Dark Souls II PlayStation 3

8.1

1. Apr 16, 2014
    Dark Souls II improves on its predecessor by optimizing its mechanics and providing an even bigger world this time around. Tons more areas, enemies, npcs, and bosses. Dark Souls II like Dark Souls is a game you truly appreciate the more time you put into it. The longer you persevere in its world, the more rewards it will reveal. To truly understand its complexity and scale, you have toDark Souls II improves on its predecessor by optimizing its mechanics and providing an even bigger world this time around. Tons more areas, enemies, npcs, and bosses. Dark Souls II like Dark Souls is a game you truly appreciate the more time you put into it. The longer you persevere in its world, the more rewards it will reveal. To truly understand its complexity and scale, you have to fully experience the game in its entirety. I look forward to where From Software takes this series next! If you enjoyed the previous games, you will enjoy Dark Souls II. The reason I didn't give it a perfect score was because it didn't feel as memorable as Demon Souls and Dark Souls. Although its nice to see a developer put some much work into the game, it felt bloated and the game became exhausting to complete. Also, the last few areas of the game felt very random and out of place. Still, considering how much content is in the game, its amazing how much work the developers put into the game. If you are a fan of the series or mature dark fantasy, you will enjoy this game! Expand
  2. Jun 19, 2017
    A continuation of Dark Souls. Another well crafted game from From Software. They are easily making themselves as one of the best companies working today. With challenging combat, intriguing story, and superb bosses this game will last you hours upon hours.
  3. Mar 2, 2015
    Thank you Dark Souls II and Dark Souls for one of the most amazing RPG experiences i'll probably ever play!...The frame rate issues are on both games (ps3) but that's not enough reason to rate bad score for it, because the gameplay, the bosses, the locations, the items, the story... can't be ignored!
  4. Dec 1, 2014
    Update: Having now played the predecessor, I found much of the lore, visuals, and even level concepts to be reused in DSII. It makes way less sense in terms of world design, and everything that seemed carefully thought out in Dark Souls seems thrown into II as "hey this idea could be pretty cool too!". Ultimately, Dark Souls is a more artful game. For this, I subtract one point from theUpdate: Having now played the predecessor, I found much of the lore, visuals, and even level concepts to be reused in DSII. It makes way less sense in terms of world design, and everything that seemed carefully thought out in Dark Souls seems thrown into II as "hey this idea could be pretty cool too!". Ultimately, Dark Souls is a more artful game. For this, I subtract one point from the score.

( written July 2014: )
    Even after nearly 50 hours, there were still a few optional areas to beat, plus multiplayer battles. That kind of longevity is impressive in such an intense action game. The areas are varied and offers many surprises. The game rarely moves focus from the action, however, and there are loads of action games for PS3, so I'm not sure DS2 is a standout. In terms of artwork and scope, it's phenomenal, but the story and the non-action gameplay could have been more expertly crafted and brought more into focus.

One optional but significant puzzle was so unintuitive that I feel inclined to subtract a whole point for it. The whole non-combat part exists in the background and only pops up when you interact with the environment, or when the story takes a subtle turn. The game ended abruptly, beautifully but without much closure. There's a Youtube critique done by 'Matthewmatosis' which explains very well how DS2 is far from perfect. It contains spoilers, so I'm just gonna tell you that there are lots of little things, and that the story doesn't really make any sense apart from the very broad strokes. Oh yeah, and the bosses are similar, and pretty much all enemies require the same approach in melee, no strategies or variations required. Just dodge, strike and repeat, with an occasional healing item thrown in.

Overall, the game is a pretty, bombastic, fantastic spectacle. But is that all we should expect from visual media, eye candy?... When it could be a problem-simulator, a laboratory, a true playground. Instead, it forces you through hours of slashing and bashing on similar objects. It pretends to be more serious and deeper than a CoD game, but in the end, it plays on the same strengths, which is to impress with spectacle. There could be a deep message in there, as well as some playful and curious mechanics. Maybe that stuff is just reserved for other genres
  5. Apr 3, 2014
    Dark Souls 2 is an amazing sequel and a great fantasy journey through the murky, forgotten land of Drangleic. It might be the weakest chapter of the Souls series, but still better than anything RPG genre has to offer these days and still perfectly capable of consuming hundreds of your gaming hours.

Level design... that reached the levels of pure genius in previous Souls games has been slightly reduced and it tries to compensate with quantity. In result, there is a huge chunk of content here, almost twice the size of previous titles, but while there are still some really nice locations (Brightstone, Heide, Dragon Shrine...) it just doesn't feel as impressive as cleverly interconnected world of DS1, where you were just blown away by the locations and felt that every little corner is there for a reason.

Atmosphere... has been watered down a bit. Partly because of the level design, it's not as dark and terrifying as before, but also because of some wrong game design choices. Warping between bonfires right from the start just ruins the sense of traveling and it reduces the sense of danger. Remembering the times of original DS where I was stuck in The Depths, cursed with halved HP and with no way to get out of there, that feeling of horror and hopelessness is just gone, because Bonfires are now everywhere and you can easily heal and teleport to safety anytime.

Bosses & enemies... suffer the same fate of Quantity > Quality as the locations. There are many of them, and some are quite cool (The Chariot, Ancient Dragon..), but those impressive epic battles of DS1 like Sif or Ornstein & Smough that would challenge me even for the whole day are just not here anymore. 3 honorable exceptions kind enough for actually kicking my ass and killing me a few times are Ruin Sentinels, Darklurker and Ancient Dragon. Thank you guys.

Difficulty... surrounds every souls game notorious for their hardcore style. While still challenging, the challenge here is mostly optional, either by using Bonfire Ascetics or by joining a Covenant of Champions, that both strengthen the enemies. DS2 is definitely the most accessible for newcomers, nothing wrong with that, but all those review lines like "Harder and more difficult than ever" are just a total joke. The problem is that after a few kills enemies just stop respawning, so you can easily kill out everyone in the area and have a free cakewalk to boss, something you could never do in previous titles. Option to load yourself with neverending supply of lifegems also hurt a lot.

Combat system... is still as intact as ever, but this has been mostly copied from the original, only with even more weapons and cool looking armor sets. Magic has always been more in a support role in Souls, it works great as a support in the form of miracles for clerics, or for the occasional fire apocalypse via pyromancy, but playing Souls games as a pure caster has always been a snoozefest.

Graphics... are looking good. Coming from the hi-res PC version of Dark Souls 1, it's true the textures here are definitely low-res, smudged and simple in places, but at least the frame rate is constantly good and that's far more important. These consoles are 7 years old hardware, so it's understandable they had to sacrifice something. Definitely looking forward to the hi-res PC release.

Music... is imo the least impressive from the trilogy and the biggest disappointment for me. Few nice tunes (Chariot, Credits), but mostly forgettable and with no real mood to set for those bosses. Music is going downhill in Souls series, amazing in DeS, really good in DS1 and it is just ok in DS2.

Story & Characters... The lore and not so in your face story telling these games are known for is still here and it's amazing to put all the pieces together. Especially if you know the background story and lore of the original Dark Souls, so you can get all the references and historical connections. DS2 didn't disappoint, lots of different themes, throwbacks, brand new bunch of strange and interesting characters.. fully satisfied here.

Covenant system and PVP... is one of the few improvements over the original. It's recommended to really try out all Covenants (you can switch between them without any problems or penalties). Those who prefer Souls games primarily for the multiplayer will be very happy. Specifically Bell Keepers and Rat King covenants has been the source of fun for countless hours.

New Game+... is another significant upgrade along with the Bonfire Ascetic system, after playing through this game once, NG+ not only strengthens the enemies, but it adds brand new ones, changes things a bit, adds new spells/items and so on. This is a pleasant change and it improves the overall replayability a bit.

In the end, DS2 has many problems (some could be easily avoided), but FromSoftware had a hard job of following up to one of the best games of all time and they created an amazing piece of work that is well worth the full score of - 10/10
  6. Apr 10, 2015
    To preface, I've played Demon's and Dark souls extensively, have finished both as numerous classes, and would rate them as two of the best games ever made. It's pretty telling that 4 hours into my first game of DaS II, I ejected the disc and started playing Demon's Souls again.

This sequel has nothing that the previous games did that made them great, none of the tone and atmosphere is present, the lucid, elegant design is gone and it looks like a dull, generic, "dark (derp) fantasy" RPG which happens to have the words "Dark Souls" on the box. It's more Dark Souls for the sake of Dark Souls, and it feels like it was made by people who didn't 'get' why the original game(s) were so good. It doesn't feel like a Souls game, and it doesn't really look like one. So as if it could get any more unoriginal, the player is dragged through yet further iterations of the Valley of Defilement/Blighttown and Lost Izalith/Demon Ruins.

Somehow parry/riposte and backstab has been ruined, enemies have the most ridiculous, insulting tracking, even when landing an overhead blow (they can literally follow you 360 degrees), hitboxes are an absolute joke, weapons and armoured characters act as though don't carry any weight and world progression is catastrophically obtuse. A lot of the time I had no idea where I was going, why I was going there, or what was going on. The game is constantly wanting me to guess what it's thinking which results in my most hated solution: boring and systematic elimination of possibilities. I constantly had to refer to a guide because there are so many leaps in logic/impasses I felt stunned into disbelief. Contrast with DaS, which subtly and economically keeps the player informed of where they need to be going next, either by means of a short cutscene, or talking with a certain NPC.

AI is incredibly stupid, especially on NPC summons, who are borderline useless and seem to just crane their necks to watch whatever 30ft tall monster we're fighting smash them into a Drangleic pancake. You could never accuse DeS or DaS of cheap, artificial difficulty, but this game has loads of it, introducing awkward mobs of enemies (even in bossfights) instead of actual challenge. Most bosses are unimaginative and repeated (Gargoyles, Ornstein, Queelag's Scorpion cousin) and some, like the Iron King and Royal Rat Authority verge on cheap bullsh*t. FromSoft obviously heard everyone loved the Ornstein & Smough fight, so every other bossfight is a fu*king tag-team, also, most of them seem to have the exact same moveset. Do not get me started on the latency, lag filled puddle of watery faecal matter that is PVP.

So the first 5-10 hours were most offputting, just awful bland areas and dull enemies. However in places it does become a semi-enjoyable dungeon crawler. Co-op is still good, in fact I had the most fun helping others defeat bosses, except where the game forbids you from dropping your sign because 'f**k you, you're doing this one solo". If it had a different name on the box, reception would be completely different. Dark Souls II does NOTHING better than the first game(s), and gets most of what it should get right, wrong. Bad design, bland, forgettable, most irritating game I played in 2014/15. Thankfully, this one has high resale value, I have no desire to ever touch or even finish it ever again.
  7. Apr 30, 2014
    While most games tend to hold your hand throughout the game, this game release its grip and leaves you to journey out the beautifully designed world. Most games wouldn't do it as it seems a risk, but this game delivers a once in a lifetime experience or true hardcore gaming.
  8. Apr 23, 2015
    While it is a good game compared to its predecessors it is a disappoitment. The riposte system is akward and the level design is not anywhere near Dark Souls.
  9. Mar 19, 2014
    I love it,but can't help but feel that some things are a little off...The hit detection animations seem mildly out-of-time and there seems to be little farming opportunities.PvP has become suddenly annoying and the HP reduction system is baffling.The worst new thing is the finite enemies and the less than seamless world.It's still great,just not as excellent as the others.
  10. Jul 6, 2015
    Let's be honest here. The difficulty level in this game is mostly the clunky combat. And even when you have that done to a fine art of clunkyness, you have to go to your campfire and reset the whole level while you rest your weapon. Yes, your weapon isn't very good for a while so you have to take your time, attack the same enemies, rinse and repeat. It has its moments of satisfaction,Let's be honest here. The difficulty level in this game is mostly the clunky combat. And even when you have that done to a fine art of clunkyness, you have to go to your campfire and reset the whole level while you rest your weapon. Yes, your weapon isn't very good for a while so you have to take your time, attack the same enemies, rinse and repeat. It has its moments of satisfaction, but those time are literally few and far in between. Plus, the Japanese have a very strange sense of story telling. Not bad, just strange. It's like watching one of their commercials. Not a bad game overall, but I just don't have the patience to go through hours of boredom to finish this game. Expand
  11. Apr 15, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. [Condensed]

All in all, truth be told it is the atmosphere and not specifically the difficulty and challenge that makes the title a blast to play- although I am sure those other factors rank highly up there as well. I thoroughly enjoyed the greater sense of freedom I was given in my approaches to combat and exploration, as well as the rare helping hands reaching out to help as well. We are only a third of the way through this year's impressive games list, and yet I already feel as if Dark Souls II will maintain its large impact all the way through despite the stiff competition it will surely be facing. One thing is for certain: I'll still be playing it come next March. After all, I'm still playing the original!

Concept: Explore a new yet familiar and similar setting- akin to the story and exploration of the first Dark Souls title, and embark upon a quest to rid the world of its misery and to gain power through it as you progress. Engage in challenging combat and experience an intriguing and engrossing story- experienced, not told.

Graphics: Impressively detailed and varied, both in environments and character models.

Sound: Between the epic scores for momentous occasions and stealthy segments to the general ambiance, the sound work is quite impressive and even the little creaks and tremors were impressively detailed in there fullness.

Playability: The challenges will be difficult, yet it isn't anything that can't be overcome through patience and a general grasping of the firm handling of the controls set before you. After you establish a solid foundation, you'll progress slowly but surely regardless of overall skill. But that doesn't make it any easier on you or your character, be warned.

Entertainment: This is not only a highly anticipated sequel but an amazing stand-alone title and it must be played to be enjoyed. Challenging yet fair, firm yet helpful at times. An impressively detailed and epic adventure in an expansive and deadly world.

Replay Value: Very High.

