6.7

1. Dec 17, 2013
    This game is not as bad as people say. The gameplay isn't bad at all, you can choose your own game style and it works. The story is good but the cutscenes are so static and the voice acting so robotic that it's extremely boring to watch. This is what makes the game feel too long. The best thing though is the rpg elements. You can choose abilities when you level up and your chooses really make a big difference in how you play the game. It's even a game you could replay, first in action then in stealth for example. Expand
  2. Jan 24, 2012
    Alpha protocol is a decent, yet broken experience of a game, that had the potential to be far better, given time. It's a espionage rpg, that borrows from mass effect, but never ones close to the kind of feel you would be looking for. The story is good, the graphics are decent even if the frame rate stutters now and again, the intros are flawed, and not as fluid as you would like, and the whole stealth element is slightly broken. The major problem is the fact that the game is riddled with glitches, and bugs that dampen the whole experience.

The game is interesting, and manages to keep you going to the end, but after this I would never go back for a second attempt, if they get round to another attempt, their is a formul here that be majorly overhauled for a greater experience.
  3. Jul 23, 2011
    This is by far one of the worst games I have ever played in this generation of gaming. First of all the game is filled with graphical bugs that you would have think the development team would have noticed from day one, why it was released in this state is beyond me. Honestly everything in this game is subpar from the AI, rpg mechanics, controls, weapons, linear level design and much more. The saving grace to this game is the storyline.The dialouge is simply wonderful and the story might be enough to keep some playing this game but me personally I found the entire experience a turnoff. Expand
  4. Feb 15, 2014
    this game has a really hard opening level in which you have to hack computers and get out. the hacking is the hard part. you have 20 seconds to connect all of the lines up together, it sounds simple, but in fact, its not. through the game you go through 'interactive conversations' with people. mostly, i execute the people straight away. but the bad parts are the ridiculously inaccurate guns, making a battle with a boss 10 times harder. and one particular boss charges your position occasionally with a knife! so, apart from the rubbish aiming and that one annoying boss, alpha protocol is ok. Expand
  5. Sep 8, 2011
    Alpha Protocol has got to be one of the most awful RPGs for the PS3. Seriously. Where shall I begin? Okay, this game is a humiliating failed-attempt to imitate Mass Effect by allowing players choices in conversation and gameplay. There is no innovation but it's poorly implemented instead. Voice acting is horrible, characters are generic and unoriginal. The main character looks like a dope!! You can't really customise his look besides his hair and skin colour, so you'll be stuck playing this unlikable, generic-looking guy. What the h*ll?? In terms of the gameplay,the combat isn't fluid. Guns are ineffective and enemy Ai are awful, probably as bad as Tomb Raider's combat gameplay. And don't get me started with the hacking mechanics. The story is very basic and you don't really get interested in what's going on because of the poor gamplay, poor characters and mediocre storyline and you just want to run through this game as quick as possible to end this ordeal. Graphics are alright but nothing special and I guarantee, if you have been playing RPGs, you will be dead bored with Alpha Protocol. I feel totally embarrassed to have the AP listed in my trophy list. To Obsidian and Sega, this product of yours is an EMBARRASSMENT!! Which makes you guys a joke! You hear that? hah... a joke...... Expand
  6. Jul 1, 2011
    I'll make this short and sweet: Alpha Protocol "might" have been well-intentioned BUT caveat emptor BUYER BEWARE! This "game" is supposed to be an RPG with action-elements but after having repeated freezing, weird graphical anomalies, poor collision, extremely unbalanced BOSS fights, and just plain ol' sh#t-on-a-stick gameplay, Alpha Protocol trudges very close to "shovelware" and "coaster-of-the-decade territory. . . . -Tried playing this on both systems and encountered bugs aplenty. And, after nearly one year since its launch, there has not been (for this PS3 version at any rate) any patches nor is there any DLC to make it more playable. The devs at OBSIDIAN have suggested, in a recent interview following the launch of their latest opus Dungeon Siege III, that they'd LIKE to make a sequel to Alpha Protocol. . . Hope not. That would mean we'd, likely, have two versions of Alpha Protocol to toss in the garbage. Expand
  7. Oct 22, 2013
    WOW is this game a broken piece of crap!!! awful story,broken gameplay and poor graphics keep this disaster on the worst games ever list.bugs bugs bugs everywhere.
  8. Mar 22, 2011
    This game is kind of a strange beast. It's an Obsidian game, made by a developer that knows a thing or two about RPGs, but it's production values are a little off. Textures loading in menus and in maps and odd little things here and there. Strangely, it doesn't seem to bother me. The shooting is "stats" based, so you'll only be a good shot if you put points into that skill . . . like and RPG, right? You can move between missions (all of them varied and fun), form alliances with strange characters, and effect the plot and gameplay with your choices. Navigation is easy, the story's fun - this game's a class act. Just a little . . . "odd". It came out in the summer, these days you can pick up a new copy on ebay for less than 20 bucks (like most of Sega's 2010 published games). At sub-twenty bucks, you can't afford to miss this one. Definitely a fun time to be had until this year's heavy hitters are released in 4th quarter. Recommended. Expand
  9. Feb 6, 2013
    I personally really enjoyed this game. It made me think which I found a little bit frusterating at first but once I got used to the game I flew right through it. I thought it had a great story and every decision you make is a big part of the story. I replay and replay this game over and over again and if you give it a chance you will enjoy it. Thats alot coming from me because the only other rpg game I've gotten this interested in was Biowares Star Wars: Knights of the old republic. I hope they make a sequel soon. Expand
  10. Jan 23, 2013
    I am 1/2 way through this game. I love it but I had to stop playing it for now...

