Dark Souls II PlayStation 3

8.1

1. Mar 11, 2014
    I would give this game a 9.8.....Well what can I say really...... This is Dark Souls with Demon Souls sprinkled on top....Controls take a bit of getting used to as they are not exactly the same as the other games..... It loses a couple points because to be honest I feel that the movements of the player do not feel quite right, hard to explain, best I can describe it would beI would give this game a 9.8.....Well what can I say really...... This is Dark Souls with Demon Souls sprinkled on top....Controls take a bit of getting used to as they are not exactly the same as the other games..... It loses a couple points because to be honest I feel that the movements of the player do not feel quite right, hard to explain, best I can describe it would be ..light.....There is still no hand holding in this game (good thing) however the tutorial section is more in-depth than the other souls games...There are a lot of surprises in this game that I will not spoil but I'll just say that fans of the series will like it very much.....However the game is not for you if you enjoy hand holding, and arrows pointing you to your next objective.... If you are a gamer that likes challenge and learning from your mistakes, this is for you.......... Graphics are updated in this game as well.... There are even more bosses this time around, and there are more variety of enemies as well...... This is Dark Souls at it's finest....... I will say that the lore in this game is there.......but it is lacking compared to the original in my opinion...... I liked how in the first game you had to put the pieces together to figure out the lore behind the game....... In this game as you progress through new areas you find out more about the areas while you play it..... I liked Dark Souls 1 way of doing it better......The boss music in this game is well done as well......
    So if you are a fan of the other souls games, you will not be disappointed, if you are a newcomer, I will just tell you that, you will die a lot, and if you do not like games like that or if you like hand holding, this isn't for you....I think this game is the best so far in the soul series and hope that Dark Souls 3 keeps it up.......
  2. Mar 11, 2014
    All ready a few hours in; and I can tell you if you enjoyed Dark Souls or Demon Souls, you will most definitely enjoy this entry. Most of the features that make it so awesome and exciting remain; and ever so much the challenge is intact. Definitely the game that still gives life to the now "older" systems.
  3. Mar 11, 2014
    Easily one of the greatest RPGs of this generation. If you are a gamer that wants to explore and figure things out by yourself you will love it, if you aren't then you won't like it. Like Dark Souls, this game does not hold you hand. It encourages to seek answers for yourself. But it has a more advanced tutorial section than Dark Souls. So it will be helpful to newcomers of the game.TheEasily one of the greatest RPGs of this generation. If you are a gamer that wants to explore and figure things out by yourself you will love it, if you aren't then you won't like it. Like Dark Souls, this game does not hold you hand. It encourages to seek answers for yourself. But it has a more advanced tutorial section than Dark Souls. So it will be helpful to newcomers of the game.The difficulty level is even higher, and the penalty of death is even severe than its predecessor. But if you have the will, you will overcome it. The combat is excellent. It is more fluid and smooth than DaS. I have played almost 20 hours and haven't felt so excited and terrified at the same time playing a game ever before. The enemy design is quite intimidating. You won't just rush into enemies, like other games, before planning what are you going to do. I think this is the most unique game I have played in a LONG time. If you don't have the patience or just play games casually I won't recommend this game. This game needs your time. But if you overcome the challenges of it you will experience a sense of accomplishment like never before. I yelled when I beat the second boss, because he was tough and I died like 15 time trying to beat. But when I did I was overjoyed. So be prepared to die, again and again. Expand
  4. Mar 23, 2014
    Rarely does a game deliver on its every promise. Dark Souls II does that and more. From the outstanding melee combat, to the subtle character development, going through a battery of unique and vicious environments, Dark Souls II has everything one could ask for from one of the best RPGs ever made.
  5. Mar 14, 2014
    If you're a fan of Demon Souls and Dark Souls you are going to love this game! Very frustrating at first but you'll learn to appreciate the difficulty and the huge environment. Best game on PS3, should have been out for PS4 too.
  6. Apr 19, 2014
    Let me open by saying that Dark Souls II is a plenty good game, so take what you hear here with a grain of salt. Firstly the game plays as you would expect having played the souls series before, and is a challenging game in many respects. However, there are problems I feel must be addressed. Starting with the campaign. The story in my opinion isn't nearly as strong as the original darkLet me open by saying that Dark Souls II is a plenty good game, so take what you hear here with a grain of salt. Firstly the game plays as you would expect having played the souls series before, and is a challenging game in many respects. However, there are problems I feel must be addressed. Starting with the campaign. The story in my opinion isn't nearly as strong as the original dark souls. It manages to be much more generic than the original, but if you're here for the gameplay this shouldn't be a problem. There are several bosses that rely on gimmicks to increase their difficulty instead of having actually challenging ai. In addition to this, several bosses are VERY similar to ones in the previous game. Not that that's a bad thing, but it does make you wish for some variation. The ideas on the whole feel less inspired, as we have more knight bosses than ever. Including one that appears twice, only this time with TWO of them instead of one. I feel like that's definitely a failing on the creativity front. But I'm going to address my biggest problem with the game now. It's multiplayer is heavily flawed. The new director seems to heavily dislike invasions, as invaders are punished harder than ever before. The host can heal, but you cannot stop them. They can usually roll out of the way, preventing any sort of reasonable punish. In addition, lloyd talismans are limited, and you cannot ever get an infinite invasion item of any kind. The PVP has several balance problems, including absurd levels of stunlocking, the inability to punish hosts from healing, and certain stats soft cap so early on everyone is going to have a very cookie cutter build. Weapons do not scale well at all, so you are essentially encourged to go to the soft caps for your stats, then enchant and buff your weapons with spells to get any sort of damage out of them. If you wanted to play a pure str/dex character, prepare to be disappointed. Not only are invaders punished, as the host will almost always have the advantage now, but they get nothing meaningful from actually invading. For the host, death is a slap on the wrist, as they can equip the ring of soul protection and lose nothing if they die. The invader however is doomed to an uphill battle, and faces constant invasions from this game's equivalent of the dark moon covenant, which becomes extremely tedious. If one of your main draws for the series is PVP and invasions, prepare to be extremely disappointed.

As a singleplayer game however it is fine. Not as good as the original, but certainly a solid game in most respects. What I do not understand however, is the design decision to make certain item sets nearly unattainable without hours of farming. This is a determent to the series, and has no place in the game itself.

on the whole we have:
    - A poorly balanced PVP system that punishes players for invading
    - A more generic storyline than the previous games
    - a poorly balanced stat system that encourages users to spread their stats everywhere instead of specializing
    - a ridiculous item farming mechanic.

however, despite this games myriad of problems, it is still a solid title if you're looking for a single player experience. Just don't expect it to be nearly as good as the last game. between the pvp being broken and skewed against the invader, to death being a slap on the wrist. I can't honestly claim this to be as good as dark souls or demons souls. However if you just want more of the series itself, than look no further.
  7. Apr 14, 2014
    the game is great! but if you're expecting dark souls "2" then this isnt it. it feels more of a hybrid of demon and the first dark souls thats a bit easier. its still fun though and it still plays like the others.
  8. Mar 20, 2014
    The game is hard, no lie. It's not the kind of game where you enter a room full of zombies and blast them away first try. Dark Souls 2 teaches critical thinking: When to attack, which weapon is most suited, how to use your stamina efficiently.

There's plenty of roleplaying. As soon as you find a weapon or spell, you'll want to use it immediately. Go dual swords, become grim reaper like, whip people into submission, the choices are unlimited.

This is one of those games that in order to enjoy fully, you have to walk in blindfolded with no guide or wiki. Every secret passage discovered and enemy you kill gives self-satisfying confidence and encourages you to believe "I carve my own destiny!"
  9. Mar 20, 2014
    The care that went into making this brilliant game is evident throughout your entire journey. You will find yourself in an atmospheric, open-world game with stories to tell, secrets to reveal, and a great challenge to offer. You create your character and then gradually shape him or her to your preferred play-style throughout your adventures. You can play alone, or summon other onlineThe care that went into making this brilliant game is evident throughout your entire journey. You will find yourself in an atmospheric, open-world game with stories to tell, secrets to reveal, and a great challenge to offer. You create your character and then gradually shape him or her to your preferred play-style throughout your adventures. You can play alone, or summon other online players temporarily for help. There is also a substantial amount of player-vs-player content to be found in many places within the world. There is oh so much to say about this game, but it is best to experience it for yourself... If you have never played a Souls game before, Dark Souls 2 is a great place to begin. If you have played Dark Souls or Demon's Souls that came before it, you already have this game. Expand
  10. Mar 12, 2014
    Dark Souls II is a glorious lovechild of both Demon's Souls and Dark Souls. It provides the best of both worlds while remaining exceptionally challenging and rewarding. The world is dark, dangerous and full of atmosphere, carrying on Dark Souls' seamless areas. Every area is connected in some way and it gives incredible depth to the world. Funny enough, however, it is in this point exactlyDark Souls II is a glorious lovechild of both Demon's Souls and Dark Souls. It provides the best of both worlds while remaining exceptionally challenging and rewarding. The world is dark, dangerous and full of atmosphere, carrying on Dark Souls' seamless areas. Every area is connected in some way and it gives incredible depth to the world. Funny enough, however, it is in this point exactly that we see one of Dark Souls II's small flaws.

While the world is seamless and vast, you are allowed to 'quick travel' from bonfire to bonfire with no restrictions. This is a convenient service, and indeed might be considered necessary by many, but it detracts from the large world it helps you travel. One of the challenges of Dark Souls was trying to make your way out of a challenging area that you just conquered. In Dark Souls II this is not present, as you may simply use a bonfire to escape the area to safety.

This removes some of the challenge from the game and can make the world seem smaller than it really is. While there is definitely a lot of exploration to be had in Dark Souls II, many players will probably not have a chance to see it all in favor of traveling from bonfire to bonfire to progress the game. With some restrictions set in place, such as requiring an item or souls to use the quick travel, there would be more incentive to travel large distances on foot and it is my hope that FromSoftware takes this to heart for the next installment.

