8.7

1. matrix1004
    Jan 21, 2008
    7.5. I thought this game wouldn't be much since it is now 6 years old, and the first of the series, but I was very suprised & impressed at how good it was. Beautiful graphics, fun characters, a cool world. I do have to mention that Jak might be the most stubborn double jumper I've ever played as, and that the camera is all but broken, but my main complaint though was the 7.5. I thought this game wouldn't be much since it is now 6 years old, and the first of the series, but I was very suprised & impressed at how good it was. Beautiful graphics, fun characters, a cool world. I do have to mention that Jak might be the most stubborn double jumper I've ever played as, and that the camera is all but broken, but my main complaint though was the misdirection. I spent hours upon hours trying to get things that couldn't be aquired until having beaten other stages and then back tracking. There is no way to know where to go and when. I could've finished the game in half the time if it wasn't for the confusing guidance and fetch quests. Expand
  2. bs
    Oct 9, 2002
    You guys suck!! exept the guy who gave the game a 6! JAk and dexter suck compared to banjo kazooie controller sucked some of the graphics sucked and the sound sucked! This game sucked a it took a long time to get to places!
    Such high ratings what does this company have on you all HEY Were are you taking me HELP HELP ME rgdfejmcrisgevkrbnsvscek4weh
    thats right this game rocked

thats right this game rocked

sencerly little boy
  3. LoobM.
    Mar 30, 2002
    This is a good platformer, but it is too short and too easy. I finished the game in one weekend, and I didn't even break a sweat. Absolutely No replay value. It gave it a 6 because I am rating it as a platformer. RENT don't buy.
  4. ZiggyStardust
    Aug 19, 2002
    I love the fact there isn't any loading required. it's a lot like rayman 2, except without the loading times. what i didn't like was the following: - major frame-rate slow down at times - it's way too short - jak's double jump isn't responsive sometimes (very frustrating) - the objectives are often boring - jak walks pretty slow but has to cover a lot of I love the fact there isn't any loading required. it's a lot like rayman 2, except without the loading times. what i didn't like was the following: - major frame-rate slow down at times - it's way too short - jak's double jump isn't responsive sometimes (very frustrating) - the objectives are often boring - jak walks pretty slow but has to cover a lot of ground - there aren't many bosses - jak's moves aren't well thought out - invisible walls keep jak in the playing area, and from jumping on a bunch of objects. Expand
  5. Uter
    Sep 18, 2003
    It's an average platformer with good graphics. Jak is a pretty lame character. Enemies respawn fast so killing them isn't rewarding.
  6. AndyM.
    Jul 31, 2006
    Kid friendly but extremely short.
  7. Feb 10, 2011
    this game is one of the few true platformers. it has many frusturating challenges but the plot is good and the gameplay keeps you playing. if this game had guns like 2 and 3. it would be an 8. but since it doesn't i give it a respectable 7.
  8. Nov 16, 2011
    This is a really enjoyable game and the first in a trilogy of epic games. However, over time, it's reply value sort of dwindles. You will want to play this game over and over at first after you get it, but after a while, there's really not much do after you beat the game.

However, it's still enjoyable and fun to play.
  9. Jan 15, 2014
    Funny game. Nothing more nothing less. It is nice to sit with her in the evenings but nothing more....................................................
  10. Jan 12, 2016
    [I played this game and reviewed it from a perspective of 2015, when I played it, which admittedly is unfair to the game but I would say more fair to prospective players.]

The game starts with your friend, Daxter, getting turned into a weasel like creature and you then go on a journey to turn him back. This means finding power cells to transport yourself around the world. The game instantly tells you that this is a collectathon game. You find powercells in different levels but you also collect orbs which can be exchanged for powercells. In order to progress to the next levels you must acquire a specific amount of powercells.

