8.9

1. Aug 11, 2014
    This is THE best action/horror game I have ever played and one of my all time favorites.
    The feature that makes it so special and unique is it's brilliant and memorable atmosphere which makes you really identify with the main character. The switch between action/horror/relief/tension building is perfectly done and leaves you in awe. I still play and enjoy this game today, when the
    nostalgia feeling hits me. Expand
  2. Jul 25, 2014
    Best Resident Evil. I've ended on the Wii, PS2, and Xbox 360 7 times. Leon is beast. Those kicks he does are really impressive. There are so many unforgettable characters even from the previous games. They really out done themselves.
  3. Jun 3, 2014
    Simply put, One of the best games EVER made. If u cant enjoy this, u seriously need help. To this date i enjoy the game EVERY **** time i play it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  4. May 18, 2014
    This may not be the greatest survival horror game in history but it is the hybrid of action and horror with a over the top shoulder camera angle for better accuracy for the first time in the history of the franchise. But the horror tension is mostly removed comparing it to the trilogy of pure horror; but it showed some of the best graphics of the year, a better camera angle despite the lack of horror, customizable weapons, unique enemies and great acting. And you could choose limited ammunition if you don't customize your weapons making the game more difficult than usual. The downside of the game is ASHLEY because she is basically useless; so useless that LEON did not kiss on the end of the game. But overall the game was outstanding with it's improvements except for the survival horror aspect but it became one of my favorites action and horror themed game ever. Expand
  5. May 1, 2014
    This game is the best game in the series, besides that was the beginning of a gender change in Resident Evil. The gameplay is awesome and the graphics too, deserves perfect score.
  6. Apr 28, 2014
    This game is beyond amazing. I've replayed and beat this game over 20 times. This game is very scary and intense. With new game play mechanics we didn't see in the previous installments, it was such a surprise. Even though this game didn't offer the boring slow zombies, it did offer amazing and scary new enemies. Very happy I've played this game during my childhood.
  7. Feb 27, 2014
    This game has virtually nothing wrong with it. From the moment I started playing it hooked on to me and never let go, the game in my opinion is a perfect blend of action and horror which has never been successfully replicated since. In my mind, it's a masterpiece.
  8. Feb 18, 2014
    Along with Silent Hill 2, this is THE Survival Horror game. It's amazing, innovative, scary. Controls are amazing, graphics are good. The only downside is probably "LEON! LEON!". But that is nothing compared to the rest of the game.
  9. Jan 7, 2014
    A game that change the traditional style of his ancestors, to make a game that had awkward cameras and clumsy controls to another completely different, clearly frame trend to another resident evils
  10. Dec 19, 2013
    One of the best horror, I will remember this game forever, she spent a lot of time, but Resident Evil 5 I like more, be sure to play this game if you have not played
  11. Nov 28, 2013
    This game is creepy. The first and the best the "new" Resident Evil game, you are taken to a cult village in Spain to rescue the presidents daughter. The more you discover about the cult and your various encounters with the villagers (who have parasites called Las Plagas in their head) make you nervous to play this game.i. 2004 these graphics were insane and still hold up today. Plus, good voice acting in this franchise is a change and Leon actually sounds believable. The gameplay is smooth and precise, for example it is hard to get a direct shot without the gun moving because it takes in real life factors like breathing. Now people complain it lost its survival horror roots with this game (and I agree the series eventually did) but if you play that opening village scene without terror (especially when chainsaw man comes out) you are probably not human. So go on, prepared to get scared and return to a time of good Resident Evil games, and the only good Resident Evil game that has a good story, good gameplay, and good graphics. It's not the original GameCube version but in some aspects the PS2 version is better. So play it, just bring an extra pair of pants. Expand
  12. Oct 9, 2013
    An excellent combination of survival horror and third-person shooter action, RE4 delivers in all aspects of a near-perfect and engaging game. As others come and go, Resident Evil 4 will be remembered as a true classic.
  13. Sep 19, 2013
    Resident Evil 4 was the best game on the PS2. It's graphics were incredible. The replay-ability of RE4 is very high, due to the unlockables and New Game I loved the inventory, which let you hold a lot of items and let you organize them to your liking. There are a great deal of weapons you could buy, depending on your play style. Resident Evil 4 professional mode gives you a certain level of challenge without it being frustrating and unfair. With there now being HD releases on Xbox 360 and PS3, there is no reason not to own this wonderful game. Expand
