6.1

1. Feb 4, 2014
    Meh... Not really a full game, but it is still Assassin's Creed and still fun. I wouldn't look for a whole AC experience, but you should be content with your purchase if you are a fan!
  2. Jul 13, 2015
    This Assassin's Creed game is obviously smaller than the others episodes on console as it as originally a PS Vita game, and I do not blame it for that at all. But first when you port a game, even if the graphics are slightly better and worthy of a PS3, for god sake correct the glitches ! (lot of visual tearing, and bugged animation), that's the first reason I didn't enjoy this game.This Assassin's Creed game is obviously smaller than the others episodes on console as it as originally a PS Vita game, and I do not blame it for that at all. But first when you port a game, even if the graphics are slightly better and worthy of a PS3, for god sake correct the glitches ! (lot of visual tearing, and bugged animation), that's the first reason I didn't enjoy this game.

Gameplay wise this game is almost like every other AC with more or less boring side activities, easy but stylish climbing and swordfights, too easy infiltration sequences ( it's really a casual game) except for "persona" system which was pretty cool (different disguises with different abilities) and the size of the map, here divided in levels and pretty small, it's normal considering it was a portable title, but it has to be said if you're looking for a full AC experience. It's not the best gameplay of the year but still entertaining and with enough content to play at least 12 hours.

But the big throwback of the game is its story, AC story was pretty generic since Brotherhood, but in Liberation it's simply stupid, and a waste on the subject of slavery (Freedom Cry is better on it) and Louisiana "owner", and like if it wasn't enough the actors are awful (especially Avelina), I considered mute them during the cinematics (I should probably look for their names to find out how in hell they ever made it in a big game like Assassin's Creed). Therefore with a so bad story and characters there is absolutely no commitment in the game and you get to the ending without any emotions at all.

Clearly the worst game of the franchise I played at the moment (considering we're in july 2015, I still have to go through Rogue, Unity and Chronicles), advisable only to true AC fans who need their AC fix between two games.
  3. Feb 17, 2014
    I was never a fan of Assassins Creed, until 3 came out. Liberation of course, released along the same time as a Vita exclusive. Its important to remember this. The graphics are a little disappointing but the gameplay is tight, the voicework/sound is good and the game is fun. If you are a fan of Assassins creed then you'll love this game, but if you are expecting anything similar to BlackI was never a fan of Assassins Creed, until 3 came out. Liberation of course, released along the same time as a Vita exclusive. Its important to remember this. The graphics are a little disappointing but the gameplay is tight, the voicework/sound is good and the game is fun. If you are a fan of Assassins creed then you'll love this game, but if you are expecting anything similar to Black Flag then you will be disappointed. Remember the timeline, this game released over a year before Black Flag and it is noticeable graphically. Expand
  4. Mar 17, 2015
    This is not a AAA release or even remotely close to the quality and polish of AC3 or 4. This is a PSN title which should only be bought on sale. The graphics/environments are bland and repetitive, voice acting is terrible, interface is nearly non-existent and the narrative is plucky and pandering to a younger audience. I've only recently become a big AC fan with the introduction ofThis is not a AAA release or even remotely close to the quality and polish of AC3 or 4. This is a PSN title which should only be bought on sale. The graphics/environments are bland and repetitive, voice acting is terrible, interface is nearly non-existent and the narrative is plucky and pandering to a younger audience. I've only recently become a big AC fan with the introduction of naval warfare in 3(loved Black Flag/Rogue) but this game is a mess. The story feels like a skipping record with huge jumps where there is little to no detail. With any AC game, I don't go in with huge expectations plotwise but enjoy the stealth/combat gameplay which typically holds true across AC titles. This one differs by offering 3 different "outfits" which give the player options as how to approach a given objective, which is a nice idea, but is implemented poorly, and reminds me more of the dress spheres from final fantasy x-2 which quickly ended my gameplay. The short and sweet is I would not recommend this game to anyone, AC fan or not, unless they were waiting for a better game to come out and had no better way to occupy their time. Unfortunately I fall into that category... Expand
  5. Feb 16, 2014
    Ok so first off let me start by saying im a HUGE assassin's Creed fan. That being said, i have played this game twice now once on vita and now on PS3 and the game is good but not great. Some of the flaws from the vita have been fixed(Touch screen controls gone!!!) Some are still there( why am i in plan sight and NO ONE noticed that i killed that guy??) But for the most part its a goodOk so first off let me start by saying im a HUGE assassin's Creed fan. That being said, i have played this game twice now once on vita and now on PS3 and the game is good but not great. Some of the flaws from the vita have been fixed(Touch screen controls gone!!!) Some are still there( why am i in plan sight and NO ONE noticed that i killed that guy??) But for the most part its a good game, once again i say good not great. The problem with most reviewers is that this was released after AC4 which is amazing. However this game was made as a side game for AC3. So the vast freedom of AC4 and awesome high seas missions are non-existant. They also introduce a class system of sorts, Avalene can change her "persona" between slave, lady and assassin. Slave is similar to assassin just low key, lady restricts running on rooftops and a lot of your weapons. If i have to explain assassin your buying the wrong game. Ok bullet points time