Overall Score: 9.5
  12. Aug 18, 2014
    Changing my review based on the hype train that I was on before.. I beat the game many many times.
    I will say that it isn't nearly as good as the first Dark Souls in my opinion..
    The world itself is really linear and some of which does not make sense ( elevator up to a volcano) It lacks the creative excellence of the world design from Dark Souls 1.. Dark Souls 1s world was expertly
    I will say that it isn't nearly as good as the first Dark Souls in my opinion..

It lacks the creative excellence of the world design from Dark Souls 1.. Dark Souls 1s world was expertly crafted so everything interconnected with each other and actually comparing the map viewer of these two games, you can clearly see that Dark Souls 1 was well thought out while Dark Souls 2 was not.

The bosses do not compare to the first Dark Souls either. Most bosses are boring to fight, you can circle almost every boss without consequence . All bosses pretty well have the same move-set if you pay attention.

Hitboxes are worse in this game than the first, and a game that is centered around its combat it has to be good, and in Dark Souls. Also, enemies spin/track you without moving their feet, it looks pretty bad.

The game was just fan-service, I am also tired of people talking about difficulty as if that was the thing that made the series good... NO!.. Veterans of the series who watched interviews from Miyazaki would know that the series was never suppose to be about its difficulty, it was about overcoming a challenge and then being rewarded for it. They were very challenging games, but Dark Souls 2 tries too hard to be difficult just for the sake of being difficult. It is not a difficult game but you can clearly see that they tried to make it hard just by adding hoards of enemies that you have to fight, and most people will not fight them with melee so they cheese the hell out of these enemies, making it boring...
    In Dark Souls 1 you could cheese everything too, but you actually wanted to fight stuff int hat game, not like Dark Souls 2 where you either cheese an enemy or you just run passed everything.

For people who like to manage their soul level ( which was a big part of Dark Souls and Demon Souls) are forced to level up or try and run from all enemies in the game because they do not want to increase their soul memory. For these people there is little to no reason to fight any of the enemies, or even help people with bosses.
    They broke their own mechanic of hollowing, you can now have a ring that if you die, you will not lose anything, Dark SOuls had this too but once it broke it was gone forever, Dark Souls 2 you could just keep repairing the ring which most people do and thus ruining the effigy system.

There is no fear of losing your souls once you get that ring and as I said before, most people will use it , as you can tell because every time I invade someone you hear their ring break when they die.

The duel wielding/ power stance weapons are very cool and I'm glad they finally implemented it.

Now, don;t get me wrong it is still a good game but Dark Souls 2 lost its "soul" and I can go on and on about the faults of this game, but I will leave it there. I still like the game but it just feels like it has hit casual status( not talking a but difficulty)

--- I will note that this has nothing to do with "Rose tinted glasses" I played Demon Souls 1st and I enjoyed the first Dark Souls slightly better. I fail to see how anyone can think Dark Souls 2 is better. Dark Souls 2 has more content but half the quality, and I take quality over quantity any day..
  13. Apr 9, 2014
    Dark Souls II is a beautiful game and is much better than its predecessor! However, it is still uncompromisingly hard! Which for some people may not be a negative thing... but for me it is! Now i'm not saying I don't love a good challenge cause by all means i do! I just believe that games are supposed to be fun experiences that grab you, draw you in and connect you to the characters. WhenDark Souls II is a beautiful game and is much better than its predecessor! However, it is still uncompromisingly hard! Which for some people may not be a negative thing... but for me it is! Now i'm not saying I don't love a good challenge cause by all means i do! I just believe that games are supposed to be fun experiences that grab you, draw you in and connect you to the characters. When a game is as hard as the Dark Souls series it is fun at first and at many other points, but more often than not it frustrates and draws me out of the experience and that is not what i look for in a game! Still some people will find this appealing and to you I say go for it! Dark Souls II is not a bad game by any means... it's just not for me! Expand
  14. Aug 21, 2014
    Dark Souls 2 is a fantastic game but is starting to morph out of the Demon's Souls concept and trending towards more tradition rpg gaming. It seems that Dark Souls is commercializing away from its original fans -This game reminds me of the original Diablo in a lot of ways....and that was a great game so I can understand some love hate depending what types of rpgs you like. What I wouldDark Souls 2 is a fantastic game but is starting to morph out of the Demon's Souls concept and trending towards more tradition rpg gaming. It seems that Dark Souls is commercializing away from its original fans -This game reminds me of the original Diablo in a lot of ways....and that was a great game so I can understand some love hate depending what types of rpgs you like. What I would like to say is that the Dark Souls series must evolve into something different, there is only so much combat to learn then the game would get stale so I do like many of the directions the developers took. In Dark Souls 2 there are a lot of changes to keep players from cheating and leveling up and backstab criticals seem fixed. I like a lot of the ways they are keeping cheating minimized: lore is really improving (as per players requests) and now we see various choices in using limited looted treasures. Farming has been hindered by having enemies only respawn so many times. Although this kills the toughness eventually I think its a good idea because you have only a limited amount of chance at certain rare drops then. I like the randomness the drops make and therefore this would cause different player builds which translates to more variety pvp. What is terrible in this game however is the programming. I really should not say terrible but the open world is fantastic, absolutely but some areas the enemies can hit through walls ect and that totally kills all immersion instantly. Target lock is still extremely broken. Magic is overpowed PvE but dreadfully weak PvP. Coop and invasions still reign in this game and many of the invasion aspects are fun however I find the spawn areas of the invasions are rediculously too close to yourself. If you are a magic user you have no time to change anything. As I said PvP and PvE is completely different and so invasions create a broken gaming concept without some time to change equipment or spells. The largest dislike of this game I have is the game is made harder by so much cheap and cheesy attacks and enemy ambushes it is almost comical. This ruins immersion as well and this game is dreadfully planned to cheese hard. Thankfully the large scope of the world, the puzzles, the loot and variety of enemies keeps it interesting enough to continue. Another broken area is summoning a friend, I don't know why but its harder to hook up with a friend, I presume so you can't cheat but then thats why people buy games I'd rather co-op than play with randoms so this is a problem. Cheating shouldn't be proactive in this sense, the game should be built to have everything remain fair and give the players tools how to deal with known cheats. For example the game already has stones to leave worlds and also send back phantoms so the problems of Dark Souls 2 on 1's were only broken because how close you spawned. Better spawn points giving the players choice to battle or not would have fixed this cheat through player intelligence. Two different types of White Stones in this game are therefore bad developer choices to limit friends playing together because of their own speculative natures and thats it So they killed a good concept because players are not using their stones but only because the spawn areas were to close, in sum bad developmental oversights.. Ok all said this is a fabulous game but it is heading in a different direction than Demon's souls. It is no longer linear and cruel but fair, it is more open and cheesy with lesser combat and more puzzling and randomness. One other thing I really don't like is this game is catering to a co-op initiative sure some people like this others don't want it. Choices!!! The bosses should all be beatable in every level alone some don't seem like they will be in ng+ or ng++. I think co-op bosses should be left to DLC as I want to own this game and play it 5 years from now as well and maybe that kills the 5th playthough for me. All in all a change I think had to happen and the result is still good but please lets fix the sloppy programming. Where could Dark Souls 3 go? How about bring back the theif and if he kills players he can win loots and if he loses he could drop loots and theifs job is to sell stuff to venders and accumilate score. How about mages and sorceries improve and they find their spells through puzzling into new hidden areas. How about mages find areas through teleportation that other classes without those spells cant get to and the only way in for other classes is invasion? And knights jobs could stay the same. You know if they improve lore and improve coventants and separate the immerive role of the characters you choose this game could be so much better...anyway, luv the game but still has areas to improve. Expand
  15. May 21, 2015
    I see what they're trying to do here I really do, problem for me is that I've seen it all before. Being a Souls veteran, as veteran as one can be, after putting well over 100 hours into DS1 I just simply fail to see any significant forward progress in DS2. The best way to put is is DS2 lacks the atmosphere of DS1, the exploration is gone and the horror of encountering a new enemy or bossI see what they're trying to do here I really do, problem for me is that I've seen it all before. Being a Souls veteran, as veteran as one can be, after putting well over 100 hours into DS1 I just simply fail to see any significant forward progress in DS2. The best way to put is is DS2 lacks the atmosphere of DS1, the exploration is gone and the horror of encountering a new enemy or boss is lost, because I've seen it all before. Technically DS2 is marginally better than DS1, and so it should be, but these things do not interest me, core gameplay does, problem here is, I've seen it all before. I thought, I thought and I tried to get into DS2 but I couldn't, because I've been there and seen it all before. I did get that same Souls buzz after offing the bosses but sadly its just not enough any more. It is apparent that there is a new genre of game being pioneered by the Souls style of hardcore difficulty and grinding. Its just not for me. Dark Souls 1 was a masterpiece in every way, Dark Souls 2 is like it's younger brother, trying to live up to what big brother achieved. To summarize Dark Souls 2 is ONLY for gamers who play and enjoy this type of game and who're die hard fans of the franchise or new to it and want something to push their limits of gaming. Lastly Dark Souls 2 is NOT too hard, it is about learning patterns and upgrading stats.. Not my idea of enjoyment, any m.ore Expand
  16. Jun 25, 2014
    Takes a little of each from the first 2 entries (yes, 2) and puts them together to form another gem. It's essentially just more of the same with more **** to do. It is certainly more accessible, but not from a difficulty standpoint. Weapon crafting, side quests, bonfire hopping are all made "easier" to accommodate all the **** that didn't buy the first ones because they only got a 8.9Takes a little of each from the first 2 entries (yes, 2) and puts them together to form another gem. It's essentially just more of the same with more **** to do. It is certainly more accessible, but not from a difficulty standpoint. Weapon crafting, side quests, bonfire hopping are all made "easier" to accommodate all the **** that didn't buy the first ones because they only got a 8.9 on Metacritic instead of a 9.1. Now go back and start at Demon's Souls if this is your first stop into the trilogy. Expand
  17. Jun 3, 2014
    This game is terrible. is even more bad than the first one, abysmal gameplay, i will not recommend this garbage, please stay away, the graphics look like a ps2 game, this game is a disaster, the combat is very REPETITIVE, the enemies attack and moves always in similar ways, people who like this game are 40 years old virgins who can't even beat it because it's extremely difficulty, thisThis game is terrible. is even more bad than the first one, abysmal gameplay, i will not recommend this garbage, please stay away, the graphics look like a ps2 game, this game is a disaster, the combat is very REPETITIVE, the enemies attack and moves always in similar ways, people who like this game are 40 years old virgins who can't even beat it because it's extremely difficulty, this game is not even worth try it.
    One of the worst games of 2014.
  18. Jan 30, 2015
    If you guys would remove this please i thought i clicked on the first game i have not played this 1 ill get back to you if i ever get it connect the dots lalalalaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
  19. Mar 19, 2014
    Dark Souls 2 is the most rewarding and challenging game I have ever played in my life. It barely ever strays from greatness and for good reason. Prepare to die.... again.
  20. Mar 26, 2016
    Not sure why everybody is calling this a true RPG experience.... There is a very weak or non-existent storyline. There is absolutely no immersion and no NPCs, no towns, and no interactions besides fighting. It's ultra linear and while props should be given to how challenging the game is, most of the time it's just a timing thing. You study how the enemy works by dying a few times, thenNot sure why everybody is calling this a true RPG experience.... There is a very weak or non-existent storyline. There is absolutely no immersion and no NPCs, no towns, and no interactions besides fighting. It's ultra linear and while props should be given to how challenging the game is, most of the time it's just a timing thing. You study how the enemy works by dying a few times, then time yourself to dodge, block and strike. Different enemies, different approach. It will be the same from start to finish. Boss fights will take alot of time but feel so satisfied after bringing one down. The combat is not fluid. It's just doesn't feel natural. Your character is like a skeleton. Without any meat. I dunno.... Something like that..

The world is boring and you will feel alone all the time. Online component, almost non-existent besides some hints dropped by other players here and there. No co-op. So forget it, Your character doesn't talk. The music is like it's not there. And the graphics are quite bad to be honest.

Not the worst game I've played. But it's just same same same. From start to finish. Demon Souls, Dark Souls 1 and 2, Bloodbourne.... All the same with little to no innovation.. The new Dark Souls 3 is going to be same thing I bet. But hopefully I'm wrong. Hopefully. So to sum up, one word - boring.
  21. Apr 29, 2014
    From Software took all the good things about Demon's Souls and Dark Souls and combined them to make one of the best sequels they possibly could. This time around, instant fast travel and despawning enemies can allow the game to feel more approachable to play, while still maintaining the game on a fairly challenging level. Although this entry didn't feel nearly as hard as the first two,From Software took all the good things about Demon's Souls and Dark Souls and combined them to make one of the best sequels they possibly could. This time around, instant fast travel and despawning enemies can allow the game to feel more approachable to play, while still maintaining the game on a fairly challenging level. Although this entry didn't feel nearly as hard as the first two, this has a steadier framerate, more fluent controls, more emotionally involved storyline, and a world that is roughly twice the size of Dark Souls 1. Although the main path of Dark Souls 2 felt around the same length, I think it just happened to have more optional areas and boss fights than that of 1.
    One thing that I really appreciated in this one was that New Game+ wasn't forced upon me immediately after the end credits were finished. It actually gives you the option to continue exploring the rest of the game and let's you decide whether or not you ever want to start New Game+ by visiting Majula's bonfire, I felt this game had way more freedom of choice because of this.
    But this game is still far from perfect. I've reported a few hit detection and auto-lock problems across my so-far 87 hours of total playtime. My biggest complaint was that there were a couple specific areas that forced me into PvP matchmaking, when all I want to do is explore the whole world in peace. I don't mind at all getting invaded at anytime, but when the game sets areas to automatically trigger invasions or send me to some other player's world the second I set foot in that particular area, I consider that a flawed design choice: forced multiplayer.
    Other than those issues, I think From Software hit all the right notes with this one. I know a lot of gamers complained about the graphics downgrade. First of all, this isn't next gen, and this still at least looks a little better than the last entry. And second of all, graphics alone have never been what made video games great. It's the gameplay. This is a fantastic game. It is head and shoulders above at least 90% of all the other games out on the market right now. It's a serious contender for a 2014 Game of the Year winner.

