• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: Oct 8, 2013
8.1

1. Oct 8, 2013
    Th game looks absolutely stunning (hats off to the modeling/animation/design team), but story- and gameplay-wise is just a hodgepodge of various ideas. It's almost as crazy as Indigo Prophecy.

One moment you are little girl with super powers, then you're in Somalia sprinting from one chest-high wall to another in order to assassinate a warlord, then you live with some native american family in the desert trying to fight off some evil-Vendigo-type-of spirit, then you're in Siberia infiltrating Korean underwater secret base in a submarine in order to blow up a ghost portal to another world..
    All main story twists are highly predictable, since its just a mix of several overused clichés.
    Gameplaywise, this game has an identity crisis. It tries to be so many things at once, but fails at most of them. Game's controls can be very unresponsive at times, especially when you ride a horse. Sometimes it doesn't matter what button or direction you push, the game just does its thing for you. Also there is no game-overs. It like playing Dragon's Lair game, failing all QTEs and you still progress in the story and still get to see the ending(s).
    With this game David Cage once and for all proved, that he is indeed M. Night Shyamalan of video games.
  2. Oct 8, 2013
    It's pretty sad that the game has no critic reviews.
    It's pretty sad that the game has no critic reviews.
    Anyway, here's the deal. The game is okay, but the developers showed way too much footage and spoiled way too many scenes in all the trailers they released. We ended up with a story that we know 80% of what happens in it. For a game that strives on story, it sucks that there wasn't much story to be told. By now i've used the word "story" quite a lot, but that's just what Beyond is: A story. An interactive one.
    It is way too linear. None of your choices influence any outcomes, unlike Heavy Rain, where every decision you made created a difference.
  3. Oct 8, 2013
    I went in believing this might be the next big blockbuster akin to something like aliens but it's rather disjointed and pretentious

wait till it comes to Netflix
  4. Oct 21, 2013
    Quantic Dream’s Heavy Rain pushed the boundaries on what a game can be during it’s day. It showed that game can make us become emotionally attached to the story and the characters. So Quantic Dream’s latest game ‘Beyond Two Souls’ has some boots to fill, but does it live up to the highly praised Heavy Rain? You bet.
    The game stars Hollywood heavyweights Ellen Page and Willem Dafoe. The
    The game stars Hollywood heavyweights Ellen Page and Willem Dafoe. The entire cast does a great of job playing their characters, but Ellen Page in particular deserves huge praise for her performance as she plays the role perfectly. I cannot praise her highly enough.

Page takes the lead as Jodie Holmes, a young girl who is born tied together with an invisible supernatural entity called Aiden. The game spans 15 years of her life, from age 8 to age 23. The game’s narrative goes back and forth to certain parts of those 15 years.

The gameplay in Beyond Two Souls is difficult to talk about. You will either love it or hate it. The game lets you switch between Jodie and Aiden. When playing as Jodie you interact with objects marked with a white dot. Her fighting mechanics are not very impressive. Time slows down in combat, you then have to move the right analog stick in whatever direction Jodie is moving to block, punch or kick. This is the games weakest aspect as it can sometimes be unclear which direction Jodie is moving, causing you to fail.
    Playing as Aiden is very different to playing as Jodie. You fly around interacting with objects marked by a blue dots. This includes possessing people, opening doors or even bringing down a whole building. Playing as Aiden is fun but as everything is pointed out to you, it doesn’t present much of a challenge.
    The gameplay in Beyond Two Souls has caused quite a stir amongst gamers. Many people are saying that Beyond Two Souls isn’t even a game. I can see why people would think this, as the game is basically an interactive movie. Sometimes it would take a while before I could carry on with the gameplay. I wish there would have been more player interactivity. Personally I am fine with this as the story makes up for the lack of interactivity.

The best way to describe Beyond Two Soul’s graphics is next-gen graphics on current-gen systems. The graphics are very impressive. Every scene in the game was filmed with advanced motion capture. Everything from facial expressions to body language was recorded and used in the game. Depending on the situation, Jodie’s walking animation will be different. For example when she’s a child, her arms will wave around like she’s skipping.
    The story in Beyond Two Souls is truly a memorable experience. The 2000 page story is the games strong point. It will make you feel a lot more emotional than most games or movies. It is captivating, well written and you are never bored. The choices in the game are extremely well done. The choices you can make vary from deciding what to cook on a date to deciding to save someone from dying. It gives the player a great sense of control. This gives the game a massive amount of replay ability. Many of these choices can result in consequence. I would say most of the big choices in the game happen near the end.
    The conclusion I have come too is that this game is not for everyone. If you enjoy brilliant stories and you liked Heavy Rain, then definitely give this game a shot. Beyond Two Souls can be described using one word only, unique.

Pro’s
     Fantastic story with branching narratives
     Extraordinary graphics and animations
     Quick Time Events are fun and challenging
     Top notch acting performances
     Lots of replay ability
     You never want it to end
    Cons
     Gameplay can be unintuitive and confusing at times
  5. Oct 13, 2013
    It's not for everyone. Like Heavy Rain before, and Indigo Prophecy before that, this is a game that will bring mixed opinions. So here's mine: This game pushes the PS3 to its limits. Some scenes do tend to show the PS3's age, but for the most part the game is near photo-realistic. I'd often forget that I was playing a "game."

As for the "game" part, this definitely plays a whole lot

As for the "game" part, this definitely plays a whole lot better than Heavy Rain. Where Heavy Rain felt clunky and cumbersome, Beyond feels great and controls fine for the most part. There were a couple of parts where I tried to explore a certain area and the camera got all wonky, but that was only because the game was trying to lead me somewhere with a fixed camera angle and I was trying to ignore it. Mapping the fight scenes to the right stick actually feels great and natural. It certainly limits the amount of buttons you're mashing. The UI is also simple and attractive. My only issue being that the small white dot is easy to lose on screen sometimes.

Moving on, the overall performances in the game are fantastic. Ellen Page is magnificent and Willem Dafoe is amazing as always. However, in the end, I felt like this game doesn't come close to the amazing story in Heavy Rain. The biggest issue with this game is that you are in control of just one character the entire game. So death isn't really an option. Which means that, one way or another, your character is going to make it out of any sticky situation. Whereas in Heavy Rain, I actually felt like my decisions carried some weight to them. But if you enjoyed Heavy Rain despite it's control issues, then I'm sure you'll enjoy Beyond: Two Souls despite it's own set of issues. Regardless, I'm definitely looking forward to what David Cage has in store for us for the PS4.
  6. Nov 6, 2013
    First the good things about the game.
    The character models look awesome even better than all the games I saw for PS4 on Gamescom. There are some memorable scenes. Usually the scenes describing the normal life of Jody are pretty good (the action scenes however are mostly terrible).
    Now the bad things. Your Charakter can't die or fail, this kills all the tension (I loved Heavy Rain, where
    First the good things about the game.
    Now the bad things.
    Your Charakter can't die or fail, this kills all the tension (I loved Heavy Rain, where every character was able too die and it would have a heavy impact on the outcome of the story).
    The controls are awful. You can move (Jody) more easily than the characters in Heavy Rain but in the quick time events you don't know what to do half the time. When someone attacks you don't know if you should push the stick towards your enemy (attack or counter) or away (for some evasive movement). Why not showing the direction like in Heavy Rain. Controlling Aiden is a pain in the ass too.
    Also there are only very few choices to make. You feel that you always have to do exactly what the game intends you to do. Story Changing Moments are very few.

All in all a great looking game with some good moments, but in total a back step compared to Heavy Rain.
  7. Nov 14, 2013
    Graphics: Great looking character models, nice looking environments/lighting, but some low-res textures in the objects. 9.

