7.2

1. Mar 21, 2012
    Armored Core, coming from a person who used to play Chromehounds, another mech game, is different. But coming from From Software just like Chromehounds did i can definitely see the similarities that come from both series, and i can tell that this is just as good of a game. The only problem i seen was that there was a few glitches on day 1 but they have already been solved in the same day, and the online play is phenomenal, if you are used to a slower mech game like me you will have to take some time to practice and get used to this because if you don't you will be overwhelmed with the real players going wild with the dodging of shots. However, if you are just a single player gamer then i wouldn't recommend it just because its a mainly online game, but that never stopped these horrible titles like call of duty from getting good reviews. This game is really good if you are a mech game fan, and of course the review sites give it low scores because its not horrible like the FPS market is flooded with these day.s Expand
  2. Apr 5, 2012
    The Best Armored Core game so far. Those who love the mech action genre is gonna love this game. Front Mission Evolved should have been this game. If only Squeenix chose From Software instead of crappy Developers... Anyway, this game plays so much like the old school AC games, which is great. Gone are the flying dual rifles, missile spamming days of AC4/FA. Now, you need to think tactically to flank your adversaries. Great Team online play and customizations options. -- Veteran of AC games since AC: Project Phantasma. Expand
  3. Mar 30, 2012
    very enjoyable game i wish they made this a while ago looking forward to see how teams will work out. a little lacking on parts but still has a good selection.
  4. Mar 21, 2012
    Armored Core has become something of a fan franchise. Anyone coming in from the outside probably won't have as much fun and will be a lot more aware of the flaws the game has. Let's ignore the franchise and treat this game as it's own.

First of all, the combat is, at first, confusing. After a few hours of playing though, any regular gamer should have a good grasp of the combat, and it's
    actually pretty fun and good. You get to keep trying out new weapon and suit combinations with it's vast amount of mech customization. A bit after that, however, things get repetitive. You will be going through the same several maps fighting a bunch of "bowling pin"-esque enemies. They will stand there and wait for you to come before they all attack you in a predictable fashion. Fighting other NPC pilots in more duel like situations is always fun though, because they behave more differently based on how they are equipped. That is only the single player, however. I haven't tapped into a lot of the online play, but essentially, you will be playing this game online even throughout single player. If you buy this game and expect to ONLY be involved in you vs the AI, don't even bother getting it. It will get boring fast. I don't fancy myself a competitive gamer, ready to join a clan and do matches with my team, but I will say joining a team and doing some co op with strangers has been fun. The PVP isn't bad either from the bit of it I've played.

All in all, this is a great game for people who like the more complicated details of mechs and yet can be pleased with relatively simplistic PvE. It's fun if you let it be, but if you don't particularly like mechs and you expect an easy to play enthralling game, just don't get this title.
  5. Mar 24, 2012
    It is not for everybody, but it is for me. Upgrades to mech based on weapon types, weapons quality, and your personal play style make it very addicting for anyone who made it past the seventh grade. I could see why a player would dismiss it as "Gay", or too complicated, it takes a bit of grey matter to enjoy. AC V does not deserve the 66. (attn:MechaVerse ;)
  6. Mar 25, 2012
    As a fan of the series since it was one the PSone, I'm delighted that it has stepped back from the speed (while awesome) of 4 and For Answer, and returned to the more tactical feel of those earlier titles. This, combined with the online team-oriented emphasis of Chromehounds, makes for a very fulfilling new addition to the series. Newcomers to the series may want to get used to the feel of gameplay and practice which AC builds are most effective in which situations. Some of the single-player missions can seem a little daunting, but all are do-able by yourself with the right build. The customization is as fun as any in the series! Tons of parts, and a million ways to combine them effectively. The co-op is especially fun with a full team, and the operator role can be decisive when taking or defending territory. Offline-only play would likely be a bit weaker without the teamwork and opportunity to test your machine against other players, but conversely playing as part of a smoothly functioning team is a joy.
    All in all, this is a solid game that requires you to do a bit of thinking when playing, and is definitely a worthy addition to the series!
  7. Mar 24, 2012
    There is lots of things that man dreams about. One of them, is machine called ROBOT. By seeing a lot of other robots in movies or games, I am very positive that one of you who are reading this have dreamed about controlling a robot with your hands, and this dream can be fulfilled by playing games.

If I have to pick a game that have provided us a robots with a great detail, I would pick
    Armored Core series from From Software. The Armored Core 1 was a game had such a hard control that normal users could not play the game (which contributed to make Armored Core maniacs who loves hard games). But after the continuous development and research, I has became more easier to control for beginners - of course, it is still hard for some people.

