8.8

1. Mr.Grim
    Oct 27, 2003
    Made 2 RPGs from 1 and just got 2. The graphics are great! Belive me this is a must have for any RPG freak. It also seems that they have there own programing language built in. For more in depth events. I have been waiting for this game for two years, and now its mine. Get this one as soon as you can!
  2. EddieDuck
    Oct 30, 2003
    This is the best rpg maker that is going to be publish in while. Until later I'll stick with this.
  3. CountD.
    Jan 20, 2004
    Don't laugh at the name, cause i didn't come up with it. Anyways, Rpg Maker 2 is sweet, with heavily in-depth flagging systems an a more advanced field of game design than it's predecessor.
  4. J.S.
    Oct 21, 2003
    I still remember the excitement I felt when I first played the original Doom. Actually I lie; I felt that when I played Wolfenstein 3D first. Here was a game that truly started the 3D revolution - it proved that an immersive, first-person experience was possible on the computer and in my eyes at the time, I saw a future of photorealistic environments obeying the laws of physics where a I still remember the excitement I felt when I first played the original Doom. Actually I lie; I felt that when I played Wolfenstein 3D first. Here was a game that truly started the 3D revolution - it proved that an immersive, first-person experience was possible on the computer and in my eyes at the time, I saw a future of photorealistic environments obeying the laws of physics where a story set in any world imaginable centred around you. As far as I was and are now, concerned this is where computer games will end up; the place where ordinary people can live extraordinary lives. Wolfy3D showed that the photorealism in computer games was going to be achievable, all it needed was a bit more beef under the hood of your PC. And so with relish (and not a little imagination) I ate up Wolfy. Then Doom. The sheer pleasure of exploring a basic, yet fundamentally believable environments - with guns - was every bit the revolution it deserved to be. Then came Doom 2, and I the magic was beginning to fade - I couldn't quite put my finger on it... the graphics were better, there were more demons... but I was enjoying it less... and not for the first time, I was reintroduced to the axiom; gameplay is king. Then came Quake, Quake 2 (fully 3D characters) and a multitude of followers. Every one improving on the previous one's graphics, making the world seem more real, but all forgetting the impetus that led them there. The search for the realistic world in your PC was continuing apace visually, but was neglecting the most importanct aspect; interactivity. Since then, the gaming community has periodically roused from it's creative slumber to give us the likes of Half-Life, Deus-Ex, Morrowind etc. Always we were waiting for what ID did next to point the industry back towards where it will eventually end up. And so we come to Doom 3. What are ID telling us now? Well for one thing, they are telling us that bump and specular mapping with polygon-heavy environs, dynamic lighting, physics, 5.1 sound, 2x antialiasing can run very fast on a moderate system (2.8G, 1G RAM, 9800PRO). To have created such a rich environment and have it run so well is truly impressive. And what they say about game 'polish' should be a lesson to all. Computer panel access, cut-scene integration, PDA, the use of positional sound and lighting - the whole game reeks of the time they took to make sure every last little experience is a cut above what has gone before - although I might have a small gripe about the quality of some bump and spec. maps (even on extreme) which are not always as detailed as some in Far Cry, or the heat effects which again are not always quite as realistic. But these are mere triffles when such a convincing world has been created as in Doom 3. But that is where the good ends. The only other thing to commend ID on is the name; this truly is the third Doom game. You walk into a room, you get attacked. Your press a button, you get attacked. You pick up armour; attacked. Don't look behind you? Attacked. New weapon lying on the ground? Attacked. Not been attacked for a while? Wall opens and you probably get the idea... Worse still, these aren't monsters that are waiting in corridors or ducts that you flush out or hear having an argument - you can't surprise these demons - they appear when you pass the pre-programmed point and not a moment before. Pass the point and you will no doubt hear the noise of a demon being conjured from an electric disturbance nearby (reminiscent of anything?) but even that is not needed. I once walked through a door backwards and saw two spiders literally appear out of nowhere. Okay you may say I am being picky, but that the designers could not have though of a better way to infest a world with shootables is very disappointing. You start to get the impression that ID spend the ENTIRE FIVE YEARS on the engine for this game but a week on the gameplay. Or maybe no time at all? All this really is is Doom 2004. If they took the time to copy the story of Half-Life (science installation goes wrong, opens portal from another dimension which infests installation with beasts), the beginning (walking round installation before disaster) and the method of beast appearance (ball of electricity) - you might as well just swap the word "Xen" with "Hell" - why did they leave out the friendly interaction and AI? Yes, there is NO AI in Doom 3 - demons see you as soon as they appear (i.e. you are close enough - even if hidden) and then go straight for you. The more I play thins game, the more it amazes me that they though so little about the games that have come before it (except Half-Life of course). There is no stealth, no headshots, no need for ammo conservation, no using friendlies, no branching routes, no branching story (you might think there is but there isn't), no respite from attack. No subtlety. Graphically, this game delivers as advertised; it is the benchmark. Concerning gameplay, it competes with the likes of Doom 1 and 2, Quake, Serious Sam etc. Quite how so many reviewers have ignored this is really quite amazing. But I guess there are many people out there who don't realise that gaming is about an immersive experience shaped by the player and the games where you run around shooting stuff that moves is a little... passe. This is a game has no brain and requires none from the player. For a game that took five years where we have lived as Freeman and Denton, I can only be disappointed in that. Expand