Sound: Hollywood voice actors, great soundtrack. 10. Gameplay: The game is filled with quick time events similar to Heavy Rain, although unlike Heavy Rain this game is a complete snorefest. You spend most of the game walking around and going into ghost mode

Sound: Hollywood voice actors, great soundtrack. 10.

Gameplay: The game is filled with quick time events similar to Heavy Rain, although unlike Heavy Rain this game is a complete snorefest. You spend most of the game walking around and going into ghost mode to manipulate object, but that is it. The first half of the game feels like a tutorial, and only 1 level in the game actually added average stealth gameplay. The rest is quicktime events and exploring, but the bad part is this game wasn't interesting. 6.

Story: The story is extremely boring, its a mix of playing scene after scene. The way the story is told is horrible. You play a part in the past, then in the future, then back in the past, and it just keeps scrambling the story around. The director thinks he has done something innovative but it is not, it just made the story uninteresting, uninspiring, confusing, and dumb. The only good thing about the game's story is that there is choice, and that there's a good plot twist. Beyond Two Souls trys too hard and never gives the experience that was Heavy Rain. 5.

Replay Value: If you like replaying snorefest scenes, but I sure will not. The game does add co-op so you and a buddy can enjoy the borefest together. I would normally ask that you purchase a game to support this kind of media, but beware this is no Heavy Rain, or Walking Dead, do not purchase this title. The actors do not warrant the price tag. The game case itself tells you that the director just wanted to make a movie and hiring Hollywood actors doesn't make this a good game. 5.

Overall Score: 7 out of 10.
  8. Jun 14, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Ok honestly this game is being heavily overrated by fans and i'm suprised there are so many 10/10s.

Beyond two souls has great graphics that improve over quantic dreams previous game, heavy rain. The voice acting is also done better with at least Jodie being a well developed character. That's where i think it ends. Comparing to heavy rain the combat is worse being to confusing and often you wont know what to do. It doesn't matter however if you don't get all of the moves right( you can literally put the controller on your lap and still win), using Aiden is extremely linear and gets old fast, The stealth section was absolutely terrible. The one stealth mission in the game is scripted so you don't have choice at how you can do the mission, it's all scripted which is not how you do stealth. Choices don't have consequences and alot of the levels in the game do not have anything to do with the overall plot, making the game have too much filler. All characters besides Jodie are executed poorly. William Dafoe's character forcefully goes through changes which comes out of no where and some people suddenly go from being an **** to being nice and friendly, literally out of no where. The main story is good but only a quarter of the missions in the game actually connect to the overall plot which is painful to go through all the other useless missions. The game is just too linear in most aspects. You cannot change the outcome of future events because the game does not go in order, you play back and for between adult Jodie and kid Jodie and she cannot die no matter what. Aiden like i said is also too linear. Some enemies you can kill and some you can only mind control or can't even touch at all with no explanation. There is too much action in the game and it feels boring because of the terrible controls and the fact that it really wont matter in the final outcome. Another reason why the action sucks is because Aiden can protect jodie at all times with his magic so when shes in trouble we always know that Aiden can use his powers to create a force field or choke them to death making me want to skip the action entirely.

Overall Beyond Two Souls is too linear with a linear story that has very few and small consequences, unlike heavy rain. it has linear and boring gameplay and a story full of filler with a ton of boring characters that are forcefully done except Jodie. The game has taken a step back from heavy rain in story and gameplay with only an increase in things such as voice acting and the graphics. Hopefully quantic dreams next game can have less action and be more like heavy rain or farenheit.

5/10-Worth a rental. Do not buy this game, it is not worth its price tag and is lacking in overall content.
  9. Oct 11, 2013
    When it comes to some games some do make enticing and amazing stories. But when it comes to Beyond Two Souls it's a bit like Heavy Rain but with less of an objective in mind. It's bland, confusing, and characters are robotic with drop of life. Beyond's gameplay is even boring and lifeless, as the controls either have you just pressing in on the sticks or pulling them out. This game hadWhen it comes to some games some do make enticing and amazing stories. But when it comes to Beyond Two Souls it's a bit like Heavy Rain but with less of an objective in mind. It's bland, confusing, and characters are robotic with drop of life. Beyond's gameplay is even boring and lifeless, as the controls either have you just pressing in on the sticks or pulling them out. This game had real potential, but it fell flat as it was boring and not interesting. Expand
  10. Oct 9, 2013
    First of all: Heavy Rain was way better in terms of story, storytelling and most important, Immersion.
    In beyond you never have the feeling that your actions have any consequences to the story.
  11. Oct 21, 2013
    Pros
    Excellent graphics
    Ellen Page turns in a good performance The homeless scene isn’t bad cons Incredibly restrictive gameplay Very little in the way of actual choice or influence on the game world Phenomenally tedious and dull nearly all the way through The QTE-driven action sequences are impossibly boring If you think about most plot elements for even a few seconds, they’re
    Pros
    Excellent graphics
    Ellen Page turns in a good performance
    The homeless scene isn’t bad

cons
    Incredibly restrictive gameplay
    Very little in the way of actual choice or influence on the game world
    Phenomenally tedious and dull nearly all the way through
    The QTE-driven action sequences are impossibly boring
    If you think about most plot elements for even a few seconds, they’re utter nonsense
    The disjointed structure just doesn’t work
    Troubling depictions of other races, and an ugly attitude towards humanity in general
  12. Oct 11, 2013
    Beyond: Two Souls is a beautifully made game. The graphics are phenomenal, as well as the cast and acting. If you want to be blown away by graphics, this game is for you. If you want to be blown away by awesome storytelling, this game is also for you. But if you're looking for epic gameplay, you might need to look elsewhere. This game is very storyline driven, and more-often-than-not, IBeyond: Two Souls is a beautifully made game. The graphics are phenomenal, as well as the cast and acting. If you want to be blown away by graphics, this game is for you. If you want to be blown away by awesome storytelling, this game is also for you. But if you're looking for epic gameplay, you might need to look elsewhere. This game is very storyline driven, and more-often-than-not, I felt more like an audience to a movie, rather than a gamer. Still worth purchasing however, because this game will take your breath away! Expand
  13. Oct 28, 2013
    I "beat" the game the other day. "Beat" is a lose term here because this game offers almost nothing to beat. Visually appealing? Hell yes. Challenging? Hell no. I played Heavy Rain and while it wasn't my favorite game I loved how involved it made me feel. I felt like every choice made was going to screw me over so the game really engaged me. That never happens in Beyond. The choices youI "beat" the game the other day. "Beat" is a lose term here because this game offers almost nothing to beat. Visually appealing? Hell yes. Challenging? Hell no. I played Heavy Rain and while it wasn't my favorite game I loved how involved it made me feel. I felt like every choice made was going to screw me over so the game really engaged me. That never happens in Beyond. The choices you have to make don't really effect the narrative because the game is already told in a non-linear order. So any choices you make won't matter. The only freedom of choice you have is toward the end of the game. But by then I was so disconnected I couldn't care less what happened. This game had potential though. If it were told In chronological order and it took us on a journey through Jodie's life, it would have been amazing. Because the premise is there, just not the gameplay. Playing as Aiden has its ups and downs. I don't understand why I can only kill and possess certain people. If these parts of the game were open ended, letting you decide how to take care of enemies, I would have loved it. That just points to what I said earlier about the game playing it self with almost no input required from the user other than find the white dots and trigger cut scene after cut scene. I hope Quantic Dream keeps making games like this though. Its unique yes, but its not a good game. The only things keeping this game above a 5 are Ellen Page's performance, and the visuals. 6.4/10 Expand
  14. Oct 8, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Beyond: Two Souls is a very uneven package, with some moments of real tearjerkers or edge-of-my-seat drama and other portions that seem like they were made for a different game entirely and in a very bad way. The plot itself is not horrible as a whole but the constant swinging back and forth between past and present make it more of a hassle to just figure out what is happening then it should be. Several times it was actually counterproductive, with some major story moments spoiled before swinging back to what lead up to it.