But the biggest charm point of Armored Core is not the control. It is that you can make your own mechanics that fits your own style of the game!

Even in real life, if you see a good gamer play the game, it feels like he is actually controlling a robot from a movie! Evading hundreds of missiles coming towards his mechanic and even fight with four enemies at once like you would see in a animation you used to watch when you were a child.

Like you would experience in every types of games, there can be a period where you have to get used to the controls. In this case, the period is just longer than the other easy-control games such as Skyrim or Mass effect. But if you break the chain and get over the period, you will see yourself flying over enemy opponents shooting down at their heads.
  8. Mar 24, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Right off the bat, I'll mention that this is my first review on metacritic. Armored Core V is probably the biggest impulse buy I've made in quite some time, having played various mech games throughout my gaming career, I'd honestly given up hope. Went to go pick up Silent Hill HD but being such a huge fan of Demon's Souls and Dark Souls, once I pieced together FromSoftware made AC5, I was on autopilot. I really don't remember what I was expecting, all I know is that the purchase was completely biased, and that I was 99% green to the AC series coming in, but what took place melted my brain stem. Seriously, the extent they went to in order to really deliver that "mech experience" is there and then some. They stress the necessity for developing a team, and by the time you read this it's already pretty tough to attempt starting your own, so anyone who isn't willing to fold on the idea of running the show will be missing out on a good portion of the game. The game is persistent online, so you're given the option to "hire" a mercenary to help you complete any of the 9 story missions or 80 "order missions" (of which apparently take place after the story missions). Single player is generally pretty tough if you're attempting it alone. The map is seperated into territories, in which the many missions unfold, but they play an integral part of the multiplayer. The team you form or join fights for control of these territories, through various missions but upon acquiring a territory, that team is tasked with retaining control of it. I've never played Chromehounds, which some people are comparing this to, but I can honestly say that I meant this to have no spoilers, but there's no real way to talk about it without ruining some of it. There's been a few times where I'm just blown away that there's actually more. I didn't even get into the customisation, which I sure AC fans expect, but this time around they've seperated damage into three different types (Kinetic Energy, Thermal Energy, and Chemical Energy), so there's TONS of customisation options for both weapons and the core itself. If I continued, I could really sell it to those people who are reading this wanting to know EVERY little aspect in order to make their decision to purchase, but in doing so I ruin the remaining 70% of the game I haven't talked about. There's still the 5v5 battles (I managed to play my first 4v4 earlier) and Free Battle. Overall, the game is filled with content, I can't imagine what would possess someone to give this game a low score based on A.I. or the fact that they didn't get it in the first 30 seconds. I didn't get it for the first 8 hours, the story is literally nuts, and sometimes I still have matches where I leave it in Scan Mode and keep hitting the fire button wondering what's wrong, but I'll get it fully in the end, lol. I give it a 9 because it is filled to the brim with content, the the customization (alone should give it a 10) is terrific (check the stats for something, the REAL stats. Yeah, wtf, right? Mathematical wizards, they are), and the multiplayer is crazy (actually get in a 4v4, it's insane.) Expand
  9. Mar 29, 2012
    This game short and simple is for multiplayer. Yep. Usually there are branching path ways in story and usually you can expect 25+ mission, so what does V have, a absolute abysmal 10 story missions. Also the chatter is so incoherent. There is a story but like any of the armored cores or even the demon or dark souls story you have to dig in and read the lines more so then them presenting it to you in cutscenes, just how fromsoftware rolls. But here it feels rushed as it's had barely any development then ends. Seems like their main focus is online. There are 80 order mission but they are very boring and repetitive, only good to farm money for online. The bosses whether online or offline are not very impressive and just a big target, 4 had bigger and better super bosses. Also the mecha are smaller this time round ie half the size as the nexts in 4 and not as moveable and agile as the core 3 and 4 games. This game is more reminiscent to the armored core 1&2 and their expansions. So if you are used to the bigger destructive and fast speed mechs you might be turned off of the initial slow feeling. The big difference is the invisible ceiling in this game is very low so building flying mechs take a little more tinkering then normal as most of the parts are optimized for ground combat. But that is the funnest part and armored core v hold the series customization really high, in this game they have kinda rock paper scissors kind thing going on with kinetic, chemical and laser fire. and all the