6.9

1. Sep 26, 2012
    I feel like I'm biased since Vincent has always been my favorite Final Fantasy character, but this game was very fun. I've never been too into the Final Fantasy universe, and I think I love this game so much because it doesn't play like normal Final Fantasy does. There's no turn-based fighting, it's all just run in there and kill everything. The storyline was complicated and hard to followI feel like I'm biased since Vincent has always been my favorite Final Fantasy character, but this game was very fun. I've never been too into the Final Fantasy universe, and I think I love this game so much because it doesn't play like normal Final Fantasy does. There's no turn-based fighting, it's all just run in there and kill everything. The storyline was complicated and hard to follow (I've always felt Square Enix games have overly-convoluted plots) but the graphics are gorgeous and the soundtrack is great. My biggest complaint with the game is the difficulty level. Even on expert mode, it's still a very easy game and always feels a little too short for me. But, other than that, it's a very good and fun game. Expand
  2. Mar 23, 2013
    This game is an realy brilliant game.
    This game is about Vincent Valentine and that's why it's look's soo different as FF game.
    I hope Square-Enix will release the HD version of Dirge of Cerberus for ps3, Xbox360,WiiU and PC.
    Aug 28, 2006
    the graphics and the story are amazing.i also liked very much the soundtracks, Redemtion and Longing, very much.
  4. MarkJ.
    Oct 10, 2006
    A must have one of the best Final Fantasy games ever made.
  5. itsmecloudstrife...
    Aug 23, 2006
    me i like the game its not about the endless shooting and its not about the contorls if thats what u are angry about then u truly dont know FF7 its all about story and the story so far is great all i know is that they should up the grapics a lil bit that or relase this game for the ps3 when it comes out cause thats all we have to look for cause i read some where that the FF7 remake was ame i like the game its not about the endless shooting and its not about the contorls if thats what u are angry about then u truly dont know FF7 its all about story and the story so far is great all i know is that they should up the grapics a lil bit that or relase this game for the ps3 when it comes out cause thats all we have to look for cause i read some where that the FF7 remake was a lie and they showed us they COULD make it but they dont think they will but any ways great game id get it but wait for the prices to go down its a bit costly Expand
  6. Sep 22, 2010
    Dirge Of Cerberus is a great game if you approach it with an open mind. It looks great and, once you get used to it, it's a lot of fun to play. If your a fan of FF VII and are in need of some fan service or are a fan of console shooters you should check this out. If your not that fond of the FF VII universe or really can't stand console shooters you might want to pass it up for a real RPGDirge Of Cerberus is a great game if you approach it with an open mind. It looks great and, once you get used to it, it's a lot of fun to play. If your a fan of FF VII and are in need of some fan service or are a fan of console shooters you should check this out. If your not that fond of the FF VII universe or really can't stand console shooters you might want to pass it up for a real RPG or a real shooter. While the main story is very short it is also rather good and if your wanting more to do after the bonus missions are enough to keep you going for a while after. Just don't expect to be playing it for weeks or months like most games that have Final Fantasy in the title. Expand
  7. SeanC.
    Aug 20, 2006
    It seems that the industry did not like this game much at all. The main reason i play final fantasy games is for a great cinematic experiance, and by no doubt dirge of cerebrus delivers on this aspect. The gun play feels out dated and is way too easy, but at the end of the day the story just makes this game worth while.
  8. AlexM.
    Aug 29, 2006
    Besides this game being like a total shooting gallery the story is easy to get into. My main problem is that you get stuck with Yuffie and Cait Sith while cloud is probably out doing somthing awesome. This game leaves Vincent Valentine for you to play appealing to many fans.
  9. AkeemG.
    Sep 5, 2008
    Dirge of Cerberus is the only good game that Sqare Enix has ever made and it is the only game from Square Enix that truly deserves to be called FINAL FANTASY.The sound effects and the music could have been a little bit more better but the story was nice and the gameplay is a lot of fun. I also love to see the trailer that plays at the title screen when you let the controller idle for a Dirge of Cerberus is the only good game that Sqare Enix has ever made and it is the only game from Square Enix that truly deserves to be called FINAL FANTASY.The sound effects and the music could have been a little bit more better but the story was nice and the gameplay is a lot of fun. I also love to see the trailer that plays at the title screen when you let the controller idle for a while.I usually don't care about the graphics but I'll throw a bone out there and say that the CG movie scenes were realistic. Expand
  10. ERB
    Jul 30, 2013
    This game is one of the best Final Fantasy Games I have ever played.
  11. May 11, 2014
    I know what you're all thinking: "What was Square Enix on when they decided to turn Final Fantasy 7 into a shooter?" Well I can't say for certain; but with that idea turning out to be as awesome as this, I want some.
    Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII is a very unique game among Squenix's other titles, in that despite having Final Fantasy in the title, the thing plays next to nothing like a FF game. Why is that? Because it's a third-person-shooter. Yes, you read that right.
