Shadow the Hedgehog PlayStation 2

• Publisher: Sega
  • Release Date: Nov 15, 2005
6.0

1. Nov 4, 2012
    Seriously,why does everyone hates this game? i mean,it's not the best sonic game i've ever played,but it's better than SONIC THE HEDGEHOG '06,you have to admit this game was good,okay,it had glitches,and no speed at all,BUT,you guys DO remember that in sonic heroes ,team dark was more focused in combat rather than speed,right?yeah,well thats how shadow rolls.....and why do you guysSeriously,why does everyone hates this game? i mean,it's not the best sonic game i've ever played,but it's better than SONIC THE HEDGEHOG '06,you have to admit this game was good,okay,it had glitches,and no speed at all,BUT,you guys DO remember that in sonic heroes ,team dark was more focused in combat rather than speed,right?yeah,well thats how shadow rolls.....and why do you guys complain so much about guns in the game,YOU PLAY SONIC GAMES,A BLUE SUPERSONIC HEDGEHOG WHO WEARS SHOES!!!!SHOES!!!!,and you guys complain about guns?pfft,anyways,i like this game,Live with it. Expand
  2. Jan 18, 2013
    Really fun and really memorable. The game had its thrill, good music, perfect difficulty standard, fun little side game types like co-op (Flawed but still fun) and the Multiplayer (Real Fun).
    The guns in this game ARE NO PROBLEM AT ALL as many people say, Its auto aim almost but still good enough. The side missions of choosing your story was clever and a great as an idea. Overall, Its a must play if you forget Bob saying the game sucks.
  3. Nov 25, 2013
    I don't see why this game is so hated. It has really cool soundtrack and levels are really enjoyable. It's just one of those games, that require mre skill. The idea of dropping 10 rings after hit instead of all of them makes this games actually a lot easier. I like the fact, that you can choose, if you want to do Hero, Dark or Neutral (go to finish line) missions. Also, the storyline fillsI don't see why this game is so hated. It has really cool soundtrack and levels are really enjoyable. It's just one of those games, that require mre skill. The idea of dropping 10 rings after hit instead of all of them makes this games actually a lot easier. I like the fact, that you can choose, if you want to do Hero, Dark or Neutral (go to finish line) missions. Also, the storyline fills gaps that SA2 and SH left for Shadow. It has great replay value.
    This game is a platforming shooter and that's the main reason why it's hated so much. Those kinds of games are actually my favourite. In other words, you should buy this game, if you want to know more about Shadow The Hedgehog without going to wiki pages or if you like platforming shooters.
  4. Oct 28, 2014
    I fully and shamelessly admit that this game is one of my guilty pleasures. Yes, the controls are awful, the level design is insipid, and the voice acting is just... satanic, I can't help but like it. Part of it is to blame that I loved it as a child, and another part is that it's trying to hilariously hard to be taken as a dark, gritty Sonic game, and it's adorable. It's not quite as badI fully and shamelessly admit that this game is one of my guilty pleasures. Yes, the controls are awful, the level design is insipid, and the voice acting is just... satanic, I can't help but like it. Part of it is to blame that I loved it as a child, and another part is that it's trying to hilariously hard to be taken as a dark, gritty Sonic game, and it's adorable. It's not quite as bad as everyone says, either; if you have some time to waste, give it a look, but I won't blame you for hating it. Expand
  5. PhilK.
    Feb 4, 2006
    Why did I buy this game!!! 50$ in the garbage! Storyline is too short, gameplay is horrendous, and to top it off this is the easiest game ive ever played! It took me a 1/2 hour to beat campaign mode. Sega has taken a HUGE step backwards. Name anything that makes a game good I bet you they screwed up that part too, graphics, gameplay, an interesting story line, the list goes on and on.
  6. TonyR.
    Sep 8, 2006
    It's okay. Still not the greatest game ever. Poor level design but cool guns.
  7. Sep 8, 2013
    It's a sonic game with a different main character. People complain of speed, 'cept we're not playing as Sonic here, are we? Nopers, not Sonic! The gun idea... Not so awesome, the battles, same. The levels for all sonic games were always quite straightforward, here you have a bit more space. The auto-targetting is terrible, camera is just like every other 3D sonic game released sinceIt's a sonic game with a different main character. People complain of speed, 'cept we're not playing as Sonic here, are we? Nopers, not Sonic! The gun idea... Not so awesome, the battles, same. The levels for all sonic games were always quite straightforward, here you have a bit more space. The auto-targetting is terrible, camera is just like every other 3D sonic game released since Dreamcast failure. I got this game for $1, I think I've gotten my money's worth out of it. Story line is a bit dull, but I don't care, the fast paced movements and puzzles in completing the different missions in each level give it variety and difference. Mediocre game, fun to play, can be frustrating, steep learning curve, there's no 'here's a training level to get you used to it' straight into the game. That's the only thing it's missing in my opinion. Expand
  8. Dec 4, 2015
    I don't care what people say about this game. It's amazing in my opinion. The music Is amazing!! I am all of me by crush 40 seriously. No matter what year it is I will always love this game!
  9. May 14, 2012
