Devil May Cry 4 PlayStation 3

8.2

1. HughH.
    Feb 25, 2008
    I like this game, i really do but honestly it is the exact same gameplay as the other 3 installments to the point when i just get tired and need to soak my fingers and wrists in hot salt water. It's basically Devil May Cry 3 (except easier) with a easier to use character for 10 levels and then once you get used to him you get Dante with harder enemies and a combat system that is I like this game, i really do but honestly it is the exact same gameplay as the other 3 installments to the point when i just get tired and need to soak my fingers and wrists in hot salt water. It's basically Devil May Cry 3 (except easier) with a easier to use character for 10 levels and then once you get used to him you get Dante with harder enemies and a combat system that is perplexing to say the least. If you got carpal tunnel syndrome playing Nero than your wrists will fall off playing Dante. The story is always an afterthought in DMC games it's all about the combat but honestly, it gets a bit tedious. especially when backtracking for the entire second half of the game. Capcom, please take a cue from Hideo Kojima and try something a bit new next time. If DMC 5 is the same as this with another character I will be disappointed. Expand
  2. JasonL.
    Feb 20, 2008
    A new coat of paint for a series that is badly ineed of an overhaul. Now don't get me wrong this isn't a bad game, cool boss fights and a good variety of enemies but this is just the same old formula and was it just me or did they have less combos than in previous installments. I constantly feel as though I am doing the exact same 3 combos over and over again. Shoot a couple A new coat of paint for a series that is badly ineed of an overhaul. Now don't get me wrong this isn't a bad game, cool boss fights and a good variety of enemies but this is just the same old formula and was it just me or did they have less combos than in previous installments. I constantly feel as though I am doing the exact same 3 combos over and over again. Shoot a couple times slash with the sword and slam the enemy on the ground with the devil arm. Good game for big fans of the series, but casual fans like myself would probably be better off renting it. Expand
  3. Nov 19, 2010
    Even though that i love DMC series, and i love this game there is some backdrops that cant be highlighted, the backtracking, too short , luck of bosses, luck of different enemies, few enemies in battles and compared to DMC3 slow fighting system.
  4. BryanS.
    Mar 8, 2008
    I don't get it.... just not enough substance to keep me entertained. It seems too 'Anime'(ish) to me, and I enjoyed the Final Fantasy genre.
  5. JoseG.
    Feb 21, 2008
    Repetitive, Repetitive, Repetitive! Fighting bosses 3-4 times is boring...skill up system sucks.
  6. Apr 19, 2012
    What a huge disappointment. Devil May Cry 4 is what I would call a lazy game; it is obvious that the producers had no ideas on how to continue this beloved series and decided to make a simple game, recycling used ideas and archaic gameplay into a low-budget game. So the game starts and we have a new protagonist to control, one that resembles Dante in appearance and a rebellious 15-year oldWhat a huge disappointment. Devil May Cry 4 is what I would call a lazy game; it is obvious that the producers had no ideas on how to continue this beloved series and decided to make a simple game, recycling used ideas and archaic gameplay into a low-budget game. So the game starts and we have a new protagonist to control, one that resembles Dante in appearance and a rebellious 15-year old in personality. From the very start of the game it is obvious that the story won't be very good; but its ok, Devil May Cry was always more about the gameplay. Problem is, this gameplay has not evolved one bit in the past seven years. The combos are cool, but both Nero and Dante are slow on their feet and frustrate the player constantly by simply not reaching the enemies in time to keep your combo going. Bland graphics, tolerable voice acting and an okay soundtrack don't help much. Even worse, you have to play this game twice: first as Nero, and then you play every level and face every boss again in inverse order as Dante. If you squeeze your eyes really hard you can still see beautiful formula that shined in the PS2 era, but it is sad to find it now buried under so much bad ideas and lack of polish. Expand
  7. Nov 5, 2010
    extremely repetitive game .... lost all of is zing after the first hour..... nothing exciting at all, picked up the game for 20 bucks and still don't think it was worth that
  8. Mar 8, 2013
    Good DMC but the backtracking part is annoying and massive. Nero is a good new entry with some nice features such as his devil arm. Like that game but DMC 1 and DMC 3 are both stronger.
  9. Jan 27, 2013
    Unlike it's incredibly exciting and stylish predecessor, Devil May Cry 4 feels like a boring chore. I'll admit, the combat is incredible... only when you posses the character Dante. Other wise you play as the incredibly uninteresting and unexplained Nero who has your typical hack n' slash move set. With Nero, you can button mash your way through the first sets of levels. Compared to Dante,Unlike it's incredibly exciting and stylish predecessor, Devil May Cry 4 feels like a boring chore. I'll admit, the combat is incredible... only when you posses the character Dante. Other wise you play as the incredibly uninteresting and unexplained Nero who has your typical hack n' slash move set. With Nero, you can button mash your way through the first sets of levels. Compared to Dante, Nero has a underwhelming move set. Although, unlike Dante, Nero has Devil Bringer. As you can guess, it brings enemies closer to him for some interesting aerial maneuvers, but not enough to keep you interested. As for Dante, this is where the game shines. Luckily, they removed the feature from Devil May Cry 3 in which you are forced into picking one Style for the mission. Now, you can switch instantly with the d-pad, and can pull of some sick combos. Unfortunately, you are only backtracking through Nero's levels, which gets really repetitive. However, this game has some of the best boss battles in the series, as well as the toughest. Berial was interesting, but the best ones were Credo and The Savior. Credo in particular. Sadly, with an awful story line, the game doesn't convey enough emotion for me to care about most of these characters, and the boss battles I'm fighting. While in Devil May Cry 3, I actually felt like the dual between Dante and Vergil was important, and I wanted to beat it. The puzzles in this game are very simple, and feel like pointless padding. Especially since the focus is combat, where this game succeeds. I'd talk about the story, but it's virtually non-existent. Overall, it's a very underwhelming title in the series, considering that it only gets somewhat good half way through the game. Not worth it. Mediocre. Collapse Expand
  10. Sep 10, 2013
    Devil May Cry 4 is a great game and is probably the best script writing for a Devil May Cry game, which is saying a lot. The gameplay is legendary and incredibly hard which earns it the reputation that it has. Just look up some of the combos possible and the amount of skill the game has. The game actually allows new plays to pick up these combos pretty quick but are insanely hard toDevil May Cry 4 is a great game and is probably the best script writing for a Devil May Cry game, which is saying a lot. The gameplay is legendary and incredibly hard which earns it the reputation that it has. Just look up some of the combos possible and the amount of skill the game has. The game actually allows new plays to pick up these combos pretty quick but are insanely hard to master. The game has great script writing and gameplay. However it is held back by some very poor decisions

