8.3

1. Mar 11, 2014
    The game is amazing... feels a lot like a hybrid between Demon and Dark souls.... This game is more friendly to newcomers but doesn't punish it's core fans like myself.... I played 40 hours of the game, I got a copy early and I'm still not finished the game yet..... I love exploring the vast world and there is much more content in this game more so than Dark Souls 1... I can't imagine anyone not liking this game..... For the first 12 hours the game was easier than Dark Souls 1, but after that 12 hour mark the game is harder than Dark Souls 1... You must buy this game..... Expand
  2. Mar 11, 2014
    Easily one of the greatest RPGs of this generation. If you are a gamer that wants to explore and figure things out by yourself you will love it, if you aren't then you won't like it. Like Dark Souls, this game does not hold you hand. It encourages to seek answers for yourself. But it has a more advanced tutorial section than Dark Souls. So it will be helpful to newcomers of the game.The difficulty level is even higher, and the penalty of death is even severe than its predecessor. But if you have the will, you will overcome it. The combat is excellent. It is more fluid and smooth than DaS. I have played almost 20 hours and haven't felt so excited and terrified at the same time playing a game ever before. The enemy design is quite intimidating. You won't just rush into enemies, like other games, before planning what are you going to do. I think this is the most unique game I have played in a LONG time. If you don't have the patience or just play games casually I won't recommend this game. This game needs your time. But if you overcome the challenges of it you will experience a sense of accomplishment like never before. I yelled when I beat the second boss, because he was tough and I died like 15 time trying to beat. But when I did I was overjoyed. So be prepared to die, again and again. Expand
  3. Mar 11, 2014
    I would give this game a 9.8.....Well what can I say really...... This is Dark Souls with Demon Souls sprinkled on top....Controls take a bit of getting used to as they are not exactly the same as the other games..... It loses a couple points because to be honest I feel that the movements of the player do not feel quite right, hard to explain, best I can describe it would be ..light.....There is still no hand holding in this game (good thing) however the tutorial section is more in-depth than the other souls games...There are a lot of surprises in this game that I will not spoil but I'll just say that fans of the series will like it very much.....However the game is not for you if you enjoy hand holding, and arrows pointing you to your next objective.... If you are a gamer that likes challenge and learning from your mistakes, this is for you.......... Graphics are updated in this game as well.... There are even more bosses this time around, and there are more variety of enemies as well...... This is Dark Souls at it's finest....... I will say that the lore in this game is there.......but it is lacking compared to the original in my opinion...... I liked how in the first game you had to put the pieces together to figure out the lore behind the game....... In this game as you progress through new areas you find out more about the areas while you play it..... I liked Dark Souls 1 way of doing it better......The boss music in this game is well done as well......
    So if you are a fan of the other souls games, you will not be disappointed, if you are a newcomer, I will just tell you that, you will die a lot, and if you do not like games like that or if you like hand holding, this isn't for you....I think this game is the best so far in the soul series and hope that Dark Souls 3 keeps it up.......
  4. Mar 11, 2014
    All ready a few hours in; and I can tell you if you enjoyed Dark Souls or Demon Souls, you will most definitely enjoy this entry. Most of the features that make it so awesome and exciting remain; and ever so much the challenge is intact. Definitely the game that still gives life to the now "older" systems.
  5. Mar 11, 2014
    What can i say...it was well worth the wait... graphics upgrade, technical combat system, a mysterious tale, very minimal guidance....and yes....a million deaths...a must buy for anyone who desires the sleepless nights that come along with it...10/10 i say.
  6. Mar 11, 2014
    Dark souls 1 Kicked my butt so hard that i left it for almost a year, but then i played it again for the sake of just knowing how it ends, It was Amazing, i played it for 3 more new game+++, but it had it lacks, but this game, This game is PERFECT! You can Finally Use Dual Swords effectively, Range Weapons Actually works for both PVP and PVE! Bosses are great, But its no where being Easy, this game will not hold your hands, the moment you Create Your Character, you have your Freedom. Dark souls 1 was 3.9 GB, and this game is Almost 12 Gb on the PC, 12 GB of content that is! Expand
  7. Mar 11, 2014
    I LOVE THIS GAME from the bottom of my ass. It's the best game i have ever played i just love it the engine just stuns me. I give it 10/10 of the story and the amazing graphic!

My wore may game - Alidengote 2014
  8. Mar 11, 2014
    Just made an account because I wanted to give a thumbs up to this game......Everything is better than it's predecessor, except a few changes that I didn't like personally but the changes do necessarily make it bad....just not what I like, so I don't deduct points for it... I don't like how the enemies de-spawn after 10 kills....but I can see why people like it.......I don't like how it lost the goth look of the previous game, but at the same time I welcome the change.... I guess it's a love/hate thing... I also do not like how you can't level up at a bonfire and have to return to majula every time you want to level up, others may like that because of Demon Souls, I thought it was a step backwards.The game runs a lot better than the first Dark Souls, feels a lot more smooth and the graphics have been improved as well.The map layout isn't as much of a masterpiece as it's predecessor but I can see why they went this route, I guess they didn't want it to become predictable, so they changed it up. However I do not like the layout as much as Dark Souls 1, the areas do look a lot better. There are more bosses in this game but some bosses are kind of the same. Dark Souls was similar with the Asylum,Firesage and Sage demons.....As for atmosphere, this game does a very good job....Not quite up to par with demon souls, but I would say it's a touch better than Dark Souls albeit losing it's gothic color......I feel some fans of the series will not welcome the changes, but I do, ven though some of the changes I do not like, I can not take any points off because of them, because it can be good thing for some and bad for others....If you are a person who wants the latest graphics and hand holding...... this game is not for you..... The graphics have never been the shining star in the soul series, that is not to say the graphics are terrible...they are decent and they get the job done...This is not the 2nd coming of Crisis when it comes to graphics..... The controls are very good this time around, at first I hated how the game locks on to targets, wasn't like Dark Souls, but after going through the options, you can change the lock on to how you want it, otherwise the game will only attack in the direction you are facing, where as in Dark Souls 1, it would follow the enemy...This game is harder than dark souls 1, some may find it easier at first, but I think it's for welcoming the newcomers, because it doesn't take too long before the game will chew you up and spit you out... There is one boss in this game( he is optional) but this boss is the hardest friggen boss in any of the souls game put together, you will have to use every skill you have to beat the boss.I might add too that it is my favorite boss out of all the souls games and it feels so rewarding to beat the boss, even though it is optional. Some hardcore fans of the series might be turned off at first ( like I was) but that soon changes once you get more into the game. That is all I can say right now without giving too much away. This is a experience you can not miss, and even if you do not like challenging games you should at least rent it, this is the type of game that can turn a casual gamer into a hardcore gamer. Once you play a game like this, it is hard to like anything else.. Happy gaming everyone Expand
  9. Mar 11, 2014
    An all around superior version of Dark Souls, on a new engine with shiny new graphics, improved gameplay, improved animations, improved polish, more stuff to do... There's just nothing to complain about, it's all epic.
  10. Mar 11, 2014
    This game nails everything dead on. Art design and atmosphere: perfect. Level of difficulty: perfect. Sound design: amazing. It's a quiet understated story, worth multiple playthroughs to piece together. This isn't only as good as Dark Souls, it's better in almost every conceivable way. You will die, you will curse, you will clench your controller in frustration, but you will never forget your experience with this game. This is easily the best RPG I've played since Xenoblade Chronicles. Buy this game. Now. Expand
  11. Mar 11, 2014
    I never played something that had save points this difficult. Graphics are the best of this generation, gameplay and history are flawless. If you liked the first one this is a must buy!
  12. Mar 11, 2014
    I like to play this game naked and I cut myself and put salt in my wounds... That is truly the way to play the souls series... I also hacked the game already so it would allow me to use my invention my shock therapy device, so every time I die in Dark souls I get an electric shock... It was the only way I learn...When I beat a boss I have been on for a long time, I celebrate by rubbing peanut butter on my nipples and then I punch myself in the face. So all you guys saying you are true dark souls players......ya right.... Play it with shock therapy while having your nutts in a vice... I think I'm the true fan here, I lost one of my nutts to Demon souls, don't worry I keep it in my tackle box... Rated T Expand
  13. Mar 11, 2014
    Sensational. Just sensational. An enormous game of earned triumph. The lore is fantastic, the world is eery and terrifying, the enemies are repulsive and ingenious, the gameplay is crushing and rewarding. A grand mix of Demon's Souls and Dark Souls together in a game that is certainly the best in the series.
  14. Mar 12, 2014
    Dark Souls II is a glorious lovechild of both Demon's Souls and Dark Souls. It provides the best of both worlds while remaining exceptionally challenging and rewarding. The world is dark, dangerous and full of atmosphere, carrying on Dark Souls' seamless areas. Every area is connected in some way and it gives incredible depth to the world. Funny enough, however, it is in this point exactly that we see one of Dark Souls II's small flaws.

