• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: Mar 22, 2005
8.9

1. Sep 20, 2012
    (Translate from Portuguese into English)O começo do que seria a melhor trilogia que já joguei,tudo é perfeito nele (para a época),a batalha final é épica,Kratos conquistou uma legião de fãs com este jogo,acho que foi o jogo que mais vezes zerei.
  2. Feb 2, 2013
    I was reading the negative reviews of this game and its just like... Oh this game's music is horrible. Then turn the music off. "It's too hard and there is so much blood..." First of all games dont suck because there hard and this is god of war, there is tons of blood. No that that done with we can review this awesome game. The story is good but the game lacks a lot of cutscenes so youI was reading the negative reviews of this game and its just like... Oh this game's music is horrible. Then turn the music off. "It's too hard and there is so much blood..." First of all games dont suck because there hard and this is god of war, there is tons of blood. No that that done with we can review this awesome game. The story is good but the game lacks a lot of cutscenes so you will find you self a few hours brefor something happens. The game presents it self well though. The music is awesome not much to complain about, The gameplay is superb and the QTE's can be hard but are extremely satisfying. The blades of chaos are extremely good but late game you will prbabaly ditch them for the artemis sword. The puzzles will get you thinking. The magic isnt really that notable becuase you use it when its needed. The graphics are ok but its ps2 game y'know? Kratos is an extremely deep and badass character while the supporting characters, um support. The only notable characters are Kratos, athena, and Ares who has an epic flame beard by the way. The game is worth renting, as its not that notable but if you really like it buy it. The bosses all have a puzzle to solve in order to beat them, like the hydra boss you have to impale each head when you down it. However ares is the boss you really want to fight. The diffculty isnt to bad but the part in underworld is frustrating as hell. The art design is completly good, you will feel like your in ancient greece. And did i mention theres is a sex minigame and boobies! So if you like boobs, sex blood and gore, hack and slash, and flame beards than this game is for you Expand
  3. TomL.
    Jan 31, 2009
    Amazing!
  4. Oct 7, 2010
    This game is the best i have ever played awesome bosses, puzzles and especially awesome combat after playing all three GOWs this one is still the best because of the way it got me so hooked. I personall love greek mythology and think this presented it amazingly. The hydra was just awesome
  5. Apr 27, 2011
    9.5/10 = Incredible = Very clever in it's execution, and espiacially for game with so much blood, gore, and medusa boobs. One hell of an acton game!
  6. Jul 20, 2012
    While it's less smooth in terms of gameplay than the later titles, this is still probably my favorite in the series. I don't get why people are calling it such a short game. I've beaten it twice and both times took me over 8 hours, not including mistakes. It doesn't feel rushed or thrown together at all, I actually feel that Pandora's Temple is one of the most intriguing and well designedWhile it's less smooth in terms of gameplay than the later titles, this is still probably my favorite in the series. I don't get why people are calling it such a short game. I've beaten it twice and both times took me over 8 hours, not including mistakes. It doesn't feel rushed or thrown together at all, I actually feel that Pandora's Temple is one of the most intriguing and well designed areas in a videogame. Some of the segments toward the end can be very frustrating, is my only complaint. Expand
  7. Nov 16, 2013
    One word: Kickass..........................................................................................................................................
  8. Sep 27, 2013
    If theirs one word that describes God of War its Epic, the hack and slash gameplay is amazing. GOW has some of the best puzzles ive ever seen. The graphics where great for its time, this game has one of the best stories ever told. Kratos is a gods servant and must do what Ares tells him to do, but Ares takes it to far when he makes Kratos kill his own family, Kratos goes on an epic journeyIf theirs one word that describes God of War its Epic, the hack and slash gameplay is amazing. GOW has some of the best puzzles ive ever seen. The graphics where great for its time, this game has one of the best stories ever told. Kratos is a gods servant and must do what Ares tells him to do, but Ares takes it to far when he makes Kratos kill his own family, Kratos goes on an epic journey to kill the god of war Ares. If you love greek mythology or anything badass than this is the game for you. Expand
  9. Nov 20, 2013
    this game shows everything good that happens in playstaiton 2,it had excellent graphics(for the time)and an amazing original story,the only problem is that isn't an open world game.
