God of War PlayStation 2

• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: Mar 22, 2005
8.9

1. Jul 22, 2016
    What a classic. I picked this up only because I love Greek Mythology, but I was surprised at the quality of it. I enjoyed it from start to finish.

Compared with GOW2, it has better puzzles, story, pacing, atmosphere and soundtrack which is why I enjoyed it more. But they both are much better than GOW3 for sure.
  2. Jun 25, 2016
    A huge improvement over the first one.
    good:
    Enjoyable puzzles
    great music
    lovely art direction
    excellent pacing
    Good boss fights

Bad:
    still some cheap deaths
    pointless weapons and abilities
    abandoning new mechanics just after they are introduced
  3. May 12, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. God of War introduces brilliantly the journey of Kratos seeking his revenge. A story very well developed, endearing characters, absurd graphics for 2005. God of War is already a classic of the games. Expand
  4. Apr 11, 2016
    (Translate from Portuguese into English)O começo do que seria a melhor trilogia que já joguei,tudo é perfeito nele (para a época),a batalha final é épica,Kratos conquistou uma legião de fãs com este jogo,acho que foi o jogo que mais vezes zerei.
  5. Mar 25, 2016
    God of War is a great hack and slash, that any PS2 or PS3 owner should play.

God of War is a great hack and slash, that any PS2 or PS3 owner should play.

STORY: The story follows Kratos, a spartan warrior that killed his own family because the God Ares tricked him to do it. This causes Kratos to have nightmares every day of his life and to get rid of does nightmares he assists the Gods of Olympus and he will do anything that they say in exchange of losing those horrible nightmares.

PRESENTATION: For a PS2 game God of War looks very nice, the models, animations and backgrounds
    look very good for a PS2 game and if you play it on the PS3 (like i did) the HD treatment helps the look of the game by a massive amount. The voice acting isn't bad either and the framerate (at least in the PS3 version) is very consistent, not to mention the fantastic soundtrack. God of War presentation is very solid, well done and for a PS2 game, it still holds pretty well by today's standards.

GAMEPLAY: God of War is a Hack and Slash, which roughly translates to: Beat the ever living **** out of anything that stands in your way!!!.

This game makes you feel like a badass and that is no more apparent that in the first level where you (no joke) impale a giant 3 headed hydra into the pole of a ship and the rest of the game follows suit. In God of War your main weapon is the Chaos Blades, but along the way you will get different weapons from the different Gods. Every time you defeat a Boss, an enemy or pretty much any destructible object, you will get what i call "red souls", you use this to upgrade your different weapons and there are other types of ·souls like the green variation which replenishes your health and the blue variation which replenishes the magic bar that you use to do certain special attacks that the Gods give you along the way.

I mentioned that you can upgrade your weapons and abilities, but i didn't mention that you can also extend your life and magic meters by finding...eye balls and feathers?...ok..., you find this things in chests and when you collect enough of them your life or magic will increase.

Oh man, all of these and i haven't even mentioned the 4 main components of God of War. Let's knock out the easy one first:

Exploration:...you explore places...with some platforming and mini-fights thrown in for good measure. Is also here where you can find checkpoints, the only way to save your game.

Boss Battles: These fights are great, they are all different in terms of pattern, strategy and strength, the 2 things that all of them have in common is that they always have a quick time event and the fact that they are soooooooooo much fun.

Puzzles: In my opinion this is one of the game's flaws because these puzzles are not only easy, bland and uninspired, but 70-80% of them are just: drag an item to a certain place and rarely do they have variety.

Fighting: This is the best part of the game, you basically do combinations with the square and triangle buttons to do many different combos and block incoming attacks with the um....block button, but with your different weapons and upgrades the variety is throw the roof and there is nothing more satisfying than grabbing a guy and separating him in 2 pieces!!!.

Overall God of War is a great game with amazing music and graphics (for the PS2), very good story, fun boss battles, incredible variety, genius fighting system and while the puzzles may not be that great, they serve to mix things up in order for the game to not get repetitive. With that said God of War gets an 8/10.
  6. Mar 19, 2016
    I was extremly amazed when i first played this game back in 2005, fighting,weapons,levels,puzzle elements, and the characters showed how much this game just changed everything for gamers, well done to santa monica studios.
  7. Mar 10, 2016
    Este jogo é incrível! Eu recebi e ainda não posso parar de jogar. Os gráficos são tão detalhadas para um game e é desafiador, mas divertido e terá que jogar por horas! A história é complexa e profundamente pensado. O melhor jogo que eu já joguei de forma
  8. Mar 8, 2016
    O sucesso dessa trilogia foi por causa desse primeiro jogo, muito massa, batalhas muito épicas, chefões épicos e claro gráfico muito muito massa para a época.
  9. Feb 9, 2016
    God Of War is among the best action games of all time, excellent story, perfect combat, great graphics, and an overall amazing experience. Buy this game on sight.
  10. Dec 17, 2015
    Gameplay : 9
    Graphics : 8
    Story : 8
    Sound : 8
    Overall : 9
  11. Oct 3, 2015
    EL NACIMIENTO DE UN DIOS DE LOS VIDEJUEGOS . God of War tuvo toda lo necesario para ser el mejor juego de ps2 y uno de los mejores de la historia, Graficos imponentes(Para esa consola), una historia atrapadora,BSO sublime , muchisima sangre, un enemigo mas que digno como Ares, poderes increíbles y el carisma del personaje principal (Kratos) . SIMPLEMENTE GRACIAS SONY POR CREAR TAL OBRAEL NACIMIENTO DE UN DIOS DE LOS VIDEJUEGOS . God of War tuvo toda lo necesario para ser el mejor juego de ps2 y uno de los mejores de la historia, Graficos imponentes(Para esa consola), una historia atrapadora,BSO sublime , muchisima sangre, un enemigo mas que digno como Ares, poderes increíbles y el carisma del personaje principal (Kratos) . SIMPLEMENTE GRACIAS SONY POR CREAR TAL OBRA MAESTRA EN 2005 Expand
  12. May 22, 2015
    I first played God of War in early 2015 and I can reassure anyone who hasn't yet played it or hasn't done so since it launched; this game withstands the test of time. Not only is the combat intense (and very bloody), but the dungeon design is superb for the most part. You'll spend the majority of the game in a giant temple on a titan's back. How epic is that? Also, the puzzles areI first played God of War in early 2015 and I can reassure anyone who hasn't yet played it or hasn't done so since it launched; this game withstands the test of time. Not only is the combat intense (and very bloody), but the dungeon design is superb for the most part. You'll spend the majority of the game in a giant temple on a titan's back. How epic is that? Also, the puzzles are genereally fun and the music is as epic as the story. As for the bad, well, it can get frustrating. I'm not even referring to the repetitive combat but the parts where, say, you have to walk across a thin piece of wood and jump over a spinning blade. Thankfully these parts aren't too frewuent but parts like those are very annoying. Also, difficult curves are annoying (where one fight is randomly far more difficult than ones before and after it). LAstly, the bosses, although few, are downright awesome! Expand
  13. May 21, 2015
  14. Mar 24, 2015
    Absolutely the single biggest defining game of my gaming history. I've been an avid fan since the first release, and have converted from Xbox 360 to PS3, and now to PS4, all to follow the coming releases of this series. I borrowed my friend's PS3 to beat GoW3 several times, and then I bought a used PS3 solely to play the GoW collection (which included the remastered last-gen and PSPAbsolutely the single biggest defining game of my gaming history. I've been an avid fan since the first release, and have converted from Xbox 360 to PS3, and now to PS4, all to follow the coming releases of this series. I borrowed my friend's PS3 to beat GoW3 several times, and then I bought a used PS3 solely to play the GoW collection (which included the remastered last-gen and PSP titles), and GOW: Ascension, the 4th console release for the game.