(WARNING: Some spoilers will be given from her on)

On the gameplay side there are two very distinct sections, the sections involving exploration (which dominate the first half of the game) and the sections involving infiltration/stealth (which dominate the second half). The exploration is interesting, especially with the introduction of apparition called Aiden. Similar to games like Heavy Rain, interacting with the world as Jodie can be both interesting from the conversations it sparks or tedious if its just busy work. The most interesting parts involve Aiden, the proxy that follows the main character around can do many typical "ghost" action from moving objects at will to scare other or to just assist Jodie to more aggressive actions like strangling or possessions (the latter used mostly for the other sections). While the mechanics can be unwieldy to use at times, these areas are usually open and detailed enough to make you feel it's worth investigating. The other sections involve Jodie and Aiden trying to sneak by or take out people. These sections feel more in tune with a Metal Gear or Splinter Cell title as they require using cover to remain out of sight and using Aiden to distract or take out select enemies. Aiden can even possess some people and use them to open a locked door, kill a comrade or even kill themselves (there are some pretty disturbing scenes). The bulk of gameplay shifts between these two sections and the change in tone is palpable, though you never feel in any real danger during "stealth." Even failure seems to be easily remedied with QTE fight scenes and failing that Aiden will simply choke out the attacker before the killing blow (begging the question why Aiden didn't intervene sooner).

But just like Heavy Rain, the Action is only a side dish to the Story and here is where we dig into Beyond: Two Souls. The story focuses on Jodie, a girl who has a mysterious "imaginary friend" named Aiden that has been tied to her for as long as she can remember, through the trials of her life. Following her traumatic childhood is gripping and her relationship with Nathan Dawkins is one of the most compelling aspects of the game. The story itself follows a non-linear format, which is a euphemistic way of saying it lurches back and forth through time with every new plot point. This is intriguing in the beginning as the player is dumped into strange situations with no context and must try to piece together the pieces of what is happening and just who Jodie and Aiden are. However, this quickly gets confusing and a lack of set-up or proper buildup to a situation make it seem completely out-of-nowhere. An example of this: one sequence has Jodie joining the CIA and training with them before cutting to her sleeping on a train before being hunted by local sheriffs with no reason given. In hindsight and with the entire plot revealed it does make more sense but in the moment it all seems more over-the-top and nonsensical than intriguing, which It felt it was trying to do. Poor execution hounds the story's latter half and drags the plot down, with dramatic scenes seeming heavy-handed and forced because of the lack of flow between scenes.

Things come to a head by the end and I won't go into details suffice to say it it stuffed full of cliches and heavy-handed scenes that come one after another so that it all just make it all seem less serious than it want to be. Personal choices have less of an effect on the ending but do color the ending somewhat which is not a bad thing, its just that the execution falls flat in far too many places for it to seem like it was the only option that could be given. The strong feelings felt during Jodie's childhood are found only sporadically by the end (anything to do with Dawkins and Jodie remain moments of brilliant drama) replaced by filler sections tie up loose ends.

There is a good game and a compelling story underneath this game, its just that the way that it's shown is confusing and by the end has devolved into using cliches.
  15. Oct 9, 2013
    Good graphics for a ps3 game,good story but no real decision making which makes the game suffer very much.Also the price point is too high for a interactive novel that with downgraded graphics would do a excellent ios/android game.
  16. Oct 10, 2013
    Graphics are fantastic and sometimes you forget it's a game, everything looks so real and attention to details is amazing. Story starts out just great and really intriguing. That is for the first 4-5 hours or so. And then plot collapses on itself, plot holes grow in numbers in every scene. It's just sad that Cage is not a writer but continues to try and inevitably fails every time. EveryGraphics are fantastic and sometimes you forget it's a game, everything looks so real and attention to details is amazing. Story starts out just great and really intriguing. That is for the first 4-5 hours or so. And then plot collapses on itself, plot holes grow in numbers in every scene. It's just sad that Cage is not a writer but continues to try and inevitably fails every time. Every story he writes sacrifices compelling story for the sake of plot twist. Every time he tries to surprise player and screw ups his characters (that are without their flaws in the first place), destroys story, creates dozens of plot holes along the way and ultimately the game itself suffers. It happened with Indigo Prophecy, it happened with Heavy Rain (not so much though) and it absolutely destroyed that game. It's a pity he can't just give his story for read proof or something to the actual writers.
    This was a decent game in first couple of hours, I would've given it 8 or 9.
    Then it kinda went off, action scenes are unnecessary and boring, with broken controls, you start to notice some plot holes and dumb characters decisions, and it might deserve 5-6.
    But then the ending comes and oh my god that is terrible. Last scenes are just pathetic. You watch it like a TV movie, it's so bad, it's characters are laughable (like CIA general, it's like he is from looney tunes or something, he is so evil and nasty and just cartoon villain), it's like ending was done in 1 week by a bunch of 8 years old. Who wrote that stuff? It's really bad even for FPS action shoot-em-up game. For a game that focuses on the plot it's atrocious! The ending is for 1-2 score AT MOST.

So it combines to 4-5 for me, but given the pretty graphics and nice technological achivement I'm giving this game 5 out 10. The ending ruined this game. Everything that happens at CIA building is just awful and people that are responsible for it should not try to write anything at all.
  17. Oct 9, 2013
    Positive:Graphics even better than crysis3 pc version overall especially the characters,cloth...
    facial emotions/technology is amazing!,music is pretty good,Aiden.Page,Dafoe Story is pretty interesting.
    Hungarian language! little jodie/homless/broken chapter! was my favorite the homless people was so friendly to jodie its like jodie real friends/parents.And the little jodie was veeeery cute i loved her.
    Negative:Something is very forced in the game, even if you doing the missions "differently" the outcome is pretty same or a little change. Romance plots is forced its prety ugly for me im a guy so i don't wanna watch a videogame character guys ass front of me its disgusting if i want to watch something like that i go and watch porn.Ryan is the worst charater he always "love" me even if i told him to back off and im not "love you" the story is too linear... and confusing,too short.so overall Heavy Rain was better.But still a masterpiece thats for sure!.
  18. Oct 11, 2013
    It started strong, was intriguing and held my interest. I played it two player with my wife and we had fun, but as the story developed it started to show how poorly written it was. Small details at first followed by odd reactions (apparently suicide is a-ok?) leading up to a frustratingly dumb ending and reveal. We rented it with the intention of buying if it was good to add to ourIt started strong, was intriguing and held my interest. I played it two player with my wife and we had fun, but as the story developed it started to show how poorly written it was. Small details at first followed by odd reactions (apparently suicide is a-ok?) leading up to a frustratingly dumb ending and reveal. We rented it with the intention of buying if it was good to add to our collection, this will not make it. Long story short, it wasn't worth the rental price to us. Expand
  19. Oct 17, 2013
    Whenever I try to rate this a seven, it changes to a nine. The game is fair, the dialogue is awkward at times. It is what it is. If you liked hard rain, then you will probably like this. I never had the chance to play the two player so I can't comment on that. But overall I enjoyed the game. As fas as I can tell, there is no way to ever fail at anything. You never have to reload or goWhenever I try to rate this a seven, it changes to a nine. The game is fair, the dialogue is awkward at times. It is what it is. If you liked hard rain, then you will probably like this. I never had the chance to play the two player so I can't comment on that. But overall I enjoyed the game. As fas as I can tell, there is no way to ever fail at anything. You never have to reload or go back. Which is cool. The story keeps moving forward. Expand
  20. Oct 12, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. this game should have got 10/10 but there are a few issues.
    1. very confusing first half, shambolic chronology -1 point
    2. no save before the last part of "Black SUN", fail and you have to reload the whole chapter.
    3. dialogue from "broken" chapter missing from the policeman,it was shown in demo (video) after the coffee cup hits the wall, he gets the heebee geebees, gives his excuse and slinks out of the room,this was cut from the final, and takes away immersion.
    4. there's no very hard mode with slow-mo actions cut. would like to play some fight scenes full on.
    5. ludicrous sci-fi story writing with the "condenser" and "infraworld" i almost stopped playing right there. almost as bad as the "Trigens" in Far Cry. a more simpler story about real people would have sufficed, even Dawkins personal spiritworld machine would have been enough and a fitting end if the game was more fleshed out with teen years chapters and CIA missions -3 points
  21. Oct 10, 2013
    THE GOOD, Amazing graphics, great performances from Helen Paige and Dafoe, controlling Aiden is fun, interesting characters, some very moving moments in the story.