  10. Nov 22, 2013
    as for a new title in Sony PlayStation this just nailed each and every game in all console division. the cut scenes are awesome as for PlayStation 2 .loved the blood and gore kills and one of the best story. Kratos is one of the main character that represent the PlayStation division. just feel the graphics quite low after completing god of war II. still my first PS2 game and has theas for a new title in Sony PlayStation this just nailed each and every game in all console division. the cut scenes are awesome as for PlayStation 2 .loved the blood and gore kills and one of the best story. Kratos is one of the main character that represent the PlayStation division. just feel the graphics quite low after completing god of war II. still my first PS2 game and has the hardest challenges of all!! Expand
  11. MitchellT.
    Apr 8, 2005
    Honestly, one of the best games I've ever played. Graphics are some of the best, great animation, AMAZING score, and just fun as hell to play. My only complaints, the game felt too short and seemed to a might bit too easy (on normal mode anyway - this has been subsequently remedied on GOD mode). In either case, buy or rent this game. It is awesome.
  12. SomeGuy
    Apr 2, 2007
    Brilliant! I revisited this game after almost a year and it's still as fun, exciting and compelling as it was the first time. Even now I'm discovering heaps of new things. It's not just a hack 'n' slash fest, the game also has some really clever puzzles and the story is told magnificently. An all-round masterpiece.
  13. VanessaR.
    Aug 4, 2007
    I've still got about 1/4 to go - game play is brilliant, graphics, story, music and animation is very well done. Already have the second god of war waiting to be played!
  14. MartyB.
    Oct 9, 2005
    This game kicks ass.
  15. ChrisS.
    Mar 30, 2005
    Really fun and visually exciting game. As for Ahmed not getting what he expected, its called researching the game. If you wanted a free roaming game, you should of read up on the game before buying. This game will give you a rush. Excellent.
  16. TylerN.
    Apr 20, 2005
    I'll be honest, I am not a "pro-gamer". I typically don't like video games, but God of War is by far my favorite game to date. Much better than Halo 2.
  17. MarcD.
    Apr 2, 2005
    Finally...a character which transcends it's field of entertainment. Besides the fact that God Of War is a remarkable gaming achievement, the most impressive point to note is how brilliant and layered the Kratos is. Characters this deep belong on the top teir of RPGs, not action adventure games. It just adds a whole lot of satisfaction to the experience when you play through as such Finally...a character which transcends it's field of entertainment. Besides the fact that God Of War is a remarkable gaming achievement, the most impressive point to note is how brilliant and layered the Kratos is. Characters this deep belong on the top teir of RPGs, not action adventure games. It just adds a whole lot of satisfaction to the experience when you play through as such an amazing literary character. My fave gaming character for sure. Expand
  18. PodR.
    Apr 28, 2005
    Thuis game has the ultimate gameplay and so perfect graphics....And it involves my favourite Greek mythology.
  19. RobD.
    May 6, 2005
    I'm not quite finished but this game is so fun. It's not as compelling as Resident Evil 4, but pretty damn cool. It's not frustratingly difficult, but it's held my attention.
  20. CavadorC.
    Jul 5, 2005
    Awesome game.
  21. MorganC.
    Aug 21, 2005
    This game made me remember why I bought my PS2. Stunning visuals meet a divine combat system in the clash between vengeful demigod and his former master.
  22. Sanurai
    Sep 2, 2006
    This game is the most awesome game ever! It is great to play with your girlfriend. Seriously, this girl helped a brutha out, yo. We slayed those baddies like pancakes on a hot summer day. We caused more chaos than a herd of buffalo through a small town. We destroyed more of the earth than the Bush administration. We enjoyed the difficulty of the game and the puzzles, the visuals harkened This game is the most awesome game ever! It is great to play with your girlfriend. Seriously, this girl helped a brutha out, yo. We slayed those baddies like pancakes on a hot summer day. We caused more chaos than a herd of buffalo through a small town. We destroyed more of the earth than the Bush administration. We enjoyed the difficulty of the game and the puzzles, the visuals harkened back to those thrillin' dayz of yesteryear. Expand
  23. AnonymousMC
    Jul 20, 2008
    This is the type of game that reminds people why they started playing in the first place. Fun and enternaining on what unfourtunatly seems to be in second place in terms of importance on the industry theses days.
    Even with some minor flaws, this is without a doubt one of the best games around and a good influence on recent titles. Comparing this to completely different genres like Halo makes no sense at all.