While the world is seamless and vast, you are allowed to 'quick travel' from bonfire to bonfire with no restrictions. This is a convenient service, and indeed might be considered necessary by many, but it detracts from the large world it helps you travel. One of the challenges of Dark Souls was trying to make your way out of a challenging area that you just conquered. In Dark Souls II this is not present, as you may simply use a bonfire to escape the area to safety.

This removes some of the challenge from the game and can make the world seem smaller than it really is. While there is definitely a lot of exploration to be had in Dark Souls II, many players will probably not have a chance to see it all in favor of traveling from bonfire to bonfire to progress the game. With some restrictions set in place, such as requiring an item or souls to use the quick travel, there would be more incentive to travel large distances on foot and it is my hope that FromSoftware takes this to heart for the next installment.

In true Demon's Souls style leveling your character has also changed. No longer do you level at any bonfire; you must now speak to a certain character every time you wish to level. While many will miss the ease of leveling at any bonfire, this system adds more to the world and makes you truly feel like you are getting stronger.

The combat in Dark Souls II is an improvement over the first games and adds some much needed changes. Dual wielding in combat is viable in skilled hands, and archery finds itself more useful as well. Most of the controls have carried over, with some small variations (such as the 'dash jump'), making it easy to pick up and play the game if you have played any of the games before. However, combat is not without its annoyances.

The addition of the 'Adaptability' statistic is an illustration of one of the new annoyances added in Dark Souls II. Raising your Adaptability stat increases some of your resistances but, more importantly, your Agility. Raising your Agility affects the 'speed' of your animations. What does this mean? If you have little Adaptability, and your agility is low, there will be a 'delay' between swinging an attack and your next action. This may not seem terribly bad at first, but if you are fighting more than one enemy and you attack one of them you may find yourself not having enough time to react to an attack from another. It makes fighting multiple enemies extremely frustrating as you have very little chances to attack with no fear of retaliation.

Despite this small annoyance combat is fresh and fun and requires a great amount of skill to get the most out of. This is very noticeable in healing items, actually. The Estus Flask from Dark Souls has returned but a new addition is the Lifegem. Lifegems have much quicker animations than the Estus Flask but restore health over time, slowly, rather than all at once. This sounds simple at first, but requires a tactical mind to get the most out of. The difference between using an Estus Flask or a Lifegem is a matter of life and death.

Lastly, Dark Souls II has an incredible sound track and sound effects. This is immediately noticeable on the Title Screen, boasting a very nice song. The ambient sounds as you travel as well really help set the mood and it is easy to get lost in the world. Each enemy is given life as they are all given sounds to completely fit their character.

Overall, Dark Souls II is a worthy successor to the games before it. Indeed, its flaws are small enough that it might even trump them both.
  15. Mar 12, 2014
    Picture a perfect game in your head...oh wait you don't have to it's called Dark Souls II and you should get a copy for PS3, XBOX, or PC. ALL HAIL FROMSOFTWARE. PRAISE THE SUN.
  16. Mar 11, 2014
    This is one of the best games I have played in a very long time. The pacing is great, environments gorgeous, the replayability is fantastic due to multiple play-styles being viable, the soundtrack fills your heart with dread as you stare at the next monstrosity in your way, the gameplay is solid, and most importantly the controls are superb. I don't want to spoil anything so I will stop here. To the new players, do yourself a favor and pick this game up. And if you are a fan of the Souls series, why are you even reading my review? Go play the game because you undoubtedly own it already! Expand
  17. Mar 11, 2014
    One of the few games I'd call truly perfect.

Incredible, beautiful dark atmosphere and visuals, haunting music, pitch-perfect voice acting, mysterious hints of a grand and terrible story given through small hints in everything from bodies on the ground to key descriptions.

All of this is layered on top of the most polished, punishing, and ultimately rewarding combat system I've ever
    played on.

This is a game of the year. A game of the decade. A fitting send-off to a generation of gaming.

Prepare to die.
  18. Mar 13, 2014
    Dark Souls II is a fantastic sequel. Everything is more polished and refined. The wonderful art direction, incredible enemy design, challenge and the great atmosphere make this game a must buy. This is not for the faint of heart however. You will die and the game requires patience. This doesn't mean it's for only the ''hardcore gamers'', no. It's for everyone to try out. You'll still have a great experience, even if you somehow don't manage to finish the game up.

Dark Souls II is visually stunning. The art style and varied environments keep the game feeling fresh. Even when you're ''stuck'' in a section of the game world for several hours even, you never feel like something is getting old. You constantly learn something new, whether it's a new attack pattern or a well hidden item.

Just like it's predecessors, Dark Souls II is INCREDIBLY rewarding. Even for a Souls vet, like myself who's put around 2500 hours to both Demon's Souls and Dark Souls combined. You always feel like you're accomplishing something. No developer does it quite like From Software. Today's mainstream franchises feel like a waste of time compared to the Souls series. While, one might argue that the Souls games are mainstream now, with this being the third installment, it still haven't gotten old one bit. From always puts time, love and effort to their games to make sure they're polished and provide the best possible experience. Which probably is why the Souls series is my favorite of this past generation, and i'm sure other people think that as well.

The gameplay is more or less the same. It's still the best combat system around only with some tweaks. Firstly, goodbye invincibility frames when rolling/dodging. This can make some of the first boss encounters feel a little odd, if you're coming from Dark Souls. You might say to yourselves ''THAT DIDN'T EVEN HIT ME!'' but trust me, it did hit you. The hit-boxes are really good in Dark Souls II. The parrying is a bit harder than in the first Dark Souls. It requires more timing and precision.

The lore is still there to be find, even though the core story that you're playing through is explained to you by the various NPCs, the LORE is still there to be found and much speculation to be done.

The boss fights are still incredible, although some of them feel a little too similar to each other, they're still very well designed and deliciously challenging. Here's a hoping for a Next Gen Souls release somewhere down the line. Just take your time From Software!

9.5/10

I rated it a 10 on the score because of the awfully stupid user score system. It's like you're allowing moronic troll children to determine what games people should play. The user score for the Xbox 360 version just keeps going down, it's like one person keeps making accounts to give Dark Souls II zeroes because they have nothing better to do with their life. If you want to see what people REALLY think about the game go see the Playstation 3 section. (unless you're already reading this there, then good for you.)
  19. Mar 13, 2014
    Fromsoft have done it again! Dark Souls 2 is the game we were all hoping for. Brilliant.

One of the changes I did notice more so than others, was my character is a lot slower to start off with. Slow to react, slow to recover and just generally sluggish all round. Took me a while to get used to and twitch reactions weren't coming into play as much as planning out my movements in advance.

Frame rate still drops on my old PS3 in certain areas, but I do plan on switching to PC once it's out.
  20. Mar 11, 2014
    O jogo é excelente, manteve muitas caraterísticas extremamente boas das versões anteriores e inseriram melhores texturas e itens novos. Quanto a dificuldade está bem balanceada, poderia até estar mais dificil, mas está ok.
  21. Mar 11, 2014
    This is not the best RPG history, this is not the best action game history. This is the best game in the truest sense. Imagination, fantasy, exploration and investigation of detail and stacking your own story. These players Mass Effect or Skyrim could never understand. Dark Souls II is a continuation of refined work of art.
  22. Mar 11, 2014
    This game is truly one of a kind. Everything from the gameplay to the atmosphere feels like a genuine RPG. Most of all this game makes you feel like a badass who has gone through a lot of s*** to earn his title.
  23. Mar 12, 2014
    I'd give the game a 9.5 if possible, but it's not so we ended up at a 10. The graphics are quite dated. Great for a PS3, sure, but compared to today's titles, it can take quite a while to get used to. That being said, if you love Demon's Souls or Dark Souls, this game delivers in spades. If you can somehow find the strength of will to hold off until the PC release, I would highly suggest doing so. This game equiped with high-end graphics should be counted among one of the best gaming experiences available. Expand
  24. Mar 11, 2014
    I am long timer Souls fan. I enjoyed the original Demon Souls and Dark Souls. I own a copy of Dark Souls on every platform and have logged over 100+ hours. Dark Souls 2 does not disappoint. Art direction is amazing (lots of light, lots of color, lots of variation), combat is fluid and executes quicker, enemies set traps for you (very creative From!), etc. I could go on but I won't. Most reviews cover the good stuff anyway. Most importantly though, you need to buy a copy of the game and immerse yourself fully. This is the game I have been waiting for. Expand
  25. Mar 11, 2014
    Do I really need to say why this game is **** AWESOME?! Ok. Good graphics, great gameplay, great dialogues and, of course, hard as ****
    I think Dark Souls II is a great name for Best 2014 RPG or maybe even GOTY
  26. Mar 11, 2014
    Note: I have not finished this game, I have only played approximately 8 hours of it. I will do a brief list of pros and cons because it's really the easiest way to compare it to the first game. Pros: Combat is more interesting with more ways to counter attack and better magic systems, Enemy AI is improved (still not perfect, of course), immediately available fast travel, more encouragement for online play through the new humanity system, vastly improved covenants, better stats, more diverse and interesting environments (there are some seriously cool places). Cons: One single leveling location - such a time waster, sound design isn't as good... that's about it.