9/10 - Amazing
  22. Jun 17, 2014
    A great successor to Dark souls 1, Dark souls 2 improved upon an already great game. its still as tough as ever(in a good way) and the story had a bit more narrative but still had a piece it together approach to it. the visuals are stunning as always and the combat which is the heart and soul of the game is refined slightly making it even better. i love the new system they put in placeA great successor to Dark souls 1, Dark souls 2 improved upon an already great game. its still as tough as ever(in a good way) and the story had a bit more narrative but still had a piece it together approach to it. the visuals are stunning as always and the combat which is the heart and soul of the game is refined slightly making it even better. i love the new system they put in place with the estus flasks and the inventory IMO a better design finding shards and bone dust to build up your flask uses. the amount of content in this game is incredible ive out over 90 Hrs into this game and am still playing it. their is a lot to do and the NG+ is definitely worth a run through. the only thing i thought was better in DS 1 was the bosses had more scale to them and fights with them felt a little more grander then they did in this game and also there's not as much map continuity in DS2. in 1 it felt abit more connected with all the short cuts and different ways to enter an area. overall Dark souls 2 is a great sequel to DS 1....prepare to die again! Expand
  23. Apr 5, 2014
    I just want to say this is the best money I've spent in a very long time for a great game. I am an obsessed gamer and could probably open a shop with all the games i have. The mood of darks souls 2 just brought me into the goth/medievil heaven i loved when i played demons souls.The graphics are timeless and amazing. The gameplay is fluid and extremely realistic and i have to admit thatI just want to say this is the best money I've spent in a very long time for a great game. I am an obsessed gamer and could probably open a shop with all the games i have. The mood of darks souls 2 just brought me into the goth/medievil heaven i loved when i played demons souls.The graphics are timeless and amazing. The gameplay is fluid and extremely realistic and i have to admit that demons souls was more difficult and this felt a little less difficult but at the same time it lets you learn your flaws to do it over with a better idea of what to do. The only thing i would like a little more is definitely more cinematics because it feels like playing for a very long time without a progression of a storyline. An extended cinematic experience would have made you feel like even moving towards a greater goal. I am crazy about stories so for me this was the only flaw the game had. That is my only reason for going it a 9 and if you don't like this game it probably means your just not as good as us hardcore gamers!LOL.I really hope they make a dark souls 3 for PS4 because that will be one of the greatest moments in gaming history. Expand
  24. Nov 23, 2014
    This game is my Game of the year, so i rate it 10/10. Not because its perfect, its not. Some of its features are actually worse than they were in DS1. Even Lords of the fallen has some thing made better. But still this is the game i played and enjoyed the most this year. I had over 200 hours in it, i finished game 3 times on pS3 and once on pc (and i rarely replay games at all) and forThis game is my Game of the year, so i rate it 10/10. Not because its perfect, its not. Some of its features are actually worse than they were in DS1. Even Lords of the fallen has some thing made better. But still this is the game i played and enjoyed the most this year. I had over 200 hours in it, i finished game 3 times on pS3 and once on pc (and i rarely replay games at all) and for most of the time it was a lot of fun. Combat, exploration, atmosphere- everything is superb here.
    Anyway- great addition to great series. In fact i think Souls is one of the best RPG series ever created.
  25. Mar 23, 2017
    Truly a great game, when I started it i foond it to be extremely difficult, but after some hours i beat the first boss, and discovered the rewarding experience of it.
    Although that, many things aren't as memorable or cleverly designed as in the first t¿Dark Souls
    Bosses are kinda boring and the world feels generally lifeless. Lore is not as strong as in the first one, too. Gameplay is
    Gameplay is better than in the first Dark Souls, but AI destroys it and makes it more as a rolling simulator or a "go to enemies back" one.
  26. Mar 29, 2014
    for the game that features single hit death combat as main aspect it has way too many bugs and glitches. While Dark Souls 2 is a good game it has fallen far from the original Dark Souls and Demon Souls that featured close to flawless execution of all game mechanics.
    I can attest that after playing Demon Souls and Dark Souls that all of the deaths I have experienced in those games were result of my bad input where as in Dark Souls 2 I constantly die due to some unknown practices that clearly should not be happening causing me much frustration.

Here is a list of some bugs/glitches that I have encountered:
    1. dodging is not working properly when dodging just to get outside of hit range and successfully doing so hits still land while character is outside of hit range.
    2. enemy hit miss detection is very wonky. character gets hits while positioned directly behind enemy that is performing frontal attacks and gets still hit. like getting hit while trying to back stab spear man that is poking in the opposite direction.
    3. lock on. fighting multiple enemies and killing one and then getting killed because lock on would not auto target another enemy right in front of me on screen. (option is enabled)
    4. lock on. weapons swinging in the opposite direction or at angle instead of the target. causing miss. causing death. making some weapons unusable with lock on.
    5. enemies stuck in attack mode with infinite stamina and spam lock character in place till guard break and death.
    6. lingering damage after attack is over like steeping into clear air after dragon breath attack has ceased only to die.
    7. randomly respawning enemies without ever touching a bonfire.
    8. using ingame menu to quit the game and dying while that is happening result in character loss.

Features that do not belong in souls series:
    1. areas featuring infinitely spawning enemies
    2. ledges with loot that cannot be exited without returning to bonfire by death or teleport
    3. jumping mechanics that constantly require to remove equipment to jump further
    4. dropping down makes character automatically roll resulting frequently in death
    5. low health characters build are punished by making some loot and some areas accessible only much later as fall damage is no longer percentage based and some puzzles require taking fire damage for extended periods of time.
    6. most of the boss battles are located in the rooms so small and bosses so large that it creates camera issues and leaves no space to strategically position causing death by constantly dodging into walls.
    7. a lot of boss battles now feature more than a single enemy that cheaply raises difficulty of the fight.
    8. boss rooms sometimes are riddled with edges that can be fallen to the death and other things that do not allow enough room for normal combat. half of the fight time is spent waiting for NPCs to reposition themselves so they can be safely engaged again. that completely destroys the flow of combat.
    9. some enemies/areas seem to require ranged combat only approach
    what I want to underline is that game features a lot of easy bosses made hard through cheap gimmicks

Overall it would be a good game if it wasn't carrying on the legacy of previous two titles which featured close to perfect gameplay. Dark Souls 2 fails to achieve that perfection and thus disappoints me greatly.
  27. May 31, 2014
    Re-review: Dark Souls 2 is by far the best in terms of content and PvP but where it suffers (at the cost of the soul of the entire series) is in the enemies. Basically they are the same and to compensate for this the devs have added more of them, twisting the original Souls formula from 'fair because you learn' to 'overwhelming until you break through the wall or run away'.

Dark Souls 2

Dark Souls 2 is not a worthy sequel to the series and the hardship is not worth the time.

=========
  28. Apr 10, 2016
    Having now beat the game, I can say this is really just a pale imitation of the first. Aping it with no skill or understanding.

I don't want to particularly go into my reasons, so I will say that the Matthewmatosis "Dark Souls 2 Critique" youtube video really sums it up and coalesces my thoughts and raw feelings into something more tangible. Long, but worth the watch, even if you like

"Dark Souls 2 Critique" youtube video really sums it up and coalesces my thoughts and raw feelings into something more tangible. Long, but worth the watch, even if you like the game.

(mild optional boss spoilers)
    Some areas I must mention, that really stood out to me (well or stunk) were the -gauntlets- to the boss fights Ancient Dragon and Smelter Demon 2: This time he's Blue. Oh and Frigid Outskirts.. ugh.
    (mild optional boss spoilers)

Anyway, there are some good ideas in this sequel, pretty areas, but a whole lot of bad, terrible ideas and retreads from the last game. A shame because I find the quality never quite dips to the rush job that the lord souls were in the first game, mostly, but is overall just weak.

I did enjoy the game, I found some areas to be of good quality and I did like some of it.. just really, really hated the bad parts and poor design decisions w/r/t game systems.

I couldn't recommend it to anyone.
  29. Feb 17, 2017
    Dark Souls 2 was my first Souls game, so keep that in mind as you read this. As a person who had avoided the Souls series at all costs due to the seemingly rabid fanbase it had acquired over the years, I was skeptical about delving into what was supposedly only for "harcore" gamers. And the marketing campaign certainly didn't help. However, one day I chinned up and went "screw it", andDark Souls 2 was my first Souls game, so keep that in mind as you read this. As a person who had avoided the Souls series at all costs due to the seemingly rabid fanbase it had acquired over the years, I was skeptical about delving into what was supposedly only for "harcore" gamers. And the marketing campaign certainly didn't help. However, one day I chinned up and went "screw it", and picked up Dark Souls 2, and I never went back.

Dark Souls 2 isn't as good as the original Dark Souls, I'll put that right out there just to be completely uncontroversial, however, in and of itself, it is still a fantastic game overall. I could go on and on about how I took my first tentative and frightened steps into the Dark Souls world, facing death at every turn, dying over and over again and wanting to give up all the time. But that's the thing. I never did. I didn't give up, even though at times I wanted to. The game is just as gripping as the first, refusing to let me go and telling me that I'm better than that. It'll gut punch me then say "you can take it", because I damn well could, even when I thought I couldn't, and it took me taking it to prove it, time and time again.

The game's level design is... lacking. They're basically straight lines, let's not kid ourselves, here. But they still do look rather nice. Some places look downright gorgeous, so much so that I didn't really mind the fact that they were just straight gauntlets of enemies. Despite that, Dark Souls definitely did have better level design. Larger, open ended, and shortcuts abound. You won't get that here.

Combat is more refined, that's for sure, for better or for worse. Dark Souls combat worked in a way, and Dark Souls 2's combat works as well, just in a different way. Veterans of the first game will say it feels awkward and someone like me, who went from 2 to 1, will say that Dark Souls's combat feels awkward. However, I do prefer 1's combat to 2. It feels more refined for what it's made for. It works better for what it's built around than 2's is for what it's built around... if that makes any sense. Also, PARRYING IS POSSIBLE IN 1.

Bosses are... forgettable. If I had a dollar for every dude in armor boss in the game, I'd have at least 13 bucks or so. There is just one boss in the main game that I can remember off the top of my head. Even the final boss wasn't anything special. And the boss music is just as forgettable. I don't even hear the boss music in most cases... all cases, because it's just so boring and generic. Dark Souls 1 had amazing boss music that I can just listen to even when I'm on wikia or, oh, I don't know, writing a review for Dark Souls 2 on Metacritic, just to give a purely hypothetical example.

Mechanically the game is fine, save for the two points I'm bringing up the mechanics for, and that's the completely broken hitboxes and the auto-tracking overheads. They say Dark Souls also has terrible hitboxes, but if that's true I didn't notice them nearly as much as I did here. Some enemies will hit you from the next room over a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away. I'd get flattened by a sword the size of a double-decker bus and I'd clearly see the sword a good 3 in-game feet away from me. If you're playing without a shield, God help you. And then there's the auto-tracking overheads, which approximately 100% of enemies, including bosses, have. When an enemy raises their huge impractical stick to whack you with, they will swivel like they're on a turntable in order to hit you while you're strafing, something I though was physically impossible because by then you'd just be performing a horizontal swipe, wouldn't you, turtle knight? But nooooo. It's actually not possible to strafe to avoid attacks in this game like it was in 1. You HAVE to dodge. No exceptions, they will hit you even if they have to spin right round, baby, right round to do it.

The multiplayer is the Souls multiplayer. You know what that's all about, and the story is just as cryptic as ever, and does offer a different take on the Dark Souls lore. However, it's not quite as gripping as the first game's plot was, and I never really found myself engrossed in the lore when a lot of it just felt... forgettable. How forgettable? I'VE FORGOTTEN!