The gameplay is soo clunky and awful. It's like GTA but it's not a sandbox. I understand it's an rpg but not being able to shoot unless you have aimed for a full 5 seconds is ridiculous. I put all my points in hand pistols but it still takes forever. I started the original deus ex the other day for the
    first time ...that is the original rpg/shooter/stealth/story game....and in that game..when you specialise your skills in a certain area...it makes a much bigger difference...about half the time for the aiming reciticle to focus. That is a good balance.
    On the other end of the spectrum you go from not being able to shoot to being overpowered by turning invisible...which you can use repeatedly once the short cooldown timer is finished.
    The level design is severely limited..and linear...you can't really use hacking skills & picklocking to bypass enemies. Even fallout 3 does this better.
    Enemy bodies disappear... which is silly for a stealth game.
    However the story is awesome. Conversations options, decisions, weather someone likes or dislikes you and who to kill or save change future missions, conversations and outcomes. Even actual gameplay chances..small things that make the game so much more engaging and immersive.
    If you can get past the gameplay shortcomings you will love this game.
  11. Feb 14, 2011
    Whenever the words 'RPG' are mentioned my ears prick up. Likewise the whole spy caper makes me want to get my game on and looking at this title made me think this was going to be the game for me. How wrong was I. Firstly, my gripes with this game have absolutely nothing to do with its apparent antiquated feel. I mean I'm quite happy to play games where the storytelling and general novelty of a game overrides the lack of graphical superiority - take Fallout: New Vegas for example, the bugs and glitches in this game irritated me but the carefully crafted universe and story transcends all that. Alpha Protocol represent the other half of that particular coin: the protagonist is such a complete schizophrenic windbag that when combined with the mostly unengaging and lacklustre storyline, it makes you wish that he had overdosed on the sedatives at the beginning of the game. The shooting and stealth aspects are clunky and poorly implemented, which is a bad sign considering the majority of the game is based on these two foundations. Coupled with the glitches, shoddy AI behaviour and cumbersome interface, it's one to be left gathering dust on the shelf.
    One of the largest problems I have with this game is the fact it's even considered an RPG. It seems that the tacking on of a rudimentary skill tree seems to make up the bulk of what makes this an 'RPG' and aside from stealth and toughness, they are only to upgrade weapon efficiency.
    I approached this game with minimal expectation and didn't expect it to completely 'wow' me, but I was unprepared for this sad excuse for a video game. If you are inclined to purchase and/or play this game, be ready to sacrifice a small part of your soul.
  12. Mar 10, 2011
    The game is bad-ass. That's really all there is to say. If you like "The Bourne Identity" and rpg's this game will be a blast from start to finish. I'm not joking, this game just missed me giving it a 10. I docked a half point for screen tearing during cut-scenes and another half for the save system. That's really the only two flaws in the game.

