7.8

1. Oct 19, 2010
    A fantastic 2D platform puzzle game that is quite unique. The puzzles are by far the best part of the game. Very challenging at times but not insurmountable. I found them to be intelligently thought through with some lateral and creative thinking required. I understand that for some people these kinds of challenges are simply not enjoyable. If that's you, then you should pass on this game. The artsy style and approach are merely an added bonus but make the game an enjoyable and quirky place to spend your time. As other reviewers have pointed out, it is a little short. I do not believe that this detracts from the value for money the game provides but instead shows its ability to leave you wanting more, much like Portal. Expand
  2. Oct 19, 2010
    Slightly gimmicky. Graphics aren't very good. I thought this was a flash game I played for free 4 years ago. I wouldn't pay money for this. As far as puzzlers or platformers I've played games that are more focused and more challenging than this.
  3. Aug 31, 2010
    A lovely little game. The gameplay is familiar enough and sticks with what works, but the time techniques offer up a really unique set of rules and ways to complete the tasks. Some of the puzzles in this were really tricky, but I enjoyed playing every moment. It was a game that when I finished it (it is too short) I really longed for more.
  4. Oct 18, 2010
    One of my top ten games ever. The art and music are perfect. The story is vague, yes, but that's part of why it's so incredible. Nothing is in black and white. The time travel mechanics are flawless and make ingenious puzzles possible. The game is also indeed short, but this is because it's an amazing experience from beginning to end, with nothing unnecessary. The story is about everything, instead of only one topic, similar to The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien (a war story about war and a million other things). The game will teach you about the universe and yourself. The game is something that must be experienced; reading about it does it no justice. Please, for yourself, play this game. Expand
  5. Feb 6, 2012
    Braid is the smartest and most engaging game I have ever played ... and I have played them all. The game is beautiful. The music is amazing and soothing. The puzzles are smart but never too hard and very rewarding. The story requires alot of thought and gives alot of interpretations. Shortly: one of the best games ever made.
  6. Oct 7, 2011
    This is not a game. This is work. Sorry, not for me. Games are supposed to be fun; they are not supposed to imply we're stupid. I confess I did enjoy it for the first half hour or so. Then it just went down hill. I'm all for challenge, but this games crosses a very tiny frontier and becomes a boring challenge.
  7. Apr 30, 2013
    If I could only play one genre of videogame, it'd be 2D puzzle-based platformers. And if I could only play just one more game, it'd almost certainly be Braid. Art style, gameplay, content, difficulty etc, Braid just gets everything right and I utterly adore it!

I often recommend Braid to my fellow gamers, and I reckon that I've probably got them a good couple of dozen downloads over
    the past year or two. But all I ask of indie developer Number None Inc in return is this...

PLEASE, PLEASE BRING BRAID TO PLAYSTATION VITA!!

What with the likes of Spelunky, Limbo, The Walking Dead, Fez, Lone Survivor, Hotline Miami, and Terraria all headed to Vita in 2013, Sony are definitely getting their indie on as far as Vita is concerned. As a huge fan of the indie gaming scene, this is fantastic, but for me, if ever a game was just begging to be added to that formidable indie line-up, it's Braid.