So far it seems like a great game.
  27. Mar 13, 2014
    this game is awesome. the only reason i didnt give a 10 is, wheres the thief class??? WTF?
    bandit? adventurer? deprived?? come on now.............
  28. Mar 11, 2014
    Absolutely incredible this game is simply one of the best games ever made IMO and sets the new bar for RPGs and games in generally the game took me about 35 hours to complete partly because of the amount of times you die but for me its what makes the game so good because when you finish the game there is no better feeling than knowing that you completed Dark Souls 2. You ask why I see well let me tell why. Its just that every conceivable area has been improved from the original Dark Souls from the gameplay, story, balance, and the overall experience has been improved and has resulted in a true masterpiece in gaming. But I will warn you that this game is only for HARDCORE GAMERS because you aren't then trust me will become a real dark soul but if you are then get out there and buy this masterpiece right now and you wont forget it.
    Thanks for reading my review
  29. Mar 13, 2014
    Dark Souls II might be my favorite of the 3 games. The UI is currently a little buggy, but it has seen some significant design improvements over the previous games.

I feel like in many cases it tries and succeeds to mix the best of both worlds from Demon's Souls and Dark Souls. Death is more punishing than ever, there is a stronger incentive to co-op, there are many more PvP covenants,
    there is a sparring arena.

On top of that the game has a ton of physics and graphics improvements over previous games. Some may not like the brighter, more pastel aesthetic, but it's a fact that the technical quality of the graphics has been bumped up a bit. The physics of the game have been improved by simplifying how smaller, more numerous objects interact and instead focusing on the physics of larger objects like barrels and characters. I like seeing my clothes react and pushing boxes/barrels around at 30fps a lot better than I like watching 4251098 pieces of wood and bodies spaz about at 10fps as sometimes happened in DS1.
  30. Mar 12, 2014
    This game is an absolute masterpiece; both the environments and enemies are beautifully designed, and when combined create a dark, immersive game world. Yes, it is challenging, but the euphoria that you experience when you defeat a tough group of enemies or a boss is second to none in my opinion.
  31. Mar 11, 2014
    I picked it up on day one and I gotta say that in my whole life, I have never played anything better than this game! However, it needs one improvement: graphics and lighting, whereas the demo (not beta) build on PS3 looked better than the retail build, which is disappointing. But still, at least it's better than its predecessor.
  32. Mar 14, 2014
    Praise the Soul games! The enigmatic ambience; the best sword and sorcery combat;
    the thrill of exploration and discovery; the INGENIOUS level design; the aid of companions
    when needed --- it's all back in this sublime, spellbinding sequel. Thanks, From Software.
  33. Mar 15, 2014
    Dark Souls 2 has a strange vibe to it that you can only get while playing it yourself. It's world is so well designed. I love how the game doesn't drop you on a one way roller coaster with its ups and downs, you have all the theme park at your disposal, where you are even allowed to kill the ticket-seller dude (sorry, merchant NPCs:( ). Everybody say it is hard. But we should not just compare its difficulty level to most other games. Its difficulty is fair. It forces you to learn from your mistakes, tinker new plans. Bosses all feel unique. Some are really scary. AI is really cool and working as intended imo. FromSoftware brilliantly implemented new mechanics above DS1 that works really nice. I love the MAxHp loss on death and the durability system. Each weapon offers a different gameplay and the game pushes to player to use new alternatives. Bonfires (resting points) really makes you feel safe and calm. It has tons of fun and creative online features.
    Overall, this game is absolutely incredible! Has tons of replayability. I hope they keep supporting it with new content.
  34. Mar 20, 2014
    The game is hard, no lie. It's not the kind of game where you enter a room full of zombies and blast them away first try. Dark Souls 2 teaches critical thinking: When to attack, which weapon is most suited, how to use your stamina efficiently.

There's plenty of roleplaying. As soon as you find a weapon or spell, you'll want to use it immediately. Go dual swords, become grim reaper like,
    whip people into submission, the choices are unlimited.

This is one of those games that in order to enjoy fully, you have to walk in blindfolded with no guide or wiki. Every secret passage discovered and enemy you kill gives self-satisfying confidence and encourages you to believe "I carve my own destiny!"
  35. Mar 20, 2014
    The care that went into making this brilliant game is evident throughout your entire journey. You will find yourself in an atmospheric, open-world game with stories to tell, secrets to reveal, and a great challenge to offer. You create your character and then gradually shape him or her to your preferred play-style throughout your adventures. You can play alone, or summon other online players temporarily for help. There is also a substantial amount of player-vs-player content to be found in many places within the world. There is oh so much to say about this game, but it is best to experience it for yourself... If you have never played a Souls game before, Dark Souls 2 is a great place to begin. If you have played Dark Souls or Demon's Souls that came before it, you already have this game. Expand
  36. Mar 11, 2014
    the legend never stop, i think souls series is the best series ever made(even more then ME series),be sure to buy it for PC, this time the consoles are the port
  37. Mar 11, 2014
    best game in the history of mankind nothing else compares,buy this game don't watch any guides,play alone,no online and experience the brilliance that is Dark Souls II.GFX,Visuals,sound,mp everything is refined and improved
  38. Mar 12, 2014
    Prettier, smoother, tougher, more complex than ever. Dark Souls 2 never holds your hand. Co-op is working great. Jaw dropping experience. I died at least 50 times the first day.
  39. Mar 12, 2014
    There still isn't a single next gen game worth playing, and with games like Dark Souls II, last gen is far from dead. Dark Souls II is just as good as it's predecessors Demon's Souls and Dark Souls, combining various gameplay aspects of each. If you haven't played a Souls game, what are you doing with your life?
  40. Mar 13, 2014
    There's really nothing more to say other than you MUST play this game, its perfection... the only reason why it didn't get a 10 from me is because of the half life depletion I don't like it even though it makes the game harder it really takes away from the exploration.
  41. Mar 19, 2014
    This is one of those games that will go down in history as a legacy and never die. It will be something you can play years from now and enjoy, not just some once and done waste of time game. With Demon's Souls and Dark Souls, Dark Souls II is one of the greatest games ever created.
  42. Mar 16, 2014
    It's good to see Dark Souls II return to it's roots and incorporate more of the atmosphere from Demon's Souls. Hands down the best in the series and the leveling system makes it so you can't just stack endurance to get the best melee build. A definite improvement, and less forgiving right at the start.
  43. Mar 19, 2014
    Absolutely stunning game which is almost a continuation of the last game.

I noticed a few people have mentioned the graphics, which do look a little worse than the previews. Possibly due to compression at the end of the development. That said if you are playing this game just for the graphics then you shouldn't bother as its all about the gameplay.
  44. Mar 19, 2014
    Its just Dark Souls II. what do I need to say?. it brings everything NEW to the table. game is awesome. MP is better than last. less lag. but still some. I can't ask for more than this. this is the first time I've pre-ordered a game. and Its worth it. Praise the Sun! this is a review by someone who played the first Dark Souls 250 hours. and both of them are the closest RPG game to perfect.
  45. Mar 17, 2014
    Get It - if you liked the previous games you'll like this one - your life will soon be over. Not just your game life but your home life too. Demons souls franchise rules my living room.
  46. Mar 13, 2014
    This game (just like the last two in the series) is either going to be loved dearly or hated passionately. Obviously, the people who lack ambition, determination, persistence, patience, and ingenuity are the ones who are most likely to hate it passionately. So, basically, most of the people who have played this game and then given it a low score are losers. While, the ones who love it dearly are winners. The game itself, really can't be faulted very much if you like RPGs. It's obviously wonderfully crafted and extremely well done. Expand
  47. Mar 19, 2014
    Dark Souls 2 is the most rewarding and challenging game I have ever played in my life. It barely ever strays from greatness and for good reason. Prepare to die.... again.
  48. Mar 17, 2014
    Visuals: 8
    First thing you will notice is that the visuals look great, and it now runs at a solid 30fps, and sometimes more in areas that don't have much going on (Caves for example). Models and animations got improved a lot, remember when you pressed random in Dark Souls and Demon Souls and your character looked like an alien? not anymore, although some faces may look a bit awkward, but
    it still looks great (I would've liked a bit more options on customization but that's just my opinion.)

Sound: 9
    Some of the sounds from Dark Souls are still present (bonfire, entering a new area, etc.) and for me its great to hear those familiar sounds back. The soundtrack is what shines in DS2, great music and each soundtrack is unique (loved the one from the Flexile Sentry and the Old Dragonslayer).

Gameplay: 8
    Having over 400 hours in DS1 and 200 on DS, the game feels completely fresh, but at the same time the formula stays the same. Combat in DS2 is now a bit slower, but more fluid and makes me want more and more! Controls stay the same, which is great, no big change there.The leveling system is now different and more balanced, want to max out endurance and carry Hovel's and roll around with infinite stamina? nope! It is now more complex than the last two games (Maiden in Black memories anyone?). The dying penalty is now painful, is a bit annoying and makes me yell at the screen every time I die, but reminds me how bad it is to die and play more carefully instead of just sprinting through the whole level. However I feel that magic is a bit more OP than in previous games, especially in PvP. Multiplayer seems a bit broken when it comes to matchmaking in PvP, but these don't kill the experience.