Don't be a tool and listen to the bad
    press around this game, it doesn't add up. I don't know how Mass Effect 2 can be praised as the next coming and this game sh*t on so hard. It's ludicrous, it's wrong, it's ****ed up.

So without further ado:

"Dear Internet, please shut the **** up. Sincerely, Michael Thorton."
  13. Nov 16, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Ok so if you're checking out this game, you're probably either scouring through the bargain bin at Gamestop or found a copy on Ebay for a few dollars but don't want to have a big pile of dung as a result. I'll make this real simple....

If you're a fan of the Bourne series, James Bond or just enjoy the thought of playing a game as a rogue secret agent, pick this up. If you don't fit into the above categories, this game probably isn't for you. Most of what the negative reviews say is true. The graphics & sound are ps2 era. The ai is god awful. Controls are horrible. There's more to be sure but by now you should have pretty low expectations & to enjoy this game, you'll need those.

Honestly, this is one of the 6 games I keep & never ever trade in. My others are assassins creed 2 & brotherhood, star wars force unleashed (first one), mass effect 2, & ratchet & clank 4. So you see I'm not some weirdo who only buys crap titles is the reason for my listing those.

So why play this? Well if you're looking here to begin with, you probably got sucked in with the, "Espionage RPG" line. It is an rpg, to be sure, as you choose a build for your character to suit your playstyle. Here's the thing...If you plan to do anything besides sneak around, taking dudes out silently one at a time, or sometimes not even taking dudes out at all, forget it. This isn't for you. And I'm not trying to be an elitist or anything, I'm just trying to save you some time & money.

If you're still reading at this point, something i've said has intrigued you so I'd recommend giving it a shot. Remember to temper expectations & be patient. It starts pretty slow & can be aggravating on anything but easy your first time around. It does get better as the story moves along. AP's biggest credit is the noon-tangible factor of immersion. I've never played a game, even the metal gears & splinter cells, that gave me that, "I'm a friggin spy!!!!" feeling like this does. I can't explain how it happens. Maybe the traveling over the globe, making alliances with shady characters to use them to your advantage, or the idea that its just you & your handler against the world. Whatever it is, it nails that feeling & keeps you hooked in spite of its many shortcomings.