All-in-all, the game is flawed, yes, but did I still have a ton of fun with it? Oh, Lord, yes, I did. For a Souls newbie, this game was the perfect entry point. It introduced me to the world, the combat, the nature of the game itself, the brutal bosses, and though not as complex as Dark Souls in any regard that I can think of off the top of my head or given several hours to come up with one, I'm still grateful to it for what it taught me, and giving me the confidence to go to Dark Souls 1 and give that a try. Without it, I would've never gotten into the Souls series and I would never have gotten to experience some of the best gaming moments I have ever had.
  30. Mar 14, 2017
    Good game but worst souls. Few things was nice like hex magic or visualization of breaking equipments. Others no, design was mostly boring, only few selected areas like Shrine of Amana has atmosphere, Too westernish in my opinion. And final version of game looks worse than beta (both played on PS3).
  31. Mar 23, 2014
    i'm really impressed. have played the series from demons souls onward, basically bought a PS3 to mainly play demons souls. the idea of the game reminded me of some mechanics of early MMO pvp/pk like in ultima online, if you kill someone or die to a player or whatever you can suffer. i really like that challenge.

the game is pretty much near perfect for what the ps3 is capable of. i'm

the game is pretty much near perfect for what the ps3 is capable of. i'm primarily a pc gamer but couldn't wait the extra month to get it on that platform. plus i almost think it will have more hackers due to the HUGE russian community that will buy it super cheap.

i've spent about 70 hours playing so far, two different characters. the game has a LOT of content, and more is added in new game+. the pvp and co op seems to work so much better than before. really impressed!
  32. Apr 7, 2014
    If you even remotely liked either Demon Souls of Dark Souls, then this is a definite purchase. There is so much here to be had for $60. After "The Last of Us," I wasn't sure there would be another game worthy of a "10" rating... at least not on the PS3 or last gen consoles. This game is so incredibly difficult, but so satisfying when you triumph over an enemy that you attempted to kill 30If you even remotely liked either Demon Souls of Dark Souls, then this is a definite purchase. There is so much here to be had for $60. After "The Last of Us," I wasn't sure there would be another game worthy of a "10" rating... at least not on the PS3 or last gen consoles. This game is so incredibly difficult, but so satisfying when you triumph over an enemy that you attempted to kill 30 times before it. This is a true RPG. The great thing about this series, is that you can go back and play and replay the first Dark Souls and Demon Souls and still have that feeling of accomplishment. If you are an impatient gamer, then this game will temper you. Other game's difficulties are laughable at this point. This is the only RPG that truly makes you think about when and how to upgrade certain character statistics. Prepare to die... MORE. You have to love this game! Expand
  33. Mar 11, 2014
    Sensational. Just sensational. An enormous game of earned triumph. The lore is fantastic, the world is eery and terrifying, the enemies are repulsive and ingenious, the gameplay is crushing and rewarding. A grand mix of Demon's Souls and Dark Souls together in a game that is certainly the best in the series.
  34. Apr 19, 2014
    Game not even as enjoyable as first two games. Do battle on small pathways and wrong step and fall die, fall die, fall die. Other games had some areas like that but not everywhere you turn. Graphics in parts of game are subpar compare to previous games. Do your self a favor and by Demon Souls. Greatly disappointed in this release of the series.
  35. May 6, 2014
    Literally the most overrated game ever. The combat system is a clunky, simplistic throwback to the bad old days, and it controls like a sloth on quaaludes. The drab graphics look like they're from 1998. The idea that this game and Arkham City share the same score is a sick joke.
  36. Mar 18, 2014
    It would of made more sense if they called this game Demon's Souls II, because thats what it is, not that its a problem, 90% of the design philosophy originates from Demon's Souls, from the hub area to weapon crafting, to how you produce unique weapons and leveling up, all its really missing is Stockpile Thomas. Dark Souls II is a great game and mostly worth your time, it fills in a lot ofIt would of made more sense if they called this game Demon's Souls II, because thats what it is, not that its a problem, 90% of the design philosophy originates from Demon's Souls, from the hub area to weapon crafting, to how you produce unique weapons and leveling up, all its really missing is Stockpile Thomas. Dark Souls II is a great game and mostly worth your time, it fills in a lot of the blanks left with the previous instalment (dual wielding ect) but as far as production value and evolution for the franchise is concerned its 2 steps forward and 1 step back Expand
  37. May 24, 2014
    The change of staff for Dark Souls II and the idea of allowing the series to become more "accessible" for a larger audience has caused Dark Souls II to be an absolute mess. The original Dark Souls was also a mess, though for subjective reasons, things which I didn't enjoy about the game. The mess that Dark Souls II happens to be, it's a mess caused by bad programming, contradicting story,The change of staff for Dark Souls II and the idea of allowing the series to become more "accessible" for a larger audience has caused Dark Souls II to be an absolute mess. The original Dark Souls was also a mess, though for subjective reasons, things which I didn't enjoy about the game. The mess that Dark Souls II happens to be, it's a mess caused by bad programming, contradicting story, and idiotic decisions for the online play. Dark Souls II does have something going for it, though...and that's the music. Everything was rushed and made horribly for an overall disappointing and unsatisfying experience. Expand
  38. Apr 14, 2014
    Dark Souls 2 is just like Dark Souls except bigger. Certain aspects like covenants and humanity have been simplified to make them easier to understand and the game is generally more user friendly in it's design choices yet it still retains it's brutal difficulty and air of mystique.

The graphics are slightly compromised on ageing hardware but thankfully From Software made the right decision to sacrifice detail for frame rate to ensure the game handles smoothly even if the lighting isn't perfect, boo hoo (sarcasm).

Dark Souls 2 is not a perfect game, I could write a list as long as my arm about it's flaws (which are many but most relatively minor). Hell, it's not even a fair game. But that's sort of the point. It's the challenge and satisfaction of overcoming seemingly impossible odds to win. Even the cheapest of victories will have you punching the air in celebration.

What it is though is an epic adventure which took me 80 hours to complete and I still don't feel as if I've scratched the surface. It's the best action RPG I've ever played. And although it may never win 200 game of the year awards it just might be the best game ever (so far).
  39. Apr 5, 2014
    When Demon's Souls first-arrived in 2009 (I first played it in 2010, when it finally arrived in the UK), at long last a prayer of many a true gamesplayer had been answered: a game that was hard, yes, possibly even really tough at times - but it was rewarding, the difficulty added to the tension, you were never 'sold-out' with cheap moments or annoying difficulty spikes, and every momentWhen Demon's Souls first-arrived in 2009 (I first played it in 2010, when it finally arrived in the UK), at long last a prayer of many a true gamesplayer had been answered: a game that was hard, yes, possibly even really tough at times - but it was rewarding, the difficulty added to the tension, you were never 'sold-out' with cheap moments or annoying difficulty spikes, and every moment the game gave you was truly well-considered.

Come the 'sequel' of sorts in 2011, Dark Souls, the game changed-up a great deal (goodbye world and character tendencies, hello open-world and covenants), and also introduced a new level of unpredictability to its core. It changed the formula for sure, shook-up Demon's Souls veterans like myself, but did it the right way.

I played the beta of Dark Souls 2 last year, and experienced many of the changes that FROM software were implementing, but I never knew how much was being changed, until I first started playing the actual game.

But I'm getting ahead of myself, first I wish to cover the presentation: the graphics engine has been overhauled completely, and it shows!! The levels, and characters throughout are much crisper, and whilst there are issues (the PS3 version can have slight framerate issues, and there are some rough textures here and there) the whole update compliments the varied locales, which whilst range from the fantastic to the largely dour and depressing, are beautifully lit and made to elicit the right kind of tension, not due to design error.

The sound is wonderful!! Sound effects that you character, and the creatures of the areas you visit, are very slightly exaggerated, and whilst initially it can 'jar' the senses (it did for me) it again adds to the tension - at points in the game encounters can almost be pre-empted (perhaps assumed) just by the sound you would not expect. The music ranges from the thunderous (the boss encounters, as you'd expect) through to some utterly beautiful, and somewhat sad, pieces. If you can pick up one of the versions with the soundtrack as an extra, DO - trust me, you'll thank me for this piece of advice.

As for the gameplay, FROM software have played the controversial card by adding some major gameplay twists: some of these come courtesy of Demon's Souls (and are hugely welcome by this player!!), and some come by themselves (no doubt influenced by the beta, and the fact that there will be a lot of newcomers to this series on this entry), but the gameplay twists, whilst small, do affect the game hugely in scope. These design choices all boil down to the fact that FROM software want you to take chances, want you to have fun, and not be bogged-down in endless hours of grinding, and they want you to find your own way to play the game. In a way, more than ever, being levelled-up and tooled to the infinite degree is no surefire guarantee that you'll sail through the game - no way!! Online has always been a mainstay of this series, and I think that once you've tried it, and been locked into a boss battle with others, that you won't play any other way!!

One more point I must stress, to those that ask "has the game become easier?" I have to say a firm NO. Its been made accessible to newcomers, I have to agree, in many ways, but it still will challenge even the veterans.

Dark Souls 2 is seriously superb. Its addictive, exhilerating, frustrating, compulsive and massively rewarding, and given that its possibly the last outing of this series on the PS3 or XBOX 360, you should play it. Its quirkier that Dark Souls, almost as great as Demon's Souls, and this early into 2014, I wouldn't be surprized if its one of the best games of the year come December.

Utterly unmissable
  40. Mar 23, 2014
    I'm so glad I got this game. I never was able to get into the original Dark Souls, and I only played a little of Demon's Souls, but now, after I finish with this i actually want to go back and play those 2 more and really delve into them.

It's what you would expect, slow, methodical, HARD AS HELL, but it's a great challenge especially once you start to understand the nuances. I still

I still feel like I'm missing out on a few things, and at times it feels like my character is far weaker than he should be, even for this game, but I'm pretty sure it just has to do more with exploring and backtracking a bit in order to figure out.

Only real issues I would have with the game, are a few minor glitches here and there, but the 2 big ones are the obvious graphical downgrade, which normally wouldn't be a big deal, but the game definitely looks muddy in some places.

The other issue would be graphical slowdowns/lag at times, it hasn't really affected combat too much (I can't say it's ever killed me outright), but it's noticeable.
  41. May 29, 2014
    You probably already know how notorious this franchise is for being hard. True, Dark Souls is not very enjoyable to ppl who can only handle cakewalk or even moderate difficulty. Bosses will most likely kill you in 1 to 3 hits depending on how tanky you are (and no that doesnt mean they only hit once each attack. take a full combo and you are dead), and lesser foes are also able to take offYou probably already know how notorious this franchise is for being hard. True, Dark Souls is not very enjoyable to ppl who can only handle cakewalk or even moderate difficulty. Bosses will most likely kill you in 1 to 3 hits depending on how tanky you are (and no that doesnt mean they only hit once each attack. take a full combo and you are dead), and lesser foes are also able to take off significant proportions of your health with their attacks. If you cannot utilize invincibility frames that comes with your dodge, Dark Souls 2 will most likely be punishing to you. But it is for the same reason that Dark Souls 2 gives so much sense of accomplishment when you do overcome the difficulty.
    Dark Souls 2 introduces a comprehensive customization system. Not only can you equip each piece of armor and weapon (left and right hand) separately, but there is actually a reason for ppl to try different setup rather than taking the biggest swords: heavy equipments make you slow moving and your stamina regen slower, and vice versa. There is a whopping amount of weapon types in the game, all of which are versatile depending on what play style you use. Dark Souls 2 also introduces the ability to respec skill points, which makes it possible to try out every weapon and play style.
    Dark Souls 2 is made to last. A single playthrough will easily take 100 to 150 hours depending how good you are at the game and how much farming you do, and because the gameplay is solid and can vary greatly with the use of different setups, there is actually reason to replay the campaign again in NG+ and I do recommend you do so should you go that far.
    Online play is integrated into the game, as you can find soapstones in the world other players have put down that you can interact with to summon them to fight with or against you.
    The world of Dark Souls 2 is frankly... quite dark and sufficiently interesting. The kingdom of Drangleic loses all its glory and tranquility as the undead curse falls upon this land. Map designs are pretty good, and the world feels alive.
    A few things Dark Souls 2 doesnt do so well in are its plot (it doesnt have much) and the mediocre character models and graphics. Other than that Dark Souls 2 is an absolutely amazing game every hardcore gamer must play.
  42. Apr 14, 2014
    the game is great! but if you're expecting dark souls "2" then this isnt it. it feels more of a hybrid of demon and the first dark souls thats a bit easier. its still fun though and it still plays like the others.
  43. Jul 13, 2014
    Absolutely interesting, fun, worth the $60 (or $119 I paid for the statue edition). I've played this series to death, a huge fan of Demon and Dark Souls. Does it live up to it's predecessors? Unfortunately no. The story just isn't as intriguing, the changes are odd, and overall not as memorable. I don't have any interest in playing it over again, however, should it be ported to the PS4 IAbsolutely interesting, fun, worth the $60 (or $119 I paid for the statue edition). I've played this series to death, a huge fan of Demon and Dark Souls. Does it live up to it's predecessors? Unfortunately no. The story just isn't as intriguing, the changes are odd, and overall not as memorable. I don't have any interest in playing it over again, however, should it be ported to the PS4 I may give it another chance but it would need a graphics improvement (dark lighting - should have been in the PC version for bloody sake) and better gameplay mechanics/features. As a die hard fan of this series I can only grant it sadly a 7/10. However, it is still worth playing and experiencing for the exploration thrills and RPG challenges, despite the frustrating char/gear build and battle headaches. Expand
  44. Mar 14, 2014
    Bought a PS3 for the 2nd or 3rd time just to play this game. Demon Souls and Dark Souls are probably my favorite games of all time and I've played games since 1989. Incredibly difficult, but extremely rewarding. Highly recommend to anyone that has half a brain.
  45. Mar 11, 2014
    This game nails everything dead on. Art design and atmosphere: perfect. Level of difficulty: perfect. Sound design: amazing. It's a quiet understated story, worth multiple playthroughs to piece together. This isn't only as good as Dark Souls, it's better in almost every conceivable way. You will die, you will curse, you will clench your controller in frustration, but you will neverThis game nails everything dead on. Art design and atmosphere: perfect. Level of difficulty: perfect. Sound design: amazing. It's a quiet understated story, worth multiple playthroughs to piece together. This isn't only as good as Dark Souls, it's better in almost every conceivable way. You will die, you will curse, you will clench your controller in frustration, but you will never forget your experience with this game. This is easily the best RPG I've played since Xenoblade Chronicles. Buy this game. Now. Expand
  46. Mar 11, 2014
    An all around superior version of Dark Souls, on a new engine with shiny new graphics, improved gameplay, improved animations, improved polish, more stuff to do... There's just nothing to complain about, it's all epic.
  47. Apr 5, 2016
    The Sequel to one of the Best Action RPG's ever made, Dark Souls II Welcomes you to the ancient kingdom of Drangleic, quite a change of scenery compared to the abandoned Lordran from the previous game. Dark Souls II polishes its gameplay with propper care, and overhauls its user interface in smart ways to help players keep a good eye on its items and weapons. Combat is pretty much the sameThe Sequel to one of the Best Action RPG's ever made, Dark Souls II Welcomes you to the ancient kingdom of Drangleic, quite a change of scenery compared to the abandoned Lordran from the previous game. Dark Souls II polishes its gameplay with propper care, and overhauls its user interface in smart ways to help players keep a good eye on its items and weapons. Combat is pretty much the same as its predecesor, and so it's difficulty.