Needless to say, this is my favorite game series of all time. It has one of the most gripping, well thought-out storylines I've ever seen. The character development we've seen was artfully and movingly done, and the story was unique and creative. Every game has been on the forefront of graphics and game engine for its time. Every boss battle was awe-inspiring, the environments were beautifully humbling, and in my opinion, the combat system is unparalleled.

No matter how vicious Kratos becomes, we always find ourselves agreeing with his decisions, mostly. ;)
  15. Apr 30, 2014
    such a great game. greek mythology is very interesting, and its portrayed in such an epic way in this game. Kratos is one of the most powerful videogame characters ever and you certainly feel that when you play. the combat is the best part of this game, it feels so smooth and is easy to use and still feel badass. the story is also great and is very interesting to follow. the combat isn'tsuch a great game. greek mythology is very interesting, and its portrayed in such an epic way in this game. Kratos is one of the most powerful videogame characters ever and you certainly feel that when you play. the combat is the best part of this game, it feels so smooth and is easy to use and still feel badass. the story is also great and is very interesting to follow. the combat isn't exactly repetitive, but you soon figure out wich moves are most effective and just end up spanning them. that is the only downside to this game. the boss fights are awesome too, some of the best I've ever seen even to this date and that goes for all the god of war games Expand
  16. Mar 23, 2014
    This game was awesome back when it came out. The boss fights were awesome but there was not as many as player would have like but this has been fixed in God of War 2.
  17. Mar 12, 2014
    The finest video game of the decade. The best story. The best gameplay and controls. I didn't like that kind of games before but this one makes me speechless.
  18. Dec 26, 2013
    God of war started one bloodiest, goriest and over-the-top game series. Very satisfying and addictive gameplay. Epic music and story. Not much of a replay value and there could have been more boss fights.
  19. Nov 22, 2013
    as for a new title in Sony PlayStation this just nailed each and every game in all console division. the cut scenes are awesome as for PlayStation 2 .loved the blood and gore kills and one of the best story. Kratos is one of the main character that represent the PlayStation division. just feel the graphics quite low after completing god of war II. still my first PS2 game and has theas for a new title in Sony PlayStation this just nailed each and every game in all console division. the cut scenes are awesome as for PlayStation 2 .loved the blood and gore kills and one of the best story. Kratos is one of the main character that represent the PlayStation division. just feel the graphics quite low after completing god of war II. still my first PS2 game and has the hardest challenges of all!! Expand
  20. Nov 20, 2013
    this game shows everything good that happens in playstaiton 2,it had excellent graphics(for the time)and an amazing original story,the only problem is that isn't an open world game.
  21. Nov 16, 2013
    One word: Kickass..........................................................................................................................................
  22. Sep 28, 2013
    Uno de mis juegos más nostálgicos que he jugado. Posee una excelente virtud que lo hace un juego épico y merecido de jugar... Perdón: un juego NECESARIO de jugar. Excelente temática, impactante ambientación, escenarios de lucha magníficos y gran desarrollo de personajes, nada que le pueda faltar
  23. Sep 27, 2013
    If theirs one word that describes God of War its Epic, the hack and slash gameplay is amazing. GOW has some of the best puzzles ive ever seen. The graphics where great for its time, this game has one of the best stories ever told. Kratos is a gods servant and must do what Ares tells him to do, but Ares takes it to far when he makes Kratos kill his own family, Kratos goes on an epic journeyIf theirs one word that describes God of War its Epic, the hack and slash gameplay is amazing. GOW has some of the best puzzles ive ever seen. The graphics where great for its time, this game has one of the best stories ever told. Kratos is a gods servant and must do what Ares tells him to do, but Ares takes it to far when he makes Kratos kill his own family, Kratos goes on an epic journey to kill the god of war Ares. If you love greek mythology or anything badass than this is the game for you. Expand
  24. Aug 17, 2013
    A different beast entirely from the series' later entries. Kratos is a reasonably sympathetic Byronic Hero. The atmosphere intentionally invokes Ray Harryhausen films, and gives you an idea of what those films might have been like with blood n guts and all that good stuff. The dialogue can be clumsy in places, but otherwise the story is sound. Some puzzles are real headscratchers, whileA different beast entirely from the series' later entries. Kratos is a reasonably sympathetic Byronic Hero. The atmosphere intentionally invokes Ray Harryhausen films, and gives you an idea of what those films might have been like with blood n guts and all that good stuff. The dialogue can be clumsy in places, but otherwise the story is sound. Some puzzles are real headscratchers, while others you'll barely have to think about. The combat, arguably the main draw of the series, is certainly less complex in this one. It feels more like an action adventure game than a hack n slash (Devil May Cry, Ninja Gaiden, et all) as far as the combat is concerned, but there's still quite a lot of combo potential. Expand
  25. ERB
    Jul 29, 2013
    God Of War is one of the best PS2 games you will ever play.I give story [5 points] and [3 points] for game play.Ans still playing this game even In 2013 is still satisfying.
  26. Jul 9, 2013
    God of War is one of the most satisfying action games around. The story rooted in Greek mythology is awesome, as is the music. The gameplay is solid and intuitive, full of weapons to use and difficult challenges to conquer. The only issue with this game are the qte, which just suck. It's a great game in general.
  27. Jul 9, 2013
    Before Shadow of the Colossus, the original God of War was my favorite PS2 game. And who could blame me? It's unbelievable!!

