8.8

1. Feb 3, 2014
    Deceptively simple in appearance, (an old-school RPG for old-school's sake) Dragon Quest is an unforgiving beast. There are save points only in towns, throws random battles around like confetti and demands that the player grind a level or two before moving from one quest location to the next. Can be cruelly unfair, frustrating, and annoying, but also rewarding.
  2. Apr 23, 2011
    Dragon Quest VIII looks great, feels refreshing, and isn't just another anime-influenced turn-based RPG. Pros: Fantastic graphics; colorful visuals; variety of characters and secrets. Cons: The storyline is a hit-or-miss; a tad bit long of a quest for some gamers.
  3. Oct 24, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I gave it a 7 because of how cheap it was, being a game only playable with a guide.

But tonight this game raises up to a 10 for one reason: my dearest pet parrot loved its music, it was "our" game, we loved its music and we spent days listening to the intro theme.

I only wanted to re-write this review because I felt the need to say that for as much as it's flawed, it'll have a special place in my heart because of my pet, who passed away after 13 years together. You loved this music and I made you listen to it before you left me.

Rest in peace, dear friend Chico. Your journey has ended, and now you deserve your rest.
  4. Mar 1, 2013
    Dragon Quest VIII has a traditional turn based battle system, an orchestral soundtrackm and good voice acting (Yangus). But most of all i like the world in which DQ VIII takes place.
  5. Oct 13, 2014
    Great game! One of the games i look foward to play again - would love to see HD remake on PS Vita.
    When playing this game You can almost feel the atmosphere of great adventure in the air + i loved concept of collecting monsters to add them to Your team. And the alchemy was also fun. Only true flaw for me was the idea of silent main character.
    I sold my PS2 and now this is the one game
    I sold my PS2 and now this is the one game that I soo miss.. This and Odins Sphere.
    Graphics 9/10
    Sound 9/10
    Gameplay 9/10
    Verdict: It doesnt get full 10, because it hasnt got that good story, it makes You fight silly thing like slimes, but its really so damn fun and You get to appreciate this title after You finish it and when You think of this game You feel that You miss that something what You had when You played it..
  6. Mar 24, 2014
    The best Dragon Quest ever made. An ageless masterpiece, probably the best RPG for PS2. It's a gorgeous cel-shaded open world, nearly a decade later it still looks luscious and vibrant. My only complaints are that only a select few armours appear wearable when the character equips them, also the NPCs just run around in circles instead of having daily schedules. The day/night cycle isThe best Dragon Quest ever made. An ageless masterpiece, probably the best RPG for PS2. It's a gorgeous cel-shaded open world, nearly a decade later it still looks luscious and vibrant. My only complaints are that only a select few armours appear wearable when the character equips them, also the NPCs just run around in circles instead of having daily schedules. The day/night cycle is beautiful aesthetically & it influences NPCs and monsters. You can collect monsters for your monster team, which reminds me very much of Pokémon games. A ton of content, exquisite polish, unbelievable that this is a PS2 game, truly squeezed each drop out of the system's capabilities. Expand
  7. Feb 16, 2015
    As a longtime Dragon Quest fan, Dragon Quest VIII still wears the crown of the best Dragon Quest game in the series. From the beginning to the end, it's a charming, imaginative experience of a role-playing game with traditional turn-based gameplay mechanics, beautiful open-world environments, memorable music and a unique, interesting cast of characters. With the series' recent return toAs a longtime Dragon Quest fan, Dragon Quest VIII still wears the crown of the best Dragon Quest game in the series. From the beginning to the end, it's a charming, imaginative experience of a role-playing game with traditional turn-based gameplay mechanics, beautiful open-world environments, memorable music and a unique, interesting cast of characters. With the series' recent return to PlayStation, I can only hope that Dragon Quest XI will be just as amazing. Expand
  8. Mar 16, 2012
