6.1

1. Feb 4, 2014
    Meh... Not really a full game, but it is still Assassin's Creed and still fun. I wouldn't look for a whole AC experience, but you should be content with your purchase if you are a fan!
  2. Feb 17, 2014
    I was never a fan of Assassins Creed, until 3 came out. Liberation of course, released along the same time as a Vita exclusive. Its important to remember this. The graphics are a little disappointing but the gameplay is tight, the voicework/sound is good and the game is fun. If you are a fan of Assassins creed then you'll love this game, but if you are expecting anything similar to BlackI was never a fan of Assassins Creed, until 3 came out. Liberation of course, released along the same time as a Vita exclusive. Its important to remember this. The graphics are a little disappointing but the gameplay is tight, the voicework/sound is good and the game is fun. If you are a fan of Assassins creed then you'll love this game, but if you are expecting anything similar to Black Flag then you will be disappointed. Remember the timeline, this game released over a year before Black Flag and it is noticeable graphically. Expand
  3. Feb 16, 2014
    Ok so first off let me start by saying im a HUGE assassin's Creed fan. That being said, i have played this game twice now once on vita and now on PS3 and the game is good but not great. Some of the flaws from the vita have been fixed(Touch screen controls gone!!!) Some are still there( why am i in plan sight and NO ONE noticed that i killed that guy??) But for the most part its a goodOk so first off let me start by saying im a HUGE assassin's Creed fan. That being said, i have played this game twice now once on vita and now on PS3 and the game is good but not great. Some of the flaws from the vita have been fixed(Touch screen controls gone!!!) Some are still there( why am i in plan sight and NO ONE noticed that i killed that guy??) But for the most part its a good game, once again i say good not great. The problem with most reviewers is that this was released after AC4 which is amazing. However this game was made as a side game for AC3. So the vast freedom of AC4 and awesome high seas missions are non-existant. They also introduce a class system of sorts, Avalene can change her "persona" between slave, lady and assassin. Slave is similar to assassin just low key, lady restricts running on rooftops and a lot of your weapons. If i have to explain assassin your buying the wrong game. Ok bullet points time

STORY: 7/10- Its good just not AC3 or 4 good. Its has a lot of boring missions but they come together nicely in the in.
    GAME PLAY: Everything works, not as good as later game of course but they work and they are improvement over the vita version.
    Sound: Has an odd but appropriate score I'm not really a fan of it but it sets the mood.
    Replay: Well they removed mutiplayer so unless your trophy hunting dont bother on a second play through unless you just want to ya know play it again let we did in the 90's.
    Overall: 710 good but not great worth a look if your a hardcore fan like myself if not honestly just but Freedom cry for your liberation needs.
  4. Jan 18, 2014
    Most reviewers are treating this game as it should have been a sequel to the amazing black flag, like it should have gone beyond the scope of Assassins Creed. What he keeps forgetting is that ITS A BLOODY REMAKE. Its not supposed to do anything different except fix the bugs and improve the visuals which this game did. I will admit, the vita version was no very good. But this game hasMost reviewers are treating this game as it should have been a sequel to the amazing black flag, like it should have gone beyond the scope of Assassins Creed. What he keeps forgetting is that ITS A BLOODY REMAKE. Its not supposed to do anything different except fix the bugs and improve the visuals which this game did. I will admit, the vita version was no very good. But this game has improved on it in so many ways. The vita version had hundreds of bugs and glitches from broken trophies to even one broken mission I encountered. In this game, they were no where to found. The ONLY glitch that they hadn't taken out(which really annoys me for some reason) is the butter knife glitch where Aveline looks like shes holding a butter knife the wrong way when she does double counters with her machete. Everything else is fine. While the story has plot holes, their mission wasn't to add more to the main story! And they even helped out the player by reminding them what was going on from time to time in an un-interruptive way. There are literally 2-3 tailing missions. And you don't get detected right away, they give you a good amount of time (at least 20 seconds) to hide. The missions in this game have a good pace to them but there are some plot holes that leave you wondering. The combat system is the same as AC3 and AC4 except the sound doesn't glitch off all the time like in the latter. It has all new amazing sword moves as well, only the machete moves are copied from connor. This game has also brought back stealth, which is the strength of the AC series.

The slave and lady personas have also been improved as they have new mechanics that help you blend in plain sight. I think they should have implemented them more in your efforts of releasing slaves (lady pays for their release, slave sneaks in and releases them, assassin fights slavers etc..) but there are moments in the game when you do this!