  24. Mr.Anonymous
    Feb 20, 2010
    Apparently, there are major differences between "blatant ripoff" and "improving upon a successful formula". God of War is the latter. It combines the successful elements of action games (Devil May Cry), platforming (Prince of Persia). The combination was so well, so incredible that God of War is one of the best games of this decade. God of War is packed with gorgeous visuals, intense bossApparently, there are major differences between "blatant ripoff" and "improving upon a successful formula". God of War is the latter. It combines the successful elements of action games (Devil May Cry), platforming (Prince of Persia). The combination was so well, so incredible that God of War is one of the best games of this decade. God of War is packed with gorgeous visuals, intense boss fights (which requires strategy, timing, and button-mashing, of course), and relaxing (not too easy, not too hard) puzzles. The puzzles are a nice way to slow the pace down, keep yourself cool after minutes of button mashing. But of course, button mashing alone does not work (unless you're playing on the easy difficulty - shame for you). God of War is best played on normal difficulty and above, where you'll have to time every dodge, think fast (whether you should dodge or block - some attacks parry your guard, some attacks have a wide area of effects which makes dodging useless). Also, you have to think whether to use a normal attack or a strong attack, and sometimes, throw in a magic attack (some magic attacks render you invulnerable to enemies' attacks). Simply put, God of War is a highly addictive action-platforming game that every fan of the genre should enjoy. Expand
  25. RJ
    Oct 24, 2005
    And i thought prince of persia: warrior within was morbid, this game has excellent effects and very violent...I LOVE IT!
  26. Melissa
    Mar 28, 2005
    10!! Most emphatically 10. Great story, combined with beautiful art, a fantistically full and complex hero, brutal combos, and gruesome finishing moves, God of War takes all other games in this genre and banishes them to Hades. Obviously, TelyS hasn't yet graduated from Reader Rabbit Learns Phonics.
  27. JohannT.S.
    Mar 30, 2005
    Those who don't like this game are fools. Impertinent fools! Listen to me now and believe me later, this game has redefined video games. So get your hands off your boys and give in mofo, give in.
  28. AnonymousMC
    Mar 30, 2005
    Ahmed A. is a real dickhead for giving this game a 1, this guy most really not know anything about gaming, or he is just a real hater who is just unhappy with life it self. He probably just started playing video games when playstation 2 came out. I bet he never played Atari 2600 or 5200, Kellicovision, Intelavision, The First Nintendo, Neo Geo, Genisis, Turbo Graphics 16, Atari Jaguar orAhmed A. is a real dickhead for giving this game a 1, this guy most really not know anything about gaming, or he is just a real hater who is just unhappy with life it self. He probably just started playing video games when playstation 2 came out. I bet he never played Atari 2600 or 5200, Kellicovision, Intelavision, The First Nintendo, Neo Geo, Genisis, Turbo Graphics 16, Atari Jaguar or any other system I forgot, shot he probably never been to an arcade. This guy just doesn't have a clue, rating this game a 1? This guy is crazy, everyone please do not go off of his inexperianced rating. The first hot game he probably played was GTA 3 or Final Fantasy X or something. This game is a 10, rent if you don't believe me and then rate it and you'll say the same thing about Ahmed A. as me. Expand
  29. Cavador
    Apr 1, 2005
    Simply outstanding.
  30. Andrew
    Apr 2, 2005
    Excellent game ! Great fun, some annoyance in the, at times, limited view. Some fantastic scenes and battles gloriously realised. Highly Recomended.
  31. Robotron3000
    Apr 22, 2005
    Basically this game is Onimusha-in-ancient-Greece. It is very good, but lack some of the edge of the Onimusha series, especially graphics wise. Kratos looks like a mixture of 'random rock-singer' and a wrestler which is a shame. With greater art direction this game could have been truly divine.