    OH NO, a positive Shadow the Hedgehog review? I am prepared for the hate. Regardless, Shadow the Hedgehog was released in 2005 and is the first Sonic related game in which the protagonist is not Sonic the Hedgehog and is a character introduced in Sonic Adventure 2. The purpose of the game is for players to find out more about Shadow than they originally knew of in SA2. This informationOH NO, a positive Shadow the Hedgehog review? I am prepared for the hate. Regardless, Shadow the Hedgehog was released in 2005 and is the first Sonic related game in which the protagonist is not Sonic the Hedgehog and is a character introduced in Sonic Adventure 2. The purpose of the game is for players to find out more about Shadow than they originally knew of in SA2. This information includes Shadow's past such as how he was created and more details about Maria. When it comes to the actual story, it gives you a different feel in each of the different sides you choose. I believe players disliked the story because they didn't want a different style in which you can play through different outcomes and have increased replayablility. Now let's get into the gameplay. Many people found the gun concept to be "Pointless", the speed of Shadow to be too slow, and the performance of the game graphics wise, but I found none of those to be an issue. the guns bring variety to the series, Shadow runs just as fast as Sonic and runs as smoothly as in SA2, and the graphics were not bad. Heck, even the split screen I found fun playing with my friends. The only minor issue I found within the game was, well, nothing. Overall, don't listen to the other reviewers unless you prefer everything to be the same rather than variety. That is why this game deserves a perfet 100. Expand
  10. Apr 26, 2011
    Even if you're looking for a little bit of life in Shadow the Hedgehog, I'd turn to the NGC version. The PS2 version emphasizes bad control and camera to a whole new level.
  11. Dec 18, 2013
    You can choose between hero,evil and neutral.Shadow uses guns.You can choose to help G.U.N. ,or help the Aliens,or only to find the truth about Shadow's past.The way you do the levels will decide Shadow's future.Probably,one of the best Sonic Games ever.
  12. Sep 3, 2015
    it is very easy to talk about how BAD this game is about spoiling anything major. One biggest issue is that he tournament tear like chapter menu, I want caught a menu because you can't select the chapter, but you go up or down a tear depending on if you're going to be a good guy bad guy or just do neither and just go straight down the centerline of the tournament tears. The Voice acting isit is very easy to talk about how BAD this game is about spoiling anything major. One biggest issue is that he tournament tear like chapter menu, I want caught a menu because you can't select the chapter, but you go up or down a tear depending on if you're going to be a good guy bad guy or just do neither and just go straight down the centerline of the tournament tears. The Voice acting is bad and I couldn't help but notice if you hear Maria's breathing in the opening cut saying she sounds like a child but when you're far enough on the "good guy" tear or path and you meet her in a certain level and she's your companion for that chapter she sounds like a full grown woman. Is it Maria supposed to be a child? if they designed this game better and had a better storyline Shadow would've gotten more of his own games.
    The gameplay felt like a cliché having shadow use guns like they are trying WAY too hard to reach an older audience. The could've had more to his attacks then just his homing attacks and spin dash attacks to try to make him different then sonic, I know chaos blast and Chaos control but filter attacks you only get when you fill a certain meter. AI for the enemies and the companion characters were crap. and all in all this game was way too easy for a teen audience I was trying way too hard to please with this game. Shadow the hedgehog deserve a better game than this crap. Only get this game if you want to Mulefat and all in all this game was way too easy for a teen audience I was trying way too hard to please with this game. Shadow the hedgehog deserve a better game than this crap.
  13. KeenanS
    Jun 8, 2009
    Shadow the Hedgehog had great potential to be something cool, but in the end all we get is a disastrous third-person action title with slopping platforming and running and a lame protagonist trying to be the iconic Final Fantasy VII hero Cloud. The gameplay is atrocious thanks to the bad camera and rotten controls which will make you die several times. The storyline is among the worst Shadow the Hedgehog had great potential to be something cool, but in the end all we get is a disastrous third-person action title with slopping platforming and running and a lame protagonist trying to be the iconic Final Fantasy VII hero Cloud. The gameplay is atrocious thanks to the bad camera and rotten controls which will make you die several times. The storyline is among the worst ever told in the history of storytelling; essentially it's a defecation of storytelling. The voice actors were horrendous and the dialogue was even worse. The graphics bounce back and forth between okay and downright ugly. This game is an uneven and cluttered mess of bad design choices that even the most adamant Sonic fans will hate it. If the rumored sequel is true, they better damn well fix all the problems with the first game, or better yet just don't release it! Expand
  14. Jun 13, 2011
    Sega said it wanted a hardcore hedgehog, so they painted in black and gave it a gun. Seriously , Sega you're a genius in what you do, in fact you are my "idol". This is a huge disappointment in the famous series, yeah, maybe i like the sonic series, but the classic one, forget about the Sonic series is lost.
  15. Aug 8, 2012
    I liked Shadow the Hedgehog, as an avid Sonic fan it delivered a good experience, I thought the addition of guns was pretty cool, I didn't care much for the story, it wasn't too great, but who does? In a sonic game you just wanna run and keep running, the problem with that, is that some of missions didn't allow you to do so.
  16. Jun 27, 2014
    Average game