STORY: 7/10- Its good just not AC3 or 4 good. Its has a lot of boring missions but they come together nicely in the in.
    GAME PLAY: Everything works, not as good as later game of course but they work and they are improvement over the vita version.
    Sound: Has an odd but appropriate score I'm not really a fan of it but it sets the mood.
    Replay: Well they removed mutiplayer so unless your trophy hunting dont bother on a second play through unless you just want to ya know play it again let we did in the 90's.
    Overall: 710 good but not great worth a look if your a hardcore fan like myself if not honestly just but Freedom cry for your liberation needs.
  6. Jun 2, 2015
    Keeping it simple, I love the storyline of the Assassin's Creed Saga, but I'm not a die hard fan of the gameplay. I bought this game because I got 10$ gift from Sony (still wandering why LOL)

Anyway, somehow, despite the eventual Bugs and weird technical situations I've found, I'm currently pretty much hooked with the game. The storyline is quite interesting and it's easy to get along with the main character (Aveline). In terms of gameplay it's pretty much fun, despite some technical flaws.

I believe it is a game worth to take a look into, maybe not the best, but good game none the less. As for me I'll keep interested about what is going to happen with Aveline and the brotherhood.
  7. Jun 19, 2014
    Not bad but Liberation is a "companion game" to Assassin's Creed III and it shows. Aveline's story is interesting enough but it sort of felt like I had been dropped into the middle of it rather than the start without much explanation. The graphics are a step down from Assassin's Creed III and seem oddly fuzzy in places but I guess that's to be expected from a former PS Vita game.

I

I can't help but think Liberation would have been better as a main entry in the series. It feels restricted in some ways and had potential that it couldn't quite reach in a handheld spin-off.
  8. Oct 12, 2014
    Decent game, I have not played the vita version so I don't see what the complaints may be. There is a lot left to be desired, there could be more to the story or missions but still quite an engaging game.
  9. May 30, 2014
    Being one of the handful of gamers who actually owned a Vita and played Liberation on the handheld, I walked away with mixed feelings about it. Although it was the first handheld game to capture the Assassin's Creed experience, the lousy Vita enabled controls made the game very unpleasant to play. When I heard about the remake coming out for home consoles, I got excited, knowing fully wellBeing one of the handful of gamers who actually owned a Vita and played Liberation on the handheld, I walked away with mixed feelings about it. Although it was the first handheld game to capture the Assassin's Creed experience, the lousy Vita enabled controls made the game very unpleasant to play. When I heard about the remake coming out for home consoles, I got excited, knowing fully well that the vita controls would be gone, and the game would be improved ten fold. After playing it, I once again walked away with mixed feelings.

One thing that can't be disputed about the game is the graphic upgrade. Instead of just simply upping a texture here and there, Liberation got a complete graphic overhaul. All character models have been improved or changed and textures have been improved, but what really makes the game stand out is the overall improved color palate. The game is so much more colorful than the Vita version, and ultimately, the game looks good. However, the graphics don't hold up to anything coming out on the consoles now, so they're only going to be truly appreciated if you've played the Vita version. If you haven't, more than likely, you won't be impressed.

One thing that has been improved is the gameplay. In the previous version, the gameplay was great and held up to the Assassin's Creed series in both free running and combat. However, the game suffered whenever it tried to implement Vita controls. Using the rear touch pad to pickpocket barely functioned, the camera barely detected light sources, and one puzzle which required the Vita's tilt controls were so poor that they infuriated you. I was glad to see that every one of the Vita enabled controls were gone, and the game is improved as a result.

Another good thing the game did was improve the overall experience of the campaign. Missions have been modified in numerous ways, either by adding a cutscene using existing dialogue, changing or removing an objective to kill any tedium, or just changing the mission entirely. I enjoyed every tweak in the campaign, and it's better for it. However, the game did not do the same with it's side content.