  32. JeffM.
    Apr 24, 2005
    Simply astounding. I wish there were words good enough to describe how good this game is. Greek mythology was previously a rather untapped idea well for video games (must be over 50 games based on WWII out), but this one will satisfy all who crave such a game save the weak of heart. And maybe even some of the not so weak; this is a very, VERY brutal game. I can't even begin to count Simply astounding. I wish there were words good enough to describe how good this game is. Greek mythology was previously a rather untapped idea well for video games (must be over 50 games based on WWII out), but this one will satisfy all who crave such a game save the weak of heart. And maybe even some of the not so weak; this is a very, VERY brutal game. I can't even begin to count the gruesome fatalities in this game from cleaving a minotaur's head in two through its mouth to snapping a siren's neck backwards, to taking a harpy out of the air, stomping on its back and literally plucking off its wings like a fly with a swift, upward motion. It doesn't hurt that the game looks absolutely gorgeous while you do all this, either. This is the best-looking PS2 game to date, rivaling a good number of XBox games and showing everyone before the next console war that this old dog still has a few tricks. Luckily, the graphics' high quality matches extremely well-done voiceovers, grand orchestral scores, and tight controls that, along with the rather up close and personal combat, inserts you into Kratos' being and allows you to play like no other game has thusfar. Resident Evil 4 had an early game of the year bid, but all I can think about is how Kratos would mutilate Leon far more than a chainsaw ever could, and how puny "Lord" Saddler seems as an antagonist compared to Ares, God of War. Expand
  33. MikeyP.
    Apr 27, 2005
    This game is one of the most satisfying gaming experiences I've ever had. Writing this user comment proves it. I have never done something like this before and thought I never would. But God of War is just that good that I felt forced to write in. If you haven't bought it yet, you're wasting your time.
  34. Jayman
    Apr 3, 2005
    Best game I have played. Took me 3 days straight to finish. No game has ever kept my interest to finish so quickly. The average for me(usually with days/weeks off in between) to finish is 1-2 months. Wow!!!! Great story, great weapons, and awesome mini-movies.
  35. DaveC.
    Greatness!!
  36. Andyman
    Apr 4, 2005
    The mark of a great game is its ability to appeal to players who normally don't care for the genre. The mark of a great gaming experience is its ability to make its players forget that they ever disliked the genre. God of War is that once-in-a-lifetime experience, and should be required playing for all gamers - players and developers alike.
  37. MatthewF.
    Apr 5, 2005
    This is the best game i own and have played. It was kinda short but great graphics and storyline. I haven't beaten GOD mode yet.
  38. EliM.
    Apr 6, 2005
    I am not usually a game freak but ever since i played this game i been so stuck in it since its full of action.
  39. Brent
    Apr 7, 2005
    Damn this game is as addictive as crack man.
  40. DrorS.
    Apr 8, 2005
    i played it for 3 days straight i dont have a memory card so i left my playstation on for 3 days while i was playing it until i finally finished the game i just could not stop.
  41. FredF.
    Apr 8, 2005
    It´s a good game, but looks like I'm playing a new episode of Prince of Persia. Sincerely, I was waiting for something diferent.
  42. SamF.
    May 11, 2005
    It doesn't beat Resident Evil 4 for game of the year, which gets a prefect 10, but GoW is still very enjoyable. I'm not entirely sure why it gets that point off. I sometimes got annoyed by the fighting and it felt linear and repetitive at times; a puzzle, a battle, a puzzle, a battle. Even with some slight problems it is one of the best PS2 games.
  43. MatthewA.
    May 1, 2005
    The best game EVER made.........EVER!
  44. JonathanT.
    May 29, 2005
    Wow. Just wow. Didn't know Playstation games you look this good, better yet PLAY this good. Get it people - it will remind you of why you bought that Sony console in the first place.
  45. LingX.
    May 5, 2005
    Phenomenal game! better than the Prince of Persia series! you'd be able to do almost all of the combo/weapons all the time unlike in POP. great story, great graphics (even with the ps2), great gameplay, great goodies. a perfect 10/10 game.
  46. HVCgduy
    May 7, 2005
    It was truly wonderful ripping enimies apart.
  47. Bobthevermonter
    Jun 20, 2005
    Masterpeice i cant et enough i crave more g2g i need to play....
  48. MarkM.
    Jun 24, 2005
    This game is definitely visually stunning -- perhaps the best graphics I've seen on the PS2. And the mature themes and original story bring something more to the game than just the same fight/cutscenet/fight mentality. But the reason I only gave it an 8 was because of the button-mashing nature of the game, and the bosses. I'm not a big fan of the boss concept, mainly because I This game is definitely visually stunning -- perhaps the best graphics I've seen on the PS2. And the mature themes and original story bring something more to the game than just the same fight/cutscenet/fight mentality. But the reason I only gave it an 8 was because of the button-mashing nature of the game, and the bosses. I'm not a big fan of the boss concept, mainly because I find more frustrating than rewarding. While I have no problems with a challenging enemy or situation, spending up to an hour trying to figure out how to kill one thing just doesn't do it for me. IMHO, that whole concept should be scraped, and replaced with puzzles that challenge the mind, more than the fingers. But even that aside, it's still a great game that I recommend for older gamers -- it is NOT a game for kids. Expand
  49. CharlieW.
    Jun 28, 2005
    This is the first game in a long time where everything comes together to give a genuinely great gaming experience. The graphics are top-notch. The action is intense. The music swells. The storyline could easily be considered a lost epic in Greek mythology. Top to bottom, this game is excellent.
