• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: Oct 8, 2013
8.1

1. Oct 9, 2013
    Big step back from HR, less characters, less narrative crossroads.
    The plot is a meat loaf with boring moments, stupid and trivial.
    QD did not understand the true potential of 'interactive drama. Interactive drama should not become trivial linear film, but interactive movie sandbox. the player must be in control of the script, not a stupid spectator. Instead of hiring actors of
    Big step back from HR, less characters, less narrative crossroads.
    The plot is a meat loaf with boring moments, stupid and trivial.
    QD did not understand the true potential of 'interactive drama.
    the player must be in control of the script, not a stupid spectator.
    Instead of hiring actors of hollywood, would be better to take classes in game design
  2. Oct 8, 2013
    The game plays itself; you don't have control of outcomes, and you can never fail. The story is shoddy and a lot of times laughable. I had to stop playing half way because it wasn't fun anymore, so I returned it. For a $60 game I would expect to actually have a GAME, yet this felt like it would have worked just as well as a movie while saving $48. I do not recommend, this coming fromThe game plays itself; you don't have control of outcomes, and you can never fail. The story is shoddy and a lot of times laughable. I had to stop playing half way because it wasn't fun anymore, so I returned it. For a $60 game I would expect to actually have a GAME, yet this felt like it would have worked just as well as a movie while saving $48. I do not recommend, this coming from someone that somewhat enjoyed Heavy Rain. If you're curious of the story, just watch Youtube videos. You're bound to get the same experience. Expand
  3. Oct 9, 2013
    1. This is NOT a game. This is an interactive movie.
    2. TERRIBLE Controls. Far from intuitive.
    3. Nice graphics. Characters are lifelike.
    4. Strange story. Starts off confusing and is not that engaging.

I would not recommend a purchase. This is a rental at best. I was deeply disappointed.
  4. Oct 8, 2013
    Beyond two souls is a beautiful game and sadly that's the only good thing you can say about this "game".
    When i sat down with beyond two souls in my hand i did not expect ending up so disappointed as i did this is nothing but a movie since the choices you make does not matter at all and gameplay wise it's dreadful!
    If this was a 15$ game i would have been happy but for 60$ AAA game i
    If this was a 15$ game i would have been happy but for 60$ AAA game i expected more then 9 hours of cutscene for a story that is dull and has been done in many movies before!
  5. Oct 8, 2013
    I am not even going to call this a game because it is flat out not a game. I was able to beat this movie incredibly early on and I am incredibly disappointing with the complete lack of any semblance of actual new game-play. So why pay 60 dollars for a movie with horrendous game-play when you can simply watch the entire thing on youtube for free?
  6. Oct 8, 2013
    What a shame Willem Dafoe's great performance is wasted on this trash. Gameplay is nearly non existant and even if it were marketed as an interactive movie it's still bad. David Cage proves once again he's nothing but a talentless hack.
  7. Oct 8, 2013
    I really wanted to like this game, but couldn't. I wanted to play a game not a movie. I didn't like the controls, the gameplay, this game bored me so much I couldn't even follow the story I was falling asleep, and I didn't like how one minute you're a kid and then the next you're a teenager with no explanation for it. I also thought I was going to like the entity, but I didn't like itI really wanted to like this game, but couldn't. I wanted to play a game not a movie. I didn't like the controls, the gameplay, this game bored me so much I couldn't even follow the story I was falling asleep, and I didn't like how one minute you're a kid and then the next you're a teenager with no explanation for it. I also thought I was going to like the entity, but I didn't like it either. I just expected a whole lot more out of this game. I was told the person who made this made Heavy Rain and I heard that game was good, but since I didn't like this one I most likely won't like that one. This is just my opinion on this there are a lot of mixed reviews about it. If you want to know how it is you have to give it a try yourself. This is definitely no 10/10. Expand
  8. Oct 9, 2013
    This game.has lowered the bar for game narrative.If Beyond: Two Souls is truly the pinnacle of videogame narrative like PS3 fanboys claim) then I fear our standards are horrifically low. Sending out the message to publishers that this is what we consider an artistic triumph is terrible. Games can do and have done better than this, but we've now set the bar incredibly low. The high praiseThis game.has lowered the bar for game narrative.If Beyond: Two Souls is truly the pinnacle of videogame narrative like PS3 fanboys claim) then I fear our standards are horrifically low. Sending out the message to publishers that this is what we consider an artistic triumph is terrible. Games can do and have done better than this, but we've now set the bar incredibly low. The high praise for Heavy Rain has effectively sent the message that game writers don't have to try and create a tight, cohesive story. All they need to do is clumsily copy a bunch of classic movies with less than half the care and attention to detail in order to trick people into thinking their game is mature. Expand
  9. Oct 9, 2013
    This is not a game, as absolutely none of your actions actually influence anything. You can fail anything and the game just progresses as normal. As far as a movie goes it's very poor.

