7.4

1. Jun 23, 2014
    Game was amazing until F2P hit then slowly went downhill still a great game wish i could another mmo that got me hooked liked dcuo did.Game goes down as my all time favorite mmorpg and i have pretty much played all the major mainstream ones.
  2. Oct 15, 2013
    For this review I'm going to go through all the things that happened during my playtime in dc universe online.
    1) Download
    The initional download was nothing extreme, about the same for most downloads. However the first time ou load up the game it does another download that took me 8 hours. Then I had to go through another 3hour update the next month. 2) Screen Size I first played the
    1) Download
    2) Screen Size
    I first played the game on a small tv screen. This meant I couldn't see the text properly and had to either stand too close to the screen or refer to the wiki. I now have a much larger screen and no longer have this problem.
    3) Combat
    The game is not like your standard RPG combat system as it revolves around combos and quick reflexes. This is perfect in a game trying to make you feel like a badass. To give yu an idea of this, one of the first powers you get on the gadget class Is the ability to throw a sticky grenade at enemies.
    4) Charachter Customisation
    This is where the game really shines. So far my characters have been iron man, insane rich man in a neon green suit, guy from watch dogs and (my favourite) pink fat man with eyepatch and ginger Afro wearing a bongadge suit. Sadly most female Charachter look like they are auditioning for a wet shirt contest.
    5) Mission Variety
    Sadly missions are just limited to kill *instert enemy*, collect *instert item obtained from enemy/ground*, interact with *insert some thing that goes away when you hold O* and fight *insert DC Charachter It gets boring after a while.
    6) Teams
    NEVER JOIN A TEAM UNLES YOUR WITH A FRIEND. I teamed up with someone and we both ended up with each others weapons that were supposed to help us. Now we both have a useless weapon and one that is too weak for the enemies we are fighting.
  3. Sep 24, 2013
    This is one of few games that are FREE to download (and play) so I decide to try it. After 3 GBs and later more 12 GB (updates) I finally had play DC Universe (for my bad).
    The intro is really very cool, but the game has nothing to do with it! Completely annoying.
    I don't recommend.
  4. Sep 8, 2013
    With a monthly fee, it made no sense. Free-to-play is the right option for a game which provides some fun but lacks the depth and endless replay value of top MMORPG. At first impact, the combat system proves quite entertaining, although a physical style is less fun than a power-based one. Customization options are very interesting, allowing the player to add up "styles" along withWith a monthly fee, it made no sense. Free-to-play is the right option for a game which provides some fun but lacks the depth and endless replay value of top MMORPG. At first impact, the combat system proves quite entertaining, although a physical style is less fun than a power-based one. Customization options are very interesting, allowing the player to add up "styles" along with powerups. But DC Universe Online just can't manage to stay fresh for more than a month or so, mostly due to a vague plot and a lack of interesting end-game content. Expand
  5. Apr 24, 2013
    DC Universe Online is an awesome game for anyone who loves superheroes!! Some of the missions may just be boring fetch quests... but hey a game that lets me create my own superhero and pick freaking Batman to be my mentor is all good by me!
  6. Apr 14, 2013
    Great game i have been playing for two years just now gettin tired of it .but i always return back because it always have dlc world is huge also lots of pvp modes its just all around great game. missions do get reptitive sometimes its best to do legendary and pay monthly
  7. Jul 13, 2012
    Dc universe online is a great game...There are some problems though just like most mmo's there can be lag and glitches but the game is fantastic.dcu is a action game that also has rpg in it as well.you can customize gear,go on quests and do pvp/raids and just have a great ol time with thousands of people online.the game is free to play now but if you want all the goodies become a LegendaryDc universe online is a great game...There are some problems though just like most mmo's there can be lag and glitches but the game is fantastic.dcu is a action game that also has rpg in it as well.you can customize gear,go on quests and do pvp/raids and just have a great ol time with thousands of people online.the game is free to play now but if you want all the goodies become a Legendary member and the game gets even better. Expand
  8. Jun 19, 2012
    Dc universe online is the only mmo in the ps3. Making a superhero is extremely fun, and entertaining. The maximum level is still very low(30). You get a series of missions depending on your mentor and the objective is to complete them. Once you reach level 30 there is still a lot to do but the missions are not that fun. For a free game I think is really good.
  9. May 23, 2012
    This game is fun and addicting. It is the first MMO I have ever played because I refuse to play a game on PC. Some of the people complaining about the level 30 cutoff obviously did not play the game long enough to realize that isn't the end. It is actually the beginning of the game, after reaching level 30 your new goal is to get better gear and skill points to raise up combat rating whichThis game is fun and addicting. It is the first MMO I have ever played because I refuse to play a game on PC. Some of the people complaining about the level 30 cutoff obviously did not play the game long enough to realize that isn't the end. It is actually the beginning of the game, after reaching level 30 your new goal is to get better gear and skill points to raise up combat rating which is basically your true level in the game being that some missions and raids wont allow you to enter them until you have reached that required level of skill. Overall, this game is fantastic with the exception of a few bugs and glitches, which is understandable with a game like this. It also has a repetative feel at times but it is not consistant. I would say this game deserves at least an 8/10. Expand
  10. Mar 7, 2012
    This was my first time actually playing an MMO. Needless to say I didn't quite enjoy DC Universe Online despite absolutely wanting to. I didn't like the structure of missions, nor did I like the fact I have to wait to get on a server because of so many people. What I did like was the character customization and designated abilities based around hero/villain characters.