If you're listening out there in Internet-land Number None, I reckon that Braid and Vita were just made for each other. So, wadda'ya say?
  8. May 25, 2012
    Extremely hard and obtuse puzzles from a very early stage. Well designed game but just oversteps the fine line between challenging and irrirating for me.
  9. Dec 22, 2013
    Braid is a masterpiece with ingenious gameplay mechanics and puzzles. If you are looking for a game that will challenge your mind, then look no further. This is one of the most brutal thinking games ever made. Thankfully, the rest of the game is top notch as well. Every part of the game fits together wonderfully to create an amazingly poetic experience. The controls are precise and intentional...and the puzzles are some of the most tough, original and creative mind benders I've ever experienced. What really exemplifies the experience is the satisfaction you feel when everything finally clicks in your brain and you conquer the puzzle. The game's pace is also excellent with a gradual incline of difficulty with absolutely no filler. The puzzles range from very easy to very difficult. The great selection of music also really adds to the experience. The classical pieces really help to soothe your brain as you attempt to conquer each one. Braid's difficulty and sense of achievement is akin to Dark Souls in the fact that you will feel strong camaraderie, pride and empathy to others who have experienced the journey of Braid. Braid isn't simply a game that can be explained in words, it's a journey that must be taken. Only then, can one understand the sense of joy and satisfaction one gets from this game. I'll admit I was very skeptical to this game. On the surface, it looked like a cheap knockoff of Mario. I was so skeptical that I actually only played it recently after reading negative comments towards the game's creator in a gaming article. I was intrigued by the controversial nature surrounding the game and its creator. Some were hailing it as one of the best games ever while bashing the game's creator. I decided I wanted to get some perspective on this issue and checked out some interviews of Johnathan Blow and the movie Indie Game: The Movie. The movie shed light on the difficulty, time and stress involved to create these games. I finally decided to check out Braid to see what the big deal was. Little did I know I was in for a big surprise that would change my whole attitude about Braid and its creator. Expand
  10. Jul 28, 2012
    This game is perfect. An interesting story, nice controls, time puzzles that are well done and a great set of secret stars to find. @RussellL Oh, you wanted to be Soap Mactavish and teabag very noob in an online mode. Delete your Metacritic account(if possible) and go back to join your retarded friends in COD, I'll go play Braid.
  11. Aug 7, 2012
    This is one of the coolest side scrollers I've ever played. This is almost the perfect example of the recent trend of side scrolling puzzle games, along with other games like Limbo. The mood of this game is very....well, mysterious. You feel like you've picked up right in the middle of something, but you don't know what exactly preceded it. Anyway, keeping away from spoilers, the game has a lot of very interesting puzzles to it, and if you have a lot of time to spare, there are even more things to do. It's a short game, but a game that shouldn't be all that long. It's one of the better games of the current generation of games. Expand
  12. Nov 13, 2012
    To review this game, I had to read other user reviews done on this site. And to be honest, I realized something: every person who gave this game a negative or even mixed review is just not getting the concept of the game or too simple to solve it's puzzles. But let me talk about the game itself. The graphics are real simple yet so beautiful. It really is a soothing game to look at. As for the music, it makes me feel lost in the game. Famous developers now a days don't concentrate on music and forget that music is part of the whole experience (Not all though, Music in Skyrim is awesome). The music in Braid just makes me feel like I'm in a different plain all together. Honestly, even if the gameplay was crap I'd still give it a 9 just because of the music (sorry for the exaggeration). But, fortunately, the gameplay is anything BUT crap. I found some people referring to it as a Super Mario clone. That is just WRONG. Some other people say that the game lacks fun. Have fun playing Call Of Duty because this game is not for simpletons like you. I had immense fun playing this game and challenging my brain. And I will be honest. THIS GAME IS HARD. I found myself pounding my head and screaming at the screen at some points of the game where the puzzles get so crazy. But did that ever make me quit? Never. I didn't quit any Point and Click adventure in my life so I am not quiting this. The gameplay is mostly platforming and jumping on enemies. Then it introduces Time Manipulation in a brilliant way. And every world has a theme to it, like one world is all about rewinding time, the other is about stopping and forwarding...etc. The game is beautiful to say the least. As for the story, it feels more or less like a poem. It was MEANT to be misleading and hard to get. Although I still don't fully grasp the story, It still is an interesting one. But If I wanted to rate a story I would review a Point And Click adventure not Braid. Did Limbo have an amazing story? Exactly. I gave this game a 10 because it deserves it. And it is not over-rated at all. This game deserves the support of everyone and to rate it lower than a 9 is saying that you are a Call Of Duty fan. Which means: Don't rate our games you gamer wanna-bes. Expand
  13. Apr 5, 2013
    Absolutely beautiful game. The art style is unique, game play superb, and story compelling.
    The only major downfall is the length; far too short. The game gives you an aware for beating it in 45 minutes. so that should say something about the length problem.
  14. Oct 17, 2013
    Nice game, original concept but it's too short, you will finish the whole game in 3-4 hours or less if you are really good. The few extra are almost impossible and boring to find. The graphic is a bit outdated, the music is pretty good though.
    Overall it's not a masterpiece but a funny, really really short game.

Graphic: 5
    Sound: 8
    Playability: 7
    Longevity:3
    Worth: 4
  15. Jul 12, 2013
    Very poetic puzzles game, calm, beatiful...

If you like hard puzzle game, you will just love this one! In my case, I burn my brain trying to finish it...and I still didn't end it! I didn't use to play this kind of game so maybe I didn't get all the mecanism!

1. A moving story, serene visuals, and brilliant puzzles make Braid an adventure that you absolutely should experience.
    Despite the short length and somewhat limited replay value, Braid's artistic vision and intelligent design is more than enough reason to download the game right away. Jonathan Blow's notoriety in the indie landscape is well deserved.
  3. Braid is a great game that will force you to flex your mental muscle; in a way, it’s similar to something like echochrome, simply because you have to “bend” your mind into a certain shape before you can fully comprehend the skewed setting and premise.