Disgusting.
  10. Oct 8, 2013
    Beyond: Two Souls is a failure on many different levels. As a movie, which David Cage clearly wanted to advertise this game as, it's plot is all over the place, it's character development almost nonexistant, and it's ending absolutely ludicrous. Several glitches during my playtime caused quite a few bugs that would have broken my immersion several times, if the wooden acting from Page andBeyond: Two Souls is a failure on many different levels. As a movie, which David Cage clearly wanted to advertise this game as, it's plot is all over the place, it's character development almost nonexistant, and it's ending absolutely ludicrous. Several glitches during my playtime caused quite a few bugs that would have broken my immersion several times, if the wooden acting from Page and Defoe hadn't already done it for me.

As a video game, I don't think I even need to explain here. Quick Time Events do not make for compelling gameplay. The Last of Us, another recent story-based game, still had a great deal of gameplay that engaged the user way more than "press X to not die" ever will. The environments are bland, and the only good character models are the ones for the main characters on screen. "Dreamcast people" come to mind frequently.

And although I'm not one to talk, if you take a look at the 10/10 reviews that have popped up for this game, you'll notice that very few of them have reviewed a single other game on here. Food for thought.
  11. Oct 8, 2013
    David Cage captures emotions and graphically it's fine, However the story/plot is horrible and he must of realised at last second he needed to chuck a game somewhere in it. For a game so focused on story it just did nothing for me. 1/3 ain't bad?
  12. Oct 8, 2013
    Really awful.

I'll try to review it objectively considering its meant to be 'an experiment', with no gameplay/interesting mechanics to speak of.

But the story was drab, graphically you would have expected more at this late stage of hardware optimisation.

Very underwhelming.
  13. Oct 8, 2013
    Whilst a very visually attractive game, David Cage's Beyond: Two Souls proves to be quite soulless, with a confusing, cliched story and unappealing characters. Give this one a miss.
  14. Oct 8, 2013
    I'm not happy with this game, it promised so much, the demo was awesome and then, when i play, all i see is a movie wannabe game, the gameplay is so poor that in the end i was only playing for the story.
    I kinda regret buying it, if it was cheaper maybe it would worth it, but with 59,99 dollars, you can do better.
  15. Oct 8, 2013
    Terribly short. You can tell since it released today and yet so many people are already giving it 10/10s. Not worth $60, especially considering how heavily it relies on narrative and graphics to make up for the complete lack of gameplay. If you strip away all the surface elements, it's easy to tell that the last thing on Quantic Dream's mind was to make a game and they would rather beTerribly short. You can tell since it released today and yet so many people are already giving it 10/10s. Not worth $60, especially considering how heavily it relies on narrative and graphics to make up for the complete lack of gameplay. If you strip away all the surface elements, it's easy to tell that the last thing on Quantic Dream's mind was to make a game and they would rather be making movies (although there's probably a good reason why they're stuck making 'games' and not movies).

Beyond: Two Souls is a poor attempt at mimicking the success of Telltale Game's 'The Walking Dead,' which not only released at half the price of Quantic Dream's story, but it also allowed players to buy the story in smaller chunks at even cheaper prices in case they weren't sure they were going to like it. $60 for something that plays exactly the same is almost criminal.
  16. Oct 9, 2013
    Whatever happened to video games being like video games? I tried the demo and it was the most unfun POS ever with some of the worst controls I have ever experienced. Beyond: Two Souls does not deserve more than Beyond: Two Sales.