The checkpoints are also spread out in a moderate way as well. They aren't great, but they definitely aren't horrible. I honestly think it deserves at least an 8.5 for:
    +Amazing protagonist
    +improved combat
    +Improved graphics
    +Improved mechanics for the personas
    +improved tailing
    +A variety of new soldiers from the vita version that provide more of a challenge when fighting
    +Sound is VERY much improved
    -no new ways to use personas to liberate slaves besides hiding in plain sight
    -some boring side missions
    -Graphics aren't up to par with AC4, though they are on par with AC3
    -plot holes
    -Some bad voice acting
    I strongly recommend you get this game. I think this game will be worth your while. I loved this game.
  5. Mar 8, 2014
    I gave this game a high rating because I love Assassin's Creed. The stories are always great, but I love it specifically for the gameplay. There is so much freedom, and the controls are an art that is well thought out. If you like previous Assassin's Creed games, then there is no reason why you wouldn't like this one. It is classic AC. Aveline has her own badass kill animations with theI gave this game a high rating because I love Assassin's Creed. The stories are always great, but I love it specifically for the gameplay. There is so much freedom, and the controls are an art that is well thought out. If you like previous Assassin's Creed games, then there is no reason why you wouldn't like this one. It is classic AC. Aveline has her own badass kill animations with the hidden blades that are far cooler than Edward's, in my opinion. I had a blast playing this game. I got about 30 hours out of it, collecting everything and getting 100% sync. Expand
  6. Jan 16, 2014
    This game suffers untimately from the graphical power and gameplay AC4 had, but it's far from a bad game. It is enjoyable and due to the female protagonist and the setting offers a different approach with a great atmosphere. Of course from time to time one is reminded it is a Vita port but I actually was quite surprised how good it looks. For 20 dollars a really good game. I give it an 8
  7. Jan 17, 2014
    From the perspective of someone who just finished Black Flag, and experienced what an Assassins Creed game can really be, it is possible to see Liberation's port as a bit of a letdown, but don't let the word "port" -or the title's humble beginnings- be a deterrent.

Comparing the graphics of Liberation HD to the original Vita version and with AC 3, it is clear that it benefits greatly from the facelift. The city of New Orleans (as well as the other areas) received new, bustling life that took it from seeming like a ghost town to being more on par with AC3's Boston, though slightly smaller.

The storyline does feel a tad bit... fast at times, but I personally did not see it as a detriment to the title. The lack of jarring modern-day sections (which were awful in 3 and greatly improved in 4) is a welcome addition to the series, with the entirety of the gameplay taking place within the confines of the narrative. The only incursion is the "hacking" of your copy of the game by the entity known as Erudito, whose goal is to show you the unaltered memories that Abstergo changed to show the templars in a better light. A fantastic twist on the typical modern day setting.

Aveline handles well with a controller, though suffers from the same niggling problems that plague all AC protaganists; there were a few times when I found myself swearing at Aveline for jumping into a tree instead onto it, but no more than any other characters, either. The combat system has been reduced to two buttons, but let's REALLY be honest: How many players really used anything more than "Counter"? The chain kill mechanic is a nice way to step back from the action and allow a chance to get quality kills, though the opportunities to use it didn't seem to be there as often as I would have liked.

On the subject of Aveline, the persona system was an excellent idea, which, if fleshed out just a little bit more, could have been an AMAZING idea, but as it stands it still did its job, which was to expand the character of Aveline into more than simply a puppet you can use to stab people.

Storywise, it IS much shorter than its other console brethren, and there are unfamiliar textual summaries of events which took place off-screen (or, baffingly, sometimes on-screen). Mission-wise, there was a nice mix, with a few new mechanics thrown in for good measure (puzzles? I liked them!). It felt like Assassins Creed 2 in regard to the missions, still basic in a way, and not laden down with unnecessary fluff like later titles. As I stated above, it did seem very fast (it took me maybe 7 hours to complete the main storyline) but at a third of the cost of a major title (or less with the season pass for Black Flag) it is hard to throw too big of a fit about the length of the story. (And with all of the collectibles and an achievement/trophy for actually completing the game 100%, you'll get more out of it than just that time).

Admittedly, it IS possible to tell that this was a handheld game first; there are a few areas (mainly in Chichen Itza, and parts of the bayou) where the models for the trees or rocks seemed incongruous with the HD setting, but for the most part this was easily ignorable. A few animations suffer from the jump, most egregiously swinging with the bull-whip across gaps (which is still a lot of fun, it just looks really STRANGE).