Characters, Enemies, fighting, and platforming are just alright. Characters are underdeveloped, enemies have little variance in terms of how you approach them, and your attacks consist of a lunge and a spin. None of this is bad really it's just not that great. The only real peeve I have is with the camera. It doesn't go through walls. So imagine there is a literal camera floating in the air behind your character. You can rotate the camera but if there is a wall behind you it will stop. Leaving you with the occasional bad camera angle. Going into somebody's hut is just a mess and then trying to find the door...man. But really this rarely affected the gameplay. Just something that gets on my nerves. In 2001, playing this alongside 2001 and earlier games this may have been an 8 or 9 but judging it today I don't think that's the case.
  11. May 25, 2015
    The only platformer where you have to constantly double jump to be even able to get somewhere. There are so many types of jumps and none of them can be performed in a simple manner. The main character is a really pathetic jumper. One of the worst platform games I have ever played with uninteresting characters, mediocre environments and bad jumping controls. Even Kao 2 is better than this game.
  12. Sep 15, 2010
    Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy is a great platform adventure game put together with slapstick comedy. Inappropriate you say, well you'll think twice as soon as you play this. From the creators that brought you Crash Bandicoot (Naughty Dog) comes a new tale about a young boy named Jak and his pal Daxter who are on there way to Misty Island to meet up with Samos, master of the GreenJak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy is a great platform adventure game put together with slapstick comedy. Inappropriate you say, well you'll think twice as soon as you play this. From the creators that brought you Crash Bandicoot (Naughty Dog) comes a new tale about a young boy named Jak and his pal Daxter who are on there way to Misty Island to meet up with Samos, master of the Green Eco. As soon as they arrive they come across two people named Gol and Maia who command an evil army of Lukers. Jak and Daxter attempt to leave but are attacked by one of the Lukers, Jak manages to destroy the creature with a barrel of Eco, but Jak gets knocked back and accidently bumps Daxter into a pool of Dark Eco which turns him into a orange ottsel (a sort of otter or weasel). Worried and frightened they finally meet up with Samos who explains that only the Sage of Dark Eco can change Daxter back. It's up to Jak and his new transformed pal Daxter to defeat the Lukers and stop Gol and Maia before they can flood the world with Dark Eco. During your journey you will be helped by Samos and his daughter Keira a mechanical engineer (and love interest of Jak) who builds machines of transport to take you to the sage of Dark Eco. Along the way she requires you to find Power Cells in order to powerup her machines. You play as Jak in the game and Daxter assists you with some hints to help you out. You can attack by pressing the square button for a power puch and the circle button for a spin, also there are Eco powers you can use as well. Blue Eco makes you speed up and jump high into the air to reach those really high ledges and Orange Eco gives you the power to shoot enemies. There are puzzles to be solved, tasks to be completed and challenges to accomplish throughout the game. In order to advance further you need to collect as many Power Cells as possible which are not easy to find. There are 101 to find in total. These are found by defeating enemies, accomplishing tasks set by friends on the islands, trading Precursor Orbs and completing puzzles. The journey is a sort of a tunnel like in the Crash series, from one Island to another but it is more free roaming and there are a number of tasks to complete. Every time you collect one Jak and Daxter will do a dance (like the Crash dance in Crash Bandicoot) which is hillarious. There are some great vehicles you ride which can run over water and lava. Jak and Daxter definitely make a great duo together and Daxter is my favourite and funniest in the game. For those who don't like games mixed with comedy and slapstick should at least give Jak and Daxter a second chance and you may think twice. There are a few problems though in the game. Jak doesn't really have a lot of attack moves and you can't defend yourself, so if there are hundreds at you at once your screwed. Jumping is a real issue at times as well, you can't jump a great leap even by double jumping. Checkpoints are rare and you don't actually know when you've reached a checkpoint until you die, if you do then you'll start back at that checkpoint and you will have to go through all what you did before. Jak is the only playable character in the game, I would have liked it more if you could also play as Daxter. Despite this Jak and Daxter is a great platform warm up for the PS2 and you will have hours of fun. Collapse

#7 Most Discussed PS2 Game of 2001
#16 Most Shared PS2 Game of 2001

One of the most thrilling games to hit PS2 since its launch.
  2. From the way the game renders an entire world that you can explore from one end to the next without a single loading screen, to animation that literally trounces anything ever seen in any videogame, to game design that keeps things interesting despite being what some would call “just a fetch quest,” this is a perfect example of the next generation in videogames.
    Simply amazing.