I will stick with real video games and not this casual junk that wants to be a movie. Keep your movies out of my video games.
  17. Oct 8, 2013
    I'm generously giving this "game" a 1. The graphics are pretty good, not the best I've ever seen, not the worst. The music and sound are pretty top notch, all things considered. The story I can see as a love it or hate it type thing. I thought it was interesting, but not overly so. The gameplay is non-existent.

Listen, when I don't even have to tap a button, I don't have to input

Listen, when I don't even have to tap a button, I don't have to input any command at all, and the story just plays itself out as if I wasn't even there. Then it's not a game friends. It's a movie. Now if Beyond: Two Souls want's to be a movie that's fine, I'll buy the 20 dollar blu-ray. Instead of the 60 dollar whatever this is supposed to be.

Just to illustrate how disappointed I am, I've got about 90 games in my collection, this will be the first game I trade-in, which is saying something, considering I have two copies of White Knight Chronicles 2 for absolutely no reason.
  18. Oct 8, 2013
    In my opinion, the most overrated game I've ever seen. Another fuzzy movie from Quantic Dreams: only one scene of real action games, controls I can not even tell who is oriented on this game
  19. Oct 8, 2013
    It's a terrible, TERRIBLE game. Controls are even worse than in Heavy Rain. You have *no idea* what you're supposed to do half the time. You have to jump over obstacles the camera doesn't show; punch characters in a doorway you assume you're supposed to scramble past; push the right-stick towards the enemy to push when it looks like Jodie is about to duck...and then there's "Aiden".It's a terrible, TERRIBLE game. Controls are even worse than in Heavy Rain. You have *no idea* what you're supposed to do half the time. You have to jump over obstacles the camera doesn't show; punch characters in a doorway you assume you're supposed to scramble past; push the right-stick towards the enemy to push when it looks like Jodie is about to duck...and then there's "Aiden".

First, what's with all these game characters named Aiden lately? There are fewer than 1,584 people in the U.S. with the first name Aiden. 0.0005% of the US population. I swear I didn't even know there was such a name until Heavy Rain, Just like I didn't know children to Chicago natives had accents.

Aiden is a supernatural entity you play as from the first-person to get Jodie out of jams. She'll frequently cry, "Help me, Aiden!" and you'll be facing some awkward direction and the screen will be blurry. Now you have to float Aiden around the area with all the grace of a flying refrigerator.
    It's almost impossible to figure out what you can interact with because you have to be an inch from it to tell most of the time. To do anything, you hold R1, and move both control sticks. But you never know which direction! Sometimes you have to pull them apart, charge, and release to "zap" objects, pinch together to choke, continuously pull apart to possess enemies, rotate them...you never know what you're supposed to do.

Finally, the oldest problem in modern games, terrible writing. This is a European fan-film remake of E.T. with all the cliche's of a Hollywood chase scene, complete with no less than 5 state troopers chasing you on top of a passenger train. Why did 5 out-of-shape rent-a-cops climb on top of a train at once? And why do all of "Bakerstown"'s finest sound like Batman street thugs? Why is the SWAT team-member flailing his arms around near the explosion when he's not even on fire??? I was frequently expecting some guy to drag a fruit cart in my path so I could crash through it. Heavy Rain had a chicken coup in Walmart, after all.

Bottom line, this is a really horribly designed game, even if the main characters look very realistic (too bad they aren't memmorable--what a waste of Willem Dafoe). Don't buy it, or Sony might threaten us with more.
  20. Mar 24, 2014
    What is there left to say about the games of David Cage? He's obviously passionate about games as an art form, but much like Ed Wood, he fails to understand what makes his medium truly great.

Interactivity is the whole basis of video games. You're not being told a story, you're LIVING that story. It can provide extremely interesting situations for players and add lots of replayability. This is where all of Quantic Dreams' efforts fail. These stories are very linear, with Beyond leading the pack as the most linear of all of them.

Jodie Holmes is the star of the story, possessing strange paranormal powers. We follow her through her life and explore what led her to where she is today. With the help of htis paranormal entity known as "Aiden", Jodie is thrust into adventure and drama as she tries to live her life. Beyond is another of the "Your choices matter" type of games that have been plaguing the industry ever since Mass Effect and Bioshock popularized the concept. In this, though, your choices never really feel like they impact the story. It always seems like Cage is more concerned with telling you his narrative than letting you discover your own.