The characters with which you interact are some of the best in the series, including the brooding, moody Assassin mentor Agate and the smugglers Aveline befriends in the bayou. It is a shame that so many negative reviews by players who expected more (for 20 bucks how much do you really want?) will ultimately lead them to be undiscovered.

Pros:
    Solid Title with decent concepts
    Beautiful look at French Louisiana
    A third of the price of a retail game
    Series first female protaganist, who is clever and not afraid to use her position(s) to her advantage.

Cons:
    A few modeling issues
    Storyline that is short by console standards (though without modern-day fluffery)
    One mission where you have to put up with Connor's terrible, bland voice-acting.

If you are looking for a decent game for 20 bucks, and are a fan of the Creed series, definitely pick this up. It's more of the same, admittedly, but it isn't AC3, and that in itself counts for a lot. It doesn't hold up next to the likes of Black Flag, but it is a fun little game and it shows that Ubisoft isn't afraid to experiment with the AC formula. If you played this on the Vita, it's up to you whether you play it again since it is still the same game (though all the bugs of the vita version have been fixed).
  8. Jun 19, 2014
    Not bad but Liberation is a "companion game" to Assassin's Creed III and it shows. Aveline's story is interesting enough but it sort of felt like I had been dropped into the middle of it rather than the start without much explanation. The graphics are a step down from Assassin's Creed III and seem oddly fuzzy in places but I guess that's to be expected from a former PS Vita game.

I

I can't help but think Liberation would have been better as a main entry in the series. It feels restricted in some ways and had potential that it couldn't quite reach in a handheld spin-off.
  9. Oct 12, 2014
    Decent game, I have not played the vita version so I don't see what the complaints may be. There is a lot left to be desired, there could be more to the story or missions but still quite an engaging game.
  10. Mar 17, 2015
    This is not a AAA release or even remotely close to the quality and polish of AC3 or 4. This is a PSN title which should only be bought on sale. The graphics/environments are bland and repetitive, voice acting is terrible, interface is nearly non-existent and the narrative is plucky and pandering to a younger audience. I've only recently become a big AC fan with the introduction ofThis is not a AAA release or even remotely close to the quality and polish of AC3 or 4. This is a PSN title which should only be bought on sale. The graphics/environments are bland and repetitive, voice acting is terrible, interface is nearly non-existent and the narrative is plucky and pandering to a younger audience. I've only recently become a big AC fan with the introduction of naval warfare in 3(loved Black Flag/Rogue) but this game is a mess. The story feels like a skipping record with huge jumps where there is little to no detail. With any AC game, I don't go in with huge expectations plotwise but enjoy the stealth/combat gameplay which typically holds true across AC titles. This one differs by offering 3 different "outfits" which give the player options as how to approach a given objective, which is a nice idea, but is implemented poorly, and reminds me more of the dress spheres from final fantasy x-2 which quickly ended my gameplay. The short and sweet is I would not recommend this game to anyone, AC fan or not, unless they were waiting for a better game to come out and had no better way to occupy their time. Unfortunately I fall into that category... Expand
  11. May 30, 2014
    Being one of the handful of gamers who actually owned a Vita and played Liberation on the handheld, I walked away with mixed feelings about it. Although it was the first handheld game to capture the Assassin's Creed experience, the lousy Vita enabled controls made the game very unpleasant to play. When I heard about the remake coming out for home consoles, I got excited, knowing fully wellBeing one of the handful of gamers who actually owned a Vita and played Liberation on the handheld, I walked away with mixed feelings about it. Although it was the first handheld game to capture the Assassin's Creed experience, the lousy Vita enabled controls made the game very unpleasant to play. When I heard about the remake coming out for home consoles, I got excited, knowing fully well that the vita controls would be gone, and the game would be improved ten fold. After playing it, I once again walked away with mixed feelings.

One thing that can't be disputed about the game is the graphic upgrade. Instead of just simply upping a texture here and there, Liberation got a complete graphic overhaul. All character models have been improved or changed and textures have been improved, but what really makes the game stand out is the overall improved color palate. The game is so much more colorful than the Vita version, and ultimately, the game looks good. However, the graphics don't hold up to anything coming out on the consoles now, so they're only going to be truly appreciated if you've played the Vita version. If you haven't, more than likely, you won't be impressed.