  14. Aug 12, 2013
    This is the Resident Evil game that proved the franchise could be reinvented and reinvigorated without even having to needlessly throw zombies onto the screen. The new enemies were just as merciless, brutal, and horrible to face, and it worked well. Add in major adjustments to controls, camera, and the atmosphere- the moodier the better it seems, and you've got quite the winning formula.
  15. Jul 9, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is the best game on all erath.I played in this game on ps2 pc xbox 360 and on pc again and again. this game have all of need great game graphic (on 2005) gameplay story and music Expand
  16. Jun 29, 2013
    i haven't played the previous resident evil games and i started with this one and i believe that this game mad the resident evil series what it is today cause this game is perfect in every thing survival horror yep you'll find that action yep you'll find that bad ass bosses and moments yes all that is in here with awesome controls and gameplay with a great story makes this game perfect
  17. Jun 26, 2013
    este juego,fue mi favorito con buena trama E historia,drama y accion,graficos buenisimos,muy buen juego merecible de un 10 y 100 para los criticos,yo lo recomiendo.
  18. Jun 17, 2013
    By far, the best game in the saga and one of the best games of the world. The story may be a bit... boring (let's keep it like that), but smashing zombie brains and fighting weird-looking monsters has never been that fun. It's just a masterpiece. It's such a shame that the series is not as good as this game due to RE:6 or RE: ORC (I should have imagined that it wouldn't be a good game when I saw the title's first letter.) Expand
  19. Jun 11, 2013
    One of the best PS2's era game ever. Wonderful game, spectacular visuals, amazing characters, great weapons and enemies, the scenarios are dark and gritty, something expected from a RE game.
  20. Jun 6, 2013
    It may possess the over the top bad dialogue and storytelling famous in RE, but this only serves to add to the games unique charm. The gameplay is really great, it's got lots of cool elements like the Attache system for limited storage and buying upgrades from a mysterious and hilarious "merchant" It is a scary game no doubt, when you encounter re-generators for example, a horrifying nearly unkillable zombie you're likely to go into panic mode. The visual design is all top notch from the locations to the very detailed character models. It can go from very actiony over the top and fast paced to eery and unsettling in a matter of minutes. It's got lots of awesome unlockable modes and costumes/guns giving it great replayability. It's uniquely awesome Expand
  21. May 29, 2013
    Definitely the best RE game to exist! It's exciting, suspenseful, and scary as h**l! Just wish all the newer RE games wouldv'e followed the same formula this one had.
  22. May 17, 2013
    Otimo jogo da série e mantém o survival horror. Foi muito brilhante criar um jogo com botoes de ações para executar, especialmente os chutes. e ficaria muito melhor se aumenta-se mas o clima sombrio dos cenarios e os inimigos, mais efeito de som ao entrar em um lugar vazio.
  23. May 11, 2013
    Simply best game ever!!! still playing this in 2013 and never get bored of playing. I think so new RE games and not as good as this game. Actually i have never counted how many times i have played this game. Its no 1 in my list
  24. May 8, 2013
    Capcom clearly was aiming in a wider public when they made Resident Evil 4.
    Its almost perfect blending of survival horror and action, packed with an addictive gameplay, great story and really beautiful visuals aren't enough to make it the best Resident Evil ever made, but even diehard fans of the series can enjoy it as much as the casual gamer will and i highly recommend it to both.
  25. May 5, 2013
    Simply Put- Resident Evil 4 is one of the greatest games ever made. This is a masterpiece. The tempo, the combat, the scares, the gameplay, hell even the story is cheezly good. This game is how action horror games should be made. The level of impact this game has had on the game industry- Gears of War, L4D, and every other over the should 3rd person shooter this gen. And the boss fights.... OMG. These fights are so amazing- Del Lago, El Gigante, Bella Sisters, Straddler, Verdugo and of course the greatest boss fight in the history of the series. The one. The only. Krauser. These moments are amazingly awesome. This game is amazingly awesome. Play it. Expand
  26. May 1, 2013
    Of all the games I have ever owned, this game has sucked the most hours out of me. Love this game and everybody should own it. Graphics, story, and gameplay are the best on the PS2.
  27. Apr 26, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. First off, I played through this game AT LEAST 5 times. I had just as much fun the first time as I did the fifth time.