Jodie's character is never really built-up because the game can't decide where to go with its story. It's almost laughable just how silly it is to see Jodie trying to speak to a native kid over in Syria (or wherever they were). It's a shame because there are very good sequences in the game, such as the homeless section, that actually say a lot by staying silent. Other sequences, however, are just the worst they can come. In-particular, the war sequence, the birthday party, many of the child sequences, and the rape are just cringe-worthy writing that even the most exploitative of works don't attempt.

The chronology of Beyond is strange, as it's told out of sequence for no apparent reason. All it seems to use this for is to place important plot information in a flashback right before the level where you need said information. Seems like an afterthought more than a narrative tool.

And lastly, the gameplay of Beyond. Largely consisting of QTE's and occasional (and I do mean occasional) ghost segments, there's not much else to talk about. There are very few times where you can actually fail the mission objectives. As a matter of fact, the game crashed more than I lost on the normal difficulty, a total of three times. The game is restrictive rather than limited with its gameplay segments and once again makes me wonder why these elements aren't used in a budget game that could be produced faster and cheaper and still retain the same quality apart from graphics.

For the third time in a row, Cage has made an uninteresting mess of game that has the foundation of potential surrounding it. If he would just listen to his critics instead of shoehorning his ideas wherever he sees fit, he may just be able to make a truly great and unforgettable game. For now, Beyond doesn't succeed at a single thing it attempts aside from graphics.

Want games with branching pathlines and choices that matter? Try Fallout: New Vegas or Virtues Last Reward.

Want games with excellent stories and good dialogue? Try Deus Ex or Spec Ops: The Line.

Want a game with QTE's and not much else? Try Beyond: Two Souls.
  21. Jan 13, 2014
    I was very excited about this game and had been eagerly anticipating it for a long time, as Heavy Rain is one of favourite games of all time. Sadly, for a number of reasons, I was left not angry, but disappointed.

One of the main reasons I loved Heavy Rain was the huge amount of choice the player had and the amount of endings it contained was nothing short of staggering. Here, choices rarely matter until the final level, as things will play almost the same. In all honesty, it basically boils down to two main endings and the rest is just about which generic caricature lives and which dies.

In addition, the gameplay is quite weak overall. Choice making, navigation and interacting with objects is easy enough, but combat is very weak. Time will slow down for a moment and you have to judge in which direction Page's body is moving in by flicking an analogue stick. But her body is very hard to judge and I often found myself failing these sequences. However, if you play the game on the easy difficulty, there is an arrow that indicates which direction you need to move the stick. This option, though, made it too easy, meaning that there is no middle ground that the majority of gamers will long for.

Yet I would be willing to forgive both of these offences in an instant if only the story was good. But it just ISN'T. It tries to do be many things: a globe trotting spy thriller, an supernatural action adventure, a touching drama, a romance, a biography of Jodie Holmes. It's all just too much to take and the fact that it is presented in a very non-chronological order only hinders it. There are a few effective moments littered about and, whilst I didn't really give a **** about Jodie, I could see that Ellen Page tried her best and did do a good job. As a character though, I much preferred Willem Dafoe's Nathan Dawkins. I didn't hate the plot, but it just wasn't that interesting.

It isn't the game/movie thing that I'm annoyed about, rather, I think that these 'interactive experiences' (as they have been so cringily dubbed) truly have potential. But these 'things' are meant to be about the story and if the story isn't up to scratch, then what good are they? There were some superb graphics and solid performances but lack of engaging plot bring the entire thing down sadly.
  22. Mar 11, 2014
    This game is "Beyond" horrible. For everyone saying that David Cage is a genius and half the gaming population can't understand what a "masterpiece" his work is, please, take a look again.

Here's a true review: First of all, none of the choices you make in the game have much of an impact. I've watched multiple playthroughs with people trying out different options, and they all lead

Here's a true review:

First of all, none of the choices you make in the game have much of an impact. I've watched multiple playthroughs with people trying out different options, and they all lead to the same scene in the end of the chapter! So no, whoever says this game is worth the money is lying. Why spend $60 for a game built like a movie out of chronological order? Especially when halfway through the "game", it goes downhill like a rocket ship entering Earth's atmosphere again.

