8.4

1. Mar 26, 2013
    It's so different to the first Bioshock, yet so similar at the same time. It does everything right, great story, amazing graphics and combat, and if anybody's having second thoughts about buying it because they're worried about Elizabeth being annoying, that's not an issue at all. She adds so much to an already fantastic game. Just buy it already!
  2. Mar 26, 2013
    Already a contender for GOTY. Gorgeous and unbelievable are understatements. Not only is this game the best in the series, i might put it as one of the best games this decade.
  3. Mar 26, 2013
    Alright so time for a reality check concerning this franchise. I've been tracking for many years now how the shock series wich started with one of my alltime favourite games 'system shock' has slowly slipped down into a pit of "mass market appeal". With every new installment a few layers of complexity and freedom wich set the games apart from their contemporaries have been methodically shaved off and as we arrive at the fifth game there just isn't all that much left. Let me give you a few examples: The hacking wich used to consist of various minigames and even forays into cyberspace now just consist of collecting lockpicks that are jammed into certain locations by the press of a button. The weapons at your disposal used to be numerous and could be modded with various firing modes and ammo types to fit your needs is now reduced to five versions of a standard gun with a negative correlation between damage and firing frequency, and a rocket launcher/grenade launcher. Items, grenades, stimpacks, boosters and implants are completely removed and there is no inventory at all nor is there a map screen. The only puzzle solving (if you can even call it that) consists of finding a books that are linked to a certain areas and then letting an npc solve it for you, no I'm not joking. I could go on but I think you get the picture. Bottom line is the story is still good, the graphics are awesome, gameplay has taken a short step over a tall cliff. If I were to plot this franchise as a regression line I'd predict that the sixth game will have completely lost that incredible mix of gameplay and story wich elevated the early games into my personal alltime favourites. The Shock franchise has lost its soul in pursuit of the mass market segment and it saddens me greatly. Expand
  4. Mar 26, 2013
    Bioshock Infinite is a true contender for Game of the Year. From the gorgeous graphics and the addictive game play and the smooth controls makes this one of the best video games of all time in my books if you have never played Bioshock I strongly recommend you go and buy it once you play the first few minutes of Bioshock you will be hooked on these amazing games.
  5. Apr 9, 2013
    The game looks great and you can tell they put a lot into it but something was lacking. The atmosphere is great at the beginning as well as the introduction of Elizabeth. I wanted to explore everything and found myself stopping to play the games on the boardwalk. Hearing the conversations going on in the city is a boon as well.

as for the gameplay...Vigors seem as though they are added
    only because it is a Bioshock game and really don't seem to fit in the Columbia world. Shooting seemed pretty much standard fare. The skyrail seemed fun at first but a couple of times became confusing even throttling the thing. Perhaps that's realistic but still very frustrating.

I remember looking for every recording in Bioshock just to find the history of all the characters but with Infinite I skipped the search because after a while it just became too tedious. The overall storyline was interesting only because it had one twist I did not see coming....the first one you can see a mile away...as to who Elizabeth really is but to who Dewitt is....shocker(at least for me). I did love the brother/sister duo (best humor in the game) but the rest of the plot just seemed uneven. The bosses you fight are really pretty unimpressive to the ones found in Bioshock...they actually seemed generic in comparison...and that includes their history.

Honestly, I found that the thrill had worn off halfway through the game and I found myself pushing speedily through it just so I could finish it before I lost all interest.
  6. Mar 26, 2013
    This game basically fixes all the problems the last two Bioshock games had for me. Primarily the clunky combat system has been improved to the point I look forward to fighting enemies. Also while the game is quite linear (more so than maybe the other Bioshock games) I think its a good thing. I never felt overwhelmed or lost in this game. The interaction with Elizabeth is great (they did a great job with this difficult task) and adds a bit more depth to the story and action sequences. The graphics are gorgeous, but its not because of it requiring super high tech video cards, its because the art design and lightning are so good. The music and sounds are really well done. The storyline is done really well with great characterisation and pacing.

