6.9

1. May 12, 2015
  2. Dec 17, 2013
    This game is not as bad as people say. The gameplay isn't bad at all, you can choose your own game style and it works. The story is good but the cutscenes are so static and the voice acting so robotic that it's extremely boring to watch. This is what makes the game feel too long. The best thing though is the rpg elements. You can choose abilities when you level up and your chooses reallyThis game is not as bad as people say. The gameplay isn't bad at all, you can choose your own game style and it works. The story is good but the cutscenes are so static and the voice acting so robotic that it's extremely boring to watch. This is what makes the game feel too long. The best thing though is the rpg elements. You can choose abilities when you level up and your chooses really make a big difference in how you play the game. It's even a game you could replay, first in action then in stealth for example. Expand
  3. Feb 15, 2014
    this game has a really hard opening level in which you have to hack computers and get out. the hacking is the hard part. you have 20 seconds to connect all of the lines up together, it sounds simple, but in fact, its not. through the game you go through 'interactive conversations' with people. mostly, i execute the people straight away. but the bad parts are the ridiculously inaccuratethis game has a really hard opening level in which you have to hack computers and get out. the hacking is the hard part. you have 20 seconds to connect all of the lines up together, it sounds simple, but in fact, its not. through the game you go through 'interactive conversations' with people. mostly, i execute the people straight away. but the bad parts are the ridiculously inaccurate guns, making a battle with a boss 10 times harder. and one particular boss charges your position occasionally with a knife! so, apart from the rubbish aiming and that one annoying boss, alpha protocol is ok. Expand
  4. Jan 24, 2012
    Alpha protocol is a decent, yet broken experience of a game, that had the potential to be far better, given time. It's a espionage rpg, that borrows from mass effect, but never ones close to the kind of feel you would be looking for. The story is good, the graphics are decent even if the frame rate stutters now and again, the intros are flawed, and not as fluid as you would like, and theAlpha protocol is a decent, yet broken experience of a game, that had the potential to be far better, given time. It's a espionage rpg, that borrows from mass effect, but never ones close to the kind of feel you would be looking for. The story is good, the graphics are decent even if the frame rate stutters now and again, the intros are flawed, and not as fluid as you would like, and the whole stealth element is slightly broken. The major problem is the fact that the game is riddled with glitches, and bugs that dampen the whole experience.

The game is interesting, and manages to keep you going to the end, but after this I would never go back for a second attempt, if they get round to another attempt, their is a formul here that be majorly overhauled for a greater experience.
  5. Jan 23, 2013
    I am 1/2 way through this game. I love it but I had to stop playing it for now...

The gameplay is soo clunky and awful. It's like GTA but it's not a sandbox. I understand it's an rpg but not being able to shoot unless you have aimed for a full 5 seconds is ridiculous. I put all my points in hand pistols but it still takes forever. I started the original deus ex the other day for the first time ...that is the original rpg/shooter/stealth/story game....and in that game..when you specialise your skills in a certain area...it makes a much bigger difference...about half the time for the aiming reciticle to focus. That is a good balance.
    On the other end of the spectrum you go from not being able to shoot to being overpowered by turning invisible...which you can use repeatedly once the short cooldown timer is finished.
    The level design is severely limited..and linear...you can't really use hacking skills & picklocking to bypass enemies. Even fallout 3 does this better.
    Enemy bodies disappear... which is silly for a stealth game.
    However the story is awesome. Conversations options, decisions, weather someone likes or dislikes you and who to kill or save change future missions, conversations and outcomes. Even actual gameplay chances..small things that make the game so much more engaging and immersive.
    If you can get past the gameplay shortcomings you will love this game.
  6. Nov 16, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Ok so if you're checking out this game, you're probably either scouring through the bargain bin at Gamestop or found a copy on Ebay for a few dollars but don't want to have a big pile of dung as a result. I'll make this real simple....

If you're a fan of the Bourne series, James Bond or just enjoy the thought of playing a game as a rogue secret agent, pick this up. If you don't fit into the above categories, this game probably isn't for you. Most of what the negative reviews say is true. The graphics & sound are ps2 era. The ai is god awful. Controls are horrible. There's more to be sure but by now you should have pretty low expectations & to enjoy this game, you'll need those.

Honestly, this is one of the 6 games I keep & never ever trade in. My others are assassins creed 2 & brotherhood, star wars force unleashed (first one), mass effect 2, & ratchet & clank 4. So you see I'm not some weirdo who only buys crap titles is the reason for my listing those.

So why play this? Well if you're looking here to begin with, you probably got sucked in with the, "Espionage RPG" line. It is an rpg, to be sure, as you choose a build for your character to suit your playstyle. Here's the thing...If you plan to do anything besides sneak around, taking dudes out silently one at a time, or sometimes not even taking dudes out at all, forget it. This isn't for you. And I'm not trying to be an elitist or anything, I'm just trying to save you some time & money.

If you're still reading at this point, something i've said has intrigued you so I'd recommend giving it a shot. Remember to temper expectations & be patient. It starts pretty slow & can be aggravating on anything but easy your first time around. It does get better as the story moves along. AP's biggest credit is the noon-tangible factor of immersion. I've never played a game, even the metal gears & splinter cells, that gave me that, "I'm a friggin spy!!!!" feeling like this does. I can't explain how it happens. Maybe the traveling over the globe, making alliances with shady characters to use them to your advantage, or the idea that its just you & your handler against the world. Whatever it is, it nails that feeling & keeps you hooked in spite of its many shortcomings.

Its a real shame it never got the attention from Obsidian that it deserved. Someone had a great idea for a story, incorporated some good ideas & then took a big dunk all over this title. AP does have a cult following however from those of us who love a good spy novel/flick so if you count yourself among those, join us.
  7. EM
    Jun 3, 2010
    I was expecting something a little different from Obsidian. Something better. The shooting aspect of the game isnt quite there and there's something missing with the stealth portion of the game too. If your into a stealth shooter like Splinter Cell, you'll be disappointed. The shooting isnt good enough to make up for it. its not all about graphics but lets face it... it helps I was expecting something a little different from Obsidian. Something better. The shooting aspect of the game isnt quite there and there's something missing with the stealth portion of the game too. If your into a stealth shooter like Splinter Cell, you'll be disappointed. The shooting isnt good enough to make up for it. its not all about graphics but lets face it... it helps make a game better. There is no reason for this game to have the graphics that it does, and still have slow loading times. I give it a 7 because the idea is good, the choices of dialoge is good, and the blackmarket and weapon upgrades are good too. Is it worth the money. No. Wait to play this one, if you care to play it at all. Expand
  8. Oct 22, 2013
    WOW is this game a broken piece of crap!!! awful story,broken gameplay and poor graphics keep this disaster on the worst games ever list.bugs bugs bugs everywhere.

1. Alpha Protocol maybe a role-playing game in name, but for me it felt far to much like an average third person shooter.
  2. Edge Magazine
    The game is its own worst enemy, as its fully featured hands-on action never quite sits comfortably with roleplaying combat. [July 2010, p.99]
    Alpha Protocol is a commendable attempt at story-driven, role-playing action which sadly doesn't live up to its promise, leaving many of us to wonder at what it could have been with a little more polish.