Road Trip PlayStation 2

9.0

1. Sep 14, 2010
    Road Trip Adventure (PAL) is a very nice game to play. The world in Road Trip Adventure is only inhabited by cars which is cool. The main goal is to become the next president of the car world by racing in various races across different areas of the world. Road Trip Adventure is huge and I mean huge: There are towns to visit and you can talk to some of the locals and they may give you a jobRoad Trip Adventure (PAL) is a very nice game to play. The world in Road Trip Adventure is only inhabited by cars which is cool. The main goal is to become the next president of the car world by racing in various races across different areas of the world. Road Trip Adventure is huge and I mean huge: There are towns to visit and you can talk to some of the locals and they may give you a job to do like collect objects scattered across the huge landscape, participate in races and even play some interesting mini games like Football, Golf or Roulette! (Football is the best!) There are a variety of skins to unlock to use which are basically models of real life cars like the Porsche 911 and a Ford GT40 which are nice but these skins don't boost performance. There are some shops that you can visit that enable you to tune your car with, like engines and tyres. The music is OK but it can be annoying sometimes and no matter what car skin you have on or engine installed, the car engine sounds are the same and it can get on your nerves. This review doesn't cover most of the things you can do in the Road Trip Adventure world so go buy it! Expand
  2. Oct 13, 2011
    This game is the racing game of all time. I think everything makes this game amazing. I have played over 200 hours of this game and i haven't gotten bored of it. I've collected all 100 stamps and i became president which took forever but gave me something to do. I love he music and sound in this game. The graphics bring back a simpler and more fun time before video games changed. TheThis game is the racing game of all time. I think everything makes this game amazing. I have played over 200 hours of this game and i haven't gotten bored of it. I've collected all 100 stamps and i became president which took forever but gave me something to do. I love he music and sound in this game. The graphics bring back a simpler and more fun time before video games changed. The cities and cars in this game are truly amazing. Expand
  3. Dec 29, 2014
    In my opinion, this game is by far the best game ever to come out for the Playstation 2. The thing is, everything you do in the game is fun, and you never get bored with it. My brothers and I have beaten the game numerous times, and we still never get tired of playing it. Not only that, but even though we are much older, this game is still one of my favorites to play. Would rate 20/10 if I could.
  4. Feb 26, 2016
    A decent game I played as a kid, and revisited recently out of curiosity. My friends and I loved this game when I was in primary school, but held up to the scrutiny of my older self it doesn't quite hold up as well. 'Road Trip', or 'Road Trip Adventure' as it is known in PAL regions, is a very unique and imaginative concept. A sort of mesh between an RPG and a racing game, with numerousA decent game I played as a kid, and revisited recently out of curiosity. My friends and I loved this game when I was in primary school, but held up to the scrutiny of my older self it doesn't quite hold up as well. 'Road Trip', or 'Road Trip Adventure' as it is known in PAL regions, is a very unique and imaginative concept. A sort of mesh between an RPG and a racing game, with numerous different mini games scattered throughout. Even more odd is that the game takes place in a world inhabited by cars rather than people. This obviously helps appeal to younger audiences, but there are no googly eyed pixar-style cartoons here. Instead the various vehicles are shrunk down, yet instantly recognisable versions of real life models ranging from the classic Citroen 2CV to the Ferrari Testarossa. I didn't notice this as a kid, but now, as a fan of cars, I was pleasantly surprised that I could choose from 150 different models which can be painted any colour using RGB sliders. So that bright orange and green Lancia Delta you've always dreamed of can now be yours! The game is boasts an entirely open world as well; you can converse with passing cars by driving into them and visit other vehicles in their homes by crashing through the front door. Rather than cause massive amounts of property damage, this actually allows the player to engage in side-quests or mini games, which frequently involves exploring this vast car-world and other cities.
    Whilst exploration is encouraged, venturing off the beaten track in some places only introduces the player to barren plains of emptiness, with nothing to look at except the white fog in the distance or the poorly textured ground surface. This really does lift me out of this car world and comes off as a bit lazy. It couldn't have been that hard to fill up some of these open expanses with rocks, trees or hills. The landscape features which are present don't look that great either, with many blurry textures and basic models, even by PS2 standards. This is a shame, as this exploration aspect could be greatly improved with some graphical upgrades. Other than a few really fun mini games such as an obstacle course, car-football and barrel dodging, most feel quite basic and are only enjoyable for a few minutes. Several are borderline frustrating due to the rather clunky control scheme, but this thankfully doesn't impact too much on a much larger aspect of the game: the racing, from which the player earns monetary rewards to upgrade cars with a variety of different parts.
    There are many different areas to race around, some of which are very inventive. One interesting feature is that the 23 opponents change between races, and each are characters which the player can interact with in the open-world. Find these other cars, and they can join your own racing team, which means you can earn more cash for each race – neat! Races can be great fun, particularly in the opening 1st or 2nd lap, but this brings me to one major gripe: the horrid AI. It’s so stupid that in most races there are about 5 cars which get stuck on walls. Opponents frequently get bunched together, as faster cars will just ram into the back of slower ones and stay there, rather than overtake. In large open areas the AI either swerves sporadically or follows in one strict line which can be easily overtaken in a single pass. This does make the game very easy in some parts, and even as a child I remember being able to breeze through some races because half of the opponents got trapped behind a tight corner.
