6.9

1. Oct 10, 2011
    I remember playing Crysis on the PC and thinking 'this is an awesome game, wish it was in the ps3.' Crysis 2 came out and i played it but it didn't feel like the original, it was linear and the combat was scripted. when Crysis was announced for ps3 i jumped for joy, i bought it and love it. the graphics are good as many current shooters and the controllers are easy to master. you feel like a badass playing this game and the huge open spaces allow you to undertake a mission any way you want, adding replayability. Trophies are a great thing to see and being rewarded for being a badass is great. the little things about the game are great, such as picking up a turtle. swimming with the fishes, sniping the missiles on the side of the helicoptor causing them ignite. shooting the tire out on a humvee as its coming toward you making it flip and roll out of control-I rhymed- overall i recommend it. Expand
  2. Jan 12, 2012
    One thing to mention, this is NOT really an open world or even sandbox game. I'm not saying this as a complaint, it's just that I saw it being called one so often and was surprised how linear it actually was, so I thought I'd mention it for others. Yes, of course, a lot of the areas are more open than in most other FPS games, but you cannot go anywhere anytime or toy around on the island ect. Save for a few sidemissions, this is structured like your regular shooter, but again, that's no bad thing, in fact, when a linear shooter can pretend it's an open game that well, that's probably a good thing, really.

However, I happened to not like it that much, after all. Before the "creatures" appear, it's always the same, the same enemies over and over again ect., which is understandable since it's a pseudorealistic setting, so no zombiecyborgkittens from outer space in a tutu. The nanosuit is kind of interesting at first, but you'll soon learn the only thing of real value is the stealth mode ... which will be used again and again and again. Not too bad, I love stealth games to death, that's why I got this game to begin with, but it's just not done very interestingly. If you decide to rely more on weapon power, it plays like a regular FPS with nothing special to it, to be honest. Things get a bit spiced up when the creatures appear and the silly military crap gets ditched, but there's little variation then as well. I think there's two different creature enemies and the one is basically just a smaller version of the other.

Most annyoing aspect of the game, of the nanosuit, to be precise, is that it talks to you whenever you activate one of the functions ect. It's horrible, in some situations you'll hear "stealth mode - engaged" or similar stuff ten times and more a minute and it cannot be turned off. What were they thinking?

There are a few zero gravity sections, I did like those a lot and even though I considered the enemies there to be kind of annoying, it was tense and fun.

Didn't think the graphics were all that spectacular as people made it sound and there were even frequent bugs and glitches. (In the graphics, gameplaywise, I only ran into one glitch with the end boss that was resolved by quitting and restarting the game. Oh, by the way, the final boss is super annoying, even on Normal difficulty.)

What else ...? Well, there's the story, but: LOL. No, really. Generic "ancient evil/alien attack" BS a B-movie would be ashamed of with ridiculous military crap and characters and dialogue so laughable, you'll wonder if it was meant as a parody.