I don't like how the game saves as you have to reach certain points for it to save otherwise if you have to leave while playing you have to backtrack a bit. Overall an amazing game that deserves a perfect score!
  7. Mar 31, 2013
    Bioshock Infinite is a Bioshock game, period. I know it looks different and may seem different, but a lot of the things from Bioshock are in Bioshock Infinite. While Infinite has its own look and everything, which makes it feel new and fresh, this is a Shock game through and through, so you have a mix of the familiar with something entirely new. The combat is very similar to the first game, but guns have more of a kick this time around. Plasmids also make a comeback in the form of Vigors, which allow for a lot of variation and experimentation in combat. There's also the inclusion of sky-lines, which make some fights really exciting and frantic. I'd say the combat scenarios are an improvement from the first Bioshock. You'll also be looting the environment and corpses for money, food, salt (for Vigors), etc.

Bioshock's art direction is simply stunning. It takes a very talented art team to pull off something like Infinite, and the team at Irrational was definitely up to the task. The amount of detail in each and every environment is staggering. You'll definitely understand why this game was such an undertaking and took so many years to create when you see it in action. Then you have Elizabeth, which is one of the most realized characters in all of gaming. Elizabeth's animations and interactions are one of Infinite's many highlights.

But Bioshock Infinite is ultimately all about the narrative, which it delivers on from beginning to end. This game's story is hands down one of the best in the business, even going as far as surpassing the original Bioshock. While Bioshock was a masterpiece, its ending left a little something to be desired. But this isn't the case with Bioshock Infinite. This game has an ending that'll blow you away.
  8. Mar 27, 2013
    A fantastic combination of brilliant story telling, beautiful graphics and great character development. It's not just that though, making America look like a roman utopia in the sky mixed with space and time manipulation just blows your mind and this is coming from a lover of history and imagination, you must play this game as you would a film you will enjoy it I guarantee it.
  9. Mar 28, 2013
    brilliant. masterpiece. brilliant. masterpiece. brilliant. masterpiece. brilliant. masterpiece. brilliant. masterpiece. brilliant. masterpiece. brilliant. masterpiece. brilliant. masterpiece. brilliant. masterpiece. brilliant. masterpiece. brilliant. masterpiece. brilliant. masterpiece. brilliant. masterpiece. brilliant. masterpiece. brilliant. masterpiece. brilliant. masterpiece. brilliant. masterpiece. brilliant. masterpiece. brilliant. masterpiece. brilliant. masterpiece. brilliant. masterpiece. brilliant. masterpiece. brilliant. masterpiece. brilliant. masterpiece. brilliant. masterpiece. Expand
  10. Apr 1, 2013
    A game such as this comes once in a generation, and very few times in a lifetime. True Master craft worked with the biggest love and attention, from music to visuals, it was an incredible pleasure. The story in particular is the work of genius, it will have you thinking for days after you've finished it. Never has a game had such an incredible story and characters that can stir some deep emotions inside of you. Thank you Irrational. Unforgettable. Expand
  11. Mar 27, 2013
    I was never a huge Bioshock fan but I did I enjoy the first two games so I decided to try Bioshock infinite since everyone was saying how incredible it was,and I can honestly say that those people are so right.everything about infinite is perfect,infinite has a great story and great cast of characters,the gameplay is fun and keeps you on you're feet,the graphics are very and I mean very impressive.if you enjoy fops games this is for you,and if you enjoy great games,Bioshock infinite is right up you're alley. Expand
  12. Mar 29, 2013
    An amazing game, the story is the best thing in it. It's like you're reading this great book and you just cant wait to see what will happened in the end, and believe me it will blow your mind.
    You don't judge a book by its cover or the print quality (graphics,action,stealth etc..) you judge it by it's story and this one will pull you in and you'll want more.
  13. Mar 27, 2013
    Pretty pictures, no substance, which is what you can say about 99 percent of the games released these days. And the game is over in 20 hours???? This thing should sell for $20 for such little content.
  14. Mar 26, 2013
    Simply an awesome game in every way I know the graphics aren't as good as the pc version but they are still absolutely stunning this game already deserves the goty get off your butts right now and go buy this superb game you will not regret it
  15. Apr 5, 2013
    Absolutely phenomenal game. From the very beginning you can tell the story will be very deep and involved and that would be a correct assumption. The gameplay is on another level from anything i've ever played. From flying through the sky with full control of combat options without any kind of apparent processing or graphical hiccups, to keeping classic Bioshock elements such as "plasmids," Infinite delivers without disappointment.

