8.7

1. Mar 26, 2011
    A great game for cheap and its a classic! So many characters, weapons and places to go. The story line is awesome! I recommend this game to people who like action, horror games.
  2. Oct 17, 2012
    My all time favourite game! Better graphics than the PC version and the co-op mode is good fun.
    Great fun FPS action and a driving story line with a science fiction feel.
  3. Feb 15, 2011
    Half-Life is fantastic on PC, but on the PS2 it fails in almost every way, the crappy controls really hinder the experience, but thankfully they give you the ability to customize your own control settings which removes some of the frustration, my other complaint is how everything in the game feels slippery making the plat forming sections incredibly terrible, and the random load timesHalf-Life is fantastic on PC, but on the PS2 it fails in almost every way, the crappy controls really hinder the experience, but thankfully they give you the ability to customize your own control settings which removes some of the frustration, my other complaint is how everything in the game feels slippery making the plat forming sections incredibly terrible, and the random load times you'll encounter just while walking around are extremely frustrating, while it's still the Half-Life experience the technical problems, and crappy design choices make this version terrible, I would highly recommend this on PC, but if you can get past the flaws the PS2 version should keep you entertained, but I would pass on this version. Collapse
    Mar 7, 2002
    It ROCKS!!! Never have I seen such devious violence, keep up the good work...awesome storyline also.
  5. Bob-oM.
    May 29, 2002
    Don't listen to that top Anon, he blows...the game is awesome!
  6. VyacheslavD.
    Jun 5, 2002
    Half-Life for PS2 - it is cool! It is also very interesting if you played it on PC before - they (developers) changed some game areas, added coop mod. Very good game ;-)
  7. ChrisG.
    Apr 2, 2003
    LONG LIVED HALF LIFE!!!
  8. SnellyAcE
    Jun 1, 2003
    I think this was an excellent game. Great story line, great effects, but the only thing lacking is the multiplayer, but overall a great game that'll have you hooked for hours.
  9. Louismccool
    Sep 12, 2004
    Long live the king!!!
  10. AdamC.
    Jan 11, 2002
    It's exactly like the pc version but faster and smoother.
  11. AndyP.
    Dec 9, 2002
    This game is GREAT good storyline, Good Control, Great Sound and graphics. The Bloody realism is a great effect, the AI on humans need some more realism when shot, but i hope more half-life titles will be coming on the ps2 (Counter-Strike)
  12. BenN.
    May 22, 2003
    For an old game it's great, i accualy stopped playing Enter The Matrix 4 this game, brilliant !
  13. ScottM.
    May 5, 2003
    The best game i have ever played. genuinley creepy and great storyline!
  14. Chris
    Oct 1, 2006
    Simply amazing. I've beaten it at least 10 times but I still cannot get enough of it. Long live Half-Life!
  15. SimonY.
    Jun 13, 2007
    Amazing realistic fps with survival horror elements. The far cry of years before.
  16. AnonymousMC
    Mar 14, 2009
    Half-Life is one of the best games ever made, and it deserves a place in every gamer's library. If you don't use PCs for gaming and you only have a PS2, this is the best way to experience the classic.
    The PS2 version of Half-Life is just as good as the PC version because of the addition of the expansion Decay, a 2-player co-op game that delivers quite a few good experiences, especially if you play it beside a good buddy.
    I recommend Half-Life to everyone who reads this. Half-Life 2 and the Episodes are great, too, but be sure to finish up the original beforehand.
  17. DuncanJ.
    Nov 16, 2001
    It is a very good game, and it has been upgraded both graphically and in gameplay.
  18. Oct 9, 2010
    This game is amazing still to this day on any platform you play it. I originally got it on the PS2 and I was blown away by it. No other FPS game after Goldeneye had the same effect this game had on me. If you have never played this, you must give it a shot some time if you can.
  19. Jun 28, 2012
    The best version of half-life is on the PS2 and while the game is dated compared to most other later PS2 releases I am still a massive fan and still play this classic from time to time, a very good game ported even better, pretty much true perfection.
  20. May 24, 2015
    I've heard, even before playing it, about Half-Life that was loved and considered a legend in video games. It took 16 years (since its release on PC), when I finally decided to buy it, and I had to dust off my old PS2, that still works, and I was able to play it during the first months of 2014. What they were saying was true.

Half-Life represented a real change, compared to the games of

Half-Life represented a real change, compared to the games of the same period like Doom or Quake. The rooms were much more spacious, structures and buildings were complex, Black Mesa seemed a real labyrinth. The attention devoted to the gameplay was impressive: the weapons were beautiful, original and different; from the mythical crowbar to TAU-cannon, from the crossbow to the hivehand. By the way, it may seem obvious today, but the actual operation to reload the weapon at the time was something really new. Fantastic was also the guided missile which could be directed in the direction you want. Another surprising thing was that the HEV suit, that talks and reacts according to the damage suffered, just like it is "alive". I was surprised by the chance to bring a companion for support, or the ability to utilize the rail-truck for travel. The enemies had a good artificial intelligence, and also to the lower level of difficulty, the game represented always a challenge. A lot of stuff for a game of 1998. What else to say? Half-Life has, both today and yesterday, an almost perfect gameplay.

Another important change that has upset the genre from its foundations was that with Half-Life, the fps genre passed from a simple context as the basis of the game, to a real plot. The plot is indeed incredible, and there has been devoted a lot of care. The final is a little strange, but I personally found it very beautiful and original. The peculiarity of Half-Life then is the fact that there are no cutscenes: everything is narrated and seen through the eyes of Gordon Freeman. A point of honor goes to the realization of sci-fi concept really well done, and to the creation of the world of Xen, Gordon Freeman, the G-Man, and the various alien races and the boss fights, most notably the one against Nihilanth.

The graphics engine GoldSrc has been used very efficiently, and the technical realization is excellent. Among other things, the PS2 version has some improvements in terms of graphics performance.

In conclusion, Half-Life is an essential masterpiece. A piece of history. The game that has been the watershed between the old fps and the new fps, revolutionizing a genre. If a lot of games exist today, it is thank to Half-Life.
  21. Feb 15, 2011

1. Damn good, and rivals just about any First Person Shooter on a console to date.
  2. Exceptionally well designed, plays on a greater scale and requires more thought than Volition’s pretty baby ["Red Faction"] and so comes highly recommended.
    A brilliant game from head to toe.