9.0

1. May 4, 2016
    really good game. obviously nowhere near persona 3 which was perfect in every way but still. not all the characters are that appealing but they are fun in the setting. a must play game. great music, characters, gameplay, tone. really good game
  2. Mar 15, 2016
    It would be wrong to call this the new Final Fantasy because eventhough it's a turn-based RPG there are way too many differences with FF, but if there's one saga that's to continue with the legacy of the great turn RPGs, it's Persona, and Persona IV is simply the most refined in the saga. Great characters, great anime-like graphics, great storyline, great music, great everything basically.It would be wrong to call this the new Final Fantasy because eventhough it's a turn-based RPG there are way too many differences with FF, but if there's one saga that's to continue with the legacy of the great turn RPGs, it's Persona, and Persona IV is simply the most refined in the saga. Great characters, great anime-like graphics, great storyline, great music, great everything basically. I just can't think of any RPG saga that is close to Persona nowadays. Expand
  3. Dec 14, 2015
    How should is say it...this is really hard to describe the beautiful things and all of the feelings of this game.
    love,Friendship,family,hate and responsibility.
    story is beyond good.even beyond super good.it is something that only persona 4 have it. game play. dungeons and battles are as the same as other j r pg games.but,the difference,O M G,the difference is the day time.yes,it is
    love,Friendship,family,hate and responsibility.
    game play. dungeons and battles are as the same as other j r pg games.but,the difference,O M G,the difference is the day time.yes,it is all about Social Links.Awesome and addicted Social Links.making MAX relationship with you friends in this game will become one of the the most HAVE TO things of your own daily life !
    music...wow.just think about an OST even better than two Persona 2 and Persona 3 .it is beyond again.
    in the end,if you still have not play this game,hurry man,hurry and buy it and make your self drown in the sea of Persona 4
  4. Oct 22, 2015
    Game: Persona 4
    Genre: RPG
    Developer: Atlus System: Playstation 2 (PS2) Total Score: 97/100 Value Score: 9.7/10 • Story: 10/10 • Characters: 10/10 • GamePlay: 10/10 • Graphics: 9/10 • Sound: 10/10 • Music: 10/10 • Length: 10/10 • Replay Value: 8/10 • Player Value: 10/10 Pros +Social links are back and consists of deeper narration of stories for more characters and more
    Game: Persona 4
    Genre: RPG
    Developer: Atlus
    System: Playstation 2 (PS2)
    Total Score: 97/100

• Music: 10/10
    • Length: 10/10
    • Replay Value: 8/10
    • Player Value: 10/10

Pros
    +Social links are back and consists of deeper narration of stories for more characters and more arcanas
    +More fusion forms and combinations available to create more powerful personas
    +Ton of side quests which will have you revisit dungeons again just to retrieve the items and to fight special bosses
    +Uses the same gameplay mechanics as Persona 3
    +A Deep engaging story of mystery and suspense with colorful and memorable characters.
    +New game+ mode which allows you to get more specific items and fight more powerful enemies
    +Multiple endings allow you to see different conclusions to the story depending on the choices you make

