5.3

1. Andyman
    Aug 13, 2006
    Sure it has some flaws, every launch title does. What Eternal Ring does possess that very few games have is oddly compelling gameplay that just seems to become more and more fun as you invest more time. The incredibly deep magic ring creation system is sheer genius. As several reviewers have noted, it's a game for patient people... and those people will be richly rewarded for their time.
  2. Aug 8, 2011
    It's not a perfect game by any means. Some enemies are downright annoying, in fact, and it's a bit short for my taste (although I skipped a lot of side exploration, that's the beauty of games like this, they hide so much secret stuff).

Despite this it's very atmospheric (for the time, I mean, it's based on a PS1 engine!), and the various notes, scraps of lore, and hidden items and places (plus the 1st person camera) really give you a sense of being IN the adventure, exploring a very weird island.

In general, this game could certainly be better, but it just seems to make you feel like it's a real (and depraved) world, and you keep getting drawn in to the semi-open world and all the weird caves and dragons and weird evil rat-candle-things...

Aside from a few minor frustrations, this game is definitely one you should put some time into.
  2. Dungeon-crawling, hack-and-slash, spell-casting, first-person RPG action at its console best, pretentious story and dated graphics not withstanding.
  3. This feels like what it is -- a rushed, early RPG that didn't receive the time or care needed to turn it into a fun game.