Lore: 9
    Again, DS does not make its storyline very obvious, is mysterious, making me think what is happening, exploring, reading item descriptions and talking to the different characters is key to understand what's going on.
  49. Mar 11, 2014
    I was apprehensive, how come Namco pull it off 3 times in a row? They did.

One or two areas look pretty poor and unimaginative, but the gameplay makes them interesting. The rest of the game looks amazing, and will look even better on PC.
  50. Mar 15, 2014
    People complain too much yes you can make the enemies respawn after you kill them to much i want spoil it but you get the item 25-30% through the game.... Graphics are fine From soft doesn't have all the cash big devs do they cant create a new graphics engine or rent one and market the game with it. Your lucky you got a dark soul sequel. The game is fine with hit box errors (no worse then the beginning of dark souls 1) Lore is good and graphics are stunning in some areas. NPCS are cool,

The bosses are tad forgettable but so were Dark souls and Demon souls.. I've beat demon souls over 9 times and do not remember 80% of the bosses.. Graphics do not make a game i can still pop the legend of zelda majoras mask in and have a really fun time.
  51. Mar 14, 2014
    If you're a fan of Demon Souls and Dark Souls you are going to love this game! Very frustrating at first but you'll learn to appreciate the difficulty and the huge environment. Best game on PS3, should have been out for PS4 too.
  52. Mar 20, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Great multiplayer, excellent challenge for the hardcore gamers, and more makes this a perfect sequel to the original. The only complaint I have with this game is a certain death penalty encountered in the game that decreases your max HP every time you die. Well this is avoidable, it is difficult to do so, and will get annoying. But it is a minor problem, and the good points of this game greatly makes up for the bad. A great game, and here's hoping for more! Expand
  53. Mar 23, 2014
    Rarely does a game deliver on its every promise. Dark Souls II does that and more. From the outstanding melee combat, to the subtle character development, going through a battery of unique and vicious environments, Dark Souls II has everything one could ask for from one of the best RPGs ever made.
  54. Mar 14, 2014
    Bought a PS3 for the 2nd or 3rd time just to play this game. Demon Souls and Dark Souls are probably my favorite games of all time and I've played games since 1989. Incredibly difficult, but extremely rewarding. Highly recommend to anyone that has half a brain.
  55. Mar 19, 2014
    The game lives up to hype of the first game and is truly a spectacular experience. It is more of a combination of its past games, Demon and Dark Souls. I have heard many reviewers say that the game is the most difficult of the souls game, but that is simply not true. As great as DkSII is, I thought it to be much easier than the other souls games.

I went with a melee build, and after the
    first 7hrs, every bosses and enemies were falling like dominoes. I expect sorcery builds to have a much easier, albeit longer, time to finish the main story. I managed to even finish the game at 40hrs and I remember DkSI taking me at least 60hrs. The game, even with HP decreasing per death penalty, is far less punishing than the other souls games since there is a bonfire in every corner, and a certain ring offsets the HP decreasing penalty.

I do like that the bosses are much more skill and precision based than in DkS1, where most of the time in the first one I either tanked the boss or the boss turned out to be gimmick based fight not relying on skill. The enemies are much more balanced and the hitboxes seems a little fixed.

I think most people find DkSII harder because A) they haven't played a souls game in a long time B) this is their first souls game.
    I strongly recommend someone new to the series to play the first one, and after completing it, DkSII feels like a vacation.
  56. crs
    Mar 20, 2014
    I am so glad I didn't sell my PS3 upon getting a PS4 as its worth owning a PS3 just to play Dark Souls 2. If you didn't like Dark Souls it wont convert you but If you liked Dark Souls you will love it. Granted its a bit more accessible than the first game with finite re-spawns but you can use this to your advantage to build up your character very easily. When in Dark Souls I found my character needed to upgrade by 25 levels this took a month but in Dark Souls 2 I was able to get to the required level in a mere day by using finite re-spawns at a certain point.

People complain about the graphics not being as good as they were shown, get over it the game-play is good and that's all that matters.

Whats the point of having a game that looks beautiful and plays like a piece of rubbish.

If you love Dark Souls buy it and Prepare to Die!!!
  57. Mar 25, 2014
    This sequel, of Dark Souls & Demon Souls is many times better than it's predecessors. Not only is it larger and more immersive, than the two previous games; it's much more user friendly. This game introduces fast travel, despawning of enemies and much more weapons. I would recommend you play this game whether you're played the previous 2 games of not, this game is a masterpiece and really should be under your radar. Expand
  58. Mar 14, 2014
    o Jogo ta muito bom e não tenho nada mais a falar , e tipo ele ta muito massa e cara lindo jogo muito bom parada anormal que e esse jogo ta ligado que esse jogo nossa e bolado de +
  59. Mar 18, 2014
    The most balanced game yet, a blend of both demon and dark souls yet feels ever more refreshed. Levels show enough diversity and graphics are updated. Combat is fair and punishing at the same time, always leaving you the option to go elsewhere in case of the challenge proves too much, bosses are easier yet some feel re-skinned. No soul glitch in which level 700's invade you making it all about fairness. Expand
  60. Mar 14, 2014
    aside from it being last gen, its game play and enemy ai is fantastic, i find the game awesome beyond my expectation , keep up the good work from, and as a suggestion you should remake the king field games with the dark souls engine that would be epic!!!
  61. Mar 17, 2014
    First just want to say I gave the game a 9 out of 10 for the simple fact nothing should get a ten. Always something you can find wrong. This game i would say its the graphics are the only thing wrong with is game. The fighting system is not really better then the first Dark Souls but it is different in a way that makes if challenging for season vets to the game, but not to difficult for new comers. The game still has its hardcore stat management that I personalty love. The huge open world of the game also is fun to explore. You never know what or who you might find on the other side of a waterfall or cliff. Plus NBG added a fast travel right at the beginning of the game. The death counter in the early parts of this game was a great touch.This is quickly become my favorite game franchise to-date. I encourage you to attempted this game if you like great action rpg. You will not be disappointed, just don't give up and remember count on death. Expand
  62. Mar 23, 2014
    This game is simply amazing, it is probably the best game I have played so far in 2014! I had so much fun playing it I even forgot from time to time I was even playing. You get so emerged into this world of epic monsters and big challenging bosses. If you liked the first Dark souls and demon souls you will definitely love this game. That being said if you did not enjoy the previous soul games you will not like this one either as the game-play is almost the same and the bosses can seem pretty similar and the difficulty level is definitely there. I really hope most of you guys out there pick this up, would be a shame to miss out on this game. Expand
  63. Apr 6, 2014
    This epic sequel offers more content than ever before, and the unique multilayer mechanics are truly working for the first time in the series.

Pros: Melee is balanced with hundreds of viable weapon choices, simplified upgrading and crisp mechanics. Magic has 4 different paths with more options than ever before. Endless hours of fun PvP. Awesome enemy/boss design. Easiest Co-Op in the
    series. Great incentives for assisting other players. Many options for making the game harder if you find it too easy. Built from the ground up for re-playability with new traps, gear and enemies exclusively to NG+.

Cons: The graphics were downgraded (but are still beautiful - for old consoles), hard skill caps mean you'll be wasting your points if you don't know what you're doing. Some lag in PvP. Voice acting is hit or miss. The music took a turn from the first two which effects the "souls" feel. Nearly absent rumble controls. The "soul memory" system frustrates many friends trying to co-op.

- Lore is even more hidden than DS1, but there DEFINITELY IS a lot there, and there will be deep lore conversations to come.

- Nearly all of the information online and even in guides is false, misleading or inaccurate. You truly know nothing about anything until you do it yourself. If you hear an item or build is overpowered, broken or useless - your personal findings are likely to be much different and more complex than what you had read. Therese just too much going on, too many variables. Even gameplay videos are misleading.

- While the complexity may turn some casual gamers away, complexity leads to longevity for those who can't get enough of this game.