Cons
    -The transition from P3 to P4 is smaller than the transition of changes from P2 to P3. The game is almost exactly the same as Persona 3 excluding characters, location and story.
  5. Jun 7, 2015
    A very phenominal RPG if you can get past the first six hours of relentless dialouge. The dungeons also get a tad repetative at times, but the battle system and social link feature make this game difficult to pull away from.
  6. May 15, 2015
    Only can say that I left in one corner my WiiU and PS4 for returning for play this game in PS2. I dind´t know that Persona 4 can surprising me like it does. Awesome Characters, original and inusual story and hours and hours of diversion. Like FFX, FFVII and Secret of Mana, one of my legandary RPG ever.
  7. Jan 4, 2015
    Just like with Persona 3 FES this is also one of the best games ever made and personally I like it better. Story is even wackier and I find it much more entertaining. Same goes for the characters. Just as with P3 this sequels soundtrack is also fantastic, something the entire series is famous for. Unfortunately I don't have a Vita to try out Golden but who knows. With all the new interestJust like with Persona 3 FES this is also one of the best games ever made and personally I like it better. Story is even wackier and I find it much more entertaining. Same goes for the characters. Just as with P3 this sequels soundtrack is also fantastic, something the entire series is famous for. Unfortunately I don't have a Vita to try out Golden but who knows. With all the new interest Japanese developers have in pc maybe one day the entire series could find its way to the platform. A man can dream can't he? Expand
  8. Dec 11, 2014
    There is something to be said about Atlus. This company is capable of many great things. This game, is definitely one of their crowning jewels. For me to express my absolute respect for the company would require more space than the 5,000 character limit of this site would allow. So instead, I'll go into further detail about not only what made Persona 4 a fantastic game, but also theThere is something to be said about Atlus. This company is capable of many great things. This game, is definitely one of their crowning jewels. For me to express my absolute respect for the company would require more space than the 5,000 character limit of this site would allow. So instead, I'll go into further detail about not only what made Persona 4 a fantastic game, but also the pinnacle of JRPGS (in my opinion) to this date.

First of all, let's talk about why I immediately consider this game to be superior to its predecessor. The cult classic Persona 3/Persona 3 FES, is argued to be a better game and the most common (frustratingly so) arguments are because it has a better atmosphere and storyline. Allow me to say, that atmosphere does not mean a better game. My biggest issue with the atmosphere of the first game, while I did enjoy it, was that it made anything outside of the suppressive feeling in the game, feel extremely out of place in the game. While that is usually the point of such moments, the drastic difference just makes you feel like there is a transition that you missed getting there. Persona 4 does not have that problem. It has a naturally lighter atmosphere and the way the characters act in said atmosphere, makes for a much less jarring change between and a much more natural transition for the characters. Then there is the issue with the storyline argument. While I will agree that the overall story of Persona 3 is fantastic and it has some great character mini-arches throughout, the biggest issue is that almost none of the main characters are likable for the vast majority of the game. With no character development for any of them for far too long, the only character I ended up liking for the longest time was one who was there for less time than most of the Social Links in game. Persona 4 did not make this same mistake. It gave access to Main Character Social Links almost immediately after gaining the person in your party. Not to mention that the way the dungeon system works, has you getting to know people even before you get them as party members. Another thing this game did better was dungeons. It separated them all by person and level range in the Persona 4 which I thought was really smart.

So what does Persona 4 have wrong with it? Well, nothing that I would consider a universal problem. If you don't like long games, give this one a pass. I would have to say the average first play through of the game is a minimum of 80 hours if you are not entirely invested in doing things and over 100+ hours if you really get into it. Like I said, not a big issue but I can see some people having an issue with it. The other thing is... how do I put this... do you know what "moe" (pronounced "mow-ay") is? "Moe" is like a really bright, bubbly type character with a high voice and some "overly cute" mannerisms. Well there is one in this game by the name of Teddie. Like I said, not a universal problem, but I do know that there have been people who quit the game because of this character.

All-in-all, I award this game a 10/10 and a recommendation to buy it, either in this form or its portable form on the PSVita Persona 4 Golden.
  9. Nov 12, 2014
    The best game I have ever played. The game brings out different emotions in you, making you actually care about the story and feel connected to the characters.
  10. Aug 17, 2014
    67 hours and 19 minutes, and i still want more (btw its still my first playthrough).
    The game has great characters, an amazing story, fantastic music and good ( if sometimes repetitive ) gameplay.
  11. Aug 5, 2014
    Persona is a special game that can't be described well in words... It features one of the most compelling stories I have ever had the pleasure of playing through, commentating on 21st century teenage life in all of its complexities and absurdities. Its network of characters are all fantastically developed, which is not a surprise considering that the main premise of the game is saving eachPersona is a special game that can't be described well in words... It features one of the most compelling stories I have ever had the pleasure of playing through, commentating on 21st century teenage life in all of its complexities and absurdities. Its network of characters are all fantastically developed, which is not a surprise considering that the main premise of the game is saving each character from his/her darker thoughts and ambitions. Thematically, Persona is profound, deep, powerful, and at times flat out outrageous. But that's what makes it so memorable. This is one story and cast that you won't be forgetting anytime soon.