Not only is the action over-satisfyingly gory and intense, but the story of Kratos is surprisingly fascinating! The graphics, for its time, were the best in its genre. The mixture of Greek mythology and relentless violence is both intriguing and awesome! If you

If you are looking for an extremely violent but unbelievably well executed action game, pick this up! It's a definite must-have for any hardcore gamer!
  28. Jun 16, 2013
    The best hack and slash game you'll play with amazing soundtrack and fantastic story also the characters in this game are good and you'll love every moment of gameplay Recommended
  29. Apr 30, 2013
    What can be said about one of the best hack ’n slash games ever made? Well, it’s a gorgeous game with some stunning and atmospheric graphics (even by today’s standards) which pulls you into the Greek mythological setting. Add to that some great sounds effects and you got a game that’s pleasing to the eyes and the ears. Though the music overall works well, it just seems to try way too hardWhat can be said about one of the best hack ’n slash games ever made? Well, it’s a gorgeous game with some stunning and atmospheric graphics (even by today’s standards) which pulls you into the Greek mythological setting. Add to that some great sounds effects and you got a game that’s pleasing to the eyes and the ears. Though the music overall works well, it just seems to try way too hard to be as bombastic as possible at times. This is particular noticeable when nothing is actually happening, which caused me more than once to wish the music would just take a diazepam and calm down a little.
    But the thing that really makes God of War the classic it has become, is the gameplay. Fluid combat against a multitude of enemies, great combos, intuitive controls, and some great, violent weaponry and godly magic, makes helping Kratos hack and slash his way through the levels in order to eventually defeat Ares in hope of getting rid of the nightmares and guilt that haunts him, an absolute joy. Along the way the action is broken up by some nice small, if not exactly intellectually overwhelming, puzzles, but they do a good job of pacing the game. Furthermore, this game is from an age when developers didn’t tell you everything you had to do at every turn through on-screen prompts, so sometimes you actually have to think a little yourself to solve the puzzles.
    Now, a lot of people point towards the God of War games when placing blame for the overuse of quicktime events we see in games today.
    I find this to be fundamentally unfair.
    In GoW the quicktime mechanic is an intricate part of the game, not unlike finishing- or special moves in beat ‘em ups, and it works very well indeed.
    Judging the quicktime events in this game by the very low standards used in games like Resident Evil 6, Black Ops 2 or the numerous other modern games, which basically use them by default whether warranted or not, is doing GoW a huge disservice.
    A lot of people have also pointed out that GoW was not original and it borrowed from a lot of other games. This is all true, but a game should not be judged on it's originality, but whether it sets out to do what it wants to. And the fact is, that GoW did and does this amazingly well.
    GoW is a classic and should find its rightful place in any hack ‘n slash or action game fans collection.
  30. Apr 14, 2013
    Es un muy buen juego, tiene una historia aceptable, pero en parte predicable. Lo malo es que es muy lineal el juego, y la música es muy aburrida, es como si fuera todo lo mismo. Pero todo lo demás esta bien, los sonidos muy bien hechos, excelentes gráficos, buen voice-acting, controles muy cómodos, buenos cutscenes, buena ambientación del juego y extremadamente divertido y adictivo, yEs un muy buen juego, tiene una historia aceptable, pero en parte predicable. Lo malo es que es muy lineal el juego, y la música es muy aburrida, es como si fuera todo lo mismo. Pero todo lo demás esta bien, los sonidos muy bien hechos, excelentes gráficos, buen voice-acting, controles muy cómodos, buenos cutscenes, buena ambientación del juego y extremadamente divertido y adictivo, y tiene puzzles que a veces te puede costar bastante pensarlos, la verdad es que lo recomiendo, no solo por el estilo de pelea, si no que te deja con ganas de jugarlo y pasarlo una y otra y otra vez!, Tiene cosas malas, como el quick reaction system, de apretar rapidamente un boton que si lo fallas, perdes, o moris, cosa que te deja (en mi opinion) un sabor muy amargo en la boca, y tambien apretar repetida y rapidamente un mismo boton, eso tambien no es bueno, sobretodo para el joystick, pero no hay que negar que es un clasico de esta consola. Recomendable para el que le encantan juegos de aventura y accion! Expand
  31. Mar 18, 2013
    You buy a PS2 for reasons like this. Everything about this game is awesome. About 8 years after its initial release and it's still fun as ever. 2 or 3 problems but that's it
  32. Mar 6, 2013
    This game is amazing. The gameplay is perfect, the story is great and you've just got to love Kratos, the main character. Many games have copied the gameplay of God of War and I think that says enough about the quality of it. The story is great, best in the series. The other God of War games have a decent story but the gameplay is even more extensive. Overal: if you like this genre, youThis game is amazing. The gameplay is perfect, the story is great and you've just got to love Kratos, the main character. Many games have copied the gameplay of God of War and I think that says enough about the quality of it. The story is great, best in the series. The other God of War games have a decent story but the gameplay is even more extensive. Overal: if you like this genre, you will love this game. If you don't like the genre, this game might change your mind. Expand
  33. Feb 14, 2013
    This game is a must buy if you own a ps2 the story is amazing and even the graphics are still ''good'' for a game from 2005 the combat is really good this game is a masterpiece!
  34. Feb 2, 2013
    I was reading the negative reviews of this game and its just like... Oh this game's music is horrible. Then turn the music off. "It's too hard and there is so much blood..." First of all games dont suck because there hard and this is god of war, there is tons of blood. No that that done with we can review this awesome game. The story is good but the game lacks a lot of cutscenes so youI was reading the negative reviews of this game and its just like... Oh this game's music is horrible. Then turn the music off. "It's too hard and there is so much blood..." First of all games dont suck because there hard and this is god of war, there is tons of blood. No that that done with we can review this awesome game. The story is good but the game lacks a lot of cutscenes so you will find you self a few hours brefor something happens. The game presents it self well though. The music is awesome not much to complain about, The gameplay is superb and the QTE's can be hard but are extremely satisfying. The blades of chaos are extremely good but late game you will prbabaly ditch them for the artemis sword. The puzzles will get you thinking. The magic isnt really that notable becuase you use it when its needed. The graphics are ok but its ps2 game y'know? Kratos is an extremely deep and badass character while the supporting characters, um support. The only notable characters are Kratos, athena, and Ares who has an epic flame beard by the way. The game is worth renting, as its not that notable but if you really like it buy it. The bosses all have a puzzle to solve in order to beat them, like the hydra boss you have to impale each head when you down it. However ares is the boss you really want to fight. The diffculty isnt to bad but the part in underworld is frustrating as hell. The art design is completly good, you will feel like your in ancient greece. And did i mention theres is a sex minigame and boobies! So if you like boobs, sex blood and gore, hack and slash, and flame beards than this game is for you Expand
  35. Jan 26, 2013
    Damn difficult game but still so awesome, good story, good fighting, everything is perfect, i have this game on PS3 re-mastered and its good never played in PS2 that shame but Graphics doesnt make a game, right?
  36. Dec 22, 2012
    GRAPHICS perfect 10 -GAME PLAY perfect 10- STORY perfect 10-MUSIC perfect 10
    ---EPIC---
    GRAPHICS perfect 10 -GAME PLAY perfect 10- STORY perfect 10-MUSIC perfect 10
    ---EPIC---
    best game for ps2 and probably best game ever.you will be amazed by the big monsters and gods from the greec myth so many actions .the best story ever for a game ,every body say that this could be a hollywood film you will live in ancient history like never been with amazing sound track from Gerard Morino .....a must play game
  37. Nov 15, 2012
    Excellent game. It has a very good story, great gameplay, it's challenging, and it exceeds expectations for a hack and slash game. The only problem I had with the game is so few boss fights. I thought the minotaur and Ares fights were great and after watching what the studio had to cut out of the game, I kinda feel that they wanted to add more but they didn't have the budget. :(
  38. Nov 5, 2012
    "God of War" is a PS2 action-adventure game from the creator of "Twisted Metal Black". Based on Greek mythology, it tells the story of Kratos, a Spartan warrior in service of the Olympian Gods. As the game begins, he is tasked with one final assignment, the destruction of Ares, the God of War. The journey takes on a personal meaning for Kratos since Ares had tricked him into killing his"God of War" is a PS2 action-adventure game from the creator of "Twisted Metal Black". Based on Greek mythology, it tells the story of Kratos, a Spartan warrior in service of the Olympian Gods. As the game begins, he is tasked with one final assignment, the destruction of Ares, the God of War. The journey takes on a personal meaning for Kratos since Ares had tricked him into killing his own family. "God of War" starts with a highly-kinetic battle on a ship which acts as the opening tutorial level. Its action is comparable to "Devil May Cry" but it also features adventure elements and innovative on-screen button prompts. The involving story is mainly told through crisp, highly-detailed CGI cutscenes. Visually, the graphics and animation are impressive for a PS2 game. And the voice acting and Hollywood-esque musical score are superb. "God of War" proudly wears its 'M' rating on its shoulder. Its features nudity, sexual situations and graphic violence. Fans of fast-paced action and adventure will find much to enjoy in this first installment of the popular series. It's a terrific achievement and one of the PS2's best exclusives. 9.5 out of 10 Expand
  39. Sep 29, 2012
    God of War is an amazing video game which all Greek Myth fans, action fans and fans of violent bloody games will enjoy. The game has a casual length with a decent storyline, character and environmental setting. The music and sound effects are well made and go well with the game. Although not as refined as other action games, this game will surely suffice for any lack of action games youGod of War is an amazing video game which all Greek Myth fans, action fans and fans of violent bloody games will enjoy. The game has a casual length with a decent storyline, character and environmental setting. The music and sound effects are well made and go well with the game. Although not as refined as other action games, this game will surely suffice for any lack of action games you may of add and can start your journey into the rest of the series. Expand
  40. Sep 20, 2012
  41. Jul 20, 2012
    While it's less smooth in terms of gameplay than the later titles, this is still probably my favorite in the series. I don't get why people are calling it such a short game. I've beaten it twice and both times took me over 8 hours, not including mistakes. It doesn't feel rushed or thrown together at all, I actually feel that Pandora's Temple is one of the most intriguing and well designedWhile it's less smooth in terms of gameplay than the later titles, this is still probably my favorite in the series. I don't get why people are calling it such a short game. I've beaten it twice and both times took me over 8 hours, not including mistakes. It doesn't feel rushed or thrown together at all, I actually feel that Pandora's Temple is one of the most intriguing and well designed areas in a videogame. Some of the segments toward the end can be very frustrating, is my only complaint. Expand
  42. Jun 20, 2012
    This Should be called God of PS2 Game ,because it's the best PS2 game ever .This Should be called God of PS2 Game ,because it's the best PS2 game ever .