Speaking of game, there's barely any gameplay. You can move around and interact with objects, but jeeeeeeez, the most gameplay I've gotten out of it was with the sneaking. And even then, whenever I tried to fail every single prompt to see if I could get a different outcome from things--because, mind you, according to David Cage, the point of an interactive game is to have your actions NOT determine the outcome of your future events--the game just handled it for me like a guiding hand.

Second, everyone calls her a witch like it's the new thing. We're supposed to feel for her, but most of the time I just groaned and slapped my forehead. Seriously, who the hell uses that word for unexplained occurrences anymore? This isn't the Crucible! Of course, though, everything bad that happens can always be justified with the term "witch." And every time something happened, the blame would instantly be put on her too.
    According to David Cage, "Witches are a failure of the game designer."

All the emotional scenes are forced on Jodie for the sake of her herself, not the stupidly wonderful storyline. I spent most of my time yelling out, "Oh, come ON! There's no way something that stupid would happen in real life!!"
    I mean, really!? She gets the option to kiss almost every guy she meets because she's a slut (and yes, I chose to kiss them all for the giggles), and even then, when most of them are such **** to her in the first place, everyone thinks it's a sweet, romantic moment.

So apparently, just because she has this supernatural entity following her, we should feel sorry for the girl? Damn, I've met people with sadder stories about dying dogs and missing out on in-town events. This, just....this game does a horrendous way of making you feel sorry for her. One moment when you actually start to get into it, it goes back to her childhood or another part of her life.

Don't let me get started on how horribly done the order of her life is..... Chronological would have made the game better, but not to the point of saving it.

I could go oooon about all the stereotypes he puts in there. Hell, most of this game just yells out, "Hey, look! The white race is superior, so let's have our white girl solve a thousand year old prophecy, make an old lady who hasn't talked for years suddenly speak, and take down a warlord!! And then, after all of that happens, let's bring in more feels so the gamers can empathize with her!"
    Most of the time all the tension died down because one knew Aiden would save them no matter what happened -_ -

I've written a short story once--a lot of people say it's the most original and creative idea they've ever heard of--and the death of my main characters sister actually made my friends cry and feel depressed, and that was only in the fifth chapter of the book. I didn't need a supernatural entity following her to make the other characters treat her bad because of her being a "witch", nor did I have the need to randomly skip to "tragic" scenes of her past to make them feel for her.
    No, I built it all up from beginning to end; she only appeared in Chapter Two before appearing again in Chapter Five. She wasn't even a main character either. That's how you make a great character, not this Beyond Two Craps that forces you to sympathize with a girl who spreads her legs for every possible guy she meets, randomly time skipped sequences and her constant yelling at Aiden, wanting his help, yelling again before wanting him to help her out again. Give the guy a rest, damn!

I admit though, I got more laughs out of this game than intended when playing with my friends XD So I guess that's one reason to buy it.

Trust me, if you look Beyond the so-called storyline and dwell into it, you'll see all the flaws everyone is ignoring. Take a look at all the good reviews. All they talk about is the storyline, the graphics and character personalities of the game right? Well yeah, because that's all they freaking focused on.

