• Publisher: Capcom
  • Release Date: Feb 8, 2005
8.1

1. Maximus
    Feb 22, 2005
    One of the best games i ever played.
  2. Nov 7, 2013
    This game, like a star wars sith, deals in absolutes. It has 2 modes, one of which is amazing, the other is abysmal.

The combat in this game, while seemingly wonky, is very, very cool. It's second only to the criminally overlooked Gladius in terms of Gladitorial Combat Games, and manages to mix smartness with 300-style gore. It's good stuff. Too bad everything is thrown out of the

Too bad everything is thrown out of the window once you get to the stealth missions. Either you do exactly as the game tells you or you die in one hit. The ideas used here are nice, don't get me wrong, but it's sloppily thrown together and ultimately ruined the game for me.

Shadow of Rome gets a 5, as it combines the best of the hack-and-slash genre with the absolute worst of stealth missions.
  3. RickW.
    Feb 10, 2005
    Great game. The stealth part isn't as annoying as many say it is and the fighting, with Agrippa, is probably the most fun I've had playing any video game, on any console, in the last 5 years. Awesome job Capcom. Long live Agrippa!!!
  4. JimmyD.
    Feb 1, 2005
    Excellent graphics, music, voice-overs... camera is only slightly annoying (nothing we havent gotten used to before)..and the story is very solid..combining stealth, swordplay, beat-em-ups and some problem solving...this is a very solid title that keeps you wanting to play on...
  5. RickR.
    Feb 10, 2005
    Should not have bought this one. The stealth sucks and there is too much of it! The arena scenes are good.
  6. Dennis
    Feb 22, 2005
    I just thought it was pretty badly done game. Shame on Capcom for putting just bad performance on this.
  7. GregoireF.
    Feb 2, 2005
    This game is marvellous... The gladiator fights are crazy intense and the adventure/infiltration part is very nice to play. My best peek since MGS3...
  8. XextusPompeius
    Feb 3, 2005
    i plaied a trial version of; SHADOW OF ROME. too exciting to play. but i am little worried about part of sneak action, it is not included in a trial version.
  9. MichealW.
    Mar 10, 2005
    this is one of the bloodiest games on the market. even more deadlier than tenchu....not only can you cut off heads and limbs but you can use them as weapons and even throw them into the crowds for more points. even max panye 1 not 2 gets drinched in S.O.R. bloodshed.
  10. LeoJ.
    Apr 7, 2005
    Great.
  11. AdamN.
    Jan 30, 2007
    It s a good and enjoyable game but the stealthy bits were a good idea and ok at first but they get a bit boring and drag on to long further in the game, but I love chopping people in half!
  12. JohnQ.
    Jan 25, 2005
    This game is excellent. It brings a whole new genre of the fighting/adventure games. The combo moves are devistating extremely fun to watch and learn. There is a lot of bloodshed and the game can be repetitive at times but through and through its a great game. Though the fighting is a lot alike, the storyline keeps you on the edge of your seet the entire time. The levels change, game This game is excellent. It brings a whole new genre of the fighting/adventure games. The combo moves are devistating extremely fun to watch and learn. There is a lot of bloodshed and the game can be repetitive at times but through and through its a great game. Though the fighting is a lot alike, the storyline keeps you on the edge of your seet the entire time. The levels change, game modes change, the characters change and most importantly in a fighting game, the weapons. The different styles on weaponry are in wide categories, anything from sheilds to the great halebird you can always find some awesome combos to inflict on an enemy. I think its definetly worth the money if your favorite genre is a fighting/adventure game that will keep you guessing. The game is not completely historicly accurate but its still on of the best fighting games ive played in a long time. Expand
  13. CarlR.
    Feb 15, 2005
    I did not find this to be a good fun experience that is worth $50! The violence is almost funny -- it's like the developers just wanted to splash as much blood as possibel without it being realistic. It is an amatuer designed game -- I am surprised it is a capcom offering.
  14. EfeB.
    Feb 18, 2005