The animation isnt too good, neither is the voice acting.
    the story is kinda cool, and i like the non-linear level system
    The turning is better and more controlable

Overall, i would call it a game.
  17. Oct 26, 2013
    this game could be awesome
    but sega made a lot of mistakes
    they could do something better it they would take
    his time,they could fix the gameplay,the could made
    different endings with a better story and with better levels
    with more speed and less action and ridiculous things
    why a hedgehog needs a gun and a motorcycle?
    he is the ULTIMATE LIFEFORM!!!!
  18. Mar 29, 2014
    Wow, is this even a game? Have these people ever played a Sonic game? What is the problem you ask? Well Shadow doesn't have enough guns. Also this game lacks the snorting of cocaine and the administering of heroine and other happy drugs. This is the way I think the game should've went. First, Shadow is seen at the trap house, making his daily roundabout, when all of a sudden, Dr. EggmanWow, is this even a game? Have these people ever played a Sonic game? What is the problem you ask? Well Shadow doesn't have enough guns. Also this game lacks the snorting of cocaine and the administering of heroine and other happy drugs. This is the way I think the game should've went. First, Shadow is seen at the trap house, making his daily roundabout, when all of a sudden, Dr. Eggman steals his '64 Cherry Red Impala with all sorts of suspensions and 400 inch rims. Shadow is not happy with this, and gets his glock ready. He then shouts, "hey foo, give me my muda-fcking ryde back!" And then the game ends. That would have been better than this weak excuse at a video game. Well, that's all. Expand
  19. May 17, 2015
    I have spent like 60 hours on this game when I was younger. Challenge of doing every single storyline was so addicting. Music was fantastic. 8/10.. deal with it.
  20. T.J.
    Jun 20, 2005
    I was hoping for a Sonic game that wasn't based on Sonic. Shadow, when I first saw him, was a dark character and much more "Get out of my face" than Sonic. Shadow the Hedgehog was a great idea and I love it. I know people will say stuff like "Shadow sucks, make Sonic Heroes 2!" or some crap like that, but I own Sonic Heroes and I, first of all, got somewhat bored of it, especiallyI was hoping for a Sonic game that wasn't based on Sonic. Shadow, when I first saw him, was a dark character and much more "Get out of my face" than Sonic. Shadow the Hedgehog was a great idea and I love it. I know people will say stuff like "Shadow sucks, make Sonic Heroes 2!" or some crap like that, but I own Sonic Heroes and I, first of all, got somewhat bored of it, especially since you need to collect all the chaos emeralds to fight Metal Sonic. The gun was a big surprise in the Sonic universe and a big improvement personally. I wonder if you get to fight the Sonic Team if Shadow's evil and if you get to beat the yoke out of Eggman if Shadow's good. GO SHADOW!!!!!!! Expand
  21. MarkK.
    Oct 6, 2007
    Simple rule: Guns + Sonic = Garbage. Some good ideas, but fails to deliver with medicore gameplay and the same flaws any other 3-d sonic game ever had. Some speed is still present but this still soulless stuff. A real shame.
  22. AshR
    Oct 24, 2008
    Well I hate to say it, but this game really disappoints me. It is a far cry from the usual Sonic games--even the more recent 3D ones! The gameplay is repetetive and involves slippery controls and uncreative level design. I found myself often becoming frusterated for being constantly flung off of cliffs or over railings. Also, the use of guns in a Sonic game is just strange and almost Well I hate to say it, but this game really disappoints me. It is a far cry from the usual Sonic games--even the more recent 3D ones! The gameplay is repetetive and involves slippery controls and uncreative level design. I found myself often becoming frusterated for being constantly flung off of cliffs or over railings. Also, the use of guns in a Sonic game is just strange and almost uncomforable. What ever happened to the homing attack? Shadow himself is quite negative, and the story needs some repairs. It seems choppy and strange and the animation really needs work. I suppose the game is playable, but ask yourself.... Does this feel like the Sonic I grew up with? I really wonder what Sonic Team is thinking when they put up titles like these. Expand
  23. BoBBoBBy
    Aug 8, 2006
    COMPLETE disapointed I think I am really losing intrest in the Sonic Team's work they have run dryer than dirt and I really loved Sonic,so sad :( Oh yeah and the multiplayer was the one thing I was hoping would be good after playing the fucked up single player but it SUX there is nuthin!
  24. JayM.
    Sep 3, 2006
    i love this gam its cool i still play to find out whats happend to him but i think its a good all around shooter games if u want a shooter game this is the 1.
  25. BenV.
    Nov 13, 2005
    A complete rip-off of other much better games. You would think that combining platforming gun combat from the Ratchet and Clank series as well as "good and bad" choices from games like Fable would make a great game, but not with this. Easily the worst game this year. Sega has failed its fans once again. Here's the Bad. The gameplay is atrocious with barely any variety; your choices A complete rip-off of other much better games. You would think that combining platforming gun combat from the Ratchet and Clank series as well as "good and bad" choices from games like Fable would make a great game, but not with this. Easily the worst game this year. Sega has failed its fans once again. Here's the Bad. The gameplay is atrocious with barely any variety; your choices amount to nothing; the camera never works properly; the auto targeting reminds me of Drakes of the 99 Dragons; and the main character and story are as dull and unoriginal as ever. The Good? None really, except that it shows that Sega has no reason to exist in the gaming market. If you're simple, read this: Do not buy, rent, or get near Shadow of the Hedgehog. Expand