As a game, Persona captures the essence of a JRPG, mixing together creature collection, summoning and magic systems, and the classic swapable 4 member party. The battles have lots of surprises, flow very quickly and cohesively, and feature some of the most creative enemy design I have ever seen.

Really, I don't feel I can do Persona 4 justice by simply trying to explain its elements. This is one game you really have to play as a whole to see its genius.
  12. Jul 10, 2014
    This game is just legend, i doubt that they ever made games like this. It's old school JRPG style, they don't make games like this now, well just have to wait and see what well be Persona 5.
  13. Feb 8, 2014
    I have played this game like 10 times or more. I liked Persona 3, too. But it was a little dull to repeat the same thing everyday. But P4 changed it like you can fish better in rainy days, cook for your lunch, etc. I really love it.
  14. Dec 2, 2013
    A interesting plot ,a very challenging gameplay and lovable characters makes Persona 4 a cult classic.The game basically sucks you into the game and let you live te game.
  15. Nov 26, 2013
    This game is perfect in every aspect and it is the best game I have played in my life and I have played countless amount of games that are of the RPG genre. I can guarantee that this will at least be worth your time playing if not one best games you have played.
  16. Oct 7, 2013
    The perfect JRPG, if only FF has the story depth and relatable characters of P4, only thing to worry about for the mainstream audience is the rather repetitive combat, but overall this game is'nt made with the combat in mind
  17. Sep 16, 2013
    One of the best JRPGs ever made. One could make the argument that it is the best ever made. Deep, compelling, and at times even emotionally moving, Persona 4 captures the best elements of the zany weirdness that exemplifies classic Japanese storytelling. Part RPG, part murder mystery (and a good one!), this game is a must play.
  18. ERB
    Jul 25, 2013
    I love this game.Best PS2 game I have ever played.
  19. Jun 26, 2013
    great game but i really prefer persona 3 than 4.

pros: - another great cast of characters that are fun to be with and are still very funny - same gameplay but you can control all your characters instead of just the main character - another great story cons: - living in a small town is not as interesting as living in the city - even on the easy difficulty, you need to grind a
    great game but i really prefer persona 3 than 4.

pros:

- another great story

cons:
    - living in a small town is not as interesting as living in the city
    - even on the easy difficulty, you need to grind a LOT! and boss's take forever to beat
    - the endings are pretty mediocre
    - almost a carbon copy of persona 3
  20. May 2, 2013
    This game is fantastic. The characters are so fleshed out, they're almost like kids you would meet at school. The story also held its own with the greats in my opinion, and with multiple endings, plenty of personas to create and plenty of things to do outside of combat, this game has plenty of replay value. Persona is probably my favorite PS2 series.
  21. Apr 30, 2013
    Here's a quick review... I've been playing this game for more than 100 hours, more than a year to finally get to the end since I was lazy.

Persona 4 is a game about a group of students trying to solve a murder mystery in the quiet town of Inaba. One day at school, the protagonist hears a story about being able to see your soulmate inside your TV at midnight on rainy days. He sees someone and when he goes to touch them, he slips through his TV.

Persona 4 is a great game if you've got the time to play it. By having players create relationships with other characters, you have specialised and personal character development plus the development that occurs through the story. You also have the option of starting a romantic relationship with the girls in the game.

Something that really shines within the game to me is the music. The soundtrack of Persona 4 is great. It's upbeat, it's catchy. Really fits the mood. Like other Persona games, the music ties back to the story and what the characters must face. Tracks like "Facing my True Self" emphasise the story arcs about Personas.