  50. ChristianC.
    Jun 8, 2005
    You know what im ganna say by the rating I gave to the game anyways sothis game is very good it seems they did really good on the graphics and im impressed by the story line but some gay parts that you might think thats stupid im not ganna say because some of you might say DONT KILL IT FOR ME! whell this is one of the best PS2 games I ever played its a game you would want to be between You know what im ganna say by the rating I gave to the game anyways sothis game is very good it seems they did really good on the graphics and im impressed by the story line but some gay parts that you might think thats stupid im not ganna say because some of you might say DONT KILL IT FOR ME! whell this is one of the best PS2 games I ever played its a game you would want to be between adventure,hack'n slash, tine RPG with a great story! Expand
  51. Taylor
    Jun 9, 2005
    Best 3rd person action game ever Bar None.
  52. KungF.
    Jul 12, 2005
    One of the best games i've played in a long time.
  53. PaulJ.
    Jul 6, 2005
    This is by far one of the greatest games ever made.
  54. Thinkablefire
    Jul 6, 2005
    The graphics is definitely stunning. This game truley shows the true capabilities of the PS2. This game combines the elements of what makes a game truley spectacular. Fighting style, storyline, and playability is awsome.
  55. MikeJ.
    Jul 7, 2005
    This game is amazing.it gives you some of the best game play around. i would give this game a 9.5 but i cant. the reason is it does have some invisible walls.nontheless its the best game one the ps2 and should not be missed.If you have a ps2 dont miss your self on this great game,because if you do it would be very foolish.
  56. AhmedH.
    Aug 1, 2005
    Spectacular graphics, awosome boss battles and the best damn ps2 game i have ever played.
  57. Vince
    Aug 10, 2005
    This is by far the best game ever made in any console at any time!!! WOW! There is soo much to say ill just keep it simple: go buy it! Everything in this game is absolutely perfect!
  58. TomL.
    Aug 9, 2005
    Amazing!
  59. WilliamK.
    Sep 6, 2005
    Utlimate hack and slash game. A bit short, and with too few boss fights, but what is there is top rate.
  60. DavidM.
    Mar 1, 2006
    This is a fun and hard game that has lots of puzzles and fighting.
  61. DanB.
    Mar 1, 2006
    A classic game just enough puzzles and gore to keep everybody happy, sweet graphics and good story.
  62. MitchN.
    May 3, 2006
    Out of all the games I"ve played this is one of the better ones and the goariest ones. It's even better than Kingdom Hearts!
  63. SeanB.
    Jun 30, 2006
    God of War gives me something that I never expected from it, even though it may very well be the finest game in the massive library of the PlayStation 2. God of War feels like a solid, current-gen quality game, but it manages to capture the feeling that hooked us all on games in the first place. The first time I strung together a 70 Hit Combo on Medusa, God of War took a place in my heart God of War gives me something that I never expected from it, even though it may very well be the finest game in the massive library of the PlayStation 2. God of War feels like a solid, current-gen quality game, but it manages to capture the feeling that hooked us all on games in the first place. The first time I strung together a 70 Hit Combo on Medusa, God of War took a place in my heart forever. For anyone wondering whether or not the industry is slipping away from its roots, God of War gives you an answer. This is what games should be, because it's what they always have been. Pure entertainment and a sense of pride and accomplishment. Mix that with an epic story and just a dash (ok, about 14 pounds) of blood and sex, not to mention the greatest anti-hero in the history of video games, and you have the best game of the current generation of consoles. Needless to say, God of War comes recommended. Expand
  64. JamieT.
    Aug 14, 2006
    This game is great to play and has an exciting story to go along with it.
  65. AndyM.
    Aug 7, 2006
    Personally, I think that you haven't played action games until you've played this masterpiece.
