9.0

1. Mar 14, 2011
    Ratchet Gladiator is a different kind of Ratchet and Clank game as it seems to be more action orientated, resembles a third person shooter action game than the previous Ratchet and Clank games. The game isn't as open as the previous Ratchet games and you still explore planets, complete objectives and blow the living daylights out of enemies with ridiculous and well designed weapons whichRatchet Gladiator is a different kind of Ratchet and Clank game as it seems to be more action orientated, resembles a third person shooter action game than the previous Ratchet and Clank games. The game isn't as open as the previous Ratchet games and you still explore planets, complete objectives and blow the living daylights out of enemies with ridiculous and well designed weapons which just like the last 2 games, upgrade as you use them. Weapon customisation is taken further with the inclusion of mods which I think are fun to experiment with. You can add mods like a lava mod - which leaves hot lava spewing on the floor after the weapon has made impact with an enemy or the ground - an electric mod that shocks any enemy every time you hit them with the modified weapon and more. The graphics are sharp and vivid just like the original Ratchet games and the character models are smooth and look right for a Ratchet game. The environments that you battle through in this game are nicely rendered but maybe not as huge as the previous games environments. The structure of the game is like I said earlier is different from the previous games: Ratchet has been captured by the villainous Gleeman Vox and he forces Ratchet to compete in a violent sport known as Dreadzone. You travel around the galaxy and compete in challenges and using Ratchets arsenal, you shoot your way through levels and completing tasks like deactivating a shield generator by shutting down nodes, using a landstalker to demolish your foes and basically defeating other Dreadzone competitors (boss battles). There are still platform elements in this game: Ratchet can use his slingshot to swing over wide gaps and at some points you have to navigate through obstacles. Oh yes, Ratchet can still jump as well! The weapons are really fun to use and when fired, they fire out some vibrant effects like the explosions from the grenades fired from the B6-Obliterator. As with all Ratchet and Clank games, there is no stealth element integrated into the game play, so you can pretty much approach any situation with a gun-ho attitude. The sound effects are great (I and as with all Ratchet games, the voice acting is well done. The games structure (progression) deviates from the previous games which can either mean a good thing for people who want a different Ratchet game or a bad thing who wants a Ratchet game with the same game play structure. It's also quite sad that Clank - even though he makes an appearance - is not a playable character. It would have been nice to have a few Clank sections to mix up the game play. As I said before, the levels are linear and there's no reason to explore them. A good thing for people who are fans of the action/third person shooter element in Ratchet games is that the weapon customisation has been expanded. Alpha mods are automatically added to your weapons the more you use them like increased rate of fire and the omega mods are bought from weapon vendors. Omega Mods can make your weapons more devastating. You can modify them to spew out lava when they come into contact with an enemy or add an acid mod so any enemy shot at will take continuous damage for a few seconds while the acid eats away at their flesh (or mechanical parts!). The combat in general is frantic and it is a lot of fun experimenting with the weapons and mods at your disposal. I like the controls as well and instead of locking onto your enemies to shoot them, you can manually aim your crosshairs and strafe freely instead of holding down a button. Like the previous 3 games, there isn't much strategy in beating the bosses; you just go all gun-ho on them. I like the newly integrated difficulty system. Basically, you can choose from 4 difficulty settings, unlike the previous games where you just played the game on one difficulty setting. The higher the difficulty, the more damage Ratchet takes from enemy fire. This new addition to the series means that casual gamers can get into the game without getting too frustrated and hardcore gamers can present themselves with a challenge if they want. The character design is just as imaginative as in previous Ratchet games and the main antagonist, Gleeman Vox is a mad and cruel being but I prefer the previous games antagonist, Dr Nefarious. A familiar face makes a hilarious cameo at the end of the game and is definitely worth waiting until the credits end. Ratchet: Gladiator presents gamers with a darker tone Ratchet game and some Ratchet fans may not like the fact that it's primarily third person shooter. However, I love third person shooters and Ratchet: Gladiator is a fine example of an action game. Collapse
  2. Nov 7, 2011
    The comedy here is the best in the series not that many people would agree with me. The dark themes and arena like gameplay was fun not that I would ever like a R&C like this again but still it was a somewhat successful experiment so it deserves an 8.
  3. Jun 17, 2011
    All right I will say this it was the first ps2 game I played till the end. This is because of the **** great story and it was just all around fun. I really liked the weapon selection because all of them work great for their uses. I love this game!
  4. Apr 11, 2011
    If it weren't for the game's generic gameplay and lack of identity, Deadlocked would've been a blast. However, its 3rd person controls are impressive, the visuals are great, and as usual, Ratchet's arsenal kicks ass.
  5. Apr 6, 2012
    The game is a lot different from the original three games. It's no longer a platformer but a shooter. The game still has all the unique upgrade elements to it adding to the replay value. Over all I think the game wasn't as good as the original three games but it still wasn't bad. I still really enjoyed playing it.
  6. Oct 7, 2011
    Ratchet: Deadlocked is simply my favourite game on PS2. It featured a great story, missions, upgrades and gameplay. Targeting enemies is easy and the Co-op play was a sweat.
    All and all you will not regret buying this game.
  7. Sep 24, 2012
    i love this game. great graphics, controls, even the multiplayer was improved from the previous game. But i felt there wasn't much freedom in the story mode. still fun though.
  8. Sep 21, 2012
    I actually don´t own the game I asked a friend to borrow it and he said yes thank GOD he said yes because I heard that the game was coming to PS3 and I wanted to see if it was worth the expectation and OMG it´s almost as good as Crack in Time but if 10/10 was my review to Crack in Time this will be another game that you play when you feeling down and you want a distractionI actually don´t own the game I asked a friend to borrow it and he said yes thank GOD he said yes because I heard that the game was coming to PS3 and I wanted to see if it was worth the expectation and OMG it´s almost as good as Crack in Time but if 10/10 was my review to Crack in Time this will be another game that you play when you feeling down and you want a distraction simply amazing!10/10 Expand
  9. Apr 24, 2013
    Just simply the greatest game I have ever played for PS2, also the only game (besides Borderlands 2 that i gave been willing to play through twice. With a plethora of upgrades, jokes, and violence its just... perfect.
  10. Nov 7, 2013
    It's probably a little late to write this review, but who gives a f**k. This game and all the Ratchet and Clank games were my childhood. This game is so great that I played it again this very day.
  11. Feb 24, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. this game was very good. the downpart is that they removed the platforming elements of the previous games, you cant swim at all and you cant glide but the guns, the vehicles and the action are excellent and the multiplayer is down right fun and makes for a great action shooter game Expand
  12. Nov 27, 2014
    Amazing, just amazing. The story mode is fun, i love the multiplayer mode, and the jokes are funny! I love the graphics and gameplay. the battles are crazy and missions are the best. This is better than ratchet and clank games, because there not as good.
  13. Mar 14, 2011

1. It just doesn't quite live up to the standards set up by its predecessors. [Dec 2005, p.90]
  2. It's every bit as enjoyable as you would hope, too. Of course, if you are into deathmatching, Ratchet's online presence once again packs a wallop. [Nov 2005, p.160]
  3. There's a sense that Insomniac wanted to go out with a quick, clean fourth installment without too much hassle and strain. [Nov p.78]