Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater PlayStation 2

• Release Date: Nov 17, 2004
  • Also On: 3DS
9.3

1. Apr 23, 2013
    I can tell the game is vastly improved on earlier MGSs, the environment, the camouflage system etc.etc. I really want to enjoy it, but the camera system just does not work or suit the game. Usually looking down from a bird's eye view, you can only see a small area of the environment, you can only pan the camera a little way and this is the most frustrating, decrepit part of the game.I can tell the game is vastly improved on earlier MGSs, the environment, the camouflage system etc.etc. I really want to enjoy it, but the camera system just does not work or suit the game. Usually looking down from a bird's eye view, you can only see a small area of the environment, you can only pan the camera a little way and this is the most frustrating, decrepit part of the game. Everything is off the camera! Out of sight! and the only way to get some environmental awareness is to use the awkward first person view.

In previous titles this camera system was fine or acceptable and the reason it worked was because you had a radar/map, that gave you awareness of everything off the camera, making it less frustrating. In Snake Eater you don't have anything as useful as that and it's something Kojima failed to to spot or resolve to the games detriment.

But you know what, after getting spotted on multiple occasions due to the camera, I never finished Snake Eater. I got fed up, ditched it and bought 'Subsistence'. I can confirm that the game is awesome. With the full 3D camera movements I can actually see what's up ahead! And I can actually appreciate how attractive the game is! Dear lord! If only Kojima could have done this sooner. But sadly, the camera makes Snake Eater obsolete.
  2. Jub
    Mar 7, 2015
    *My review is for the HD collection version but as that is a bundled game I'll write it here in stead.*

As a lot of people have already said: the controls are so horrible that I gave up with trying to play this game properly. I love sneaking games and really wanted to enjoy this also but I couldn't. I literally spent hours at the start trying to figure out how to interact with the

I literally spent hours at the start trying to figure out how to interact with the cover. The camera interaction, inverting controls, and dodgy object clipping simply ruined the experience for me. Everyone around me is saying "Snake, remember this is a sneaking mission". I know this, I'm trying my darndest to hide. It's just that I like to stand up when my elbow clips a tree and I also enjoy running out from cover because the controls have inverted on me. I honestly don't think this aspect could have been worse if they tried.

Something else that bugs me is Hideo Kojima's obsession with fan service. A little is fine and can actually improve the experience especially when it's subtle. Half naked women jumping out every 5 minutes and throwing themselves over Snake destroys all immersion for me, but then again, I'm 30 years old and not an adolescent pervert.

The game does look really nice and the character model interactions are also very good e.g. the punching, carrying bodies and alike.