.......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
  43. Dec 29, 2011
    Great game, but even at high difficulties it seems a bit repetitive and a pointless button mash. I mean, Devil may Cry has the best fighting system I've ever seen, and God Of War has a really great gameplay but it's not as deep, It feels more like a button mash. I'd give it an 8.5. Great game, after all, one of the best games of PS2.
  44. Dec 11, 2011
    A lot of people say this is a button masher. Um ok? Well sure, if you sit there and mash the button. The same can be said about any game. That doesn't mean you're playing the game properly at all though. If you know how to play a beat 'em up properly and you understand the type of gameplay that's being utilized, you will love this game. The combos are interesting, each useful in varyingA lot of people say this is a button masher. Um ok? Well sure, if you sit there and mash the button. The same can be said about any game. That doesn't mean you're playing the game properly at all though. If you know how to play a beat 'em up properly and you understand the type of gameplay that's being utilized, you will love this game. The combos are interesting, each useful in varying situations, the leveling system is well implemented, the rate at which you unlock new weapons and abilities is very well done, and there's even a bit of exploration, although it's usually very simplistic and obvious. Those are the reasons I play the game, but there's also an added bonus of an interesting story, lore, and characters, as well as stunning visual effects. Expand
  45. Nov 16, 2011
    God of War is an amzing game that does not dissapoint. Everything is nearly flawless, the graphics are great for the PS2. The combat is very fluid and the best part of the game with many brutal kill animations. The plot holds out to be relatively strong with Kratos on a journey for vengeance. The set pieces are massive and detailed at the same time, God of War reaches epic proportions. TheGod of War is an amzing game that does not dissapoint. Everything is nearly flawless, the graphics are great for the PS2. The combat is very fluid and the best part of the game with many brutal kill animations. The plot holds out to be relatively strong with Kratos on a journey for vengeance. The set pieces are massive and detailed at the same time, God of War reaches epic proportions. The characters are all great too, especially Kratos. Kratos may be a cold-blooded killer but his tragic past makes you sympathize with him and he is a guy who you don't want mad at you. The only flaw is the platforming which can be a little irksome at times but not very. Overall, God of War is a great game to play, especially if you are into violence. "God of War" Score Breakdown: Presentation: 9.6, Graphics: 9.5, Sound: 9.5, Gameplay: 9.7, Lasting Appeal: 9.5. Verdict: 9.7 out of 10 "Amazing". Expand
  46. Oct 17, 2011
    unbelievable, kudos to david jaffe and team , what an exhilarating experience, gripping and addictive, u can not stop untill u end it, u just get inside the character so much that if he is hurt , u feel the pain.
    Wow what a play !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  47. Jul 27, 2011
    Full disclosure: I am playing this game on the PlayStation 3, as part of the "God of War Collection" which includes both "God of War" and "God of War 2" upgraded to HD visuals. I'm writing the review here because they are two separate games and deserve their own analysis. Also, I am playing the game for the very first time, as I never owned a PS2. Fist off, I love the game. IFull disclosure: I am playing this game on the PlayStation 3, as part of the "God of War Collection" which includes both "God of War" and "God of War 2" upgraded to HD visuals. I'm writing the review here because they are two separate games and deserve their own analysis. Also, I am playing the game for the very first time, as I never owned a PS2. Fist off, I love the game. I absolutely love it. So why am I taking away two points and giving it an 8 instead of a 10? Well, a 10 is damn near unattainable. To get that score, a game would have to be as amazing as "God of War" is, but without some of its flaws.