This game is more racist than AC3, more jumbled up than a bunch of hyper-active kids at a birthday party, yells out "White power!" to the point that it's hilarious, slaps everything in your face to make you feel "bad", and brings out all sorts of clichés like it's a festival. Apparently, that's what this generation deems a "masterpiece".
  23. Jun 27, 2014
    This game is Beyond awful. First off, I hate David Cage. I just hate what he does. But I hate this "game" for even more reasons. First off, this game just jumps around the timeline for no reason whatsoever. The "gameplay" is atrocious, because it's just quick time events. There's a lot of times in the game where you're supposed to do something. If you don't, the game will carry on like youThis game is Beyond awful. First off, I hate David Cage. I just hate what he does. But I hate this "game" for even more reasons. First off, this game just jumps around the timeline for no reason whatsoever. The "gameplay" is atrocious, because it's just quick time events. There's a lot of times in the game where you're supposed to do something. If you don't, the game will carry on like you did. Like at the beginning. When you're having tests run on your ability, there's a woman. You have to see what card she picks. But, it doesn't matter which one you choose. And just after that, when you're supposed to knock everything around the room she's in. If you don't she's still traumatized. In combat sequences, if you didn't pick "I Rarely (or never) Play Video Games" as your difficulty, at least it makes sense. If you choose the alternative, it's confusing. There's a white dot on the screen, and you're supposed to either move the stick towards, or away from it. So, if someone's punching you, you might think "Do I block it, or dodge it?". Well, you have to guess, unless you pucked the easy difficulty. So, that's it. A couple reasons this game is 100% terrible. Expand
  24. Jan 7, 2014
    If you look at the 10/10 reviews for the game on Metacritic, you see such lines as "maybe a interactive novel", "Best cinematic game ever", and "interactive drama". I'm quoting this because I want to make it clear that Beyond Two Souls is not really a game in the traditional sense, and I'm not trolling by giving it a 0. What this is is a $60 movie. For my money, if I want to watch a movie,If you look at the 10/10 reviews for the game on Metacritic, you see such lines as "maybe a interactive novel", "Best cinematic game ever", and "interactive drama". I'm quoting this because I want to make it clear that Beyond Two Souls is not really a game in the traditional sense, and I'm not trolling by giving it a 0. What this is is a $60 movie. For my money, if I want to watch a movie, I'll pay about 1/10th the price to see it in a theater or 1/20th the price to rent it. I don't see the advantage to using video games to simply tell a story. I do realize that some people enjoy this "game", but I just don't understand why it had to be a game at all. Could it not have been enjoyable as a movie? Did it have to be a $60 title? I'm giving it a zero, though, because I didn't even think the story was very good. Expand
  25. Dec 9, 2013
    The illusion of choice while forcing the uninspired story down a predetermined path masked by genuinely good graphics and actual actors does not make a good game. This linear visual novel banked everything on the story with little of anything that could be considered gameplay elements (i.e. a smattering of button prompts) and failed to deliver a unique experience or any actual gravity fromThe illusion of choice while forcing the uninspired story down a predetermined path masked by genuinely good graphics and actual actors does not make a good game. This linear visual novel banked everything on the story with little of anything that could be considered gameplay elements (i.e. a smattering of button prompts) and failed to deliver a unique experience or any actual gravity from the choices you make throughout the game. A more appropriate title would be "Beyond: Wasted Potential." Expand
  26. Nov 5, 2013
    A huge step down from Heavy Rain. This is actually the most accurate thing I can say about this game.

First the positive things, the visuals are amazing, from simply a graphics view this is the best game on any console ever. It probably is the best-looking console game we will see on this generation of consoles and with next-gen looming around the corner I am intrigued to see what Quantic Dream can do with better hardware. But that is the most positive thing that can be said about the game.

The story and characters are a weird mix of intriguing and disappointing. The characters seem interesting and engaging at first but the character development is hindered by the disrupting timeline which makes it hard to connect with the characters. The acting in this game is topnotch which isn't a surprise seeing as the main characters are portrayed by Ellen Page and Willem Dafoe, but at the same time I can't see them as characters of the game but I just see Ellen Page or Willem Dafoe as actors in different situations and that doesn't speak for the writing. The writing is actually one of the main problems with the game, it fails to set the tone for the great actors they got for the game and fails to make them compelling which again is probably due to the in-consequent timeline presented for the first half of the game. The story is also lacking the drive that Heavy Rain showed us, everything is riding on the main character, Ellen Page, the writers threw her in various situations that were supposed to get the gamer involved and care about here but those situations felt random and just unrealistic. For example did she seem to get only involved in very bad situations, a birthday party where the kids just randomly picked on her, after being nice to her at first or a bar where three men just decided to try to rape the under-aged girl that came in, I'm not saying that this can't happen or hasn't unfortunately happened to some people but here it just feels like filler and just a bad try to add to a weak story. The writers don't even fear to throw in the often-used and borderline insulting ....Native American family that just knows about some spirits and that guide the main character.

