• Publisher: Konami
  • Release Date: Jul 9, 2001
6.3

1. Seien
    Feb 1, 2002
    It's a pretty good game. I haven't played it that much though. *sighs* I'm trying to find the inn keepers daughter. ^__^ but being able to play the music is cool, even if I didn't have a clue how to at first.
  2. Denki
    Jan 15, 2002
    An excellent game, the mini-games are so good, The anime-style graphics are great and Rummy Rules! :)
  3. ConfusedGamer
    Sep 3, 2001
    I like it when I can't beat a game in a week, but I would like to beat it before I die. Is there a walkthrough or must I repeat the horror of five days for eternity?? (Ed: Try the CCC strategy guide)
  4. Aylee
    Nov 9, 2001
    This is just about the best game I've ever played! (After the Suikoden series that is... ^.^) It confused me a bit at first as the wedding grew nearer, cause I had no idea about the loop at the time... Anywayz, it's just a really great game!! I'm trying to get Rummy at the moment and am having a bit of trouble... Anyways.... yeah.... ^.^
  5. KaceyA.
    Aug 30, 2001
    I don't know what is going on with all these people on all these sites. They are all giving this game a bad rap already! I think it is mostly because they expect this game to be more along the lines of being Final Fantasy-ish. Well, I don't like that attitude at all. This game strives to be different from the norm, and they've done it. Sure...the graphics are a bit lacking, I don't know what is going on with all these people on all these sites. They are all giving this game a bad rap already! I think it is mostly because they expect this game to be more along the lines of being Final Fantasy-ish. Well, I don't like that attitude at all. This game strives to be different from the norm, and they've done it. Sure...the graphics are a bit lacking, but that doesn't keep it from being a great game. And people who complain about it being "too non-linear" or "too hard to figure out," have only played games like "Final Fantasy" (which are also great games) and expect everything in all the other RPGs they play to be the same. Well, sorry to say, but most of the people with an attitude like that toward any game aren't TRUE gamers. Well, then, other than the graphics lacking A LITTLE, this is a great game, and that's that. Expand
  6. EphemeralFantasiaFan
    Nov 3, 2001
    This game is so cool, and although people say the graphics aren't that great...I thought they were excellent! The characters are so cute and 3D! The game has a great story, but I have to admit it is hard, I wish I could find a better walkthrough! Plus nobody wants Mouse and Rummy to get together as much as I do!
  7. Mouse'sApprentice
    Jan 3, 2002
    The story line rocks... the expansive environment is cool... the concept of the player being able to perform songs & fight RPG battles is neat... but I can't find the bar either!
  8. WilliamM.
    Jan 12, 2002
    My hats of to Konami although its bad reviews I have to give the game credit. It is one of the hardest if not the hardest games i've ever played. Can somebody please tell me how to fix the lift to get to woodcutters village I just can't get there.
  9. JennyL.
    Dec 27, 2001
    I simply love the game, I thought everything was perfect but my brother says the game sucks and has bad sound and graphics. I'm having trouble just finding bar! So if anyone knows please email me where it is. I LOVE THE GAME! Wish me good luck and I'll wish you good luck! (and DO NOT listen to those untrue gamers they don't know nothing about games)
  10. GaryR.
    Jan 14, 2002
    The graphics could be better, however the concept of the game is superb. The idea of time looping makes the game ace. PS The bar is on the screen east of the city center near the bottom of the screen. Big building with entrance facing north. PPS to fix the lift in the woodcutters village you need to talk to the guy to the west of the lift .Then go to where you can upgrade Mouse's The graphics could be better, however the concept of the game is superb. The idea of time looping makes the game ace. PS The bar is on the screen east of the city center near the bottom of the screen. Big building with entrance facing north. PPS to fix the lift in the woodcutters village you need to talk to the guy to the west of the lift .Then go to where you can upgrade Mouse's weapon pay 1000g and then go back and talk to the guy again. Expand
  11. TreyT.
    Aug 25, 2003
    This game is amazingly great.In my opinion,people who are smart and get a Walkthrough and have patience will love this game. Those who aren't as fortunate as to get a walkthrough will miss out on a great deal of a game.One of the best RPG's i've ever played!!Without a walkthrough for this game,you're missing out on the "hidden diamond" of this game.
  12. MichaelQ.
    Oct 13, 2001
    I don't see why everyone hates this game!! The graphics, which I will admit, could be better, they still are really good! And people say there is no storyline? It had better than most.
  13. DavidR.
    Oct 17, 2001
    I thought the game was a lot of fun and different than the usual RPG's.
  14. Fang'sGirl
    Nov 10, 2002
    After going through a myriad of negative and, in my opinion, unfair reviews, I'm about ready to support those who have had the patience and will to actually play through the first loop. It seems like everyone who's reviewed badly hasn't a clue about what they're doing, and have decided to blame their own lack of patience on the game's non-linear nature. For those After going through a myriad of negative and, in my opinion, unfair reviews, I'm about ready to support those who have had the patience and will to actually play through the first loop. It seems like everyone who's reviewed badly hasn't a clue about what they're doing, and have decided to blame their own lack of patience on the game's non-linear nature. For those who are actually willing to play through and who are intelligent enough to find a walkthrough first, this is one game that you shouldn't miss. With its original nature and lovable characters (...Beak... Fang...) it's one of the most challenging and fullfilling pieces of video games I've ever played. Do yourself a favour and get a walkthrough if you think it's all that bad. Expand
  15. AndrewA.
    Sep 17, 2003
    I love this game. It may be a bit complex, but when you begin to understand, it'll fit like a glove. (Kinda like Rummy in her uniform. Heh, heh, heh.) Anyway, the only thing I hate about the game is the fact that no one has a clue how to get Mouse and Rummy together in the ending. But I won't give up! I'll keep on searching! But in the meantime, I just write down a few I love this game. It may be a bit complex, but when you begin to understand, it'll fit like a glove. (Kinda like Rummy in her uniform. Heh, heh, heh.) Anyway, the only thing I hate about the game is the fact that no one has a clue how to get Mouse and Rummy together in the ending. But I won't give up! I'll keep on searching! But in the meantime, I just write down a few fanfics based on this game. With me as the hero. Why? BECAUSE I CAN!!!!! Besides, I lo----ve Rummy!! Not just because of her figure. I'm beyond that. Her smile while she blushes is so cute, and her "Emerald Eyes" would make some of the guys wonder what it would be like to marry her! I know I do. Expand
  16. Chusha
    Jun 9, 2004
    While many have gotten used to FF style games Ephemeral Fantasia is just enough out of the FF style to make it unique and challenging. The characters are well designed and fit well into the story. And I'm sure we all wanted to see a drinking game with Rummy.
  17. JohnW.
    Jan 29, 2006
    I don't know what everyone's problem with this game is. I pity the people who think graphiscs make it bad. Graphics don't matter when it comes to good games. This game has many diverse features such as an interesting battle and technique system, a whole island with tons of characters and things to explore, many allies with differrent features, a music sub-part I don't know what everyone's problem with this game is. I pity the people who think graphiscs make it bad. Graphics don't matter when it comes to good games. This game has many diverse features such as an interesting battle and technique system, a whole island with tons of characters and things to explore, many allies with differrent features, a music sub-part that'sactually kind of fun, and so much more. As for how pain-stackingly hard it can be because of how big it is, an online of official guide can take care of the junctures of what to do and where to go. It's simply an awesome game. Expand
  18. A.D.I.
    Sep 13, 2006
    No matter how many games have come out since Ephemeral Fantasia, I've been coming back to play the Musician in the Island of Paradise. I really say that they should have continued to making a second, perhaps a bit more advanced than it's first game. I'd like to see maybe even the prequil that makes Mouse, Beak, and Fang the legendary Golden Trio.
  19. Neocryothan
    Oct 18, 2007
    Ep is a great game in a unique way. You actually have to TRY A LITTLE BIT to get some characters to join you. Yes I agree it's no FF but you are all holding the game to It's standards. If it was just like FF It wouldn't be called ephemeral fantasia now would it? And don't complain about the graphics. RPG's are about the story and depth of it's characters and Ep is a great game in a unique way. You actually have to TRY A LITTLE BIT to get some characters to join you. Yes I agree it's no FF but you are all holding the game to It's standards. If it was just like FF It wouldn't be called ephemeral fantasia now would it? And don't complain about the graphics. RPG's are about the story and depth of it's characters and the surroundings, not OH LOOK!!! YOU CAN SEE THE LEAVES ON THAT TREE THERE!! If you wanted a game with amazing graphics and don't care about story for crying out loud play a racing game. Also about the "repetitiveness" people seem to complain about. What is a sport game really? Just a bunch of guys playing with their balls for hours on end. Expand
  20. Nov 11, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is one of those games that starts slow but gets better as you play it, which itself is an indicator of bad game design, but not necessarily sure sign. The pacing is slow, but the story is gripping and even a little disturbing from the very beginning. Even if you think the game isn't good in the beginning, there's enough to keep you in it. Combat mechanics are a bit cumbersome but not as bad as some I've seen. The battlers are a bit cheesy. There's a lot of frustration in this game centered on the fact that through most of it, you simply don't know what you're supposed to do. It become clear pretty quickly that the "benevolent" ruler of the island isn't a very nice guy and generally enjoys the terrible power he wields over his unsuspecting populace, using that power to force them to live the same week over and over again, like the movie Groundhog's Day, but with an evil overlord making it miserable and extending it to five days. Hey, he can't be all bad. At least he's making them repeat a festival for the rest of eternity instead of something boring or catastrophic. The writing is superb. The evil overlord, Xelpherpolis is portrayed perfectly, seeming truly benevolent with dark and sinister overtones belying his true evil nature.

