Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 3 PlayStation 2

• Publisher: Atari
  • Release Date: Nov 16, 2004
8.9

1. Jul 5, 2012
    This game was the best game for fighting ever! I love it and i've played it so much that the disk is too scratched up now lol so now I gotta buy another one! =D
  2. May 10, 2012
    Let me start off by saying that Dragon Ball is my favorite anime/manga, and for that matter fictitious series of all time. So when a new DBZ game is announced you can be sure I would check it out. And as expected, this doesn't disappoint. The improved setups into juggles (the main meat of the combos) coupled with canceling charged attacks (non-Capsule and Capsule alike) unlocks a myriad ofLet me start off by saying that Dragon Ball is my favorite anime/manga, and for that matter fictitious series of all time. So when a new DBZ game is announced you can be sure I would check it out. And as expected, this doesn't disappoint. The improved setups into juggles (the main meat of the combos) coupled with canceling charged attacks (non-Capsule and Capsule alike) unlocks a myriad of ways to keep you opponent of the ground. The ability to sway and teleport for defensive purposes is also a nice introduction and keeps the battle fast-paced and entertaining. The new abilities of Dragon Rush and Hyper Mode are easy to use and very pleasing to the eye and awesome. The visuals when doling out an Ultimate or a Dragon Rush is nothing short of amazing. All in all, gameplay is vastly improved. Story Mode this time, known as Dragon Universe, is different from the previous 2 entries, in that you follow a character's "life" so to speak throughout their entire journey in Dragon Ball Z. You choose a character from the start and fight all the battles he fought during Z while traversing the Dragon Ball world (looking for Zeni, Capsules, and POI's). The burst flying during world travel is especially cool (in particular, when you do Vegeta's DU and are in control of Majin Vegeta). However, the fights are not sequential since you only control one character. If I choose Goku, and win my fight with Captain Ginyu, I am jumping straight to Goku's next fight against Frieza. I wouldn't have the opportunity to fight Frieza as either Vegeta, Piccolo, Krillin or Gohan. Their fights are accessible in their respective DU's though. As you play through the DU, you gain EXP points to spend on attributes like health, ki, special arts etc. all which increase. For each EXP, you go one level up; this continues until Lvl 99. Other than that, the standard World Tournament and Vs. modes return to occupy one. All in all, one of my favorite games ever. Expand
  3. CurtisS.
    Sep 13, 2005
    The game was the sh.t and is the coolest.
  4. BillB.
    Jan 7, 2005
    Looks okay, but it's not a deep game at all.
  5. Jul 11, 2011
    Few, at least they got rid of that board mess, anyway, this is creative and fully entertaining. The flying section ( similar to the GBA adaptations) really didn't expected . The story is more accessible ( they narrated better this time) and the new enemies was exciting.
  6. Sep 24, 2012
    This game is amazing! It had good fighting, and dodging mechanics! It is one of the best dragon ball z game!
  7. Oct 7, 2015
    How fan of dragon ball z i think the game is ok, but as a fan of fighting games i think It's very mediocre, the characters feel the same and the skill system allows you to create unbeatable characters, the worst of all is the dragon rush system that depends entirely on luck.
  8. AB
    Feb 2, 2005
    Atari has finally put some effort into making a decent fighting game for "Dragon Ball Z" fans. Too bad I'm not one of them. I rented this game because it has pretty good reviews, plus I was craving a fighting game. But the problem is that I just came from playing "Dead or Alive Ultimate." "Budokai 3" has nothing near the replay value of "DOA." There are fewer moves and the graphics Atari has finally put some effort into making a decent fighting game for "Dragon Ball Z" fans. Too bad I'm not one of them. I rented this game because it has pretty good reviews, plus I was craving a fighting game. But the problem is that I just came from playing "Dead or Alive Ultimate." "Budokai 3" has nothing near the replay value of "DOA." There are fewer moves and the graphics are good, but no where near "DOA." This is a great fighting game but would be better if it were released five years ago. It just can't stand up to "Soul Calibur II," "Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution," or the "Dead or Alive" series. Expand
  9. LockeA.
    Oct 22, 2004
    Es lo mejor jamas creao.
  10. ChazS.
    Jan 5, 2005
    This is the best game in the world.
  11. MarcD.
    Jan 8, 2005
    The best and most visually beautiful DBZ game ever. I've played them all since the old fighting games on the Super NES...and this is just in a class of it's own. Brilliant stuff.
    Jan 9, 2005
    Super game. with a few minor quirks. number one not being able to fly at will in a battle . I know the creator of the game says he thinks it's not a big part of the show . I say bull poop . anyone who has seen dbz for an instant will know that 5 seconds into a fight and the characters rush into the to duke it out. when krillan and goku learned to fly in the end of the originalSuper game. with a few minor quirks. number one not being able to fly at will in a battle . I know the creator of the game says he thinks it's not a big part of the show . I say bull poop . anyone who has seen dbz for an instant will know that 5 seconds into a fight and the characters rush into the to duke it out. when krillan and goku learned to fly in the end of the original dragonball everyone on the show made a big deal about it on the show. not being able to crouch is not that bad (it would be useless to crouch with brolly and evading makes up for that) finally not being able to jump is kind of anoying but I can live with it. what I like is the voices are just like the show,I also like to teleport evading and the x evade dodge. The fact that you can counter the teleport dodge with another teleport is really cool (well the show says its not teleporting its pure speed, the teleport is called instant transmision). I would have liked to see a few animated clips the opening was well done but no ending animation was made. all it says is "congradulations" when you beat it with all the characters. (it's like the programers are saying "hey are you gonna eat that last congradulations" .."no I'm gonna put it in the game so they can get a congradulations when they win") I mean why make such a good game with no endings. the story mode is good but it would be cool to have full animated endings for each character (that is not to much to ask from a ps2 game) besides the dragon rush teleport and evade the fighting engine is the same as the previous two games so it's not like they can't put add some endings. they still make money off the game they might even make more. also not putting in characters like master roshi jeice burter goldo and chi chi and pan is not very cool but I did buy it and i do love it. Expand