Its a real shame it never got the attention from Obsidian that it deserved. Someone had a great idea for a story, incorporated some good ideas & then took a big dunk all over this title. AP does have a cult following however from those of us who love a good spy novel/flick so if you count yourself among those, join us.
  14. May 2, 2013
    First of... I like the game. I love the mix of playing a spy in a not always that serious popcorn movie like scenario. The freedom of going in stealth, gun's blazing, killing or only subduing, hacking your way thru or using gadgets, a story that develops based on your actions etc. etc. etc. really, if you like (spy) popcorn movies and characters that are stereotypic for this genre, then you are 100% right to play this game and have fun with it.
    Sure the tech is not always brilliant but if you play the game as it is meant to be played, then you will have a well satisfying experience. A mix of stealth, pistol and assault rifle shooting, hacking computers, cameras and turrets... all done pretty nicely. The enemy AI is sometimes not the best and will do the typical pop up behind cover "thing", but this is normal in such games and it is done as good as in almost every other title out there. Once an enemy hides behind cover, he often changes positions based on your actions, he can even attack you guns blazing if he knows where you are. So the AI takes into account what gadgets and weaponry you are using. Fire your pistol with a silencer mounted to its barrel and the AI will not notice where you are as long as you do not fire totally out in the open. Use subsonic rounds and you can even be stealthy using your assault rifle. Other enemies will find bodies if you have taken them out within their field of view. This can make it easy to take out several enemies in a row but can also get you into trouble if you do not have the right skills to hide behind cover or even out in the open. The shadow warrior skill is maybe a bit over the top and the evasion extra time too, but it is a nice way to get a whole room cleaned silently and stealthy. Use the shotgun, SMG or AR skills and you can do the same guns blazing too.
    The mini games for hacking computers and security terminals can get pretty tough to beat due to them doing a good job on not being too easy. They get harder the further the story goes and you can only make them easier by investing skill points in the right spots or by using gadgets that cost some money. Same for opening locks and safes... can get tricky to open these within a very short time limit.
    The story is pretty cool if you like the espionage action genre. It features all kinds of different characters which most are stereotypic and fitting their designed place perfectly. Based on your conversation skills the relationship between you and these characters develops and both sides, be it friendship or hatred, have their pros and cons and actually affect the story, your perks, your support options, intel given and equipment made available.
    So you can play the game in a dozen different ways. Either following the rules, act political correct or even not, spare enemies or kill them, blackmail or inform the press or sell information to the highest bidder... or do a planned or random mix of all this whenever you want to be the good or bad guy... almost everything has consequences... some events not sooner than till the end of the game and even during the credits rolling at which a news reporter is completing the few loose ends that you left by your decisions... and even these are 100% based on what you did, who you let live and who you let die during your playthrough.
    So to sum it up... a great game. Way underrated by the press. And with it being a very cheap deal in most shops out there now, one you really shouldn't miss!
  15. Oct 2, 2010
    Most reviews of this game made it sound so broken that you would not be able to play it. In actuality, this game is awesome. You really feel like a spy considering the fact that your choices play such an important role in the game. Even if you dress inappropriately, some of your contacts notice it. And the gameplay is awesome as well. The fact that you can customize your character really impacts what you can do during the game. YOu want to be a Jack Bauer guns blazing Bond type, you can. You want to be Solid Snake with a mix of Sam Fisher stealth, you can do that as well. Graphics is always mentioned as being sub-par in this game by many reviews to an equivalence of PS2. Wrong again. The graphics are plausible. If there is one complaint that keeps me from giving this game a perfect score, it would be that the camera can get a little annoying in some spots. But I don't think that this game should be missed. If you liked Mass Effects use of free choice during conversations, and the direct result of those choices during the game, then you will love this game. Expand
  16. Jan 18, 2011
    TYPE: 3rd Person Shooter, Stealth, RPG LENGTH: Walkthrough=15 Hours Seeing all of it=40 to 60 Hours 10 MOST IMPORTANT PARTS FOR THIS TYPE OF GAME (from 0 like pure crap to 10 like yeah): Story=10 Interacting with story=9 Atmosphere=8 Characters=9 Action=7 Tactics=8 "Feel" of Reality: Stealth=8 Shooting=5 Complete Gameplay=9 Graphics=6 Sound=7 The most important thing first: The game is much better than the most (in first point American) reviews let it seem. The story is great and takes a wonderful twist at the end - who doesn't understand it, should be more concentrated when playing a story-based game. It is very (very, very) critical against the American way of secret agencies, war and weapon handling. So maybe this is the cause, why American commentaries about this game are so more worse than European or Asian (Average American Score: around 60 percent Average European Score: around 80 percent). But that's not more than a feeling.....or not?
    The AI is not the best, but on the same hand not the worst. The enemies are hiding behind every corner, sometimes only showing their hair every 10 seconds to shoot right out of the corner. They are NOT running through doors, if they know that you are behind it. And they know it! The point in summary is that I don't see such a good AI very often. Yes, we all think that today's AI should be much better, but be honest - how many games have an AI that do more than enemy-hiding and using the best weapon for the situation? Our hopes for a great AI are too high for today's games, so let's wait for the next generation. We will get a realistic AI, believe me. But not now.
    And for the graphics: Yeah, they aren't good. But not important for this game. Much more it is the dialogue-system. And this one is really great and motivating. You can change the whole world (in the game) with only one answer, so pick wise! But nothing is right or wrong. For example: You can save a president of being shot or stop a riot, which would kill much more people. Ok, now you would take the riot, I know, I know...but if you learn to know for what this president stands what he does and what he is up to...see? The decision is hard. And the game is making it much harder and dynamic because you only have a few seconds time for every decision what you say or do - just like in real life. You also can be a friend (of a double) of Osama bin Laden and his taliban (called "Sheik Shaheed" and "Al Samad" in the game), or you just kill him at the first encounter. You have this decision right at the beginning and it changes the whole story afterwards, some missions can be played some not. Believe me, it's the best system so far!