Side content has always been arguably repetitive and usually underdeveloped, especially when in comparison to games like Red Dead Redemption, Grand Theft Auto, or the Batman Arkham series. No where is that more apparent than in this game. Liberation's side content is easily the worst of any Assassin's Creed game so far. Unlike the other games that usually have a few stand out side missions that can be considered memorable, Liberation has nothing. Every mission is an arcade style type. Go do this, and your mission is complete. What's worse is that they added even more of them. There are 15 new side missions, with 5 tailored to each persona. The Assassin missions are the weakest, and can be completed in literally two minutes each. The lady and slave missions are better, given that there's more of a story behind them. However, they just feel like 5 split up parts of one huge mission, rather than 5 small ones.

Aside from that, there's another thing Liberation did not improve, and that was the fast travel system. The only thing this game had to do to improve fast travel was to actually add it in the game. The areas in Liberation are not as big as the other worlds in the AC franchise, but it's still big enough to need fast travel. I actually expected Liberation to have it in the remake and was absolutely baffled when it wasn't at all. It would've been so easy to make the view points fast travel points like they did in Black Flag. Now, I know this game originally came out before AC4, but it's remake went under works after Black Flag had already established this concept, so the company deciding not to add this was just lazy, which only looks worse compared to all the small improvements the game did make.

Another is the whole "buying the city" concept. In Brotherhood and Revelations, you could buy parts of the city to increase your overall revenue, and in Liberation, you can buy the shops, but it doesn't do anything significant enough to make you want to do so. There's so little pay off to buying these shops, that it's not worth your time. The only thing they add is convenience, in terms of getting to the shops and your business, but that could be fixed with the fast travel I mentioned.

Lastly is the personas. The three personas is an interesting concept, being able to be an assassin, a slave, and the lady, but each persona has restrictions. The Assassin is notorious at all times, the slave has less health, less weapons, and no chain kill, and the lady has even less along with no climbing or running. The climbing for the lady is something I can understand, and each character has it's perks, but, overall, each persona feels like a you're only getting a piece of the full experience.

In the end, the game is an improvement, but it doesn't get every improvement the game needs. That's the long and short of it.
  10. Jun 30, 2014
    Just finished this Assassin's Creed game. An HD remake of the PS Vita one. Never played the original one, so i don't really know about the difference. So this game starts a little different, out of the story of Desmond. Aveline, a half of French and African, found herself fighting to free the slaves under the guidance of Agate, one of the Brotherhood's Assassin.

Plus point: - A really

Plus point:
    - A really fresh lady assassin. Not much game has a woman as the main character now, so it's kinda fresh seeing aveline chopping and slashing people out in the field.
    - An unique Persona System. Aveline's characters are divided into 3: the slaves, the lady, and the assassin. Each with their own traits and skills, making it intersting in finishing some missions.
    - Mission with Connor? That's just awesome. At some point, you'll cross paths with Connor and went to strike enemy's fort together. Total epic.

Minus point:
    - Graphics are good sometimes but are bad sometimes. Sometimes you'll find yourself in the middle of the city with a verybdark surrounding (probably because of the sun), which makes it uncomfortable. I found myself using the Eagle Vision so many times just so i can see the surrounding. It still has a great grahics, but jaggy at some point.
    - The movement isn't as smooth as AC3. Sometimes i find myself running up against the wall like again and again when i already moved my analog to another directions.
    - Boring move set. I thought that we'll be seeing a new move set, considering she's a new character, but instead i saw her with the exact same move set with Connor. Pretty disappointing.
    - Weak story. The game has a really weak story and weak character backgrounds. Seeing Aveline moves blindly and killing peoples with that motives? Just weird.

In the end, the game is just okay. Not that good, but not bad either. Probably the 2nd worst AC game i ever played after AC1. I'll just give it a 6/10.
  11. Jul 10, 2017
    Liberation HD is a solid game overall! I enjoyed the costume change mechanic. The game flows pretty well for what it is; a transition title to test out the mechanics for Black Flag. Aveline is a much more interesting character than Conner and proves to be a much more compelling narrative than ACIII. (Although I didn't HATE Conner and did enjoy ACIII's setting and gameplay)

As for

As for story length and content its a shorter than your standard AC game. That and it lacks some of the extra things like controlling other assassins and doing crypts. Honestly, the game is long enough that by the time you get bored with playing it, you've done everything. Which is really just right.

Most importantly from my perspective, Aveline is the most worthwhile female lead character since Ubisoft's own Jade from Beyond Good & Evil.
  2. Playstation Official Magazine Australia
    Feb 27, 2014
    Liberation has plenty of interesting things going for it, but is only essential for completionists. [March 2014, p80]
  3. Feb 26, 2014
    Liberation HD won't change anyone's mind about the Assassin's Creed series. It clings closely to the style of the series' earlier entries, but feels cramped even in comparison to those games.