weaknesses and immunities associated with set builds. Seems like a nice balance which they had to do to make the online work. With that this is a step up from armored core 4 online. In 4 it's basically the same builds online ie the best parts win. But in this it's more balanced. thus more fun. especially in teams you can experiment with specialty mechs as other teammates will have different builds to cover for your weakness ie you don't need to only build 1-5 same mechs online. The online and co-op in this game are great and fun especially territories where you can invade other online teams and prove you are the best. With that you better jump online and to a forum and team up with real dedicated players. The online is not very solo friendly ie it's very hard work being a merc for hire. Most often you get pay by kills so if you don't kill you don't get paid well and you have bullet and repairs to worry about. But if you go for kills you are likely to get more damage and bigger repair bill, also doesn't help when you wasted ammo and one of your team mates gets in a stray bullet in and they get the kill and you just end up with cost. So this is where the boring order missions come in ie to grind for money. Also mercs can't speak to teammates so no cordination only can team speak. Also you have to be careful because there is an online and offline save. So the parts and stats are non transferable. If you plan to play online you better start in online mode. Nothing worst then grinding offline then you want to transfer your parts you bought and find out you can't. might as well start on online mode. Also going back to a dedicated team is when playing rank it can be boring because of how the territory point system works. Basically if it's not high enough when you raid you only find bots of turrets and tanks. So you have to have a dedicated team to earn points in co-op missions and then do nightly multiple raids and then you can fight vs real people 5vs 5 and the game is just a blast at this point. If not you will be sitting in lobbies waiting for players and to truly find real people. So a dedicated team is a must to get full experience. This game online is headed in the right track but sadly the single player took a huge hit. If you are hesitant about the game I say wait till it's $30 or less for Single player, but if you are actually interested in online better jump in quick and actually be dedicated enough and committed to putting regular time schedule with your teammates then the game is a blast. If you solo or have small team and especially if you don't play often the game is just as boring as the Single player. While I like the online it is a big commitment especially since you can only have small teams and people can't be all on at the same time so you really have commit to time and play together. Other then that the game is not as good as the other in the franchise. Down the road I'll be able to pop in any of the older armored core games and have fun, this game once online dies down or your teammates run away will be forgotten. Hopefully 5 expansion or 6 will have the great single player but also have co-op online too that they learned from V. . Expand
  10. Mar 30, 2012
    This review is from someone new to the Armored Core series. This game has some very strong points, but it also has some very weak points. The customization in this game is awesome. Your presented with so many different options and can literally customize any part of you mech. It's great. Combat is also very cool. Because you can create so many different kinds of mechs, you'll encounter many diverse kinds of mechs in combat. One bad part about this game, its story. It's near incomprehensible. I have no idea what the Hell is going on in regards to the story line. I think I'm a terrorist, but I'm not really sure. Anyway, if your in to mechs and customization, buy this game. If you need a game with a good story, dont buy this game. Expand
  11. Apr 16, 2012
    Good game, but hard for beginners. But it shouldn't be too hard since if you join with some team, other team member will also help you. This game will force you to go online each time you play, but you still can play it offline but it won't be twice the fun by playing with your friend. The control are quite enjoyable now since the movement is not booster oriented. Even though the maneuver is a little bit hard but if you know the trick it won't be really hard. The shop menu is overflowing with information, that might confuse new comer. We also can sell our own parts to other player. The multiplayer co-op and match is fun. Regardless the graphic, this game is fun to play with friends. Expand
  12. Jun 6, 2012
    While I can understand that the mechs were getting a bit on the crazy-fast side of things, to the point where tanks and quads were getting a bit pointless, there was something deeply satisfying about 4 and for answer's speed. You felt as good as the AI's, with lots of tweaking and fettling to perfect your playstyle and build that perfect next. Having gotten started with the AC series with 3 and all of its sequels, I appreciated the twitch gaming. But V has taken it in a wildly different direction. Gone are back weapons, introducing instead a maddeningly complicated, difficult to discern and recognize system wherein most of the damage types don't make sense, the weapons don't feel very potent, customizing them doesn't feel like it has any impact (to me at least) and single player is almost completely gone.