After two 100-hour play-throughs, I'm trying very hard not to play my third character in anticipation for the PC release.
  64. Mar 23, 2014
    i'm really impressed. have played the series from demons souls onward, basically bought a PS3 to mainly play demons souls. the idea of the game reminded me of some mechanics of early MMO pvp/pk like in ultima online, if you kill someone or die to a player or whatever you can suffer. i really like that challenge.

the game is pretty much near perfect for what the ps3 is capable of. i'm
    primarily a pc gamer but couldn't wait the extra month to get it on that platform. plus i almost think it will have more hackers due to the HUGE russian community that will buy it super cheap.

i've spent about 70 hours playing so far, two different characters. the game has a LOT of content, and more is added in new game+. the pvp and co op seems to work so much better than before. really impressed!
  65. Mar 22, 2014
    takes everything good from the past two games, polishes & expands them, & presents them perfectly with rich visuals, sounds & series best atmosphere.
    The world seems more sorted now, connected yet different, open & larger, & bonfire quick-travel ties it brilliantly.
    The types of enemies has increased, so has weapons-items & number of NPCs. Bosses are still unique & intimidating. From
    Software have maintained quality while increasing quantity!
    Apart from dual-wielding & sorcery getting boosts, combat's unchanged. Equally difficult, yet rewarding. Now smoother & somewhat accessible.
  66. Apr 30, 2014
    While most games tend to hold your hand throughout the game, this game release its grip and leaves you to journey out the beautifully designed world. Most games wouldn't do it as it seems a risk, but this game delivers a once in a lifetime experience or true hardcore gaming.
  67. Mar 21, 2014
    This is the first Dark Souls game I've played in this series and I'm now convinced I need to go buy the first one. I was a bit weary of paying $65.00 for a game I new nothing about so I did a lot of research and what I found was nothing like I had ever seen before. I found that tons of reviews of the previous versions is that they were extremely difficult, challenging and rewarding. I also found that this game isn't for everyone and it's mostly for hardcore gamers. I had to take this challenge and I'm so glad I did. I don't think I've ever had a game that challenges you on the level like Dark Souls 2 does on a consistent basis. From the very beginning, you are tested in your ability to properly block, evade, or roll while finding the right time to attack your opponents. There are countless situations where you need to stop and plan ahead of how you will proceed. You may have to pull one enemy with an arrow while jumping down to evade another and kill two demons below you all at the same time. You also must fight bosses that are extremely tough and it may take quite a few deaths to learn their patterns and figure out how to beat them.

For all of the challenges you will face, this game is also incredibly rewarding! There are tons of gear, armor, and weapons for loot and upgrade. Do you risk a death to obtain an amazing ring? Or do you wait until your stronger and come back later? The beautiful thing is that it's all up to you! You have full customization options of your character and can choose from many different classes and play styles. I'm maybe halfway through and have found around 60 different weapons including: spears, swords, hammers, and bows/crossbows and around 10 different armor sets.

As you make your way through certain areas, the fact that every single creature can literally kill you, this game has a way of instilling fear into you and I find that amazing! I find myself entering new areas with a certain hesitation and with my shield raised in case of an ambush, all the while my hands are literally trembling.

I highly recommend Dark Souls 2 to any player who loves RPGs but wants to take it to the next level! You will experience fear, anger, excitement, despair, and then you will be rewarded, or die.
  68. Mar 14, 2014
    I really like this game but i feel like it could've been better if the old director had stayed. still worth playing though especially if you liked the first like me
  69. Mar 14, 2014
    Great sequel. I had concerns at FromSoft's ability to produce a good sequel after how much praise Dark Souls got. Thankfully, they've delivered a hugely enjoyable game just like the first. They have combined mechanics from both Dark Souls and Demon's Souls to create a new experience which is still true to the series. Dark souls notoriously annoying multiplayer issues have vanished. The single player is as vague and puzzling as you would expect and there is tonnes of lore hidden in NPC dialogues and whatnot. FromSoft have created another stunning game world with beautiful background music. The level design is above anything else I have seen.
    My only criticism is that the textures are fairly low-res. If this game had been released on the PS4 with higher res textures then it would been a 10/10 rating from me.
  70. Mar 24, 2014
    Dark souls 2 is a great game worth buying and playing. The gameplay feels much like the dark souls with some minor adjustments. Nothing to complain about in terms of gameplay and because the game is very fun to play. This game runs smoother than previous ones and you wont have frame rate issues like dark souls 1 ( blight town). The graphics feels sligthly better than the previous games but its not that much of a diffrence. I dont know why people are complaining about graphic downgradges because graphics are not that important in this types of games, sure it nice with awsome lighting and so on but in this types of games , grahics dont matter so much. The game is what you expect it to be for a Soul game so every fan of the previous game should get this. I dont know if it was me who were prepared for this game than previous ones but I felt it was easier to complete this one. It could be that i was more experienced with the game mechanics and so on but I fel this one was easier.
    Even if this game has improved a lot from previous entries in the series , I felt it lost some things on the way. There a lot of bosses in this game and I mean a lot!, but few of them is as impresseive as dark souls 1 bosses. A lot of them had similiar behaviours and attacks and were easy to predict. There were some cool ones but overall I felt dissapointed with some bosses and I left wanting more. Another issue I had with this game was the world. Dark souls 1 was so beautiful made, everything part of the world was connected with each other and you always found new places, secrets and so on even after 100hours.This game world was huge but it did not have the same mystery as the world in dark souls 1.I think the fast travel system made the game easier and made the world feeling apart, the diffrent places were not connected to each other like ds1.
    After all the game is really good, I only had issue with bosses and the world, this was my opinion and I bet there are other who thinks diffent, overallt this game is worthy of the soul series and I cant wait to dive back into world again even If i have played for 100+hours
  71. Mar 22, 2014
    As a veteran Demon's/Dark Souls player, I have to say that this sequel did not disappoint. despite the change of the game director. The game feels like a perfect mixture of both Demon's and Dark Souls 1, with many improvements and interesting new features. The summoning and invading system has been greatly improved from previous games, now it is a lot easier to do both without running into errors. The boss fights still feel as epic as ever, in both challenge and atmosphere, and the overall atmosphere is surely that of the Soul's series. I would normally have rated this game a 9 or 9.5 but since I love the Soul's series at a whole I have to give it a 10. Expand
  72. Mar 23, 2014
    Such an improvement over the first IMO. The combat is so much smoother then before, you are always very much in control of your character. Everything feels miles better, I can actually get into PVP now, and there is just such a great feeling playing this game that wasn't quite there with the original. Its hard enough to make you think, but never makes you break your controller... mostly...

All and all, such a great sequel. Only reason its getting a 9 instead of a ten is because of how the targeting controls have gotten me killed a lot, but that's my only gripe.
  73. Mar 31, 2014
    Well the graphics may not have survived but the gameplay and design is still as brutal and fulfilling as it has ever been!!! A few tweaks have been made to the original DS formula to make things less frustrating for players but don't think that means this game is any easier than it's predecessor or spiritual Grandfather. Smoother frame rate, tighter controls, and a more thoughtfully planned out environment all help this game run circles around DS 1. But if you liked the first game then you know all this stuff already by now I am sure.

For anyone who is keeps **** about the graphics, get out because your **** is tired. PC owners might have a stake in this fight, but anyone who thought the game originally shown could have run on a 7 year old console that barely ran Blight Town is an outright imbecile. What, you never witnessed a company rely on a target render video for promotion? Are you people new or what? Target videos have annoyed us since 3D graphics were brought to the gaming table. Get over yourselves.

Lastly, this is not a co-op game. You will not be running around killing everything in sight with your friends. You will not be saving your besty at the last minute in some hail mary during a mid game boss fight. You won't be trading gear and swapping hair accessories around the bonfire as you and your BFF giggle about how easy Old Knights are. This game is about one persons painful and long quest to beat a bunch of enormous creatures in the face with blunt or pointy objects. If you want to go kill a bunch of stuff with your buddies, go play Borderlands. If you want everything explained to you every step of the way and have your hand held, go play Fable. If you wanted a massive convoluted story to frame your gameplay, go pick up Final Fantasy part, whatever. If you are a gamer that wants to test the limits of their skill and endurance, play Dark Souls.

To the Negs. The graphics down grade didn't effect the gameplay so obviously if you are concerned with the look of a game over the fun then you shouldn't be playing video games. They make Michael Bay films for you people to drool over. And to the people complaining about the vagueness, difficulty, and lack of co-op in the game; did you even play part 1 or do any research whatsoever into the game. Because all those things you are **** about are the same strengths that series fans cant get enough of. So no, the game didn't waste your 60 bucks. You did it to yourself for jumping on a band wagon before knowing what it was all about. Go find a RedBox next time you aren't completely certain that you must play a game and keep your sour grapes to yourselves.
  74. Apr 5, 2014
    I just want to say this is the best money I've spent in a very long time for a great game. I am an obsessed gamer and could probably open a shop with all the games i have. The mood of darks souls 2 just brought me into the goth/medievil heaven i loved when i played demons souls.The graphics are timeless and amazing. The gameplay is fluid and extremely realistic and i have to admit that demons souls was more difficult and this felt a little less difficult but at the same time it lets you learn your flaws to do it over with a better idea of what to do. The only thing i would like a little more is definitely more cinematics because it feels like playing for a very long time without a progression of a storyline. An extended cinematic experience would have made you feel like even moving towards a greater goal. I am crazy about stories so for me this was the only flaw the game had. That is my only reason for going it a 9 and if you don't like this game it probably means your just not as good as us hardcore gamers!LOL.I really hope they make a dark souls 3 for PS4 because that will be one of the greatest moments in gaming history. Expand
  75. May 14, 2014
    The TRUE GAMERS GAME. Not for gamers that are NOT true gamers. I love the idea that if you want to find out who is a true gamer and who is not amongst your friends and co workers, this is the game to seperate the fake from the real, the boys from the girls. Fight or flight,
  76. Apr 14, 2014
    I'm a great fan of the series since demon's souls, and with over 400 hours playing between demons souls and dark souls I can say this game is worth every single single cent, the environment is so atmospheric, deep and dark that will swallow you down after few hours, i just can't stop playing it, definitely the best RPG and hard core game of the last generation!
  77. May 30, 2014
    From had some pretty high expectations to live up to with this title and they delivered. I'm a big fan of the series and this game is a very worthwhile addition. I was a little worried they would dumb the game down too much but this very much preserves the spirit of the previous titles. For me these games are all about perserverance and discovery. I never play with a walkthough the first time through and I always miss some major things, but it just makes the next playthrough that much more enjoyable.

