• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: Mar 22, 2005
8.9

1. Sep 20, 2012
    (Translate from Portuguese into English)O começo do que seria a melhor trilogia que já joguei,tudo é perfeito nele (para a época),a batalha final é épica,Kratos conquistou uma legião de fãs com este jogo,acho que foi o jogo que mais vezes zerei.
  2. Feb 2, 2013
    I was reading the negative reviews of this game and its just like... Oh this game's music is horrible. Then turn the music off. "It's too hard and there is so much blood..." First of all games dont suck because there hard and this is god of war, there is tons of blood. No that that done with we can review this awesome game. The story is good but the game lacks a lot of cutscenes so youI was reading the negative reviews of this game and its just like... Oh this game's music is horrible. Then turn the music off. "It's too hard and there is so much blood..." First of all games dont suck because there hard and this is god of war, there is tons of blood. No that that done with we can review this awesome game. The story is good but the game lacks a lot of cutscenes so you will find you self a few hours brefor something happens. The game presents it self well though. The music is awesome not much to complain about, The gameplay is superb and the QTE's can be hard but are extremely satisfying. The blades of chaos are extremely good but late game you will prbabaly ditch them for the artemis sword. The puzzles will get you thinking. The magic isnt really that notable becuase you use it when its needed. The graphics are ok but its ps2 game y'know? Kratos is an extremely deep and badass character while the supporting characters, um support. The only notable characters are Kratos, athena, and Ares who has an epic flame beard by the way. The game is worth renting, as its not that notable but if you really like it buy it. The bosses all have a puzzle to solve in order to beat them, like the hydra boss you have to impale each head when you down it. However ares is the boss you really want to fight. The diffculty isnt to bad but the part in underworld is frustrating as hell. The art design is completly good, you will feel like your in ancient greece. And did i mention theres is a sex minigame and boobies! So if you like boobs, sex blood and gore, hack and slash, and flame beards than this game is for you Expand
  3. TomL.
    Jan 31, 2009
    Amazing!
  4. Oct 7, 2010
    This game is the best i have ever played awesome bosses, puzzles and especially awesome combat after playing all three GOWs this one is still the best because of the way it got me so hooked. I personall love greek mythology and think this presented it amazingly. The hydra was just awesome
  5. Apr 27, 2011
    9.5/10 = Incredible = Very clever in it's execution, and espiacially for game with so much blood, gore, and medusa boobs. One hell of an acton game!
  6. Jul 20, 2012
    While it's less smooth in terms of gameplay than the later titles, this is still probably my favorite in the series. I don't get why people are calling it such a short game. I've beaten it twice and both times took me over 8 hours, not including mistakes. It doesn't feel rushed or thrown together at all, I actually feel that Pandora's Temple is one of the most intriguing and well designedWhile it's less smooth in terms of gameplay than the later titles, this is still probably my favorite in the series. I don't get why people are calling it such a short game. I've beaten it twice and both times took me over 8 hours, not including mistakes. It doesn't feel rushed or thrown together at all, I actually feel that Pandora's Temple is one of the most intriguing and well designed areas in a videogame. Some of the segments toward the end can be very frustrating, is my only complaint. Expand
  7. Nov 16, 2013
    One word: Kickass..........................................................................................................................................
  8. Sep 27, 2013
    If theirs one word that describes God of War its Epic, the hack and slash gameplay is amazing. GOW has some of the best puzzles ive ever seen. The graphics where great for its time, this game has one of the best stories ever told. Kratos is a gods servant and must do what Ares tells him to do, but Ares takes it to far when he makes Kratos kill his own family, Kratos goes on an epic journeyIf theirs one word that describes God of War its Epic, the hack and slash gameplay is amazing. GOW has some of the best puzzles ive ever seen. The graphics where great for its time, this game has one of the best stories ever told. Kratos is a gods servant and must do what Ares tells him to do, but Ares takes it to far when he makes Kratos kill his own family, Kratos goes on an epic journey to kill the god of war Ares. If you love greek mythology or anything badass than this is the game for you. Expand
  9. Nov 20, 2013
    this game shows everything good that happens in playstaiton 2,it had excellent graphics(for the time)and an amazing original story,the only problem is that isn't an open world game.
