5.9

1. Apr 25, 2013
    After playing through most of this game, I can honestly say that it is more of the same. However, that is a GOOD thing. The original Dead Island was a blast to play and this game is just as much fun. Not every game needs to have a great story or acting to be considered a great game. Some games are just plain fun and Dead Island Riptide delivers on that. If you loved the first one, you'llAfter playing through most of this game, I can honestly say that it is more of the same. However, that is a GOOD thing. The original Dead Island was a blast to play and this game is just as much fun. Not every game needs to have a great story or acting to be considered a great game. Some games are just plain fun and Dead Island Riptide delivers on that. If you loved the first one, you'll love this one too. Expand
  2. Nov 12, 2013
    Wonderful graphic improvements the color is better then the first and i see the infected slowed down the new zombies are cool the boat travel was fun and i loved the new weapons this game is awesome and very addictive i played this for 6 months straight
  3. Apr 25, 2013
    Ok, I understand there is not alot of new features here and the voice acting sucks, but I love Dead Island as well as 5 million other people. To sell 5 million copies says something. Yes this may not be a direct sequel but it is a continuation of the story and a reason to play more Dead Island. I really enjoyed the gameplay and rpg elements that dead island had to offer, so why shouldOk, I understand there is not alot of new features here and the voice acting sucks, but I love Dead Island as well as 5 million other people. To sell 5 million copies says something. Yes this may not be a direct sequel but it is a continuation of the story and a reason to play more Dead Island. I really enjoyed the gameplay and rpg elements that dead island had to offer, so why should Techland go back to the drawing board. People get over it, there are minor changes in God of War Ascension compared to 3, and people are not rating it a 3 or 4. Riptide is a fun game with new ideas and some improvements. All of Dead Islands issues were not addressed, but when you push out the game in 19 months, you have to cut them some slack. I would much rather have a new Dead Island every 2 years than wait 3 to 4 years for a "true sequel" The gameplay is why we like Dead Island. Techland, please work on the story for the next game though. Collapse
  4. Apr 25, 2013
    I feel like there was not a lot of new features but the new quests, character and whole new map was fun to hack, crush and slash my way through. It just feels so satisfying stompin' heads. It did sell at 50 dollars instead of 60 so I felt happy about that aswell. The glitches can be bad but there was a patch released today and It fixed some of them. I feel you should buy this if youI feel like there was not a lot of new features but the new quests, character and whole new map was fun to hack, crush and slash my way through. It just feels so satisfying stompin' heads. It did sell at 50 dollars instead of 60 so I felt happy about that aswell. The glitches can be bad but there was a patch released today and It fixed some of them. I feel you should buy this if you enjoyed the previous game or if you like zombie games in general. Expand
  5. Apr 23, 2013
    While this game is priced cheaper than a regular new game, I still think it's sweet spot would be about 10 dollars less in North america than it released at. There is a lot here that might seem too familar at it's current price point. Having said that, I was a big fan of the original (played it 4 times with each character), and there are enough tweaks and new content (the new island, whichWhile this game is priced cheaper than a regular new game, I still think it's sweet spot would be about 10 dollars less in North america than it released at. There is a lot here that might seem too familar at it's current price point. Having said that, I was a big fan of the original (played it 4 times with each character), and there are enough tweaks and new content (the new island, which is absolutely beautiful, being the lions share of the "new") here to keep me happy.

Bottom line, if you enjoyed the first one, you should enjoy this. If you were tired of the first one by the time the credits rolled, you will probably not enjoy this game--as it is more of the same with more tweaks to the forumla then outright changes.
  6. Apr 27, 2013
    Other than a little freezing here or there, this game is everything I had hoped it would be! It has all the same great gameplay elements that I grew to love in the first dead island. The zombies are exponentially harder to kill than in the first. Bravo techland, bravo.
  7. Apr 26, 2013
    Like the old sayings goes, if it ain't broke then don't fix. To me the first one was great, realllllly great. Sure It had its moments with glitches but what game does not. All in all, if you liked the first one then this one will be what you are expecting with some new weapons and new zombies thrown into the mix. If you did not like the first one then you won't like the second one either.Like the old sayings goes, if it ain't broke then don't fix. To me the first one was great, realllllly great. Sure It had its moments with glitches but what game does not. All in all, if you liked the first one then this one will be what you are expecting with some new weapons and new zombies thrown into the mix. If you did not like the first one then you won't like the second one either.