A great story just awful game play.
  3. SeanQ.
    Sep 8, 2005
    This was my first experience with any of the Metal Gear series. I was looking forward to it because I had heard so many good things about this legendary series, but I was greatly disappointed. It tries to be a Tom Clancy/Bond movie and video game epic, but it was just incredibly frustrating to me. The camera angle was fixed and made navigating around each map a total chore. The random This was my first experience with any of the Metal Gear series. I was looking forward to it because I had heard so many good things about this legendary series, but I was greatly disappointed. It tries to be a Tom Clancy/Bond movie and video game epic, but it was just incredibly frustrating to me. The camera angle was fixed and made navigating around each map a total chore. The random little sneak peaks of female characters in compromising positions served no purpose except to maybe try and get the players all hot and bothered--but just distracted from the seriousness and sense of urgency that the rest of the game seemed to try and impart. Administering first aid was a pointless chore. Eating was a pointless chore. And when I wasn't doing those things, I was playing dress up with Snake and watching a little camoflauge percentage indicator in the corner of the screen. From what I could gather of the plot, it was completely linear. I felt like I was on rails. Nothing was fun. Hiding from AI is not exciting. I couldn't care less how many different ways there to slit a guys throat. And I was forced to wade through over an hour of the crappiest attempt at a video game movie I've ever seen to play this? Worst voice acting ever. I probably would have loved it for the kitsch value, but when you have to slog through so much of it, and press the x button every five or ten minutes just to get through it, you start to wonder who the hell thinks he's such a hotshot videogame producer that he seriously thinks people will buy into this crap. And it seems like everyone has! I just don't get it. I wanted to love this game. I wanted to play something different and new, but there was absolutely no flow. Considering how groundbreaking and dazzling I had heard this game was, I am mystified that I could never even get off the ground with it. I am just glad that it was a rental and that Snake fans seem happy with it. Unless MGS 4 changes the camera, there's no way I'll be playing it. And if Hideo Kojima wants to subject me to another utterly pretentious take on directing a screenplay, forget about it. I don't play chores, I play video games. Expand
  4. whatashame
    Mar 20, 2004
    Forty somthing votes, and everyone of you have hardly even seen the game, i would like to be the first to say that, EACH AND EVERY ONE OF YOU ARE LOSERS. Rate the game when you get it and have played it, you bunch of game whores. Damn.
    Not even the REAL CRITICS said anything about the game yet, but you Life-less virgins just have to say how much you can't wait for it.
    Why doesn?t
    Why doesn?t Metacritic ban these losers from posting.. And my score goes to the people that voted here before the game came out(or seen it, or PLAYED IT, or bought it), and not to metal gear itself..
  5. IvanDrago
    Jun 27, 2004
    Ill probably love this game when it comes out, because I love all of the others. But because its NOT out and I dont know, for now im giving it a big fat zero to drop the score because of all the fanboys voting prematurely. Now this user score is not accurate thanks to them.
  6. JohnS.
    Oct 13, 2005
    This is a movie not a game.
  7. zeekpeek
    Feb 27, 2004
    this game is really gay. i beat it in 10 minutes it is so easy. The people that make medal gear solid dont no how to make games .they need to make there games a tid bit harder peek rules. also everybody thinks this game is so SWEET! because u have a gun , guns are for idiots and people that dont no how to fight ,thats all i got to say it about this game SUCKS!
  8. RobR.
    Nov 8, 2005
    Bloated and tedious.
  9. ChrisP.
    Feb 15, 2005
    This game is only good when viewed as a comedy. The horrible story (the shagohod is useless when ICBMs exist, which someone in game says that they do) is just bad enough to be funny. The game punishes you way too much for getting caught, sometimes taking up to five minutes of hiding in one place before he guards go back to what they were doing. And, to top it all off, Snake can take This game is only good when viewed as a comedy. The horrible story (the shagohod is useless when ICBMs exist, which someone in game says that they do) is just bad enough to be funny. The game punishes you way too much for getting caught, sometimes taking up to five minutes of hiding in one place before he guards go back to what they were doing. And, to top it all off, Snake can take buttloads of damage. Unlike previous instalments where a few enemy shots could take him down, snake can take bullets left and right without even a flinch. If one does decide to heal, hit star and wait for it...wait for it...the menu finally pops up. It is ridiculous. The game comes down to being just a standard shooter, because one can easily run through guns ablazin and have no trouble with it at all. Its just terrible. Collapse
  10. Ryencoke
    Feb 16, 2005
    This is possibly the worst series of games I have ever played. They're all so pointless. Gameplay was awful. Controls were just horrid. Storry was lame. AND HE CAN'T SWIM. He can walk up to people slit their throat, yet he can't swim? What a joke. Stick to games that are good like Splinter Cell. Konami is a mockery of a company.
  11. FatBob
    Aug 18, 2006
    They should make it a movie not a game as its again almost nothing but cutscenes. Awesome as they look, I'd rather play a game than watch it.
  12. rambo
    Dec 19, 2007
    I was a fan of Metal Gear Solid since MGS1 get out, i liked it so much for its originality and others, his sequel MGS2 was good too but the third title MGS3 is so bad, i dunno we are talkin about the same game. The Camera is the Worst thing in this game. I cannot recommend this game to anyone, just wait for MGS4 which i hopi will be better than this suckin game
  13. Sep 25, 2015
    I start up the game and encounter my first enemy. I remember I had a tranq-pistol and a knife. I tranquilized the enemy, and didn't want him waking up and compromising my mission, so I used the knife to stab him. After about a dozen or so stabs, my victim gets up. I then turned off my console.

#2 Most Discussed PS2 Game of 2004
#3 Most Shared PS2 Game of 2004

1. netjak
    When all is said and done, Snake Eater achieves what no other game can on such a level: complete immersion into an action-driven interactive movie.
  2. Gaming Target
    Is Metal Gear Solid 3 the best game of the year? Yes. Is Metal Gear Solid 3 the best in its series? No.
  3. There has never been, and will not be for a long time a more convincing and immersive game released.