Overall, I know I sounded mostly negatively here, but there IS fun to be had and there ARE interesting concepts in the game, like the stealth for instance, but for how generic and sometimes even boring the rest is I cannot rate this game any higher than "above average".
  3. Oct 19, 2011
    Excellent shooting game. better than most FPS games that have come out in the 4 years since the original PC version. It's up there with Half Life 2 in my opinion. Great graphics, clever AI, excellent weapons. Better than Rage.
  4. Mar 3, 2013
    Having only played this game for the first time a few days ago, I can confidently say this game is one of the best first-person shooters on the PS3 and other consoles. The graphics are amazingly pristine, the environment and scenery is beautiful and the campaign is well done.
    I have to admit, when I first started the game, I didn't expect to be enthralled in the game as much as I was. The
    controls took a little time to get used to, but once I got the hang of it, the game improved in leaps and bounds. This is definitely engaging and puts the player in some tight spots, giving you the choice of acting stealthily or going on an all-out rampage! I personally preferred playing silently, which leads me into the weapons and attachments. This was one of my favourite things about the game, that you could easily modify a weapon to your specific taste. It's the little things like this that make the game stand out against the cloned FPS games present today. I also liked the fact that when playing on Delta difficulty, the game will not translate the enemy dialogue in game. This is a cool, yet challenging addition to the campaign and is quite refreshing to see.
    My main problems with the game is the length of the story; It is somewhere along the lines of 15 hours of gameplay.The individual chapters themselves also seem to last too long. I do like the secondary objectives that can open up the game a bit more, making it seem less linear. Each chapter's map is fairly large and surprisingly varied, considering the majority of the game is set on one island.
    Overall, a brilliant effort by Crytek. A welcome addition to the FPS genre, offering fresh ideas, captivating visuals and an interesting story.
  5. Oct 21, 2011
    this is what most FPS games should be like. first off this actaully has realistic enemy AI that doesnt track you through walls because the devs are abunch of lazy idiots . you can actaully loose your aggro from enimys and use stealth . the game is very tactical and not run around like a chicken with your head cut off shoot every thing that moves boringness. i feel like i actaully have to put some thought in my next move. the game is also best played on delta level as you will get a nice challange. the world is just great looking and yes it may not look as good as it did on a high end PC but it still looks damn good on the PS3. the game has a open world feel but is not true open world like say far cry 2 . you also dont get a big selection of guns . what i really like though is the game makes you feel like a super soldier with the armor you use . i love the ability of going invisable and stalking my enemies. you also get a shield as well . you can also add all kinds of attachments to your guns which is pretty cool. about the only 2 downsides i have with this game are the last 90 min turns into run and gun or just run if you want which is still kinda cool. also no online mode . i would have loved to see what this game was like online . still though for just $20 for this game its very much worth it. Expand
  6. Oct 25, 2011
    This game has aged well! Looks good and gameplay is about the same as Crysis 2. However Crysis 2 is a much better game and has improved. If you have never played Crysis then I would recommend you start right away with Crysis 2. In my opinion the first Crysis on the PS3 is for the fans who enjoyed Crysis 2 and want some more. I really could see people buy and play Crysis and afterwards don't bother to play Crysis 2. Expand
  7. May 5, 2012
    I remember when there was so much hype about Crysis on the PC and it's phenomenally amazing graphics, I remember wishing I had a PC that could play crysis so when I saw crysis was coming to consoles I flipped. I was stoked. Little did I know I would be entering a world of one of the worst FPS hidden behind an amazing environment. Where to start? The enemies have AI that is to be marveled at because you wonder just how dumb could one be? The character models of enemies are awful they are the worst why can't you have both a great environment and decent looking enemies? I don't know what happened there. The destructible buildings were kind of cool at first, then it got a little boring. Nothing too impressive. Story makes no sense. I don't know what to make of it at all. I'm not too sure what the differences are between the PC and PS3 versions are but I can tell you this much do research before you buy this game. Over rated. Expand
  8. Jul 18, 2012
    Um..... this game sucks? No, it really sucks. Maybe years ago this was good when you release it on pc, but this is now. And this sucks. The funny thing is, it was amazing for a couple hours. But then the whole 'this game sucks' thing started to happen. There's worse dl games (Skullgirls- I heard the developers got fired because of how horrible the game was), but this one def is a complete waste of money. Buy a used copy of Resistence or Killzone 2 for the same price. I'm pretty sure the developers of this game got fired as well. Expand
  9. Feb 20, 2013
    First off, I have never played Crysis on the PC, but looking at the videos on YouTube, there is a graphical difference; the PC version obviously more superior. And there's no multiplayer, which is quite disappointing. But other than that,the game is quite fun. I love how you can complete objectives in a number of ways. I like trying to get through some sections without alerting anyone and without killing any soldier. It's really tense. The story was...ok. I got this when it was discounted at $15. Now its $20, but I think its still worth your time. You will definitely want to play this campaign more than once. Expand
  10. Nov 3, 2011
    I didn't get to play Crysis on pc, but Crysis 2 made me wish I had. How happy I was to learn that a console port was in the works. I can't offer an opinion on the transition from pc to console so I will concentrate on the game's merits. As a dlc title, it pushes the limits for presentation. There is no multiplayer component included, just a solid campaign to rival any game that comes out of a box. There is a greater sense of freedom than in the sequel, allowing full exploitation of your suit's various abilities and vehicular opportunities. The campaign is of a decent length, with interesting missions and fun trophies adding an incentive for replay. Enemy troops can become an exercise in tedium on higher difficulties, and you can become stuck inside certain terrain such as rocks should you stray too far but overall the experience is engaging and empowering. Expand
  11. Nov 6, 2013
    This game is pretty good. I felt like this game was better than the original Far Cry. A lot of fun trekking through the jungle with the Nanosuit. Plot was decent, nothing special, but thought it was weird to end the first installment in a franchise with a cliffhanger. This version didn't include multiplayer to my disappointment.
  12. Sep 4, 2014
    Graphics: 8.5 Gameplay: 8.5 Fun: 9 Controls: 9.5 Ease to Learn: 9 Story: 8.5 Length: 8.5 Re-play: 8 Audio: 10 Bugs/Glitches: some BETTER THAN CRYSIS 2
  13. Jan 9, 2014
    This game is so disappointing. I came in with high hopes, as I have heard so many good things about the PC version.

I only played about 10 minutes, as the AI is terribly average and the driving is shocking. I'll give this one a definite miss !!!

1. While this version of Crysis comes sans multiplayer, it's also available for a budget price, and the single-player campaign alone is easily worth the price of admission. [Dec 2011, p79]
  2. You run, sneak and drive around an island that is so beautiful that you would gladly trade in your weapons for swimming trunks and have the rest of the day off for some sunbathing. [Nov 2011, p.98]
  3. Dec 1, 2011