    This game is FANTASTIC! I really wish Metacritic had a 0-100 rating scale, since I don't give out perfect scores, but this game deserves a 97. I have been a fan ever since I beat the original Dragon Quest (Dragon Warrior) on NES when I was a kid. I then beat 2 and 3, and forgot about the series until now. I'd heard good things about this game, but I had no idea what I was in for when IThis game is FANTASTIC! I really wish Metacritic had a 0-100 rating scale, since I don't give out perfect scores, but this game deserves a 97. I have been a fan ever since I beat the original Dragon Quest (Dragon Warrior) on NES when I was a kid. I then beat 2 and 3, and forgot about the series until now. I'd heard good things about this game, but I had no idea what I was in for when I picked it up. The graphics (for the PS2) and music are utterly astounding. The characters fit in the game, and can be quite hilarious at times. Everything in this game is highly polished, and as good as it possibly can be. I beat this game over the course of a few weeks, and it wasn't until I was finished that I realized I put in over 80 hours on this game. Some games take a long time, and you really notice it. THIS game, however, takes a long time, and you're none the wiser. Isn't that exactly what we want in video games? Brand new worlds so immersive that we forget about ours? Expand
  9. Mar 15, 2012
    Dragon quest 8 is an ambitious game, Audio/video is incredible, but the gameplay... It feels like it's a game from the early 90's with modern graphic. You can save only in churches, and I mean, only! This means that you have to explore whole dungeons, and the more you go forward the more you are afraid to die and do it all over again. This would have not been an issue if combat was fasterDragon quest 8 is an ambitious game, Audio/video is incredible, but the gameplay... It feels like it's a game from the early 90's with modern graphic. You can save only in churches, and I mean, only! This means that you have to explore whole dungeons, and the more you go forward the more you are afraid to die and do it all over again. This would have not been an issue if combat was faster paced, instead we can spend lots of minutes for the lesser battles, and the reward is... well few money and who-knows-how-much exp.
    Yes because if you want to know how close you are to leveling, you have to go back to a church and ask to a priest. when I wanted to grind I had to take pen and paper and calculate the exp after every battle. Not exactly user friendly.
  10. Jun 29, 2011
    Great, GREAT RPG. While Dragon Quest VIII does not re-invent the wheel, it definitely has perfected it. It just gets so much right, and it's no surprise considering the creators behind it. The combat is consistently challenging with some awesome boss fights that will really challenge your RPG skills. You absolutely have to pay attention, which is refreshing for an RPG. The story is simpleGreat, GREAT RPG. While Dragon Quest VIII does not re-invent the wheel, it definitely has perfected it. It just gets so much right, and it's no surprise considering the creators behind it. The combat is consistently challenging with some awesome boss fights that will really challenge your RPG skills. You absolutely have to pay attention, which is refreshing for an RPG. The story is simple yet wonderfully told with some touching moments throughout. The graphics, while simple, are carefully crafted with heavy attention to detail. Every room, enemy, and scene is crafted with care. The game is also huge. Lots of secrets, lots to see, lots to do, and a long story to play through. It will take you 60 hours easily to finish the main quest. My only criticism is that the skill system is quite vague. While I enjoy the surprise of finding out that next ability, you never know how many points you need for the next ability or what you're going to get. It really makes planning your party out a bit more arbitrary than I'd prefer. So it's always a shot in the dark when you choose to go with swords versus scythes, but a minor gripe to be sure, when the combat and game play is so expertly done and consistently entertaining. I'm currently doing my second play through and I'm having as much fun as I had the first time through. A true sign of a wonderfully crafted RPG. It's just plain FUN. Expand
  11. Dec 31, 2014
    Great game, different from modern versions of RPGs. Not for everyone, the cheesy british voices may not be for everyone, but IMO adds charm to this amazing game. I've read some negative reviews, most of them saying that its to diffcult and unfair, while I admit that leveling up can be a bit frustrating it does't overshadow most of the gorgeous masterpiece that is this game. this is noGreat game, different from modern versions of RPGs. Not for everyone, the cheesy british voices may not be for everyone, but IMO adds charm to this amazing game. I've read some negative reviews, most of them saying that its to diffcult and unfair, while I admit that leveling up can be a bit frustrating it does't overshadow most of the gorgeous masterpiece that is this game. this is no final fantasy, this game's hard if you are underlevel, but not impossible, not having save points inside dungeons, well this is an "old school" rpg, not final fantasy or any of the new ones that has a save point every new screen, you need to think your battles and know when its okay to fight and when you have to flee,

Pros: Tons of secrets, quick learning curve, hints to make better weapons, side quests, mini games, MONSTER ARENA, lovable characters, 60+ hours worth. No wonder DQ series is so loved in Japan.