Boss encounters are still the stars of this game, but i would be lying if i said i did not come across some dissapointing Boss dessign, or easy push-over of a boss from time to time, but the epic scale of the game, and its lengthy ride ultimately left me with a really good impresion. Level design, though, the game feels a little bit more linear than its predecesor: whereas the 1st Dark Souls presented its world in a closed well-thought intricate design, Dark Souls 2's Drangleic is more of an extended and spread out design, with some breaching paths: but nowhere as near as complex and thoght out as the first game.

In the end, Dark Souls II is a worthy succesor to the series, even if its lore is a hit and miss, but stil falls behind the greatness of the 1st game.
  48. Mar 17, 2014
    Get It - if you liked the previous games you'll like this one - your life will soon be over. Not just your game life but your home life too. Demons souls franchise rules my living room.
  49. Mar 15, 2014
    People complain too much yes you can make the enemies respawn after you kill them to much i want spoil it but you get the item 25-30% through the game.... Graphics are fine From soft doesn't have all the cash big devs do they cant create a new graphics engine or rent one and market the game with it. Your lucky you got a dark soul sequel. The game is fine with hit box errors (no worse thenPeople complain too much yes you can make the enemies respawn after you kill them to much i want spoil it but you get the item 25-30% through the game.... Graphics are fine From soft doesn't have all the cash big devs do they cant create a new graphics engine or rent one and market the game with it. Your lucky you got a dark soul sequel. The game is fine with hit box errors (no worse then the beginning of dark souls 1) Lore is good and graphics are stunning in some areas. NPCS are cool,

The bosses are tad forgettable but so were Dark souls and Demon souls.. I've beat demon souls over 9 times and do not remember 80% of the bosses.. Graphics do not make a game i can still pop the legend of zelda majoras mask in and have a really fun time.
  50. Nov 11, 2014
    I'm new to the Souls games, Dark Souls 2 being the first of which I played, mostly because I couldn't get a hold of Demon's Souls or Dark Souls beforehand.

The first 2 hours were unforgiving. I died many times and, foolishly, used too many Human Effgies. As time progressed I began to understand the game and found it to be, strangely, rewarding. I'm a huge fan of RPG's and this is a savage beast. I didn't even know how to level up which didn't help. WHAT A NOOB!!!

I haven't finished the game yet, so this review may seem premature, but I'm confident in the belief that it is a game for gamers. The only complaints I have are the inability to sell items.
  51. Mar 15, 2014
    If it ain't broke don't fix it.

That's the advice From Software ignored when making this game. Dark souls style may not appeal to a lot of people, but it was such a masterful game, damn near perfect. Dark souls 2 "refines" the experience with lots of changes to gameplay, balance issues, and lack of accessibility from the previous game. While playing DS2 it IS clear that From is on
    If it ain't broke don't fix it.

While playing DS2 it IS clear that From is on top of every little detail about their game. The issues I have with this game are nothing that was overlooked, but rather, deliberate changes to the formula that almost completely ruin my enjoyment of the game. While they admirably address things from the previous game that seemed redundant or flawed, the changes they made create new problems in themselves.

By far, the biggest issue with the game is the finite enemies. This is no doubt a measure that was implimented to stop people from grinding to get souls. After you kill an enemy a certain amount of times, they stop respawning. It seems like a glitch at first, until you notice the pattern. It feels like a slap in the face and goes against what the game is all about, to a degree. I legitimately killed enemies, died, respawned, and repeated, without making my way to the next bonfire. However, since I had killed the enemies enough times, they began disappearing, which made getting further easier, since there was much less in my way. I didn't feel like I earned it. The other issue with them disappearing is that I ended up losing lots of souls in the process. With enemies being finite, I now have to play every second of the game stressed out. If I lose some souls, those are souls I can NEVER earn back. So essentially you could run the risk of digging yourself into a huge hole that you can't get out of, forcing you to start over. This is a long game, having to start over is not fun at all. With finite enemies, this also complicates loot drops, a staple in RPGs. Now the loot is also finite. Farming titanite is a thing of the past. Now the decisions you make on upgrading your weapons are more stressful than ever, since it's not so simple to just go get more. DS1 kept the stress where it was fun, in the combat. I didn't have to fear that I was playing the game wrong and making things harder for myself hours down the line.

Item durability has been expanded and tweaked. Weapons, armor, and now rings have durability and will break from overuse or damage. In DS1, items breaking was sort of a non issue, as they took a long time to break and were simple enough to fix, since the souls to do it were always around. This time, they break REALLY fast, and cost you precious finite souls to fix. Plus you must progress a bit to unlock the blacksmith who can provide the service. In the early go of it, I nearly was left with no useable weapons, since I couldn't buy any yet and had broken some.

Some features of the game that aren't meant to be hidden are needlessly obtuse. It took me a while to see how to activate torches, and I still choose not to use them because they don't last long and are hard to come by. I had to look online to find that I had the ability to post messages the WHOLE time, I just wasn't able to do it because I wasn't in living form. I don't play in living form because I will most certainly get killed, as that is the nature of dark souls, and the item needed to become living is hard to come by, once again. I also didn't know how to level up for a while, unfortunately. I didn't like how it has to happen through some weird lady.

Now, when you die, you lose a portion of your max health, up to 50%, until you use a finite item to revert back to living form. It's stupid, stressful, and a$$ backwards. You die, and the game gets harder?

Combat feels more cheap this time. So often you'll find battles where you're pitted against a group of enemies, which is always challenging, no matter how "weak" they are. DS1 rarely made you fight more than one or two at a time, if you were patient enough, allowing you to concentrate on the fundamentals. The very beginning woods section of this game was full of these encounters and was enfuriating. This, coming from a guy who beat dark souls. I know how to play.

The game was made "more accessible" by including fast travel between bonfires and has a supposedly easier world structure to get started in. First, getting started was not easy at all. Like I said, the woods, which is first, were unbelievably aggravating, since you barely have any gear, and you get swarmed all over. I can't imagine that to be more accessible to a newcomer. Second, fast travel, it's does have its perks. It saves lots of time, but the gameworld is built so sprawling and disjointed. Nothing like the masterful interconnected puzzle that DS1 was. Plus having to go to the main hub area to level up and such is annoying.

On a good note, the frame rate in this game is Super smooth compared to DS 1. At its best, this game IS great. But not DS1 great.

I could say more, no more room.
  52. Aug 2, 2014
    To start out, this game is a worthy successor in the DeS/DaS series.
    Ambiance of this game is amazing, as well as all surprises that are awaiting you when exploring the world.
    To start out, this game is a worthy successor in the DeS/DaS series.
    There have been some (very good) evolutions in the gameplay mechanic too, especially when it comes to dual wielding and jumping compared to DaS1. The whole player summoning/invading experience has also been streamlined to perfection, nearly no technical glitches (as was unfortunately the case in Demon's Souls).
    Only thing I did not favor was the story and characters. You meet characters but there's not really a lot of evolution in them through the storyline compared to previous games (Ostrava/Praise the Sun). And for the story, half the time you come out of an area beating up enemies but having no clue on the background of the area or the enemy. This was already the case in DaS1 but here's area for improvement.
    But still, it's a relatively minor note, the game is well worth the time you spend into it, so highly recommended.
  53. Jul 8, 2014
    Not a Souls game, very easy, caters to watered down PVP. Magic is overpowered, shields are useless, melee weapons pointless, parries have no consistency. And, unlimited health potions (life gems). RIP souls. (and no it isn't a good game just for merit, that's like praising the Star Wars prequals).
  54. Mar 14, 2014
    Praise the Soul games! The enigmatic ambience; the best sword and sorcery combat;
    the thrill of exploration and discovery; the INGENIOUS level design; the aid of companions
    when needed --- it's all back in this sublime, spellbinding sequel. Thanks, From Software.
  55. Mar 11, 2014
    best game in the history of mankind nothing else compares,buy this game don't watch any guides,play alone,no online and experience the brilliance that is Dark Souls II.GFX,Visuals,sound,mp everything is refined and improved
  56. Mar 13, 2014
    This game (just like the last two in the series) is either going to be loved dearly or hated passionately. Obviously, the people who lack ambition, determination, persistence, patience, and ingenuity are the ones who are most likely to hate it passionately. So, basically, most of the people who have played this game and then given it a low score are losers. While, the ones who love itThis game (just like the last two in the series) is either going to be loved dearly or hated passionately. Obviously, the people who lack ambition, determination, persistence, patience, and ingenuity are the ones who are most likely to hate it passionately. So, basically, most of the people who have played this game and then given it a low score are losers. While, the ones who love it dearly are winners. The game itself, really can't be faulted very much if you like RPGs. It's obviously wonderfully crafted and extremely well done. Expand
  57. Mar 13, 2014
    Dark Souls II might be my favorite of the 3 games. The UI is currently a little buggy, but it has seen some significant design improvements over the previous games.

I feel like in many cases it tries and succeeds to mix the best of both worlds from Demon's Souls and Dark Souls. Death is more punishing than ever, there is a stronger incentive to co-op, there are many more PvP covenants, there is a sparring arena.

On top of that the game has a ton of physics and graphics improvements over previous games. Some may not like the brighter, more pastel aesthetic, but it's a fact that the technical quality of the graphics has been bumped up a bit. The physics of the game have been improved by simplifying how smaller, more numerous objects interact and instead focusing on the physics of larger objects like barrels and characters. I like seeing my clothes react and pushing boxes/barrels around at 30fps a lot better than I like watching 4251098 pieces of wood and bodies spaz about at 10fps as sometimes happened in DS1.
  58. Jan 28, 2015
    Alright so let's get this done. Is the game good? Yes. Is it better than DS1? Well that's your overall view on it and depends on you. So far from a gameplay view they improved many mechanics and smoothed gameplay ones, story is still pretty interesting sticking to the "You are an undead, forever without hope" as you helplessly try to find answers that may or may not be there. Another thingAlright so let's get this done. Is the game good? Yes. Is it better than DS1? Well that's your overall view on it and depends on you. So far from a gameplay view they improved many mechanics and smoothed gameplay ones, story is still pretty interesting sticking to the "You are an undead, forever without hope" as you helplessly try to find answers that may or may not be there. Another thing is the difficulty, however this is difficult to say it is difficult or not, if you've played Demon's souls than everything is pretty easy from that point, so basically if you've played other souls games than you already know how to approach this one at this point, still people still have difficulty and the community is also there to add more to this with their invasions.

Even with all of these in mind the game may not be as good as DS1 in many eyes, as DS2 changes many things that was loved in DS1 such as going in circles finding interesting shortcuts and exploring. DS2 decides to be very different by being semi-linear (you get to choose how to go about this but you'll still end up in the same place) and many areas not really being creative and the ones that are don't necessarily make sense.

Even with these in mind though the game is great! Not fantastic but still good. Add the DLCs and the game can hold up a torch with DS1. If you are a fan of RPGs than it's up to you to get this game, as it is one of the best and still challenging out there.
  59. Feb 5, 2015
    I'm already getting nostalgic emotions from playing this game since my PS3 broke months ago. Any game that gave me that much of an experience and currently affects me that emotionally, without a doubt deserves a 10/10 from me.
  60. Apr 17, 2014
    I really did not like the first two souls games. Demons Souls looked and played terrible. Dark Souls was a glitch filled mess, I literally got stuck in a tree within 5 minutes and couldn't continue without physically turning my controller off. This game is well made, I have played around 15 - 20 hours and haven't encountered a glitch yet. I like the fact that the enemies disappear afterI really did not like the first two souls games. Demons Souls looked and played terrible. Dark Souls was a glitch filled mess, I literally got stuck in a tree within 5 minutes and couldn't continue without physically turning my controller off. This game is well made, I have played around 15 - 20 hours and haven't encountered a glitch yet. I like the fact that the enemies disappear after clearing them out and, it avoids unnecessary stupid deaths and forces you to not over grind in a specific point and move on in the game. I know some people knocked it for being shallow and having empty characters, but at least you can get to the shallow empty characters without getting stuck in the environment. My only critique is that in order to play it you have to sit down and devote a significant chunk of time into it. It isn't fun playing for short periods of time, when you are playing you want to accomplish something in the game, be it beat a boss or enter a new area and that takes time. Expand
  61. Mar 11, 2014
    Absolutely incredible this game is simply one of the best games ever made IMO and sets the new bar for RPGs and games in generally the game took me about 35 hours to complete partly because of the amount of times you die but for me its what makes the game so good because when you finish the game there is no better feeling than knowing that you completed Dark Souls 2. You ask why I see wellAbsolutely incredible this game is simply one of the best games ever made IMO and sets the new bar for RPGs and games in generally the game took me about 35 hours to complete partly because of the amount of times you die but for me its what makes the game so good because when you finish the game there is no better feeling than knowing that you completed Dark Souls 2. You ask why I see well let me tell why. Its just that every conceivable area has been improved from the original Dark Souls from the gameplay, story, balance, and the overall experience has been improved and has resulted in a true masterpiece in gaming. But I will warn you that this game is only for HARDCORE GAMERS because you aren't then trust me will become a real dark soul but if you are then get out there and buy this masterpiece right now and you wont forget it.
    Thanks for reading my review
  62. Mar 17, 2014
    I'm going to say that this is way over rated. Not hard at all, I just run passed goons to bosses. Goons take too many hits and give you barely anything, plus they can one hit you like any boss. I bought the game because of reviews say so good and hard, same old game little different graphics, unneeded annoyances that don't increase difficulty as much as the perception of difficulty. II'm going to say that this is way over rated. Not hard at all, I just run passed goons to bosses. Goons take too many hits and give you barely anything, plus they can one hit you like any boss. I bought the game because of reviews say so good and hard, same old game little different graphics, unneeded annoyances that don't increase difficulty as much as the perception of difficulty. I die because ledges and bad camera angles. Expand
  63. Oct 24, 2014
    To save you some time I'll start with this: if you enjoyed or didn't enjoy the first Dark Souls and, to a lesser extent, the spiritual progenitor of Demon's Souls you will probably feel the same way about Dark Souls 2. Dark Souls 2 is a little less punishing, a little less dreaery and slightly more upbeat at times but is the same basic experience of learning through trial and error.