One thing that has been improved is the gameplay. In the previous version, the gameplay was great and held up to the Assassin's Creed series in both free running and combat. However, the game suffered whenever it tried to implement Vita controls. Using the rear touch pad to pickpocket barely functioned, the camera barely detected light sources, and one puzzle which required the Vita's tilt controls were so poor that they infuriated you. I was glad to see that every one of the Vita enabled controls were gone, and the game is improved as a result.

Another good thing the game did was improve the overall experience of the campaign. Missions have been modified in numerous ways, either by adding a cutscene using existing dialogue, changing or removing an objective to kill any tedium, or just changing the mission entirely. I enjoyed every tweak in the campaign, and it's better for it. However, the game did not do the same with it's side content.

Side content has always been arguably repetitive and usually underdeveloped, especially when in comparison to games like Red Dead Redemption, Grand Theft Auto, or the Batman Arkham series. No where is that more apparent than in this game. Liberation's side content is easily the worst of any Assassin's Creed game so far. Unlike the other games that usually have a few stand out side missions that can be considered memorable, Liberation has nothing. Every mission is an arcade style type. Go do this, and your mission is complete. What's worse is that they added even more of them. There are 15 new side missions, with 5 tailored to each persona. The Assassin missions are the weakest, and can be completed in literally two minutes each. The lady and slave missions are better, given that there's more of a story behind them. However, they just feel like 5 split up parts of one huge mission, rather than 5 small ones.

Aside from that, there's another thing Liberation did not improve, and that was the fast travel system. The only thing this game had to do to improve fast travel was to actually add it in the game. The areas in Liberation are not as big as the other worlds in the AC franchise, but it's still big enough to need fast travel. I actually expected Liberation to have it in the remake and was absolutely baffled when it wasn't at all. It would've been so easy to make the view points fast travel points like they did in Black Flag. Now, I know this game originally came out before AC4, but it's remake went under works after Black Flag had already established this concept, so the company deciding not to add this was just lazy, which only looks worse compared to all the small improvements the game did make.

Another is the whole "buying the city" concept. In Brotherhood and Revelations, you could buy parts of the city to increase your overall revenue, and in Liberation, you can buy the shops, but it doesn't do anything significant enough to make you want to do so. There's so little pay off to buying these shops, that it's not worth your time. The only thing they add is convenience, in terms of getting to the shops and your business, but that could be fixed with the fast travel I mentioned.

Lastly is the personas. The three personas is an interesting concept, being able to be an assassin, a slave, and the lady, but each persona has restrictions. The Assassin is notorious at all times, the slave has less health, less weapons, and no chain kill, and the lady has even less along with no climbing or running. The climbing for the lady is something I can understand, and each character has it's perks, but, overall, each persona feels like a you're only getting a piece of the full experience.

In the end, the game is an improvement, but it doesn't get every improvement the game needs. That's the long and short of it.
  12. Mar 19, 2015
    For me, Assassin's Creed III was the one entry in the series that really made me sit up and just appreciate how good everything about the franchise is. What many didn't know however is that a spinoff PS Vita game was released at the same time with the subtitle of Liberation. It featured the first AC female protagonist, was set in New Orleans and took place around the same time as theFor me, Assassin's Creed III was the one entry in the series that really made me sit up and just appreciate how good everything about the franchise is. What many didn't know however is that a spinoff PS Vita game was released at the same time with the subtitle of Liberation. It featured the first AC female protagonist, was set in New Orleans and took place around the same time as the events of Connor's quest, however it did feature more of a focus on the French Revolution as well. In this time of constant remasters and re-releases it is no surprise that a HD port of the game has been released. This is a great idea, as many die hard AC fans missed out on this game when it was exclusively released on Vita (however, many do love the series so much it's enough to get them to buy the new handheld...). But for those who have already bought the game, is it enough to warrant another purchase? In short, probably not unless you are a huge Creed lover, though those who haven't tried it should get right to it...

First up, the improvements on offer, Being that it is in the title, high definition obviously plays into the visual improvements of this entry. Everything is so much prettier and it looks almost as good if not just as good as ACIII. The character models are more detailed, more attention has been payed to the environments and the animation work is more advanced. Along with this, you can expect a smooth experience with barely any bugs at all. I love it when my games look better, but what about new content? There are a few new side missions with each one catering towards the multiple personality game mechanic that makes this such an innovative entry in the series. That's about an hour of new stuff and there are some new collectibles, but none of it is outstanding. The real fun still comes from the main campaign and the gameplay which has thankfully retained all of its allure.