  26. SunnyS.
    Dec 17, 2005
    Just read the reviews and you'd understand. Crappy graphics, rubbish gameplay (like sonic heroes), really cheesey voice acting etc.
  27. JohnB.
    Feb 1, 2006
    Sega never learns...nor do the fans that continue to root Sega on for its terrible games. Sonic died back in 94 and will never come back as long as money continues to loom over Sega's shoulders.
  28. BenF.
    Apr 17, 2006
    One the games I really liked. Ignore the reviews. the people who write reviews are the adults. Remember, it's adults who grade this game, trust me. Buy it if you love shooter games.
  29. DragonKnight
    Apr 27, 2006
    Oh please, will someone please hunt this hedgehog down and shoot it. I thought the Adventure titles were bad, this makes them look like they're amazing revolutionary games. This game has poor, ugly, disgusting graphics. it has annoying, irritating, bothersome, horrid sound. The story sucks and the good/evil deal is just an annoying gimmick. The story is dull, you really don't Oh please, will someone please hunt this hedgehog down and shoot it. I thought the Adventure titles were bad, this makes them look like they're amazing revolutionary games. This game has poor, ugly, disgusting graphics. it has annoying, irritating, bothersome, horrid sound. The story sucks and the good/evil deal is just an annoying gimmick. The story is dull, you really don't care about any of these mascots now just pleading and begging for death after being humilated with such filth that are their recent games. The gameplay isn't fun in any regard. The shooting is as bad as it gets, not only is it out of place and completely ridiculous, it is horribly broken and takes many shots before you hit your wretched target. Do not buy, do not rent, just try and forget it exists. Not only this game, but every Sonic game that was made after 1994. Expand
  30. NickM.
    Jul 9, 2006
    This game goes somewhat off the point of the sonic francise, which is speed. I feel that there was too much guns and not enough speed. The gun idea was.... somewhat a good idea, but it could be better. To make the game worse, camera and controls!
  31. TomK.
    Jan 22, 2007
    There's a reason why so many people here in the UK run over hedgehogs on country roads. A black emo hedgehog with a crap pistol does not a good game make. Let this animal join the black parade early.
  32. SS
    Dec 2, 2007
    Avoid this game at all costs... I beat it, and I'm not proud of it. The Sonic series and it's fans deserves better than a platformer with slipshod control and an even worse shooter. Shadow was cooler in SA2, enough said. May Sega stop making pointless spinoffs and get Sonic The Hedgehog back on track. If not, well there's always Super Smash Bros Brawl.
  33. Sep 16, 2010
    A thoroughly uninteresting mess that takes itself far too seriously, Shadow the Hedgehog destroys everything that made Sonic popular in the most violent ways it can. Story is bad, controls are slippery and the gun play is awful- there is absolutely no reason to concern yourself with this title aside from the pretty rockin' soundtrack.
  34. Jun 21, 2015
    This is the worst unfinished concept for any game I've ever seen on the Ps2. Yes, it is objectionable to have a clone of Sonic who is armed. Sonic, who they started pushing as a kids character, is in this game and is friends with him. The first level has a demonic voice telling you to eliminate all the humans. You can just press forward and win. Twitchy controls make it so you barely seeThis is the worst unfinished concept for any game I've ever seen on the Ps2. Yes, it is objectionable to have a clone of Sonic who is armed. Sonic, who they started pushing as a kids character, is in this game and is friends with him. The first level has a demonic voice telling you to eliminate all the humans. You can just press forward and win. Twitchy controls make it so you barely see whats happening. There is no gameplay anywhere in this. The other reviewers with positive scores are not real gamers. This does not qualify as an actual game. This is some kind of derivative of Sonic Heroes style game which was also poor. The engine Sega has been using for 3d Sonic has just been wrong for over a decades time. I hate this game. Expand
  35. Jan 13, 2014
    I had always been curious about this game, I liked the character and thought a darker interpretation of the Sonic universe would be cool, but I never picked it up because it was technically a Sonic game, a series I hated at the time. The negative reception from both critics and fans didn't help either. I'm glad I finally got around to playing it. It's not perfect but it provides a uniqueI had always been curious about this game, I liked the character and thought a darker interpretation of the Sonic universe would be cool, but I never picked it up because it was technically a Sonic game, a series I hated at the time. The negative reception from both critics and fans didn't help either. I'm glad I finally got around to playing it. It's not perfect but it provides a unique and fun experience.

