8.5

1. Nov 7, 2011
    This is an infinitely replayable game that has so much to do. You are crazy if you don't like this game. It is so fun because you can do anything in this game, whether it is free roaming the Liberty City streets or playing the missions.
  2. Jun 12, 2013
    As a game Grand Theft Auto III certainly has its flaws’, including fairly poor controls as well as some horrendous difficulty spikes. Very few games however claim to be as influential on video game design to the point where, more than a decade after its release, games are still imitating its formula.
  3. Mar 27, 2012
    GTA III is a classic , Rockstar's creativity to make an open-world/sandbox game at that time was innovative. You can send hours goofing on the streets killing,destroying or crashing cars , set with an interesting story that will not be forgotten for those that payed attention. GTA III delivers enough to satisfy last generation and current/future generation alike.
  4. Jul 30, 2012
    This is of course one of the greatest games of all time both in its own merits and for its innovations for gaming as a whole. Unfortunately however, the PS2 controls make this game extremely awkward to play. nlike the PC version, you can't choose between classic and PC-style controls. Obviously this game would be much easier with a mouse and keyboard but despite the auto-aim even the start of the game can be difficult due to the awkward camera (both in car and on foot), clunky movement and looking around. To turn the camera you go into first person and can't do anything, and the sensitivity is too low. The game is an iconic masterpiece but the controls make it almost unplayable. It owuld be nice to at least be able to use the PC style controls with a controller. Expand
  5. Oct 3, 2010
    The game that transformed the genre and the industry~ I remember staying at a friends place, me and a few others taking turns to play this game I could never forget how much fun this game has brought me over time and how long it stayed relevant and fun.
  6. Mar 16, 2013
    Cool am Ivan is 0% right. GTA III is the best PlayStation 2 game ever so dont listen to um..."Cool" am Ivan. The story-line is breathtaking and has a awesome set of missions, including Toni Cipriani!
  7. Oct 30, 2013
    the two firsts gta games were nothing special,but in the third game and with another generation they made something really special and terrific,this game would change this series forever.
  8. Dec 4, 2012
    **** yeah, **** I played this when I was six and I swear to god, I saw Jesus. Maybe not literally but I saw what video games could be. I saw what every gamer should see. It's amazing.
  9. Dec 16, 2012
    Amazing game. Good graphics and big city, for its times, and very good plot. The gameplay is great because you can do a lot of things (although it isn't even comparable to GTA San Andreas). 100% recommended.
  10. Jul 29, 2013
    A mediocre shooter/gangster game where you can kill people on the streets without any reason. I would say, games like this should be banned because they teach kids that being a criminal is fun. And that's a dangerous thing. Criminals should be in prison, that's the normal state of events, and you should teach kids that.
  11. Sep 29, 2013
    Si bien para mí "Grand Theft Auto" empezó en Vice City, "Grand Theft Auto III" es legendario y digno de cualquier espectador que siga disfrutando de una de mis consolas favoritas: la legendaria PlayStation 2, y ¿Por qué es mi favorita? Porque juegos como "Gand Theft Auto III" se presentaron para esta increíble consola. Impresionante lo que se es capaz de hacer en este mapa y me acuerdo hace mucho tiempo la primera vez que lo jugué casi estaba por llorar porque directamente era hermoso lo que pasaba por mis ojos. "Grand Theft Auto" manda. Expand
  12. Apr 7, 2011
    One of the very first games I ever played. I can remember many a weekend playing this game endlessly. It was fun, the cars were cool, the missions were rewarding and it had one of the most important devices in any GTA game; the idea of being able to go wherever you want, when you want and do what you want. Whether I was blasting pedestrians with a shotgun, doing an insane stunt or being chased by the police, this game always had a special place in my heart. Only drawback was that even for 2001, the graphics looked primitive. But apart from that, the best GTA on the PS2. Expand
  13. Sep 20, 2013
    GTA III is the 3rd installment in the GTA series. The game remains one of the most contrevisial games ever, the game is violent and cool, the story is the best thing about the game and the gameplay now isn't that unique and the graphics is what everybody is about but this game came out in 2001 and those were the best graphics for those years. GTA III is an amazing game and it's incredibly alot and I mean alot of fun. 10/10 Expand
  14. Dec 27, 2013
    I sold my n 64 and 30 some odd games plus a ps1 and some more games to buy a PS2 and GTA 3. It was worth it. I Love how revolutionary this game was. I brought open real worlds gaming to the millennium. Boy gaming wise this started will an earthquake that shocked the gaming industry. One of the most innovative titles i have ever had the grace to play. Plus the main character does not have an annoying voice nor does he say cheesy cliches. Expand
  15. Jan 1, 2014
    Grand Theft Auto 3 was a huge leap forward for videogame history as it featured one of the first fully 3D open world environments and a good story mode.
  16. Jan 1, 2012
    If someone were to play this game, having played GTAIV and its subsequent add-ons, you would definitely see how dated and sloppy some areas of GTAIII can be. But at the time of its release, it was an absolute landmark in gaming. It set the standard for open world games as know it and introduced game-play elements that are now common ground. It can be hard to appreciate this game as much as it should be appreciated, considering it is definitely outdated nowadays, but respect is still deserved for one of the greatest games ever made. Bring on GTA5! Expand
  17. Dec 14, 2011
    When i heard this was coming out for the PS2, i turned my nose up at it. I wasn't a GTA fan i hated the birds-eye view. After a few months of my cousin pestering me to get it off my friend, i did. I tell you now i loved it, i have NEVER EVER played a game where its ok to cruise, listen to music and kill people. This game was brilliant. The maps were huge, the missions vaired. The rise from a street punk to a top gangster was just pure brilliance. Expand
  18. Mar 10, 2012
    This Game Is Alright For Gamers. I Would Rather Play This Game If I Had Nothing To Do Though. But It Is A Good Game. i Just Wish The Voice, Sound And Lighting Would Improve.
  19. Aug 22, 2010
    Too all those people who are calling the game bad: Sure, everything about GTA III is dated. The graphics are horrible by todays standard. The AI is, too. But when GTA III first came out, it was revolutionary. It's still a great game, and fun just to run around the city and get a six star wanted level. It's still a very good game, by 2001's standards.
  20. Sep 25, 2013
    EN: Grand Theft Auto III isn't just a superb game, he's also the most influential and revolutionary title of its generation and was able to become the ground zero of modern third-person gaming.

