• Publisher: Konami
  • Release Date: Mar 21, 2006
9.2

1. Jun 20, 2014
    Suikoden V is my favorite game of all time and it's definitely one of the best (J)RPGs to date.

Pros: Enthralling story filled with political intrigue. Genuinely fun classic turn-based combat system mixed up with the occasional one-on-one fights and strategic war battles. Recruit up to 108 (!) memorable characters each with their own compelling personalities. Multiple endings.

Pros:
    Enthralling story filled with political intrigue.
    Multiple endings.
    Lengthy: ranging from 50 to 100 hours depending on how many of the characters you want to recruit.
    Solid looking graphics.
    Great soundtrack and voice acting.

Cons:
    Combat isn't very difficult as long as you know what you're doing.
    At times difficult to figure out where you need to go due to the lack of a world map.
  2. Mar 25, 2014
    Criminally underrated game in the venerable Suikoden series.

I chortle at Suikoden V's critic score being lower than the laborious Suikoden III. Trust me when I say that V is a lot better than III. In fact, V is my favorite after II.

P.S. Unskippable cutscenes suck.
  3. Ogr
    Nov 10, 2013
    I played Suikoden V in 2013 and it's still a great game to play.

Pro: Great Story! Good Characters Feels like Suikoden 1 and 2 Graphic is sometimes nice, sometimes poor and undetailed... but still very playable, because of the perspective. Contra: No Map, wtf? Makes the game very uncomfortable. The amount of encounters is too damn high... way too high! But for the great
    I played Suikoden V in 2013 and it's still a great game to play.

Pro:

Great Story!
    Good Characters
    Feels like Suikoden 1 and 2

Contra:
    No Map, wtf? Makes the game very uncomfortable.
    The amount of encounters is too damn high... way too high!

But for the great story it's still worth playing it and in my opinion better than Final Fantasy X.
  4. Jul 28, 2013
    Suikoden V refresh the series, and bring now interesting features in combat system, and the return of great size of the party of the Suikoden I & II. The history and characters are great, but in general, Suikoden III did better. But this game have its flaws, like level 1 starting weapon for all characters and boring loading times before random battles.
  5. Dec 24, 2012
    I have loved all the Suikoden games; I have the first thru the fifth. And especially like the game play and the characters in THIS one. Like that you can make orbs and build your skills(great touch). There really isn't anything i don't like about this game. The characters have personalities and a great range of individuality. Enjoy the battles too. Rune archers, infantry, calvary and lotsI have loved all the Suikoden games; I have the first thru the fifth. And especially like the game play and the characters in THIS one. Like that you can make orbs and build your skills(great touch). There really isn't anything i don't like about this game. The characters have personalities and a great range of individuality. Enjoy the battles too. Rune archers, infantry, calvary and lots more. Sea and land battles that you have to use your head to win.

Shopping, treasures, trading, prizes for winning battles and alot more pleasant surprises on your journeys, this games the game worth it. If you decide to get this game in my opinion you won't be disappointed.

This game has the old school charm of Suikoden 1 & 2. Unfortunately it has the old school camera angle. It's not that the graphics are bad, it's just that at the 3/4 angle view It's kind of hard to see the detail. You can zoom up, but then it's hard to get a view of your surroundings. Plus the non-cinematic cut scenes are in the wide angle.

My biggest compliment: Replay value

After obtaining all 108 stars of destiny and playing around with some of the more interesting characters, I clocked in about 62 hours with this game. However, it should be noted that I played 40 of those hours in the matter of one week (and i'm a guy who played Persona 4 for a year)! Suikoden 5 is INCREDIBLY addicting and if you are in the middle of a relationship or attending school at this time, I DON'T recommend you dive into this game right now. Just make sure you get copy though! Who knows how high the price may inflate in the future? PS2 games are hard to find because Sony still doesn't want to bring them out on PS3 or higher systems.

Drawbacks:
    Tons of cutscenes (like the first Xenosaga)
    Some of the areas have bad music
    Load times can be bad (I guess this might not be a problem in the future with a digital version not on DVD)
    The story takes some time to pick up

Conclusion: If you are tired of Final Fantasy and all the clones, gives Suiko5 a try. It's not a dungeon crawler; it's not an anime music disguised as a game (looking at you, Xenosaga 1). btw, please leave a review once you play this and please DO give the 108 stars of Destiny a try. That's 70 solid hours of gameplay right there.

1. A very average to mediocre game that’s held together by a good story and cast. [JPN Import]
    A welcome return to form for the series. Even the plot revolves around minor characters from "Suikoden II," and the loading screens show the game's characters as they would have been rendered in a 32-bit sprite style, as if Konami is apologizing for the turns taken after that era.
  3. Suikoden V is easily twice as long as the next-longest title in the series, a length it achieves not with filler dungeons and needlessly frequent battles, but by sheer weight of story. [Apr 2006, p.57]