• Publisher: Koei
  • Release Date: Feb 6, 2007
  • Also On: PC
8.4

1. Feb 10, 2014
    If you're a long-time fan of the series there's not much to say. This version steps back from the RPG elements in 7, 8, and 10 and returns to a more old school approach. Single-screen for logistics and combat. Best graphics of any (including XII's, IMHO) RoTK game.
    The dueling and debate systems aren't as good (RE: involved) as X, but the unit combat is vastly improved. This iteration is
    easily my favorite of them all. The PS2 version is spectacular, despite not having a mouse, but the load-times might deter some. PC is preferable. Expand

1. Longtime addicts that have kept up with the series and crave more of its rare gameplay will eat it up. Gamers that have never cared about or have never heard of the series don't have any reasons to give it a whirl. There's really no getting around it. Either you like this style of game or you never will.
  2. Even after going through the tutorial and starting the first scenario....I just found myself yawning at the screen. The game simply isn't aimed at me, which doesn't make it a bad game...just one aimed at a very small slice of the gaming populace, even smaller than strategy fans in general.
  3. Fans get everything they're looking for, with a fresh look and new options. Newcomers will find a slow, tedious experience with inexplicit detailing of progress and overwhelming information and menus.