7.3

1. ThomasK.
    Jan 4, 2007
    Wow. Just - WOW. I can NOT believe how much Neversoft have messed this game up. I'm pretty sure the 360 and PS3 versions are better, but the PS2 version is a laughing stock, maybe even more than K-bloody-Fed! Remember when there was a tiff over the graphics between the Xbox and PS2, then it were forgotten? Well, this game will remind you of those times. The whole thing just looks Wow. Just - WOW. I can NOT believe how much Neversoft have messed this game up. I'm pretty sure the 360 and PS3 versions are better, but the PS2 version is a laughing stock, maybe even more than K-bloody-Fed! Remember when there was a tiff over the graphics between the Xbox and PS2, then it were forgotten? Well, this game will remind you of those times. The whole thing just looks shabby. The new slow-motion board thing, or whatever the hell it's called, is OK, but when it's placed in this game, well, so what, you know what I mean? Create-A-Park: gone. Create-A-Tag: M.I.A. (my creativeness slowly wanes...) Create-A-Skater: the less said about this the better. The soundtrack? Worst yet, and that's with SLAYER on it!! Don't get me wrong, Slayer rule, but 'Angel Of Death' deserves more than to be on this. The Career and Free Skate modes are puerile as well. Career bored me within three hours, because a) the goals are too diverse for thier own good, and who wants to improve their grade for that one extra ranking spot? Not me. b) The cut-scenes and story are laughable, no depth or engaging moments. Like sitting through the movie Catch Me If You Can. With more wood; and c) Stokens? STOKENS? Oh no mate, you gotta be kidding me! Free Skate? Pffft. So I suppose that goes away with online play? Ooops...no online. I mean, WHAT? In summary, this game is absolute rubbish and deserves all bad things and accolades coming. I would give this 0/10, but I'm giving this 2 marks. Why, you ask? a) This game taught me never to belive the hype, and b) This game taught me to appreciate the "Jackass" elements in previous installments, because, no matter how lame they may be, they still made THUG great. I don't know why either. One more thing: if games in general slack off on the PS2 and XBox versions as THP8 did (God forbid), the PS2's demise will be undeservedly unnoticed. I think I'll go play THUG2 again while I await the inevitable. Let it go out with a bang. Expand
  2. LividFiction
    Nov 26, 2006
    If I had to choose between THUG and THP8, I'd choose THUG without a doubt: Even though THUG was a stale experience, THP8

#84 Most Discussed PS2 Game of 2006
#62 Most Shared PS2 Game of 2006

1. The gameplay and controls are solid, and the Nail the Trick mode is a fantastic addition. If you haven’t selected a Next Generation system yet, you might be able to squeak by on this last title, but it is really time to retire the PS2 versions of this series.
  2. A good port of the next-generation version. It keeps the solid gameplay and manages to introduce “nail the trick” and focus mode to the mix. As expected there are some concessions. The graphics are noticeably worse, the motion capture animation system is gone, the streaming world is gone, and inexplicably the online multiplayer is gone, too.
    The level design is mediocre and the stripping of features is unacceptable. Nail the Trick is not particularly exciting on current-gen consoles and has been made too simplistic. Worst of all is the changes to manuals, which is completely unwarranted.