Sure it does feel like a big expansion but at least it is marketed at $49.99 only.
  8. Apr 30, 2013
    What can you say.... I just like it the same as part 1. A welcome game.... I like the game most in co-op mode, that's where the beauty is.

I was reading the reviews and they where mostly negative, despite them I just bought the game and did not regret it at all.
  9. Jun 2, 2013
    This comes from someone who actually finished the game. Most of the professional reviews I've read are just SO MISLEADING. Most of them say that Dead Island Riptide is clunky, boring, repetitive, uninspired and that the frame rate is ridiculous. The game is clunky and the frame rate is ridiculous, I give you that. But DIR is pretty much the SAME AWESOME GAME the original Dead Island was,This comes from someone who actually finished the game. Most of the professional reviews I've read are just SO MISLEADING. Most of them say that Dead Island Riptide is clunky, boring, repetitive, uninspired and that the frame rate is ridiculous. The game is clunky and the frame rate is ridiculous, I give you that. But DIR is pretty much the SAME AWESOME GAME the original Dead Island was, back in the day. And the original one was as clunky and sometimes broken. I found this to be perfect sequel. It starts exactly where the first one ended and give us much of the same (in the best way possible!). First of all, it's possible to use your old character which is great, because you can begin the game with a lot of perks that come handy early on. There are a couple of new zombies to deal with, new weapons, new mods, a CHAINSAW (yes!) and just SO MUCH TO DO. There are many places to go, many threats, secrets and even some interesting sidequests. Ok, the old fetch-quest thing is there and it's used to exhaustion but the game NEVER looses momentum. It keeps going and it got me hooked from the first to the last minute. DON'T TRUST PROFESSIONAL REVIEWS with this one. DIR won't be the game of the year nor it'll be the best game or even the best zombie game you'll ever play but trust me: if you enjoyed the first one you'll LOVE this. Expand
  10. May 5, 2013
    It's just awesome!

I see many there are whining on the bugs and stuff, it's normal in any application that arrives!
    Riptide is much more fun (and longer) than the classic Dead Island that's for sure!
  11. May 8, 2013
    Incredible game! Its been since Halo 4 that I've been so immersed in a game. My only complaint is the fact that you are limited in how many weapons one can carry. That is my complaint for a lot of games though. Can be terrifying at times. Combat is great, there is something satisfying about smashing zombie skulls that few games can do well. This is one of those games.
  12. Jun 15, 2013
    "Riptide" isn't a game that will break any boundaries, but it is still a fun experience as it stands. The story is not very engaging, but the gameplay, as a whole, is very satisfying, enough so that you will be able to forgive the game's lack of an engaging story.

The game is what it looks like. You kill large amounts of undead, collect necessary supplies, defend bases from more undead, rinse and repeat. There is some occasional strategy involved, but there isn't much that an upgraded or created weapon can't fix. There is some occasional strategy involved. The swinging of weapons is the most notable. If you swing weapons too much and/or too much, you leave yourself susceptible to attack, which is a nice add-in, as it makes the game feel a little more realistic in a way, as many games would just allow you to swing weapons at ease. That, and weapons break down, as well, and you need to repair them every now and again. Other than that, you just charge in and kill zombies to your heart's content.