The problem with this game: IT DOES NOT TELL TELL YOU WHAT TO DO. Unlike other major productions such as Breath of Fire, Atelier, and Final Fantasy, this game doesn't hold your hand. Except for a few control tutorials, you have to explore and figure things out for yourself. This game is designed to challenge you. Instead of NPCs telling you where to go and what to do and obvious events, you have to find little clues that aren't obvious. This game requires some significant detective work and nothing demonstrates this better than the mission to rescue Rummy from the time loop, in which you have to prevent her from attempting to kill Lorellani, Xelpherpolis' future wife.

Game mechanics aren't good, but they're not bad either. They can be annoying but aren't seriously detrimental. Once you've rescued one or two playable characters, you start to understand the story and really get into the game.

All of the minor problems coupled with the slow starting, complex story make this game a bit misunderstood and under-appreciated. It's far from perfect, and a game like this is always going to have problems, but those who have the patience and enjoy exploration will find a real jewel in this game. Those who can't act without being directed need not apply.

#26 Most Discussed PS2 Game of 2001
#49 Most Shared PS2 Game of 2001

1. The few folks with the patience needed to understand the game's design goals and unusual approach will find a game with a lot of depth and a truly offbeat adventure. Those who abhor repetition and like their quests spelled out for them should stay away.
  2. A throwback to the way RPGs used to be made before polygons. With anime-style characters and a firm story and gameplay, this game should be enjoyable for anyone who can get past the graphical weaknesses.
  3. Despite the possibilty of too much repetition or worklike feeling, EF brings the first true traditional RPG to the PS2. The story is interesting, the mini-games unique, the characters vivid and the locations fascinating.