• Publisher: Midway
  • Release Date: Dec 11, 2001
8.9

1. PaigeL.
    Feb 17, 2002
    What else can I say, it is good!
  2. NickD.
    Mar 20, 2002
    Hours and Hours of Enjoyment, very creative and cool characters.
  3. JulianK.
    Apr 7, 2002
    This Game is F*cking sweet Great storyline, Spooky atmosphere, and vary funny at times. Also has a much more mature aspect talking about sex and other things.
  4. MarkA.
    Mar 2, 2002
    10, 10 A fu..ing 10. This game has lots of gore and that's what I like to see!!!
  5. FeytH.
    May 13, 2004
    This is one really fun game.I rented it and now I went to Olympia yester day and i bought it.
  6. Feb 4, 2012
    Very impressive game. It's story is one of the best in RPG history, in my opinion. It's battle system is classic turn-based with a little twist by use of a thing called the "Judgement Ring". You WILL get attached to the characters. The soundtrack is fantastic and fits the game so well. One of the best game soundtracks I've ever heard. The game graphics are a bit lacking but it was made inVery impressive game. It's story is one of the best in RPG history, in my opinion. It's battle system is classic turn-based with a little twist by use of a thing called the "Judgement Ring". You WILL get attached to the characters. The soundtrack is fantastic and fits the game so well. One of the best game soundtracks I've ever heard. The game graphics are a bit lacking but it was made in 2001 on the PS2. For it's time, the graphics were great. Just one of the little quirks that I'd like to mention, you travel to actual places in the countries of China and Europe in game. Has two different endings depending on certain choices you make. One of my favorite games of all time! There will never be another game like this one, in my opinion. I wish there more RPGs like this now. Expand
  7. Aug 19, 2012
    An amazing RPG! The story is compelling and emotional, the combat is creative and fun, and the music is stunning. My only problems is that the graphics look a bit dated, there is little voice acting, and when there is voice acting, it is absolutely terrible. Other than that, this is an RPG you need to check out!
  8. Dec 28, 2016
    By far one of the best games I've ever played. The characters are compelling, the story amazing and it pushes the envelope on so many other things. It's fun, interesting, the world intriguing, the monsters downright terrifying and it explores several different ways of telling a story. I loved all the characters and to this day it is the one game I have played over and over and over again.
  9. AnonymousMC
    Sep 6, 2009
    A very surprising game. I got a lend of this and didn't think it was gonna be much. But i was wrong it is a very unique and highly unappreciated game. Its no FFX but it has its own style and ifur not 2 fussy about graphics then u will like this game.
  10. MarkD.
    Apr 10, 2002
    It's different but great.
  11. EduardoR.
    Sep 30, 2004
    Great game. Very different to anything I have played before. Great story I love the combination of Dark atmosphere and comedic situations.
  12. MarkL.
    Dec 1, 2003
    I enjoyed this game so much that wheni finished i started again within a few hours later.
  13. MarbleX.
    Jan 16, 2006
    Excellent, hampered only by a stupid love story between two completely incompatible people that would never happen IRL. Other than the childish romantic plot, really an excellent game with original and creative elements.
  14. BlayseO.
    Jul 13, 2002
    This game is truly a keeper! Great characters, wonderful story, and a battle system that actually requires some effort. I only wish there had been more CG!
  15. Dec 13, 2012
    Truly a fantastic horror RPG. A jaw dropping intro (at least it was at the time,) unique and well design characters, beautiful visuals and truely an interesting idea for a combat system, which is a little frustrating at first, but once you get the hang of it, a sheer pleasure. Overall: One of the best RPGs on the PS2 that should be tried by everyone.
  16. Mar 30, 2016
    This game is very good, with great writing, cool characters and quite decent fights due to the judgment ring mechanics. The fact that you can take risks when attacking to deal more damage or much less or actually no damage at all is very cool, it gives the turn-based system of its battles something many games lack, it's original. The game is short and its graphics are not the best, butThis game is very good, with great writing, cool characters and quite decent fights due to the judgment ring mechanics. The fact that you can take risks when attacking to deal more damage or much less or actually no damage at all is very cool, it gives the turn-based system of its battles something many games lack, it's original. The game is short and its graphics are not the best, but that's not too important, the most important thing is that it's very enjoyable. Expand
  17. JustinL.
    Mar 10, 2002
    I thought it was a hella good game, but I thought the ending sucked.
  18. AdamS.
    Apr 27, 2002
    Great atmosphere, unique battle system. Great characters, I only wish it were longer and with more CG.
  19. Jul 6, 2012
    Few big issues makes this game a very hard choice to take, and one of them is the extremely dated graphics: even when it came out in 2001-2002, it was pretty bad and really outdated, making it more similar to a ps1 title (I'm pretty sure that some ps1 titles had better graphics than this). Add the fact that it has no voice overs, a very old mechanics, since the spells are learned via levelFew big issues makes this game a very hard choice to take, and one of them is the extremely dated graphics: even when it came out in 2001-2002, it was pretty bad and really outdated, making it more similar to a ps1 title (I'm pretty sure that some ps1 titles had better graphics than this). Add the fact that it has no voice overs, a very old mechanics, since the spells are learned via level up, which is nice, but also makes some characters virtually useless, and some extremely needed (Alice is basically the only healer, if you don't count Yuri), you can see this game is extremely dated for a ps2 game. However, this game still is incredibly good and for many good reasons that can easily crash the flaws. One of them, is the setting, which is a lot different than usual, and it will make you play in the period before the first world war, although there isn't much about history here. Also, another good point is the theme: the game is very mature for an RPG because you'll be defeating not just monsters, but DEMONS, and really the only other game that can be compared to this is probably only the Shin Megami Tensei series (which has also demons, and a modern setting too). Also has a very nice story and interesting characters, especially Yuri, which has the ability to fuse himself with demons: unlike many RPG heros, he's extremely different and much more likeable than the average young and inexperienced hero. (also the others can be interesting, like Keith). What really wins here, is the different setting and theme, and not even the technical issues and the dated mechanics can make this game too old, even though this game is extremely short (finished in less than 30 hours, with most of the secrets unlocked). So if you like RPGs with a more realistic setting, a darker scenery, and like to kill demons and REAL monsters, I highly suggest to give it a look: this might be a small gem among the many other RPGs. Expand

#28 Most Discussed PS2 Game of 2001
#40 Most Shared PS2 Game of 2001

1. Shadow Hearts’ enthralling plot and superb combat system make this one a keeper. Did I mention the micro-skirted heroine?
    This story and this world deserved to be supported by better graphics and game design.
  3. The game is nothing if not involving. A story with real depth, actual humor and pathos, and some dramatic and frightening moments is something you don't see everyday - and even more rare in RPG's.