Resident Evil 4 is not too horrifying, except one level towards the end. This is where you fight dark blue dagger-toothed monster things that cannot be killed, unless you shoot 3 of the parasites on their back. You can cripple them by shooting their legs off, but they regenerate and grow back. (Thus, the reason they are called regenerators.)

Enough rambling. The game as a whole has decent-okay combat. There are around 12-15 guns you can buy, not counting the unlockable ones that you can get after beating the game.

The small amount of people who gave this game poor reviews don't seem to have played the game before. There is, in fact other modes than story mode. Assignment Ada, and Missionaries. Missionaries is just a free-play mode where countless hordes of zombies are hurled at you until your chopper arrives. Pretty fun to do after you beat the game and don't feel like playing it again. Assignment Ada isn't that fun, to be frankly honest. Its just replaying a mission as a woman named Ada, except its 500 times harder. The story is pretty long, and there are multiple paths that you are able to take during the game.

The enemies you face consist of the generic zombie, (a spanish farmer that tries to kill you with pitchforks and knives.) cult group members, (pale people in black cloaks that try to strangle you), enemies with wolverine-like claws that have their eyes stitched shut, and scary-ass chainsaw men/women with bags over their heads. They actually might be scarier than the regnerators I talked about earier.

All in all, this is a GREAT game. I hope this review helped. :D
  28. Apr 17, 2013
    this is what a game should be like... re4 blew me away and continues to... the characters and storyline are completely addictive. overall one of the best games ive played
  29. Apr 8, 2013
    The game is flawless and very well made! i had so much fun playing it and is one of the best games ive played on ps2. Good graphics ,amazing weapons and is quite thrilling. Mercenaries was freaky and it almost made my pants.
  30. Mar 29, 2013
    simply the best survival horror game of all time no other company even capcom itself can make a better game. the game uses if everything to keep the player feel desperate of surviving. the story, the characters, the graphic, the sound.. etc. everything in it is awesome. a game that define survival horror with an RPJ!.
  31. Oct 15, 2012
    The pinnacle of the series. A masterpiece. The PS2 version of "Resident Evil 4" is one of the console's greatest games. Not just a simple port, Sony's cover of the GameCube classic includes exclusive weapons, costumes and Ada Wong missions. This is a revolutionary sequel that turned the series on its head by completely changing the format. An action game by heart, RE 4 still manages to churn out major scares with its extremely tense gameplay. In this installment, Leon S. Kennedy (of RE 2) has been charged with finding the President's missing daughter somewhere in Spain. He eventually discovers that the region has been overrun by people infected by a biological weapon known as Las Palagas. Much shooting ensues. "Resident Evil 4" is a brilliant game that marries the action genre with the survival horror aspect of the franchise. Released a year before "Gears of War", RE4 set the standard of third-person action games with its over-the-shoulder camera view and quick time events. The game itself is about a 20 hour adventure and not one minute is wasted with boring, mundane tasks. Brain-teasing puzzles of the series' past return and the action has been amped up completely. It's a great feeling to knock a zombie down by shooting at its knees only to line up a head shot. RE 4 offers plenty of various firearms, all which can be upgraded at scattered merchant shops. The GameCube version of "Resident Evil 4" might contain sharper visuals, but the PS2 version makes up for it with all of the extra content. It can almost be labeled as a "Director's Cut". This was probably the best game of 2005 and the PS2 arguably has the definitive version of it. Collapse

1. Not playing through it from beginning to end would be missing out on a major milestone in gaming history, not to mention a hell of a lot of fun. [Dec 2005, p.70]
  2. Simply put, Resident Evil 4 is a landmark video game, no matter what system you play it on... Truly brilliant. [Nov 2005, p.158]
  3. Capcom turned the venerable but stagnant series around with Evil 4 [Nov p.72]