Escape from Monkey Island PlayStation 2

8.2

1. Sep 24, 2014
    It shames me to say this, but this was the first Monkey Island game I played.

It shames me to say this, but this was the first Monkey Island game I played.

I had known of the series for a long time and it just never appealed to me. But after much curiosity I had to see what all the fuss was about. To my surprise I liked it. An old school adventure game on the PS2, was a refreshing break from everything else that was out at the time. Also, there were very few games that could be labeled (primarily) as a comedy. Comedy based triple A titles are very few.

The art style is beautiful, the jokes, while a little childish, are funny and made smile and laugh allot. But for all its praise, I can see why there were so few of these games in its day on console. It's style simply just wasn't a good fit anymore.

Overall:
    Thanks to this game, I fell in love with the Monkey Island series and I am glad I got a chance to play this.
  2. DerekG.
    Sep 20, 2005
    I want monkey island 4.
  3. MortenR.
    Feb 5, 2002
    I love it. Funnier than ever. The graphics rock!
  4. RhysP.
    Sep 1, 2001
    As a devoted Monkey Island fan, I found it to be an excellent 4th chapter in a great series of games. I preferred it in the classic cartoon media, but Lucasarts have pulled it off as a computer animated title that is a joy to play. Some problems with loading times.
  5. MattH.
    Jul 17, 2001
    I really liked it, it's another great game from Lucas Arts, the only thing I didn't like is the fact that there's only a limited number of things you can take but overall I thought it was a great game.
  6. AlexK.
    Jun 30, 2001
    As a devoted fan of the entire series and of all LucasArts graphic adventures in general, I obviously have a huge bias towards loving this game. It truly is fantastic, but what's most surprising is that the console version is so far superior to the PC one. Not only is the control scheme infinitely more intuitive, but the absence of hardward specs and inclusion of DualShock makes it a As a devoted fan of the entire series and of all LucasArts graphic adventures in general, I obviously have a huge bias towards loving this game. It truly is fantastic, but what's most surprising is that the console version is so far superior to the PC one. Not only is the control scheme infinitely more intuitive, but the absence of hardward specs and inclusion of DualShock makes it a much more enjoyable experience. If you like adventures, buy the game: it's the best out there for the PS2 (yes, better than "Shadow of Destiny"). I only refrain from giving it a 10 because of the occasionally annoying load times and the very occasionally obscure puzzle that we all knew would be in there. Expand

#86 Most Discussed PS2 Game of 2001
#43 Most Shared PS2 Game of 2001

1. The game’s best aspect by far is the sound – and the hours of dialogue which make up the base of the game’s audio.
    Everything that made EFMI so great on the PC arrives on the PS2 perfectly intact. The game’s many puzzles are perfectly balanced.
    It looks good, it's easy to control, it has classic puzzles, and more than anything, it's a heck of a laugh. All that, and monkeys to boot.