Some of the characters in the game are given very little lime light apart from Dante and Nero. The character Credo is a great character that was promising but was never full developed. The areas in the game also have no explanation for why you are there and even less when you back track most of it. Im fine with the back tracking but it was just weird. Boss fights with Nero way too focused on getting into the right position and using your demon arm. Standard attacks do almost no damage to bosses. The last 30mins of the game (last boss) is probably the most frustrating thing I have ever played, to the point where I hated it! Fortunately he needing was worth it. Finally it was a bad decision to not let you play Dante from the start, even after beating the game. In DMC3 you could play Vergil from the beginning which was awesome.

So the game is not as good as DMC3 and I know I stated a lot of negatives but its hard to describe how amazing the gameplay is! Its hack and slash at its finest best with an insanely hard learning curve that is satisfying.
  11. Feb 12, 2016
    Devil May Cry 4 is an ok game but overall I just don't like it. I could never get into this game series, it always felt to me that something was lacking. I don't like neither Dante or Nero. The graphics are great for its time and the sound is pretty good as well. The story to this game is sub par, it really doesn't grab your attention. Music is excellent and so is the intro. I really lovedDevil May Cry 4 is an ok game but overall I just don't like it. I could never get into this game series, it always felt to me that something was lacking. I don't like neither Dante or Nero. The graphics are great for its time and the sound is pretty good as well. The story to this game is sub par, it really doesn't grab your attention. Music is excellent and so is the intro. I really loved the song in the intro, some of the best music in video games. The gameplay and cut scenes feel often repetitious, this is one of the main problems with this series.