In true Demon's Souls style leveling your character has also changed. No longer do you level at any bonfire; you must now speak to a certain character every time you wish to level. While many will miss the ease of leveling at any bonfire, this system adds more to the world and makes you truly feel like you are getting stronger.

The combat in Dark Souls II is an improvement over the first games and adds some much needed changes. Dual wielding in combat is viable in skilled hands, and archery finds itself more useful as well. Most of the controls have carried over, with some small variations (such as the 'dash jump'), making it easy to pick up and play the game if you have played any of the games before. However, combat is not without its annoyances.

The addition of the 'Adaptability' statistic is an illustration of one of the new annoyances added in Dark Souls II. Raising your Adaptability stat increases some of your resistances but, more importantly, your Agility. Raising your Agility affects the 'speed' of your animations. What does this mean? If you have little Adaptability, and your agility is low, there will be a 'delay' between swinging an attack and your next action. This may not seem terribly bad at first, but if you are fighting more than one enemy and you attack one of them you may find yourself not having enough time to react to an attack from another. It makes fighting multiple enemies extremely frustrating as you have very little chances to attack with no fear of retaliation.

Despite this small annoyance combat is fresh and fun and requires a great amount of skill to get the most out of. This is very noticeable in healing items, actually. The Estus Flask from Dark Souls has returned but a new addition is the Lifegem. Lifegems have much quicker animations than the Estus Flask but restore health over time, slowly, rather than all at once. This sounds simple at first, but requires a tactical mind to get the most out of. The difference between using an Estus Flask or a Lifegem is a matter of life and death.

Lastly, Dark Souls II has an incredible sound track and sound effects. This is immediately noticeable on the Title Screen, boasting a very nice song. The ambient sounds as you travel as well really help set the mood and it is easy to get lost in the world. Each enemy is given life as they are all given sounds to completely fit their character.

Overall, Dark Souls II is a worthy successor to the games before it. Indeed, its flaws are small enough that it might even trump them both.
  11. Mar 11, 2014
    I am long timer Souls fan. I enjoyed the original Demon Souls and Dark Souls. I own a copy of Dark Souls on every platform and have logged over 100+ hours. Dark Souls 2 does not disappoint. Art direction is amazing (lots of light, lots of color, lots of variation), combat is fluid and executes quicker, enemies set traps for you (very creative From!), etc. I could go on but I won't. MostI am long timer Souls fan. I enjoyed the original Demon Souls and Dark Souls. I own a copy of Dark Souls on every platform and have logged over 100+ hours. Dark Souls 2 does not disappoint. Art direction is amazing (lots of light, lots of color, lots of variation), combat is fluid and executes quicker, enemies set traps for you (very creative From!), etc. I could go on but I won't. Most reviews cover the good stuff anyway. Most importantly though, you need to buy a copy of the game and immerse yourself fully. This is the game I have been waiting for. Expand
  12. Mar 15, 2014
    People complain too much yes you can make the enemies respawn after you kill them to much i want spoil it but you get the item 25-30% through the game.... Graphics are fine From soft doesn't have all the cash big devs do they cant create a new graphics engine or rent one and market the game with it. Your lucky you got a dark soul sequel. The game is fine with hit box errors (no worse thenPeople complain too much yes you can make the enemies respawn after you kill them to much i want spoil it but you get the item 25-30% through the game.... Graphics are fine From soft doesn't have all the cash big devs do they cant create a new graphics engine or rent one and market the game with it. Your lucky you got a dark soul sequel. The game is fine with hit box errors (no worse then the beginning of dark souls 1) Lore is good and graphics are stunning in some areas. NPCS are cool,

The bosses are tad forgettable but so were Dark souls and Demon souls.. I've beat demon souls over 9 times and do not remember 80% of the bosses.. Graphics do not make a game i can still pop the legend of zelda majoras mask in and have a really fun time.
  13. Mar 19, 2014
    Absolutely stunning game which is almost a continuation of the last game.

I noticed a few people have mentioned the graphics, which do look a little worse than the previews. Possibly due to compression at the end of the development. That said if you are playing this game just for the graphics then you shouldn't bother as its all about the gameplay.
  14. Mar 12, 2014
    This game is an absolute masterpiece; both the environments and enemies are beautifully designed, and when combined create a dark, immersive game world. Yes, it is challenging, but the euphoria that you experience when you defeat a tough group of enemies or a boss is second to none in my opinion.
  15. Mar 19, 2014
    I love it,but can't help but feel that some things are a little off...The hit detection animations seem mildly out-of-time and there seems to be little farming opportunities.PvP has become suddenly annoying and the HP reduction system is baffling.The worst new thing is the finite enemies and the less than seamless world.It's still great,just not as excellent as the others.
  16. Mar 19, 2014
    I'll be honest - it's not what I expected. The game itself is solid and brilliant, but for some reason it feels like something is missing. I'm about 20 hours in now with a sorceror but so far the scenery feels a bit repetive (fewer open areas, more corridors and traps). Also, the freedom to explore is limited more as early-game bosses are absolutely required rather than optional. RatherI'll be honest - it's not what I expected. The game itself is solid and brilliant, but for some reason it feels like something is missing. I'm about 20 hours in now with a sorceror but so far the scenery feels a bit repetive (fewer open areas, more corridors and traps). Also, the freedom to explore is limited more as early-game bosses are absolutely required rather than optional. Rather than going the brawn way, I decided to try my luck at a sorceror. How I wish I hadn't. the only way for a sorceror to progress is by finding trainers to learn them new spells (alongside with leveling stats). New staves are almost nonexistent in the early-game, forcing you to keep using the starter staff. It feels wrong, as the other classes get an abundance of weapons. When you finally get to a mage trainer, you purchase a few spells that bring you back on par. It feels bland and boring to have so little variety in weapons while others get plenty. I honestly don't know what FS was thinking, but it makes me feel more like I'm grinding towards the next trainer / boss soul rather than looking in every nook for that potentially awesome weapon. Expand
  17. Mar 15, 2014
    Dark Souls 2 has a strange vibe to it that you can only get while playing it yourself. It's world is so well designed. I love how the game doesn't drop you on a one way roller coaster with its ups and downs, you have all the theme park at your disposal, where you are even allowed to kill the ticket-seller dude (sorry, merchant NPCs:( ). Everybody say it is hard. But we should not justDark Souls 2 has a strange vibe to it that you can only get while playing it yourself. It's world is so well designed. I love how the game doesn't drop you on a one way roller coaster with its ups and downs, you have all the theme park at your disposal, where you are even allowed to kill the ticket-seller dude (sorry, merchant NPCs:( ). Everybody say it is hard. But we should not just compare its difficulty level to most other games. Its difficulty is fair. It forces you to learn from your mistakes, tinker new plans. Bosses all feel unique. Some are really scary. AI is really cool and working as intended imo. FromSoftware brilliantly implemented new mechanics above DS1 that works really nice. I love the MAxHp loss on death and the durability system. Each weapon offers a different gameplay and the game pushes to player to use new alternatives. Bonfires (resting points) really makes you feel safe and calm. It has tons of fun and creative online features.
    Overall, this game is absolutely incredible! Has tons of replayability. I hope they keep supporting it with new content.
  18. Mar 19, 2014
    This is one of those games that will go down in history as a legacy and never die. It will be something you can play years from now and enjoy, not just some once and done waste of time game. With Demon's Souls and Dark Souls, Dark Souls II is one of the greatest games ever created.
  19. Mar 13, 2014
    There's really nothing more to say other than you MUST play this game, its perfection... the only reason why it didn't get a 10 from me is because of the half life depletion I don't like it even though it makes the game harder it really takes away from the exploration.
  20. Mar 11, 2014
    This game nails everything dead on. Art design and atmosphere: perfect. Level of difficulty: perfect. Sound design: amazing. It's a quiet understated story, worth multiple playthroughs to piece together. This isn't only as good as Dark Souls, it's better in almost every conceivable way. You will die, you will curse, you will clench your controller in frustration, but you will neverThis game nails everything dead on. Art design and atmosphere: perfect. Level of difficulty: perfect. Sound design: amazing. It's a quiet understated story, worth multiple playthroughs to piece together. This isn't only as good as Dark Souls, it's better in almost every conceivable way. You will die, you will curse, you will clench your controller in frustration, but you will never forget your experience with this game. This is easily the best RPG I've played since Xenoblade Chronicles. Buy this game. Now. Expand
  21. Mar 12, 2014
    I'd give the game a 9.5 if possible, but it's not so we ended up at a 10. The graphics are quite dated. Great for a PS3, sure, but compared to today's titles, it can take quite a while to get used to. That being said, if you love Demon's Souls or Dark Souls, this game delivers in spades. If you can somehow find the strength of will to hold off until the PC release, I would highly suggestI'd give the game a 9.5 if possible, but it's not so we ended up at a 10. The graphics are quite dated. Great for a PS3, sure, but compared to today's titles, it can take quite a while to get used to. That being said, if you love Demon's Souls or Dark Souls, this game delivers in spades. If you can somehow find the strength of will to hold off until the PC release, I would highly suggest doing so. This game equiped with high-end graphics should be counted among one of the best gaming experiences available. Expand
  22. Mar 13, 2014
    Dark Souls II might be my favorite of the 3 games. The UI is currently a little buggy, but it has seen some significant design improvements over the previous games.

I feel like in many cases it tries and succeeds to mix the best of both worlds from Demon's Souls and Dark Souls. Death is more punishing than ever, there is a stronger incentive to co-op, there are many more PvP covenants, there is a sparring arena.