The first flaw is the camera. Players may not have had any issues with this at the time of the game's release, but they really should have. As your character, Kratos, moves throughout his environment, the camera is not static, but it is not dynamic either. It actually travels on rails, following Kratos around and often times delivering a very beautiful and cinematic angle from which to view the action. The problem is, that when battles ensue, (and ensue they do!) it is often impossible to see enemies on the periphery of the environment because the camera is too zoomed in, or positioned such that the player needs to lead the enemies to an area where they can get a good clean view of them. If you don't do this, you may get your ass kicked, even though you are fighting enemies you are otherwise fully capable of defeating easily.

So how could the developers have dealt with this? Simple, there are plenty of games that zoom out when a battle takes place, and that is what should have happened here. I have no problem with the cinematic angles. In fact, I love them when they are not hindering the battle sequences. Its unfortunate that this is as big of a problem as it is and because of it I have to knock off a point.

The second problem is the battle controls. That's right, the battle controls. How can I complain about everyone's favorite part of "God of War?" Well, I'm not actually complaining. I am actually pointing out something that is factual and non-objective; that the controls don't always work. They don't always work for a few reasons. One, I wish that the player had the ability to target a specific enemy, or "lock-on" to one of them, rather than just generally steer the left thumb-stick toward the desired target. In defense of the game, the defensive maneuver does seem to work regardless of which direction Kratos is being attacked from. This means that as long as the player is blocking, the enemy attack will be effectively blocked regardless of if the enemy attacks Kratos' front or back. I think the developer stayed away from the lock-on, probably because they were worried about it hindering the games combo system. Fair enough reason, but there are many games (Batman Arkham Asylum) which have great combo systems intact, even with a fantastic targeting system. This could have also been dealt with by allowing Kratos to score hits on enemies next to the ones he is targeting. Oh well, for whatever reason this was not to be.

The second flaw in the controls is the often mentioned mini-games or quick-time events which serve to initiate finishing moves. After an enemy takes a certain amount of damage, a prompt appears on the screen letting the player know that that enemy is now vulnerable to a finishing move. The moves are usually extremely cool, elaborate, violent, and fun to do. The problem is that the game very often does not register that the player is hitting the prompt button, and the finishing move becomes impossible to initiate. Together, these control flaws are enough to warrant another point off for me. They make an otherwise superb game frustrating.