THE BAD, Combat gameplay is confusing, frustrating, not that satisfying. Story starts off very strong, but then plot holes, poor character behaviors, clichés start to appear. The ending, it feels like David Cage ran out of ideas and just went Ah F***k IT, THIS WILL DO". Choices and mistakes are not as important as they were in the heavy rain.

A very good game, i strongly recommend it to any PS3 owner. But the gameplay is rather "Meh". Now i know, i know. "This game is 90% about the story, think of it as an interactive movie experience".

Well... See... I knew all that, and i wasn't expecting much from the gameplay. But if you are going to put all your cards on story... Then i am going to be very demanding on that part.

And well.... 2013 as given us it's fair share of good stories in Video games. Last of us, Bioshock Infinite have far better stories then Beyond two souls and they didn't need to sacrifice the gameplay for it.
    The characters are great, Helen Paige is AMAZING. The story actually starts very good, but then you have the "plot twists" and the story falls from it's own weight.

Quantic dream needs to hire a talented writer (David Cage, like Lindelof tends to force plot twists too much. To the point of breaking a story that actually starts off well). Finally, if QTE is all you're going to deliver, don't put so much emphasis on combat and action. Heavy Rain was perfect as it focused mainly on investigation and exploration. With just a little bit of action to keep things interesting. Beyond two Souls is too many Michael Bay action moments. It doesn't matter how many explosions you put on the screen. It's still just a quick time event.

The "action" sequences bring nothing to the table.

Still i really liked this game, and again i strongly recommend it. But again, for a game that is mostly about story rather then gameplay. And on that aspect, other games that have more gameplay value have managed to deliver much better stories.
  22. Oct 10, 2013
    Beyond two Souls is a beautiful game, let that be said. Much like the previous game from QuanticDream (Heavy Rain) it is visually stunning. Yet that is where the comparison stops, playing through Beyond two Souls, I was mostly disappointed by the mix in genre, there's a little bit of everything here, action, adventure, horror theres simply too much and it waters down the plot. Instead ofBeyond two Souls is a beautiful game, let that be said. Much like the previous game from QuanticDream (Heavy Rain) it is visually stunning. Yet that is where the comparison stops, playing through Beyond two Souls, I was mostly disappointed by the mix in genre, there's a little bit of everything here, action, adventure, horror theres simply too much and it waters down the plot. Instead of focussing on the creepy and spooky, QuanticDream took it too far and mixed too many story-lines into one. It felt cluttery in some parts and completely irrelevant in others, there were points in the game I absolutely hated and others I really really enjoyed.
    Gameplay:
    Gameplay is much like Heavy Rain and it takes a little time to adjust, but personally I didn't mind the focus on interactivity rather than direct control, I was more interested in the story and people complaining about it, well I guess its a matter of taste really.
    Final thoughts:
    Basically it is a good game it falls in my humble opinion on a few but fatal flaws. Some irrelevant and boring storyline parts, too much mixture of genres and finally I lacked the sense of urgency, I was never really afraid for my characters, never scared that I'd might loose them. Like I was when playing "Heavy Rain" and frantically screaming while mashing buttons, I never got there with Beyond Two Souls and I think its mostly because they never really took the story in one clear line, there was too much to do and too little substance to it. Having said that I will never stop playing QuanticDream games. Try it out
  23. Oct 12, 2013
    I was very disappointed, couldn't wait for it to end. Pros -Ellen Page's acting, thats about it. Graphics were ok, I don't understand why they paid so much attention to detail when max resolution is 720p, seems pointless. Cons story was very erratic, jumping from all different ages, I couldn't keep what point i was at in her life straight. Controls were terrible, had a hard timeI was very disappointed, couldn't wait for it to end. Pros -Ellen Page's acting, thats about it. Graphics were ok, I don't understand why they paid so much attention to detail when max resolution is 720p, seems pointless. Cons story was very erratic, jumping from all different ages, I couldn't keep what point i was at in her life straight. Controls were terrible, had a hard time determining what direction i was supposed to push the analog stick in during slow motion attack/defense sequences. Camera angles for third person seemed to be a constant irritation. I thought the story was full of lots of tacky cliches that seemed to just never end one after another.

Overall, I'm trading it in as soon as possible before the game companies realize they have an influx of these used and only give you a dollar credit.
  24. Oct 17, 2013
    "Video game" or not, Beyond: Two Souls doesn't fully live up to being a good movie or a good video game, but that doesn't mean you should miss this extraordinary "game"!

First of all, the story is a bit of a mess even literally speaking. The tone is all over the place, half of the scenes are complete filler, some sections stay true to the plot while the fillers mostly feel like B-grade subplots that fail to evoke any truthful emotion from the player.

For all the things the game gets wrong there's still a very poignant story Beyond all that. The game explores many themes ranging from what it means to be different and how you should handle it, to exploring problems in modern society such as homeless people and war in the middle-east. Unfortunately most of these don't connect in a meaningful way to the actual main plot of the game and feel more like distractions than anything genuine. The main themes of sorrow and how to deal with loss, and Jodie's struggle to life through her special life are the parts that make the game "human" and most of the scenes revolving around these issues are touching at best.

When everything is said and done, It's hard not to feel content but since there are so much time wasted on meaningless parts that make the story feel more disjointed that it should the game still ends up having a mediocre flavor to it. Next time I hope David Cage is more focused on what he actually wants to write about, and then actually stays on topic instead of exploring so many irrelevant issues.
  25. Oct 10, 2013
    Good graphics Amazing story,O.K gameplay and interesting characters. the gameplay was very weak and i mean very and overall it was great except it felt too much of a movie not more of a game
  26. Oct 19, 2013
    Although it boasts a great storyline, acting, script and graphics, I still left the game very disappointed that I paid for the Special Edition version. The game itself I completed in half a day, it was way too short for me, and the extra 30 minutes of gameplay that came with the Special Edition is nothing but a con as you can complete the level in ten minutes.

The game is good but it

The game is good but it didn't reach the levels I felt Heavy Rain met.
  27. Nov 16, 2013
    This... interactive movie... isn't bad, it just isn't that good either. I guess it's supposed to be about story but you really lose the immersion every time you commit any action, because every action you commit has the TV basically screaming at you 'YOU ARE IN A VIDEO GAME SO MASH THE CORRESPONDING BUTTON QUICKLY WITHIN THE TIMEFRAME OR YOU WILL PROBABLY NOT REALLY GET PUNISHED AT ALL'.This... interactive movie... isn't bad, it just isn't that good either. I guess it's supposed to be about story but you really lose the immersion every time you commit any action, because every action you commit has the TV basically screaming at you 'YOU ARE IN A VIDEO GAME SO MASH THE CORRESPONDING BUTTON QUICKLY WITHIN THE TIMEFRAME OR YOU WILL PROBABLY NOT REALLY GET PUNISHED AT ALL'.

For me it completely ends any immersion and it's becoming all to common in video games. Rely on your gameplay to create spectacular moments!