Most of the complaints I have with the game are aimed at the story. It's nonsensical and is filled with plot holes and characters who make idiotic decisions. It's cool that it has many branching paths that lead to different endings, but the fact that you have to unlock all 10 of these ending in order to get the cannon ending is something I feel is a little unnecessary and just a way to extend the game's length. Considering the number of Youtube reviewers that have gone in depth with what's wrong with the story I'm not really going to go into a lot of details. Let's just say that story isn't the reason you should play this game. You should play it because it is a successful experiment on classic Sonic gameplay with a new protagonist.

A lot of people have made complaints about the controls and I don't really get that. The only issues I had were some light problems with the camera and homing attack, the latter of which would send me over edges and careening into a bottomless pit unto my death at times. Both issues were easy to tolerate and avoid, especially when you compare them to the issues so many other PS2 games have with things like the these. In my opinion these are some of the best controls I've experienced with a game in the Sonic series. I also found the gunplay to work very well. The auto lock-on system makes aiming a breeze. They did decrease the effectiveness of things like the homing attack and the spin dash, but combat still has a nice flow to it. Overall I feel like the gunplay paid off in the end.

As far as difficulty and length goes this game is the easiest and shortest Sonic game I've ever played. This is acceptable when you realize that the game is meant to be replayed multiple times in order to experience all of the different endings. Another cool feature is the branching path function of the game. In each level your given one of three tasks to complete labeled hero, dark, and neutral. Depending on which one you choose to complete you get to see different cut-scenes and play through different levels. This adds a surprising amount of replay value, despite the fact that some missions can be more tedious to complete than others.

Overall I found "Shadow the Hedgehog" to be a flawed but incredibly fun experience. It ends up being one of the best Sonic game I've ever played. It's experimentation pays off and it avoided many of the issues I have come to expect from Sonic games of this era. If you're willing to expect some change than I recommend this to all of you Sonic fans out there. You might have to overlook some issues, but I found it to be worth it in the end.
  36. May 19, 2012
    OK, so I am re-reviewing this because I just didn't like the first review of the game I did. It was rushed, and I was just wrong about it. But I won't say anyything about that anymore. Let's move on. It undeniable how popular Shadow the Hedgehog has become...as a character. He is emo, a nega version of Sonic, and he is just flat out cool. But what about his game? Those of you who hadOK, so I am re-reviewing this because I just didn't like the first review of the game I did. It was rushed, and I was just wrong about it. But I won't say anyything about that anymore. Let's move on. It undeniable how popular Shadow the Hedgehog has become...as a character. He is emo, a nega version of Sonic, and he is just flat out cool. But what about his game? Those of you who had played Sonic Adventure 2 and enjoyed it will probably appreciate this one too, at points anyway. The opening cutscene and music in it is phenominal. SEGA has always excelled in opening cutscenes, and Shadow the Hedgehog is no exception. It pumps you up for the action you're about to face. While its not as good as Sonic Unleashed's opening, the main theme of the song, "I Am", Phenominal. The best song in any Sonic game, I don't care what anyone says. Then you start out the game with another cutscene that begins the game with Shadow having no recollection of his past, only remebering Maria and his name...and how to breathe, and talk, and walk, and run, and thank god he hasn't forgotten how to be awesome. Then aleins attck Westopolis, and the leader of the aleins, Black Doom, tells Shadow that he knows him and to "find the seven chaos emeralds and bring them to me, as promised." What happends next is up to you. You enter the level with 3 objectives, each revolving around good, evil, or neutral. Depending on what missions you do determines what level and storry route you will take, encouraging players to play the game multiple times to unlock all of the endings in all of the levels. It's crazy fun to determine the fate of the planet and choose your route. There are ten possible endindgs and to see how Shadow treats the other characters is just plain fun. But what you have to do to get them is where everything goes downhill. The first level in the game, both evil and good missions are exactly the same: kill all of the enemies, except what mission you're doing, you have to defeat either the aleins (good) or GUN soldiers (evil). EVERY SINGLE ENEMY! The first time I played the first level, I wanted to kill all of the GUN soldiers, but then, I used chaos control. The chaos abilities in the game were, indeed, a dissapointment. First off, Chaos blast doesn't have a very good range, and it will be much more fun if you just home attack them. Second, chaos control has got to be the worst move EVER in the whole series. OK, mabey not if you're doing a neutral mission, which just requires you to get to the end every time, but if you are doing a good or evil mission, you have to take your time, and find and/or kill everything, but chaos control blasts you through the stage which means you missed some of your objectives which means you have to back track. I don't have a HUGE problem with this, but you don't really know WHERE you missed your objective and somtimes, you'll be forced to start over, and in doing so, you also get a lower chance of an A rank. It took me 15 minutes just to kill all of the enemies in the first level, and if you use chaos control near the end of the level, you will just go straight to the goal ring and there is now way to stop chaos control in mid air, you will accidentalyend up doing a neutral mission instead of the one you wanted to do. Also, the melle attack is completely useless. Shadow already has the homing attack. Why does he need to use his fists? And why does he need to use vehicles if he moves faster than them in the first place? UGHHH! However, if the next thing in the game weren't present, I wouldve hated it: The level design. Sure, the first level and some others are too simple and require you to go slow, but stage like Lethal Highway, Carnival Park, Final Haunt and some others were just made for running around; FAST. When Shadow goes fast, it is fun, although he is a bit slippery. The level: They're big; and theres lots of them. There are some framrate issues, but nothing to big, except for mabey in levels like The Doom and Lost Impact. The guns in the game are just...well...guns...nothing specilal. The bazookas are worthless as you can bar;ey aim with them, not a lot to be said here. The in-game cutscenes are attrocious. There's NO being nice on this one. It is as blocky as Minecraft (although Minecraft looks a whole lot better), and for some reason, it take several loading screens to load a cutscen. 10-15 seconds, a cutscene loads, and no matter how long it is, it will always take the same amount of time, and more time to load a level. This is true in the begining of the game and in the last story. Also, some of the endings of the game are unstatisfactory. There are like 3 or 4 i which Shadow just concludes that he is the most awesomest Hedgehog in the world and others, he literaly KILLS Eggman...okay then... Shadow the Hedgehog won't blow your mind, but it is worth buying it used from GameStop. The missions lack in variety, not enugh bosses, chaos powers suck, t Expand
  37. Nov 25, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Lets see.