I know there are

I know there are better MMOs out there, but this one didn't convince me I need to play more of this type of genre.
  11. Feb 13, 2012
    This game is great, the controls for the PS3 were great, easy to play and do missions, very good for that is not ultra-fan of MMO, the criaçãode character is a bit limited, but no more worlds are great and the skills and powers as well .. Super recommended
  12. Nov 26, 2011
    This is a fantastic action/adventure MMOAG that should not be missed by anyone who's a fan of DC comics and open world game play, online or otherwise. Vibrant aesthetics, familiar charachter voices, authentic DC inspired stories/charachters and locales. Easy and fun gameplay. Tons of customization and rewards that continue to unlock the more you play. Distinct hero and villain campaignsThis is a fantastic action/adventure MMOAG that should not be missed by anyone who's a fan of DC comics and open world game play, online or otherwise. Vibrant aesthetics, familiar charachter voices, authentic DC inspired stories/charachters and locales. Easy and fun gameplay. Tons of customization and rewards that continue to unlock the more you play. Distinct hero and villain campaigns that demand multiple playthroughs. Expand
  13. Nov 13, 2011
    As someone who has played several of SoE's past MMOs this game is a massive disappointment, there are so many technical problems with the game from frequent server crashes to constant freezing. As for the game play I have played worse MMOs but none as tedious as the quests(and missions as well) in this one. The variety of character paths you can go down make it interesting at first butAs someone who has played several of SoE's past MMOs this game is a massive disappointment, there are so many technical problems with the game from frequent server crashes to constant freezing. As for the game play I have played worse MMOs but none as tedious as the quests(and missions as well) in this one. The variety of character paths you can go down make it interesting at first but after you realize how many of those tedious quests you will to go through just to advance down them quickly negates that. One of my favorite MMOs is one that is nearly pure grind based and I would rather sit in a group killing the same thing over and over than have to run around doing the quests here all day. Expand
  14. Nov 7, 2011
    DC Universe Online is an addictive online game. It has repetitive missions but it is really cool because you can create you own superhero and make him/her a legend in an online universe.
  15. Jul 17, 2011
    As an Action MMO, it plays pretty decent. The graphics arent that bad, good customization, gameplay gets a little repetitive though. A good D.C. Universe product none the less.
  16. May 18, 2011

My first impression review was ...

Having a history of online games on the PC I've been counting the days for this PS3 release. Everything you'd expect in an MMO is here and it works extremely well. if you're new to MMO's be warned, there is a lot to learn with this game and it isn't pick up and play like other console games. I've heard many people moaning about this aspect. This game is very rewarding after a few hours play so take this slow. FYI the game takes about two hours to install/update the first time you play Yes it's £9.99 a month, but the best MMO's cost money.