It may sound like a boring concept, but it manages to keep you hooked, if only for the thrill of killing large amounts of zombies. The side quests end up being very helpful in your quest, and you will probably find yourself completing a lot of them in order to get cash and/or helpful supplies that will help enhance your experience. There are some occasional bugs and glitches, but nothing that really broke the game. At least not for me. This is a very fun game if you don't expect a ton out of it, but it is probably a game that is best bought at $20 or $30. If you don't expect the world of this game, you will probably have a lot of fun.
  13. May 20, 2013
    After playing this game now 75% complete I decided to go check out the reviews to listen to everyone else boast about this game only to find out it's mostly poor reviews....I don't understand this at all. This game is absolutely great! Open world zombie rpg and done very well. The only thing I can guess is that the majority of zombie game fan these days is expecting black ops type zombiesAfter playing this game now 75% complete I decided to go check out the reviews to listen to everyone else boast about this game only to find out it's mostly poor reviews....I don't understand this at all. This game is absolutely great! Open world zombie rpg and done very well. The only thing I can guess is that the majority of zombie game fan these days is expecting black ops type zombies and not so much into rpg's. And the result fans of one genre dropped into a different genre and not liking the gameplay because it is not their usual format. I'm not sure. All I know I'm a zombie fan and a rpg nut and this game had everything I could ever have wanted. I would give it a 10 if it was persistantly online world like defiance. But reveiw results like I have seen has made me loose my trust for reveiw scores for games. In the end its what you think that matters and can only trust others opinions to a small degree. this is my favorite game of the year directly followed by defiance. Dead Island riptide for the ps3 plays smoothly, is full of great content and very satisfying for all your rpg zombie slaying desires. Play the game and judge it yourself. Expand
  14. Jun 26, 2013
    I have some kind of love-hate relationship with the dead island series, and especially "riptide". one one hand you have this very very frustrating game, with bunch of weird glitches and bugs. but on the other hand, a great and very fun co-op game, with great multiplayer mechanics and lots of hours of gaming. don't be fooled by the "poor" metascore, this game is very fun to play (CO-OP) andI have some kind of love-hate relationship with the dead island series, and especially "riptide". one one hand you have this very very frustrating game, with bunch of weird glitches and bugs. but on the other hand, a great and very fun co-op game, with great multiplayer mechanics and lots of hours of gaming. don't be fooled by the "poor" metascore, this game is very fun to play (CO-OP) and offers, as i said lots of gaming hours, side missions and challenging challenges. sure it might seem expensive, but the gaming experience that you'll get, is well worth the price.

have a great day
  15. Jun 26, 2015
    -My review is to help THE UNDECIDED = D E C I D E..simple....
    -I will offer positives & negatives
    -same people who recently made DYING LIGHT. Dying Light is the sequel(not in story) --I will explain the fun and the grind.. --I will try to be neutral for someone who is U N D E C I D E D. ~~~I gain NOTHING if you read this or not. Nothing! But I want people to know the right way to
    -My review is to help THE UNDECIDED = D E C I D E..simple....
    -I will offer positives & negatives
    --I will explain the fun and the grind..
    --I will try to be neutral for someone who is U N D E C I D E D.
    ~~~I gain NOTHING if you read this or not. Nothing! But I want people to know the right way to review a game and be copyCats because it works......

-this game is-NOT Dead Island-2 it's dead Island continued..and that is a GREAT THING IF YOU ENJOYED dead Island,,

--the story continues with them going to a new Huge Island with 2-3 Large maps..
    -the 1st map is awesome. Its a lot of water..and its a lot of fun, cruising around in a speedy fishing boat is lots of fun. And after awhile you tire of running and just want to drive a boat since most of the map is accesable via boat....

----here's positives
    --NEW CHARACTER- he's awesome and I picked him right off the bat..he has a signature kick that sends them flying and it becomes not only addicting but it becomes the way you'll enter combat every time,,.
    Pick him 1st if you're a Dead Island return gamer....pick whomever if you're new...
    ---the game has a tank,, Sam B. Listen to the song "who do you voodoo b!tch" lol
    --a stealthy backstab ninja like thief girl who uses blades and swords or any edged weapons,
    --a balanced jock who uses all weapons as boomerangs once leveled-up he is hands down #1..
    -and a NYPD type thug like girl who specialty is guns pistols,and stuff I forget.she sucked in dead island-1.