  66. AndrewG.
    Jan 1, 2007
    God of War is really fun, beautifully made, and has an excellent story. The reason why I give it an 8 is because of the extremely annoying platforming-esque challenges at some points. It is beyond annoying to die to a small fire when you're almost done winning a long fight - or falling off a ledge, or falling into lava, or randomly falling off a cliff. The checkpoints are fairly God of War is really fun, beautifully made, and has an excellent story. The reason why I give it an 8 is because of the extremely annoying platforming-esque challenges at some points. It is beyond annoying to die to a small fire when you're almost done winning a long fight - or falling off a ledge, or falling into lava, or randomly falling off a cliff. The checkpoints are fairly generous, but there were a number of times where I said "OH MY GOD THIS IS FREAKING TERRIBLE", because I would have to go back through a difficult battle. This game is DEFINITELY worth a buy, but just be warned that there is too much platforming and not enough boss battles (the ones that are there though are AMAZING). Expand
  67. FFIXlove
    Oct 27, 2007
    An awesome game with amazing combat mechanics. The plot is good, although could have been better developed. But the game is too short. Still an amazing experience with puzzles fitted in to make the experience more varied. The main music theme is very good, but lacks variety. Lots of blood and gore, so if you actively dislike that sort of thing dont get it. Otherwise, go buy it.
  68. WaelD.
    Mar 12, 2007
    This game is the most beautiful game I've played. It's so rare to see any game that's visually innovative, and this game is, the environments are unique, the gameplay is unique, the mood is unique. It was like playing Salambo. And the dark depressing storyline seems to be taken right out of Greek mythology especially because they made it fit perfectly into it. And the This game is the most beautiful game I've played. It's so rare to see any game that's visually innovative, and this game is, the environments are unique, the gameplay is unique, the mood is unique. It was like playing Salambo. And the dark depressing storyline seems to be taken right out of Greek mythology especially because they made it fit perfectly into it. And the platforming is annoying as long as you can press the buttons at the right time, I believe a monkey should be able to do that if he's given about ten tries, but then again some people don't have the mental capacity of a monkey. What's even better is that the sequel seems to live up and even surpass its predecessor. Expand
  69. MikeD.
    Mar 23, 2007
    God of War has taken the beautiful mystical world of the ancient Greeks,and made it even more exciting, while still keeping the gameplay and story smooth. Anyone who has ever played a videogame before, has to admit that this one is indeed revolutionary and deserves 10/10.
  70. RyanP.
    Apr 17, 2007
    This is the definitive action game on the PS2 that started it all. GoW combines amazing action, story, and presentation in a very tight package! GoWII is even better!
  71. KyleH.
    May 25, 2007
    This game is by far the best game I have ever played on the PS2. It had all the elements you'd expect from a top rate title. The gameplay was excellent, both hack n' slash action & puzzle solving were fun & challenging. The audio and graphics were so good the game actually fooled me into thinking I was playing it on my Xbox! I was blown away.
  72. ChrisR.
    Jun 9, 2007
    This game it has everything, gore, blood, action and a great story, those who didn't liked it, screw! I just got it because I wanted to play the sequel, but first this one, and oh what a great surprise, is awesome!
  73. OyvindS.W.
    Mar 21, 2010
    Silent Hunter 5 is a mixed bag. At the moment it's incomplete and fairly shallow, with several missing features and unbalances. However, with all the mods already out, and several more on the way, it's no big leap to believe that this will become a true classic once touched up by patches and mods. It has an incredibly moddability and already features things never found in III Silent Hunter 5 is a mixed bag. At the moment it's incomplete and fairly shallow, with several missing features and unbalances. However, with all the mods already out, and several more on the way, it's no big leap to believe that this will become a true classic once touched up by patches and mods. It has an incredibly moddability and already features things never found in III and 4, except through mods: milk cows, wolf packs, far more complex AI, and a far more dynamic campaign where the AI responds well to your every move, and to all the other traffic in the world. Sure, it's got its fault, but Silent Hunter 2, III and 4 were also fairly unfinished when they were released, and look at them now, SHIII in particular with the Grey Wolves Expansion. I highly recommend the review of Neal Stevens, webmaster of subsim.com. He gives a lengthy, honest and unbiased review that really dives (no pun intended) into the game. Expand
  74. Paul
    Oct 10, 2005
    The best game I've ever played. A real journey into a compulsive fantasy world of mythology and fury and bloodshed. Even thought you play one mean individual, you really get to like him. Getting as far as the end game, takes a combination of pure fighting competence supplemented with upgrades in power and weapons, mixed with nimble footed balance and problem solving skills. It all The best game I've ever played. A real journey into a compulsive fantasy world of mythology and fury and bloodshed. Even thought you play one mean individual, you really get to like him. Getting as far as the end game, takes a combination of pure fighting competence supplemented with upgrades in power and weapons, mixed with nimble footed balance and problem solving skills. It all adds up to what I consider the perfect game. 10/10 Expand
  75. ConnerM.
    Nov 7, 2005
    I give it a 12 out of ten for this console is too awesome, the story, caracters, puzzels and action is like you never seen, is not that long but when U pick it up you wont let it go. Kratos rules...oh and naked chicks!!!!