On top of that the game has a ton of physics and graphics improvements over previous games. Some may not like the brighter, more pastel aesthetic, but it's a fact that the technical quality of the graphics has been bumped up a bit. The physics of the game have been improved by simplifying how smaller, more numerous objects interact and instead focusing on the physics of larger objects like barrels and characters. I like seeing my clothes react and pushing boxes/barrels around at 30fps a lot better than I like watching 4251098 pieces of wood and bodies spaz about at 10fps as sometimes happened in DS1.
  23. Mar 11, 2014
    I picked it up on day one and I gotta say that in my whole life, I have never played anything better than this game! However, it needs one improvement: graphics and lighting, whereas the demo (not beta) build on PS3 looked better than the retail build, which is disappointing. But still, at least it's better than its predecessor.
  24. Mar 13, 2014
    Dark Souls II is a fantastic sequel. Everything is more polished and refined. The wonderful art direction, incredible enemy design, challenge and the great atmosphere make this game a must buy. This is not for the faint of heart however. You will die and the game requires patience. This doesn't mean it's for only the ''hardcore gamers'', no. It's for everyone to try out. You'll still haveDark Souls II is a fantastic sequel. Everything is more polished and refined. The wonderful art direction, incredible enemy design, challenge and the great atmosphere make this game a must buy. This is not for the faint of heart however. You will die and the game requires patience. This doesn't mean it's for only the ''hardcore gamers'', no. It's for everyone to try out. You'll still have a great experience, even if you somehow don't manage to finish the game up.

Dark Souls II is visually stunning. The art style and varied environments keep the game feeling fresh. Even when you're ''stuck'' in a section of the game world for several hours even, you never feel like something is getting old. You constantly learn something new, whether it's a new attack pattern or a well hidden item.

Just like it's predecessors, Dark Souls II is INCREDIBLY rewarding. Even for a Souls vet, like myself who's put around 2500 hours to both Demon's Souls and Dark Souls combined. You always feel like you're accomplishing something. No developer does it quite like From Software. Today's mainstream franchises feel like a waste of time compared to the Souls series. While, one might argue that the Souls games are mainstream now, with this being the third installment, it still haven't gotten old one bit. From always puts time, love and effort to their games to make sure they're polished and provide the best possible experience. Which probably is why the Souls series is my favorite of this past generation, and i'm sure other people think that as well.

The gameplay is more or less the same. It's still the best combat system around only with some tweaks. Firstly, goodbye invincibility frames when rolling/dodging. This can make some of the first boss encounters feel a little odd, if you're coming from Dark Souls. You might say to yourselves ''THAT DIDN'T EVEN HIT ME!'' but trust me, it did hit you. The hit-boxes are really good in Dark Souls II. The parrying is a bit harder than in the first Dark Souls. It requires more timing and precision.

The lore is still there to be find, even though the core story that you're playing through is explained to you by the various NPCs, the LORE is still there to be found and much speculation to be done.

The boss fights are still incredible, although some of them feel a little too similar to each other, they're still very well designed and deliciously challenging. Here's a hoping for a Next Gen Souls release somewhere down the line. Just take your time From Software!

9.5/10

I rated it a 10 on the score because of the awfully stupid user score system. It's like you're allowing moronic troll children to determine what games people should play. The user score for the Xbox 360 version just keeps going down, it's like one person keeps making accounts to give Dark Souls II zeroes because they have nothing better to do with their life. If you want to see what people REALLY think about the game go see the Playstation 3 section. (unless you're already reading this there, then good for you.)
  25. Mar 11, 2014
    An all around superior version of Dark Souls, on a new engine with shiny new graphics, improved gameplay, improved animations, improved polish, more stuff to do... There's just nothing to complain about, it's all epic.
  26. Mar 11, 2014
    Note: I have not finished this game, I have only played approximately 8 hours of it. I will do a brief list of pros and cons because it's really the easiest way to compare it to the first game. Pros: Combat is more interesting with more ways to counter attack and better magic systems, Enemy AI is improved (still not perfect, of course), immediately available fast travel, more encouragementNote: I have not finished this game, I have only played approximately 8 hours of it. I will do a brief list of pros and cons because it's really the easiest way to compare it to the first game. Pros: Combat is more interesting with more ways to counter attack and better magic systems, Enemy AI is improved (still not perfect, of course), immediately available fast travel, more encouragement for online play through the new humanity system, vastly improved covenants, better stats, more diverse and interesting environments (there are some seriously cool places). Cons: One single leveling location - such a time waster, sound design isn't as good... that's about it.

So far it seems like a great game.
  27. Mar 16, 2014
    It's good to see Dark Souls II return to it's roots and incorporate more of the atmosphere from Demon's Souls. Hands down the best in the series and the leveling system makes it so you can't just stack endurance to get the best melee build. A definite improvement, and less forgiving right at the start.
  28. Mar 19, 2014
    Its just Dark Souls II. what do I need to say?. it brings everything NEW to the table. game is awesome. MP is better than last. less lag. but still some. I can't ask for more than this. this is the first time I've pre-ordered a game. and Its worth it. Praise the Sun! this is a review by someone who played the first Dark Souls 250 hours. and both of them are the closest RPG game to perfect.
  29. Mar 19, 2014
    The game lives up to hype of the first game and is truly a spectacular experience. It is more of a combination of its past games, Demon and Dark Souls. I have heard many reviewers say that the game is the most difficult of the souls game, but that is simply not true. As great as DkSII is, I thought it to be much easier than the other souls games.

I went with a melee build, and after the

I went with a melee build, and after the first 7hrs, every bosses and enemies were falling like dominoes. I expect sorcery builds to have a much easier, albeit longer, time to finish the main story. I managed to even finish the game at 40hrs and I remember DkSI taking me at least 60hrs. The game, even with HP decreasing per death penalty, is far less punishing than the other souls games since there is a bonfire in every corner, and a certain ring offsets the HP decreasing penalty.

I do like that the bosses are much more skill and precision based than in DkS1, where most of the time in the first one I either tanked the boss or the boss turned out to be gimmick based fight not relying on skill. The enemies are much more balanced and the hitboxes seems a little fixed.

I think most people find DkSII harder because A) they haven't played a souls game in a long time B) this is their first souls game.
    I strongly recommend someone new to the series to play the first one, and after completing it, DkSII feels like a vacation.
  30. Mar 11, 2014
    O jogo é excelente, manteve muitas caraterísticas extremamente boas das versões anteriores e inseriram melhores texturas e itens novos. Quanto a dificuldade está bem balanceada, poderia até estar mais dificil, mas está ok.
  31. Mar 11, 2014
    This is one of the best games I have played in a very long time. The pacing is great, environments gorgeous, the replayability is fantastic due to multiple play-styles being viable, the soundtrack fills your heart with dread as you stare at the next monstrosity in your way, the gameplay is solid, and most importantly the controls are superb. I don't want to spoil anything so I will stopThis is one of the best games I have played in a very long time. The pacing is great, environments gorgeous, the replayability is fantastic due to multiple play-styles being viable, the soundtrack fills your heart with dread as you stare at the next monstrosity in your way, the gameplay is solid, and most importantly the controls are superb. I don't want to spoil anything so I will stop here. To the new players, do yourself a favor and pick this game up. And if you are a fan of the Souls series, why are you even reading my review? Go play the game because you undoubtedly own it already! Expand
  32. Mar 14, 2014
    Praise the Soul games! The enigmatic ambience; the best sword and sorcery combat;
    the thrill of exploration and discovery; the INGENIOUS level design; the aid of companions
    when needed --- it's all back in this sublime, spellbinding sequel. Thanks, From Software.
  33. Mar 11, 2014
    What can i say...it was well worth the wait... graphics upgrade, technical combat system, a mysterious tale, very minimal guidance....and yes....a million deaths...a must buy for anyone who desires the sleepless nights that come along with it...10/10 i say.
  34. Mar 11, 2014
    Dark souls 1 Kicked my butt so hard that i left it for almost a year, but then i played it again for the sake of just knowing how it ends, It was Amazing, i played it for 3 more new game+++, but it had it lacks, but this game, This game is PERFECT! You can Finally Use Dual Swords effectively, Range Weapons Actually works for both PVP and PVE! Bosses are great, But its no where being Easy,Dark souls 1 Kicked my butt so hard that i left it for almost a year, but then i played it again for the sake of just knowing how it ends, It was Amazing, i played it for 3 more new game+++, but it had it lacks, but this game, This game is PERFECT! You can Finally Use Dual Swords effectively, Range Weapons Actually works for both PVP and PVE! Bosses are great, But its no where being Easy, this game will not hold your hands, the moment you Create Your Character, you have your Freedom. Dark souls 1 was 3.9 GB, and this game is Almost 12 Gb on the PC, 12 GB of content that is! Expand
  35. Mar 11, 2014
    Sensational. Just sensational. An enormous game of earned triumph. The lore is fantastic, the world is eery and terrifying, the enemies are repulsive and ingenious, the gameplay is crushing and rewarding. A grand mix of Demon's Souls and Dark Souls together in a game that is certainly the best in the series.
  36. Mar 11, 2014
    I like to play this game naked and I cut myself and put salt in my wounds... That is truly the way to play the souls series... I also hacked the game already so it would allow me to use my invention my shock therapy device, so every time I die in Dark souls I get an electric shock... It was the only way I learn...When I beat a boss I have been on for a long time, I celebrate by rubbingI like to play this game naked and I cut myself and put salt in my wounds... That is truly the way to play the souls series... I also hacked the game already so it would allow me to use my invention my shock therapy device, so every time I die in Dark souls I get an electric shock... It was the only way I learn...When I beat a boss I have been on for a long time, I celebrate by rubbing peanut butter on my nipples and then I punch myself in the face. So all you guys saying you are true dark souls players......ya right.... Play it with shock therapy while having your nutts in a vice... I think I'm the true fan here, I lost one of my nutts to Demon souls, don't worry I keep it in my tackle box... Rated T Expand
  37. Mar 13, 2014
    Fromsoft have done it again! Dark Souls 2 is the game we were all hoping for. Brilliant.

One of the changes I did notice more so than others, was my character is a lot slower to start off with. Slow to react, slow to recover and just generally sluggish all round. Took me a while to get used to and twitch reactions weren't coming into play as much as planning out my movements in advance.