Cons: excesive grinding, until you learn zing theres no cheap way to revive a fallen comrade,
  12. May 20, 2012
    My favorite RPG ever. Perfectly made, structured.....everything! You know how you play several games and switch them in and out as your mood strikes you? This is the ONLY game EVER that once I stuck it in I never took it out until the end. I never wanted to play anything else but this for weeks. There is a lot of battles but that's what the Holy Water is for to keep those pesky monstersMy favorite RPG ever. Perfectly made, structured.....everything! You know how you play several games and switch them in and out as your mood strikes you? This is the ONLY game EVER that once I stuck it in I never took it out until the end. I never wanted to play anything else but this for weeks. There is a lot of battles but that's what the Holy Water is for to keep those pesky monsters away when your really just trying to find something. It's got everything you couldever want in there...like Ragu: "It's in there!" Expand
  13. May 20, 2016
    This is one of the most beautiful games you can find on PS2. The graphics, voice acting and characters are all amazing.
    The story is great but, IMO, weaker than in DQ4/5/7.
    The story is great but, IMO, weaker than in DQ4/5/7.
    The reason why I gave it only 9 lies in DQ series overall tendency to stay loyal to its roots in some parts of the gameplay. Random battles and saving in churches are slowing down the game's pace and become really annoying by the middle of the game.

Nevertheless, the game is really fun to play, especially if you are DQ fan.
  14. Jan 20, 2012
    Having been a HUGE fan of DQ since the very early 90's, I can say that this is the absolute pinacle of the jrpg. It is a semi-slow grind-fest, but if you're into jrpg's that's probably what you like anyway. A twelve year old obsessed with Skyrim (which is great btw) may find this game terribly boring and unrewarding, and that's okay. This game,despite the cel-shaded graphics was notHaving been a HUGE fan of DQ since the very early 90's, I can say that this is the absolute pinacle of the jrpg. It is a semi-slow grind-fest, but if you're into jrpg's that's probably what you like anyway. A twelve year old obsessed with Skyrim (which is great btw) may find this game terribly boring and unrewarding, and that's okay. This game,despite the cel-shaded graphics was not made for them. It is an homage to DQ's fans, and a spectacular one! Expand
  15. Oct 30, 2010
    This game is a masterpiece!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  16. Jun 12, 2011
    Tedious, lame story line, obvious expectations from people you need stuff from ie you have to go out of your way to get a lame item. Unlike the final fantasy series with a balanced level up period, dq8 presses for long level up time or be owned by our nasty sea ocean monsters. The dialogue seems to be read out, majority characters lack emotion in their voice and lack personality. game getsTedious, lame story line, obvious expectations from people you need stuff from ie you have to go out of your way to get a lame item. Unlike the final fantasy series with a balanced level up period, dq8 presses for long level up time or be owned by our nasty sea ocean monsters. The dialogue seems to be read out, majority characters lack emotion in their voice and lack personality. game gets unfairly difficult in a short distance in certain areas which calls for a night at the inn. If a good lvl up is wanted you have to prepare yourself almost a few days of playing ( if you are playing 8 hours a day) to start gaining levels at a good pace due to the building of items that can give you some hope of not starting at a save point again or losing your gold. I dont think anybody would want to spend a day just leveling up. it gets really really boring. Some items are almost completey unused by the hero since he got its effects built in his spell list... lame! Resurrecting a character is more %&$% $&^# rather than a phew. The battle system was abit different with funny monsters and a few unique status effects which i liked. The area design and layout of towns and the surrounding nature was good to look at. Other than that not much positives. just another rpg with the same turn based system. Its nowhere near close to even ffx nor as gripping but it does manage to keep you interested.... that is if you dont get pissed at the level up time you spend then its ok. Not a complete fail and worth the buy at a bargain price. Expand
  17. Mar 13, 2013
    My best Game of ALL TIME, if anyone ever ask me which game I like the most and my answer is THIS. Story 10/10, Gameplay 10/10, music 12/10, graphic 10/10.
  18. May 10, 2016
    If you have this game you know that you have in your hands one of the greatest rpgs for ps2. The graphics are really good. It's like living in an anime serie. The plot is also good and I higly recommend to continue the optional part of the game at the ending if you want more information about of the story of the main character. It has some funny moments that lack in FFX and FFXII. TheIf you have this game you know that you have in your hands one of the greatest rpgs for ps2. The graphics are really good. It's like living in an anime serie. The plot is also good and I higly recommend to continue the optional part of the game at the ending if you want more information about of the story of the main character. It has some funny moments that lack in FFX and FFXII. The soundrack is also excellent; I would give it a 10. This game is long and like a lot of rpgs games there are moments that can be repetitive because of the battle system but specially if want to raise the level of your team. It's 2016 but I really enjoyed this game. It took me 100 hours but it was worthwhile. Expand
  19. Jun 21, 2015
    Giant luscious world to roam around in. Memorable locations to visit. Lovable character artwork by Akira Toriyama... Painfully slow story development...