--the Zombies are awesome and deserving of mention in all games that have GREAT Zombie type variety..actually I'd rank Dead Island & Riptides Zombie variety and creativity #1.
    And I played StateOFdecay,DeadRisings,Left4Deads,DyingLight.
    --there's the basic slow WALKERS who are only dangerous if you get lazy..
    --the RAM in str8 jacket who can't use his arms or teeth,,just runs you down and he's armored.
    --walkers who wield weapons(weird)
    --the coolest imp is the pus bubbling slow walking,moaning zombie who gets close and explodes killing you and zombies alike...so ha shoot him from afar or stategic and he is a walking grenade..awesome!
    --The Butcher--he is the most dangerous cause he is fast,strong,smart and super agile, and rare..
    ---the later is new to deadIsland. He floats underwater until he sees you and he spits puke at you like Reptile in Mortal Kombat..he's super ugly and gross and it feels good to kill him. ESP by fire,.
    --and the toughest is the Runners..they are recently turned zombies who still have all they're human attributes.. They run slightly faster then you, they yell and scream,,and when they come it's like 3-6 of em and they don't always come at the same time..they require undivided attention or they hit you fast and you'll either be gimped out or dead...

--Graphics--same as Dead Island..I dunno..the beach,water scenes are pretty,,and zombies and half eaten people are gross...it's not gonna break beauty records, nor will it be made fun of for being outdated..it's just str8 up decent..

--Gameplay and framerate--frame rate is good..I dunno the FPS stats, but it's a PS3 game and on PLaystation Now as I'm replaying it on= the framerate does-NOT suffer when the screen fills up..I would view it as a checkbox you either check or don't check the box...is there framerate issues? NO..

--Gameplay--eff'n-A it's weird at 1st..
    R1 is attack
    L1 is kick
    X is jump(as 99% FPS games are..
    --but the menu is what always impressed me about Dead Island..just a fluid system with inventory,,,equip,,u equip,drop,buy,sell,PROTECT uber weapons..
    --typical color scheme like Borderlands..White is generic/standard,,,green in good,blue is very good,,purple is uber, and yellow is legendary..

---lots of upgraded stuff from dead island-1...like weapon upgrades from the other 4 characters you DIDNT select to use as you're playable toon...they teach you various stuff as you grind weapon profiency through them etc,,,,and you can give good weapons to NPC's to assist them with beating down zombies....

---the only negative that angered me was The weapon chest...in dead island-1 the weapon-chest would reload (always same spot), but they would re-close and you'd form a route to spam the weapon chest that randomly give you weapons, and eventually you score a legendary..so you'd know where they were and go in a 20 minute circle opening 8-10 chest...fast travel re-spawns all of em locked again. Woo The= fun :)
    ---in Riptide they put a 6 hour timer on the chest instead of when u leave the map...this angered 100% of the returning players...but it also has reason= to make the games weapons more disposable and you focus on technique more,,I eventually understood and accepted,,but I did/do miss that fun grinding for Legendaries.it had to be earned still..

--THIS GAME DESERVES TO BE PLAYED. At least once..they are making a str8 up sequel 12/2015

No working game deserves a ZERO..it ruins metacriti
  16. Apr 25, 2013

1. The game's uninspired vibe and execution are not the only things that Techland and Deep Silver forgot to improve upon. The graphics are sub par to say the least. The game can have you staring in awe at a stranded battle cruiser, but the immersion quickly falls apart when you notice your gun sticking trough a solid brick wall. [May 2013, p.76]
  2. Jun 24, 2013
    At the end of the day, Dead Island: Riptide has a lot of good ideas, especially in its latter half. The combat, while repetitive and often frustrating with the annoying inventory management, still manages to provide exciting encounters. It just seems as if the developer didn't trust players enough to fully immerse them with the survival horror title suggested by the mechanics.
    It has moments of high tension, and overall it stays true to its rhythm, is more Dead Island, so if you liked the first, you will certainly enjoy this one too.