My updated review today (18/05/11) is that this game is a fantastic opening month. With no other MMO on the PS3 I got carried away. To be honest, I've not played it once my subscription run out and the initial 'buzz' I had for it quickly faded. I've since started playing RIFT (on release date) and the candle burns very brightly for it still. Rift is how an MMO should be made.
  17. Mar 17, 2011
    I found the game fun for about 2 weeks and then grew tired of it. Definitely not worth a monthly fee to play. Then I found out that the disks are locked to a single console so I can't even trade it in. Boo! The load screens are many, often, and overly long. Once you get your speed bonus (lvl9 I think) you can travel faster than the game can draw and you end up looking at chunky blocks ofI found the game fun for about 2 weeks and then grew tired of it. Definitely not worth a monthly fee to play. Then I found out that the disks are locked to a single console so I can't even trade it in. Boo! The load screens are many, often, and overly long. Once you get your speed bonus (lvl9 I think) you can travel faster than the game can draw and you end up looking at chunky blocks of scenery that would be buildings if only you would stop for a moment to let the poor thing catch up. Combat and missions are repetitive, once you've completed your first 2 or 3 missions you've pretty much seen everything the game has to offer. Huge disappointment for me all around. Expand
  18. Mar 15, 2011
    Excited for a console MMO I gave it a try, along with a group of friends. None of us played for longer than a week before agrreing this is a turd.For a subscription game this is godawful. Level 30 limit is a joke, locations are empty and dull, quests are boring and feel like chores. Take the night-club bases as an example; no matter which one you are in, the layout is an exact clone of theExcited for a console MMO I gave it a try, along with a group of friends. None of us played for longer than a week before agrreing this is a turd.For a subscription game this is godawful. Level 30 limit is a joke, locations are empty and dull, quests are boring and feel like chores. Take the night-club bases as an example; no matter which one you are in, the layout is an exact clone of the others. Social features have also been poorly integrated imo, making this much, much more painful than it is worse. The only positive attribute I can find is the inclusion of many iconic characters and the voice acting, which is truly awesome. For a short romp it might be alright, but as an mmo with a high life expectation - FAIL (imho). Expand
  19. Feb 23, 2011
    I'll start by saying this is the first MMO I've played, so I can't really compare this to other MMO's, but It definitely lives up to all of my expectations, I would say it even surpasses them. Two things I would say to take into consideration before buying this game: 1)Enjoying comics will improve your experience tenfold. 2) Playing with friends will do the same. If $15 a month isn't tooI'll start by saying this is the first MMO I've played, so I can't really compare this to other MMO's, but It definitely lives up to all of my expectations, I would say it even surpasses them. Two things I would say to take into consideration before buying this game: 1)Enjoying comics will improve your experience tenfold. 2) Playing with friends will do the same. If $15 a month isn't too much for you, go ahead and immerse yourself. You won't regret it. Expand
  20. Feb 4, 2011
    Amazing game that is constantly being updated. Don't rely too heavily on the reviews you see from gaming sites since they review and then forget about it. Yes, the game had it's issues when it was released. Hell, World of Warcraft was unplayable when it came out, but the DCUO team has put out constant updates and it's really turning into an amazing online MMORPG.
  21. Feb 3, 2011
    This game is perfect for DC fans as well as casual and hardcore MMO players. Beautiful graphics, awesome soundtrack and a brand new batch of new content already set to come out this month. There are bugs just like any other new MMO but they will be worked out with time. Love it!
  22. Feb 1, 2011
    Oops! I meant to review the PC version. :( I can't find a way to delete reviews! I'm going to keep adding characters to make this 150 characters long. Wish I could delete this!
  23. Jan 31, 2011
    I think it's getting a bit of unnecessary bad press...
    Yes the install takes a while, yes there a lots of bugs (LOTS), but when it works, it works very well...
    I've just reached the level cap as a villain - it's taken me about 3 weeks of on/off to get there - not finished all the missions and LOADS of things unlock when you do reach it (more than enough to keep you going) Will I renew? Not
    I think it's getting a bit of unnecessary bad press...
    Will I renew? Not immediately - I'm going to wait a month to see if they fix the bugs / add more content...
    A blast for a month though, but you'll have seen pretty much all there is to see in that time...
  24. Jan 28, 2011
    Wow! I love reading negative reviews, you can tell two things about these reviews! 1. They never played an MMO before or don't know how an MMO works! 2. They haven't really played the game. I read how people are complaining about the install, yes, it does take a while, welcome to the world of MMOs! If I were to install City of Heroes or World of Warcraft right now, I wouldn't be able toWow! I love reading negative reviews, you can tell two things about these reviews! 1. They never played an MMO before or don't know how an MMO works! 2. They haven't really played the game. I read how people are complaining about the install, yes, it does take a while, welcome to the world of MMOs! If I were to install City of Heroes or World of Warcraft right now, I wouldn't be able to log until 4 hours later. MMOs are huge and for a console MMO this game is amazing. Now about the bugs and servers going down. Every MMO starts out rough, I bought City of Heroes at Launch and it was going through maintenance like crazy, people should be happy that this game is constantly being worked on 24/7! Besides, they shut down the servers at 4 am for like an hour, even the most successful MMO gets worked on and servers go down for maintenance. GET OVER IT!

I'll give you two points of view for this game. Myself - I've played two of the top MMOs, I'm a console and PC gamer and I know the basic knowledge of DC characters and their background. My friend - hes never played an MMO, he's a hardcore console gamer and probably knows a little more about DC than myself. I bought the game at launch and convinced him to purchase it a week later, since then we've been hooked! The game is addicting and FUN! Some people say its repetitive, but what MMO isn't? IE. go collect 10 items, go kill 20 thugs, go kill 10 trolls, etc. Seriously, you don't even notice because every story behind each mission is different, plus, its bonus playing with the characters you've grown to love!