  5. AustinR.
    Jul 20, 2003
    I own the first Rpg maker and i believe it to be a great game on its own, I'm not saying that it is not free of flaws, but it appears that the sequal corrects all problems and expands on it's predecessor to create the best rpg making console experience ever.
  6. ThomasJ.
    Jan 29, 2004
    As much time as one might expect to spend on something that deals with the entire creation of a complete RPG game, it's actually not half bad. There are countless other RPG creation softwares that you can find on the net, but for 3D scenery and the like, this is actually close to the best. It should take some time to get used to, but it's very much worth it all in the long run. As much time as one might expect to spend on something that deals with the entire creation of a complete RPG game, it's actually not half bad. There are countless other RPG creation softwares that you can find on the net, but for 3D scenery and the like, this is actually close to the best. It should take some time to get used to, but it's very much worth it all in the long run. Buy it, and don't forget the keyboard... that'll cut out half the trouble. Expand
  7. JohnS.
    Jan 6, 2004
    This game is a great game for people who are thinking of getting into game designing. It shows you how much time and effort it takes to be a game designer. To rpg players out there who have played this game the only thing i dont like is in the object placement you have to go through each item to choose what you want, it would be better if they had a list like the list the characters and This game is a great game for people who are thinking of getting into game designing. It shows you how much time and effort it takes to be a game designer. To rpg players out there who have played this game the only thing i dont like is in the object placement you have to go through each item to choose what you want, it would be better if they had a list like the list the characters and enemies in the models list. Expand
  8. DanM.
    Apr 5, 2004
    This game is more than i could ask for. its plain out awesome.
  9. GreatJar
    May 8, 2005
    RPG Maker 2 is a very sophisticated game which enables you to design medium class games through a series of various editors. These remarkable editors, such as a dungeon editor, a map editor, and a building editor, rate this game a 10. However, as the player engages further into the programming, he or she will find him or herself travelling in a loop because of the heart of the game: The RPG Maker 2 is a very sophisticated game which enables you to design medium class games through a series of various editors. These remarkable editors, such as a dungeon editor, a map editor, and a building editor, rate this game a 10. However, as the player engages further into the programming, he or she will find him or herself travelling in a loop because of the heart of the game: The scripting editor. If the player does not manage to persevere this perplexion, he/she will find great disinterest in the program and rate in something low, such as a 3/10. Nevertheless, if the player does manage to articulate the great information within the program, they will be overjoyed and thus give it a 10/10. The method I would suggest to aclimate to the script and event functions is Trial and Error. The joy of the program is not the freedoms or great editors, it is the fact that you can literaly create a virtual universe where you are God! Then you can make another individual play your game and challenge them to defeat your immagination, which you inputed into the game. (Visit: teamdragoon.proboards44.com for more information) Expand
  10. DavidL.
    Nov 29, 2003
    I just got the game and right away I knew I'd like it. I'm stuck trying to figure how to get the flags to work.. It says how in the guide but it's so confusing. But all-in-all this game is SWEET!
  11. JoeyI.
    Nov 3, 2003
    This game is veary fun.
  12. DuxDux
    Oct 18, 2003
    I have this rpg maker and it is really great i have made 3 games so far and they are amazing! This one is "Must Buy!"
  13. BobS.
    Oct 20, 2003
    This looks like the best game, and I plan on buying it the day it comes out.
  14. MattH.
    Oct 27, 2003
    Very good game to get a little idea of how the pros do it to make a game or games.
  15. MykeB.
    Oct 28, 2003
    This game is great if you seriously have absolutely have nothing better to do. It requires time, effort, and a lots of imagination. But in the end, it's an altogether kick-ass experience. I mean you made your onw game!!!!
  16. PheonixBird
    Oct 29, 2003
    I played the first game, but there is so much more to do in this game! Agetec, you rock!
  17. ChrisS.
    Jul 22, 2003
    I have seen pictures for the second RPG maker and i have made many games on the first so i give this game 2 thumbs up.
  18. TravusW.
    Aug 4, 2003
    This gaming program rocks.