    The physics and collision detection are also some of the worst I have ever seen in a video game. Seriously. Slightly brushing against walls can send player and AI cars alike into a jittery mess. Furthermore, driving over a slight ramp can launch your car high into the air, only for it to float down gently as if it were a feather. The music and sound is also pretty dreadful. Granted these two faults do add to the charm of this low-budget title, but it can get grating listening to the same repetitive songs over and over again on the car radio. In the unlikely event that you do rank poorly in a race, chances are it happened due to some freak spasm of the physics engine rather than any fault of your own.
    However, in spite all of these flaws Road Trip Adventure can be very addictive, and to this day remains a guilty pleasure of mine. It wouldn’t surprise me if many of these 10/10 reviewers have been bitten by the Road Trip Adventure bug as well, since I can forgive some flaws to experience this unique concept. I gained a true sense of accomplishment and satisfaction from uncovering this world and slowly upgrading my car and teammates. There are also several hidden items and Easter eggs so there is a possibility for a few playthroughs. It’s just a shame this great idea didn’t have the big bucks or a major developer behind it – or else we could've had a real gem on the PS2.
  5. May 7, 2015
    Fantastic game loved it ever since i first got it at the age of 4 and still love it to this day. I showed my friends this game and even they love this game. I love this game and the story may be far fetched but its oddly charming. The only problem is the sound as you will mainly hear screeching of your tyres. But still for a game that costs 10 euro. I'm sad not much people know about it.Fantastic game loved it ever since i first got it at the age of 4 and still love it to this day. I showed my friends this game and even they love this game. I love this game and the story may be far fetched but its oddly charming. The only problem is the sound as you will mainly hear screeching of your tyres. But still for a game that costs 10 euro. I'm sad not much people know about it. If you ever see this game its a must buy and you should get it. Expand
  6. May 6, 2012
    unhateable game. Have loved it since i was a little boy 4years old. kept me entertained right to the end. One of my favorite games although some stamps were hard to get like curling or rainbow jump
  7. Nov 21, 2011
    o gosh where do i begin this game is pure awsomeness, the racing and adventuring aspect of the game put together into one game...., it proves old games are awsome and and don't be afraid to try something new
  8. JasonW.
    Jul 8, 2003
    There's a lot of stuff to keep you occupied in this game. If you get bored of one thing there are pleanty of other things to hold your interest. Just put on a cd ('cause the music does suck) start the game and kiss the day goodbye.
  9. DavidC.
    Dec 9, 2002
    This game is very fun. I enjoyed playing,upgrading, and customizing my own car, and racing my friend in 2 player mode. Soccer is extremely fun as well as golf. I recommend this game to anyone.
  10. KristenF.
    Jan 4, 2003
    I loved the game...well as much of it as I got to play anyway, for I do not own it, and can't find it anywhere in town. I only give it a 9 since I have only played about 20 hours or so of the game.
  11. AdamS.
    Mar 1, 2003
    Very fun.
  12. StephanieO.
    Jul 30, 2005
    I think that game is very wonderful, it has many things that you could do so if you fail on one event you could try the next. I mean when on a game do you become a car and able to a president!!!!!
  13. T.R.
    May 1, 2003
    one word: Spiffy ;) i like this game very much.
  14. Kyrra
    Jul 23, 2003
    I'm speechless.
  15. Kyrra
    Jul 26, 2003
    I give this game a 9 y? because its awsome besides the fact that i have beet averything except i cannot figure out what stamp 99 is i have no idea how to either plz if you know it e-mail me plz!! i begg of you !!! kittiehasclaws@aol.com my e-mail<<<<< plz help !!! thnx
  16. KennyM.
    Jun 15, 2004
    All i need to do is the grand prix and volcano course and by the way stamp 99 is meating a alien spaceship.
  17. DavidT.
    Jul 2, 2004
    My 5 and 6 year old won't let me play it as they always want it. Over 100 hours of fun for a tenner and still got things to do. One hell of a game and I can't wait for part 2.
  18. RemcoP.
    Nov 24, 2005
    It is really something else, it is so huge the game leads you in a whole lot of directions really something else
  19. Kyrra
    Jul 23, 2003
    I'm speechless.
  20. Joe
    Apr 21, 2004
    Great game.
  21. Nov 2, 2012
    This game is forever labeled as one of the best video games ever made for the PlayStation 2, in my perspective. Its customization, racing and overall freedom in an open-world environment makes it a must have for those who love the racing or open-world genre.
  22. Feb 8, 2015
    This game is just too amazing for words, it is probably THE BEST game for Playstation 2 in my opinion, and it should really be up there in other people's minds too, the lessons that this game taught me are crazy, for example, Klien and Minerva, an old dumper truck falling in love with a purple sports car on a tropical island. :) nostalgia, oh and I've never got bored of this game, playedThis game is just too amazing for words, it is probably THE BEST game for Playstation 2 in my opinion, and it should really be up there in other people's minds too, the lessons that this game taught me are crazy, for example, Klien and Minerva, an old dumper truck falling in love with a purple sports car on a tropical island. :) nostalgia, oh and I've never got bored of this game, played it through when I was 4-5, and I was the happiest guy in the world when I foud you could rebuy it on the playstation 3 store, I must've become president at least 10 times, and I never got bored, literally hundreds of hours, worth every second :) Expand

1. The weakest portion of Road Trip is the sound. Aside from the screeching of tires on the road and the bubble-gum pop on the car’s radio, there really is little else to listen to.
  2. All in all, Road Trip gives the player exactly what we all cry for over and over again: Depth, Shelf-life and Affordability. This is no $50 three-hour tour that the average player can breeze through and then forget about.
  3. Official U.S. Playstation Magazine