Frame rate still drops on my old PS3 in certain areas, but I do plan on switching to PC once it's out.
  38. Mar 17, 2014
    Get It - if you liked the previous games you'll like this one - your life will soon be over. Not just your game life but your home life too. Demons souls franchise rules my living room.
  39. Mar 17, 2014
    First just want to say I gave the game a 9 out of 10 for the simple fact nothing should get a ten. Always something you can find wrong. This game i would say its the graphics are the only thing wrong with is game. The fighting system is not really better then the first Dark Souls but it is different in a way that makes if challenging for season vets to the game, but not to difficult forFirst just want to say I gave the game a 9 out of 10 for the simple fact nothing should get a ten. Always something you can find wrong. This game i would say its the graphics are the only thing wrong with is game. The fighting system is not really better then the first Dark Souls but it is different in a way that makes if challenging for season vets to the game, but not to difficult for new comers. The game still has its hardcore stat management that I personalty love. The huge open world of the game also is fun to explore. You never know what or who you might find on the other side of a waterfall or cliff. Plus NBG added a fast travel right at the beginning of the game. The death counter in the early parts of this game was a great touch.This is quickly become my favorite game franchise to-date. I encourage you to attempted this game if you like great action rpg. You will not be disappointed, just don't give up and remember count on death. Expand
  40. Mar 23, 2014
    This game is simply amazing, it is probably the best game I have played so far in 2014! I had so much fun playing it I even forgot from time to time I was even playing. You get so emerged into this world of epic monsters and big challenging bosses. If you liked the first Dark souls and demon souls you will definitely love this game. That being said if you did not enjoy the previous soulThis game is simply amazing, it is probably the best game I have played so far in 2014! I had so much fun playing it I even forgot from time to time I was even playing. You get so emerged into this world of epic monsters and big challenging bosses. If you liked the first Dark souls and demon souls you will definitely love this game. That being said if you did not enjoy the previous soul games you will not like this one either as the game-play is almost the same and the bosses can seem pretty similar and the difficulty level is definitely there. I really hope most of you guys out there pick this up, would be a shame to miss out on this game. Expand
  41. Mar 20, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Great multiplayer, excellent challenge for the hardcore gamers, and more makes this a perfect sequel to the original. The only complaint I have with this game is a certain death penalty encountered in the game that decreases your max HP every time you die. Well this is avoidable, it is difficult to do so, and will get annoying. But it is a minor problem, and the good points of this game greatly makes up for the bad. A great game, and here's hoping for more! Expand
  42. Mar 12, 2014
    Picture a perfect game in your head...oh wait you don't have to it's called Dark Souls II and you should get a copy for PS3, XBOX, or PC. ALL HAIL FROMSOFTWARE. PRAISE THE SUN.
  43. Mar 11, 2014
    Do I really need to say why this game is **** AWESOME?! Ok. Good graphics, great gameplay, great dialogues and, of course, hard as ****
    I think Dark Souls II is a great name for Best 2014 RPG or maybe even GOTY
  44. Mar 11, 2014
    Absolutely incredible this game is simply one of the best games ever made IMO and sets the new bar for RPGs and games in generally the game took me about 35 hours to complete partly because of the amount of times you die but for me its what makes the game so good because when you finish the game there is no better feeling than knowing that you completed Dark Souls 2. You ask why I see wellAbsolutely incredible this game is simply one of the best games ever made IMO and sets the new bar for RPGs and games in generally the game took me about 35 hours to complete partly because of the amount of times you die but for me its what makes the game so good because when you finish the game there is no better feeling than knowing that you completed Dark Souls 2. You ask why I see well let me tell why. Its just that every conceivable area has been improved from the original Dark Souls from the gameplay, story, balance, and the overall experience has been improved and has resulted in a true masterpiece in gaming. But I will warn you that this game is only for HARDCORE GAMERS because you aren't then trust me will become a real dark soul but if you are then get out there and buy this masterpiece right now and you wont forget it.
    Thanks for reading my review
  45. Mar 11, 2014
    One of the few games I'd call truly perfect.

Incredible, beautiful dark atmosphere and visuals, haunting music, pitch-perfect voice acting, mysterious hints of a grand and terrible story given through small hints in everything from bodies on the ground to key descriptions. All of this is layered on top of the most polished, punishing, and ultimately rewarding combat system I've ever
    One of the few games I'd call truly perfect.

All of this is layered on top of the most polished, punishing, and ultimately rewarding combat system I've ever played on.

This is a game of the year. A game of the decade. A fitting send-off to a generation of gaming.

Prepare to die.
  46. Mar 12, 2014
    Prettier, smoother, tougher, more complex than ever. Dark Souls 2 never holds your hand. Co-op is working great. Jaw dropping experience. I died at least 50 times the first day.
  47. Mar 12, 2014
    There still isn't a single next gen game worth playing, and with games like Dark Souls II, last gen is far from dead. Dark Souls II is just as good as it's predecessors Demon's Souls and Dark Souls, combining various gameplay aspects of each. If you haven't played a Souls game, what are you doing with your life?
  48. Mar 11, 2014
    I LOVE THIS GAME from the bottom of my ass. It's the best game i have ever played i just love it the engine just stuns me. I give it 10/10 of the story and the amazing graphic!

My wore may game - Alidengote 2014
  49. Mar 11, 2014
    This game is truly one of a kind. Everything from the gameplay to the atmosphere feels like a genuine RPG. Most of all this game makes you feel like a badass who has gone through a lot of s*** to earn his title.
  50. Mar 11, 2014
    I never played something that had save points this difficult. Graphics are the best of this generation, gameplay and history are flawless. If you liked the first one this is a must buy!
  51. Mar 11, 2014
    best game in the history of mankind nothing else compares,buy this game don't watch any guides,play alone,no online and experience the brilliance that is Dark Souls II.GFX,Visuals,sound,mp everything is refined and improved
  52. Mar 13, 2014
    This game (just like the last two in the series) is either going to be loved dearly or hated passionately. Obviously, the people who lack ambition, determination, persistence, patience, and ingenuity are the ones who are most likely to hate it passionately. So, basically, most of the people who have played this game and then given it a low score are losers. While, the ones who love itThis game (just like the last two in the series) is either going to be loved dearly or hated passionately. Obviously, the people who lack ambition, determination, persistence, patience, and ingenuity are the ones who are most likely to hate it passionately. So, basically, most of the people who have played this game and then given it a low score are losers. While, the ones who love it dearly are winners. The game itself, really can't be faulted very much if you like RPGs. It's obviously wonderfully crafted and extremely well done. Expand
  53. Mar 14, 2014
    Bought a PS3 for the 2nd or 3rd time just to play this game. Demon Souls and Dark Souls are probably my favorite games of all time and I've played games since 1989. Incredibly difficult, but extremely rewarding. Highly recommend to anyone that has half a brain.
  54. crs
    Mar 20, 2014
    I am so glad I didn't sell my PS3 upon getting a PS4 as its worth owning a PS3 just to play Dark Souls 2.

If you didn't like Dark Souls it wont convert you but If you liked Dark Souls you will love it. Granted its a bit more accessible than the first game with finite re-spawns but you can use this to your advantage to build up your character very easily. When in Dark Souls I found

When in Dark Souls I found my character needed to upgrade by 25 levels this took a month but in Dark Souls 2 I was able to get to the required level in a mere day by using finite re-spawns at a certain point.

People complain about the graphics not being as good as they were shown, get over it the game-play is good and that's all that matters.

Whats the point of having a game that looks beautiful and plays like a piece of rubbish.

If you love Dark Souls buy it and Prepare to Die!!!
  55. Mar 17, 2014
    Visuals: 8
    Visuals: 8
    First thing you will notice is that the visuals look great, and it now runs at a solid 30fps, and sometimes more in areas that don't have much going on (Caves for example). Models and animations got improved a lot, remember when you pressed random in Dark Souls and Demon Souls and your character looked like an alien? not anymore, although some faces may look a bit awkward, but it still looks great (I would've liked a bit more options on customization but that's just my opinion.)

Sound: 9
    Some of the sounds from Dark Souls are still present (bonfire, entering a new area, etc.) and for me its great to hear those familiar sounds back. The soundtrack is what shines in DS2, great music and each soundtrack is unique (loved the one from the Flexile Sentry and the Old Dragonslayer).

Gameplay: 8
    Having over 400 hours in DS1 and 200 on DS, the game feels completely fresh, but at the same time the formula stays the same. Combat in DS2 is now a bit slower, but more fluid and makes me want more and more! Controls stay the same, which is great, no big change there.The leveling system is now different and more balanced, want to max out endurance and carry Hovel's and roll around with infinite stamina? nope! It is now more complex than the last two games (Maiden in Black memories anyone?). The dying penalty is now painful, is a bit annoying and makes me yell at the screen every time I die, but reminds me how bad it is to die and play more carefully instead of just sprinting through the whole level. However I feel that magic is a bit more OP than in previous games, especially in PvP. Multiplayer seems a bit broken when it comes to matchmaking in PvP, but these don't kill the experience.

Lore: 9
    Again, DS does not make its storyline very obvious, is mysterious, making me think what is happening, exploring, reading item descriptions and talking to the different characters is key to understand what's going on.
  56. Mar 11, 2014
    I was apprehensive, how come Namco pull it off 3 times in a row? They did.

One or two areas look pretty poor and unimaginative, but the gameplay makes them interesting. The rest of the game looks amazing, and will look even better on PC.
  57. Apr 6, 2014
    This epic sequel offers more content than ever before, and the unique multilayer mechanics are truly working for the first time in the series.

Pros: Melee is balanced with hundreds of viable weapon choices, simplified upgrading and crisp mechanics. Magic has 4 different paths with more options than ever before. Endless hours of fun PvP. Awesome enemy/boss design. Easiest Co-Op in the series. Great incentives for assisting other players. Many options for making the game harder if you find it too easy. Built from the ground up for re-playability with new traps, gear and enemies exclusively to NG+.

Cons: The graphics were downgraded (but are still beautiful - for old consoles), hard skill caps mean you'll be wasting your points if you don't know what you're doing. Some lag in PvP. Voice acting is hit or miss. The music took a turn from the first two which effects the "souls" feel. Nearly absent rumble controls. The "soul memory" system frustrates many friends trying to co-op.

- Lore is even more hidden than DS1, but there DEFINITELY IS a lot there, and there will be deep lore conversations to come.