The story centres around Aveline De Grandpre- a half French, half American lady who becomes caught up in the cause of the Assassins after the disappearance of her mother when she was young. You don't see Aveline go from a naive teenager to a mature adult killer across the course of the game and this is extremely refreshing. I was expecting another origin story that explains why Aveline wants to kill a tonne of Templars. What we get instead is a lack of overwrought exposition and that is probably the best thing about it all- this game assumes you've played a Creed title before and unlike other titles in the series it won't hold your hand for 3 hours. ACIII has a necessarily slow start, while this has a quick one. This diversity ensures that it can stand out from the game it is spinning off from. The length of the game is about 8 or so hours and as per usual there is a load of replayabilty if you plan on completing all of the sync challenges. The twist at the end is also great and recalls the stunning conclusion of the first Assassin's Creed. I won't spoil it any further, but I can say that this is a very accomplished, interesting narrative and while there are no present day missions, the future of the, well, future is looking good!

Liberation is just as smooth to play as its bigger predecessors and this is great as the transition to consoles seems to have gone without a hitch. Combat is very similar to that of III, though Aveline is noticeably lighter and faster than Connor. She has plenty of new animations and while she doesn't come with a trusty Tomahawk, she has a small sugar machete, a blowpipe and other weapons and gadgets that make fighting both tactical and enjoyable. The counter and attack system just works well and I love pulling off brutal finishing moves on enemies. Stealth is given a small focus with missions that require you to not get detected, but this is more of a fast paced action game than a slower paced, sneaky one. Parkour is also very much like the systems of III and Black Flag, with responsive movements and great free running. The real innovation comes in the form of Aveline's three personas- the Slave, the Lady and the Assassin. The style you pick determines your method of gameplay and the side activities you complete.

The side content itself is rather unremarkable, with some recruitment and assassination missions and collectibles that unlock cool bonuses, but nothing really noteworthy. The mission design is also a bit repetitive, with some chase and tail sequences that don't really stand alongside the greater moments of AC, like the battlefield attacks of III and the Queen Anne's Revenge part of IV. There are some stupid decisions as well, like the lack of parkour while playing as the Lady persona.

Liberation is probably my least favourite in the Creed series and it certainly doesn't reach the staggering heights of the fourth of fifth games. Still, I would recommend it to anyone who loves the franchise or is interested in a more unique kind of Assassin's game- its greatest strength is difference from the others.
  13. Jun 30, 2014
    Just finished this Assassin's Creed game. An HD remake of the PS Vita one. Never played the original one, so i don't really know about the difference. So this game starts a little different, out of the story of Desmond. Aveline, a half of French and African, found herself fighting to free the slaves under the guidance of Agate, one of the Brotherhood's Assassin.

Plus point: - A really

Plus point:
    - A really fresh lady assassin. Not much game has a woman as the main character now, so it's kinda fresh seeing aveline chopping and slashing people out in the field.
    - An unique Persona System. Aveline's characters are divided into 3: the slaves, the lady, and the assassin. Each with their own traits and skills, making it intersting in finishing some missions.
    - Mission with Connor? That's just awesome. At some point, you'll cross paths with Connor and went to strike enemy's fort together. Total epic.

Minus point:
    - Graphics are good sometimes but are bad sometimes. Sometimes you'll find yourself in the middle of the city with a verybdark surrounding (probably because of the sun), which makes it uncomfortable. I found myself using the Eagle Vision so many times just so i can see the surrounding. It still has a great grahics, but jaggy at some point.
    - The movement isn't as smooth as AC3. Sometimes i find myself running up against the wall like again and again when i already moved my analog to another directions.
    - Boring move set. I thought that we'll be seeing a new move set, considering she's a new character, but instead i saw her with the exact same move set with Connor. Pretty disappointing.
    - Weak story. The game has a really weak story and weak character backgrounds. Seeing Aveline moves blindly and killing peoples with that motives? Just weird.

In the end, the game is just okay. Not that good, but not bad either. Probably the 2nd worst AC game i ever played after AC1. I'll just give it a 6/10.

Most importantly from my perspective, Aveline is the most worthwhile female lead character since Ubisoft's own Jade from Beyond Good & Evil.
  2. Liberation has plenty of interesting things going for it, but is only essential for completionists. [March 2014, p80]
  3. Feb 26, 2014
    Liberation HD won't change anyone's mind about the Assassin's Creed series. It clings closely to the style of the series' earlier entries, but feels cramped even in comparison to those games.