I feel like a pretty seasoned AC veteran (having hundreds of hours logged in 3, SL, last raven, etc.) and I slogged through V's single player and very, very repetitive and confusing missions, and by the end, was left completely cold. There isn't anywhere near enough difference between light cores and tanks, the AI based opponents take way too much of a beating, they have decided to make the bloody mechs handle like a slow, ornery bear, and the level of complexity is brick-wall thick and once I'd figured it out, it didn't feel in the least bit rewarding.

The online only idea was interesting, but ultimately felt unfriendly and uninteresting. Overall, it's an average game. Nothing particularly wrong, nothing good. Graphics and controls felt deliberately complicated, worse than AC3's (which were rewarding to master) or AC4's, which were buttery smooth and intuitive. Many aspects felt pointless and contrived.

Overall, not a fan. Hoping that they'll bring things closer to AC3 in the next release, but with slightly more streamlined controls of 4 . Hell, I'd take 4 again as well. Just anything more than this bland piece of tripe. I can appreciate the urge to innovate, but breaking something because it wasn't broken just because you wanted something to fix just feels retarded.
  13. May 10, 2012
    Armored Core V. is probably the best mech game available at the moment for consoles. For the main part , From Software have done a good job the graphics are good while not amazing, the campaign is good but with an abstract story that really just leads you too the next mech battle or group of mechanical enemies. The main error From Software made was region locking the disks there-fore effectively seperating the amount of online players to the point where there just are not enough players on the european servers to keep up the main idea of the game teratorial battles in a persistant online world map. also the match-making part of the online really does not work well as theres no real indication to show if any other teams are actually online. This leads to you being sat in a lobby for long time spans waiting for a random match to begin. This could have easily been solved if after a set time of say 5 minutes a team of bots took the place of the enemy team ,for defence especially. Although the game is a solid mech game and its customisation system is great, each change you make to your mech actually impacts how it moves or reacts in-gameplay. And there are over 100 hundred missions with the submissions and the recently added online co-op bosses which are great in scale and strength. , its a shame but unless From can remove the region lock this game for online is going to fail. Great game, spoiled by the region lock. Expand
  14. Jul 17, 2012
    The controls and they way the mechs handles has received quite a few changes since previous games, but this is still very much Armored Core. Huge levels of customisation to suit your style of play, and many different tactics to consider. The story as always is rather weak unfortunately from what I've seen so far. But the online play is incredible fun and if you know people with the game then this will be superb to play. So many ways to play online, it's a dream to all Veteran Armored Core fans. Spend hours making the perfect mech then see how you fair against others, or team up and show your combined might. I've detected very little lag so far, nothing that appears to have affected gameplay. Excellent game, requires a lot of thinking and practice to get the most out of it. Expand
  15. Apr 19, 2012
    There are two reasons this game is short of a 10/10 rating from me, and each is major enough to cut a full point away. One is the separation of North American and European servers. The other is the game's lack of mass appeal - it's very clear this product is targeting a specific niche, and while it offers that target market almost everything, it's not even remotely fun for most players outside that core group.

I live in New Zealand, and our local copies of the game connect us to the European servers. I'm literally on the opposite side of the world from almost everyone I've faced, and while there has been visible lag in a handful of matches (literally 4 or 5 of the DOZENS of online matches I've played), it's NEVER been severe enough to actually influence a battle. I've seen an incredibly fast-moving target teleport ALMOST the width of their mech in a worst-case scenario so far, which means literally nothing in the context of even the most precision-sensitive weapons.

As for the gameplay itself, the full freedom to reassign EVERY function in the game to a different part of the controller means that you can create your own control scheme EXACTLY the way you want. At first, I started with minor tweaks to the default controls, then adjusted a few more things as I got more in-depth into the game. Even after settling on a basic control scheme, there are a couple of tweaks I use for different builds, since each AC (the name for your mechs) handles VERY differently, and emphasises different functions.

Previous games in the series allowed players to "fly" as long as their AC's energy reserves held out, with the most recent releases, AC4 and For Answer, making "permaflight" builds a common sight. Those two games also made lightweight ACs significantly more durable than previous titles, where you had to sacrifice armour even more than firepower to get the fastest mechs. In this, and some other aspects, ACV is a return to the roots of the series. A good lightweight AC pilot can run rings around a less-skilled pilot with a heavy AC, but if you make a mistake, you go down fast and hard. LIkewise, a good pilot with a heavy AC will bring a lot of firepower against even fast-moving targets, but if they can stay out of the line of fire, it doesn't matter how big your guns are.

As every fan knows, customisation is the most important aspect of the series, and this game has done it justice. There are multiple types of arm, leg, core and head, along with generators, boosters, and FCS. In addition to all these options, up to 5 weapons can be equipped, with up to 3 available at a time. While Japan is 2 patches ahead of the rest of the world (and about to get another), there are some balance issues that need to be addressed, but there's still a lot of variety if you avoid the obvious overpowered weapons.