And there is a lot to play here. The game is massive and easily took me over 100 hours to complete. I think the amount of content here more than makes up for any lack of connectivity between locations. That was one of the major strenghts of Dark Souls but I think From just went in a different direction here and stressed additional content over an interconnected level design. I think the game looks fantastic so I was surprised to see so many complaining about the graphics.

Most of the changes that From made for DaS 2 are a welcome addition. Dual Wielding was really nice touch and improves what was far and away the best action combat system in the RPG genre (although I wish they had put that in the tutorial because I was well over halfway though my playthrough before I even noticed you could attack with both weapons simulateously). Some of the bosses are a little lackluster (probably because there are more of them) but this game for sure has it's share of memorable and terrifying monsters - in fact that is one of the more noticable improvements over dark. souls where I felt they just recycled a bunch of bosses from Demons Souls. I've always been more of a PVE player but the multiplayer is a lot more fun for me now. The nerfed the backstab which was really infuriating in Dark Souls and I get invaded far less often in Dark Souls2. There are plenty of opportunities for PvP and it is more now covenant driven which is a direction I agree with completely. The voice acting and music are once again top notch.

There are a few changes which I didn't care for. The major one was the ease with which you can warp between bonfires. I can see some need for it because the world is really large and there are less connection points, but they easily could have limited this in some way. I think you lose a little bit of the immersion when you can just warp anywhere you want at any time. The lore and mystery is a bit lacking compared to the prior games but let's face it - this series is pretty heavy on obsurity and story has never been a huge component of the game as it is more about piecing things together on your own. That element still remains but has been toned down.

Demons Souls is still my personal favorite in the series but Darks Souls 2 is a very close second. I hope they add on a DLC pack at some point because I will probably still be playing this by the time it comes around.
  78. Apr 7, 2014
    If you even remotely liked either Demon Souls of Dark Souls, then this is a definite purchase. There is so much here to be had for $60. After "The Last of Us," I wasn't sure there would be another game worthy of a "10" rating... at least not on the PS3 or last gen consoles. This game is so incredibly difficult, but so satisfying when you triumph over an enemy that you attempted to kill 30 times before it. This is a true RPG. The great thing about this series, is that you can go back and play and replay the first Dark Souls and Demon Souls and still have that feeling of accomplishment. If you are an impatient gamer, then this game will temper you. Other game's difficulties are laughable at this point. This is the only RPG that truly makes you think about when and how to upgrade certain character statistics. Prepare to die... MORE. You have to love this game! Expand
  79. Apr 14, 2014
    Dark Souls 2 is just like Dark Souls except bigger. Certain aspects like covenants and humanity have been simplified to make them easier to understand and the game is generally more user friendly in it's design choices yet it still retains it's brutal difficulty and air of mystique.

The graphics are slightly compromised on ageing hardware but thankfully From Software made the right
    decision to sacrifice detail for frame rate to ensure the game handles smoothly even if the lighting isn't perfect, boo hoo (sarcasm).

Dark Souls 2 is not a perfect game, I could write a list as long as my arm about it's flaws (which are many but most relatively minor). Hell, it's not even a fair game. But that's sort of the point. It's the challenge and satisfaction of overcoming seemingly impossible odds to win. Even the cheapest of victories will have you punching the air in celebration.

What it is though is an epic adventure which took me 80 hours to complete and I still don't feel as if I've scratched the surface. It's the best action RPG I've ever played. And although it may never win 200 game of the year awards it just might be the best game ever (so far).
  80. Apr 5, 2014
    When Demon's Souls first-arrived in 2009 (I first played it in 2010, when it finally arrived in the UK), at long last a prayer of many a true gamesplayer had been answered: a game that was hard, yes, possibly even really tough at times - but it was rewarding, the difficulty added to the tension, you were never 'sold-out' with cheap moments or annoying difficulty spikes, and every moment the game gave you was truly well-considered.

Come the 'sequel' of sorts in 2011, Dark Souls, the game changed-up a great deal (goodbye world and character tendencies, hello open-world and covenants), and also introduced a new level of unpredictability to its core. It changed the formula for sure, shook-up Demon's Souls veterans like myself, but did it the right way.

I played the beta of Dark Souls 2 last year, and experienced many of the changes that FROM software were implementing, but I never knew how much was being changed, until I first started playing the actual game.

But I'm getting ahead of myself, first I wish to cover the presentation: the graphics engine has been overhauled completely, and it shows!! The levels, and characters throughout are much crisper, and whilst there are issues (the PS3 version can have slight framerate issues, and there are some rough textures here and there) the whole update compliments the varied locales, which whilst range from the fantastic to the largely dour and depressing, are beautifully lit and made to elicit the right kind of tension, not due to design error.

The sound is wonderful!! Sound effects that you character, and the creatures of the areas you visit, are very slightly exaggerated, and whilst initially it can 'jar' the senses (it did for me) it again adds to the tension - at points in the game encounters can almost be pre-empted (perhaps assumed) just by the sound you would not expect. The music ranges from the thunderous (the boss encounters, as you'd expect) through to some utterly beautiful, and somewhat sad, pieces. If you can pick up one of the versions with the soundtrack as an extra, DO - trust me, you'll thank me for this piece of advice.

As for the gameplay, FROM software have played the controversial card by adding some major gameplay twists: some of these come courtesy of Demon's Souls (and are hugely welcome by this player!!), and some come by themselves (no doubt influenced by the beta, and the fact that there will be a lot of newcomers to this series on this entry), but the gameplay twists, whilst small, do affect the game hugely in scope. These design choices all boil down to the fact that FROM software want you to take chances, want you to have fun, and not be bogged-down in endless hours of grinding, and they want you to find your own way to play the game. In a way, more than ever, being levelled-up and tooled to the infinite degree is no surefire guarantee that you'll sail through the game - no way!! Online has always been a mainstay of this series, and I think that once you've tried it, and been locked into a boss battle with others, that you won't play any other way!!

One more point I must stress, to those that ask "has the game become easier?" I have to say a firm NO. Its been made accessible to newcomers, I have to agree, in many ways, but it still will challenge even the veterans.

Dark Souls 2 is seriously superb. Its addictive, exhilerating, frustrating, compulsive and massively rewarding, and given that its possibly the last outing of this series on the PS3 or XBOX 360, you should play it. Its quirkier that Dark Souls, almost as great as Demon's Souls, and this early into 2014, I wouldn't be surprized if its one of the best games of the year come December.

Utterly unmissable
  81. May 29, 2014
    You probably already know how notorious this franchise is for being hard. True, Dark Souls is not very enjoyable to ppl who can only handle cakewalk or even moderate difficulty. Bosses will most likely kill you in 1 to 3 hits depending on how tanky you are (and no that doesnt mean they only hit once each attack. take a full combo and you are dead), and lesser foes are also able to take off significant proportions of your health with their attacks. If you cannot utilize invincibility frames that comes with your dodge, Dark Souls 2 will most likely be punishing to you. But it is for the same reason that Dark Souls 2 gives so much sense of accomplishment when you do overcome the difficulty.
    Dark Souls 2 introduces a comprehensive customization system. Not only can you equip each piece of armor and weapon (left and right hand) separately, but there is actually a reason for ppl to try different setup rather than taking the biggest swords: heavy equipments make you slow moving and your stamina regen slower, and vice versa. There is a whopping amount of weapon types in the game, all of which are versatile depending on what play style you use. Dark Souls 2 also introduces the ability to respec skill points, which makes it possible to try out every weapon and play style.
    Dark Souls 2 is made to last. A single playthrough will easily take 100 to 150 hours depending how good you are at the game and how much farming you do, and because the gameplay is solid and can vary greatly with the use of different setups, there is actually reason to replay the campaign again in NG+ and I do recommend you do so should you go that far.
    Online play is integrated into the game, as you can find soapstones in the world other players have put down that you can interact with to summon them to fight with or against you.
    The world of Dark Souls 2 is frankly... quite dark and sufficiently interesting. The kingdom of Drangleic loses all its glory and tranquility as the undead curse falls upon this land. Map designs are pretty good, and the world feels alive.
    A few things Dark Souls 2 doesnt do so well in are its plot (it doesnt have much) and the mediocre character models and graphics. Other than that Dark Souls 2 is an absolutely amazing game every hardcore gamer must play.
  82. Jun 25, 2014
    Takes a little of each from the first 2 entries (yes, 2) and puts them together to form another gem. It's essentially just more of the same with more **** to do. It is certainly more accessible, but not from a difficulty standpoint. Weapon crafting, side quests, bonfire hopping are all made "easier" to accommodate all the **** that didn't buy the first ones because they only got a 8.9 on Metacritic instead of a 9.1. Now go back and start at Demon's Souls if this is your first stop into the trilogy. Expand
  83. Apr 30, 2014
    Dark Souls 2 is everything I could ever ask for in a video game. There's always something new to discover, even long after the final boss is defeated, and the PvP is deep and rewarding. But what really grabs me is the absolute freedom, lore and very kingdom of Drangleic. It's so rich with depth, beauty and darkness that your journey through each massive zone will be quiet, harrowing, rewarding and ultimately blissful as you leave your mark and become a part of the world yourself. Expand
  84. Apr 15, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. [Condensed]

All in all, truth be told it is the atmosphere and not specifically the difficulty and challenge that makes the title a blast to play- although I am sure those other factors rank highly up there as well. I thoroughly enjoyed the greater sense of freedom I was given in my approaches to combat and exploration, as well as the rare helping hands reaching out to help as well. We are only a third of the way through this year's impressive games list, and yet I already feel as if Dark Souls II will maintain its large impact all the way through despite the stiff competition it will surely be facing. One thing is for certain: I'll still be playing it come next March. After all, I'm still playing the original!