Altogether, Kratos' first adventure is absolute stunner. Even with an 8 of 10 rating, the game remains a must play. It is stunning in its beauty even all these years after its original release. As far as a piece of art, it is perhaps a 9 or 9.5 out of 10, but due to some technical failures, the final is really no higher than an 8. Sorry Kratos, but that's as honest as a player can be.
  48. Jul 11, 2011
    Epic masterpiece, Kratos is even more monster than the brutality. The slick control is smooth and brilliant. Bloody,incredible and bold just wish more heroes had this kind of sense of humor.
  49. Jun 24, 2011
    absolutely amazing!!! i thing the people who are calling this a hack'n slash should first play this game and then look at the depth of its combat. great graphics,slick story and a great overall package...
  50. Apr 27, 2011
    9.5/10 = Incredible = Very clever in it's execution, and espiacially for game with so much blood, gore, and medusa boobs. One hell of an acton game!
  51. Apr 23, 2011
    If your looking for adventure, puzzle, and great combat, look no further. This is a fantastic game in all respects - it keeps you hooked from beginning to end. The pure scale of the environment is enough to warrant a purchase - the environment is vast and engaging. The difficulty level is perfectly tuned, the puzzles are difficult but not frustrating, and the battle scenes are intense andIf your looking for adventure, puzzle, and great combat, look no further. This is a fantastic game in all respects - it keeps you hooked from beginning to end. The pure scale of the environment is enough to warrant a purchase - the environment is vast and engaging. The difficulty level is perfectly tuned, the puzzles are difficult but not frustrating, and the battle scenes are intense and enjoyable in equal measure. All round God of War reaches near perfection and makes you really feel part of the Greek myth it emulates. It is true that there are minor issues with the fixed camera view, but this hardly detracts from the experience of the game as a whole. Also the game is a touch short ( can be finished in about 8 hours), but if you crank up the difficulty settings you soon realise that tactics are everything and the battle system requires skill and forethought. BUY IT Expand
  52. Mar 17, 2011
    This isn't one of the best games for the PS2 for nothing, I still can't believe the PS2 is capable of these kind of graphics, don't get me wrong there aged by todays standards but back then these were top notch, the sound track and voice work are PHENOMENAL!!! and the gameplay might be simple but the puzzles and combat are extremely satisfying, this really captures what I love most aboutThis isn't one of the best games for the PS2 for nothing, I still can't believe the PS2 is capable of these kind of graphics, don't get me wrong there aged by todays standards but back then these were top notch, the sound track and voice work are PHENOMENAL!!! and the gameplay might be simple but the puzzles and combat are extremely satisfying, this really captures what I love most about Greek mythology the sex and violence, this game makes you feel like a bad ass slicing your way through enemies with a giant sword, taking on giant bosses, avoiding deadly traps, satisfying maidens, and solving puzzles, and the story is awesome, by now your asking yourself if this is so perfect why didn't I give it a perfect 10? the only flaw I can find with this is the first boss fight, it's just boring, that flaw aside this is still one of the best games I've ever played, and a must own that's just shy of perfection. Expand
  53. Oct 7, 2010
    This game is the best i have ever played awesome bosses, puzzles and especially awesome combat after playing all three GOWs this one is still the best because of the way it got me so hooked. I personall love greek mythology and think this presented it amazingly. The hydra was just awesome
  54. OyvindS.W.
    Mar 21, 2010
    Silent Hunter 5 is a mixed bag. At the moment it's incomplete and fairly shallow, with several missing features and unbalances. However, with all the mods already out, and several more on the way, it's no big leap to believe that this will become a true classic once touched up by patches and mods. It has an incredibly moddability and already features things never found in III Silent Hunter 5 is a mixed bag. At the moment it's incomplete and fairly shallow, with several missing features and unbalances. However, with all the mods already out, and several more on the way, it's no big leap to believe that this will become a true classic once touched up by patches and mods. It has an incredibly moddability and already features things never found in III and 4, except through mods: milk cows, wolf packs, far more complex AI, and a far more dynamic campaign where the AI responds well to your every move, and to all the other traffic in the world. Sure, it's got its fault, but Silent Hunter 2, III and 4 were also fairly unfinished when they were released, and look at them now, SHIII in particular with the Grey Wolves Expansion. I highly recommend the review of Neal Stevens, webmaster of subsim.com. He gives a lengthy, honest and unbiased review that really dives (no pun intended) into the game. Expand
  55. Mr.Anonymous
    Feb 20, 2010
    Apparently, there are major differences between "blatant ripoff" and "improving upon a successful formula". God of War is the latter. It combines the successful elements of action games (Devil May Cry), platforming (Prince of Persia). The combination was so well, so incredible that God of War is one of the best games of this decade. God of War is packed with gorgeous visuals, intense bossApparently, there are major differences between "blatant ripoff" and "improving upon a successful formula". God of War is the latter. It combines the successful elements of action games (Devil May Cry), platforming (Prince of Persia). The combination was so well, so incredible that God of War is one of the best games of this decade. God of War is packed with gorgeous visuals, intense boss fights (which requires strategy, timing, and button-mashing, of course), and relaxing (not too easy, not too hard) puzzles. The puzzles are a nice way to slow the pace down, keep yourself cool after minutes of button mashing. But of course, button mashing alone does not work (unless you're playing on the easy difficulty - shame for you). God of War is best played on normal difficulty and above, where you'll have to time every dodge, think fast (whether you should dodge or block - some attacks parry your guard, some attacks have a wide area of effects which makes dodging useless). Also, you have to think whether to use a normal attack or a strong attack, and sometimes, throw in a magic attack (some magic attacks render you invulnerable to enemies' attacks). Simply put, God of War is a highly addictive action-platforming game that every fan of the genre should enjoy. Expand
  56. TomL.
    Jan 31, 2009
    Amazing!
  57. AnonymousMC
    Jul 20, 2008
    This is the type of game that reminds people why they started playing in the first place. Fun and enternaining on what unfourtunatly seems to be in second place in terms of importance on the industry theses days.
    Even with some minor flaws, this is without a doubt one of the best games around and a good influence on recent titles. Comparing this to completely different genres like Halo makes no sense at all.
  58. AdamW.
    Dec 11, 2007
    A very fun game if you like fighting (somewhat button-mashing), (poorly animated) breasts, and massive amounts of gore. There's very little replay value except to unlock some of the amusing extras and secrets. The music is alright but I've heard better. The storyline and plot was kind of generic but was acceptable. You should rent this game.
  59. JessicaC.
    Oct 31, 2007
    God of War for Play station two is such an awesome game! Before I played God of War I played Prince of Persia and thought it was the best game ever until I heard of God of War! I love the mythology in it and the awesome action! I love how you get the option to out it on Legendary. Super hard.
  60. FFIXlove
    Oct 27, 2007
    An awesome game with amazing combat mechanics. The plot is good, although could have been better developed. But the game is too short. Still an amazing experience with puzzles fitted in to make the experience more varied. The main music theme is very good, but lacks variety. Lots of blood and gore, so if you actively dislike that sort of thing dont get it. Otherwise, go buy it.