Anyway, like I said, it isn't bad, the story is relatively interesting in it's own way, though I doubt it will stick with you for long, it certainly didn't me.

It doesn't help that for me, and other I know, this game followed on from The Last of Us.
  28. Oct 25, 2013
    As a gamer who was enthralled by Quantic Dream's last production ("Heavy Rain") I'm a bit conflicted about this game.

On one hand, the game does a great job of getting you to care about what happens to Jodie and the characters around her. Ellen Page does an awesome job as Jodie Foster, and Willem Dafoe knocks his character out of the park, as well. The supporting cast is also very good, as well. Some scenes are incredibly well done, and leave a lasting moral impression (akin to that of what "Heavy Rain" did).

However, the story is a bit convoluted and jumps back and forth way too much. I feel it may have been better presented if it stuck on one tangent for longer than one major life event. At one point, something very important happens, and then you are taken back to a time far before that major event happens. This happens too much for its own good, as you never really get much of a bearing on what is happening because of the constant switching of settings (at least until the end). While it will be fine for some, I don't think it was necessarily the best way of telling the story.

In addition, the slow motion controls are very counter-intuitive if you play on the harder difficulty setting. I often found myself guessing at which way I should be pushing the directional stick. It seemed so obvious to push it one way, but I ended up being wrong. It was a good idea in theory, but it wasn't executed very well.

Outside of that, though, the other main part of the gameplay (controlling the supernatural spirit Aiden) works pretty well, for the most part. I found that using Aiden to mess with people (and the environment around Jodie) was rather fun, and using him to control and choke out Jodie's foes was also a very interesting game mechanic. It goes off mostly without a hitch, but you do run into some places where you don't know what to do every now and again (although you will usually be redirected by Jodie telling you what to do).

I bought the game and had some pretty lofty expectations after playing "Heavy Rain." Needless to say, the game fell a bit short. There were some aspects of the game that were excellently executed ("The Mission" was especially awesome, in my opinion), and there were some aspects that needed some fine-tuning (namely the slow-motion action sequences).

With that being said, I'd absolutely recommend playing it if you are a fan of Quantic Dream's games, especially when the price drops. I don't necessarily think it was worth $60, but I'd certainly advise buying it at $30 (or probably $40). David Cage did a great job with the story-telling, even though the presentation of the story may not have been the best. Go into it with lower expectations than me while knowing what to expect out of Quantic Dream games, and you will likely have a great experience.
  29. Oct 15, 2013
    Though it's no Heavy Rain, Quantic Dreams latest venture into the world of interactive drama is still (at its best) a memorable experience that will be yet another fond memory of the final days of the PlayStation 3 generation.

The game itself is hard to categorize as an actual game, as there does not necessarily have to be a winner and/or a loser, David Cages' story just wants to be told and experienced and though you make choices along the way, in terms of things like the way conversations unfold, the outcome rarely differs.

I think that the first main problem with the game is that the story feels in places, forced. There were several parts of the game that were in fact some of the longer chapters, that felt unnecessary. Though they may have been intended to contribute to character development, the in game version of Ellen Page which I controlled for the (around) 10hr story was often just a reflection of my personality, and where I had choice in what to say or do, I would proceed with the actions that I saw fit, and not what the character would do.

Don't get me wrong, I love the element of choice in the game, and the fact that the story proceeded in such a way, despite my control in some areas, it was something that I still managed to enjoy.

Gameplay has been simplified since the days of Heavy Rain, and this is a problem, things that would have once posed a challenge, like having to hold five buttons on the controller simultaneously, are now gone.

Performances by Ellen Page and Willem Dafoe are top notch, and there are some definite notable mentions with several side characters.
    The score is perfectly melded to the overall game, and Hans Zimmer delivers yet another successful soundtrack.

The overall experience is an enjoyable piece that deserves a play-through if for nothing but the excellent performances.
  30. Oct 18, 2013
    MINOR SPOILERS Beyond: Two Souls really pushed my Playstation to its limits. The graphics are beautiful, the characters are great. The story has an interesting concept, but it is not so well executed. It becomes quite predictable halfway through the game, and your choices do not have any weight to it, unlike Heavy Rain. The ending does not get affected by your in-game choices (except forMINOR SPOILERS Beyond: Two Souls really pushed my Playstation to its limits. The graphics are beautiful, the characters are great. The story has an interesting concept, but it is not so well executed. It becomes quite predictable halfway through the game, and your choices do not have any weight to it, unlike Heavy Rain. The ending does not get affected by your in-game choices (except for one, I believe), and that is what prevents the game from getting a higher score. Unlike The Wolf Among Us, which learns from its predecessor (The Walking Dead), Beyond does not, and its gameplay worsens in my opinion. In the end, it's still a fantastic game, but just not worth the price. Wait for the price to lower around 40 bucks. Expand
  31. Oct 26, 2013
    I really wanted this game to be better... It's hard to review this, and after Quantic Dream made Heavy Rain I wanted this game to have an awesome story, that did not happen. The voice acting? Not so good, except for Ellen Page, and some times, she too feels a little bit out of place, to be honest. David Cage wrote games in the past, and it's hard to understand how Neil Druckmann, who wroteI really wanted this game to be better... It's hard to review this, and after Quantic Dream made Heavy Rain I wanted this game to have an awesome story, that did not happen. The voice acting? Not so good, except for Ellen Page, and some times, she too feels a little bit out of place, to be honest. David Cage wrote games in the past, and it's hard to understand how Neil Druckmann, who wrote The Last Of Us, did a much better job considering it was his first time. The combat system is messy, the gameplay is the same comparing with Heavy Rain, and the graphics are amazing really. But I wanted something better, and I know that a lot of people were expecting something more of this game. I never felt apart of the story until the two decisions in the very end, which was sad, Heavy Rain was better on that approach. Overall a decent game, but could have been so much better, it's a shame really. Expand
  32. Oct 14, 2013
    I'm a huge fan of Quantic Dream's games, I don't just want to say that this game is really bad, but I want to explain why this is bad and why you shouldn't buy it (at full price, at least). This review is spoiler free.

-STORY- Quantic Dream's games are always remembered for their storylines and the approach to the story. They make adventure games, however, instead of linear story with

-STORY-
    Quantic Dream's games are always remembered for their storylines and the approach to the story. They make adventure games, however, instead of linear story with tons of riddles, we don't get riddles at all, but a story that changes with our decisions, giving every player a sort of unique experience.
    The story of Beyond is divided in chapters, these chapters doesn't follow a timeline, they just jump back and forward. Because of this, the plot always spoils itself, telling what happened next even if you haven't really seen it yet, while you'll going to play it after, bringing you into situations where you're doing things and you already know what the end will be. Most characters (except Jodie) are ruined by this thing: you already know who's good and who's bad without even knowing them. You will never feel a turn of event in this game because of this. However, this is not to say that the story is good and the storytelling is bad, because the story is not that good either: characters are flat, tons of characters just appear one time and will disappear for the rest of the story, and there are a lot of dull parts where there's absolutely no new information in the plot. But the real flaw in this game is that all actions have no consequences, the game is linear, there aren't different scenes like Heavy Rain for example, answering in different ways to characters for example doesn't bring you to a different place. This game have multiple endings, the endings are based through 2 factors: a choice in the ending itself, and life/death of other characters. Just as I already said, all characters (except for one) have no meaning in the storyline, they appear in a scene and will disappear forever, whatever they live or not, so there's no real reason why the should change the ending of the game.
    Basically, this game fails in its concept, where Quantic Dream is usually strong.