Concept: Explore a new yet familiar and similar setting- akin to the story and exploration of the first Dark Souls title, and embark upon a quest to rid the world of its misery and to gain power through it as you progress. Engage in challenging combat and experience an intriguing and engrossing story- experienced, not told.

Graphics: Impressively detailed and varied, both in environments and character models.

Sound: Between the epic scores for momentous occasions and stealthy segments to the general ambiance, the sound work is quite impressive and even the little creaks and tremors were impressively detailed in there fullness.

Playability: The challenges will be difficult, yet it isn't anything that can't be overcome through patience and a general grasping of the firm handling of the controls set before you. After you establish a solid foundation, you'll progress slowly but surely regardless of overall skill. But that doesn't make it any easier on you or your character, be warned.

Entertainment: This is not only a highly anticipated sequel but an amazing stand-alone title and it must be played to be enjoyed. Challenging yet fair, firm yet helpful at times. An impressively detailed and epic adventure in an expansive and deadly world.

Replay Value: Very High.

Overall Score: 9.5
  85. Apr 15, 2014
    Excellent!! Dark Souls 2 improved than Dark Souls 1 actually
    and smooth Frame was Good than Dark Souls 1
    im Love so much FromSoftware
    i found lost memory that playing ghost n goblins
  86. May 4, 2014
    Awesome game ,not great pc port . You will die and learn ,this games makes winning or passing a difficult place an amazing feeling that everybody should feel. If you get angry at call of duty or anything at all this is not a game for you (Btw call of duty sucks)
  87. Jun 18, 2014
    Honestly, the game is not a good as the previous one, but it's still a fantastic game in its own right! Dark Souls 2 could have been something just as if not more special than Dark Souls 1 was, but I believe that due to the limited hardware they were working on, FROM SOFTWARE had to cut corners wherever possible which leads to some seemingly sloppy level design. The all too frequent bonfires that can be warped to at any time make the game far too easy, and soul memory based match making plagues the online... It feels like the game has too many half baked, or poorly executed, design problems. Expand
  88. Apr 21, 2014
    Amazing, amazing game. I'm in love with Demon Souls, Dark Souls,and now Dark Souls 2. What I find is that although I liked the level design of Dark Souls 1 more, I actually love the soul of dark souls 2. It's difficult to explain - but its as if Dark Souls and Demon Souls had a baby and named it Dark Souls 2. If you played them all you'll understand where I'm coming from. I beat the game in around 70 hours (I don't summon help, and not the best), and I"m already starting again to see what I missed in the first run.

Some complain of the controls. I think they expected to parry and defend themselves like they did in Dark Souls 1. But enemies are new, and have different movements. I had problems at first too - but learned their movements and can parry easily now.

Some are complaining of the graphics. There are bland moments of darkness, but then your eyes are treated to beautiful scenery. You can't have the sweet without the sour.

Anyways - I have about 100 hours logged in and I can easily see playing 100 hours more.
  89. May 11, 2014
    If you suck at video games, this will make you better at them. I'm not saying this from experience, but I became a more hardcore gamer after playing this game for 11 hours. But if you chuck controllers at T.V screens a lot, you shouldn't get it.
  90. Apr 3, 2014
    Dark Souls 2 is an amazing sequel and a great fantasy journey through the murky, forgotten land of Drangleic. It might be the weakest chapter of the Souls series, but still better than anything RPG genre has to offer these days and still perfectly capable of consuming hundreds of your gaming hours.

Level design... that reached the levels of pure genius in previous Souls games has been
    slightly reduced and it tries to compensate with quantity. In result, there is a huge chunk of content here, almost twice the size of previous titles, but while there are still some really nice locations (Brightstone, Heide, Dragon Shrine...) it just doesn't feel as impressive as cleverly interconnected world of DS1, where you were just blown away by the locations and felt that every little corner is there for a reason.

Atmosphere... has been watered down a bit. Partly because of the level design, it's not as dark and terrifying as before, but also because of some wrong game design choices. Warping between bonfires right from the start just ruins the sense of traveling and it reduces the sense of danger. Remembering the times of original DS where I was stuck in The Depths, cursed with halved HP and with no way to get out of there, that feeling of horror and hopelessness is just gone, because Bonfires are now everywhere and you can easily heal and teleport to safety anytime.

Bosses & enemies... suffer the same fate of Quantity > Quality as the locations. There are many of them, and some are quite cool (The Chariot, Ancient Dragon..), but those impressive epic battles of DS1 like Sif or Ornstein & Smough that would challenge me even for the whole day are just not here anymore. 3 honorable exceptions kind enough for actually kicking my ass and killing me a few times are Ruin Sentinels, Darklurker and Ancient Dragon. Thank you guys.

Difficulty... surrounds every souls game notorious for their hardcore style. While still challenging, the challenge here is mostly optional, either by using Bonfire Ascetics or by joining a Covenant of Champions, that both strengthen the enemies. DS2 is definitely the most accessible for newcomers, nothing wrong with that, but all those review lines like "Harder and more difficult than ever" are just a total joke. The problem is that after a few kills enemies just stop respawning, so you can easily kill out everyone in the area and have a free cakewalk to boss, something you could never do in previous titles. Option to load yourself with neverending supply of lifegems also hurt a lot.

Combat system... is still as intact as ever, but this has been mostly copied from the original, only with even more weapons and cool looking armor sets. Magic has always been more in a support role in Souls, it works great as a support in the form of miracles for clerics, or for the occasional fire apocalypse via pyromancy, but playing Souls games as a pure caster has always been a snoozefest.

Graphics... are looking good. Coming from the hi-res PC version of Dark Souls 1, it's true the textures here are definitely low-res, smudged and simple in places, but at least the frame rate is constantly good and that's far more important. These consoles are 7 years old hardware, so it's understandable they had to sacrifice something. Definitely looking forward to the hi-res PC release.

Music... is imo the least impressive from the trilogy and the biggest disappointment for me. Few nice tunes (Chariot, Credits), but mostly forgettable and with no real mood to set for those bosses. Music is going downhill in Souls series, amazing in DeS, really good in DS1 and it is just ok in DS2.

Story & Characters... The lore and not so in your face story telling these games are known for is still here and it's amazing to put all the pieces together. Especially if you know the background story and lore of the original Dark Souls, so you can get all the references and historical connections. DS2 didn't disappoint, lots of different themes, throwbacks, brand new bunch of strange and interesting characters.. fully satisfied here.

Covenant system and PVP... is one of the few improvements over the original. It's recommended to really try out all Covenants (you can switch between them without any problems or penalties). Those who prefer Souls games primarily for the multiplayer will be very happy. Specifically Bell Keepers and Rat King covenants has been the source of fun for countless hours.

New Game+... is another significant upgrade along with the Bonfire Ascetic system, after playing through this game once, NG+ not only strengthens the enemies, but it adds brand new ones, changes things a bit, adds new spells/items and so on. This is a pleasant change and it improves the overall replayability a bit.