The graphics are amazing, the control is great, they just fixed voice chat, teaming up with other heroes/villains and watching their powers collide is AWESOME! You will definitely love this game if you're a fan of DC! I'm a huge Batman fan and I get excited every time he contacts me for a new mission or when I get to fight along side him!

Its upsetting to see people bad mouth this game when it IS a GREAT game! Is it a contender for WOW? I don't think any MMO can step in the ring next to WOW, but I do believe its a top 5 MMO and its only gonna get better!
  25. Jan 27, 2011
    I like the game in the early levels. However, I do think it gets repetitive over time. I am mostly frustrated by the lack of space to fight mobs and the fast respawn rate. In some respects, I find the game hard to play with any strategy. I do like the fact that the game is faster combat than other mmos. The problems begin to occur when you are unable to crowd control and target unitsI like the game in the early levels. However, I do think it gets repetitive over time. I am mostly frustrated by the lack of space to fight mobs and the fast respawn rate. In some respects, I find the game hard to play with any strategy. I do like the fact that the game is faster combat than other mmos. The problems begin to occur when you are unable to crowd control and target units effectively. Some of the city really is empty of other people. I think of GTA without the pedestrians and other people walking around. While each of the cities are really fun to travel through, I fund that you basically only travel to where you next mission is located. I don't think I will be paying $15 a month for this game. The content is to shallow and its is gimmicky in a lot of ways. I want a deeper experience in an mmo that I pay for. Pros: neat combat system, cities, superheroes, travel
    Cons: targeting, emptiness, broken rendering, shallow questing, short term play through
  26. Jan 26, 2011
    DC Universe Online

DC Universe Online

I'm not much of a loyal MMO player, I might pick up a prepaid WoW card and play it for 2 months when the console release schedule is a bit slim, but I'm not the kind of player who will play an MMO all day and let the rest of the world fade away. I did play a lot of Phantasy Star Online back in the Dreamcast era but the first version of that game was free to play. DC Universe is similar in the fact that its on a home console and it plays well with just a controller, but after your initial 30 days are up, you have to pay $15 a month after that. Console players are not used to subscription fees, even though Phantasy Star Universe and Final Fantasy XI did charge them, the server population is low, it they are still up , in the case of PSU. So the question is, "Is the game worth the $15 fee?" I hope to give you enough information to decide that for yourself.

The game starts you off with an excellent character creation menu, where you can have the same powers of some of DC greatest heroes or villains, or you can pick them from a custom menu. after that, you get to pick a mentor: Superman, Batman, or Wonder Woman for heroes or Lex Luthor, The Joke, or Circe for Villains I picked plant powers, flight for my movement, and dual swords as my weapon type. I call him "The Mulcher." After creating a character, you get sent to Brainiac's ship where you battle through easy enemies with the game explaining how to fight and use your powers. At the end you are assisted by either Superman or Lex depending if you picked hero or villain. the early missions and starting point are determined by your mentor. Then you start getting quests and it follows the route of a typical MMO, but combat is in real time. You perform combos on your controller to use special attacks once you unlock them from your skill tree as you level up, but the game just seems to end up being a button masher, also speaking of levels, the level cap is 30. You also also have to be level 30 to go on raids, which makes no sense to me. the only reason I play missions is to grind, not to be able to play more missions. After hitting 30, I decided to make another character, this time a villain with Fire powers and super speed, named "Hot Sam." the game is a little different when you are a villain, but you often end up in the same locales playing similar missions. The game also seems a big buggy for a game that I had to download several software updates for. How big of patches, well a 135MB title update, then a 16GB install off the Blu-Ray, then a 2GB download from within the game. It took hours just to play it. I still get some major bugs. I've gotten stuck in debris, quests were not being registered as complete even though I completed them and watched the cutscene afterward and worst of all, crash bugs. If Sony Online Entertainment can get these bugs fixed, raise the level cap, and expand the game for no additional cost, then it will be worth the $15 dollars a month. Score: 6 out of 10