    The battle levels, especially the gladiator arenas are wonderful. it seems very simple hack and slash at first glance but when you get into it more, you realize that there is more that can be done than meets the eye. i like the fact that you can use every weapon you see, stab and slash and throw them to kill the poor people around you. you can cut limbs and heads off, even use the limbs asThe battle levels, especially the gladiator arenas are wonderful. it seems very simple hack and slash at first glance but when you get into it more, you realize that there is more that can be done than meets the eye. i like the fact that you can use every weapon you see, stab and slash and throw them to kill the poor people around you. you can cut limbs and heads off, even use the limbs as weapons. very bloody, which is good...because it IS a gladiator game afterall. its quite solid. the sneaking around levels are not necessary, but not terrible either. the graphics are very good, surprisingly good actually for this type of game. i like the realistic armors and helmets and shields, flames look nice...i mean...hey, its the best galdiator/roman empire game out there, check it out. i guarantee you will have a blast. Expand
  15. MartR.
    Feb 25, 2005
    Along with PS2's agonizing last years come a few really good games. Shadow of Rome is definitely a good game, but there really are two games embedded into one fusion here: the gory kill or be killed setting of Agrippa's gladiator fights is a definite win-win situation, but it is dreadfully interrupted by the snotty sidekick's "sneaking" missions. The latter kill most of the Along with PS2's agonizing last years come a few really good games. Shadow of Rome is definitely a good game, but there really are two games embedded into one fusion here: the gory kill or be killed setting of Agrippa's gladiator fights is a definite win-win situation, but it is dreadfully interrupted by the snotty sidekick's "sneaking" missions. The latter kill most of the joy since this sneaking is a hit or miss trial, bordering on insance difficulty and boring crouching. But the story keeps dragging one along and eventually playing the sneaky parts becomes just a way to get to the next violent encounter in the arena. The pace does fall to pieces in the bitter end, but until then, the game is pretty much flawless. Expand
  16. ElenaK.
    Feb 3, 2005
    So bad... Capcom must pay the money for me.
  17. MikeC.
    Feb 6, 2005
    This game will be a sleeper hit. how do i know because real gamers tell the truth.played game it rocks. great graphics no long loading time and its action steath you will enjoy this a lot.
  18. HaarisK.
    Feb 7, 2005
    The action in this game is really nice. A real sleeper hit in my opinion. Good job by Capcom on this one. Will hold me off till DMC 3
  19. MarcD.
    Mar 26, 2005
    Gladiator/Troy/Ben Hur fans rejoice. You can now play out your own swords and sandals epic. The visuals were a bit bland and the story took a little too long to build up. The 2 characters simply did not feel...cohesive. Overall, the experience was good, not great.
  20. JJJames
    Mar 3, 2005
    I think its the best game of the year.
  21. NeutralMilk
    Mar 4, 2005
    Friends, Romans, Gamers- lend me your controllers!! Shadow of Rome has finally been released on PS2 after much anticipation since its E3 preview. Capcom thrusts you into an all too realistic reincarnation of ancient Rome amidst the assassination of Julius Caesar setting the backdrop for a gory adventure with the direction of an empire resting on your shoulders- but not yours alone. Friends, Romans, Gamers- lend me your controllers!! Shadow of Rome has finally been released on PS2 after much anticipation since its E3 preview. Capcom thrusts you into an all too realistic reincarnation of ancient Rome amidst the assassination of Julius Caesar setting the backdrop for a gory adventure with the direction of an empire resting on your shoulders- but not yours alone. Utilizing unique character switching Shadow of Rome enlists the brute centurion Agrippa and the brainier, shall we say slimmer, Octavianus to give the title a duality of fighting and stealth that enhances game play and the plot. I have read positive reviews for the game but some critics were unsatisfied with the stealth missions but I think they are a welcome respite to constant carnage and added a smarter edge to the game while reminding me of the Metal Gear Solid series at its finest. Besides those comments were probably because the game flat out rules and gamers were having too much fun being rambunctious with Agrippa Expand
  22. ConnerM.
    Jun 4, 2005
    While the agrippa(gladiator) part is awsome, the octavianus part is dumb and frustrating, the story is fiction but it´s a game so enjoy the bloodbath...ahhh!
  23. MarcoP
    Sep 10, 2006
    I just bought this game a few days ago from Circuit City (a steal at 7 bucks!), and I can't put it down. This game had the unfortunate timing of being released about the same time as God of War, and although God of War is better than this game in most regards, this game is certainly no slouch.Shadow of Rome reminds me of Rygar which I got a few years back. It's got the same kind I just bought this game a few days ago from Circuit City (a steal at 7 bucks!), and I can't put it down. This game had the unfortunate timing of being released about the same time as God of War, and although God of War is better than this game in most regards, this game is certainly no slouch.Shadow of Rome reminds me of Rygar which I got a few years back. It's got the same kind of hack and slash-stealth that Rygar had, and it's a beautiful game too. Fans of Devil May Cry 3, Rygar, and God of War will be pleased. Capcom did well, and I wish more people would give this game the chance that it deserves. If you see it on the shelves, do yourself a favor and pick it up, you will not be sorry! Expand