Graphics 5/10

The technical aspects, at least on the PS2 side of things, are lost. There are a lot of framerate drops and some glitches here and there. Not good, taking in count this was 2005, the year the 360 launched - although, taking in count this is the PS2 and thus the least powerful of the bunch, its okay at best. The cinematics look really, REALLY good, even if they are only cinematics.

Story 8/10

Perhaps the best part of the game, the game allows for plenty of paths to take and thus a lot of options to choose from, hence the extra points. The plot itself is pretty simple, Shadow wants to know his past and has to search for the Chaos Emeralds to know the truth. However, the reason this game dosent get a 9 or even 10 its because of its inconsitencies with SA2, which, there are a lot to just ignore.

Gameplay 5/10

Soooo... what is this? GUNS IN SONIC? WHO THOUGHT THAT WAS A GODSOFDOE. Alright, lets get serious. First of all this isn't the first game to feature guns; first being SA2(on Tails gameplay), which was even worse, so you all shut up. But yeah.... that dosen't make it all good either. Its somewhat imprecise at times, but when you get used to it, its really easy to control. Like i said though, this is supposed to be a Sonic game, and although i aprecciate this is more of a spin-off in its own direction, at times the controls can be imprecise and sent yourself to your doom. The objectives are also really repetitive, most of which are ''Find this'', ''Destroy this'', ''Destroy this many things'' and so on. It becomes repetitive and boring.

Overall: It isn't a bad game, but by no means you should buy it. Unless you are a die hard Sonic fan.

Ranking: 6/10
  38. Jan 19, 2015
    Metascore: 8.7/10
    Metascore: 8.7/10
    This game had a great story. It had different branches of depth like different universes where Shadow the Hedgehog, the main character can go through. Shadow being in a completely destroyed world and the gunplay completelly outshades the game into more mature audiences. We can clearly see that SEGA was making another franchise. NOTHING TO DO WITH SONIC as a main protagonist.. It's not a Sonic game. They tried to popularize this new 'hero' as a new Sonic into a more mature audience. Speed may not be the main focus on this series. Shadow is a character of his own. The Graphics and Controls are the downside of this game. The Multiplayer was also a very good spendtimer with friends. I also have to state that the music of this game is awesome. SEGA tried to make a new franchise parallel to the Sonic's one, but they failed since the majority of people saw this as another Sonic game.
  39. Dec 9, 2013
    the game is good it has that "shadow the hedgehog touch" the powers the amenesia ,it includes the sonic series characters.,
    on the other hand the game dosent sound like a sega game it seems like a" resistance game" for litele kids,the game has glitchs,bad grapchics,and the worst storyline EVER in a sega game you have three choices in each level you can achive the good ending by doing the good side missions or you can do the bad missions to achive the bad ending or u can just go to the end of the level, sounds fun dosent it well it ISN´T ,IN SOME LEVELS there are easy side missions and others no, like how the hell can you only pass a level by finding 7 keys call me impacient but i have no time to find those keys and the grapchics,the enemies,the soundtrack DONT HELP but puting the anoying sides missions apart i say it wont bother you much.
    and now to the part of the game i like the multyplayer the game has great levels and soundtracks for the multyplayer ,the characters... are just shadow with diferent looks but the character dont mather altough a great multyplayer can comes with his flaws like the glitchs but if your looking for a game to play with your friends i would pick this game.
  40. May 6, 2015
    I never cared for the guns, or for Shadow having his own "I'm so hardcore with guns & aliens" game.