Notes: The version reviewed is for the PlayStation 3. Wally bought the game with his own hard earned money.
  27. Jan 25, 2011
    I've played about 10 mmorpgs. you'll love this one if you like action and twitch combat. You won't if you like wow. Loads of fun, bit of a gank fest but you get to kick some serious ass & the powers/travel system is very immersive
  28. Jan 24, 2011
    This is a fantastic action/adventure MMOAG that should not be missed by anyone who's a fan of DC comics and open world game play, online or otherwise. Vibrant aesthetics, familiar charachter voices, authentic DC inspired stories/charachters and locales. Easy and fun gameplay. Tons of customization and rewards that continue to unlock the more you play. Distinct hero and villain campaignsThis is a fantastic action/adventure MMOAG that should not be missed by anyone who's a fan of DC comics and open world game play, online or otherwise. Vibrant aesthetics, familiar charachter voices, authentic DC inspired stories/charachters and locales. Easy and fun gameplay. Tons of customization and rewards that continue to unlock the more you play. Distinct hero and villain campaigns that demand multiple playthroughs. An active community with someone always willing to help you beat a level in PVE or take you on in PVP. Lots of endgame content already with more to come. Nevermind the hater reviews that played it for 5 minutes and rated it down because they couldn't even get past the first mission LOL, or that complained the servers were down a couple hours because the game is so popular the developer needed to add additional servers. This has been a very smooth MMO launch which by nature are usually rough (ie Warcraft). Getting online on the console is easy and hassle free after the initial install, and once online the controls and combat are so easy, intuitive and effective that even kids could enjoy it. The first must-play of 2011. Expand
  29. Jan 24, 2011
    This is an MMORPG... since it's one of the first mmo's to go to a console it's getting people buying it who probably wouldnt usually buy an mmorpg... so they don't know what to expect. You will have to wait about 3 hours for it to download and install an update, if your looking for a game with a compelling story... probably not the place for you... if you always wanted to make your ownThis is an MMORPG... since it's one of the first mmo's to go to a console it's getting people buying it who probably wouldnt usually buy an mmorpg... so they don't know what to expect. You will have to wait about 3 hours for it to download and install an update, if your looking for a game with a compelling story... probably not the place for you... if you always wanted to make your own super hero. You'll love it. For fans of mmo's I'd recommend it. It has the usual, fun missions to do and fun pvp too instead of the usual warriors and magicians you are now a super hero! you have a huge amount of powers to choose from, skills and weapons you can almost be any thing you can think of. Expand
  30. Jan 22, 2011
    LittleBigPlanet 2 summed up in one word is 'Amazing'. For some reason official sites didn't like the story mode too much, but personally, I have been playing with another person and it was extreamly fun. The community of people creating levels are brilliant. There are a few problems such as long load times, but they do little to nothing to hinder the experience. 10/10
  31. Jan 22, 2011
    Fantastic game. Much better than I expected from a launch MMO. Chock full of content. Gameplay is refreshing and very easy to get into. Love the "No Grind" style. A Few bugs to be patched, but so is the life of an MMO. I will definitely be playing this for a while. I have found my WOW replacement.
  32. Jan 21, 2011
    Ok guys i am going to review this to save a bunch of people there hard earned $60 dollars. Dont buy this game. I am a huge gamer and was super excited about this game but i got it played for a couple of hours and kept thinking, "this is super lame." It reminds me of Infamous with a bunch of other people playing online. Infamous was way more fun and was actually execution with polish and aOk guys i am going to review this to save a bunch of people there hard earned $60 dollars. Dont buy this game. I am a huge gamer and was super excited about this game but i got it played for a couple of hours and kept thinking, "this is super lame." It reminds me of Infamous with a bunch of other people playing online. Infamous was way more fun and was actually execution with polish and a good story. Now this game is not polished. The graphics downright suck. Now that wouldn't bother me if the game itself was a ton of fun - but its not. All these people giving it praise are sucking on the hype teet. This game is nothing to get excited over and that's actually my biggest problem with it. It just isn't fun. I am a very open minded gamer - not just some troll who plays COD all day everyday and thinks every other game sucks. I loved Fallout, GTA4, MGS4, Uncharted, Bioshock ect. but hey lets get real this game is no gem. It feels like it was made 8 years ago. The animations are downright pathetic and actually laughable. The cinematic, which is the trailer, at the beginning of the game is great. I thought wow! this is gonna be awesome - boys was off. The powers feel weak, the sound is horrible - for some reason most of the action sound effects are directed to the back speakers- wtf? And to think that they are asking $14.99 a month? Insane! Even without a monthly charge it would not be worth playing. So for all of you out there wondering - "Should i give a try?" Don't. - There has only been 3 reviews thus far and just give it some time - i would bet the Metacritic score when its all said in done will be no higher than a 73.â Expand
  33. Jan 21, 2011
    this was only one of a few mmo's i have played. and easily the worst of the few. it has a massive install.14 - 16gbs. and 2 - 4hrs of install. the graphics arent bad, and the customization is pretty cool. when you do finally start the game its pretty fun. the whole first mission is fun. then you get into the real world, when nothing that was fun about the beginning is still there. yourthis was only one of a few mmo's i have played. and easily the worst of the few. it has a massive install.14 - 16gbs. and 2 - 4hrs of install. the graphics arent bad, and the customization is pretty cool. when you do finally start the game its pretty fun. the whole first mission is fun. then you get into the real world, when nothing that was fun about the beginning is still there. your combat slows to a crawl, and system freezing bugs are all over. not to mention no apparent balance for the enemies you fight. the first mission i took, the enemies were 3 - 5 levels higher then me, and in order to beat them i had to fight using guerilla tactics. this game has found a way to turn every hero or villain you make into a blubbering superman choking on kryptonite. Expand
  34. Jan 21, 2011
    Fired up this MMO last night on the PS3, didn't really know what to expect as the only similar game I've played is City of Heroes on PC. Got to say that once you've done the downloading n stuff - this really is a superb gaming experience!
    DC Universe Online empowers you and delivers the feeling of 'being' a superhero better than any console game to date (I liked Crackdown, inFamous and Batman AA too but none can touch DCUO).
    After playing the first few missions I'm absolutely hooked, can't wait to see what happens next in the story - I'm working for Lex Luthor and having a blast taking down cops, minor superheroes and capturing innocent people on which to 'trial' a new drug...
    In fact I'm itching to get back on it already - don't think I'll be doing much else this weekend!
    The PS3 has become the new place for fantastic MMO experience - highly recommended!!
  35. Jan 21, 2011
    The four MMO I played and, I think, at this moment, the great (though I haven't played WoW).
    This game is perfect for me. I don't like medieval atmosphere much and the slow paced combats in others MMO tired me quickly. The game system combat is similar to Phantasy Star with more complexity and a wider range of combos and abilities, the atmosphere is better than City of Heroes or Champions Online and, finally, graphics are solid and even impressive in some circumstances or locations.
    SOE, still, has to do some working to fix the bugs and add more content, but this is an awesome beginning for a MMO.
  36. Jan 20, 2011
    If you live in South East Asia / Oceania i.e. Australia, Singapore, New Zealand etc then you should absolutely NOT buy this game. The game is completely and utterly broken and does not get passed the first tutorial. This has affected thousands of players who are being told no refunds are possible.