  24. JohnT.
    Feb 10, 2005
    This game is not worth the money. The violence is way over the top and the stealth action is done by folks in Kindergarten of game making!
  25. BobbyR.
    Feb 22, 2005
    This is a great game. I would give it game of the year.
  26. NatronD.
    Mar 3, 2005
    The stealth parts ain't as bad as some lame crits are sayin. There is an ingame map that shows everything! Why are they whining about stealth? It's a lot easier to see where I'm going and where I needs to go than SnakeEater which I like both though. But the reason to get Shadow of Rome is the fighting. It is a gladiator meatgrinder! And all those arena levels are fun to The stealth parts ain't as bad as some lame crits are sayin. There is an ingame map that shows everything! Why are they whining about stealth? It's a lot easier to see where I'm going and where I needs to go than SnakeEater which I like both though. But the reason to get Shadow of Rome is the fighting. It is a gladiator meatgrinder! And all those arena levels are fun to replay! This game is great. It has cult classic stamped all over it. Only thing I would add is more unlockable crap. Who in hell want to play through entire game 8 times just to get enough silver coins to buy all merchant crap? I just want to earns golds in all arenas. I would also add a few more chariot races. Expand
  27. SikanderShahzadI.
    Feb 11, 2005
    Great Game, Im having fun playing it, I love the feeling of strength playing Agrippa in the Arena's gives me. The stealth is okay, it's not "Splinter Cell" stealth but it's okay, if the game was all action fighting and stuff like that, It would have bored me after a while, but the change of gameplay to stealth from time to time keeps me playing and playing. And also, the Great Game, Im having fun playing it, I love the feeling of strength playing Agrippa in the Arena's gives me. The stealth is okay, it's not "Splinter Cell" stealth but it's okay, if the game was all action fighting and stuff like that, It would have bored me after a while, but the change of gameplay to stealth from time to time keeps me playing and playing. And also, the story is not bad like most of the other games out there! Buy this one, you'll enjoy it. Expand
  28. FranciscoP.
    Nov 21, 2005
    The game is just excellent, the story everything I liked it a lot
  29. Nov 3, 2010
    The scores for this were way undeserved. Definitely one of the PS2's excellent titles. The story is well implemented, personally I thought the Stealth was well done and the arena fighting is brilliant, especially the feeling of having a giant Halbard to swing around and around while the crowd cheer on. Also I like the way the game is split into two different characters for the StealthThe scores for this were way undeserved. Definitely one of the PS2's excellent titles. The story is well implemented, personally I thought the Stealth was well done and the arena fighting is brilliant, especially the feeling of having a giant Halbard to swing around and around while the crowd cheer on. Also I like the way the game is split into two different characters for the Stealth and Action.

One of the PS2's excellent underated gems which is definitely worth picking up.
  30. Jan 31, 2011
    I am not a big blood fan. but this game inspite of violence was amazing. the puzzles are fun and challenging. sneaking around and straggling people to avoid being killed. then you switch sides to your partner and beat the **** out of another guy! duel play for 2 completely different gameplays. i would reccomend thi8s game to ANYONE.
  31. Aug 22, 2013
    a really amazing and underrated game this game has one of the most interesting and amazing plot in games and it is so bloody specially in the arena sections and it has some nice stealth game play in the end a really good interesting game
  32. Jun 5, 2013
    Regardless its flaws, Shadow of Rome is a solid game and ensure entertainment with its brutal combats, versatile gameplay and mildly challenging stealth sequences.

1. The brutality of the battles is Shadow Of Rome’s saviour, ensuring the joys of arena battles outshine the gloom of the needless padding and provide guilty thrills that little else can offer. [Feb 2005, p.95]
  2. Packs some of the most brutal hand-to-hand combat ever, and there's plenty of story and intrigue to conveniently justify all the gory violence.
    It's regrettably hindered by below-average stealth elements. The result is a game that oozes potential but ultimately fails to deliver greatness.