  61. MikeF.
    Oct 16, 2007
    Entertaining for hours. Very fun. I'm sad that I didn't learn about this game until recently, played it on my PS3 - with upscaling looked GREAT on 420p :)
  62. JefferyG.
    Sep 6, 2007
  63. VanessaR.
    Aug 4, 2007
    I've still got about 1/4 to go - game play is brilliant, graphics, story, music and animation is very well done. Already have the second god of war waiting to be played!
  64. JamesB.
    Jun 23, 2007
    This game has high definition movies -in-game movies called- and the puzzles and battles you nned to do to win are considerably difficult. I expect that this saga of games -God of War- wouldn't end, but it has to. I'm very anxious waiting for the 3rd game.
  65. JasonC.
    Jun 14, 2007
    Great graphics for current gen, great gameplay, great story, great cutscenes.
  66. ChrisR.
    Jun 9, 2007
    This game it has everything, gore, blood, action and a great story, those who didn't liked it, screw! I just got it because I wanted to play the sequel, but first this one, and oh what a great surprise, is awesome!
  67. KyleH.
    May 25, 2007
    This game is by far the best game I have ever played on the PS2. It had all the elements you'd expect from a top rate title. The gameplay was excellent, both hack n' slash action & puzzle solving were fun & challenging. The audio and graphics were so good the game actually fooled me into thinking I was playing it on my Xbox! I was blown away.
  68. JamesC.
    May 23, 2007
    By far the best game for the PS2. Beautiful storyline. Unique upgradeable combat moves. Can't think of any reason why people are going as low as 1's or even 0's here. I'll be buying the PS3 solely for GOW3.
  69. Uber_Owner
    Apr 23, 2007
    This game is amazing all the puzzles combos that you can do. Non stop combat mode they just keep coming....great graphics I love the story. The game is just all around amazing.
  70. RyanP.
    Apr 17, 2007
    This is the definitive action game on the PS2 that started it all. GoW combines amazing action, story, and presentation in a very tight package! GoWII is even better!
  71. SomeGuy
    Apr 2, 2007
    Brilliant! I revisited this game after almost a year and it's still as fun, exciting and compelling as it was the first time. Even now I'm discovering heaps of new things. It's not just a hack 'n' slash fest, the game also has some really clever puzzles and the story is told magnificently. An all-round masterpiece.
  72. MikeD.
    Mar 23, 2007
    God of War has taken the beautiful mystical world of the ancient Greeks,and made it even more exciting, while still keeping the gameplay and story smooth. Anyone who has ever played a videogame before, has to admit that this one is indeed revolutionary and deserves 10/10.
  73. WaelD.
    Mar 12, 2007
    This game is the most beautiful game I've played. It's so rare to see any game that's visually innovative, and this game is, the environments are unique, the gameplay is unique, the mood is unique. It was like playing Salambo. And the dark depressing storyline seems to be taken right out of Greek mythology especially because they made it fit perfectly into it. And the This game is the most beautiful game I've played. It's so rare to see any game that's visually innovative, and this game is, the environments are unique, the gameplay is unique, the mood is unique. It was like playing Salambo. And the dark depressing storyline seems to be taken right out of Greek mythology especially because they made it fit perfectly into it. And the platforming is annoying as long as you can press the buttons at the right time, I believe a monkey should be able to do that if he's given about ten tries, but then again some people don't have the mental capacity of a monkey. What's even better is that the sequel seems to live up and even surpass its predecessor. Expand
  74. AndrewG.
    Jan 1, 2007
    God of War is really fun, beautifully made, and has an excellent story. The reason why I give it an 8 is because of the extremely annoying platforming-esque challenges at some points. It is beyond annoying to die to a small fire when you're almost done winning a long fight - or falling off a ledge, or falling into lava, or randomly falling off a cliff. The checkpoints are fairly God of War is really fun, beautifully made, and has an excellent story. The reason why I give it an 8 is because of the extremely annoying platforming-esque challenges at some points. It is beyond annoying to die to a small fire when you're almost done winning a long fight - or falling off a ledge, or falling into lava, or randomly falling off a cliff. The checkpoints are fairly generous, but there were a number of times where I said "OH MY GOD THIS IS FREAKING TERRIBLE", because I would have to go back through a difficult battle. This game is DEFINITELY worth a buy, but just be warned that there is too much platforming and not enough boss battles (the ones that are there though are AMAZING). Expand
  75. JakeR.
    Dec 6, 2006
    This game is a miracle for the PS2. The system was dying, and this brought it back to life. This game is the only reason I still have a ps2. Its graphics are of the highest quality possible on the ps2, the ability to string togather attacks is sublime, and the cinematics seamlessly interwind with the compleling story. Sony owes Jaffe and his genius of a crew A LOT. Go, buy this game. If This game is a miracle for the PS2. The system was dying, and this brought it back to life. This game is the only reason I still have a ps2. Its graphics are of the highest quality possible on the ps2, the ability to string togather attacks is sublime, and the cinematics seamlessly interwind with the compleling story. Sony owes Jaffe and his genius of a crew A LOT. Go, buy this game. If you havent a ps2, you are sorely out of luck, as this is the ultimate in gaming. Marvelous. Expand
  76. MichaelC.
    Sep 13, 2006
    This is an incredible game, it has so many memorible moments. I don't think I'll ever forget the time I played for 6 hours straight to beat the end of the game. The gameplay is a bit button mashing, but you get some magic moves to mix it up. But the greatest aspect of God of War is the story, if you don't want to play to see the end of it, you need to be checked for a This is an incredible game, it has so many memorible moments. I don't think I'll ever forget the time I played for 6 hours straight to beat the end of the game. The gameplay is a bit button mashing, but you get some magic moves to mix it up. But the greatest aspect of God of War is the story, if you don't want to play to see the end of it, you need to be checked for a pulse, as it slowly reveals itself. Although I don't think it surpas's Resident Evil 4 as the best game of 2005, it still is worth every cent, my favorite PS2 game, and now it's 20$ there is no reason not to own this game, well unless you're a younger typ of audience, it is a very very mature game, more so than any game I've ever played. Expand
  77. Sanurai
    Sep 2, 2006
    This game is the most awesome game ever! It is great to play with your girlfriend. Seriously, this girl helped a brutha out, yo. We slayed those baddies like pancakes on a hot summer day. We caused more chaos than a herd of buffalo through a small town. We destroyed more of the earth than the Bush administration. We enjoyed the difficulty of the game and the puzzles, the visuals harkened This game is the most awesome game ever! It is great to play with your girlfriend. Seriously, this girl helped a brutha out, yo. We slayed those baddies like pancakes on a hot summer day. We caused more chaos than a herd of buffalo through a small town. We destroyed more of the earth than the Bush administration. We enjoyed the difficulty of the game and the puzzles, the visuals harkened back to those thrillin' dayz of yesteryear. Expand
  78. JamieT.
    Aug 14, 2006
    This game is great to play and has an exciting story to go along with it.
  79. MatthewH.
    Aug 12, 2006
    1 of the best i have ever played when u play till u literly not notice that u hungy or tired and keep u entertained untill the end u got a winner. and if u get mad because its over u just want to get more.
  80. AndyM.
    Aug 7, 2006
    Personally, I think that you haven't played action games until you've played this masterpiece.
  81. DonC.
    Jul 26, 2006
