9.0

1. Mar 4, 2013
    This series was one of the few games that I've ever actually felt was damn near a "2nd job". Slogging through the 3 games was something that I never knew I was going to end up doing when I played the first one. Constantly mired in endless cutscenes and cinematics, it almost felt like I was more of playing a mini-game during a very preachy, self-absorbed story line. The constant referencesThis series was one of the few games that I've ever actually felt was damn near a "2nd job". Slogging through the 3 games was something that I never knew I was going to end up doing when I played the first one. Constantly mired in endless cutscenes and cinematics, it almost felt like I was more of playing a mini-game during a very preachy, self-absorbed story line. The constant references to philosophy and such doesn't make a game "smart", it makes it pretentious at best. This all combined with a nerfy combat system just didn't do it for me. Yes, Kos-Mos is an awesome character, but even her attacks left me wanting more. Expand

#30 Most Discussed PS2 Game of 2006
#69 Most Shared PS2 Game of 2006

1. Considering that Namco Bandai Games and Monolith Soft originally intended Xenosaga to be a six-part story, this third and final episode manages to efficiently cap the vast majority of unanswered questions and plotlines from the first and second games.
  2. While these days many RPGs are attempting to change the old-school formula and divorce themselves from traditional RPG lineage, XS EP3 stays true to the formula but through fantastic dungeons, two great and very different battle systems, and a fast-paced 30 hour adventure that’s lacking in filler (so you basically get the same story that’d be in a 60-70 hour normal RPG with random filler plots), it creates a game that’s every bit as fresh as the best non-traditional RPGs. [JPN Import]
  3. Game Informer
    Xenosaga Episode III has many more successes than failures. But taken in context with the trilogy as a whole, Episode III is the worthy conclusion to an epic that I hadn't dared hope it could be. [Sept. 2006, p.90]