  10. Nov 22, 2013
    as for a new title in Sony PlayStation this just nailed each and every game in all console division. the cut scenes are awesome as for PlayStation 2 .loved the blood and gore kills and one of the best story. Kratos is one of the main character that represent the PlayStation division. just feel the graphics quite low after completing god of war II. still my first PS2 game and has theas for a new title in Sony PlayStation this just nailed each and every game in all console division. the cut scenes are awesome as for PlayStation 2 .loved the blood and gore kills and one of the best story. Kratos is one of the main character that represent the PlayStation division. just feel the graphics quite low after completing god of war II. still my first PS2 game and has the hardest challenges of all!! Expand
  11. MitchellT.
    Apr 8, 2005
    Honestly, one of the best games I've ever played. Graphics are some of the best, great animation, AMAZING score, and just fun as hell to play. My only complaints, the game felt too short and seemed to a might bit too easy (on normal mode anyway - this has been subsequently remedied on GOD mode). In either case, buy or rent this game. It is awesome.
  12. SomeGuy
    Apr 2, 2007
    Brilliant! I revisited this game after almost a year and it's still as fun, exciting and compelling as it was the first time. Even now I'm discovering heaps of new things. It's not just a hack 'n' slash fest, the game also has some really clever puzzles and the story is told magnificently. An all-round masterpiece.
  13. VanessaR.
    Aug 4, 2007
    I've still got about 1/4 to go - game play is brilliant, graphics, story, music and animation is very well done. Already have the second god of war waiting to be played!
  14. MartyB.
    Oct 9, 2005
    This game kicks ass.
  15. ChrisS.
    Mar 30, 2005
    Really fun and visually exciting game. As for Ahmed not getting what he expected, its called researching the game. If you wanted a free roaming game, you should of read up on the game before buying. This game will give you a rush. Excellent.
  16. TylerN.
    Apr 20, 2005
    I'll be honest, I am not a "pro-gamer". I typically don't like video games, but God of War is by far my favorite game to date. Much better than Halo 2.
  17. MarcD.
    Apr 2, 2005
    Finally...a character which transcends it's field of entertainment. Besides the fact that God Of War is a remarkable gaming achievement, the most impressive point to note is how brilliant and layered the Kratos is. Characters this deep belong on the top teir of RPGs, not action adventure games. It just adds a whole lot of satisfaction to the experience when you play through as such Finally...a character which transcends it's field of entertainment. Besides the fact that God Of War is a remarkable gaming achievement, the most impressive point to note is how brilliant and layered the Kratos is. Characters this deep belong on the top teir of RPGs, not action adventure games. It just adds a whole lot of satisfaction to the experience when you play through as such an amazing literary character. My fave gaming character for sure. Expand
  18. PodR.
    Apr 28, 2005
    Thuis game has the ultimate gameplay and so perfect graphics....And it involves my favourite Greek mythology.
  19. RobD.
    May 6, 2005
    I'm not quite finished but this game is so fun. It's not as compelling as Resident Evil 4, but pretty damn cool. It's not frustratingly difficult, but it's held my attention.
  20. CavadorC.
    Jul 5, 2005
    Awesome game.
  21. MorganC.
    Aug 21, 2005
    This game made me remember why I bought my PS2. Stunning visuals meet a divine combat system in the clash between vengeful demigod and his former master.
  22. Sanurai
    Sep 2, 2006
    This game is the most awesome game ever! It is great to play with your girlfriend. Seriously, this girl helped a brutha out, yo. We slayed those baddies like pancakes on a hot summer day. We caused more chaos than a herd of buffalo through a small town. We destroyed more of the earth than the Bush administration. We enjoyed the difficulty of the game and the puzzles, the visuals harkened This game is the most awesome game ever! It is great to play with your girlfriend. Seriously, this girl helped a brutha out, yo. We slayed those baddies like pancakes on a hot summer day. We caused more chaos than a herd of buffalo through a small town. We destroyed more of the earth than the Bush administration. We enjoyed the difficulty of the game and the puzzles, the visuals harkened back to those thrillin' dayz of yesteryear. Expand
  23. AnonymousMC
    Jul 20, 2008
    This is the type of game that reminds people why they started playing in the first place. Fun and enternaining on what unfourtunatly seems to be in second place in terms of importance on the industry theses days.