- Nearly all of the information online and even in guides is false, misleading or inaccurate. You truly know nothing about anything until you do it yourself. If you hear an item or build is overpowered, broken or useless - your personal findings are likely to be much different and more complex than what you had read. Therese just too much going on, too many variables. Even gameplay videos are misleading.

- While the complexity may turn some casual gamers away, complexity leads to longevity for those who can't get enough of this game.

After two 100-hour play-throughs, I'm trying very hard not to play my third character in anticipation for the PC release.
  58. Mar 21, 2014
    This is the first Dark Souls game I've played in this series and I'm now convinced I need to go buy the first one. I was a bit weary of paying $65.00 for a game I new nothing about so I did a lot of research and what I found was nothing like I had ever seen before. I found that tons of reviews of the previous versions is that they were extremely difficult, challenging and rewarding. I alsoThis is the first Dark Souls game I've played in this series and I'm now convinced I need to go buy the first one. I was a bit weary of paying $65.00 for a game I new nothing about so I did a lot of research and what I found was nothing like I had ever seen before. I found that tons of reviews of the previous versions is that they were extremely difficult, challenging and rewarding. I also found that this game isn't for everyone and it's mostly for hardcore gamers. I had to take this challenge and I'm so glad I did. I don't think I've ever had a game that challenges you on the level like Dark Souls 2 does on a consistent basis. From the very beginning, you are tested in your ability to properly block, evade, or roll while finding the right time to attack your opponents. There are countless situations where you need to stop and plan ahead of how you will proceed. You may have to pull one enemy with an arrow while jumping down to evade another and kill two demons below you all at the same time. You also must fight bosses that are extremely tough and it may take quite a few deaths to learn their patterns and figure out how to beat them.

For all of the challenges you will face, this game is also incredibly rewarding! There are tons of gear, armor, and weapons for loot and upgrade. Do you risk a death to obtain an amazing ring? Or do you wait until your stronger and come back later? The beautiful thing is that it's all up to you! You have full customization options of your character and can choose from many different classes and play styles. I'm maybe halfway through and have found around 60 different weapons including: spears, swords, hammers, and bows/crossbows and around 10 different armor sets.

As you make your way through certain areas, the fact that every single creature can literally kill you, this game has a way of instilling fear into you and I find that amazing! I find myself entering new areas with a certain hesitation and with my shield raised in case of an ambush, all the while my hands are literally trembling.

I highly recommend Dark Souls 2 to any player who loves RPGs but wants to take it to the next level! You will experience fear, anger, excitement, despair, and then you will be rewarded, or die.
  59. Mar 25, 2014
    This sequel, of Dark Souls & Demon Souls is many times better than it's predecessors. Not only is it larger and more immersive, than the two previous games; it's much more user friendly. This game introduces fast travel, despawning of enemies and much more weapons. I would recommend you play this game whether you're played the previous 2 games of not, this game is a masterpiece and reallyThis sequel, of Dark Souls & Demon Souls is many times better than it's predecessors. Not only is it larger and more immersive, than the two previous games; it's much more user friendly. This game introduces fast travel, despawning of enemies and much more weapons. I would recommend you play this game whether you're played the previous 2 games of not, this game is a masterpiece and really should be under your radar. Expand
  60. Mar 14, 2014
    I really like this game but i feel like it could've been better if the old director had stayed. still worth playing though especially if you liked the first like me
  61. Mar 14, 2014
    Great sequel. I had concerns at FromSoft's ability to produce a good sequel after how much praise Dark Souls got. Thankfully, they've delivered a hugely enjoyable game just like the first. They have combined mechanics from both Dark Souls and Demon's Souls to create a new experience which is still true to the series. Dark souls notoriously annoying multiplayer issues have vanished. TheGreat sequel. I had concerns at FromSoft's ability to produce a good sequel after how much praise Dark Souls got. Thankfully, they've delivered a hugely enjoyable game just like the first. They have combined mechanics from both Dark Souls and Demon's Souls to create a new experience which is still true to the series. Dark souls notoriously annoying multiplayer issues have vanished. The single player is as vague and puzzling as you would expect and there is tonnes of lore hidden in NPC dialogues and whatnot. FromSoft have created another stunning game world with beautiful background music. The level design is above anything else I have seen.
    My only criticism is that the textures are fairly low-res. If this game had been released on the PS4 with higher res textures then it would been a 10/10 rating from me.
  62. Apr 22, 2014
    There's no real way to describe this game. Sure, I could tell you that it's amazingly rewarding and deserves every single award it gets. I could tell you to give this game a chance because it's an amazing in-depth rpg that doesn't lose sight of what it's goals are. But truth is, Dark Souls 2 isn't like other RPGs, in fact, calling that is an injustice. Dark souls 2 finds a perfect lineThere's no real way to describe this game. Sure, I could tell you that it's amazingly rewarding and deserves every single award it gets. I could tell you to give this game a chance because it's an amazing in-depth rpg that doesn't lose sight of what it's goals are. But truth is, Dark Souls 2 isn't like other RPGs, in fact, calling that is an injustice. Dark souls 2 finds a perfect line between "barely scratching the surface," and "way too in-depth, maybe I should give up." It has a structured learning curve, and honestly, anyone could pick it up and understand exactly what is happening. It keeps everything simple, it has fantasy elements, there's no doubt, but it doesn't take it over the top creating it's own languages and having back stories and characters that need introductions and full books. Instead, the character don't really matter. You are the character, and your story is waiting. Go ahead, stumble, but learn from your mistakes and appreciate this game like I do. Expand
  63. Mar 14, 2014
    aside from it being last gen, its game play and enemy ai is fantastic, i find the game awesome beyond my expectation , keep up the good work from, and as a suggestion you should remake the king field games with the dark souls engine that would be epic!!!
  64. Apr 28, 2014
    This game is difficult, hell, maybe even too difficult-IF you don't enjoy a decent challenge. If you have the brain the size of a pea and the courage of a lemming, quit while your ahead. This game will break your balls like your mother broke those eggs over the bowl when she made you eggs in the morning. You will die countless, countless, countless times and you will be filled with a bloodThis game is difficult, hell, maybe even too difficult-IF you don't enjoy a decent challenge. If you have the brain the size of a pea and the courage of a lemming, quit while your ahead. This game will break your balls like your mother broke those eggs over the bowl when she made you eggs in the morning. You will die countless, countless, countless times and you will be filled with a blood boiling rage that will spill out into your social life. You will lash out at your friends and family due your anger at the game, which can alienate you from life itself from the beginning! If your going to play this game, then I suggest becoming so sick that no one will want to be near you for at-least a week in a half(which is how long it took me to beat the game purposefully trying to speed through it) When you have achieved that, then prepare yourself for an incredibly rocky ride filled with loss, anger, depression, feelings of a overwhelming need to sob and a need to crawl up into a ball in the corner. However, be prepared for the INCREDIBLY OVERWHELMING sense of accomplishment and pride for when you conquer that boss fight, or that corridor your trapped in, ect. If you are willing to undertake this challenge, then this game is for you. If not, then avoid the game like the plague. Expand
  65. Mar 22, 2014
    As a veteran Demon's/Dark Souls player, I have to say that this sequel did not disappoint. despite the change of the game director. The game feels like a perfect mixture of both Demon's and Dark Souls 1, with many improvements and interesting new features. The summoning and invading system has been greatly improved from previous games, now it is a lot easier to do both without running intoAs a veteran Demon's/Dark Souls player, I have to say that this sequel did not disappoint. despite the change of the game director. The game feels like a perfect mixture of both Demon's and Dark Souls 1, with many improvements and interesting new features. The summoning and invading system has been greatly improved from previous games, now it is a lot easier to do both without running into errors. The boss fights still feel as epic as ever, in both challenge and atmosphere, and the overall atmosphere is surely that of the Soul's series. I would normally have rated this game a 9 or 9.5 but since I love the Soul's series at a whole I have to give it a 10. Expand
  66. Mar 31, 2014
    Well the graphics may not have survived but the gameplay and design is still as brutal and fulfilling as it has ever been!!! A few tweaks have been made to the original DS formula to make things less frustrating for players but don't think that means this game is any easier than it's predecessor or spiritual Grandfather. Smoother frame rate, tighter controls, and a more thoughtfullyWell the graphics may not have survived but the gameplay and design is still as brutal and fulfilling as it has ever been!!! A few tweaks have been made to the original DS formula to make things less frustrating for players but don't think that means this game is any easier than it's predecessor or spiritual Grandfather. Smoother frame rate, tighter controls, and a more thoughtfully planned out environment all help this game run circles around DS 1. But if you liked the first game then you know all this stuff already by now I am sure.

For anyone who is keeps **** about the graphics, get out because your **** is tired. PC owners might have a stake in this fight, but anyone who thought the game originally shown could have run on a 7 year old console that barely ran Blight Town is an outright imbecile. What, you never witnessed a company rely on a target render video for promotion? Are you people new or what? Target videos have annoyed us since 3D graphics were brought to the gaming table. Get over yourselves.

Lastly, this is not a co-op game. You will not be running around killing everything in sight with your friends. You will not be saving your besty at the last minute in some hail mary during a mid game boss fight. You won't be trading gear and swapping hair accessories around the bonfire as you and your BFF giggle about how easy Old Knights are. This game is about one persons painful and long quest to beat a bunch of enormous creatures in the face with blunt or pointy objects. If you want to go kill a bunch of stuff with your buddies, go play Borderlands. If you want everything explained to you every step of the way and have your hand held, go play Fable. If you wanted a massive convoluted story to frame your gameplay, go pick up Final Fantasy part, whatever. If you are a gamer that wants to test the limits of their skill and endurance, play Dark Souls.