  76. EliG.
    Dec 12, 2005
    This game was awesome! I never got bored and it was hard to put down. It was complicated at times, but not impossible and I liked the upgrades. But it got a little repetive and I wished the puzzels involved more than just pushing and pulling. Doesn't seem like a blend of Onimusha and Prince of Persia?
  77. ChadC.
    Dec 22, 2005
    Quite possibly the best game on the PS2 ever.
  78. Random
    Oct 28, 2005
    Man..this game kicks it like a capital U??? Its so damn awesome!!!!
  79. BryanM.
    Mar 22, 2005
    Close to Prince of Persia but not there yet, otherwisean awesome game.
  80. WonkoTheSane
    Mar 24, 2005
    Played the demo, and it got me hooked! For the next month or so I saved the little money I made, since I don't work and all, and bought the game. The game is ten times better than the demo, and the demo itself rules all, infact it's a god... A god of war?
  81. AllistairP.
    Mar 24, 2005
    Amazing. Best visuals ever in a game, surpasses Resident Evil 4. The music makes the expierence feel immersive even when you're just standing still. I can't believe how under the radar this game went. Along with MG3, HL2, and brethern, these are the type of games that are pushing limits visuals, audio, and storytelling. Awesome, and just the right amount of length.
  82. AB
    Mar 24, 2005
    If God of War were a first-person shooter, it would be a Halo killer. It isn't, but it is an amazing game in its own right. It deserves to be in a category of its own. It is better than San Andreas and Halo 2, and nearly as good as Resident Evil 4. It may be the best PS2 game this year.
  83. SalM.
    Mar 28, 2005
    A violent and fun fighting/action game for mature audiences. This game is a TON of fun. There is a great "naughty" mini-game that just cannot be missed!
  84. Donkay
    Mar 28, 2005
    This game is nuts! Everything from the graphics to the music to the gameplay is AWESOME. You're missing out on the best game for PS2 this year if you're not playing this.
  85. R.Baldwin
    Mar 28, 2005
    Great Game!!! In my opinion, one of the games of the year so far. There's nothing really innovative in this game, but it's just plain fun, and that's just something that's been missing in games now days. Please don't miss out, go and get God of War Today!!!
    Mar 29, 2005
    Incredible!
  87. D.C.
    Mar 29, 2005
    This is the best game ever made for the PS2, that's all there is to say about this one. Just go out and buy it, and see for yourself. PERFECTION.
  88. MaikolQ.
    Mar 31, 2005
    This is the best game on the playstation 2. The enviroments are outstandings, the control is perfect, and the main character is superb, whit a unique and strong personality. The game is better than DMC3, MGS3 and any other game on the ps2. Congratulations Sony, you did it!!!!!!
  89. TheBigmac
    Apr 10, 2005
    When after 10 hours of rush to the head action playing, yout stop moving the character just to wonder in awe a new stage where you have never been before, you realize someting was done very, very right. This game is perfect. You feel....... Invincible.
  90. David
    Apr 10, 2005
    This is a fun hack and slash with enough varied gameplay and beautiful environments to keep it from becoming stale. At first the story seems like it is going in the right direction, but it turns out for the most part to be very predictable and unintelligent. The cutscenes are gorgeous, but the main character's newfound sense of guilt is a bit of a stretch. The title is definitely for This is a fun hack and slash with enough varied gameplay and beautiful environments to keep it from becoming stale. At first the story seems like it is going in the right direction, but it turns out for the most part to be very predictable and unintelligent. The cutscenes are gorgeous, but the main character's newfound sense of guilt is a bit of a stretch. The title is definitely for mature audiences; Some of the content in cutscenes I have never seen in a video game before. I question whether an M rating really captures the level of the game's brutality and explicit content. Expand
  91. MichaelB.
    Apr 13, 2005
    Gorgeous environments and non-stop action. Pretty much exactly what you want out of a good hack-n-slash game.