    So right off the bat, you'll be able to tell that this is going to be a terrible FF game; but does it work as a simple shooter game? The answer, surprisingly, is yes. The gameplay is very smooth, it controls pretty dang well, you get a variety of guns that you can upgrade to increase damage, and it really does feel satisfying to play.
    That is to say that doesn't mean that FF7 fans can't enjoy it too, as the game still has a few FF mechanics fans will be familiar with. For instance, one can also fire different types of magic at enemies instead of bullets, picking up potions and ether regains your lost health and mako points, and a special 'limit breaker' item that turns you into a large beast, refills your health bar, and fires limitless magical homing-projectiles. Presentation-wise, it still has that Square Enix feel to it. That being said, there are still a few issues that I feel should be addressed with the positives. First of all: The traditional Square Enix cinematics; they're all there, and they are gorgeous. They look absolutely incredible, as can be expected from this company. Even the cutscenes with the in-game character models are pretty well done, never once do the characters look unalive or completely devoid of emotion (well, one is, but that's the point of her character). However, you're probably gonna want to get used to those cutscenes as there are a LOT of them. They really do come in abundance, and there will be times when you just want to move on to the next stage. Not to mention the really annoying part of the cutscenes where every single time the scene cuts to a different location, you have to go through a load-time. They only last 3-5 seconds, but there are a LOT of them.
    Luckily for this game, the story is pretty good; it's not as great as the original FF7, but it still has plenty of emotion and strong narrative in it. The story focuses on the game's protagonist, Vincent Valentine; who many FF7 fans will remember as the cool-looking dark, broody guy with the long red cape, golden claw-gauntlet and triple-barreled gun. The plot revolves around Vincent learning the truth about his past, of the chaotic power stored within him, and how he must tame and use it to save the world when an evil organization arises to awaken an all-powerful being to purge the planet of all life. Several other popular characters make a return in this game, namely the over-confident and perky Yuffie Kisaragi, the wacky cat-puppet Cait Sith, and the loud-mouthed cigar-chompin' Cid Highwind, who aide Vincent on his adventure. Cloud, Tifa and Barret are there too, but they really don't show up that much; but honestly, I was okay with that because Cloud's story has already been told. This is Vincent's story, it's his time to shine and his turn to be the hero. And lord almighty does he make a badass hero!
    Back on subject, another staple of FF games are the beautiful locales, which are sadly absent in this game. Lovely sunny fields, bright neon theme parks and pretty crystal caves, all gone in favor of dark canyons, warehouses and sewers. Typical generic FPS locations. So yeah, that's kind of a downer. Another thing worth noting is that the stages are all pretty linear. Personally I don't mind this as linearity in games never really bothered me, but this is Final Fantasy, a series well-known for its open-world environments; so I can perfectly understand why that would turn a lot of people off. The length of the game isn't very spectacular; it's undeniably short for a FF game. Now that I think about it, it was pretty short for a shooter as well. The music ranges from really awesome to just okay; and the difficulty is hardly impressive. For the most part, DoC: FF7 is very easy. I only remember dying once on average difficulty, during the second-to-last boss. You're probably going to find more satisfying challenge on the harder setting.
    But other than that, Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII is still worth a try. The gameplay is fun, the story is told well, and the final stage is just so damn epic. If you compare it to the original FF7, you're not going to have much fun. But if you treat it like its own thing, want a continuation of the FF7 storyline, or are just in the mood for a fun little shooter, I highly recommend picking this up if you can find it, you may be pleasantly surprised.
  12. May 29, 2015
    It wasn't anything groundbreaking, and was lackluster when compared to miracles like FFVII which it descended from, but overall it has nice immersion, a story that's better than many other games, and it was very accommodating for new players. The EX mission were great challenges and good for advanced players. Of course it could've been better, but overall it was the only game I playedIt wasn't anything groundbreaking, and was lackluster when compared to miracles like FFVII which it descended from, but overall it has nice immersion, a story that's better than many other games, and it was very accommodating for new players. The EX mission were great challenges and good for advanced players. Of course it could've been better, but overall it was the only game I played for several months because I had lots of fun with it! Expand

#12 Most Discussed PS2 Game of 2006
#9 Most Shared PS2 Game of 2006

For those not as blinded by fandom, this game proves to be just a ploy for money and a demonstration of slow degradation of the Final Fantasy series.
  2. Mediocre at best gameplay coupled with graphical bliss and a lengthy story guarantee huge sales, but you’d be much better off waiting a month and getting FF XII as this is no RPG and it’s no picnic. [JPN Import]
  3. It's a unique take on the FPS, RPG and action genres, but at the same time Dirge of Cerberus doesn’t execute either of these genres extremely well. If you’re willing to be patient with the game’s controls Dirge of Cerberus offers a new experience and more background on the Final Fantasy VII universe. [JPN Import]