But this gets a 3 nonetheless: -Good points: .................thinking real hard right now... -Ammo mechanic is pretty nice -Bad points: -Slippery control -boring, overdone gameplay except for the guns system -TERRIBLE level design -terrible mission design -terrible mix of

But this gets a 3 nonetheless:

-Good points:
    .................thinking real hard right now...
    -Ammo mechanic is pretty nice

-Bad points:
    -Slippery control
    -boring, overdone gameplay except for the guns system
    -TERRIBLE level design
    -terrible mission design
    -terrible mix of "I'm so hardcore" Shadow and the cute fluffy classic Sonic cast(no really, you get cutscenes about world domination and extermination and right after you get Tails' childish voice telling you "we're gonna beat the bad guys!")
    -stupid story
    -stupid cutscenes
    -stupid pretty much everything

The should not be good but is:
    -I couldn't stop laughing at every cutscene
    -I couldn't stop laughing at the mix of Sonic world and ALIUMS
    -I couldn't stop laughing

Not worth playing, definitely worth trying to see just how silly it can get.
  41. Oct 21, 2014
    Muuaaaaa A Sonic The Hedgehog spin off i can t be dark, Muaaaaaaaa A Sonic Spin off if can t have guns and Vehicles , SHUT THE **** UP, ITS A ****ING SPIN OFF,
    Yes, The Levels are too longs
    Yes, Sometimes the camera it Doesn t helps But is a very entertaining game The Use of weapons an this game its not perfect but it isnt bad the Story is a its a little confuse but memorable for
    Yes, The Levels are too longs
    Yes, Sometimes the camera it Doesn t helps
    But is a very entertaining game
    The Use of weapons an this game its not perfect but it isnt bad
    the Story is a its a little confuse but memorable for the Sonic Standars
    Besides, ITS ****ING SHADOW THE HEDGEHOG
    Its Not precisely a good game but , is acceptable spin off
  42. Aug 20, 2014
    I found this game very fun despite a few control errors and hard levels. If you're a sonic fan, get this. If you're a new sonic fan, you might want to play Sonic The Hedgehog (2006) for a while to get used to 3D Sonic controls and level design. Once you've played that., play Shadow.
  43. Oct 19, 2014
    what the hell was sega on when they came up with this say what you like about sonic 06 and belive me it is a worse game on a lot of levels but at least that game didn't have a story that sucked no matter which way you picked and a final story that's just as bad with an awful retcon which i won't spoil for anyone sadistic enough to play through this rubbish

couple with gameplay that

couple with gameplay that sucks unless you're just aiming to get to the end of the level (with a few very rare exceptions) and you have a game that is really not fun
  44. Nov 12, 2014
    Shadow the Hedgehog is probably one of the best Sonic games I've ever played. The level are fun, the controls are smooth, the music is awesome, the gun play is great and It's barely glitchy. The only thing that I don't like about the game is that the story is pure crap and it's graphics are jarring at best. Other than that, It's an awesome game! Yeah, it's far from perfect but I defidentlyShadow the Hedgehog is probably one of the best Sonic games I've ever played. The level are fun, the controls are smooth, the music is awesome, the gun play is great and It's barely glitchy. The only thing that I don't like about the game is that the story is pure crap and it's graphics are jarring at best. Other than that, It's an awesome game! Yeah, it's far from perfect but I defidently recommend this game to any PlayStation 2 owner who is a fan of the Ultimate Life Form. Expand
  45. Feb 1, 2016
    This might just be the most unfairly picked on Sonic game of all time, despite being a 'Shadow' game. Everyone just detests this game as a one that was apparently so bad that it forced Sega to reboot the franchise, to which I say: it was his 15th anniversary. Shadow the Hedgehog has plenty of levels along with a vast assortment of weaponry. The controls can take a level play session to getThis might just be the most unfairly picked on Sonic game of all time, despite being a 'Shadow' game. Everyone just detests this game as a one that was apparently so bad that it forced Sega to reboot the franchise, to which I say: it was his 15th anniversary. Shadow the Hedgehog has plenty of levels along with a vast assortment of weaponry. The controls can take a level play session to get use to, but what are first levels for? Shadow runs very fast and can slow down easily; not only is the running spot on, the platforming is helped by the fact that Shadow slows down when jumping, also the rail grinding is fixed. In my honest opinion, the games repetition is quite possibly the only reason I don't think Shadow the Hedgehog is as good as Sonic Adventure 2: Battle, yes I really did just type that. Shadow the Hedgehog, along with Sonic (2006), understands what a Sonic game is, and gets the three fundamental things correct such as: music, graphics, and level design. Expand
  46. Mar 22, 2015
    OK, this is going to be tough...
    So this is a game about Shadow, the black and crimson Hedgehog first seen looking like a badass in Sonic Adventure 2. This game seeks to follow his past, and provides a plot where Sonic Heroes didnt.
    But lets talk about the gameplay! So the main addition to this game are...guns. A kids character using guns. Already we're in the yellows. What is the sense
    OK, this is going to be tough...
    But lets talk about the gameplay!
    So the main addition to this game are...guns. A kids character using guns. Already we're in the yellows. What is the sense in giving a kids character a gun!? And dont hit me back with the "it's a more mature game/character" excuse, SA2 was for the lower maturity, as was Heroes. They both feature Shadow as well, children will see the familiar character and want to buy it. So the shooting system...well, its all Auto-Aim. So you have to be near the enemy to shoot them. If you can see them, that is, due to the wonky camera!
    As for the homing attack...well it does decent damage but onoy seems to be capable of hitting three targets before just flying off wherever. And by "wherever", 9/10 times it means into a bottomless pit.
    This being the PS2 version, there is Co-Op! But it is never really explained. You can play as any support character, minus Charmy the Bee, with the second controller. Kinda like Sonic 2 and Adventure.
    For spoiler reasons, i wont go over the plot, but youll find it confusing and strange. Also, you need to play the game TEN TIMES OVER to unlock the last story! Even Heroes only did that 4 times!
    Controls and movement are slippery as ever, like in Heroes. Even the graphics are pretty much the same, but due to the darker colours and other crazy stuff, it looks...uglier. Even Super Shadow looks disgusting. And you should know by now that mentioning Super Shadow isn't a spoiler.
    Not much else to say really, just that the 2P mode is pretty weak, in level missions can be a total pain and doesnt the quote " Those Black Aliens are out of control!"......sound JUST a little bit racist?
    This game is Evil!
  47. Apr 16, 2015
    I loved the story more than anything! The best part is how your in game decisions (good, evil, or neutral) alter the story and change what stage you go to next. I probably played through the story over 100 times to get every possible scenario. The soundtrack was very fitting for the game! Loved everything about the story mode! (multi-player sucked, but I didn't buy the game for that)
  48. Aug 26, 2015
    I'll be the first to admit that Shadow the Hedgehog is not the best game in the Sonic franchise. There are some rather prominent problems with the game. Chiefly, the camera angles can be horrendous at times, with the game only giving you limited control over the camera at certain points (with the camera sometimes being locked in place in particular parts of certain levels) this can lead toI'll be the first to admit that Shadow the Hedgehog is not the best game in the Sonic franchise. There are some rather prominent problems with the game. Chiefly, the camera angles can be horrendous at times, with the game only giving you limited control over the camera at certain points (with the camera sometimes being locked in place in particular parts of certain levels) this can lead to some deaths that feel unfair to the player, as sometimes you fail to make a precise jump whilst dealing with a less than helpful camera angle. The level design is somewhat varied, however enemy and obstacle placement prevent you from hurtling along the level at high speed, slowing the game down somewhat. The gunplay, whilst an interesting feature in a Sonic game, can be awkward to handle at times, a lock-on feature would have done wonders for this game.