    Phenomenal. Possibly the most polished game I've played. The design is excellent too - puzzles that don't get old, aren't too hard. Incredibly well balanced all-around.
  82. SeanB.
    Jun 30, 2006
    God of War gives me something that I never expected from it, even though it may very well be the finest game in the massive library of the PlayStation 2. God of War feels like a solid, current-gen quality game, but it manages to capture the feeling that hooked us all on games in the first place. The first time I strung together a 70 Hit Combo on Medusa, God of War took a place in my heart God of War gives me something that I never expected from it, even though it may very well be the finest game in the massive library of the PlayStation 2. God of War feels like a solid, current-gen quality game, but it manages to capture the feeling that hooked us all on games in the first place. The first time I strung together a 70 Hit Combo on Medusa, God of War took a place in my heart forever. For anyone wondering whether or not the industry is slipping away from its roots, God of War gives you an answer. This is what games should be, because it's what they always have been. Pure entertainment and a sense of pride and accomplishment. Mix that with an epic story and just a dash (ok, about 14 pounds) of blood and sex, not to mention the greatest anti-hero in the history of video games, and you have the best game of the current generation of consoles. Needless to say, God of War comes recommended. Expand
  83. CharlesM.
    Jun 7, 2006
    Regardless of the jaded comments from other reviewers this game offers everything that a MATURE gamer could desire. The fighting style is second to none, the path and storyline are engaging to all who enjoy video games and provide the rush of achievement that other games today sadly lack. The movies are well thought out and could be put together on Adult Swim to provide a great after Regardless of the jaded comments from other reviewers this game offers everything that a MATURE gamer could desire. The fighting style is second to none, the path and storyline are engaging to all who enjoy video games and provide the rush of achievement that other games today sadly lack. The movies are well thought out and could be put together on Adult Swim to provide a great after hours new Greek myth. Play on easy for simple hack n slash gore fest fun, then play again on Spartan for a challenege and try God Mode if you think you are up to the test and feel like getting hacked apart like you cut the easier modes into pieces on. With all the accomplishments of the game to date God Of War 2 has a lot to live up to, but this true blue gamer honestly cannot wait to sink his teeth into the sequel. Expand
  84. MitchN.
    May 3, 2006
    Out of all the games I"ve played this is one of the better ones and the goariest ones. It's even better than Kingdom Hearts!
  85. BrendaT.
    Apr 26, 2006
    This has to be the best PS2 game released. The graphics are awesome, the skill levels challenging, the storyline great and flowing. There are only 2 problems...1). having to wait another year for GOW2 & 2). not being able to find another game that is as great as this!
  86. NiclasD.
    Apr 14, 2006
    Probably the best game available on the PS2 God of War epitomizes the attempts of a combination of violence, sex, buttonbashing, difficulty, storytelling and narratives altogether told using Greek mythology - although the last hasn't been represented in most games... Seldom camera issues aside the game is hands down on of the best if not the best game of the year. Why the game Probably the best game available on the PS2 God of War epitomizes the attempts of a combination of violence, sex, buttonbashing, difficulty, storytelling and narratives altogether told using Greek mythology - although the last hasn't been represented in most games... Seldom camera issues aside the game is hands down on of the best if not the best game of the year. Why the game hasn't been awarded a 10 might occur to you as odd, as it is to me, but it feels weird giving a game based on rather simple elements such a grade - the counterargument is of course that the game and its elements are executed in such a damn good way. I'd give it a 9½ if half grades were possible. Expand
  87. AnonymousMC
    Apr 5, 2006
    Holy S***T is this the best game ever or the best porn game ever? Both. I thank the gods for showing me some hooters!!!!!!!!!!!! oh yeah i forgot and the best actoin game ever. This is a game you want to have and to keep forever. and when you get children give to them and then tell thats how babys are made.
  88. AnonymousMC
    Mar 19, 2006
    i love this game
    i am very picky on what kind of games i play and this game is the best 1 i have ever played!!!!
    i would give this game a 20 but 10 is the highest
    i love the puzzles,graphics,fighting moves, the whole package! god of war is fuckin rad!!!
  89. WesleyE.
    Mar 14, 2006
    GTA may have innovated in game design, and Halo may have been fun to play, but to say that God of War is straight-up the best American game of the last 5 years is a very severe understatement.
  90. ThonyM.
    Mar 14, 2006
    great game, graphics, fun all that...wouldnt say as good of resident evil, but theyre different games entierly so cant really compare.
  91. DanB.
    Mar 1, 2006
    A classic game just enough puzzles and gore to keep everybody happy, sweet graphics and good story.
  92. DavidM.
    Mar 1, 2006
    This is a fun and hard game that has lots of puzzles and fighting.
  93. ArasS.
    Jan 19, 2006
    this game is unbelieveable and kicks resident evils butt.
  94. AdamD.
    Jan 17, 2006
    Without a doubt, this is the best game I have ever had the pleasure of playing. Halo, GTA, Legend of Zelda... these are all great games, but the truest form of story, action, and sheer brilliant entertainment of this game make it a must own title on any system.
  95. ChadC.
    Dec 22, 2005
    Quite possibly the best game on the PS2 ever.
  96. AlpaF.
    Dec 18, 2005
    Today i have bought this game and i can't stop playing it :D!!! Is one of the best games that I has play I all my life
  97. EliG.
    Dec 12, 2005
    This game was awesome! I never got bored and it was hard to put down. It was complicated at times, but not impossible and I liked the upgrades. But it got a little repetive and I wished the puzzels involved more than just pushing and pulling. Doesn't seem like a blend of Onimusha and Prince of Persia?
  98. KhaledS.
    Nov 28, 2005
    The best action game ever on ps2. Cratos is outstanding as a hero to play with. But I think he lacs in balance when he is on top of a bar or something. Sony should give the Balance as Prince of Persia has.
  99. VahndD.
    Nov 14, 2005
    best game i've ever played. from the begiining till the end always shocked me. can't wait for the sequel. excellent job for the team.
  100. Alex
    Nov 14, 2005
    God of War is one of those games that you don't realy have to pay attention to in order to enjoy. You could go through a good slice of the game without having to think too hard about what's going on. but, the various puzzle sequances scattered throughout the game keep it from getting monotounous or boring, and require you to actually plan out your next move. the only thing God of War is one of those games that you don't realy have to pay attention to in order to enjoy. You could go through a good slice of the game without having to think too hard about what's going on. but, the various puzzle sequances scattered throughout the game keep it from getting monotounous or boring, and require you to actually plan out your next move. the only thing keeping this game from a 10 is the sometimes awful (and other times just plain bad) voice acting on the part of Kratos' and Aries' characters. Expand

#3 Most Discussed PS2 Game of 2005
#2 Most Shared PS2 Game of 2005

1. Game Informer
    While playing God of War, I honestly found it difficult to resist the urge to simply genuflect and be humbled to be in the presence of such digital divinity, this god among games. [Apr 2005, p.122]
    If you like to kill freaky things with your giant serrated knives, you'll love the s*** out of this... This videogame features sexual situations, bare breasts and excessive brutality. Good with that? Excellent!
  3. Play Magazine
    The game contains so much energy and conviction, so much skill and spirit. There came a point where I was totally lost to it, in the way you are to a great movie - to any powerful art form. [Apr 2005, p.50]