SUMMARY: The game starts a bit slow and is not an eyecatcher, but the more you see of the game, the better it gets. (See the critic of James.L. - he has made a big mistake and review's a game after 3 hours) Once you played it through, you will play it another time........................................................................... and another time.......and another time. I didn't start a second playthrough so fast after the first one ever since. There is so much to see in this game. So if you like the scenario, buy it!
  17. Jul 10, 2011
    Alpha Protocol is basically Splinter Cell meets Mass Effect. For the majority of the game you will be infiltrating disparate locations and changing events through dialogue. How you do your infiltrating is wholly dependent on how you build your character. You can choose one of several classes with predetermined skill-sets ranging from a stealth based character to an outright trigger-happy power house or you can create your own class by choosing your own skills. I had fun with all of the classes, but found the stealth approach to be the most enjoyable. As for the dialogue portions of the game, I found them to be very engaging. Dialogue options never degenerate into, " Well....I'm a bad guy so I'll pick the bottom choice because that's what a bad guy would say." Instead, conversations become a game of manipulation in which you need to have a grasp on the game's story and a good read on the person you are talking to in order to gain any positive outcome. That's not to say there aren't hilarious moments when you can be a complete **** for no apparent reason, though.

I only have a few significant complaints with this game. There were a few bugs that I encountered all of which had to do with the AI in some way. I also wasn't blown away by the gun-play, which isn't bad by any means, but it is a little bland. The stealth has similar issues in that it isn't broken, but isn't exactly stellar either.

All-in-all I found Alpha Protocol to be an excellent game with a sum greater than its parts. It doesn't shoot right out at you with big production values, but that's not what makes me enjoy a video game. What I do enjoy is fun gameplay, engaging story and re-playability, which I feel are all covered by this game.
  18. Aug 16, 2011
    This game is literally one of my favorite games ever. A lot of people hate on this game for two reasons : 1)because it was mis-labelled a shooter first and RPG second, like some other extremely buggy (and massively overhyped) series out there. This is an RPG first, shooter second, much like Deus Ex. And 2) the first 40 minutes of the game aren't that great. After you leave the first set of missions, though, a rich cast of characters and settings open up to you.

The shooting is competent, but not stellar. What makes the gameplay shine is the various skills and gadgets you get, and how you learn eventually to fit all these different tricks together into different strategies, like instantly freezing time and headshoting a boss, or creeping through an area and punching everyone in the throat in front of their best friends because you are invisible.

The real meat of the game is the story and interactions. The game forces you into some really heavy choices, and there's no "perfect" or "%100" path. But no matter what choices you make, the game is always keeping track, and is always tossing you perks or bonuses to reward you. The game is definitely designed with multiple playthroughs in mind, as there's far too much (and too much mutually exclusive) content to see in one go. there is so, sooo much detail, so many crazy little things to find, and the writing is always incredibly solid. I think the voice acting tends to sell it, too, though one or two performances are a bit flat.

I almost didn't get this game; I only picked it up because of a buy-2-get1 sale. But it's far eclipsed the other 2 games I picked. I think that people willing to give this game a fair shake will be surprised to find a much different game than what the press described. I've already played it through thrice, and I still find new things and I still think about it all the time. This is a solid title that is incredibly well designed, just not laden with a bunch of shiny graphic effects or the money to buy a huge ad campaign and a lot of good press. It's not perfect, but to be honest, it's damn close. This game is awesome, hands-down one of my favorites this or any other year. You really should give it a try.
  19. Jan 18, 2011

1. Alpha Protocol maybe a role-playing game in name, but for me it felt far to much like an average third person shooter.
  2. The game is its own worst enemy, as its fully featured hands-on action never quite sits comfortably with roleplaying combat. [July 2010, p.99]
    Alpha Protocol is a commendable attempt at story-driven, role-playing action which sadly doesn't live up to its promise, leaving many of us to wonder at what it could have been with a little more polish.