Keep in mind that I was invited into the Beta testing on December 18th and it was an issue on that day, it continued to be an issue that recieved no response from any of the Devs during that time During the Beta stage I recieved one update, 1.02. The same dll as launch day.... when I saw that update my heart sunk and I knew the problem hadn't been fixed.

But here is what everyone may not be aware of......It's not just a problem with the Brainiac / Overseer level it's a problem throughout the game itself.

I was able to play this game on two occassions during the three weeks I was in the Beta and I was trying a couple of times a day!! I eventually got some time in the game (random, no reason why) and made my way into Metropolis, Gotham and the Watchtower and had a great time playing it.

However once I jumped out and tried to log back in again the EXACT same freezing issue would present itself in ANY of the playing areas. It's not a problem located at just the tutorial level
  37. Jan 20, 2011
    This isn't the greatest game ever but it certainly keeps me entertained so far. The missions are fairly repetitive, usually go to a certain location and defeat x amount of enemies and deactivate/activate x amount of items but I'm finding it fun so far. The world is generally deserted - don't expect to find much life on these streets. On the other hand adding extra NPC's to the mix forThis isn't the greatest game ever but it certainly keeps me entertained so far. The missions are fairly repetitive, usually go to a certain location and defeat x amount of enemies and deactivate/activate x amount of items but I'm finding it fun so far. The world is generally deserted - don't expect to find much life on these streets. On the other hand adding extra NPC's to the mix for ambiance would only slow the game down. It took me about 4 hours to load the game using DSL but I haven't had any freezing or slowdown to speak of since purchasing about a week ago. The combat basically boils down to button mashing if you want to keep things simple. However, each character has special abilities that are accessed through a tree that you can alter each time your character levels up. Using the abilities (by pressing L2 or R2 and a face button) makes battle a lot easier. The worst thing about this game, for me, is the text. I play on a 50" 1080p television and the text is very hard to read. I haven't used any of the chat capabilities or joined a league because of this issue. The text box is also located at the far left bottom corner of the screen and no matter what I do the left side of the text box is cut off. I adjusted the sliders in the option menu as far as they can go (which makes the text even smaller) but still no luck. I'm not %100 sure how much fun this game will be in the long run though because, as I said, it is repetitive. Expand
  38. Jan 20, 2011
    I've played DC Universe Online for about 50 hours now and I really, really like the game. It handles great using the PS3 controller and the whole world immerses you into the DC Universe perfectly. The character customization allows you to create your own Identity while keeping the stat bonuses of a strong piece of armour which is very important. I have yet to meet anyone who looks like myI've played DC Universe Online for about 50 hours now and I really, really like the game. It handles great using the PS3 controller and the whole world immerses you into the DC Universe perfectly. The character customization allows you to create your own Identity while keeping the stat bonuses of a strong piece of armour which is very important. I have yet to meet anyone who looks like my character except for people using the same colors and I've meet thousands of people in my 50 hours of play. The DCUO community is very friendly and joining a group is very easy. The gameplay is very addictive and there is hundreds of quests to do along with PVP game modes and other multi group activities. The choice of which mentor changes each playthrough in such a way that starting a new character with a different mentor and power changes the story and gameplay so much that it feels like your playing a different game altogether. If your an MMO fan then you should at least try the game out and if your a comic fan then you should definitely get DCUO. It doesn't disappoint. The game has a few issues right now with some minor bugs but considering the scale of the game and the fact that its a new MMO I'd say in 3 months the game will be perfect from every point of few.â Expand
  39. Jan 19, 2011
    Kinda fun for a while as a console game, but that runs out pretty quick as it just doesn't have the depth. As an MMO it really trails behind what has come before it, the console version may last a while due to its uniqueness but this thing is DOA for the PC.
  40. Jan 19, 2011
    The first MMO I've played and actually enjoyed playing. I played a bit of WoW, which was nothing more than a Chore. I played CoH/V which was pretty good and had great customization, but the gameplay and looting was lacking. I then played Champions online which was just OK. I swore off MMOs for good at that point since none of them satisfied me. Then I heard the praise it was getting from aThe first MMO I've played and actually enjoyed playing. I played a bit of WoW, which was nothing more than a Chore. I played CoH/V which was pretty good and had great customization, but the gameplay and looting was lacking. I then played Champions online which was just OK. I swore off MMOs for good at that point since none of them satisfied me. Then I heard the praise it was getting from a video game site which usually hates every game so I decided to give it a try. After waiting 4 hours for it to install, I finally jumped in. To my dismay, I was unimpressed, but I kept going. After an hour the game's fun meter jumped. I suggest you play it if you are even somewhat interested. The customization isn't as deep and rich as Champions or the City of X games, but the way the powers combine is amazing. Also, you can walk on water if you have acrobatics. Expand
  41. Jan 18, 2011