  92. DennyV.
    Apr 14, 2005
    This is by far the best game I have ever played and experienced in my whole entire life. There is no other game out there currently that matches it's greatness. A truly epic game, that I believe everyone should experience. 110%
  93. MitchD.
    Apr 16, 2005
    I have been playing games a long time and God of War was a blast. Most of the puzzles were a little too easy but now and then one or two take you for a ride. The battle, weapons, graphics and game play were stylish, responsive and a joy to use.. The interface and weapons were easy to use and master. It was a little short but cut over to God mode and get pounded. Great storyline, I have been playing games a long time and God of War was a blast. Most of the puzzles were a little too easy but now and then one or two take you for a ride. The battle, weapons, graphics and game play were stylish, responsive and a joy to use.. The interface and weapons were easy to use and master. It was a little short but cut over to God mode and get pounded. Great storyline, interesting character and one kick ass game. It was too short -- like all good games. Buy it and enjoy wasting your weekend away. Expand
  94. LV
    Apr 4, 2005
    The best game ever made for PS2.
  95. Jay
    Apr 5, 2005
    Needs better graphics.
  96. NickT.
    Apr 6, 2005
    The first half hour was a bit underwhelming (what the hell was with the sex minigame... it was pointless!), but as soon as I fought the hydra and reached Athens, the game picked immensely. This is the most gripping (I never use that word) game I have ever played, as it transcends what one believes to be a simple videogame and becomes an experience. It isn't the amazing graphics, The first half hour was a bit underwhelming (what the hell was with the sex minigame... it was pointless!), but as soon as I fought the hydra and reached Athens, the game picked immensely. This is the most gripping (I never use that word) game I have ever played, as it transcends what one believes to be a simple videogame and becomes an experience. It isn't the amazing graphics, story or gameplay that bring God of War to the forefront; it is, for me, the games sprawling environments. Even though you are confined to one linear path, you don't feel as if you are. This game convinces the player that they are part of a greater conflict, a war. When I entered Athens and saw armies raging below, I was moved... but i was moved even more when i climbed Pandora's temple and was able to see Kronos, carrying the massive buliding on his back, crawling below me; his head bobbing up and down in in agony. Yes, this game does not expand the genre very much, but it makes up for that fact by refining action adventure mechanics and implementing SUPERB presentation. God of War simply must be played to appreciated. While Resident Evil 4 is still my current favorite game of 2005, GoW is a very close second. Collapse
  97. Kocibici
    May 16, 2005
    This is the best game i have ever seen.
  98. HotPotty
    May 19, 2005
    I played the demo...it was good, but I don't understand how this game could get better reviews than Ninja Gaiden on Xbox. God Of War certainly looks good and plays well, but as a Ninja Gaiden owner I was hoping for more. Then again, the Ninja Gaiden demo wasn't necessarily indicative of the whole game. God Of War (the demo) is basically just button mashing with an occasional I played the demo...it was good, but I don't understand how this game could get better reviews than Ninja Gaiden on Xbox. God Of War certainly looks good and plays well, but as a Ninja Gaiden owner I was hoping for more. Then again, the Ninja Gaiden demo wasn't necessarily indicative of the whole game. God Of War (the demo) is basically just button mashing with an occasional finishing move. Those were cool, though. I'll buy it when I buy a PS3 (backwards compatible, right?) and can play your sweet games without their annoying load times. I recommend it if you own a PS2, but if you want fierce, beautiful action -- and a challenge -- for chrissake -- try Ninja Gaiden. Expand
  99. TomA.
    May 21, 2005
    Doesn't get any better than this. one of the most excellent game ever published. great storyline, amazing graphics, and above all, fun.
  100. JeffreyN.
    May 22, 2005
    This game is the best PS2 game I have ever seen or played! Great graphics and effects. And very fun too. This is now my favorite video game ever on PS2! This game is the best game in the world.

1. While playing God of War, I honestly found it difficult to resist the urge to simply genuflect and be humbled to be in the presence of such digital divinity, this god among games. [Apr 2005, p.122]
    If you like to kill freaky things with your giant serrated knives, you'll love the s*** out of this... This videogame features sexual situations, bare breasts and excessive brutality. Good with that? Excellent!
  3. The game contains so much energy and conviction, so much skill and spirit. There came a point where I was totally lost to it, in the way you are to a great movie - to any powerful art form. [Apr 2005, p.50]