Overall the game is ok, but I just could never get into this series. 6/10
  12. Jul 14, 2017
    Devil May Cry 4 has some of the best boss battles I have seen in any game but the story is ridiculousl and outside of boss battles gameplay is just ok. While there are some great moments I found that the overall experience was not nearly as satisfying as DMC3. Nero is basically an inferior version of Dante and while you do still get to play as Dante he is never quite as appealing as heDevil May Cry 4 has some of the best boss battles I have seen in any game but the story is ridiculousl and outside of boss battles gameplay is just ok. While there are some great moments I found that the overall experience was not nearly as satisfying as DMC3. Nero is basically an inferior version of Dante and while you do still get to play as Dante he is never quite as appealing as he was in DMC3 and the supporting cast is far less interesting than the ones in DMC3. Combat is excellent but there is a lot of repetition. Overall DMC4 is a lot of fun but its inferior to its predecessor in most ways.

In terms of Gameplay, the action is fast paced and there are a ton of cool abilities. There are a lot of great new weapon styles as well as some good returning ones. The addition of the devil bringer arm, which allows you to pull yourself towards things, is a pretty cool mechanic although some of the time I felt it was used as too much of a gameplay gimmick. It would have been a lot better if there were more things in the environment for you to grab onto, Being able to play as Dante in the second half of the game is also pretty cool but unfortunately playing as Dante you are basically just backtracking through the same areas and fighting the same enemies. The platforming aspect of the game can also be frustrating and repetitive. Every area feels quite confined and traversing levels is dull outside of combat.

The story in this game felt pretty random. Nero's role in the DMC lore is never really given much of an explanation. The story tries to include a romance as a driving force for Nero but since that relationship is never well established to begin with I never cared about it. The whole plot felt very one dimensional and yet it still managed to be convoluted. There were a few cool ideas with the demo research stuff but none of those ideas really seem to go anywhere. The story is below average.

The characters themselves are pretty mediocre. Nero is basically a less cool, less entertaining version of Dante. While he does get a bit of development I never felt that he established his own identity as a great character, rather he was just a weak imitation of one. The villains are far less interesting than Jester and Virgil were in DMC3. Dante himself has some awesome scenes. His entrance at the beginning of the game is truly epic but he still never reaches the heights of awesome that he did in DMC3.

Visually the game looks great, the animations are smooth and the combos are stylish. The boss and monster designs are also really excellent. Echidna in particular was a really interesting design and her animations in combat are also really well-done. There are some pretty cool environments although I did feel that their weren't as many iconic locations as some of the past game. It was nice to see a bit more variety in locations this time around though. While there are still lots of gothic buildings not everything is darkly lit and I found that variety to be better than past DMC games.

Sound design is pretty good, the voice acting and sound effects are all well done. I think that the music this time was not nearly as well used as it was in DMC3. In that game every song choice seemed to fit the tone of the scenes almost perfectly. In DMC4 the music is similar but it just wasn't used to nearly the same effect.

Overall I think DMC4 is a good game. The combat is fun and the boss battles are excellent. The game is pretty short though, less than 10 hours, and a good chunk of it is spent backtracking. The boss battles are excellent but traversing levels can be frustrating and boring. The story nothing special and adds very little lore to the DMC world. If you like DMC or action game in general this is certainly worth playing but it isn't nearly as good as DMC3.

1. The newest entry in the revered series features plenty of awesome action, a great new character...and a bit of repetition.
    Devil May Cry 4 is also nothing close to the full next-gen transformation that the moody, gothic world of Capcom’s demons deserved.
  3. Devil May Cry 4 plays exceptionally well. It may not be revolutionary, but it sure won't leave you bored. If anything, Devil May Cry 4 is perhaps even more addictive than the last, thanks to a rather enjoyable, well-done story.