-GAMEPLAY-
    Gameplay wise, this game is pretty similar to other Quantic Dream's games, you basically must choose what to do, pressing the correct buttons to do it. Failing at it won't have real consequences, because the game/plot is linear, you'll just get a different animation or the game will ask you to repeat the sequence. You can play with Aiden, too. Basically the gameplay is similar to Jodie's, you can interact with things or people that have a particular icon, if you fail there are no consequences even in this case. The gameplay is inconsistent, you will want to do everything correct just to collect trophies... You can play with a friend or using a special app. This can be cool, but not that fun, the game was made to be played alone, so in most parts even if a player controls Jodie and the other Aiden they don't really play together, in most cases they just play in turns.

-GRAPHICS-
    Graphics are really good, the game has really detailed characters and environment. You will see a lot of places, and every single place is gorgeous. Technically the game suffers frame-rate issues in some cases, however graphically is pretty strong. Even if this game have stars in its cast, it doesn't mean that other character are bad graphically: even normal people have a very detailed face. Camera is very limited in our hands, but it is always in a good position to give us an epic scene.

-SOUND-
    Sound is good in every aspect: from music, to effects, to voice acting. Voice acting is really strong, volume is always correct. Music is good too.

-GAME LENGTH AND REPLAY VALUE-
    This game is really, really short: you can finish it in one-two days obtaining most trophies too. In 5 days you should be able to see all endings and plat. There's no replay value at all, since the game is so linear that you can change anything, and the gameplay is not fun to play it again. Endings can help you replay it, however since the choices are in a really advanced portion of the game, you'll just have to replay from it to the ending (something like 2 or 3 hours at most).

-CONCLUSION-
    For all the reasons explained, Beyond deserves a 6. The great work in acting, and sound, is ruined by a weak plot, a bad storytelling, an horrible lack of choices, weak characters' personality and dull gameplay.
  33. Oct 12, 2013
    Its honestly pretty good, but you have to ask you self before picking it up if you're willing to stay tuned in to a story, you're paying 60 dollars for a movie, there is very little gameplay involved, the story is good but at the same time it skips around too much, rather than keep the story steady it jumps around times and you are left to piece together what happened inbetween, which isntIts honestly pretty good, but you have to ask you self before picking it up if you're willing to stay tuned in to a story, you're paying 60 dollars for a movie, there is very little gameplay involved, the story is good but at the same time it skips around too much, rather than keep the story steady it jumps around times and you are left to piece together what happened inbetween, which isnt hard at all but the question is why would they make the players do that if you could put the times in order and get the same result?

The first half of the game is just jumping into "important moments" in the main characters life some of them are touching while others just have you go into a room and pack your things to leave. the story makes sense but the way it is told through the flash backs is a little offsetting. basically the story only shows what it thinks are important moments in the characters live, the game will skip randomly by months and even years to show you nothing important happened that whole time. Which is good and bad in a way, good because it sort of makes sense but its bad for the gameplay, the game could have honestly just taken place in a few weeks time rather than the years and months it tried to advance in.

only buy this game if you're into story, this game offers little gameplay but if you look past that you get to see a pretty interesting and original story.
  34. Ogr
    Oct 14, 2013
    Graphics and acting of this game are incredible, can't wait to see the next step on a PS4.
    The Story is interesting, but it has some clichés like the typical arabs, the U.S. General...
    Beyond Two Souls is an interactive Movie, the problem here is just that you can't make a lot of decisions that have consequences and the story is not thoughtful enough to entertain me the whole game while doing nothing.

The technology: 10/10

But....rest of the game: 6/10

As a huge fan of Heavy Rain I am still curious about the next project...
  35. Oct 23, 2013
    Beyond: Two Souls shines most with it's excellent presentation, acting and beautiful graphics which all easily involve the player into it's supernatural plot which unfortunately is more linear than it leads you to believe. The story may have been interesting enough to play through but it's quickly forgotten.
  36. Oct 26, 2013
    A major let-down compared to Heavy Rain;- one of Quantic Dream's finest hours. Beyond: Two Souls fails to match the spirit and style and instead is a disjointed mess that is lacking in narrative and gameplay elements. Heavy Rain was incredibly unique with a stunning atmosphere and engrossing story. The interactive elements were neatly implemented as was the depth behind decisions andA major let-down compared to Heavy Rain;- one of Quantic Dream's finest hours. Beyond: Two Souls fails to match the spirit and style and instead is a disjointed mess that is lacking in narrative and gameplay elements. Heavy Rain was incredibly unique with a stunning atmosphere and engrossing story. The interactive elements were neatly implemented as was the depth behind decisions and actions. Two Souls strips all the positives of Heavy Rain and delivers a disappointing interactive movie with minimal gameplay activity and an uninspiring story. If you can appreciate the sheer effort in the product as demonstrated; you may enjoy it more but for those looking for a game with a thrilling story should look elsewhere. Disappointing to say the least. Expand
  37. Oct 26, 2013
    This is my first review. I am a big fan of Quantic dream writing a concise, spoiler-free review intended for fans quite familiar with prior Quantic Dream releases.

+ • Graphics are very nice. • Music, when audible, is very good. Yet it is less of a motif than Normand Corbeil's prior work. • Cinematically nice to watch. - • Sad loss of actions with big consequences. • Lack of

• Graphics are very nice.
    • Cinematically nice to watch.

• Sad loss of actions with big consequences.
    • Lack of fear from impending death.
    • Excessively simple gameplay (the tutorials were by far the hardest parts of the game!)
    • *Loss of thoughts ability*- biggest downfall for me, it makes it harder to identify with the character(s).

Conclusion: I think this may have been a slight 'relative' slunk for the high standards of Quantic Dream for gripping gameplay, yet an exceptional performance in cinematic quality. Sadly, the net result on 'immersive gameplay' is quite a drop.
  38. Nov 1, 2013
    Beyond two souls has a okay story, but it's just a movie, not a interactive movie, just a movie. your choices do not matter the only choices that affect the game is the one at the end. god they should of made Kara instead. Is this really worth £40/$60 just for a movie that your choices do not matter?
  39. Dec 1, 2013
    Not impressed me much. Beyond the two souls has many original ideas, that was not realized like they should. The storyline is quite stupid and ridiculous, and there is not much gameplay at all. I must say, that to me it is no more then cheap movie.
  40. May 22, 2014
    Beyond: Two Souls is very a very disappointing follow-up to Heavy Rain. The story this time around is a cluttered mess, the gameplay is not as compelling, and the characters are boring. You know you're game is in trouble when the best part is the musical score.
  41. Jul 14, 2015
    As a game, this falls short, because the controls don't make you feel fully connected to the character. It feels like you are only halfway controlling the events, unlike a silent hill type game. This game is sort of like Time Gal and the cut scenes from Tomb Raider, with some limited control as to where you go. The pace can get frantic as you are expected to do certain control sequences. AAs a game, this falls short, because the controls don't make you feel fully connected to the character. It feels like you are only halfway controlling the events, unlike a silent hill type game. This game is sort of like Time Gal and the cut scenes from Tomb Raider, with some limited control as to where you go. The pace can get frantic as you are expected to do certain control sequences. A lot of this game is like an action movie. The graphics are gorgeous and obviously the main showcase. Ellen Page did an awesome job. Calling this a game and judging it based on gaming, its not really much. As an interactive movie its quite cool. If they had made the walking controls more precise or gave the user extra control over characters, this might be more engaging. Expand
  42. Mar 7, 2014
    For fans of experiments, at least the first hour is highly recommended. Let me just say the camera-work is unique. But then it just keeps going. It's like a movie about walking, 80% of the time. The story affected me emotionally, the graphics made me say "wow" out loud several times, the acting impressed me and kept me engaged. But it's still mainly images of someone walking throughFor fans of experiments, at least the first hour is highly recommended. Let me just say the camera-work is unique. But then it just keeps going. It's like a movie about walking, 80% of the time. The story affected me emotionally, the graphics made me say "wow" out loud several times, the acting impressed me and kept me engaged. But it's still mainly images of someone walking through sceneries. And it doesn't convey anything about that act. Plus I got stuck in doorways a few times, was stressed out unnecessarily by the QTE button-mashing, and found every single 'puzzle' obvious. It's the most photo-realistic game I've ever played, but aside from graphics, it's barely two-dimensional. Expand
  43. Aug 14, 2014
    This movie had potential to be a game, but failed in that department. It was an interactive story at most and the fact that it had movie-theme credits at the end shows how it was developed. Even Heavy Rain was better than this. Overall a good storyline but confusing ending(s), that seem to imply a sequel (possibly), but if that was do happen, would not play it. Would recommend watching aThis movie had potential to be a game, but failed in that department. It was an interactive story at most and the fact that it had movie-theme credits at the end shows how it was developed. Even Heavy Rain was better than this. Overall a good storyline but confusing ending(s), that seem to imply a sequel (possibly), but if that was do happen, would not play it. Would recommend watching a walkthrough before considering to get an idea of what you're getting into. Expand
  44. Feb 27, 2014
    It was enjoyable, but not nearly as much as Heavy Rain or Fahrenheit.
    For those that don't know these are games of same people that made this one.
    It was enjoyable, but not nearly as much as Heavy Rain or Fahrenheit.
    For those that don't know these are games of same people that made this one.

