8.8

1. Oct 6, 2013
    This is a bit old but i want to register.
    Battles are good and dinamics, history is good, but not a continue from the last one and the way you fight bosses is a bit frustrating. I remember that even with a guide, that pointed me which boss i would face, i was not able to find the components to built items/weapon to help in the fight, and when i was able, it really didnt helped a lot.

It follow the same line of gameplay and battle as the STAR OCEAN LAST HOPE.

The overall of this game is ok, but not exceptional. How they portable this one with theright modifications.
  2. Aug 23, 2013
    Valkyrie Profile Silmeria has an awesome and deep battle system with lot of possibilities. Graphics are fabulous and the OST has many good tracks in it. Great game with a great battle system.
  3. Aug 18, 2012
    This game is probably one of the most clever RPG's I've ever played. It makes you think it's a prequel, but then there's all these twists in the plot that make you question the validity of that. These twists are what basically make the story so great in the first place. The music, again composed by Motoi Sakuraba, is fantastic, the graphics are gorgeous, and the combat is addicting. My only concern is that the character design, though meticulously detailed, is very wooden because the lip-synching is just terrible. Other than that, if you loved the first Valkyrie Profile, you're definitely gonna love this game. Expand
  4. Feb 15, 2011
    Along with Okami, Odin Sphere, and Final Fantasy X, this is one of the most visually stunning games to come out for the PS2, or for any system, last or current gen. It's also really refreshing to see side scrolling brought back to the front burner like this. A wonderful throwback to the old school days, but still feels fresh and precise by modern standards. The music is also terrific, impressively ranging from stirring, Celtic village themes to the haunting, minimalistic sounds of a possessed woods or serpentine cavern.

Getting to everything else, however, the praise begins to thin out. The battle system (the backbone of any RPG), while not without merit, is too easily gamed through repetitive, cookie-cutter tactics. I got to a point eventually where I could win just about any battle by simply breaking off a member of my group, placing him or her behind my enemy, and leading it around in circles to keep my attack gauge full and avoid hits. Some people argue that if a game has an easily exploitable flaw like this, you should just not use it and enjoy the game in a you-know-what-they-were-trying-to-get-at kind of way, but that doesn't make sense to me. That's like saying you should ignore bad acting in a film because you know they were actually trying to give a good performance. Games are judged by the depth and completeness of their design. That's their commodity. If the flaw is there, I'm going to exploit it.

The story, too, is a bit lacking. Not terrible, but it takes too long to get to the major turns. And the dialogue is a bit Final Fantasy 4-ish, with hot-headed, 1D characters who form inextricable bonds over one firelit night at camp, but still retain a petty, soap opera bend to their interactions. That would have been fine in 1991, but at the tail end of the PS2 era, it feels stale and trite. The voice acting, too, while overall pretty acceptable, is at times laughably bad, almost in a good way. Especially some of the battle chatter from Lezard. Sometimes it was hard to tell whether they were being facetious or not. I say not, but I still got a laugh out of some of it, so I guess it's kind of a wash. Overall, a game that's just kind of all over the place. Terrific, Good, OK, and sometimes Pretty Bad. But mostly, it's just Pretty Good. I finished it at a fairly good clip, never really felt bored even when I knew the battles were a foregone win, and always enjoyed what I was seeing and hearing. I just wish they'd done something about that running around in circles thing.

When it's all said and done, Silmeria is a fantastic RPG and a proud trophy that the Playstation 2 will display as one of the finest "farewell" games. Fans of the series will surely rekindle their love for the Norse-inspired tale of redemption, and the game more than provides on the fan-front.
  2. At a length of about thirty hours, the game may be considered short by epic RPG standards, but it also makes the game that much more replayable. [JPN Import]
  3. Finally, a Japanese role-playing game for everyone who hates how talky and slow-moving the genre has become--Silmeria thrusts you into an action-packed quest laden with complex dungeons, tricky puzzles, and plenty of intense, strategic combat. [Sept. 2006, p.104]