To the Negs. The graphics down grade didn't effect the gameplay so obviously if you are concerned with the look of a game over the fun then you shouldn't be playing video games. They make Michael Bay films for you people to drool over. And to the people complaining about the vagueness, difficulty, and lack of co-op in the game; did you even play part 1 or do any research whatsoever into the game. Because all those things you are **** about are the same strengths that series fans cant get enough of. So no, the game didn't waste your 60 bucks. You did it to yourself for jumping on a band wagon before knowing what it was all about. Go find a RedBox next time you aren't completely certain that you must play a game and keep your sour grapes to yourselves.
  67. Apr 6, 2014
    If Dark Souls 2 seems easier. Its because you have gotten really good at Dark Souls 1. You understand how to win and you understand that death is part of the experience that makes victory all the more sweeter. The inclusion of soul vessels makes playing with builds on your first play through a deeper experience. And as you start new games or continue with new game plus you know how toIf Dark Souls 2 seems easier. Its because you have gotten really good at Dark Souls 1. You understand how to win and you understand that death is part of the experience that makes victory all the more sweeter. The inclusion of soul vessels makes playing with builds on your first play through a deeper experience. And as you start new games or continue with new game plus you know how to build your character according to your play style. In this regard the game can become easier because you become more powerful both through stats and your understanding of enemy patterns, However there are ways to keep the difficulty up. Bonfire aesthetics when used make the enemies in the area more difficult by turning it into essentially a new game plus and it stacks. I for example made a certain area new game plus lv 4 on my first play through. There is also a covenant that makes the entire game harder by increasing enemy HP and attack strength the covenant also removes summoning signs so you will have to kill bosses solo :). The rewards are awesome for this covenant .

If you loved Dark Souls 1 there is no reason why Dark Souls would be a disappointment. It is essentially the same game but with more content and new play style approaches. The difficulty is player controlled once you master its initial difficulty.

For new comers this game will be tough but not as seemingly impossible as the first.This is due to the fast bonfire traveling and the co-op covenants which make dealing with bosses, player invasions and clearing tough areas easier. The story is pieced together via npc scripts and the lore found on items. the world and items tells you the story, it inst presented to you directly. So if you approach this as a hack and slash action rpg that feeds you story line through a friendly and animated world you wont enjoy the experience. Because there is a overwhelming sense of despair leading on to nihilism that blankets the game from start to finish. Getting through it and uncovering the games secrets requires commitment and perseverance that ultimately leaves you feeling hallow even after you win, because you want more, only to realize that more is harder and your victory means nothing.

The Bad: evading enemy attacks is unfair at times. The AI tracking is too good so good that at times i feel the game cheats in the timing of each attack. the longer the battle drags on the more unpredictable the bosses become. Since they can 2 hit or 1 hit you I feel that this is an aspect that adds an artificial difficulty to the game that will leave most frustrated. The soul vessels that allows for respecing sort of taking away from the element of making and experimenting with new characters. Since you get I 3 in your first play through it doesn't really make sense to start another hero and going through the motions.
  68. Mar 23, 2014
    i'm really impressed. have played the series from demons souls onward, basically bought a PS3 to mainly play demons souls. the idea of the game reminded me of some mechanics of early MMO pvp/pk like in ultima online, if you kill someone or die to a player or whatever you can suffer. i really like that challenge.

the game is pretty much near perfect for what the ps3 is capable of. i'm

the game is pretty much near perfect for what the ps3 is capable of. i'm primarily a pc gamer but couldn't wait the extra month to get it on that platform. plus i almost think it will have more hackers due to the HUGE russian community that will buy it super cheap.

i've spent about 70 hours playing so far, two different characters. the game has a LOT of content, and more is added in new game+. the pvp and co op seems to work so much better than before. really impressed!
  69. May 29, 2014
    You probably already know how notorious this franchise is for being hard. True, Dark Souls is not very enjoyable to ppl who can only handle cakewalk or even moderate difficulty. Bosses will most likely kill you in 1 to 3 hits depending on how tanky you are (and no that doesnt mean they only hit once each attack. take a full combo and you are dead), and lesser foes are also able to take offYou probably already know how notorious this franchise is for being hard. True, Dark Souls is not very enjoyable to ppl who can only handle cakewalk or even moderate difficulty. Bosses will most likely kill you in 1 to 3 hits depending on how tanky you are (and no that doesnt mean they only hit once each attack. take a full combo and you are dead), and lesser foes are also able to take off significant proportions of your health with their attacks. If you cannot utilize invincibility frames that comes with your dodge, Dark Souls 2 will most likely be punishing to you. But it is for the same reason that Dark Souls 2 gives so much sense of accomplishment when you do overcome the difficulty.
    Dark Souls 2 introduces a comprehensive customization system. Not only can you equip each piece of armor and weapon (left and right hand) separately, but there is actually a reason for ppl to try different setup rather than taking the biggest swords: heavy equipments make you slow moving and your stamina regen slower, and vice versa. There is a whopping amount of weapon types in the game, all of which are versatile depending on what play style you use. Dark Souls 2 also introduces the ability to respec skill points, which makes it possible to try out every weapon and play style.
    Dark Souls 2 is made to last. A single playthrough will easily take 100 to 150 hours depending how good you are at the game and how much farming you do, and because the gameplay is solid and can vary greatly with the use of different setups, there is actually reason to replay the campaign again in NG+ and I do recommend you do so should you go that far.
    Online play is integrated into the game, as you can find soapstones in the world other players have put down that you can interact with to summon them to fight with or against you.
    The world of Dark Souls 2 is frankly... quite dark and sufficiently interesting. The kingdom of Drangleic loses all its glory and tranquility as the undead curse falls upon this land. Map designs are pretty good, and the world feels alive.
    A few things Dark Souls 2 doesnt do so well in are its plot (it doesnt have much) and the mediocre character models and graphics. Other than that Dark Souls 2 is an absolutely amazing game every hardcore gamer must play.
  70. Apr 30, 2014
    Dark Souls 2 is everything I could ever ask for in a video game. There's always something new to discover, even long after the final boss is defeated, and the PvP is deep and rewarding. But what really grabs me is the absolute freedom, lore and very kingdom of Drangleic. It's so rich with depth, beauty and darkness that your journey through each massive zone will be quiet, harrowing,Dark Souls 2 is everything I could ever ask for in a video game. There's always something new to discover, even long after the final boss is defeated, and the PvP is deep and rewarding. But what really grabs me is the absolute freedom, lore and very kingdom of Drangleic. It's so rich with depth, beauty and darkness that your journey through each massive zone will be quiet, harrowing, rewarding and ultimately blissful as you leave your mark and become a part of the world yourself. Expand
  71. Apr 15, 2014
    Excellent!! Dark Souls 2 improved than Dark Souls 1 actually
    and smooth Frame was Good than Dark Souls 1
    im Love so much FromSoftware
    i found lost memory that playing ghost n goblins
  72. Aug 2, 2014
    To start out, this game is a worthy successor in the DeS/DaS series.
    Ambiance of this game is amazing, as well as all surprises that are awaiting you when exploring the world.
    To start out, this game is a worthy successor in the DeS/DaS series.
    There have been some (very good) evolutions in the gameplay mechanic too, especially when it comes to dual wielding and jumping compared to DaS1. The whole player summoning/invading experience has also been streamlined to perfection, nearly no technical glitches (as was unfortunately the case in Demon's Souls).
    Only thing I did not favor was the story and characters. You meet characters but there's not really a lot of evolution in them through the storyline compared to previous games (Ostrava/Praise the Sun). And for the story, half the time you come out of an area beating up enemies but having no clue on the background of the area or the enemy. This was already the case in DaS1 but here's area for improvement.
    But still, it's a relatively minor note, the game is well worth the time you spend into it, so highly recommended.
  73. Mar 24, 2014
    Dark souls 2 is a great game worth buying and playing. The gameplay feels much like the dark souls with some minor adjustments. Nothing to complain about in terms of gameplay and because the game is very fun to play. This game runs smoother than previous ones and you wont have frame rate issues like dark souls 1 ( blight town). The graphics feels sligthly better than the previous games butDark souls 2 is a great game worth buying and playing. The gameplay feels much like the dark souls with some minor adjustments. Nothing to complain about in terms of gameplay and because the game is very fun to play. This game runs smoother than previous ones and you wont have frame rate issues like dark souls 1 ( blight town). The graphics feels sligthly better than the previous games but its not that much of a diffrence. I dont know why people are complaining about graphic downgradges because graphics are not that important in this types of games, sure it nice with awsome lighting and so on but in this types of games , grahics dont matter so much. The game is what you expect it to be for a Soul game so every fan of the previous game should get this. I dont know if it was me who were prepared for this game than previous ones but I felt it was easier to complete this one. It could be that i was more experienced with the game mechanics and so on but I fel this one was easier.
    Even if this game has improved a lot from previous entries in the series , I felt it lost some things on the way. There a lot of bosses in this game and I mean a lot!, but few of them is as impresseive as dark souls 1 bosses. A lot of them had similiar behaviours and attacks and were easy to predict. There were some cool ones but overall I felt dissapointed with some bosses and I left wanting more. Another issue I had with this game was the world. Dark souls 1 was so beautiful made, everything part of the world was connected with each other and you always found new places, secrets and so on even after 100hours.This game world was huge but it did not have the same mystery as the world in dark souls 1.I think the fast travel system made the game easier and made the world feeling apart, the diffrent places were not connected to each other like ds1.
    After all the game is really good, I only had issue with bosses and the world, this was my opinion and I bet there are other who thinks diffent, overallt this game is worthy of the soul series and I cant wait to dive back into world again even If i have played for 100+hours
  74. Mar 23, 2014
    Such an improvement over the first IMO. The combat is so much smoother then before, you are always very much in control of your character. Everything feels miles better, I can actually get into PVP now, and there is just such a great feeling playing this game that wasn't quite there with the original. Its hard enough to make you think, but never makes you break your controller... mostly...Such an improvement over the first IMO. The combat is so much smoother then before, you are always very much in control of your character. Everything feels miles better, I can actually get into PVP now, and there is just such a great feeling playing this game that wasn't quite there with the original. Its hard enough to make you think, but never makes you break your controller... mostly...