In

In terms of presentation Dark Souls 2 falls under the good, not technically great category much like its two predecessors. The world is rich and fun to look at with varying landscapes that range from jagged cliffs overlooking a sea to half destroyed castles to cavernous harbors. The enemies, especially the bosses, are a delight to see during combat. The sound effects are for the most part well done, and the voice acting is, again, mostly well done. The cast of characters in the world are well acted but occasionally speaking to an NPC they don't quite sound right. The sound effects are the same, weighty and well done, but occasionally just won't sound right, such as when you hit your weapon against a wall. While stylistically the graphics are well done, they aren't technically amazing.

But the Dark Souls games aren't about the technical prowess of the graphics or the sound effects, they are about the sharp, responsive combat and hostile world that it takes place in. I have never encountered a game with the same level of responsiveness to what you want to do, or more accurately what you press on the controller. The responsiveness makes the game feel fair and balanced despite the challenge the world presents. Enemies are powerful and varied, forcing you to learn to adapt to each one as you encounter them. While the enemies are challenging, none of them are hard enough to prove frustrating once you learn how to deal with them. The game does a good job of feeling difficult while rarely crossing over into feeling unfair, DLC aside. At a certain point you learn how to beat the enemies, you have the responsiveness in the controls to beat them, and enemies are generally not dense enough for you to be swarmed if you're smart. The game is challenging, but gives you all the tools to succeed if you learn as you go.

There are a good variety of weapons, armors and spells at your disposal to figure out how you want to play the game. To me, this is the games greatest strength. You can play how you want and how fits you. There are a variety of weapons that all act differently, various armors and shields with different bonuses and a magic system broken into three categories. There is the more standard magical spell fair, miracles which are lightning based attacks or support spells powered by faith instead of intelligence and hexes which are black magic spells that focus on death and destruction. As you progress you can gain more powerful legendary, unique items and spells and upgrade those and the more basic and legendary items and spells. There are also various stones that you are able to imbue items with later on in the game that allow those items to gain certain properties. From the interactions I've had with various people online everyone ends up playing differently, with their own gear and combat style preferences

Online is well done, but very atypically. You are able to both help or hinder other players by putting down soapstone markings to allow players to summon you to help them in combat or you are able to invade the worlds of other players in an attempt to kill them and steal their souls. Invasions are a duel style combat where you can possibly steal whatever souls the other player has on them. Cooperation is rewarded through gaining souls alongside the person you are helping, which can be a great way to gather a lot of souls quickly by helping another player slay bosses. The interactions are combat focused with little communication unless you send a message outside the game to the other person which is possible since you see their username. The communications are generally friendly ("Hey, thanks for helping me") but can occasionally be nasty, but it's nothing a block user can't solve. Online has been thinning out, as it does with each of these games, as time passes so it's not as easy to interact with other players online.

The story is fairly barebones and mostly communicated by speaking to NPC's and reading descriptions, as the series always has been, and somewhere along the line the story dissipates. You start off with a vague task of returning back to the world you know, but along the way that is lost in "doing stuff" to try to survive and progress. By the end of the game the goal you had is different from what you do and really there is little cohesion to the plot, though you probably won't notice.

The game has great replayability. After each game you can start over with the game changing a little, with slight changes in the world and carrying over gear and progress. The game is an immense value, worth a definite buy.
  64. May 30, 2014
    From had some pretty high expectations to live up to with this title and they delivered. I'm a big fan of the series and this game is a very worthwhile addition. I was a little worried they would dumb the game down too much but this very much preserves the spirit of the previous titles. For me these games are all about perserverance and discovery. I never play with a walkthough theFrom had some pretty high expectations to live up to with this title and they delivered. I'm a big fan of the series and this game is a very worthwhile addition. I was a little worried they would dumb the game down too much but this very much preserves the spirit of the previous titles. For me these games are all about perserverance and discovery. I never play with a walkthough the first time through and I always miss some major things, but it just makes the next playthrough that much more enjoyable.

And there is a lot to play here. The game is massive and easily took me over 100 hours to complete. I think the amount of content here more than makes up for any lack of connectivity between locations. That was one of the major strenghts of Dark Souls but I think From just went in a different direction here and stressed additional content over an interconnected level design. I think the game looks fantastic so I was surprised to see so many complaining about the graphics.

Most of the changes that From made for DaS 2 are a welcome addition. Dual Wielding was really nice touch and improves what was far and away the best action combat system in the RPG genre (although I wish they had put that in the tutorial because I was well over halfway though my playthrough before I even noticed you could attack with both weapons simulateously). Some of the bosses are a little lackluster (probably because there are more of them) but this game for sure has it's share of memorable and terrifying monsters - in fact that is one of the more noticable improvements over dark. souls where I felt they just recycled a bunch of bosses from Demons Souls. I've always been more of a PVE player but the multiplayer is a lot more fun for me now. The nerfed the backstab which was really infuriating in Dark Souls and I get invaded far less often in Dark Souls2. There are plenty of opportunities for PvP and it is more now covenant driven which is a direction I agree with completely. The voice acting and music are once again top notch.

There are a few changes which I didn't care for. The major one was the ease with which you can warp between bonfires. I can see some need for it because the world is really large and there are less connection points, but they easily could have limited this in some way. I think you lose a little bit of the immersion when you can just warp anywhere you want at any time. The lore and mystery is a bit lacking compared to the prior games but let's face it - this series is pretty heavy on obsurity and story has never been a huge component of the game as it is more about piecing things together on your own. That element still remains but has been toned down.

Demons Souls is still my personal favorite in the series but Darks Souls 2 is a very close second. I hope they add on a DLC pack at some point because I will probably still be playing this by the time it comes around.
  65. May 31, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game gets alot of needless praise. I'm sorry, but, it doesn't deserve it at all. But in short. I played it out of recommendation from good friends, However, what I found was a game that didn't live out to its praise. For one. You get to choose your class and items and whatnot. The item you can start with that claims it can give gradual health-regen, is a FLAT out lie, all it does is increase your max-health slightly. The dual-wielding swordsman (official name that was given in the game escapes me) class has this parry-move. It works less than a 'one-in-a-bluemoon' moment. Making it really pointless. However, my biggest two problems with this game is this: Swordsmen or Knight/Paladin-type players cannot prosper, or let alone, SURVIVE, in this game. And the one I detest the most. It's bosses and enemies. They are created to be blatantly broken. This is the only game in existance to do this. They are made to frustrate the player, and nothing more. The Maw-BastardSwordwielding Wolf. Dark Souls need to take a advice from the .hack conglomerate, EndofEternity, and Endless Frontier. Utilize your unique monster's design to reflect its power. But more importantly, I looked around online for what weapon I would go for in the game. I eventually (initially) sent my sights towards Zweihander. However, I eventually came to realize that spells and archery are the most effective matters of surviving in this game, making the sword-wielders, in essence, unfavorable. And now, I do love a good challenge, but come on, look at the sword choreography. IT's way too hacky, way too outwardly-angled it's too overexxagerated. Look at that new socalled great game, Bloodbourne. It does the same thing. Expand
  66. Apr 21, 2014
    Amazing, amazing game. I'm in love with Demon Souls, Dark Souls,and now Dark Souls 2. What I find is that although I liked the level design of Dark Souls 1 more, I actually love the soul of dark souls 2. It's difficult to explain - but its as if Dark Souls and Demon Souls had a baby and named it Dark Souls 2. If you played them all you'll understand where I'm coming from. I beat theAmazing, amazing game. I'm in love with Demon Souls, Dark Souls,and now Dark Souls 2. What I find is that although I liked the level design of Dark Souls 1 more, I actually love the soul of dark souls 2. It's difficult to explain - but its as if Dark Souls and Demon Souls had a baby and named it Dark Souls 2. If you played them all you'll understand where I'm coming from. I beat the game in around 70 hours (I don't summon help, and not the best), and I"m already starting again to see what I missed in the first run.

Some complain of the controls. I think they expected to parry and defend themselves like they did in Dark Souls 1. But enemies are new, and have different movements. I had problems at first too - but learned their movements and can parry easily now.

Some are complaining of the graphics. There are bland moments of darkness, but then your eyes are treated to beautiful scenery. You can't have the sweet without the sour.

Anyways - I have about 100 hours logged in and I can easily see playing 100 hours more.
  67. Mar 12, 2014
    Dark Souls 2 is a return to form a la Demon's Souls. DS2 combines many aspects of both of the Souls games into one strangely unique experience. As for the pro, the typical list can be read off of the other Souls games but this one comes with it's fair share of faults. The grafics that were shown in the beta and demos are FAR from the finished product and the net code is degrading at anDark Souls 2 is a return to form a la Demon's Souls. DS2 combines many aspects of both of the Souls games into one strangely unique experience. As for the pro, the typical list can be read off of the other Souls games but this one comes with it's fair share of faults. The grafics that were shown in the beta and demos are FAR from the finished product and the net code is degrading at an impressive pace. Given time, the later can be mended but the grafical decrease can not. Other than that, still a very fun ride. Expand
  68. Mar 20, 2014
    The game is hard, no lie. It's not the kind of game where you enter a room full of zombies and blast them away first try. Dark Souls 2 teaches critical thinking: When to attack, which weapon is most suited, how to use your stamina efficiently.

There's plenty of roleplaying. As soon as you find a weapon or spell, you'll want to use it immediately. Go dual swords, become grim reaper like, whip people into submission, the choices are unlimited.

This is one of those games that in order to enjoy fully, you have to walk in blindfolded with no guide or wiki. Every secret passage discovered and enemy you kill gives self-satisfying confidence and encourages you to believe "I carve my own destiny!"
  69. Apr 24, 2014
    Dark Souls 2 is much like its predecessors, Demon's Souls and Dark Souls. However this game allows for a little more exploration than the others. Constantly looking around every corner and trying to find hidden goodies is always a fun experience. The backstabbing mechanic has been changed too so there is a little more variety in the animations. Not much has changed really.

While the

While the enemies and bosses were not all that challenging, the difficulty from this game derives from poor programming and clunky controls. I often find myself doing actions around half a second to a few seconds later after pushing the button. Can't say how many times I've seen enemies fire projectiles through walls or just slash through them and hit the player, too much to count is for sure. The thing stopping my arrows from hitting the enemy isn't their shields or armor, no it's invisible walls. Locking on to enemies can be a chore too, I find myself dying from the game forcing me to stop locking on and making me take all attacks in the back.

The graphics in this game are nothing special. As a matter of fact, the textures are headache inducing and the same pattern is repeated over and over. Look at a wall and you will see the same rock pattern go on forever. This is used too often in the game and makes it look poorly made.

Despite all these flaws, the game is still somehow entertaining. I enjoy fighting things up close and defending with my shield. When the controls do as I want, it is very fun. It's also exciting to get new gear and upgrade. Character progression always feels satisfying and rewarding.

Overall, this is a fun game for those who aren't reckless and aren't too serious. If you are serious and get frustrated easily, do not play this. If you enjoy exploring and pimping out your character with all kinds of new gear, this game should be right up your alley.
  70. Mar 19, 2014
    Absolutely stunning game which is almost a continuation of the last game.

I noticed a few people have mentioned the graphics, which do look a little worse than the previews. Possibly due to compression at the end of the development. That said if you are playing this game just for the graphics then you shouldn't bother as its all about the gameplay.
  71. Mar 11, 2014
    Note: I have not finished this game, I have only played approximately 8 hours of it. I will do a brief list of pros and cons because it's really the easiest way to compare it to the first game. Pros: Combat is more interesting with more ways to counter attack and better magic systems, Enemy AI is improved (still not perfect, of course), immediately available fast travel, more encouragementNote: I have not finished this game, I have only played approximately 8 hours of it. I will do a brief list of pros and cons because it's really the easiest way to compare it to the first game. Pros: Combat is more interesting with more ways to counter attack and better magic systems, Enemy AI is improved (still not perfect, of course), immediately available fast travel, more encouragement for online play through the new humanity system, vastly improved covenants, better stats, more diverse and interesting environments (there are some seriously cool places). Cons: One single leveling location - such a time waster, sound design isn't as good... that's about it.

So far it seems like a great game.
  72. May 30, 2016
    an amzing game by any tandards and the only reason this is getting a 9 is because i played dark souls 1 and demons souls before this and they were better in my opinion. There is still so much to do and its massive fun once you get into but i found that the little story there is was less interesting and i wa unhappy at not being able to chose my ending even thogh it was possible in the lastan amzing game by any tandards and the only reason this is getting a 9 is because i played dark souls 1 and demons souls before this and they were better in my opinion. There is still so much to do and its massive fun once you get into but i found that the little story there is was less interesting and i wa unhappy at not being able to chose my ending even thogh it was possible in the last 2 games. Once again though there is a not fun area to go through which they have done in all the games through the valley of defilement, Blighttown, and this time the gutter. If you have played all three games you will also know how bad these areas are and also that they are all the same. The main reason i did not enjoy it as the other games is that the bosse where less original and memorable and the game was easier which is the games main appeal. There are some improvements like more ring slots and power stance but theyre not much else compare to what dark souls 1 brought to the table from demons souls that ws the improvement i was hoping Expand
  73. UCA
    May 5, 2014
    It's a diffcult game. But I think this game is too simple because you really only can be two skills, dodge an attack and attack with your weapon or magic.
  74. Mar 2, 2017
    This was one of my weirdest yet greatest experiences with video games on my PlayStation 3. I bought Dark Souls 2 knowing that it is a very hard game, but I would never knew what was waiting for me. My first 8-10 hours were terrible, it was something new for me, the simplest enemy could kill me, I even thought about regretting my purchase. After two weeks, I played it again and started toThis was one of my weirdest yet greatest experiences with video games on my PlayStation 3. I bought Dark Souls 2 knowing that it is a very hard game, but I would never knew what was waiting for me. My first 8-10 hours were terrible, it was something new for me, the simplest enemy could kill me, I even thought about regretting my purchase. After two weeks, I played it again and started to understand its mechanics, I was dying less frequently and finally I was able to continue with the story.