Now gameplay. Persona plays like many other dungeon crawler (J)RPGs. You run through a map and explore. Get treasure. Fight monsters. The camera in the game is a little slow, but you can turn it faster using L/R2. A few things that bothered me about the game is that if you were running from a monster, your AI companions would get in the way after trying to catch up and couldn't be moved by running into them.

The removal of the feature created in Persona 3 Portable allowing you to separate your team to explore faster is a bit of a downside to me. It takes 2x as long to explore the floors and without the option to separate, you gain watered down XP.

I also believe that each Persona game I have has a coding error. After a while of exploring, battling, whatever, XP is multiplied by a lot. A persona with 30k remaining XP can level up every 2 or 3 battles. However, it might just be the discs I have.

In closing, Persona 4 is a great game for players with the time to spend on a deep story and engaging characters. With so many options, replay value is very high.
  22. Apr 11, 2013
    Persona 4 is a brilliant mix of dungeon crawling and solid character development, it transcends JRPGs as a whole and overcomes it few flaws with a fun and interesting story, good character development and surprisingly in depth game play. It is a must have game.
  23. Feb 21, 2013
    Let me start by saying that, for the most part, I hate JRPGS. This game has many of the hallmarks of what I usually find unbearable in a JRPG. Grinding, repetition, and a slow start to name a few. Yet, for some reason, I am absolutely in love with this game. Each component of this game, taken by itself, is not that impressive, but taken all together it is a remarkable and addictiveLet me start by saying that, for the most part, I hate JRPGS. This game has many of the hallmarks of what I usually find unbearable in a JRPG. Grinding, repetition, and a slow start to name a few. Yet, for some reason, I am absolutely in love with this game. Each component of this game, taken by itself, is not that impressive, but taken all together it is a remarkable and addictive experience. Except for the music. The music by itself is great. The biggest complaint about the game is the lack of variety and innovation as far as the dungeons are concerned. They're basically just hallways and rooms with enemies and treasure in them. The combat system fares much better. Simple to grasp, hard to master, especially on some boss fights (there's a few that are pretty difficult even on normal). The characters, music, and style of this game are what really does it for me. Okay...I'm rambling. This is a great game. Expand
  24. Jan 3, 2013
    To be honest, I had no idea of what to expect from this game going in. Never played a Persona game before, but knew of the name from its praised reputation. Persona 4 did not disappoint. I absolutely fell in love with this game. I loved the social system and the character development. The music is really great and catchy, visuals are very good and scenic. The translation of some of theTo be honest, I had no idea of what to expect from this game going in. Never played a Persona game before, but knew of the name from its praised reputation. Persona 4 did not disappoint. I absolutely fell in love with this game. I loved the social system and the character development. The music is really great and catchy, visuals are very good and scenic. The translation of some of the dialogue could have been done a little better in terms of localisation to the non-Japanese gaming market, but then again I believe if they did that, then the game would lose a bit of its charm. I learned quite a bit about Japanese customs and speech mannerisms thanks to this game. I really don't get why some people criticize the voice acting, it's some of the best I've ever heard in a JRPG, ever.

Unfortunately I do have one critique: The dungeons. They get repetitive and a bit dull after the first few levels. It would have perhaps made more sense to have more, but smaller, dungeon types. Allowing players to move through them at a faster pace in order to keep the momentum of the narrative. Luckily grinding isn't really an issue until you get to the last dungeon, where grinding is almost mandatory if you want the best fusions.