    Once the game is playable (and it takes time, patience and, in my case, a brand new PS3), the concept and initial execution is incredible! The choices of creating your own character was half the fun. Playing it, so far, has been a lot of fun, though I'm regretting some of my character's powers. I was very irritated at the large chunk of size it sucks up on the PS3 and the multitude ofOnce the game is playable (and it takes time, patience and, in my case, a brand new PS3), the concept and initial execution is incredible! The choices of creating your own character was half the fun. Playing it, so far, has been a lot of fun, though I'm regretting some of my character's powers. I was very irritated at the large chunk of size it sucks up on the PS3 and the multitude of updates it took to even start the game, but once I was past it, I enjoyed it. I can't help but think this could have been executed a little better given the hype and build up of this game, but I'm sure it's the perfectionist in me. If you have anything but the 40GB PS3 and love MMOs, DC Universe Online is well worth the $60. Expand
  42. Jan 18, 2011
    I don't know if I'm taking crazy pills or what. I've played this game for 15+ hours and still cannot find out why people find it so appealing. I keep playing not because I'm enjoying myself, but because I'm desperately trying to find out where this secret area is that deserves so many 10 star ratings. The animation is an absolute joke. Don't agree? Try the acrobat class. You look likeI don't know if I'm taking crazy pills or what. I've played this game for 15+ hours and still cannot find out why people find it so appealing. I keep playing not because I'm enjoying myself, but because I'm desperately trying to find out where this secret area is that deserves so many 10 star ratings. The animation is an absolute joke. Don't agree? Try the acrobat class. You look like you're programmed by an epileptic coke head using garys mod. Need to escape combat and have the ability to fly or run faster then the speed of sound? TOO BAD because every enemy has an ability to stop you from running away and "GROUNDING" you so that your flight or speed ability is reduced to nothing more then saving money on cab fare. And it's not like traveling is all that important anyway. 90% of the city is buildings and EMPTY streets with an occasional single civilian or grouping of 6 cars. And if you so much as look at one of the cars wrong the driver becomes suicidal and drives in a strait line before hitting the self destruct an hero button. The polygon mapping is slower then a dead snails **** and don't hit the start button to pull up the map unless you plan on taking a dump while it loads. Speaking of loads it loads up to 14 GIGS on the PS3. I mean seriously guys, why go through the trouble of making a game on a bluray disc if you are going to only have it contain a single line of text and an 8 bit color swatch?! It LITERALLY takes 3-4 hours before you can even begin to walk your first time putting this piece of garbage into your ps3. If I was going to waste time with a timesink of boredom such as this I'd rather count how many gallons of raccoon urine it takes to kill each and every comic book geek in denial of how gawd awful this game is after waiting for it for so long and has a beat red face for nerdraging over reading this review. Expand
  43. Jan 18, 2011
    If you can overlook the technical issues, DCUO has the potential to overtake the WoW juggernaut. Playing a superhero (or villain) alongside the greatest heroes and villains is a comic book fan's dream come true. Any MMO is going to have trouble at launch, but with Sony and DC working together, there's a lot to look forward to. Fast-paced combat with great customization options. You couldIf you can overlook the technical issues, DCUO has the potential to overtake the WoW juggernaut. Playing a superhero (or villain) alongside the greatest heroes and villains is a comic book fan's dream come true. Any MMO is going to have trouble at launch, but with Sony and DC working together, there's a lot to look forward to. Fast-paced combat with great customization options. You could spend an hour just building your character. There's not as many custom options as City of Heroes, but it's definitely enough. A must-play for any DC comics fan. Expand
  44. Jan 17, 2011
    This game is AWESOME. The level of customization for your hero or villain is deep in fact I spent hours creating characters which is tons of fun. They absolutely nailed flight control for your hero. True it took 2 hours to download the game but so what. The graphics are amazing the voice talent is incredible. I have played WOW, Warhammer online and Everquest and this is by far theThis game is AWESOME. The level of customization for your hero or villain is deep in fact I spent hours creating characters which is tons of fun. They absolutely nailed flight control for your hero. True it took 2 hours to download the game but so what. The graphics are amazing the voice talent is incredible. I have played WOW, Warhammer online and Everquest and this is by far the most entertaining MMO i have ever played. My only complaint is the in game menu is slow awkard. Expand
  45. Jan 16, 2011
    Ok, these guys aren't Blizzard who have been doing MMO's for a while they are new at it. Seriously what game out there can you be a super hero along with your childhood favorites. I am a child of Batman. What about you? The only thing holding this back from a ten is the server problems, and the download time spent when I got the game. Other than that this is the best game RPB MMO in a veryOk, these guys aren't Blizzard who have been doing MMO's for a while they are new at it. Seriously what game out there can you be a super hero along with your childhood favorites. I am a child of Batman. What about you? The only thing holding this back from a ten is the server problems, and the download time spent when I got the game. Other than that this is the best game RPB MMO in a very long time. Let's just hope they take the advice from us the players and upgrade a few of the bugs. Expand
  46. Jan 14, 2011
    It's really annoying that when you first start the game, it takes over an hour to download about 13gb. What's the point of using a bluray disc if you're just going to have to download the entire game anyway(or at least a large part of it)?
  47. Jan 13, 2011
    First Review! (which is surprising)