Every fight nearly K.O.s your entire party, takes 10 minutes to win and then requires a trip all the way back into town to heal at the inn and save at the church... heal at the inn, save at the church... heal at the inn... There

There should have been vehicles available (and early on too). Dragons and Pegasi to fly around on. Horses and lions and/or other creatures to tame, train, level-up and ride on. Build vehicles, piece by piece from gathered material in your alchemy pot !!! ANYTHING !!!
  20. Jun 30, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Dragon quest is magic:
    Story:10/10 is incredible, sympathies with the characters and wish follow with until finish(I have finished this game in 25 hours) after the principal's story, the post game is a big battle with the king's dragon(the boss is strongest, i needed to rise my level until 70 to beat him)
    Playability:10/10 it's great, is a free world and fights are for turns
    Soundtrack :10/10 it's amazing, i love it, and always listen in my computer when i can
    Bosses: 9/10 majority are very well ,but many are very easy
    Conclusion:
    10/10 it's a masterpiece
  21. Jul 25, 2012
    this game just reminded me of how much we pc gamers need good jrpgs, i owned this game on my ps2 and it looks gorgeous now in HD,emulated. the story is great its probably the way lunar the silver star would look like if it was released in 3d ,a complete fun and involving story, great and varied enviroments , its really good! and the psyche up is so cool , the fights and battle system neverthis game just reminded me of how much we pc gamers need good jrpgs, i owned this game on my ps2 and it looks gorgeous now in HD,emulated. the story is great its probably the way lunar the silver star would look like if it was released in 3d ,a complete fun and involving story, great and varied enviroments , its really good! and the psyche up is so cool , the fights and battle system never gets boring, so fun , recommended 1000% Expand
  22. Feb 24, 2014
    This is a world that for 100+ hours will suck you in and won't let go until you're done. Beautiful graphics, extraordinary soundtrack, supreme dialogue and characters and some uber-cult-epic side-quests that it's certain that you will never forget. If you're a fan of classic JRPGs, level-grinding, Akira Toriyama, Piccolo or OUTSTANDING games, then enjoy the journey and never look back.
  23. Apr 18, 2014
    This is the game of my childhood. It is far to amazing for words. Expansive world, amazing characters, and the soundtrack is just breath taking! I have sunk so many hours into this game and I have never regretted it. If you enjoy JRPG's, this is one of the best to play.
  24. Apr 27, 2014
    This game currently holds the title for the ultimate and maybe even the pinnacle of your Dragon warrior (sorry can't help myself) experience. There is no better DQ game in the world today, due to the smashing heart break of DQX and the fun but somewhat just short of the mark DQ9 I recommend playing this game last because...you will be left saddene by the fact that you have no where else toThis game currently holds the title for the ultimate and maybe even the pinnacle of your Dragon warrior (sorry can't help myself) experience. There is no better DQ game in the world today, due to the smashing heart break of DQX and the fun but somewhat just short of the mark DQ9 I recommend playing this game last because...you will be left saddene by the fact that you have no where else to go. A true masterpiece....in ever possible way. Expand
  25. Jul 23, 2012
    Its a shame that not enough people know about this game, because it is simply phenomenal. I get nostalgic just thinking about it *sniff, but I will try to stomach it while I get through this review. Dragon quest 8 is a very traditional rpg that uses turn-based combat. WAIT ! Before you automatically write this game off as another boring old traditional RPG keep reading this review. DQ8'sIts a shame that not enough people know about this game, because it is simply phenomenal. I get nostalgic just thinking about it *sniff, but I will try to stomach it while I get through this review. Dragon quest 8 is a very traditional rpg that uses turn-based combat. WAIT ! Before you automatically write this game off as another boring old traditional RPG keep reading this review. DQ8's combat system always keeps things fresh, funny, and exciting. You'll have fun level grinding in order to accomplish various tasks and earn money for better weapons. Now as far as the story goes....Its Great! That's all Im gonna say because I don't wan to spoil anything. The music is also excellent in this game and really sets the tone for the adventure your about to embark on. All I can say is that if you haven't played this game before than you need to do it now because its too good to miss! Expand
  26. AnonymousMC
    Nov 11, 2005