Those rating this game low, while I acknowledge everyone is entitled to their own opinion, must have unsatisfiable expectations for their games and I would personally like to know what they consider even an "8" because in every way, shape and form, Infinite is far above any numerical rating provided by Metacritic.
  16. Apr 1, 2013
    I have played tons of games, probably more than 99% of the people my age and I can say without a doubt in mind that this is one of the most beautifully crafted stories I've ever played. Elizabeth is probably the strongest performance I've seen in at least 10 years for a female character and Booker is probably just as good. The ending comes out of nowhere and I can promise you, you will not see the twist coming.

Shooting mechanics are improved from the previous games and are right up there with other first person shooters but some of the other game play variables are just a little off. For example, I feel the skyhook was misused and I feel a couple of the special abilities were useless or repetitive. Elizabeth's ability to bring tears into combat felt underwhelming and I don't think they capitalized fully with this opportunity

These couple qualms though are easily overlook because the story, characters and environment are simply amazing. I can't believe how close I felt to Booker and Elizabeth and I can't believe how shocked I was when I saw the ending. This is a MUST PLAY.
  17. Mar 26, 2013
    An awe-inspiring rollercoster with a captivating narrative about a younger beautiful maiden and a mysterious man

First off, Bioshock Infinite is much more of a spiritual successor to System Shock and the original Bioshock. There is game play similarities but it is not in the same cannon so say. In a time when all that seems to be released is first person shooters, it is hard to come by
    a game that does something not only unique, but engaging. But Bioshock Infinite does exactly this. Not only will the game blow your mind from combat options, crisp controls and some of the best first-person shooting around, but it does all of this while having an impressive narrative. Bioshock Infinite will leave you in awe after your play through, and it will keep you engaged the whole way through. And when the adventure ends, it will leave the same sort of impact as Shadow of the Colossus and Journey. Bioshock Infinite feels like a classic poetic story, much like "The Raven By Engnor Allen Poe" to be honest. Video games so desperately need the "poetic" feel that Bioshock Infinite has. -A young, insecure woman who wants to find a new destiny
    -A mysterious man who knows nothing of his past.
    -A story that unravels around the two main character, with the best character development I have ever witnessed before in any medium. Bioshock Infinite is on par with Heath Leger's preformance of the Joker from "Dark Knight" in terms of character development. If you are reading this review, wondering if it is a game that you would like to pick up, I would highly recomment it. This is a beautiful experience in its own right, and it sets a standard for all First-shooters to come. Whether you pick up Bioshock Infinite now or later in the future once it gets a price drop, do yourself a favor and get lost in the world of the game. Whether you study games like myself or just play them for fun and enjoyment, or if you are an artist, looking for a new medium to engage with. I will repeat: give Bioshock Infinite a try

+ Amazing Narrative
    +Addictive and meaningful gameplay
    +Beautiful and unraveling world through characters, enviroment and story
    +You will most likely want to replay through the game Final Score 98/100
  18. Mar 27, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Remember, dear gamers, that one demo from 2 years ago in which Booker faced that one weird politician guy who asked a certain Charles to attack with a certain murder of crows?... Well we don't see either of them. Or even that location. And thus I introduce you to my review of Bioshock Infinite, or as I now call it:

Artsy FPS: Unfulfilled.