Those previous games were less about saving the world (Fahrenheit was, but only near the ending, which sucked horribly anyway) and more about characters dealing with their falling apart for some reason. It was about interaction between different characters - here you only play Jodie&Aiden.

It lacked...I don't know...intrigue? Something to keep you on your toes. Maybe it was because the story was presented this awkwardly - it ruined my immersion sometimes. Interesting way to present a story, but I think it was too fragmented and would prefer chronological presentation.

QTE were much bettter than thier previous games without retarted flashing colors Fahrenheit had. Nice job here.

Jodie is an interesting character, and Aiden too, I'm glad they've explained WHY Aiden was with her all the time. Other characters felt really nicely developed too ! I especially liked Nathan and Cole, yeah they were probably a little bit cliche, but still great characters.

They wrapped up the plot nicely. Multiple endings of which most made sense. Potential hint of future sequel maybe ?

It gets a solid 7/10 from me.
    And for those who are bashing this game for its story....maybe try Call of Duty. Something with a story more fit for your intellectual possibilities.
  45. Dec 5, 2013
    I believe giving 10 to this game is over rating and giving zero is under rating. We need to become more mature.
    The game falls between 5 and 8. any score between 5 and 8 should be somehow reasonable.
    The game is new for me. First time to do this type of gameplay. And I do have mixed feelings about it. But generally I liked it and I don't mind play it again. The controls aren't
    The controls aren't challenging at all. just sometimes confusing. And thankfully the game doesn't punish you for failing. Except for few areas. I felt is somehow realistic. As you aren't supposed to be super hero. And if you are then you truly managed your controller very well and you deserve it :)
    Ok the Story. Very interesting story. But I think Cage got too excited and didn't deliver what he really wanted to tell. Making the story fragile. I didn't like the jumps in the timeline. I would prefer it playing it in ordered sequence. For example in Homeless chapter I wanted to know why Jodie run away. She said that she was being used. I wanted to know how and in what way. And actually I would prefer to know that before playing this chapter.

Decisions you made in the game has no effect in anyway. It just could change the game play but not how the story will flow. Decisions and conversation control are there just to keep you interacting with the game and cut scenes

Acting in superior. All actors. Homeless chapter was fantastic in acting.
    I agree that there are moments that where boring in the game. Specially when you replay a chapter. You just wish to be able to skip few parts. You already knew.

Saving. Why I can't pause and save my game! This one feature I really would love to have. I wanted to be able to save at some point to be able to return and restart from that point. I don't want to replay a whole chapter to just do one single different action.

It's not easy to like this game and if you do you'll love it so much. And if not you'll just hate it.
    I gave it 6.5 on IGN and I will give it here 7

One last thing. Please guys be mature in reviewing. don't score games just because it's score is too low or too high. No need to be fan boys. This game isn't 10 nor zero. It's a good game. But got missed up for some reason. And this is acceptable. No need to be radical.
  46. Jul 13, 2014
    When I started the game it was really interesting, I wanted to know more about the story but as the game goes on It gets a boring. For me the breakpoint was "Navajo", after that the game was less interesting and kinda "rushed". Also the fight sequences are annoying and unpredictable at some point, I hated those. Also the lack of goals is somewhat reasonable but it was really frustrating asWhen I started the game it was really interesting, I wanted to know more about the story but as the game goes on It gets a boring. For me the breakpoint was "Navajo", after that the game was less interesting and kinda "rushed". Also the fight sequences are annoying and unpredictable at some point, I hated those. Also the lack of goals is somewhat reasonable but it was really frustrating as well. Other than that I like the "storytelling" games but this was just "good/average". Expand
  47. Jan 17, 2014
    Wanted to like it more than I actually did, especially because Heavy Rain is one of my favourite games of all time. But the non-linear storyline is weak and you feel as though your choices don't matter - the player is robbed of what makes games unique - agency - as they're just trying to get to the next scene. The QTE "flick the stick" is too streamlined and unsatisfying as well.
  48. Nov 1, 2013
    The game looks great both ingame and during cutscenes with only the occasionally bad texture or two. Surprisingly the acting on everyone's part isn't anything special (and I'm a big fan of both Ellen Page and Willem Dafoe and the dialogue is also pretty basic and disinteresting. The story contains some good ideas and moments but is undone by the following: jarring shifts in tone rangingThe game looks great both ingame and during cutscenes with only the occasionally bad texture or two. Surprisingly the acting on everyone's part isn't anything special (and I'm a big fan of both Ellen Page and Willem Dafoe and the dialogue is also pretty basic and disinteresting. The story contains some good ideas and moments but is undone by the following: jarring shifts in tone ranging from horror, to sci-fi, to drama, to thriller, and so on. What's worst is that nothing happens in order and as such, you find it very hard to care about what's going on even the story. I wish the game had been mostly chronological. The gameplay is mostly contextual acitons and sometimes it works, others it doesn't. Controlling Aiden is a lot of fun though and this is the kind of game where playing with friends around makes for some decent entertainment. I don't think Beyond Two Souls is a bad game but I'm not super into it either. Still enjoyed it for what it's worth though. Expand
  49. Dec 15, 2013
    Honestly, this game has everything going for it, a great plot, great character dynamic, great music, great graphics, it is so cinematic and dark and there is such emotion in it, but the one thing I just can't get around is the fact that you can only interact with cutscenes, it makes for a great movie but why would I pay 60 dollars to see a movie? I wish there was more player controlHonestly, this game has everything going for it, a great plot, great character dynamic, great music, great graphics, it is so cinematic and dark and there is such emotion in it, but the one thing I just can't get around is the fact that you can only interact with cutscenes, it makes for a great movie but why would I pay 60 dollars to see a movie? I wish there was more player control instead of just deciding how the story is gonna play out. Shame because this probably plays one of the most important roles in the game. Expand
  50. Nov 4, 2013
    Beyond: Two Souls is hard to describe. It does so many things right, but unfortunately also very wrong. For me it has been a journey with a lot of ups and downs. The story starts off well, but is constantly being poor that it can be compared to a mean Hollywood production. The music is fantastic and the same with the graphic. But I played this game for the story and because ofBeyond: Two Souls is hard to describe. It does so many things right, but unfortunately also very wrong. For me it has been a journey with a lot of ups and downs. The story starts off well, but is constantly being poor that it can be compared to a mean Hollywood production. The music is fantastic and the same with the graphic. But I played this game for the story and because of disappointment over how cliche and transparent the story is I can not give it more than a six. Expand
  51. Apr 2, 2014
    The problem with this game is that the gameplay is almost nonexistent so you can just experience it by watching a Youtube walkthrough. Some of the scenes are pretty emotional tho' (I may or may not have cried)
  52. Nov 8, 2013
    SHORT REVIEW Looks great but arguably that's the only good thing about it. Characters look real but NPC's don't look as impressive. Buildings, rooms and surrounding environment look well but with few texture bugs. The story is non interesting and choices rarely matter and honestly directed and written badly. During QTE scenes it doesn't matter if you press a button or not the game playsSHORT REVIEW Looks great but arguably that's the only good thing about it. Characters look real but NPC's don't look as impressive. Buildings, rooms and surrounding environment look well but with few texture bugs. The story is non interesting and choices rarely matter and honestly directed and written badly. During QTE scenes it doesn't matter if you press a button or not the game plays them out for you, like a movie. Apart from that gameplay is short and feels clunky and awkward, it's press this then hold down this. Cutscenes are played out whether or not you press this button when told. Playing as Aiden can be fun at times when messing up a room and scaring NPC's but that lasts less than 10 minutes and the effect moves rather quickly. Most environments are intractable but nothing really happens when you interact with them.

