Grandia Xtreme PlayStation 2

6.5

1. JonhS.
    Mar 2, 2003
    THis game sucks a big one, i mean come on i wasted money and iam left totally unsatisfied this is an RPG that tried and failed, its okay for begginers but I think if square and enix could team up they could create somthing that could rival the final fantasy saga.
  2. KevinW.
    Feb 25, 2003
    This game combines the advantages of many other rpgs out there. It is awesome!
  3. DaneP.
    Mar 2, 2003
    What can i say the battle system is awsome but the gameplay left me totally disapointed, I consider myself to be a hardcore fan and frankly i just wasted 39.99 on this game, i got it 2 days ago and me and my friend have already beat the thing. I am used to playin Final fantasy and other games that take a god awful amount of time to complete but always pay off. this game is a major What can i say the battle system is awsome but the gameplay left me totally disapointed, I consider myself to be a hardcore fan and frankly i just wasted 39.99 on this game, i got it 2 days ago and me and my friend have already beat the thing. I am used to playin Final fantasy and other games that take a god awful amount of time to complete but always pay off. this game is a major disapponitment, but if u like a hack and slash games this is the one for u. Expand
  4. F.C.
    Nov 16, 2002
    what a great game!
  5. DavidK.
    Dec 5, 2004
    Game play is pretty good, replayability is very possible, graphics are fairly good, dungeon/town views COMPLETELY suck, battle system very good but complicated. Voice acting - 3 year olds could of done better. Shoulda just left'em out altogether. IP guage - shoulda left it like Grandia II. Town/dungeon controls - shoulda left it like Grandia II. The whole egg/skill thing's a bit Game play is pretty good, replayability is very possible, graphics are fairly good, dungeon/town views COMPLETELY suck, battle system very good but complicated. Voice acting - 3 year olds could of done better. Shoulda just left'em out altogether. IP guage - shoulda left it like Grandia II. Town/dungeon controls - shoulda left it like Grandia II. The whole egg/skill thing's a bit too complicated at first, should of made it a bit easier. Item carrying load maxes out too early. Overall, it's rather decent. Expand
  6. Netrim
    Nov 23, 2002
    Disappointing really... RPG has always been known for it's substance but this tittle simply lacks that. The only plus point i can think off is mana egg and skills system. (maybe squ*re could use this?)
  7. DovS.
    Oct 19, 2002
    This is the Grandia battle system and nothing else. The battle system has been souped up with impressive multi-character combos but the world and storyline in which to battle is next to non-existent. It's only called an RPG because it has "Grandia" in the title.
  8. JustinM.
    Dec 16, 2005
    I remember very much looking forward to this game when I first heard of it. Eventually the time came when it finally came out and I bought it and put it in my PS2. It seemed pretty good at first then it slowly went down hill. I found out it was just a dungeon crawler and not like the previous Grandia's. One of the things I hated were the very repetitive dungeons and battles. The I remember very much looking forward to this game when I first heard of it. Eventually the time came when it finally came out and I bought it and put it in my PS2. It seemed pretty good at first then it slowly went down hill. I found out it was just a dungeon crawler and not like the previous Grandia's. One of the things I hated were the very repetitive dungeons and battles. The story I barely remember and I did beat it but it was average. Another one of the things I hated the most is there were only TWO towns and I love exploring all the towns in the previous games and talking to all the people. I rate this as a very average dull game. Expand
  9. Nov 26, 2013
    I love this game, but it suffers severely from (generally) poor voice acting and editing work, an uninspired story, and somewhat poor English script.

This story of this game literally benefits from being a dungeon crawler due to the large amount of combat and exploration between story scenes. The combat system is exceptional. It focuses on a fairly standard gauge that characters will move across until they hit their turn. Once you make your choice of action, your character will charge it. Basic attacks and defending/moving will begin immediately, while magic and most specials will have to charge for a short time. What sets this game apart is that getting hit will slow or sometimes even push back an enemy's action. In addition there is an effect called "cancel" that you can trigger with some specials and criticals (one of your two types of basic attacks) that will push an enemy charging an action back to waiting for their turn.

If you can ignore ten or twenty minutes of terrible plot for every two or so hours of exceptional exploration and classic but well aged gameplay I highly recommend this game. Otherwise stay very far away.

#84 Most Discussed PS2 Game of 2002
#63 Most Shared PS2 Game of 2002

1. There's not much plot development, and more importantly, the gameplay has numerous shortcomings.
  2. Play Magazine
    The game's battles are simply the best in the turn-based bunch...Oh, how I wish this game was more polished outside of the battles. [Nov 2002, p.85]
  3. High time demands put on the gamer by the "no saves in dungeons" design... won't bother hardcore fans but may tax the patience of the more casual fan.