  19. LeviC.
    Sep 24, 2003
    I liked rpg-maker 95, 2000, and 2003 for the computer. The rpg-maker for the ps1 is also good. I herd abou this game a couple weeks a go i jumped right online to see pictures and what people had say about it. I hope this game becomes number 1 and i have $52 on my wall waiting till it comes out.
  20. ChaddS.
    Sep 24, 2003
    I havnt used the rpg maker myself but i have read about it and i think it is a really good idea.
  21. TN
    Jan 12, 2004
    Its awesome.
  22. ChadS.
    Dec 14, 2004
    "This game is awesome I've not got it yet but I'm getting it for christmas and I've read at least 15 diffrent website reviews but there are a few problems which is why I gave it a 9 instead of a 10 but I know I will really like it even if it takes 500 hours to make 1 game ::TWO THUMBS UP:: "
  23. RyanT.
    Jan 2, 2004
    This is a great tool for any RPG fans out there. The only reason big name reviewers give it such a bad name is because they arent given enough time with the game. Give it a chance and Im sure youll enjoy it.
  24. FedC.
    Oct 27, 2004
    I've been waiting for soo long!!! finally I find this pretty good!
  25. Dom
    Feb 21, 2004
    This game looks splendid i wanna get it but i dont no where 2 get it from the screenshots of this look gd!
  26. SakaiaW.
    Jul 12, 2004
    This game is stupendous especielly win you get to the part with sepperoth i love the buster sword its massive really neat lol this game is realle greeeeeat go get ff7 everyone should buy it at wally mart piece out dog but im about to strap on my blades and do a 180 spin over my curb its radacle!!!! later
  27. SeanM.
    Nov 1, 2003
    I have used and created the game that is in the guide. it is wonderfull. Plz try to get into the game before you decide you do not like it.
  28. MysteryMan
    Nov 13, 2003
    Very entertaining, if you have the time.
  29. NickL.
    Nov 3, 2003
    This game looks VERY fun. The graphics are polygons, which some people might dislike. Although I haven't played this game, it seems pretty fun. BE WARNED: MANY game magazines have stated that this game is terribly confusing.
  30. TN
    Nov 4, 2003
    Its awesome.
  31. StephenL.
    Jan 15, 2004
    This game is great i have used 5 memory cards on it it doesnt ever get boring i've made my game like this humungous sequel it is so awesome i think im better than anyone at this game. but its great.
  32. MikeM.
    Jan 26, 2004
    I've just ordered the game. I've seen a few screenshots from the game and I decided that it has to be good. Sure, there's been some negative criticism about it taking long and being confusing...but...DUH! It's an Rpg "MAKER." I bet I'll like it once I get it, too.
  33. NikiW.
    Feb 11, 2004
    I love this game......I made an awesome game-version of a book I wrote called Prophecy. It was great bringing Ceslia, Kano, and all of the other characters I made for the book into a game.
  34. BishB.
    Feb 14, 2004
    I don't care what the critics say this game is awesome!
  35. JamesD.
    May 16, 2005
    Rockin' but difficult?
  36. ShawnG.
    Nov 27, 2003
    A good advancement from RPG Maker 2000 and the expanded 2003 - RPG MAker II on PS2 has many ups - to include the ability to design a 3D set of maps and classifiy character classes to fit yoru story better. On the other hand it is hard to get into at first (unless you enjoy thinking and testing). Hopefully with th erelease of the Eye Toy you will be able to insert user made BG pics for the A good advancement from RPG Maker 2000 and the expanded 2003 - RPG MAker II on PS2 has many ups - to include the ability to design a 3D set of maps and classifiy character classes to fit yoru story better. On the other hand it is hard to get into at first (unless you enjoy thinking and testing). Hopefully with th erelease of the Eye Toy you will be able to insert user made BG pics for the opening splash screen. I rated this game a 9 because it IS fun if you can work in the time nad enjoy the thought processes, but there are several things that would make this a better title...like making it for PC The ability to import and export things (textures and models) can limit your imagination somewhat. Over all this is a fun low level development and programming tool for PS2. Fans of the "series" shouldnt be too disappointed. Expand
  37. SarahM.
    Dec 29, 2003
    At first it's challenging and you don't want to take the time to edit characters, but when you get near the finished product and start making islands and towns you'll never want to stop.
  38. RyanA.
    Nov 29, 2004
    I love this game. I like the fact that you can disighn your very own games. I wish I had a PS2 keyboard though because the scrips are a pain to make with out it. I give it a 9. And thats only because i want a keyboard ... so i really gave it a 10 .. its awesome.

1. Sadly, you can't create textures or models, but those who are able to tame this monster will still find an abundance to love. [Nov 2003, p.92]
  2. It has one major flaw - the gameplay is downright appalling. A blind man on ice has more control than your character's general movements. [Jan 2004, p.130]
    Those who stick with the clunky interface and difficult scripting options will be able to pull off some truly incredible pieces of work.