• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: Nov 4, 2003
9.0

1. May 27, 2013
    The multiplayer for this game was/is mind-blowing, and, although the campaign was only ok, it is always a game worth playing if you have an ethernet cord and an online adapter as people, including myself, still play this regularly.
  2. Jun 8, 2011
    This game nowadays is crap do to the fact that there is no longer multiplayer, and the campaign is lame, the story however is better this time around, but in the end it's just more of the first game, I can't recommend this game, you can safely avoid.
  3. Dec 11, 2013
    Many SOCOM fans declared this game to be the best of the series. Having only played this and the first one, however, I really can't tell. But, wow, this game was and is still awesome. The campaign is now less linear and the AI for both sides are improved. Another feature which I loved is bonus objectives. These are hidden objectives which can only be discovered after completing them, soMany SOCOM fans declared this game to be the best of the series. Having only played this and the first one, however, I really can't tell. But, wow, this game was and is still awesome. The campaign is now less linear and the AI for both sides are improved. Another feature which I loved is bonus objectives. These are hidden objectives which can only be discovered after completing them, so you really have to experiment and explore a lot to discover them, like finding maps, or sabotaging vehicles. Usually, when you finish a bonus objective, it makes the next mission easier. I feet quite rewarded.

There is online play and it IS awesome. Why did I use present-tense you say? After all, aren't the servers shutdown? Yes, the official servers are down, but online play is still possible using LAN tunneling with Xlink Kai. And there is quite a number of people in the community there. You just need to discuss on a time to meet.

The developer of this game has started his own studio and is making a spiritual successor to SOCOM; it's called H-Hour. You better check it out!
  4. Jun 20, 2013
    Loved it almost flawless,perfect game for anyone who likes commanding men. Very realistic that's the best part about it. Love the wepon loadout so many choices.
  5. Nov 4, 2014
    This is probably the best game made for the PS2 era. This is what a Third Person Shooter should be like. I played this game so much and it never got boring. The only downside is that now with Sony taking the ps2 servers offline you have to do other stuff in order to still play it online. I'm sure I may try this sooner or later, but I'm really curious how many people actually still play itThis is probably the best game made for the PS2 era. This is what a Third Person Shooter should be like. I played this game so much and it never got boring. The only downside is that now with Sony taking the ps2 servers offline you have to do other stuff in order to still play it online. I'm sure I may try this sooner or later, but I'm really curious how many people actually still play it online. It's a great game and will go down in history as one of the greatest in the PS2 era. Expand
  6. Feb 3, 2015
    I played the game as of 2015 after having it bought used several years ago. I'm not playing many shooters at the moment but SOCOM 2 sort of got me ahead mentally and confirmed some of my prejudices concerning weapons an military kind of stuff i had in real life. In the game you have singleplayer campaign mode and a multiplayer skirmish mode and the ability to equip 4 soldiers and toI played the game as of 2015 after having it bought used several years ago. I'm not playing many shooters at the moment but SOCOM 2 sort of got me ahead mentally and confirmed some of my prejudices concerning weapons an military kind of stuff i had in real life. In the game you have singleplayer campaign mode and a multiplayer skirmish mode and the ability to equip 4 soldiers and to command them while fighting first person or over the shoulder view. At least with the version I own the single player campaign isn't fully scripted but calculates what happens by chance and based on the fact if you carry explosives and want to use them (then the enemies do as well). So no 2 single player games are the same and the enemies appear with different weaponry and at different place throughout the campaign. I think the game is a strong buy at the moment. My opinion (as confirmed by this game) is as follows: First: It doesn't help to be stealth. If you can acquire a superior and more accurate weapon you can fire fully automatic and have more range and "punch" then its a better choice compared to a silenced one. You may be spotted more earlier but this want hurt you because you can kill everybody before you get in their range so 1 or 2 enemies more don't make a difference. Also: People will know you are there if you kill some of them in reality. Even with silencers. In the game you get always silenced weapons by default but you can change that in the inventory. Second: Tactics boil down to sending your team ahead and killing every enemy you come across from the back while your team does the rest. That's true in Socom and in real life imo. Third: 9 mm guns are inferior weapons and inferior weapons are no weapons at all. In the game that means, you can kill as many people with 9mm guns as you want if you have assault rifles and body armor and don't get in their range. Just like in real life. In several mission you fight enemies who are badly equipped and field only 9mm guns because the don't get rifles by their leaders. All of them will die. So don't mess with opponents who have superior weaponry in real life. Socom teaches you that. Fourth: Helicopters kill you. They may not kill your team, but they will kill you every time you come across them. Also you can't shoot them down, because they will always be out of range of your rifle or too strong. So try to hide and don't attack them out of stupidity. The same is true for tanks. If you don't have anti-tank weapons avoid them. Fifth: Most probably you are not going to find the bomb someone tries to blow up stuff with in the first place if nobody marks it for you on the map but get killed by it or somebody you bump into while searching for it. That's true in the game and in reality. Comparing SOCOM II to other tactical shooters and having played the operation flash points, call of duty and the metal gear solid games I think SOCOM II is more realistic. You can also pit the fn90 vs. an m14 which is quite interesting, since the m14 still wins because of its higher range. I think this is also true in real life, which sort of shows the shortcoming of a personal defense weapon (small and comfortable to carry but not strong enough if you need it), but I did not verify if the fn90 is portrayed correctly in the game. Expand

Singleplayer, SOCOM 2 offers about 15 – 20 hours of gameplay – however the hours online are endless.
  2. Completely overshadows its predecessor in every single way.
  3. And speaking of landscapes, the game's graphics are breathtaking, thicker foliage, clean sight lines and better camouflage for the characters. A beautiful looking game.