6.8

1. Jul 4, 2012
    Where to begin? Overall, AH is a few good things amongst a cluster of horrid, great plane customization, damn good graphics and attention to detail in terms of plane design, decent online(though nobody plays it anymore), and that's about it for the pros. It's pathetic that they had to boost the maneuverability of every plane in this game, the simple change of how planes handle is a majorWhere to begin? Overall, AH is a few good things amongst a cluster of horrid, great plane customization, damn good graphics and attention to detail in terms of plane design, decent online(though nobody plays it anymore), and that's about it for the pros. It's pathetic that they had to boost the maneuverability of every plane in this game, the simple change of how planes handle is a major hit to this game, everything but the MiG-21 and the attacker aircraft feels like a complete roller coaster. As for the helicopters, they suffer from seriously poor physics(aka none) and aren't even fun to compensate. Door-gunner and AC-130 missions are an embarrassment, and the bomber mission is basically tap circle as fast as possible. Story is uninspired and riddled with plot holes, forgettable characters, no enemy ace squadrons or named aces in each level, no wingman control, and briefings are done well but there are maybe 2 or 3 for the entire game. Every air-to-air mission(about 70% of the game) turns into an endless DFM-chain, and there are only 3 ground attack missions, I question why they even added in attacker aircraft to this game if you can't use them for anything other than ONE level. Yes you read right, you can't even use whatever plane you wish, you're restricted to classes, this is such a stupid decision. The story is just embarrassingly bad, cliche, and riddled with plotholes. Missions really kill this game, too many air-air missions where DFM gets tedious paired with random side missions that seem like filler ruin this game. The best part of this game are the multirole and attacker missions, and that's it, everything else is too on-rails. Honorable mention of dodging radar cones at the beginning over the bomber mission though, felt like a throwback to dodging lazers in earlier Ace Combats. Horrible game though, only redeeming factors are the graphics, custom schemed planes. The online is buggy with DFM, you can engage people at crazy angles due to lag. I have an amazing connection and still experienced problems with the angles even when playing as host. I don't rate games in the red just because I don't like them, this game really is a 4 Expand
  2. Nov 16, 2011
    I would hesitate to call this an Ace Combat game. Not just because it's bad and I would prefer to divorce its identity from the franchise, but because it really is nothing like any of the other Ace Combat games.

Do you enjoy flight games? Well, this isn't one of those. Oh sure, it has airplanes, but you don't actually do much direct controlling of them. The majority of the game is played in "Dogfight Mode" which is not as exciting as it sounds. In "DFM", the system takes over most of the flying for you, leaving you to -- well, marketing would say "focus on the fight", but in reality it's "focus on just holding down the guns and pressing the missile button when prompted to". Oh, didn't we mention? The game features quicktime events prominently.

Nevermind the bland gameplay, the story is terrible. It leaves the wonderful Strangereal world behind in favour of...this subpar, generic, straight-up-meh experience.

There is NOTHING of Ace Combat here. But even if it didn't share the name, even if it were a game striking out on its own for the first time, there's just nothing to like here. The highpoint of Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War truly is behind us.

This game is an ungodly morass of incompetence.
  3. Jan 2, 2012
    Whee, a flight game where you don't even fly. On-rails "flight" game. Awesome. All it asks you to do ever is hold down the gun button and occasionally fire a missile. Absolute garbage.
  4. Nov 4, 2011
    First of all this is not an Ace Combat game. This should be immediately inherent if you even look at the box never mind play the game. Everything that made the Ace Combat games great, ridiculous plot lines, over the top characters, and best of all giant enemy super-weapons that looked as if they were designed by a sci-fi writer on LSD, all of it is absent from this game. Namco Bandai haveFirst of all this is not an Ace Combat game. This should be immediately inherent if you even look at the box never mind play the game. Everything that made the Ace Combat games great, ridiculous plot lines, over the top characters, and best of all giant enemy super-weapons that looked as if they were designed by a sci-fi writer on LSD, all of it is absent from this game. Namco Bandai have apparently observed that "Oh stories about the american army killing terrorists and rebels are doing well, lets get rid of our whole fictional world and just plant this game in a Modern Warfare setting because maybe people who buy those games will buy ours then even though dedicated fans will probably hate what we've turned the series into. Oh well." Ok maybe assault horizon isn't the first Ace Combat game to do it but lets be honest not that many people played joint assault.
    Ending the rant this game is nothing but a quick-time event version of H.A.W.X. with slightly more realism (slightly). The gunship missions are ok but the door gunner missions are just a standard vehicle section from any FPS and there is only one bomber mission and one AC-130 mission in the whole game though undoubtedly if youve ever played a Modern Warfare game you've seen all the depth AC-130 mission has to offer.
    Online play is alright but its pretty obvious that this game was tailored more towards the multi-player side than anything else leaving the campaign pretty stale and boring. The new "Dogfight Mode" takes all the challenge out of the game as it offers to fly the plane for you while you chase and enemy with a little circle for a few minutes and activating DFM at all can result in your plane regularly defying the laws of physics.

To sum it up this game was built for people who've never played ace combat before and believe gaming began with Call of Duty. Baby's First Flying game would be the best phrase to describe it. This piece of cash-in garbage doesn't deserve to have Ace Combat in its title. Feel free to buy it if you are quite happy to pay £40 to watch shiny explosions and pretty landscapes with no game play or coherent story.
  5. Dec 14, 2011
    A total departure from the other games. Where before the player had complete freedom to choose their aircraft and play style, now they're relegated to mandatory aircraft for certain missions. Likewise with the addition of Dogfight Mode, most of the game occurs in a sort of rail shooter game that is generally incredibly easy and only ever becomes difficult when the game introduces sillyA total departure from the other games. Where before the player had complete freedom to choose their aircraft and play style, now they're relegated to mandatory aircraft for certain missions. Likewise with the addition of Dogfight Mode, most of the game occurs in a sort of rail shooter game that is generally incredibly easy and only ever becomes difficult when the game introduces silly mechanics like boss enemies being able to essentially fire backwards, or enemies that continue flying even after being killed so they can crash spectacularly into a pre-planned area all seems to be done with the intent of wrenching control from the player.