ACV has also expanded on the balance between physical and energy attacks, by dividing damage into 3 types, Kinetic, Chemical and Thermal Energy. Each body part on an AC provides a different amount of protection against each energy type, as well as a different amount of AP, or armour points (which are your health). High resistance to enemy attacks will reduce the amount of AP lost with each hit, so having lots of AP isn't always the most important thing. A good balance of AP and resistance to the right energy types for your opponent can be the difference between victory and defeat. I've won dedicated blade matches by bringing a KE damage physical blade when my opponent's AC was built with high TE defense in expectation of a laser blade. The same can be said of bringing a CE weapon like a Battle Rifle when the opponent thinks you'll have a Gatling Gun that deals KE damage, or vice versa.

The AI in the game can be pretty dense at times, with some of the lower-level AC pilots doing incredibly stupid things like shooting at you through walls. A few of the bosses are similar, but more often by "telegraphing" their attacks and giving the player time to find cover before firing super-powered weapons you otherwise wouldn't have a chance against. Most of the tougher enemies are less likely to do this, but they tend to be quite predictable, and once you understand an enemy's patterns, it becomes a little too easy to beat them. It would have been nice to see at least a few enemies who change their build based on your recent history, or at least react differently based on how your machine is assembled.

In addition to the less-than-impressive AI, the game's single player story is lacking - there's the groundwork for a GREAT plot, but they never really delve into it, and while there are some clever moments worthy of any mecha anime, they're usually short on the context necessary to make them work.

Overall, the game is impressive, but flawed, and it really is only suitable for players who want to focus on both building and piloting highly-customisable giant robots.
  16. Apr 6, 2012
    Really unhappy with the direction this game took the series in. The speed is gone, maneuvering your robot is a chore, buying new items is confusing and the visuals are sub-par--textures on the mech models are muddy.
  17. Apr 24, 2012
    Armored Core 5 - This is primarly geared towards the veteran AC pilots - if you have never played AC and loved it this game will be very very hard to break into at first. If you're looking for a plot or a story campagin - this isnt the game for you. This game is specific and does a good job at creating a team vs. team ac vs. ac enviroment. Basically this is what every AC pilot has been asking for. However, the actual method in which you organize battles and attack territories needs work - there are tons of ideas and patches still be downloaded onto the US servers but i have faith Bandai will get this done. If not, they will lose almost all the players... The fram rate is good for experienced players and new players - right in the middle
    There is almost no lag in giant 5v5 matches
    The graphics arent that of FinalFantasy or Granturismo but still really good for a online mech game
    The number of parts - decent to start off - i hope for more parts as the game continues
    Story Mode - lacking content - but missions are fun and longer then before and be played with another team mate or friend
    Order Missions - fun but short - add more tougher missions! Mercenary - This feature allows you to be hired by other teams or players for online battle - great for when your online during odd hours and your team isnt on. FreeBattle - Great for practice, team vs. team and just outright total destruction - battle royal needs some patches... and some ACs camp...maybe smaller maps? limit the area?

Conquest - this is why i gave this a 9...the concept is great but the system needs work. Waiting for a stronghold can be painful or figuring out when someone is strongholding is tough... Maybe a system that notifys you or little flag "Team pending stronghold - please attack" so the rest of ACV universe knows "hey lets try and take over huge canyon" etc...

For now - I have been using my Networking skills and PSN to organize battles - it has worked 100% of the time. Thanks!
  18. Aug 16, 2012
    The game play is amazing i love the new play style but the weapons types are few specially the missiles. and i cant use the missiles on the back weapon and also i cant use the canon weapons on normal legs while moving. I didn't like that part of the game. And their suppose to be a multiplaier mode. Other ways the game are amazing.
  19. Oct 15, 2012
    For people who knows this saga, can expect a good game, but now with more missions and more surprises in them. The multiplayer is very immersive and very rewarding if you play with friends. Downsides could be the animations and the graphics. The combat system can be very annoying but when you get it its awesome. Its very different from AC4 and take a combat type more like the firs AC.

1. May 16, 2012
    Fans will love V's hardcore complexities and online battles. It's all poorly presented, and impenetrable for newcomers. [June 2012, p.109]
  2. May 14, 2012
    Despite failing to reach its spectacular potential due to the region issues, there's still a great giant robot sim to be enjoyed. [June 2012, p.65]
  3. May 11, 2012
    Armored Core V depicts fast-paced mech-warfare, where mech-building skills and tactical manoeuvres are as important as quick reflexes. [May 2012]