All and all, such a great sequel. Only reason its getting a 9 instead of a ten is because of how the targeting controls have gotten me killed a lot, but that's my only gripe.
  75. Mar 28, 2014
    Dark souls 2 is a great game in a lot of ways. Firstly here is nothing more tense then running back to your body to reclaim all your souls knowing one false move and that's it, you will have no souls and no means of upgrading your equipment or levelling up, every corner you turn in dark souls 2 you are faced with a fairly big chance of dying. Secondly, the sheer amount of lore the game hasDark souls 2 is a great game in a lot of ways. Firstly here is nothing more tense then running back to your body to reclaim all your souls knowing one false move and that's it, you will have no souls and no means of upgrading your equipment or levelling up, every corner you turn in dark souls 2 you are faced with a fairly big chance of dying. Secondly, the sheer amount of lore the game has is immense but unfortunately they don't incorporate it very well to some new to the series or have not read back ground information before hand, but every single item, enemy and area has a lot of lore and they also leave a lot of doors open to speculate what it actually means. The sense of exploration is also great, and combat is much improved. Pvp seems a bigger focus which I'm not all that happy about but it's tolerable. Unfortunately I find it almost impossible to play his game without using a guide in terms of where to go, there's so many different routes and paths to take, for someone like me that likes having a set goal it can be frustrating, but other players would enjoy hat aspect so I suppose that point is open to debate. The game seems easier to start with however, you can up the difficulty by joining a certain covenant so those that feel the game is too easy look no further, I have also heared beating the game with no deaths earns you a nice reward so that's something to aim towards too. Npc's have a lot of backstorys aswell although the game is quite vague as to how to progress heir story lines, just speak to them till they start repeating themselves, and regularly spend souls at he merchants, and don't kill anyone who doesent attack you before looking online as it could potentially 'ruin' your playthrough. In he end, I think this game is a must buy whether your into difficult games with a great sense of reward, people who love exploring or people that just love fantasy games, dark souls 2 is almost as good as the developers could accomplish, I really hope this isn't the last souls game as I think the series still has so much to give, also, if you take my advice on using a walk through, watch epicnamebro, he is by far the best souls commentator on YouTube and his walk through is great, and he also worked on the official guide on the lore side of things so he will talk you through all the lore in the game as he plays. Expand
  76. Mar 31, 2014
    The horror,the depth,the secrets,the bosses,the darkness,dragons,skeletons,loot,''you died','you died'' -again,and again,again...The joy and rewards when you move forward,the even bigger diff then dark souls 1,the pve,the pvp,the co-op,The story on items,walls,in the air.The world that is so dark has the most beautifull soul that i've seen in my life.This game is for us with souls toThe horror,the depth,the secrets,the bosses,the darkness,dragons,skeletons,loot,''you died','you died'' -again,and again,again...The joy and rewards when you move forward,the even bigger diff then dark souls 1,the pve,the pvp,the co-op,The story on items,walls,in the air.The world that is so dark has the most beautifull soul that i've seen in my life.This game is for us with souls to give,not for casuals,but that's true love for the players,other companies have a lot to learn from 'from' .Dark souls has great pricelles soul,thank you 'from',you are Leonardo da Vinci of our time. Expand
  77. Apr 29, 2014
    From Software took all the good things about Demon's Souls and Dark Souls and combined them to make one of the best sequels they possibly could. This time around, instant fast travel and despawning enemies can allow the game to feel more approachable to play, while still maintaining the game on a fairly challenging level. Although this entry didn't feel nearly as hard as the first two,From Software took all the good things about Demon's Souls and Dark Souls and combined them to make one of the best sequels they possibly could. This time around, instant fast travel and despawning enemies can allow the game to feel more approachable to play, while still maintaining the game on a fairly challenging level. Although this entry didn't feel nearly as hard as the first two, this has a steadier framerate, more fluent controls, more emotionally involved storyline, and a world that is roughly twice the size of Dark Souls 1. Although the main path of Dark Souls 2 felt around the same length, I think it just happened to have more optional areas and boss fights than that of 1.
    One thing that I really appreciated in this one was that New Game+ wasn't forced upon me immediately after the end credits were finished. It actually gives you the option to continue exploring the rest of the game and let's you decide whether or not you ever want to start New Game+ by visiting Majula's bonfire, I felt this game had way more freedom of choice because of this.
    But this game is still far from perfect. I've reported a few hit detection and auto-lock problems across my so-far 87 hours of total playtime. My biggest complaint was that there were a couple specific areas that forced me into PvP matchmaking, when all I want to do is explore the whole world in peace. I don't mind at all getting invaded at anytime, but when the game sets areas to automatically trigger invasions or send me to some other player's world the second I set foot in that particular area, I consider that a flawed design choice: forced multiplayer.
    Other than those issues, I think From Software hit all the right notes with this one. I know a lot of gamers complained about the graphics downgrade. First of all, this isn't next gen, and this still at least looks a little better than the last entry. And second of all, graphics alone have never been what made video games great. It's the gameplay. This is a fantastic game. It is head and shoulders above at least 90% of all the other games out on the market right now. It's a serious contender for a 2014 Game of the Year winner.

9/10 - Amazing
  78. May 6, 2014
    A very pretty and great game, gameplay wise. Yet it has one issue- it just doesn't FEEL like a Souls game. It is hard to describe. The bosses are either too easy or generic. Voice acting is great, the hidden walls and secrets are wonderful. Music is great. It was really just the bosses and some technological issues, like graphics and bad hitboxes on some weapons. PVP has someA very pretty and great game, gameplay wise. Yet it has one issue- it just doesn't FEEL like a Souls game. It is hard to describe. The bosses are either too easy or generic. Voice acting is great, the hidden walls and secrets are wonderful. Music is great. It was really just the bosses and some technological issues, like graphics and bad hitboxes on some weapons. PVP has some issues with it's structuring. Otherwise an enjoyable game that I would recommend to any Souls fan as it improves on some gameplay and lore. Also REALLY make you regret some decisions. Trust me. Expand
  79. May 21, 2014
    Better than the previous Souls games in basically every way. Controls are more responsive, but you might not notice when it comes to dodging if you don't raise your agility stat. Melee is still king but magic and especially faith casters are more viable.
  80. May 23, 2014
    The game is mainly really good and i've spent a good 200 hours on it. I am a huge Souls fan and spent a lot of hours on Demon's Souls but mainly Dark Souls: Prepare to die edition. The problem is that i can't seem to get the same feeling with Dark souls II as i did with the first two first games. The story doesn't seem as rich and mysterious and in my opinion the pvp is not as good as DkSThe game is mainly really good and i've spent a good 200 hours on it. I am a huge Souls fan and spent a lot of hours on Demon's Souls but mainly Dark Souls: Prepare to die edition. The problem is that i can't seem to get the same feeling with Dark souls II as i did with the first two first games. The story doesn't seem as rich and mysterious and in my opinion the pvp is not as good as DkS 1 as many unintentional "features" like reverse roll and other things that made the pvp more interesting in the first game have been removed. I think that much of this "feeling"/ atmosphere issue is due to the game not being directed by Hidetaka Miyazaki anymore. Ultimately i can't see how this game could get higher rating than Dark Souls 1 or Demon's Souls so i can't give it over an 8. Overall i'd still say that it's probably one of the best RPGs that will be released this year. Expand
  81. May 27, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is a epic game ! Dark souls 2 is a game RPG-ACTION with Darkness theme , the best thing in the game is a insane difficulty presented in all game! Expand
  82. Aug 4, 2014
    Dead met again. This is the life choice of a generation. Winner of 10000 game of the year awards and hailed as king trump, there`s no passing this behemoth. Its not a matter if you want to or not, you have to play this game or (what?) Fin
  83. Sep 25, 2014
    They are all tens, but playing this made me realize that demons souls is a 12. Hardcore, and penalizing, but so we'll integrated that it becomes part of the game. The atmosphere is like nothing else you've ever played. If you haven't played demons souls play it first, but the entire series is worth it.
  84. Sep 27, 2014
    When you pick up any Dark Souls games, make sure your girlfriend and your friends know you will be absent from any social engagement for at least a month. That's how addictive the game is. The graphics have improved but really who cares? We've had so much hype on "pretty" to look at games with not substance lately. Dark Souls delivers in the core game play and mechanics. Its been coined "AWhen you pick up any Dark Souls games, make sure your girlfriend and your friends know you will be absent from any social engagement for at least a month. That's how addictive the game is. The graphics have improved but really who cares? We've had so much hype on "pretty" to look at games with not substance lately. Dark Souls delivers in the core game play and mechanics. Its been coined "A Game for Gamers' and that's exactly what it is. The best to date RPG and delivers an adrenaline rush comparable to FPS games. The first time I've felt challenged in this genre and first game I've bought on multiple Platforms 10/10

The next big thing for FromSoftware is to venture into a MMORPG with this gameplay and you will snatch all the constituency from WoW, Skyrim & the very promising Dragon Age.
  85. Oct 6, 2014
    THE game for adults to play without feeling like an over-grown kid messing about with toys. Same goes for the rest of the series and hopefully upcoming Bloodborne!
  86. Oct 14, 2014
    Challenging but fair game, which has unique online features, and high replay value.

I had no experience from previous souls-titles, so this concept was really fresh for me. Game forces player to think for strategies to engage enemies, and rushing leads often to death. This is one of many things in the game, that may be surprising for beginners of genre. So prepare to play this game with lots of spare time, and patience.

But each time when you defeat a challenging boss,obtain new abilities/gear, or discover new area, the rewarding feeling makes you return to this game many times.

Lengthy +40h campaign has many different areas, countless bosses, and different enemy types and secrets to keep the adventure fresh for the duration of whole journey.

Few reasons why i can't give this game rating of 10, are following:

-Music
    It's only played during boss fights and very few areas of game. Of course, lack of music may keep you at the edge of action and exploration, but I seriously think, that added music would enhance the atmosphere and world of Drangleic.

-Story
    There really aren't any cutscenes which involve dialogue or action to tell the story for players, and your only option is to keep reading the lore of your equipment, from inventory menu, which is really a shame, because this unique world could easily have been the next middle-earth or Hogwarts.

-Graphics
    Game may look really pale when compared to another titles released at the same year.