    Even with some minor flaws, this is without a doubt one of the best games around and a good influence on recent titles. Comparing this to completely different genres like Halo makes no sense at all.
  24. Mr.Anonymous
    Feb 20, 2010
    Apparently, there are major differences between "blatant ripoff" and "improving upon a successful formula". God of War is the latter. It combines the successful elements of action games (Devil May Cry), platforming (Prince of Persia). The combination was so well, so incredible that God of War is one of the best games of this decade. God of War is packed with gorgeous visuals, intense bossApparently, there are major differences between "blatant ripoff" and "improving upon a successful formula". God of War is the latter. It combines the successful elements of action games (Devil May Cry), platforming (Prince of Persia). The combination was so well, so incredible that God of War is one of the best games of this decade. God of War is packed with gorgeous visuals, intense boss fights (which requires strategy, timing, and button-mashing, of course), and relaxing (not too easy, not too hard) puzzles. The puzzles are a nice way to slow the pace down, keep yourself cool after minutes of button mashing. But of course, button mashing alone does not work (unless you're playing on the easy difficulty - shame for you). God of War is best played on normal difficulty and above, where you'll have to time every dodge, think fast (whether you should dodge or block - some attacks parry your guard, some attacks have a wide area of effects which makes dodging useless). Also, you have to think whether to use a normal attack or a strong attack, and sometimes, throw in a magic attack (some magic attacks render you invulnerable to enemies' attacks). Simply put, God of War is a highly addictive action-platforming game that every fan of the genre should enjoy. Expand
  25. RJ
    Oct 24, 2005
    And i thought prince of persia: warrior within was morbid, this game has excellent effects and very violent...I LOVE IT!
  26. Melissa
    Mar 28, 2005
    10!! Most emphatically 10. Great story, combined with beautiful art, a fantistically full and complex hero, brutal combos, and gruesome finishing moves, God of War takes all other games in this genre and banishes them to Hades. Obviously, TelyS hasn't yet graduated from Reader Rabbit Learns Phonics.
  27. JohannT.S.
    Mar 30, 2005
    Those who don't like this game are fools. Impertinent fools! Listen to me now and believe me later, this game has redefined video games. So get your hands off your boys and give in mofo, give in.
  28. AnonymousMC
    Mar 30, 2005
    Ahmed A. is a real dickhead for giving this game a 1, this guy most really not know anything about gaming, or he is just a real hater who is just unhappy with life it self. He probably just started playing video games when playstation 2 came out. I bet he never played Atari 2600 or 5200, Kellicovision, Intelavision, The First Nintendo, Neo Geo, Genisis, Turbo Graphics 16, Atari Jaguar orAhmed A. is a real dickhead for giving this game a 1, this guy most really not know anything about gaming, or he is just a real hater who is just unhappy with life it self. He probably just started playing video games when playstation 2 came out. I bet he never played Atari 2600 or 5200, Kellicovision, Intelavision, The First Nintendo, Neo Geo, Genisis, Turbo Graphics 16, Atari Jaguar or any other system I forgot, shot he probably never been to an arcade. This guy just doesn't have a clue, rating this game a 1? This guy is crazy, everyone please do not go off of his inexperianced rating. The first hot game he probably played was GTA 3 or Final Fantasy X or something. This game is a 10, rent if you don't believe me and then rate it and you'll say the same thing about Ahmed A. as me. Expand
  29. Cavador
    Apr 1, 2005
    Simply outstanding.
  30. Andrew
    Apr 2, 2005
    Excellent game ! Great fun, some annoyance in the, at times, limited view. Some fantastic scenes and battles gloriously realised. Highly Recomended.

1. While playing God of War, I honestly found it difficult to resist the urge to simply genuflect and be humbled to be in the presence of such digital divinity, this god among games. [Apr 2005, p.122]
    If you like to kill freaky things with your giant serrated knives, you'll love the s*** out of this... This videogame features sexual situations, bare breasts and excessive brutality. Good with that? Excellent!
  3. The game contains so much energy and conviction, so much skill and spirit. There came a point where I was totally lost to it, in the way you are to a great movie - to any powerful art form. [Apr 2005, p.50]