    Does anyone else notice the horrible English in the brief about this game (under the picture and score)? It doesn't even make sense. A lot of Japanese games are like this now. Whatever happened to real translators instead of people using google language tools to translate everything. Also, this game is no different than any other japanese RPG, long, boring and the story is retardedDoes anyone else notice the horrible English in the brief about this game (under the picture and score)? It doesn't even make sense. A lot of Japanese games are like this now. Whatever happened to real translators instead of people using google language tools to translate everything. Also, this game is no different than any other japanese RPG, long, boring and the story is retarded (See Star Ocean, FFX, etc.). Want to play a good game? Check out Shadow of the Colossus, Star Wars: KOTOR, Neverwinter Nights, Morrowind, or Fable. Expand
  27. AnonymousMC
    Aug 6, 2008
    This game goes up with Final Fantasy XII and FF IX on my list of favorite RPG's. The sense of scale and high-quality quantity of exploration should be reason enough for any RPG fan to spazz out and obsess over for years to come. The amount of content in this game is just amazing.
  28. AnonymousMC
    Dec 7, 2008
    I couldn't even get past a couple of hours playing this game. Yes, it's difficult; but more importantly, it's tedious. Right off the bat the game seems to demand a huge amount of fight, heal, save grinding. The healing and saving part means you have to head back to town, go to the inn, sit through the dialogue and animation, head to the church, sit through the dialogue, waitI couldn't even get past a couple of hours playing this game. Yes, it's difficult; but more importantly, it's tedious. Right off the bat the game seems to demand a huge amount of fight, heal, save grinding. The healing and saving part means you have to head back to town, go to the inn, sit through the dialogue and animation, head to the church, sit through the dialogue, wait for it to save etc. Where's the fun in that? On the plus side, the graphics and music are excellent. Expand
  29. AnonymousMC
    Jan 27, 2009
    Story:
    The story is almost nonexistant in the beginning of the game and takes too long to reveal itself, and when it does, it remains just an average story. Although there are only 4 party members, each member is as shallow as if the party had 12 members.
    Gameplay: Dragon Quest VIII's gameplay is very old school which isn't a bad thing but i would've liked some twist to
    Story:
    Gameplay:
    Dragon Quest VIII's gameplay is very old school which isn't a bad thing but i would've liked some twist to it. The saying, "if it ain't broke don't fix it," remains true here. So if you're tired of the same old thing look elsewhere. This game is also very tedious. You can only save at churches which are only in towns. Going back to town just to save wastes a lot of time. Make sure you won't have anything to do later while playing this game or else you'll have to backtrack a lot.
    Graphics:
    The graphics are beautiful, vibrant and pleasing to the eye. So even if the difficult and tedious battles piss you off, you can at least enjoy the view. The character designs were also done by the same person who drew Dragon Ball. If that kind of art isn't your style then you may have a problem.
    Music:
    Like the graphics, the music ids actually pretty good. However, most of the better tracks are either underused or overused to the point where it gets annoying (I'm looking at you overworld theme).
    Overall this game is somewhat fun but it doesn't really bring anything new to the table. Think of it as an enhanced remake of preivous RPGs. Same battle system, with better production values.
  30. AnonymousMC
    May 22, 2009
    ugh...the game was fun....and ugh....it was good but i only got like a lv41 in everyone and i cant pass rhpathorne i just want to kick his fat ass to hong kong but noo there arent any hacks or stupid weird dances but overall it is a....ownage game!!!!!!!!!i tried to convince my friends to play it hehe i think its working im soo close to teh end but i dont have a slime crown i wonder if uugh...the game was fun....and ugh....it was good but i only got like a lv41 in everyone and i cant pass rhpathorne i just want to kick his fat ass to hong kong but noo there arent any hacks or stupid weird dances but overall it is a....ownage game!!!!!!!!!i tried to convince my friends to play it hehe i think its working im soo close to teh end but i dont have a slime crown i wonder if u can find one im still working on beating rhapathorne and ppl i have a little tip u know ridons tower theres a hill next to it use the god birds stone tht makes u fly and land there u fine every slime known to man so ugh... thtll make it easier to increase and u know the red slot machine in baccarat use it but its a 100 coin slot machine i got like 30,000 coins off it lmaooo Expand

#10 Most Discussed PS2 Game of 2005
#8 Most Shared PS2 Game of 2005

1. games(TM)
    For the first time in the series’ beleaguered overseas history, the game is going to hook westerners long enough to draw them in past the insane difficulty and into one of the most rewarding, player-loving games of the last decade. [JPN Import; Feb 2005, p.86]
    Dragon Quest VIII may not revolutionize the console RPG genre, but it has done one thing that all the older RPGs have strived to be: it has become the greatest classic RPG experience of all time. [JPN Import]
  3. Weekly Famitsu