The game opens up as a mystery wrapped in an enigma, coated in religion, social commentaries of the early 20th century, racism, steampunk and, best of all, the promise of facing the iconic Songbird in battle.

To quote some gangster or other: forget about it. Ultimately, the game is a take on the 'Infinity of universes' theory. Sci-fi. And that theme takes up the second half of the game and never lets go. So indeed, forget about all those other themes to which we mere mortals might have made somewhat of a connection with our mere human experiences and let's dive in the utter of an incoherent story those lovable over at Irrationnal are still jerking off to. As a game, it's been dumbed down from any previous Bioshock. No more hacking, no noticeable choice system, linear level design and a two-weapons-only system makes this feel more like your average war shooter than anything. The characters you meet have little to no impact on you as a gamer, which might have been fixed if the game bothered showing them more than once, and not killing them off when they are first seen!

Oh, and Songbird? The presumed Big Daddy of Infinite? He is seen only three times. Then killed off in a cutscene. Lovely. He is so underdevelopped, he could have been any fat jailer riding a glider, for all I cared!

In short, I lost my faith in the videogame market. If Irrationnal can up that badly... woof.

You, as a gamer, will feel that such little is influenced by you over the course of that lengthy playthrough. Nothing is fleshed out enough! The racism; gone. AMERICA!!!; gone. Promises were laid out by Levine, by those demos, by those trailers; all of which were ultimately misleading, even erronous. The key word is interchangeable. If the punchline to all that build-up was Multiple Realities, well congratulations, Irrationnal, you are now 'there', as in 'Been there...' As for me, I would rather go crawling back to Sofia Lamb.

The Rued.
  19. Mar 29, 2013
    This is the defining game of the generation. The swansong of these consoles. It is the culmination of the vast improvement in story telling over the last few years. Yes the gameplay is great and varied. Yes the graphics and visuals are superb. But its the arc of the story and the epic, mind blowing conclusion which will ensure that this game will be remembered for years to come. Ken Levine and his team at Irrational once again prove that they are at the pinnacle of story telling in video games. This story deals with many important issues such as racism, social structure, the power of religion and the science of the time (including the applications of it.) When trying to demonstrate the art form that is video games, this shall be the prime example. Expand
  20. Mar 27, 2013
    This game is beautiful. Even though the console port does leave some textures muddy, they're hard to notice. The gameplay is quick and seamless as you ride Skylines and pounce or your enemies or escape to a higher vantage point to plan your attack. It is a big improvement over the somewhat sluggish controls of Bioshock 1 and 2.

Elizabeth's AI is incredible, landing you a hand in battle
    whenever she can by finding ammo, Salt (EVE), health, and money (outside of combat).
    She never gets in your way and requires 0 babysitting. She is the best companion AI of any game made yet, and she is very likeable and not a damsel in distress.

I was on the edge of my seat the entire 12 hours it took me. I was so intrigued by everything going on and I just wanted to find out what the twist was. This game delivered. It left me thinking afterwards for a long time about it and the previous games.