I like the way Dark Souls 2 tells its story, by separating it between most of the land's NPCs (most of their conversations are optional). The game looks amazing and its gameplay is very good, with a very well done learning curve. If you did not play the previous Souls installments like me, you are going to have a rough time during your first hours, but you will eventually start to advance and understand it. Many people say that this game is not hard, that it is just "demanding", but for me... Dark Souls 2 is hard, demanding, and also unfair. Some bosses are great, but hell you are going to be frustrated after being murdered over and over again by the same boss until you finally beat him. That is why I talked about a weird yet great experience, because it is a very hard game but the satisfaction you get after beating a complicated boss or zone... its unique.

The worst thing about this game are its incoherence between some zones, and you will understand me if you play it. For example, there is a location were you can see in the distance a big windmill, whose top is completely destroyed. After defeating the boss there, you access an elevator and... surprise! Suddenly a whole new lava area appears out of nowhere above the windmill.

I am not a RPG-player but I had a great time with this game. It is not perfect, some bosses are not that creative, there is incoherence between some areas, its online matchmaking system is terrible, but it is very replayable, and I like that a lot. There are also epic moments too, and the hardest bosses are a pain in the ass but, as I said, the satisfaction after beating them is fantastic. I also want to remark that Dark Souls 2 punishes death, getting you more tense than a lot of horror games at the hardest parts. I recommend it to anyone. If you did not play any other previous Souls game, you are going to like it a lot.

- Story completed twice between January 2015 and February 2016. Platinum trophy earned. Played for 120 hours (counting two out of three DLCs).
  75. May 14, 2014
    The TRUE GAMERS GAME. Not for gamers that are NOT true gamers. I love the idea that if you want to find out who is a true gamer and who is not amongst your friends and co workers, this is the game to seperate the fake from the real, the boys from the girls. Fight or flight,
  76. Mar 22, 2014
    takes everything good from the past two games, polishes & expands them, & presents them perfectly with rich visuals, sounds & series best atmosphere.
    The world seems more sorted now, connected yet different, open & larger, & bonfire quick-travel ties it brilliantly.
    The types of enemies has increased, so has weapons-items & number of NPCs. Bosses are still unique & intimidating. From Software have maintained quality while increasing quantity!
    Apart from dual-wielding & sorcery getting boosts, combat's unchanged. Equally difficult, yet rewarding. Now smoother & somewhat accessible.
  77. Mar 13, 2014
    this game is awesome. the only reason i didnt give a 10 is, wheres the thief class??? WTF?
    bandit? adventurer? deprived?? come on now.............
  78. Apr 10, 2014
    I loved Demon's souls. I loved Dark souls. So much so, I felt the compulsion to grab all those tricky trophies and finish them both completely. I had high hopes for the sequel.

I was able to look past the graphical downgrade, because lets face it, it's not all about looks is it? As bad as it looks, I carried on regardless. I quite liked the hollow/human system, and the fact that you

I quite liked the hollow/human system, and the fact that you can warp bonfire to bonfire at the get-go. I also liked the vast amount of places to visit. Unfortunately, I felt unsatisfied upon finishing the game.

The game becomes less enjoyable and confusing the deeper you get into it. There is only a vague explanation to what it is you're doing in Drangleic, and there is a great lack of explanation on where to go to finish your quest. Sure, there is plenty of lore to find and read through but it's all too vague. It is so easy to become lost and frustrated on where to go next it can become a real pain. For example I had no idea where to find the final boss, and I didn't understand the relevance of the "giant souls" as it was not explained. As least in the original you had a clear idea of what you were doing, and who you had to defeat in order to link the fires and end the curse to finish the game.

An introduction to "soul level" restricts multiplayer and invader interaction. Infusing weapons is far too easy, and boss soul weapons are weak and too easy to craft. There not even worth creating as they're so underpowered

I must say though the combat was pretty solid, if a little glitchy at times.

All in all, Dark souls 2 feels rushed, unfinished, and disappointing.

It's not a complete disaster mind you, there is some fun to be had here, I just wish more time had been spent of it's flaws.
  79. Jun 2, 2016
    I don't think it's as bad as some Souls purists like to say. Sure, the bosses are way too many and way too easy at times, but the levels for the most part still kept me entertained to the end. Also, it was the only Souls game that kept me interested in the PvP side of things, but that might just be me. It's also a really good entry point for those who think the first Dark Souls is tooI don't think it's as bad as some Souls purists like to say. Sure, the bosses are way too many and way too easy at times, but the levels for the most part still kept me entertained to the end. Also, it was the only Souls game that kept me interested in the PvP side of things, but that might just be me. It's also a really good entry point for those who think the first Dark Souls is too brutal in its delivery, as the game is in many ways a lot easier and traditional in its level design. I know of at least one who decided to give the first Dark Souls another whirl after actually beating DS2, so there's that. I found the sunset atmosphere in Majula particuarly pleasing as well, probably the most pleasing hub area in the whole series. A few major flaws, but still a fantastic game. Expand
  80. Mar 31, 2014
    The horror,the depth,the secrets,the bosses,the darkness,dragons,skeletons,loot,''you died','you died'' -again,and again,again...The joy and rewards when you move forward,the even bigger diff then dark souls 1,the pve,the pvp,the co-op,The story on items,walls,in the air.The world that is so dark has the most beautifull soul that i've seen in my life.This game is for us with souls toThe horror,the depth,the secrets,the bosses,the darkness,dragons,skeletons,loot,''you died','you died'' -again,and again,again...The joy and rewards when you move forward,the even bigger diff then dark souls 1,the pve,the pvp,the co-op,The story on items,walls,in the air.The world that is so dark has the most beautifull soul that i've seen in my life.This game is for us with souls to give,not for casuals,but that's true love for the players,other companies have a lot to learn from 'from' .Dark souls has great pricelles soul,thank you 'from',you are Leonardo da Vinci of our time. Expand
  81. Apr 6, 2014
    This epic sequel offers more content than ever before, and the unique multilayer mechanics are truly working for the first time in the series.

Pros: Melee is balanced with hundreds of viable weapon choices, simplified upgrading and crisp mechanics. Magic has 4 different paths with more options than ever before. Endless hours of fun PvP. Awesome enemy/boss design. Easiest Co-Op in the series. Great incentives for assisting other players. Many options for making the game harder if you find it too easy. Built from the ground up for re-playability with new traps, gear and enemies exclusively to NG+.

Cons: The graphics were downgraded (but are still beautiful - for old consoles), hard skill caps mean you'll be wasting your points if you don't know what you're doing. Some lag in PvP. Voice acting is hit or miss. The music took a turn from the first two which effects the "souls" feel. Nearly absent rumble controls. The "soul memory" system frustrates many friends trying to co-op.

- Lore is even more hidden than DS1, but there DEFINITELY IS a lot there, and there will be deep lore conversations to come.

- Nearly all of the information online and even in guides is false, misleading or inaccurate. You truly know nothing about anything until you do it yourself. If you hear an item or build is overpowered, broken or useless - your personal findings are likely to be much different and more complex than what you had read. Therese just too much going on, too many variables. Even gameplay videos are misleading.

- While the complexity may turn some casual gamers away, complexity leads to longevity for those who can't get enough of this game.

After two 100-hour play-throughs, I'm trying very hard not to play my third character in anticipation for the PC release.
  82. Mar 13, 2014
    Dark Souls II is a fantastic sequel. Everything is more polished and refined. The wonderful art direction, incredible enemy design, challenge and the great atmosphere make this game a must buy. This is not for the faint of heart however. You will die and the game requires patience. This doesn't mean it's for only the ''hardcore gamers'', no. It's for everyone to try out. You'll still haveDark Souls II is a fantastic sequel. Everything is more polished and refined. The wonderful art direction, incredible enemy design, challenge and the great atmosphere make this game a must buy. This is not for the faint of heart however. You will die and the game requires patience. This doesn't mean it's for only the ''hardcore gamers'', no. It's for everyone to try out. You'll still have a great experience, even if you somehow don't manage to finish the game up.

Dark Souls II is visually stunning. The art style and varied environments keep the game feeling fresh. Even when you're ''stuck'' in a section of the game world for several hours even, you never feel like something is getting old. You constantly learn something new, whether it's a new attack pattern or a well hidden item.

Just like it's predecessors, Dark Souls II is INCREDIBLY rewarding. Even for a Souls vet, like myself who's put around 2500 hours to both Demon's Souls and Dark Souls combined. You always feel like you're accomplishing something. No developer does it quite like From Software. Today's mainstream franchises feel like a waste of time compared to the Souls series. While, one might argue that the Souls games are mainstream now, with this being the third installment, it still haven't gotten old one bit. From always puts time, love and effort to their games to make sure they're polished and provide the best possible experience. Which probably is why the Souls series is my favorite of this past generation, and i'm sure other people think that as well.

The gameplay is more or less the same. It's still the best combat system around only with some tweaks. Firstly, goodbye invincibility frames when rolling/dodging. This can make some of the first boss encounters feel a little odd, if you're coming from Dark Souls. You might say to yourselves ''THAT DIDN'T EVEN HIT ME!'' but trust me, it did hit you. The hit-boxes are really good in Dark Souls II. The parrying is a bit harder than in the first Dark Souls. It requires more timing and precision.

The lore is still there to be find, even though the core story that you're playing through is explained to you by the various NPCs, the LORE is still there to be found and much speculation to be done.

The boss fights are still incredible, although some of them feel a little too similar to each other, they're still very well designed and deliciously challenging. Here's a hoping for a Next Gen Souls release somewhere down the line. Just take your time From Software!

9.5/10

I rated it a 10 on the score because of the awfully stupid user score system. It's like you're allowing moronic troll children to determine what games people should play. The user score for the Xbox 360 version just keeps going down, it's like one person keeps making accounts to give Dark Souls II zeroes because they have nothing better to do with their life. If you want to see what people REALLY think about the game go see the Playstation 3 section. (unless you're already reading this there, then good for you.)
  83. Mar 19, 2014
    I'll be honest - it's not what I expected. The game itself is solid and brilliant, but for some reason it feels like something is missing. I'm about 20 hours in now with a sorceror but so far the scenery feels a bit repetive (fewer open areas, more corridors and traps). Also, the freedom to explore is limited more as early-game bosses are absolutely required rather than optional. RatherI'll be honest - it's not what I expected. The game itself is solid and brilliant, but for some reason it feels like something is missing. I'm about 20 hours in now with a sorceror but so far the scenery feels a bit repetive (fewer open areas, more corridors and traps). Also, the freedom to explore is limited more as early-game bosses are absolutely required rather than optional. Rather than going the brawn way, I decided to try my luck at a sorceror. How I wish I hadn't. the only way for a sorceror to progress is by finding trainers to learn them new spells (alongside with leveling stats). New staves are almost nonexistent in the early-game, forcing you to keep using the starter staff. It feels wrong, as the other classes get an abundance of weapons. When you finally get to a mage trainer, you purchase a few spells that bring you back on par. It feels bland and boring to have so little variety in weapons while others get plenty. I honestly don't know what FS was thinking, but it makes me feel more like I'm grinding towards the next trainer / boss soul rather than looking in every nook for that potentially awesome weapon. Expand
  84. Mar 25, 2014
    This sequel, of Dark Souls & Demon Souls is many times better than it's predecessors. Not only is it larger and more immersive, than the two previous games; it's much more user friendly. This game introduces fast travel, despawning of enemies and much more weapons. I would recommend you play this game whether you're played the previous 2 games of not, this game is a masterpiece and reallyThis sequel, of Dark Souls & Demon Souls is many times better than it's predecessors. Not only is it larger and more immersive, than the two previous games; it's much more user friendly. This game introduces fast travel, despawning of enemies and much more weapons. I would recommend you play this game whether you're played the previous 2 games of not, this game is a masterpiece and really should be under your radar. Expand
  85. Mar 12, 2014
    I'd give the game a 9.5 if possible, but it's not so we ended up at a 10. The graphics are quite dated. Great for a PS3, sure, but compared to today's titles, it can take quite a while to get used to. That being said, if you love Demon's Souls or Dark Souls, this game delivers in spades. If you can somehow find the strength of will to hold off until the PC release, I would highly suggestI'd give the game a 9.5 if possible, but it's not so we ended up at a 10. The graphics are quite dated. Great for a PS3, sure, but compared to today's titles, it can take quite a while to get used to. That being said, if you love Demon's Souls or Dark Souls, this game delivers in spades. If you can somehow find the strength of will to hold off until the PC release, I would highly suggest doing so. This game equiped with high-end graphics should be counted among one of the best gaming experiences available. Expand
  86. Mar 11, 2014
    All ready a few hours in; and I can tell you if you enjoyed Dark Souls or Demon Souls, you will most definitely enjoy this entry. Most of the features that make it so awesome and exciting remain; and ever so much the challenge is intact. Definitely the game that still gives life to the now "older" systems.
  87. Mar 21, 2014
    This is the first Dark Souls game I've played in this series and I'm now convinced I need to go buy the first one. I was a bit weary of paying $65.00 for a game I new nothing about so I did a lot of research and what I found was nothing like I had ever seen before. I found that tons of reviews of the previous versions is that they were extremely difficult, challenging and rewarding. I alsoThis is the first Dark Souls game I've played in this series and I'm now convinced I need to go buy the first one. I was a bit weary of paying $65.00 for a game I new nothing about so I did a lot of research and what I found was nothing like I had ever seen before. I found that tons of reviews of the previous versions is that they were extremely difficult, challenging and rewarding. I also found that this game isn't for everyone and it's mostly for hardcore gamers. I had to take this challenge and I'm so glad I did. I don't think I've ever had a game that challenges you on the level like Dark Souls 2 does on a consistent basis. From the very beginning, you are tested in your ability to properly block, evade, or roll while finding the right time to attack your opponents. There are countless situations where you need to stop and plan ahead of how you will proceed. You may have to pull one enemy with an arrow while jumping down to evade another and kill two demons below you all at the same time. You also must fight bosses that are extremely tough and it may take quite a few deaths to learn their patterns and figure out how to beat them.