In the end, DS2 has many problems (some could be easily avoided), but FromSoftware had a hard job of following up to one of the best games of all time and they created an amazing piece of work that is well worth the full score of - 10/10
  91. Apr 13, 2014
    One of the best games of the generation hands down. Thank godness we have games like this, and not only all the Call of duty copy/paste miriad of games. I hope people discover the game thoroughly and so From Software can keep on developing games like this for the new generation.
  92. Jun 17, 2014
    A great successor to Dark souls 1, Dark souls 2 improved upon an already great game. its still as tough as ever(in a good way) and the story had a bit more narrative but still had a piece it together approach to it. the visuals are stunning as always and the combat which is the heart and soul of the game is refined slightly making it even better. i love the new system they put in place with the estus flasks and the inventory IMO a better design finding shards and bone dust to build up your flask uses. the amount of content in this game is incredible ive out over 90 Hrs into this game and am still playing it. their is a lot to do and the NG+ is definitely worth a run through. the only thing i thought was better in DS 1 was the bosses had more scale to them and fights with them felt a little more grander then they did in this game and also there's not as much map continuity in DS2. in 1 it felt abit more connected with all the short cuts and different ways to enter an area. overall Dark souls 2 is a great sequel to DS 1....prepare to die again! Expand
  93. Apr 22, 2014
    There's no real way to describe this game. Sure, I could tell you that it's amazingly rewarding and deserves every single award it gets. I could tell you to give this game a chance because it's an amazing in-depth rpg that doesn't lose sight of what it's goals are. But truth is, Dark Souls 2 isn't like other RPGs, in fact, calling that is an injustice. Dark souls 2 finds a perfect line between "barely scratching the surface," and "way too in-depth, maybe I should give up." It has a structured learning curve, and honestly, anyone could pick it up and understand exactly what is happening. It keeps everything simple, it has fantasy elements, there's no doubt, but it doesn't take it over the top creating it's own languages and having back stories and characters that need introductions and full books. Instead, the character don't really matter. You are the character, and your story is waiting. Go ahead, stumble, but learn from your mistakes and appreciate this game like I do. Expand
  94. Apr 28, 2014
    This game is difficult, hell, maybe even too difficult-IF you don't enjoy a decent challenge. If you have the brain the size of a pea and the courage of a lemming, quit while your ahead. This game will break your balls like your mother broke those eggs over the bowl when she made you eggs in the morning. You will die countless, countless, countless times and you will be filled with a blood boiling rage that will spill out into your social life. You will lash out at your friends and family due your anger at the game, which can alienate you from life itself from the beginning! If your going to play this game, then I suggest becoming so sick that no one will want to be near you for at-least a week in a half(which is how long it took me to beat the game purposefully trying to speed through it) When you have achieved that, then prepare yourself for an incredibly rocky ride filled with loss, anger, depression, feelings of a overwhelming need to sob and a need to crawl up into a ball in the corner. However, be prepared for the INCREDIBLY OVERWHELMING sense of accomplishment and pride for when you conquer that boss fight, or that corridor your trapped in, ect. If you are willing to undertake this challenge, then this game is for you. If not, then avoid the game like the plague. Expand
  95. Mar 28, 2014
    Dark souls 2 is a great game in a lot of ways. Firstly here is nothing more tense then running back to your body to reclaim all your souls knowing one false move and that's it, you will have no souls and no means of upgrading your equipment or levelling up, every corner you turn in dark souls 2 you are faced with a fairly big chance of dying. Secondly, the sheer amount of lore the game has is immense but unfortunately they don't incorporate it very well to some new to the series or have not read back ground information before hand, but every single item, enemy and area has a lot of lore and they also leave a lot of doors open to speculate what it actually means. The sense of exploration is also great, and combat is much improved. Pvp seems a bigger focus which I'm not all that happy about but it's tolerable. Unfortunately I find it almost impossible to play his game without using a guide in terms of where to go, there's so many different routes and paths to take, for someone like me that likes having a set goal it can be frustrating, but other players would enjoy hat aspect so I suppose that point is open to debate. The game seems easier to start with however, you can up the difficulty by joining a certain covenant so those that feel the game is too easy look no further, I have also heared beating the game with no deaths earns you a nice reward so that's something to aim towards too. Npc's have a lot of backstorys aswell although the game is quite vague as to how to progress heir story lines, just speak to them till they start repeating themselves, and regularly spend souls at he merchants, and don't kill anyone who doesent attack you before looking online as it could potentially 'ruin' your playthrough. In he end, I think this game is a must buy whether your into difficult games with a great sense of reward, people who love exploring or people that just love fantasy games, dark souls 2 is almost as good as the developers could accomplish, I really hope this isn't the last souls game as I think the series still has so much to give, also, if you take my advice on using a walk through, watch epicnamebro, he is by far the best souls commentator on YouTube and his walk through is great, and he also worked on the official guide on the lore side of things so he will talk you through all the lore in the game as he plays. Expand
  96. Mar 31, 2014
    The horror,the depth,the secrets,the bosses,the darkness,dragons,skeletons,loot,''you died','you died'' -again,and again,again...The joy and rewards when you move forward,the even bigger diff then dark souls 1,the pve,the pvp,the co-op,The story on items,walls,in the air.The world that is so dark has the most beautifull soul that i've seen in my life.This game is for us with souls to give,not for casuals,but that's true love for the players,other companies have a lot to learn from 'from' .Dark souls has great pricelles soul,thank you 'from',you are Leonardo da Vinci of our time. Expand
  97. Apr 1, 2014
    this... game.. is... FREGGIN AWESOME!! this game feels both like demon souls and dark souls. even though the game still holds its name in the difficulty department, its much easier to get in to if you happen to be new to the souls series. im terrible at writing reviews so please disregard the poor quality, however i know when i come across a good game and boy, is this one of the best games ever. it has more content than dark souls, more to do and such. its deeper and just pretty much perfect around. now lets see the pc version Expand
  98. Apr 2, 2014
    This game easily deserves a 10 for it's sensational gameplay, but giving a 10 would just be unrealistic for anyone to come to the expecting. It has it's flaws in it's graphics and lighting but honestly, being a PC gamer, I'm amazed this game is on ps3 and running smoothly. I see people complaining about FPS but I have had very few hiccups during my multiple playthroughs.

I'd recommend
    this game to anyone that enjoys a challenge. It's a lot less punishing in the way you are allowed a limited amount of soul vessels(assuming you don't use bonfire ascetic loopholes) to reallocate your the points you've put into skills, which in my opinion is a fantastic addition for veteran players and especially new players. People that accidentally choose dexterity at the start of the game will be able to reallocate to more useful skills such as faith or intelligence, as using melee only will equate to an even greater challenge.

All up, this game is astonishing and a great sequel to a great game. The world is more vast than ever and shares much familiarity with Dark Souls, which I love. It's different, but it's changed for the better. I have no idea which one I love more, they're both fantastic games and I'll be hanging out to buy Dark Souls 2 on PC as well. Buy this game. Don't give up, even if you think you're stuck- you're not. One thing that you'll learn during Dark Souls is that there's always a way.
  99. Apr 6, 2014
    If Dark Souls 2 seems easier. Its because you have gotten really good at Dark Souls 1. You understand how to win and you understand that death is part of the experience that makes victory all the more sweeter. The inclusion of soul vessels makes playing with builds on your first play through a deeper experience. And as you start new games or continue with new game plus you know how to build your character according to your play style. In this regard the game can become easier because you become more powerful both through stats and your understanding of enemy patterns, However there are ways to keep the difficulty up. Bonfire aesthetics when used make the enemies in the area more difficult by turning it into essentially a new game plus and it stacks. I for example made a certain area new game plus lv 4 on my first play through. There is also a covenant that makes the entire game harder by increasing enemy HP and attack strength the covenant also removes summoning signs so you will have to kill bosses solo :). The rewards are awesome for this covenant .

If you loved Dark Souls 1 there is no reason why Dark Souls would be a disappointment. It is essentially the same game but with more content and new play style approaches. The difficulty is player controlled once you master its initial difficulty.

For new comers this game will be tough but not as seemingly impossible as the first.This is due to the fast bonfire traveling and the co-op covenants which make dealing with bosses, player invasions and clearing tough areas easier. The story is pieced together via npc scripts and the lore found on items. the world and items tells you the story, it inst presented to you directly. So if you approach this as a hack and slash action rpg that feeds you story line through a friendly and animated world you wont enjoy the experience. Because there is a overwhelming sense of despair leading on to nihilism that blankets the game from start to finish. Getting through it and uncovering the games secrets requires commitment and perseverance that ultimately leaves you feeling hallow even after you win, because you want more, only to realize that more is harder and your victory means nothing.

The Bad: evading enemy attacks is unfair at times. The AI tracking is too good so good that at times i feel the game cheats in the timing of each attack. the longer the battle drags on the more unpredictable the bosses become. Since they can 2 hit or 1 hit you I feel that this is an aspect that adds an artificial difficulty to the game that will leave most frustrated. The soul vessels that allows for respecing sort of taking away from the element of making and experimenting with new characters. Since you get I 3 in your first play through it doesn't really make sense to start another hero and going through the motions.
  100. Apr 14, 2014
    Everything i expected from a new Souls game. Exhilarating combat, great level design and a story that isn't on the surface but needs to be explored and discovered by looking at item descriptions and the environment.I also like the new ways to up the difficulty throughout the game. Overall a worthy successor to the original.Praise the sun!! o/

1. May 11, 2014
    Dark Souls 2 bears the torch of Dark Souls with honor. No mean feat! [Apr 2014]
  2. Apr 16, 2014
    Even more amazing, and difficult, than Dark Souls.
  3. Apr 16, 2014
    At the end of the day, Dark Souls II uses more subtle changes to find its own flavor and place in the series as a whole, rather than reinventing the wheel.