The biggest problem about this game is the gameplay though, there is none. It boils down to pushing some buttons that don't matter and have no real effect on the game itself. Here we can draw a comparison to Heavy Rain or similar games like The Walking Dead and The Wolf Among Us, these games work well because not just the story and characters are more engaging but also because your choices matter and change the outcome of the game. In Heavy Rain for example, people die if you make the wrong decisions or it will have some other consequences but in Beyond:Two Souls you can't even fail the game, the game will find some way to not let you fail or cut to another scene where you then can escape with a few button-pushes. This takes away the urgency that you felt in Heavy Rain and just dumbs the game down.

Beyond: Two Souls is a major disappointment, it's an incoherent sample of scenes that you can move forward by pushing some buttons but in the end it doesn't even come close to the experiences that were Heavy Rain(Quantic Dream) or similar games like The Walking Dead(Telltale).
  27. Sep 6, 2014
    Complete garbage, yet only the second worst game made by David Cage, a dubious title which belongs to Indigo Prophecy/Fahrenheit. Play Heavy Rain instead, or better yet, don't touch any of David Cage's games with a 100 foot barge pole.
  28. Oct 31, 2013
    Is Beyond: Two Souls in the right category Is it a game or a movie I don't really care, in both cases it has the same defects and qualities.

Let's start with the qualities : - The pitch is nice, with a great potential for storytelling and character development. - The character is lovable - Graphics are mostly really nice, I say mostly because some facial animations seemed very

Let's start with the qualities :
    - The character is lovable
    - Graphics are mostly really nice, I say mostly because some facial animations seemed very unnatural to me

And... that's it... let's check what I didn't like
    - The idea of playing scenes in a random order. even though it's "explained" later, it was pointless, and very irritating in the beginning, giving me the sensation that I was given random stories to play for a short time, before jumping to another.
    - It is soooo looonngggg... not in the good way. I have to walk through that corridor Why does everyone walks faster than me It simply makes the scenes longer (and boring), and breaks the rhythm.
    - It's often predictable, It uses schemes already seen, again and again, in too many movies,
    - Same thing for the characters, a lot of them are very cliché. Behind Jodie, most of the characters are transparent and/or irritating.
    - It's supposed to be an interactive movie, but the interactions are only pressing the button that the "game" asks you to press. Some games, behind a gameplay, manage to tell a story while giving some real choices to the player, with consequences on the scenario. Here, nothing, only a few different endings, with the choice just before, making it completely artificial.

In the end, even with it's encouraging concept, this game/movie is disappointing.
    It is a bad movie, a succession of cliché with no rhythm.
    it is a bad game, as the player has no role at all in the story.

Honestly, I think that is someone decides to capture a walkthrough, and makes a good montage of it, cutting boring parts etc., It might become a decent movie... with a lot of cliché, but decent.
    In it's current/official state, it's not worth playing/watching
  29. Dec 6, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'll admit the graphics are nice and the voice acting is good, while the animations are fair. Though these are the only three 'okay' things about Beyond: Two Souls. And that's just because this is not a good game. I am aware the memories are scrambled for a reason, but the jumbled memory structure just doesn't work well for this game. You go from helping a homeless woman deliver her baby to being involved with spirits in the Navajo desert. It makes me believe that the writers just had a bunch of cool ideas and then just mixed them together and the result was a mess. The story is quite lackluster, the game is quite painful to complete, and I will ignore the lack of gameplay as I don't mind the little gameplay there is, seeing as I think Heavy Rain is a great game. Beyond though, is not. Though there are some interesting environments, and the game sounds good on paper, the execution is poor. All in all, this is a sub-par game. Expand
  30. Nov 3, 2013
    Bad as a videogame and bad as a movie, David Cage does not deserve so much attention. And there is not even the illusion off choice like in Fahrenheit or Heavy rain.
    At least those to tried to make you feel like your decisions could change something.

1. Dec 28, 2013
    There doesn't ever seem to be any real impact of the player's decisions, actions or failures. [Jan 2014, p.76]
  2. Dec 12, 2013
    Beyond: Two Souls is a capital failure as both a story and as a game. The adventure plays itself and the player is left to push the right buttons in the right order. The story you are rewarded with is a mess of odd writing and poor directing choices from a game creator that obviously wants to create great art but seems to be incapable of doing so. Even fans of Fahrenheit and Heavy Rain should prepare for what is unfortunately a monumental disappointment.
  3. Nov 24, 2013
    A story every Playstation owner should experience.