First Review! (which is surprising)

I have played many MMOs and not many have been able to hold my attention. The only 2 to hold it has been WoW and Final Fantasy 11, and now DC Universe Online has my attention. I think the combat is fun and actually makes you feel like your are controling a super hero with super powers. The amount of customization is great as well as the choices for classes (fire, ice, mental, etc).

I was skeptical about the control scheme on a console but I believe they managed to pull it off. With a press of L2 or R2 your abilities or spells are right there at your disposal, also with a gadget and consumable at your fingertips. The only problem that I have with the game is that the menus IN game are a little clunky and slow, hopefully they will fix this problem. But I am looking foreword to the inevitable content patches and expansion packs. I look foreword to continuing this game and trying out the end level content. If you are a fan of MMOs I highly suggest this game, especially if you are a DC fan!

RAPTORLunchbox
  48. May 18, 2011

1. Apr 6, 2011
    DCUO, as first console-MMORPG, can be considered a good start; it's basically a Hack'n'slash, with an interesting history and RPG elements, but some missions are repetitive and there are a lot of graphic bugs. However, the monthly major updates promised by Sony On Line justify the subscription, especially for DC Fans.
  2. games(TM)
    Mar 23, 2011
    Superb when everything comes together, hugely frustrating when it doesn't. [Issue#107, p.96]
  3. Playstation Official Magazine Australia
    Mar 17, 2011
    The fighting component, however, is where the game hits a stumbling block. More depth to the combat could have really made this a winner, as you really only have a dozen or so regular attacks and "specials" (and that's when you level cap out at 30) combined, so it can get old after a while. SOE may be hard pressed to sustain interest. [April 2011, p.76]