  13. AdamJ.
    Mar 3, 2005
    This game is pretty good u shood be able to fly any time u want though also it should include more moves like tekken and could at least include other chars that havent been on bodukai that shoud've been like jace,gouldo, ppl like other than that this game is good.
  14. JordanT.
    May 13, 2005
    This is the most beautiful game of all time!!!! Well, at least the best Dragonball Z game of all time. And screw all of you who thinks this game is pathetic and mediocre!!!!
  15. TinasheM.
    Nov 7, 2004
    The best game in the whole world.
  16. JasonK.
    Nov 8, 2004
    Are you able to turn ssj4 goku and ssj4vegeta on dragonballz budokai3, O yeah what is that defense thang?do you have to press the same button as the oppent or what im kinda confussed about that but jux hitt me up and tell me about it iight /PEACE (PeaNutt).
  17. ScottG.
    Nov 9, 2004
    The sayien overdrive fighting sytem is so cool you can make an a exsplosion and you can see it exsplode on the earth and the bigger the exsplosion the bigger the crater.
  18. PedroG.
    Dec 7, 2004
    The best DB ever made cool moves Son goku SSJ4 very nice.
  19. MattE.
    Jan 10, 2005
    Decent game. kinda gets boring after the 3rd day. im sure glad i rented it. boy would i be kicking myself right now. no cenimetics at all, thats the big downer that could of made this game a 8 or pissibly a 9. oh well . myabe the 4th one will be better.
  20. MonkeyL.
    Dec 10, 2005
    Beautiful presentation.
  21. NickA.
    Jul 22, 2005
    One of the best DBZ games ever... but gameplay can get old and losing to the same person over and over can get very annoying. still, over all its a must buy for any DBZ fan.
  22. NightmareVegetaKingVegeta
    Aug 3, 2005
    This is the best Part of Budokai, This is Budokai3. This is the best of the best, Becasue there are many characters, many moves, New fighting system. And More AND MORE. If you really would like to play an excellent game then you should play this great game.........I give 10 becasue it's really 10 because this is the Best One For Ever..... See Yeah......Bye
  23. VickN.
    Jul 17, 2006
    better then the begining but at da same time its too complicated (have to push 2 manybuttons just for a finish move) but worth it.
  24. DaraS.
    Nov 20, 2004
    It has incredible tatics and uniqe characters.
  25. WilliamK.
    Dec 17, 2004
    This game is awesome. As a massive fan of the series, I love it, but it expanded so much on the previous 2, I couldn't believe it. People who say this has no depth aren't playing it right. It has stun moves, juggle combos and cancel moves, as well as the teleport ability. Dragon Rush is frustrating though as it is too hit and miss, but with skill, you will never be hit by it This game is awesome. As a massive fan of the series, I love it, but it expanded so much on the previous 2, I couldn't believe it. People who say this has no depth aren't playing it right. It has stun moves, juggle combos and cancel moves, as well as the teleport ability. Dragon Rush is frustrating though as it is too hit and miss, but with skill, you will never be hit by it anyway. I can't help but do the fusion dance while performing the SS4 Gogeta fusion, and if anyone cares, I take Goku's position, from the right. Expand
  26. SamV.
    Dec 2, 2004
    It's the best DBZ game.but i think that it should have every character from DB, DBZ, and DBGT.
  27. MaganY.
    Dec 14, 2005
    Let put this in 1 word: brilliant After 2 underwhelming but fun games in the Budokai franchise, Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 3 is arguably the best game yet in the DBZ license The fights recreate the energetic action of the show and it's awesome, go play it.
  28. JakeT.
    Mar 14, 2005
    It is better than all the other dbz games, but the fighting is all the same! The only thing i like better is new charactors and u can fly around. They have new charactors like omega shenron,broly and uub.You can also be ss4 goku and ss4 vegeta.But you should rent it or borrow it from a friend before you buy it.
  29. OmarS.
    Aug 29, 2005
    I dont care what those asses think of this game. this is the best dragonballz game yet. doa is just crap comepare to this game you know well see ya.
  30. JoeyR.
    Dec 24, 2004
    This is a great game.I mean look at the difference between the first budki and the third budki.In story mode there are a lot more levels.But one of my favorite things are the wider character selection.You can be people that dont show up alot in the series such as Bardock, Broly and characters that dont really fight alot either like Krillian, Tein,and even cooler.But one thing I would likeThis is a great game.I mean look at the difference between the first budki and the third budki.In story mode there are a lot more levels.But one of my favorite things are the wider character selection.You can be people that dont show up alot in the series such as Bardock, Broly and characters that dont really fight alot either like Krillian, Tein,and even cooler.But one thing I would like to see in budki four If funamation makes one. Is create your own character and choose what they look like and hair color stuff like that and choose what race they are.But would be cool is if you chose sayin you could do sayin missions and destroy planets and work your way to a general in the sayin army.It would also be cool if you could walk around a planet like the grand theft auto series.this game is awesome. Expand
  31. Sep 15, 2013
    If you're a Dragon Ball Z fan, you need to do two things:

1. Watch the new DBZ Anime movie Battle of Gods (Cause it's freaking amazing!) 2. PLAY THIS EPIC BEAST OF A GAME! Seriously, I've never had more fun playing a fighting game than I've had with Budokai 3. Everything's perfect, there's not a single thing that doesn't resemble the legendary DBZ. All we need now is a Ultimate
    If you're a Dragon Ball Z fan, you need to do two things:

1. Watch the new DBZ Anime movie Battle of Gods (Cause it's freaking amazing!)
    2. PLAY THIS EPIC BEAST OF A GAME!

Seriously, I've never had more fun playing a fighting game than I've had with Budokai 3. Everything's perfect, there's not a single thing that doesn't resemble the legendary DBZ. All we need now is a Ultimate Budokai game with Battle of Gods Kami to Kami Characters!
  32. Jan 29, 2014
    The budokai and the tenkaichi series made my childhood alongside with the anime they are based one. One of the greatest fighting games, if you really are a dbz fan. Go get it!
  33. Aug 6, 2013
    DBZ Budokai 3 was the first Dragon Ball fighting game I ever played, and it is amazing, Great controls, a good cast of characters, a amazing soundtrack, a story mode that recreates the original series very well (though Budokai 1 had a better story mode), And its just so much fun to play. I recommend it to fans of DBZ and fighting games
  34. Apr 3, 2015
    | |

| |
    -----------------------------------------------

#22 Most Discussed PS2 Game of 2004
#9 Most Shared PS2 Game of 2004

It's hard to find any major faults with Budokai 3. With 40 characters from Dragon Ball Z and Dragon Ball GT, the Saiyan Overdrive System, and an ambitious new story mode, I'm absolutely blown away by this game. If you're a DBZ fan like me, there's no reason to think you won't be too.
  2. You can only ride on the license for so long before things get stale, and that's exactly what's happened here. If you loved the first two, you'll still probably love this one, but when do fighting game fans get to have fun with a DBZ game?
    The game is extremely fast.