• Publisher:
  • Release Date:
K-1 World Grand Prix Image
Metascore
67

Mixed or average reviews - based on 24 Critics What's this?

User Score
8.8

Generally favorable reviews- based on 6 Ratings

Your Score
0 out of 10
Rate this:
  • 10
  • 9
  • 8
  • 7
  • 6
  • 5
  • 4
  • 3
  • 2
  • 1
  • 0
  • 0
  • Summary: The new breed of sport fighting games has entered the ring. K-1 World Grand Prix combines the tactical barrage of boxing with the powerful ferocity of no-holds-barred fighting to deliver the ultimate sport fighting experience. With greater depth, more strategy and the fiercest knockoutsThe new breed of sport fighting games has entered the ring. K-1 World Grand Prix combines the tactical barrage of boxing with the powerful ferocity of no-holds-barred fighting to deliver the ultimate sport fighting experience. With greater depth, more strategy and the fiercest knockouts around, K-1 World Grand Prix puts all other sport fighting games on the canvas!Over 20 real K-1 fighters, each with signature moves & combos. Body-region-specific damage allows for tactical weakening the opponent. Endless offensive and defensive moves to employ. 7 game modes including Grand Prix, Trial, Revival & Head-to-head. [Konami] Expand
Score distribution:
  1. Positive: 9 out of 24
  2. Negative: 4 out of 24
  1. It's not a button masher. Energy and strength must be conserved. The key to good gameplay is looking for and finding openings. Taking advantage of your opponent's weakness is the strategy that will separate the men from the boys.
  2. 80
    The graphic and sound departments could have used just as much depth. Instead, the visuals are reminiscent of how the first-generation PS2 games look—not refined with average detail.
  3. With a solid control scheme, good presentation, and a well-balanced roster of fighters, Konami's K-1 is an excellent way to launch the franchise. [Aug 2003, p.26]
  4. 68
    It takes a fan to look past K-1's visual and technical shortcomings to find the rewarding game within.
  5. Its graphics are merely average and the fighting is uninspired. [July 2003, p.107]
  6. 60
    The action comes up a little short when it comes to the visceral sense of combat. The game is devoid of blood, which can either be good or bad depending on your taste in such things. The lack of the red stuff is just one example of how the game comes across as overly sanitized and not quite as brutal as it could be.
  7. It's just not hard enough. I beat the Grand Prix mode in about an hour and a half on my first try. I completed Champion's Revolution in the same time without losing one fight. I beat 21 straight opponents in my first shot at the Ironman endurance mode.

See all 24 Critic Reviews

Score distribution:
  1. Positive: 3 out of 4
  2. Negative: 0 out of 4
  1. Ty
    Jan 11, 2005
    10
    Real good game....but could be much better.
  2. RJBlake
    Sep 7, 2003
    10
    This game is wicked but they should of put more fighters in it like jet rufus and chong lee.
  3. TyrallS.
    Aug 7, 2003
    8
    I was always a sucker for fighting games; This K-1 World Grand Prix would seem excellent, I can't wait to play this myself.
  4. Marky
    Jul 26, 2003
    5
    I agree 95% with the Game Revolution review. for the other 5%: being an MMA fan myself, i find K-1 only amusing because i try to simulate realI agree 95% with the Game Revolution review. for the other 5%: being an MMA fan myself, i find K-1 only amusing because i try to simulate real K-1 bouts and boxing-style matches, jabbing after jab, setting up for KO moves such as Mirko Cro-Cop's sledgehammer left foot into the jaw of an opponents face. but thats as exciting as it can get. for amateurs, after exchanging seemingly harmless blows would some lucky big action shots come in. In essence, K-1 is more a mental game, more than any. Definately NOT a button masher like most arcade games. So for those who appeal to the mental strategy of boxing and such (setting up for the big blows, working the opponent), K-1 deserves a look - just as long as u can get used to the extremely precise controls. Expand