6.6

1. Apr 11, 2015
    for some reason, someone decided it would be a good idea to go even farther away from spyro's original roots and make this game. there are some good things about this game, its functional, the dialogue is done pretty well and is well voice acted, the story is pretty good, but the gameplay is very repetitive and boring. it turned what use to be a platformer into a sort of beat em up kind offor some reason, someone decided it would be a good idea to go even farther away from spyro's original roots and make this game. there are some good things about this game, its functional, the dialogue is done pretty well and is well voice acted, the story is pretty good, but the gameplay is very repetitive and boring. it turned what use to be a platformer into a sort of beat em up kind of game, well it doesn't really fit with a genre and that's the biggest problem, the game dosnt know what it is at all Expand
  2. Apr 5, 2015
    I can see why people hate this game, but I like change if it's done correctly and well, this game is really good, instead of a collect-a-thon we have a Beat-em-up, Spyro like in Enter the Dragonfly has new breaths, Fire, Electricity, Ice and Earth, all 4 feel very useful in their own situations and neither outclass each other, there's also Convexity which is only used at the end boss, II can see why people hate this game, but I like change if it's done correctly and well, this game is really good, instead of a collect-a-thon we have a Beat-em-up, Spyro like in Enter the Dragonfly has new breaths, Fire, Electricity, Ice and Earth, all 4 feel very useful in their own situations and neither outclass each other, there's also Convexity which is only used at the end boss, I also like how some enemies resist one element while vulnerable to another. The game looks really good and I enjoy the gameplay, I also like Cynder in this game a lot, she's badass when you see her fly around in the distance.

The only downsides are...
    If you expect this to be like an old school Spyro game, it isn't and you properly won't like it.
    The game can become very linear.
    If you replay the game you cannot skip the tutorials for the new elements, which is very annoying.
    Very easy.
    The guardian dragons except Ignitus are pointless and add nothing besides teaching Spyro.
    Sparx...

Overall it's a good game.
  3. Feb 25, 2014
    I like this game, its really good because of the way they rebooted the story, added melee combat and added new breath attacks. Some the disadvantages of this game are that there aren't enough flying levels, you aren't allowed to visit previous levels like in the old spyro games and there aren't enough vehicles for spyro to control but overall I think the game is good and the replay valueI like this game, its really good because of the way they rebooted the story, added melee combat and added new breath attacks. Some the disadvantages of this game are that there aren't enough flying levels, you aren't allowed to visit previous levels like in the old spyro games and there aren't enough vehicles for spyro to control but overall I think the game is good and the replay value is alright. Expand
  4. Feb 21, 2014
    I love spyro, this is a refreshing game with the origin of my favorite purple dragon. Its not AS good as the original playstation games but its still a cute game.
  5. Feb 3, 2013
    probably one of the better spyro games to play but not as good as the PS1 spyro games. But anything it was very intertaing with David Spade as Sparks and Eligha Wood as Spyro both funny and entertaing people.
  6. Aug 31, 2012
    it isn´t as good as the old spyro games, but it has good graphics, good story, a great score, and a good voice cast, but the game play and combat are sometimes repetitive and tedious
  7. Jul 25, 2011
    This is a Spyro game that any fan of the fantasy genre will love. This game is not meant to be the old Spyro, so expecting that is kind of like thinking you're going to get vanilla ice cream and get chocolate instead. But it's a good game. The story is far deeper and has a lot of focus. The gameplay, while simple compared to certain other beat 'em ups, is good and useful. The ElementalThis is a Spyro game that any fan of the fantasy genre will love. This game is not meant to be the old Spyro, so expecting that is kind of like thinking you're going to get vanilla ice cream and get chocolate instead. But it's a good game. The story is far deeper and has a lot of focus. The gameplay, while simple compared to certain other beat 'em ups, is good and useful. The Elemental attacks you have are Fire, Electricity, Ice and Earth. You have a primary breath attack, and a secondary special attack for specific purposes. You also get an extremely powerful Fury attack which will decimate most enemies around you except bosses. They still take heavy damage, though. The musical score is very fitting, albeit few tracks are truly memorable. The voice acting is great and the sound effects are good. The enemy roster is somewhat varied, but the positioning of the enemies is not used to it's full potential. All in all, this is a great game with a few flaws. Despite that, it's a must-buy game for any fan of fantasy games or simply good, unique and memorable games. This is nearly worthy of being called a Classic. Expand
  8. Apr 13, 2011
    A New Beginning falls flat on its face, its ugly face. Pros: Graphics, visuals, and sound effects. Cons: Generic, formulaic, and the new design may repel familiar gamers even more than Enter the Dragonfly did.
  9. Ghostreviewer
    Nov 13, 2007
    I know many people bash Spyro and his games today and quite frankly I can't blame them. As a fan of the PSone era Spyro games, never have I seen a series fall from greatness this hard since the downward spiral of the Sonic series. The bombs that were Enter the Dragonfly and A Heroe's Tale spelt a dim future for this franchise. This is why I was surprised that I genuinely enjoyed I know many people bash Spyro and his games today and quite frankly I can't blame them. As a fan of the PSone era Spyro games, never have I seen a series fall from greatness this hard since the downward spiral of the Sonic series. The bombs that were Enter the Dragonfly and A Heroe's Tale spelt a dim future for this franchise. This is why I was surprised that I genuinely enjoyed A New Beginning.The plot was actually good and the production values made it feel more like a CG movie(especially with Elijah Wood as Spyro's voice, great cast). Although Spyro is not back on top yet, he can get their if Krome studios could polish the gameplay (minor camera issues and repetative fighting controls that make it feel like more of a brawler than a platformer). Thank you Krome studios, for giving me faith in one of my childhood icons again. Collapse
  10. KazR.
    Feb 17, 2007
    Nowhere near as good as the old Spyro games. We hated it, too repetitive, too much fighting the same enemies over and over again. No adventure, no collecting gems etc.
  11. TJBrode
    Dec 21, 2006
    It may have been just the game i rented, but i doubt it. The game played horribly overall. I just can't see this game getting much more than a 3. Nice graphics though.

#47 Most Discussed PS2 Game of 2006
#47 Most Shared PS2 Game of 2006

1. Play Magazine
    With any luck Krome's overhaul will prove lucrative enough to warrant them continuing the brand, flying Spyro into next-gen skies and who knows, perhaps a veritable rebirth. [Oct. 2006, p.54]
  2. Unfortunately, the entire affair is filled with repeated waves of what amount to the exact same enemies, and it doesn’t take long for boredom to set in.
  3. A series of well-done flying sequences bridge the game's various stages, and the shifting of gears is very much welcome after an extended series of brawls.