For all of the challenges you will face, this game is also incredibly rewarding! There are tons of gear, armor, and weapons for loot and upgrade. Do you risk a death to obtain an amazing ring? Or do you wait until your stronger and come back later? The beautiful thing is that it's all up to you! You have full customization options of your character and can choose from many different classes and play styles. I'm maybe halfway through and have found around 60 different weapons including: spears, swords, hammers, and bows/crossbows and around 10 different armor sets.

As you make your way through certain areas, the fact that every single creature can literally kill you, this game has a way of instilling fear into you and I find that amazing! I find myself entering new areas with a certain hesitation and with my shield raised in case of an ambush, all the while my hands are literally trembling.

I highly recommend Dark Souls 2 to any player who loves RPGs but wants to take it to the next level! You will experience fear, anger, excitement, despair, and then you will be rewarded, or die.
  88. Mar 13, 2014
    Fromsoft have done it again! Dark Souls 2 is the game we were all hoping for. Brilliant.

One of the changes I did notice more so than others, was my character is a lot slower to start off with. Slow to react, slow to recover and just generally sluggish all round. Took me a while to get used to and twitch reactions weren't coming into play as much as planning out my movements in advance.

Frame rate still drops on my old PS3 in certain areas, but I do plan on switching to PC once it's out.
  89. Apr 22, 2014
    There's no real way to describe this game. Sure, I could tell you that it's amazingly rewarding and deserves every single award it gets. I could tell you to give this game a chance because it's an amazing in-depth rpg that doesn't lose sight of what it's goals are. But truth is, Dark Souls 2 isn't like other RPGs, in fact, calling that is an injustice. Dark souls 2 finds a perfect lineThere's no real way to describe this game. Sure, I could tell you that it's amazingly rewarding and deserves every single award it gets. I could tell you to give this game a chance because it's an amazing in-depth rpg that doesn't lose sight of what it's goals are. But truth is, Dark Souls 2 isn't like other RPGs, in fact, calling that is an injustice. Dark souls 2 finds a perfect line between "barely scratching the surface," and "way too in-depth, maybe I should give up." It has a structured learning curve, and honestly, anyone could pick it up and understand exactly what is happening. It keeps everything simple, it has fantasy elements, there's no doubt, but it doesn't take it over the top creating it's own languages and having back stories and characters that need introductions and full books. Instead, the character don't really matter. You are the character, and your story is waiting. Go ahead, stumble, but learn from your mistakes and appreciate this game like I do. Expand
  90. Mar 11, 2014
    I like to play this game naked and I cut myself and put salt in my wounds... That is truly the way to play the souls series... I also hacked the game already so it would allow me to use my invention my shock therapy device, so every time I die in Dark souls I get an electric shock... It was the only way I learn...When I beat a boss I have been on for a long time, I celebrate by rubbingI like to play this game naked and I cut myself and put salt in my wounds... That is truly the way to play the souls series... I also hacked the game already so it would allow me to use my invention my shock therapy device, so every time I die in Dark souls I get an electric shock... It was the only way I learn...When I beat a boss I have been on for a long time, I celebrate by rubbing peanut butter on my nipples and then I punch myself in the face. So all you guys saying you are true dark souls players......ya right.... Play it with shock therapy while having your nutts in a vice... I think I'm the true fan here, I lost one of my nutts to Demon souls, don't worry I keep it in my tackle box... Rated T Expand
  91. Mar 12, 2014
    Prettier, smoother, tougher, more complex than ever. Dark Souls 2 never holds your hand. Co-op is working great. Jaw dropping experience. I died at least 50 times the first day.
  92. Apr 18, 2014
    An unworthy successor. Following two of the best games I've ever played high standards need to be met, and ds2 doesn't come close. While a great deal of it's failing can be traced to the same deeply flawed decision by the devs to make multiplayer opt out rather than opt in (present in both demon's souls and dark souls) it's disastrous implementation in dark souls 2 pales when compared toAn unworthy successor. Following two of the best games I've ever played high standards need to be met, and ds2 doesn't come close. While a great deal of it's failing can be traced to the same deeply flawed decision by the devs to make multiplayer opt out rather than opt in (present in both demon's souls and dark souls) it's disastrous implementation in dark souls 2 pales when compared to its greatest shortcomings. In both predecessors the threat of having some random fool/player/griefer drop into your game to ruin your day was always a threat and made the lack of pausing, safe zones asinine (level 3 knights shouldn't have to face off against a jerk wearing allant' s armor and a scraping spear, and I shouldn't come back from the bathroom standing next to a bonfire on top of my bloodstain) but now they've raised the bar and guaranteed to over with multiplayer. It's brilliant that the game hangs for a moment to let you know you're being invaded. Not so great when it happens again. And again. And ag... well it was happening again only while you were standing still with all those pauses the first person who invaded ran in for a backstabbing, and you're dead. Not to worry, because things could be worse, at least there aren't places where other players can pull you into their game over and over and over until your equipment is breaking and you run out of supplies and have to quit the area. Well, not before invasionland there aren't.
    As lousy an implementation as is the poorly conceived multiplayer, it shines when compared to the awful camera. The camera was great in demon's souls, doing exactly what I wanted when I wanted. It was till pretty good in dark souls, somewhat twitchy but for the most part it didn't make things more difficult. This time around the camera might be the toughest obstacle in the game. Movements is quick and crisp when trying to make fine adjustments and painfully slow when it needs speed. The cameras behavior being the opposite of what is required at nearly every given moment isn't difficult, it's lazy and frustrating. If that isn't enough, the camera is stellar when compared to the controller. The slightest touch might launch you into a full Sprint, or moving further and further off center may do nothing more than keep you moving at a crawl--until you suddenly take off running. I've also gained no appreciation for the way buttons and triggers work to *maybe* cast spells, use weapons or a shield--or do multiple things all at once, back out of one menu, then the apparent menu, then hop backwards off a cliff, all with a single touch.
    All three souls titles have flaws at their core. This game has failings evwrywhere.
  93. Apr 30, 2014
    Dark Souls 2 is everything I could ever ask for in a video game. There's always something new to discover, even long after the final boss is defeated, and the PvP is deep and rewarding. But what really grabs me is the absolute freedom, lore and very kingdom of Drangleic. It's so rich with depth, beauty and darkness that your journey through each massive zone will be quiet, harrowing,Dark Souls 2 is everything I could ever ask for in a video game. There's always something new to discover, even long after the final boss is defeated, and the PvP is deep and rewarding. But what really grabs me is the absolute freedom, lore and very kingdom of Drangleic. It's so rich with depth, beauty and darkness that your journey through each massive zone will be quiet, harrowing, rewarding and ultimately blissful as you leave your mark and become a part of the world yourself. Expand
  94. Apr 25, 2014
    There is nothing memorable about this title. The worlds and characters that intrigued me in the first two games, Demon's and Dark Souls, are flat and uninteresting in Dark Souls 2. While some fans are still saying "Praise the sun!," a reference to Solaire of Astora from the previous Souls title, you probably won't hear anything being repeated for characters in this title. This game playsThere is nothing memorable about this title. The worlds and characters that intrigued me in the first two games, Demon's and Dark Souls, are flat and uninteresting in Dark Souls 2. While some fans are still saying "Praise the sun!," a reference to Solaire of Astora from the previous Souls title, you probably won't hear anything being repeated for characters in this title. This game plays more like devolved fan fiction, rather than trying to stand on it's own as an interesting new world.

There are plenty of other problems with this title: Lazy level design, illogical item progression, boring bosses (some that are nearly cut and paste from the previous Souls game), a story that really can't stand on it's own, and many other issues.

The game is okay for a short while, but after three builds and one NG+, I called it quits with Dark Souls 2. I'm back to playing the first two games.
  95. Mar 14, 2014
    Great sequel. I had concerns at FromSoft's ability to produce a good sequel after how much praise Dark Souls got. Thankfully, they've delivered a hugely enjoyable game just like the first. They have combined mechanics from both Dark Souls and Demon's Souls to create a new experience which is still true to the series. Dark souls notoriously annoying multiplayer issues have vanished. TheGreat sequel. I had concerns at FromSoft's ability to produce a good sequel after how much praise Dark Souls got. Thankfully, they've delivered a hugely enjoyable game just like the first. They have combined mechanics from both Dark Souls and Demon's Souls to create a new experience which is still true to the series. Dark souls notoriously annoying multiplayer issues have vanished. The single player is as vague and puzzling as you would expect and there is tonnes of lore hidden in NPC dialogues and whatnot. FromSoft have created another stunning game world with beautiful background music. The level design is above anything else I have seen.
    My only criticism is that the textures are fairly low-res. If this game had been released on the PS4 with higher res textures then it would been a 10/10 rating from me.
  96. Mar 11, 2014
    I LOVE THIS GAME from the bottom of my ass. It's the best game i have ever played i just love it the engine just stuns me. I give it 10/10 of the story and the amazing graphic!

My wore may game - Alidengote 2014
  97. Mar 17, 2014
    A poorly executed game overall that falls tragically short of what was shown off in playable builds before the game's release. The thrill of surviving against insane odds is still there, and really the only thing that isn't botched in this sad follow up to Dark Souls. The first thing that really baffled me about this game is how poor the framerate is. It constantly struggles, and oftenA poorly executed game overall that falls tragically short of what was shown off in playable builds before the game's release. The thrill of surviving against insane odds is still there, and really the only thing that isn't botched in this sad follow up to Dark Souls. The first thing that really baffled me about this game is how poor the framerate is. It constantly struggles, and often falls into single-digit territory. If you are fighting more than 2 enemies at once, it's worse than a stop-motion movie from the 30's. Combat as a result feels unresponsive and laggy. There is a perpetual sense of disconnection with the character, they do not move naturally, actions like attacks or evades do not always happen exactly when you expect them to leading to blamelessly getting hit or killed by enemies. The lock-on system is still terrible, even more problematic given the streamlined ranged combat new to this game. The level design is confusing, each area almost seems randomly connected to the next and none of them have anything to do with each other, thematically, narratively, or gameplay-wise, it's like a bunch of ideas were thrown on the cutting board and the designers just went with whatever looked best and strung them all together with ladders, a big door, or maybe a tunnel. The torch is unnecessary and essentially annoying because it takes your shield. I also had to look on the internet just to figure out how to even use it. The interface is still clumsy, and still uses those terrible lists assigned to the D-pad you have to scroll through (one-way only) while being attacked or chased or what-have-you just to perform an action as basic as drinking a potion or casting a specific spell. I just started reaching over with my right hand to switch items/spells so I could do it while moving. On top of all this, the game is more difficult than either predecessor and combines the death penalties of both previous games into a side show of arbitrary punishments: slashing your max life (which also lowers your humanity, since in this game you are a zombie...of course) for every death in addition to losing acquired souls (which are used for everything). Which wouldn't be such a nuisance if I didn't die so often from bad game design and troll-like sucker-punches (enemies who spawn right behind you at bad moments, and don't make much of a sound). At this point I think I would rather just play more Demon's or Dark souls, than spend anymore time with this technical mish-mash. I would say this game feels like a 4, but it gets a 5 for at least sticking to its guns of outrageous difficulty above all else. Too bad none of the ideas panned out, this could have actually been a masterpiece. Expand
  98. Mar 12, 2014
    Picture a perfect game in your head...oh wait you don't have to it's called Dark Souls II and you should get a copy for PS3, XBOX, or PC. ALL HAIL FROMSOFTWARE. PRAISE THE SUN.
  99. Mar 15, 2014
    Sigh...

Why do FROM need to ruin Dark Souls? They had something great going for them. All I can say is, what the heck did they do to the respawn system?! It goes against everything that an RPG and Dark Souls 1 stands for. It's called a ROLE PLAYING GAME for a reason. You cannot farm EQUIPMENT from monsters anymore (goodbye RPG!), you cannot farm SOULS from monsters anymore
    Sigh...

Why do FROM need to ruin Dark Souls?

It's called a ROLE PLAYING GAME for a reason. You cannot farm EQUIPMENT from monsters anymore (goodbye RPG!), you cannot farm SOULS from monsters anymore (goodbye RPG!), you cannot develop PLAYER SKILL by killing mobs a lot of times (goodbye RPG!).

What this entails for the rest of us, FROM is basically forcing us to play ONLINE so we can get more souls from coop. (GOODBYE PLAYER FREEDOM). Those who play offline basically get the short end of the stick.

Why FROM? Why!!
  100. Apr 15, 2014
    Excellent!! Dark Souls 2 improved than Dark Souls 1 actually
    and smooth Frame was Good than Dark Souls 1
    im Love so much FromSoftware
    i found lost memory that playing ghost n goblins

1. Pelit (Finland)
    May 11, 2014
    Dark Souls 2 bears the torch of Dark Souls with honor. No mean feat! [Apr 2014]
  2. Apr 16, 2014
    Even more amazing, and difficult, than Dark Souls.
  3. Apr 16, 2014
    At the end of the day, Dark Souls II uses more subtle changes to find its own flavor and place in the series as a whole, rather than reinventing the wheel.