Characters are okay and well written but NPC's aren't programmed well in the playable environment, NPC's will just stand there doing nothing if you stand there and watch them. They look great especially Ellen Page and Williem Dafoe's characters. To have characters so life like on eight year old hardware is impressive.

Not the best game I've ever played but not the worst either, I wouldn't highly recommend it to anyone as the plot is unimpressive and it feels like a movie. Definitely a 6/10 shouldn't be any higher, unlike Telltale's The Walking Dead it may only be good through it's character and story, Beyond: Two Souls get's both wrong.

Good Points
    Looks good
    Main Characters are well written
    Well Acted

Bad Points
    Uninteresting Story
    QTEs Don't Matter
    Some NPCs feel like cardboard cut outs.
  53. Jun 7, 2014
    The graphics are nothing to complain about and the story has some lags where I lose interest. Some things I don't like Limited Gameplay as Jodie. The walking controls for Jodie aren't great. Playing as Aiden was fun for a short time but it quickly gets boring. And when you play as Jodie (should of picked another name for her considering the Jodie murder trials) there is VERY little you canThe graphics are nothing to complain about and the story has some lags where I lose interest. Some things I don't like Limited Gameplay as Jodie. The walking controls for Jodie aren't great. Playing as Aiden was fun for a short time but it quickly gets boring. And when you play as Jodie (should of picked another name for her considering the Jodie murder trials) there is VERY little you can do with her so you mostly play as Aiden like I said before gets boring really quick. I couldn't finish the game because I quickly lost interest. Expand
  54. Jan 5, 2014
    Beyond: Two Souls is a mixed affair. On the one hand I was incredibly engrossed in the story telling and fabulous visuals. On the other hand the illusion was often shattered by incredibly irritating controls and camera angles.

When it's telling the story, it is brilliant. When it's trying to be a game, it's dull, restrictive, and often downright irritating.
  55. Jun 13, 2014
    Beyond: Two Souls is at its best a two-star interactive movie. If you were expecting a game like Heavy Rain, you would be dead wrong. The game gives little to no control to the player during gameplay. Some good descriptions for this game would be "Walking Simulator" or "The QTE Game." The narrative miserably tries to persuade that you have some control over the story several times and whenBeyond: Two Souls is at its best a two-star interactive movie. If you were expecting a game like Heavy Rain, you would be dead wrong. The game gives little to no control to the player during gameplay. Some good descriptions for this game would be "Walking Simulator" or "The QTE Game." The narrative miserably tries to persuade that you have some control over the story several times and when you try to do something different and dramatic, the game just goes "NOPE, you can't do that!" The story itself is super fragmented and doesn't seem to have any single point, goal, theme or anything. Audiovisually, this game really is impressive, the voice acting's great, the faces look amazing, etc. etc. But the actual gameplay isn't worth your money. Expand
  56. Jan 19, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game should have been great but due to some terrible pacing issues with the story's chapters I felt disjointed with Jodie's struggles. I was not able to grow with her through her journey like I did with Ellie from The Last of Us, Elizabeth from BioShock or Laura Croft. Every time an interesting chapter would be completed I was dragged back to a boring uninteresting segment of her childhood. There is no reason for me to have to fight my way off a train to the middle of a towns Main Street where I have to kill a half dozen soldiers to then play a child in a snow fight in the next chapter. It is set up for a sequel and I hope they choose to go with a more linear approach to the story. Expand
  57. Feb 13, 2014
    A fun game with beautiful graphics and a story that starts slow and builds into something supernatural quirky ans surprising. There is very little doubt that this is an interactive movie but a very good one at that.
  58. Feb 18, 2014
    Its hard but you really have to play this game without comparing it to the studios predecessor, heavy rain. Heavy rain focuses on important decision making, while Beyond two souls main focus is on story telling, which it does well.
    The story is well acted and at times gripping but suffers from a lack of edge of your seat moments, due to the way the story is presented. There's also a lack of moments were you feel what you're doing is actually effecting your ending.
    I also personally felt it sometimes looses it way, the desert chapter comes to mind as a time i thought it story got a little lost.
    Its not a game for everyone, but a game i personally enjoyed.
  59. Feb 20, 2014
    OMG is still don't understand why everyone gives this game 10. Yes, the graphics are good and yes theres a female lead but the storys absurd and I was laughing unintentionally so many times. Also the game treats the audience dumb - do I need to remind you of the flashback scene??? People who say this is goty are dumb because they havnt played TLoU.
  60. Mar 7, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The gameplay is quite easy and that makes it kind of boring. Graphic detalis are Awsome, and the story has a deep messege.It also drives you to variated environments. Thats a positive point. Its more like a movie than any other action game any of us had played.
    Is it worth to play it.
  61. Oct 13, 2014
    Beautiful graphics and some interesting decisions, but very boring gameplay and pretty flat story.
    To me it is way worse than Heavy Rain in all terms except graphics.
  62. Jul 30, 2014
    Great history, awesome graphics, good gameplay, incredible characters but you can go make a sandwich and come back, and you still haven't died, with the game playing . It´s a good game, still.
  63. Sep 28, 2014
    Best graphics on PS3 system. Seems like a real movie. Ellen page do a excellent work on this game , but , isn't chronological order , that's one thing i don't like , but still a awesome game , Jodie is so cute :) , Maybe a sequel isn't bad. (Sorry my english by the way :v)
  64. Oct 8, 2013
    The game plays itself; you don't have control of outcomes, and you can never fail. The story is shoddy and a lot of times laughable. I had to stop playing half way because it wasn't fun anymore, so I returned it. For a $60 game I would expect to actually have a GAME, yet this felt like it would have worked just as well as a movie while saving $48. I do not recommend, this coming fromThe game plays itself; you don't have control of outcomes, and you can never fail. The story is shoddy and a lot of times laughable. I had to stop playing half way because it wasn't fun anymore, so I returned it. For a $60 game I would expect to actually have a GAME, yet this felt like it would have worked just as well as a movie while saving $48. I do not recommend, this coming from someone that somewhat enjoyed Heavy Rain. If you're curious of the story, just watch Youtube videos. You're bound to get the same experience. Collapse

1. Dec 28, 2013
    There doesn't ever seem to be any real impact of the player's decisions, actions or failures. [Jan 2014, p.76]
  2. Dec 12, 2013
    Beyond: Two Souls is a capital failure as both a story and as a game. The adventure plays itself and the player is left to push the right buttons in the right order. The story you are rewarded with is a mess of odd writing and poor directing choices from a game creator that obviously wants to create great art but seems to be incapable of doing so. Even fans of Fahrenheit and Heavy Rain should prepare for what is unfortunately a monumental disappointment.
  3. Nov 24, 2013
    A story every Playstation owner should experience.