This isn't even to begin talking about the sad sordid affair that are the gunner missions where the player isn't even flying an aircraft but instead is parked in the gunner seat for an unpleasantly long period of time. The helicopter missions are essentially just an FPS section with how they control with no real interaction with obstacles. These might be salvageable, but only with a fair deal more polish and resigning them to their own game.

The bomber missions were actually enjoyable for the most part, at the very least the player was in control of the aircraft for it.

In terms of story the game just plain falls flat. We've traded up amazing weapons like Stonehenge where you're dodging railgun shots and airburst detonations for instead tracking down the (not)nuclear bomb known as "Trinity". The characters are wooden with little personality between them and the rivalry is pointless.

For PS3 owners it's probably the best option for a flight game currently, but considering the only other options are HAWX and the upcoming Janes game this isn't exactly a high bar.
  6. Dec 26, 2012
    Fans of the franchise may be disappointed! While this game is mostly consistent with past installments of the series....it is VERY different in its limited controls. Even on the most difficult setting and having flight assist off, the game still controls a large part of the flying. On a banking turn you cannot pitch more then 90 degrees. If you find yourself upside down you can't turnFans of the franchise may be disappointed! While this game is mostly consistent with past installments of the series....it is VERY different in its limited controls. Even on the most difficult setting and having flight assist off, the game still controls a large part of the flying. On a banking turn you cannot pitch more then 90 degrees. If you find yourself upside down you can't turn over on your own, you have to release the analog stick and the game flips you over. While this franchise was never a true flight simulator, it at least gave you some arcade style control to allow you to roll and give chase however you saw fit.

The new dogfight mode (DFM) is a little fun at first, but it gets old quick. It's also too easy to initiate dogfight mode, and considering it keeps you virtually glued to the tail of your target, makes it less challenging.
  7. Nov 18, 2013
    They Took away every thing that made the old ace combat games special. They added "airstrike" mode And "dogfight" modes wich Took away most of the challenge in the game. Terrible reboot.
  8. Dec 1, 2013
    I gave this a shot because I all the other games were amazing. First thing I noticed was all the controls were different so I had to change them all back. Also the game basically implores you to do its new dog fighting thing which takes away everything the old games had to offer. I played this game for 3 days and basically said no thank you and returned it.

The storyline was utter

The storyline was utter rubbish compared to the previous games. This really felt more like playing Call of Duty than Ace Combat. I would not wish this game upon anybody.
  9. Nov 4, 2014
    The only thing that stopped me from giving this game a lower rating was the simply fact that they don't have many flying games around, especially with modern planes. The series is an awesome one, but the last two titles they released have been the worst of the series by far. I wouldn't play this game if it was given to me for free, unfortunately I wasted money buying it without doing someThe only thing that stopped me from giving this game a lower rating was the simply fact that they don't have many flying games around, especially with modern planes. The series is an awesome one, but the last two titles they released have been the worst of the series by far. I wouldn't play this game if it was given to me for free, unfortunately I wasted money buying it without doing some researching before hand. Shame on me for assuming this game would of been great, since the graphic advancement I wanted so badly to play this game on PS3.

The horrible thing is the DFM(Dog fighting mode) which on bosses means you have to get close to them to enter this mode and it just ruined it. I mean why would you tamper with a game which has been dominating flight games since PS1. I just don't get it, and for that I'd honestly have to say don't even bother playing this game. While the graphics are amazing, the game just is crap and they shouldn't of introduced that into a game, or rather they should of at least given an option to disable it if you didn't want to play with it on.
  10. Feb 22, 2015
    I played Ace Combat 4 and 5 and this game was a HUGE disappointment. What happened to the epic story line? There is no Razgriz or Stonehenge and no epic boss fights. What happened to AWACS? And the chatter of enemy and friendly planes on the radio? Dogfight mode was a feature that was cool at first but gets extremely repetitive after a dozen times or so. Did I mention that you are forcedI played Ace Combat 4 and 5 and this game was a HUGE disappointment. What happened to the epic story line? There is no Razgriz or Stonehenge and no epic boss fights. What happened to AWACS? And the chatter of enemy and friendly planes on the radio? Dogfight mode was a feature that was cool at first but gets extremely repetitive after a dozen times or so. Did I mention that you are forced to use dogfight mode to take down bosses? That's right, you can't shoot them down with missiles. Campaign was bland and you won't remember any of it. I didn't care for the main character and just wanted to get it over it. Multiplayer is what saved this game from me giving it a lower score. Expand
  11. Oct 12, 2015
    Story line was a huge disappointment compared to Ace Combat 4 or Ace Combat 5. Gameplay gets really repetitive with dogfight mode. Multiplayer was okay. Graphics were okay but if you are expecting something like the older games of the series, this game isn't for you and I learned the hard way.

1. Playstation Official Magazine Australia
    Mar 6, 2012
    In real-life, dog fighting is an elite, Darwinian art form. Here it's often the digital equivalent of school kids running in circles with paper planes, screeching "Nuh uh! I shot you!" [Dec 2011, p72]
  2. Play UK
    Nov 18, 2011
    For about an hour Ace Combat: Assault Horizon will feel like the most exciting game you've ever played. [Issue#211, p.90]
  3. PSM3 Magazine UK