Bioshock: Infinite is an extremely well polished, and artful, masterpiece. I'll be damned surprised if it does not win Video Game of the Year. it deserves it.
  21. Mar 26, 2013
    This game is absolutely amazing. The first moment you see Columbia will floor you. The combat is tense and extremely satisfying, the characters feel amazingly real, the story is beautiful, and the setting is astonishing. Just buy it. You won't regret it.
  22. Mar 29, 2013
    Bioshock Infinite is an instant classic. It may look different than the underwater utopia of Rapture that we have all come to know and love, but Columbia has its own charm. It's interesting to walk around and take in the sights or just explore the floating city in the clouds. The streets are full of life and personality. The colors are bright and vivid, the visuals are spectacular. Bioshock as a series sets itself apart though its compelling narrative and themes, Infinite remains true to the series. The combat is fun and the new vigors are fun to use, however I miss the weapon wheel from the previous titles. There's not much else to say without spoiling the experience so just go buy it and enjoy! Expand
  23. Mar 28, 2013
    This game is simply BEAUTIFUL! I was so drawn in and immersed in this universe that i couldn't stop playing. The graphics, the world, the story is all amazing. It has been a while since I have felt this way about a game and been in awe. The story is great with a killer ending that will leave you thinking for a while. When the big plot twisted hits its a wow moment for sure. Buy this game and you will not be disappointed, a real treat! Expand
  24. Mar 31, 2013
    Forget Game of the Year, one of the greatest games of all-time has arrived. It doesn't push gameplay boundaries (although the gameplay is fantastic, fast and fun, with some great "playground"-style battlegrounds all throughout), the graphics aren't revolutionary (though beautiful, don't expect next-gen just yet), and the pacing is a bit off (depends on how you play, really), this is one of the greatest stories ever told in the annals of videogamedom. An absolute mind destroyer of storytelling, intricate and well-plotted, unforgettabel characters, a fully-relaized alternate history, and that ending! Ken Levine and the entire team at Irrational Games can retire, right now. You have my permission. Don't, please, games would suffer without you. But, have a cigar. Take a vacation. You've earned it. Expand
  25. Mar 27, 2013
    My faith in video games was restored by this game. The constant release of trash titles was seriously affecting my purchases to the point where for the past 2 years I've bought 3 console games. The in game world is beautiful and immersing as the previous Bioshock games were. With the change of scenery I was skeptical, but what a surprise it was to find that the world played along with the story very nicely. The story is gripping, twisting and turning always leaving you with questions that you are never sure will be answered. However, be prepared; there are fewer choices to be made as this tale is more linear than the previous games. Not much of a negative though since there are still plenty of choices to be made. If you are a fan of the first 2 and are open to new ideas, this game is a MUST buy for you. Expand
  26. Mar 26, 2013
    This game is a masterpiece! They managed to do EVERYTHING Right! I got a good 16 hours out of this game, If your thinking about buying this game, DO IT, You wont regret it!
  27. Mar 26, 2013
    Haven't finished it yet but I am 3 hours in and I already know that this game delivers. It is absolutely stunningly beautiful and very fun. I wouldn't be surprised if this wins game of the year. It is very hard to put down.
  28. Mar 26, 2013
    One of the best games this gen, and best FPS. GOTY for sure. The story is amazing and a amazing twist. the graphics are top notch and voice acting is top notch.
  29. Apr 5, 2013
    This is everything we hoped it would be and more. Far exceeded my expectations. Those giving it a low score need to take a good hard look at what they're implying by giving this game a 0 or 2 etc. Infinite is far above the maximum score of 10 we're allowed to give.
  30. Mar 30, 2013
    BioShock Infinite is definitely one of the greatest games I've played in the last few years, and I'm having a tough time discerning whether I like this better than the original or not. Even in 720p, the graphics look stunning. The controls are possibly the tightest in the entire series. The story-line is a lot more narrative than the original game, and despite the linearity never gets boring. To give this game any negative reviews because of its lack of multiplayer is to deny what should be the greatest part of any game experience like this: A solid campaign that makes the player want to pick up their controller to play again. If anything, the game could have used a bit more length. However, at the same time there is so much to see in the virtual game world of Columbia that additional content might not be necessary for a little while.

In short, everyone who considers themselves a gamer should find some way to play BioShock Infinite, because it's definitely Game of the Year material.

1. May 27, 2013
    In an infinite universe, anything can happen, but in Infinite's, the specifics are what get you.
  2. Apr 23, 2013
    One of those rare games that speaks to the player on a personal, emotional level with a thought-provoking, mature storyline set in one of the most amazing worlds conceived in a game. Plus, it's a wonderful FPS with deep, tactical combat. Essential. [Issue#230, p.66]
  3. Multiple dimensions and a clever scenario with a surprise around every corner make it difficult for us to explain our enthusiasm without spoiling the story. Only the extended ghost chase (literally) halfway through the game drags on a bit too long. [April 2013, p.74]