Overall: A really wonderful game and the best JRPG I´ve played to date. I'm really glad I went back to play it and I will recommend this as a mandatory purchase for all JRPG fans.
  25. Dec 29, 2012
    Persona 4 is not only the best game in the series. But it's also one of the best PlayStation 2 games ever! It's a huge improvement over Persona 3 in every aspect.
  26. Nov 16, 2012
    Oh boy, this is one of the greatest games ever made. The Persona series is probably the greatest series of all-time. This takes everything from Persona 3, and adds to it, making it a tad more difficult and adding some new gameplay changes. This game has fantastic combat, allowing you to switch between your crew and control what attacks they use, making it much more tactical. Outside ofOh boy, this is one of the greatest games ever made. The Persona series is probably the greatest series of all-time. This takes everything from Persona 3, and adds to it, making it a tad more difficult and adding some new gameplay changes. This game has fantastic combat, allowing you to switch between your crew and control what attacks they use, making it much more tactical. Outside of that, the world they built was fantastic, I've grown to love every single one of these characters. The story is great & very dark, just what Atlus is known for. The soundtrack, just like Persona 3, is absolutely top-notch, even better than Persona 3 in my opinion, it really gets you immersed in the world they created. I simply cannot wait for Persona 5. Expand
  27. Nov 15, 2012
    Here I thought it was impossible to follow up Persona 3, and they somehow managed to pull it off. Now comparing it to the previous game, the characters are FAR more likable, the gameplay is much more improved, the story is slightly better, and the graphics weren't much of a difference. The music was a hell of a lot better and has its own unique style to it. This game was fantastic.
  28. Oct 10, 2012
    Another fantastic persona game. The story, while not quite as good as Persona 3's, is fantastic. The characters are top notch and the voice acting is pretty good. The social links are now much more personal and are easier to finish up. The dungeons are more varied. However, they are much harder. In fact, Persona 4 is MUCH harder than 3. However, in the end, it pays off because the game isAnother fantastic persona game. The story, while not quite as good as Persona 3's, is fantastic. The characters are top notch and the voice acting is pretty good. The social links are now much more personal and are easier to finish up. The dungeons are more varied. However, they are much harder. In fact, Persona 4 is MUCH harder than 3. However, in the end, it pays off because the game is so fantastic. However, be warned. Unlocking the true ending is quite difficult and a grind will be needed. Expand
  29. Aug 14, 2012
    Absolutely brilliant. Gameplay retains many of the former elements seen in 3 and improves on them tremendously, but the story is where the real gold is. When the final credits roll, assuming you haven't gotten a bad end, you'll feel like you've said goodbye to great friends and a warmth inside will compel you to play through it all over again.
    Gameplay is primarily, on the surface,
    Gameplay is primarily, on the surface, grinding, pressing X and reading, but P4's cast and interactions carry the game so well it's impossible not to enjoy yourself. Absolutely recommended for any fan of RPGs.
  30. May 29, 2012
    As a person who struggles to find an hour a day to play any game, I'm hard pressed to find an RPG worth the time and effort to see to the end. Since I discovered Persona 4 a year ago, I'm still playing it today between work and studies like someone would routinely watch their favourite TV show. The story keeps you invested, the characters realistic and relateable, and the battlesystemAs a person who struggles to find an hour a day to play any game, I'm hard pressed to find an RPG worth the time and effort to see to the end. Since I discovered Persona 4 a year ago, I'm still playing it today between work and studies like someone would routinely watch their favourite TV show. The story keeps you invested, the characters realistic and relateable, and the battlesystem though repetitive provides just enough variety in enemies to serve as a bridge between intriguing plot scenes. The real draw however transpires between the action and the plot, where you have the opportunity to further the social links you develop within the game. You truly feel invested in the characters and your team, and it drives you to build your relationships with them and see their stories through. A great game no RPG fan should miss out on, not even now. Expand

#1 Most Discussed PS2 Game of 2008
#1 Most Shared PS2 Game of 2008

Among the cookie-cutter sequels and half-hearted remakes, Persona 4 is a near flawless example of the perfect balance between "falling back on what works" and "pushing the genre forward." That said, I wholeheartedly recommend it as one of the best RPG experiences of the year.
  2. An outstanding achievement in gaming. There’s no question that this is going to be one of my top games of the year, and any fan of JRPGs should be playing it when it’s released next week.
    What really sets Persona 4 apart, though, is its endearing, relatable cast.