-Lack of options for game settings
    If you want help from other players in online mode, prepare yourself for being invaded by other players. It would've been nice to have an option to only have co-op, and turn of PVP. And even if you're playing this game offline, you can't actually pause the game. This may be frustrating when you're in middle of fight, and your phone rings, but the action can't be paused, and you may end up dying, and being sent to last checkpoint, because lack of pause-function.
  87. Oct 24, 2014
    To save you some time I'll start with this: if you enjoyed or didn't enjoy the first Dark Souls and, to a lesser extent, the spiritual progenitor of Demon's Souls you will probably feel the same way about Dark Souls 2. Dark Souls 2 is a little less punishing, a little less dreaery and slightly more upbeat at times but is the same basic experience of learning through trial and error.

In

In terms of presentation Dark Souls 2 falls under the good, not technically great category much like its two predecessors. The world is rich and fun to look at with varying landscapes that range from jagged cliffs overlooking a sea to half destroyed castles to cavernous harbors. The enemies, especially the bosses, are a delight to see during combat. The sound effects are for the most part well done, and the voice acting is, again, mostly well done. The cast of characters in the world are well acted but occasionally speaking to an NPC they don't quite sound right. The sound effects are the same, weighty and well done, but occasionally just won't sound right, such as when you hit your weapon against a wall. While stylistically the graphics are well done, they aren't technically amazing.

But the Dark Souls games aren't about the technical prowess of the graphics or the sound effects, they are about the sharp, responsive combat and hostile world that it takes place in. I have never encountered a game with the same level of responsiveness to what you want to do, or more accurately what you press on the controller. The responsiveness makes the game feel fair and balanced despite the challenge the world presents. Enemies are powerful and varied, forcing you to learn to adapt to each one as you encounter them. While the enemies are challenging, none of them are hard enough to prove frustrating once you learn how to deal with them. The game does a good job of feeling difficult while rarely crossing over into feeling unfair, DLC aside. At a certain point you learn how to beat the enemies, you have the responsiveness in the controls to beat them, and enemies are generally not dense enough for you to be swarmed if you're smart. The game is challenging, but gives you all the tools to succeed if you learn as you go.

There are a good variety of weapons, armors and spells at your disposal to figure out how you want to play the game. To me, this is the games greatest strength. You can play how you want and how fits you. There are a variety of weapons that all act differently, various armors and shields with different bonuses and a magic system broken into three categories. There is the more standard magical spell fair, miracles which are lightning based attacks or support spells powered by faith instead of intelligence and hexes which are black magic spells that focus on death and destruction. As you progress you can gain more powerful legendary, unique items and spells and upgrade those and the more basic and legendary items and spells. There are also various stones that you are able to imbue items with later on in the game that allow those items to gain certain properties. From the interactions I've had with various people online everyone ends up playing differently, with their own gear and combat style preferences

Online is well done, but very atypically. You are able to both help or hinder other players by putting down soapstone markings to allow players to summon you to help them in combat or you are able to invade the worlds of other players in an attempt to kill them and steal their souls. Invasions are a duel style combat where you can possibly steal whatever souls the other player has on them. Cooperation is rewarded through gaining souls alongside the person you are helping, which can be a great way to gather a lot of souls quickly by helping another player slay bosses. The interactions are combat focused with little communication unless you send a message outside the game to the other person which is possible since you see their username. The communications are generally friendly ("Hey, thanks for helping me") but can occasionally be nasty, but it's nothing a block user can't solve. Online has been thinning out, as it does with each of these games, as time passes so it's not as easy to interact with other players online.

The story is fairly barebones and mostly communicated by speaking to NPC's and reading descriptions, as the series always has been, and somewhere along the line the story dissipates. You start off with a vague task of returning back to the world you know, but along the way that is lost in "doing stuff" to try to survive and progress. By the end of the game the goal you had is different from what you do and really there is little cohesion to the plot, though you probably won't notice.

The game has great replayability. After each game you can start over with the game changing a little, with slight changes in the world and carrying over gear and progress. The game is an immense value, worth a definite buy.
  88. Feb 16, 2015
    Awesome game! Tons of fun and the best way to get into the souls series. Exciting game-play interesting environments and enemies. An awesome game through and through.
  89. Mar 19, 2014
    Dark Souls 2 is the most rewarding and challenging game I have ever played in my life. It barely ever strays from greatness and for good reason. Prepare to die.... again.
  90. Apr 16, 2014
    Dark Souls II improves on its predecessor by optimizing its mechanics and providing an even bigger world this time around. Tons more areas, enemies, npcs, and bosses. Dark Souls II like Dark Souls is a game you truly appreciate the more time you put into it. The longer you persevere in its world, the more rewards it will reveal. To truly understand its complexity and scale, you have toDark Souls II improves on its predecessor by optimizing its mechanics and providing an even bigger world this time around. Tons more areas, enemies, npcs, and bosses. Dark Souls II like Dark Souls is a game you truly appreciate the more time you put into it. The longer you persevere in its world, the more rewards it will reveal. To truly understand its complexity and scale, you have to fully experience the game in its entirety. I look forward to where From Software takes this series next! If you enjoyed the previous games, you will enjoy Dark Souls II. The reason I didn't give it a perfect score was because it didn't feel as memorable as Demon Souls and Dark Souls. Although its nice to see a developer put some much work into the game, it felt bloated and the game became exhausting to complete. Also, the last few areas of the game felt very random and out of place. Still, considering how much content is in the game, its amazing how much work the developers put into the game. If you are a fan of the series or mature dark fantasy, you will enjoy this game! Expand
  91. Mar 18, 2014
    The most balanced game yet, a blend of both demon and dark souls yet feels ever more refreshed. Levels show enough diversity and graphics are updated. Combat is fair and punishing at the same time, always leaving you the option to go elsewhere in case of the challenge proves too much, bosses are easier yet some feel re-skinned. No soul glitch in which level 700's invade you making it allThe most balanced game yet, a blend of both demon and dark souls yet feels ever more refreshed. Levels show enough diversity and graphics are updated. Combat is fair and punishing at the same time, always leaving you the option to go elsewhere in case of the challenge proves too much, bosses are easier yet some feel re-skinned. No soul glitch in which level 700's invade you making it all about fairness. Expand
  92. Mar 15, 2014
    Sigh...

Why do FROM need to ruin Dark Souls? They had something great going for them. All I can say is, what the heck did they do to the respawn system?! It goes against everything that an RPG and Dark Souls 1 stands for. It's called a ROLE PLAYING GAME for a reason. You cannot farm EQUIPMENT from monsters anymore (goodbye RPG!), you cannot farm SOULS from monsters anymore
    Sigh...

Why do FROM need to ruin Dark Souls?

It's called a ROLE PLAYING GAME for a reason. You cannot farm EQUIPMENT from monsters anymore (goodbye RPG!), you cannot farm SOULS from monsters anymore (goodbye RPG!), you cannot develop PLAYER SKILL by killing mobs a lot of times (goodbye RPG!).

What this entails for the rest of us, FROM is basically forcing us to play ONLINE so we can get more souls from coop. (GOODBYE PLAYER FREEDOM). Those who play offline basically get the short end of the stick.

Why FROM? Why!!
  93. Mar 11, 2014
    the legend never stop, i think souls series is the best series ever made(even more then ME series),be sure to buy it for PC, this time the consoles are the port
  94. Mar 11, 2014
    This is not the best RPG history, this is not the best action game history. This is the best game in the truest sense. Imagination, fantasy, exploration and investigation of detail and stacking your own story. These players Mass Effect or Skyrim could never understand. Dark Souls II is a continuation of refined work of art.
  95. Mar 13, 2014
    this game is awesome. the only reason i didnt give a 10 is, wheres the thief class??? WTF?
    bandit? adventurer? deprived?? come on now.............
  96. Apr 30, 2014
    While most games tend to hold your hand throughout the game, this game release its grip and leaves you to journey out the beautifully designed world. Most games wouldn't do it as it seems a risk, but this game delivers a once in a lifetime experience or true hardcore gaming.
  97. Jul 30, 2014
    I enjoy the game, but I extremely dislike the spell (Hex) Affinity. It's extremely overpowered now, as i have over 2,000 health (2,533) and I get one-shot by it. If only FromSoftware would nerf it...
  98. Mar 22, 2014
    takes everything good from the past two games, polishes & expands them, & presents them perfectly with rich visuals, sounds & series best atmosphere.
    The world seems more sorted now, connected yet different, open & larger, & bonfire quick-travel ties it brilliantly.
    The types of enemies has increased, so has weapons-items & number of NPCs. Bosses are still unique & intimidating. From Software have maintained quality while increasing quantity!
    Apart from dual-wielding & sorcery getting boosts, combat's unchanged. Equally difficult, yet rewarding. Now smoother & somewhat accessible.
  99. Apr 25, 2014
    Dark Souls II is difficult. In fact, it's probably the most difficult game I've ever played in my life, but I enjoyed every second of it.

While off-putting at first, Dark Souls II pulls you in with it's exacting gameplay, brutal difficulty and rewarding bosses, every time I finally defeated a beautifully designed boss I felt I actually accomplished something, and I can't say that for most games I've played.

One of my only gripes with the game is that at times it is difficult to know where to go next, while I respect that they don't explain much I wish that they would have at least given me a general direction of where to go next.

In my opinion, this is my first Game Of The Year contender for 2014.
  100. May 14, 2014
    The TRUE GAMERS GAME. Not for gamers that are NOT true gamers. I love the idea that if you want to find out who is a true gamer and who is not amongst your friends and co workers, this is the game to seperate the fake from the real, the boys from the girls. Fight or flight,

1. Pelit (Finland)
    May 11, 2014
    Dark Souls 2 bears the torch of Dark Souls with honor. No mean feat! [Apr 2014]
  2. Apr 16, 2014
    Even more amazing, and difficult, than Dark Souls.
  3. Apr 16, 2014
    At the end of the day, Dark Souls II uses more subtle changes to find its own flavor and place in the series as a whole, rather than reinventing the wheel.