The good points however are that, to begin with we get some further backstory about Shadow as a character, something that is more than appreciated by long time fans, as Shadow was still quite the mysterious character after his Debut in the Sonic Adventure series. The levels, as mentioned earlier, are quite varied, with levels based on cityscapes, haunted castles, theme parks. space stations, industrial facilities and secret bases to name a few. Going back to the story, one review mentioned that the story is somewhat short, whilst this is true, this is also due to the fact that the game has multiple endings, which unlock multiple special items to be used in the game, giving the game an element of replay value.
  49. Sep 23, 2015
    Felt like a poorly done batman game compared to Sonic the Hedgehog. Horrible story, Horrible physics, and the whole "Multiple Endings" BS wanted me to go play Mass Effect. Seriously, what's the point to multiple endings if there is ONE CANONICAL STORYLINE. Sega messed up big time. I'd rather play '06 than this load.
  50. Nov 15, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I always wanted to play this game but never did i watched playthroughs and i only have little things to say The opening theme is badass but i think thats were the budget went like sonic o6
    Gun combat in a game about speeding throught the level is just going to slow you down
    Chaos control 2wise DONE youv beat the level welll done u happy you didnt even playit? nope;/
    Choseing good or bad is great :D so this game in one word???????????
    MEH
  51. Mar 24, 2016
    This good game . Almost on par with Sonic Adventure . In Shadow the hedgehog . Interesting and strange gameplay . This is shooter , platformet and action-adventure . Good soundtracks . Special I am all of me , Chosen one and All hail Shadow . Very interesting storyline . Dark levels is not bad . graphics in Sonic Heroes . PS2 , GC and Xbox have this game , but Shadow the hedgehog better onThis good game . Almost on par with Sonic Adventure . In Shadow the hedgehog . Interesting and strange gameplay . This is shooter , platformet and action-adventure . Good soundtracks . Special I am all of me , Chosen one and All hail Shadow . Very interesting storyline . Dark levels is not bad . graphics in Sonic Heroes . PS2 , GC and Xbox have this game , but Shadow the hedgehog better on PS2 than SHadowThe hedgehog on XBOX and GC . poor 9 of 10 Expand
  52. May 13, 2016
    When I first got this game I enjoyed it but there is still a lot bad with it like the ice movement physics, graphics and even level design is horrible but I didn't have many problems with the gunplay but still this is just Ratchet and Clank as well as a telltale game put together in a bad package because this game had much more potential than this
  53. Dec 9, 2013

#12 Most Discussed PS2 Game of 2005
#6 Most Shared PS2 Game of 2005

The lack of speed is a real problem here.
    A long list of shortcomings, from stupid level design, unrefined controls and useless gunplay to disappointingly outdated graphics.
  3. Unlike last years popular and more importantly, playable, "Sonic Heroes," Shadow The Hedgehog is a misstep in almost every direction.