7.9

1. Nov 18, 2014
    Great game. A real Strategy based game but filled with action and excitement. I agree the graphics are not mind blowing but the game itself is great. Being able to turn the tide of war and being more realistic with the different arsenal is great.
  2. Sep 30, 2013
    I will give a very honest review of this game I am long time KOEI fan and have played my own fair share of Dynasty Warriors, Samurai Warriors, Nobunaga's Ambition, and Romance of the Three Kingdoms. However, this game took a different turn in terms of location and gameplay elements, which got my hopes up high. Starting the game i was happy with the game for a while, though since I viewI will give a very honest review of this game I am long time KOEI fan and have played my own fair share of Dynasty Warriors, Samurai Warriors, Nobunaga's Ambition, and Romance of the Three Kingdoms. However, this game took a different turn in terms of location and gameplay elements, which got my hopes up high. Starting the game i was happy with the game for a while, though since I view myself as a KOEI fan I feel I need to address some major concerns with the game as a whole. The good stuff first though, the gameplay is addicting and fresh, based more so on tactical combat rather than hack-and-slash. The voice acting, though a bit corny, does do its best in staying authentic with its british and french voices. Leveling up and using different units makes for great variety during combat and each battle you participate in does feel grand and epic due to the massive scale of the fights around you. Hearing news that an enemy base is taken or your ally is defeated in battle, on a completely different side of the battlefield makes the game seem much larger and active, which I believe is its greatest strength. Unfortunately, there are some problems that come into play very early on. The first major flaw is the hit detection, I don't know about anyone else who played this but i experienced a LOT of faulty hit detection during close encounters, mainly with sword units. They initially attack way too early and give up an opening for attack on you and your units. The combat, though strategically fun, is incredibly wonky and usually unresponsive if your up against less than groups of enemies. Early on in the game enemy AI and allied AI would act accordingly and logically in battle, attacking their nearest base and providing sufficient defense. However later in the game the AI goes completely braindead! Almost as if they have no clue what to do, or most of the time they leave YOU to do all the fighting and just sit tight in the back. The Graphics arent too good for PS3 and 360 standards, and the battles seem to get repetitive after a while when you know enemy weaknesses very well as well as your ability to abuse their intelligence. The battles are overall grand but ultimately are a mixed bag for me, as i LOVE the concept of this game, i really do. But I cannot bring myself to rate it as a great game in its current form. Expand

1. A very, very good videogame: another brilliant evolution of Koei's unique interpretation of the real-time strategy genre, and every bit as satisfying as previous efforts. What it lacks in terms of the speed and immediacy of, say, Gundam Musou, it makes up for with strategic range, design ingenuity, and conceptual novelty. [JPN Import]
  2. Although it's cool that you can customize your army and equipment and change sides in the battle whenever you wish, Bladestorm is just too repetitive to be worth $60. [Dec 2007, p.89]
  3. With all these hiccups, I'm shocked this war lasted one year, let alone 100. [Dec 2007, p.109]