PT-BR: Grand Theft Auto III não só um jogo soberbo, ele também o título mais influente e revolucionário de sua geração e foi capaz de se tornar o marco zero dos jogos modernos em terceira pessra
    pessoa Expand
  21. Dec 16, 2010
    Grand Theft Auto III was the revolutionary video game in 2001, but now some people say this game is dog &$#@, but not really!The 18 content is not really 18!The violence is not extreme and no sex!But Foul language is WTF.The action blazes,but with some small bugs!This review is short and this game isn't perfection like Super Mario Galaxy and Ocarina of Time!Those are perfect!
  22. Aug 22, 2012
    Clearly one of the best games ever made. This game is one of the greatest games ever created. Story is great and the main character's silent is nice too, Graphics are overall nice. Gameplay became the basis for every GTA game followed.
    Every person who will rank this game lower than 9 - he/she can go f*** himself/herself.
  23. Apr 16, 2013
    Grand Theft Auto III is, quite simply, one of the greatest video game accomplishments in history. It single-handedly invented the sandbox genre, and it's my favorite video game of all time. It gets nearly everything it tries to do right, and in doing so, made history. The open ended gameplay is always fun, but that's what most people focus on, but who could blame them? Before GTA III, gamers had never played anything like this before. However, there is a story here revolving around structured missions that shouldn't be missed. GTA III combines action/adventure and driving games flawlessly. With its respectable amount of vehicle and weapon choices, alongside the size of the map and the progressively tougher story missions, this is an extremely varied game that will almost sate anyone's appetite for a lengthy adventure to sink their teeth into. The story itself is, admittedly, nothing special, but with the sheer size of this game (for its time), to even incorporate a flowing narrative is, without a doubt, something to marvel. That's basically how I saw this game when it was released; something I was absolutely in awe at. The controls are spot on for driving, walking around, punching random pedestrians, etc., but the targeting system for aiming weapons will leave a bad taste with some gamers. Does that make it bad? No. Once you learn how to use it (along with conserving health and armor) you can get through any mission with minimal trouble. Any reviewer who could possibly label this masterpiece as a bad game simply has no business reviewing video games. That Sleeping Dogs, Crackdown, Infamous games you've been playing? All of those owe GTA III, big time. This game is the blueprint for sandbox games, and a damn fine model to go from, at that. Even games like the Tony Hawk franchise took note of the open world design in later entries, and it's hard to say that GTA III didn't have a hand in inspiring any of the games I've mentioned above. It's simply a monumental title that must be played by anyone who's mature enough to handle its visceral, gritty violence. I'll be the first to admit that it's not perfect, but it's so, so close to it, and is easily my favorite game in the GTA series. I'd even dare say that if you give this game a bad review, you had no business playing video games in general. GTA III has so much great going for it, you'll easily overlook the bad if you simply just take the time to get used to it. Which sadly, a minority of people won't. Their loss. 10/10. Expand
  24. Apr 5, 2012
    play this absolutely epic truly the greatest playstation 2 game ohnestly endless fun great atmosphre. fun missions and for its time good graphics. if i had to complain it would be the character models a bit fuzzy
  25. Sep 28, 2013
    The second game after MGS 2 that started the 3D era. Playing this game really see how crime really dangerous is, so kids learn not to copy these actions or you might end up in jail. The game is exciting,
    good to kill civilians and things to do are superb. Classic.
  26. Jul 16, 2014
    I love all the characters in this game, I love Claude, I love almost everything in this game. GTA V and GTA IV don't have that feeling I have with older GTA games. If you see this game on sale, GET IT!!! Steam can have my $3.74 for this game :)
  27. Apr 21, 2014
    The Best in the Grand Theft Auto Series gorgeous graphics good story line awesome controls great characters i think this is the Citizen Kane of gaming in my opinion i recommend playing this awesome game

1. The end-all, be-all of console action games. Period...For me GTA3 is the best action game I have ever played on a console system and I highly recommend it to adults (the intended audience of this game) who know the difference between good and evil.
  2. An insanely deep game that offers a lot to do outside of the 70+ missions. If you understand that it's just a game and that these selfsame actions are not healthy in the real world, you'll enjoy a well-developed world disguised as a deviously fun game.
  3. Adding to the frustration is the fact that your targeting system is practically useless, and the vehicle physics model is annoyingly floaty. [Jan 2002, p.78]