6.3

1. Sep 3, 2013
    Games gets a 1 only because the graphics and sound are decent; the rest of the game is pure garbage.

The exact same core problems plague the console version as it does the PC version: terrible itemization, boring/useless skills, uninteresting loot, and the game is completely gear dependent. Build diversity is just, well, not there. There is no build diversity, and this is because the
    skill system is terrible.

Anyone whose reading this, do yourselves a favor and steer clear of this. There isn't much they can do about the console version, but maybe (just maybe), the PC version will be fixed one of these days and will turn out to be the game it should have been.
  2. Sep 4, 2013
    If you enjoyed Diablo 2, chances are you may be a bit disappointed with this sequel. For me, the best part of Diablo 2 was searching through different game rooms for Baal runs, Hell cows, and item trading. This is no longer possible as their are no named game rooms. Item trading is pretty non-existent and in a game primarily focused on loot, this is extremely detrimental.

Gameplay is
    still fun, but their isn't much thought needed to spend skill points. You no longer allocate attribute points, so leveling up is a ridiculously simple and rather lame process. Their are also no runestones anymore, meaning their are no runewords. Instead, equipment crafting is a more "casual-friendly" process of breaking down (salvaging) useless equipment into matts to create more beneficial equipment which you unlock recipes for by leveling up your blacksmithing (1000 gold per level, usually 2 recipes per level).

This is really less a true Diablo sequel than a sequel to Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance.

Being a huge Diablo 2 fan (probably put well over 300 hours into it), I found this sequel to be a very large disappointment. Its still fun to play as a casual dungeon-crawler, but the hardcore element I loved about Diablo 2 just isn't there.
  3. Sep 3, 2013
    Before purchasing this game, ask yourself this

What game in history sold 10 million copies, but lost 85% of it's players not even 7 months later? Curious as to why? Look at the official forums where you'll see 90% of both the threads and posts are of a negative nature towards the game: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/

There is also the question of why Diablo 3 has less than half
    of the content of Diablo 2 (which was made 12 years ago).

This game lacks so much. It has the potential to be good, but unfortunately the Blizzard team dropped the ball on this one. Some like the game, but the vast majority are disappointed with it. Chances are if you pick this up, you'll be disappointed too, especially if you ever played Diablo 2.
  4. Sep 3, 2013
    This game is no different than the PC version; bland, boring, repetitive, pigeon-holed, and linear.

The only thing that differs with the console version is the loot quality is slightly better. This really doesn't matter when the itemization is terrible. The game revolves around 2-3 stats, so essentially stacking gear with those stats is how you advance. Of course because there are so
    few items in the game, everybody is walking around with the exact same gear, and thus looks exactly the same.

Get used to the skill system being next to useless. Most skills have absolutely no use unless your geared like a god, then and only then most skills can be used. Don't expect that happen anytime soon as the itemization is so bad.

Each class has 1-2 viable builds only; what I mean by viable is a skill and rune set that can actually be used in inferno with mediocre gear. Running anything other than this type of build will get you destroyed quickly.

If you do pick up this console (which I advise not); run a Barbarian, you'll life will be infinitely easier. The old game director ran one and thus this class is overpowering compared to the others.

The game got 1 start because the graphics and animations are nice.
  5. Sep 3, 2013
    Just google Diablo 3 forums to see the current state of the game. The console version is no different with the except that loot drops are slightly better quality, that and there is no auction house. Also take into consideration that this game all be it 12 years newer than D2, has less than half the content that D2 did. There is no excuse for that when your supposed to build off the predecessor.

There still has never been an answer from the D3 dev team as to why the skill system is so bad, yet had a winning formula from D2 yet chose not to build off it or use a variation.
  6. Sep 3, 2013
    I avoided the console version due to the advice of my friend (thankfully), but I picked this up today because supposedly it was supposed to be better than the PC version.

Though I do not have the PC game to compare it to, but my initial review of this game, is that it just plain sucks. Everything I was warned about I can vaguely see happening already. I was a massive fan of D2 but
    sadly, D3 (console) just doesn't hold a candle to it.

The graphics are good, I'll give it that, as well as, the sound. The skill system however is atrocious, the loot I can see is flat out boring and I can only imagine just how bad it will get later if follows one of the warnings my buddy told me about.. being tied to weapon damage.

A diablo game that has no reliance on skills but everything on gear and weapon damage, is simply not a diablo game at all. Blizzard really messed up with this one.
  7. Sep 3, 2013
    The game is trash, just like it's PC counterpart. Finding loot seems to be somewhat improved, as well as, the loot itself seems to be better quality; but that isn't the problem. The biggest problems with this game are as follows: 1) The itemization is bad the items themselves are extremely boring, the game revolves around 3 stats 2) The skill system is terrible, a lot of useless skills and only 1-2 viable builds for character
    3) Everybody runs the exact same gear set up because (surprise, it's all to weapon damage)
    4) Game is far too repetitive because you are forced to play they way "they" want you to play

While some things have been addressed in the console version, the main problems that have plagued the game itself are still no where fixed
  8. Sep 3, 2013
    I bought the PC version and havn't played it in 8 months. I decided to pick up the Ps3 version thinking they might have fixed some of the problems that plagued this game, but alas I was wrong.

Other than loot being marginally better, and not having to stare at that stupid Auction House, the game is absolutely no different:

Broken, boring, linear, gear dependent, many useless skills,
    bad itemization, and repetitive play with little to no reward. Please people, just save yourself the trouble. I'm giving this game to my buddy as he is/was a D3 fan. He's been wavering on buying it, I'll save him the trouble and give him my copy. Expand
  9. Sep 4, 2013
    It's terrible, I played a lot with the pc version and I actually hate this game, everyone of my friends stopped playing quite soon and hates the game too and blizzard doesn't care for their customers, they simply make console ports and try every way of spillin you money instead of fixing the whole game, this console port is a joke both for the console users and the pc ones, if u want to know what I mean just check some forum before buying it Expand
  10. Sep 5, 2013
    Think about this for a second, take 2 of the most popular games recently and look at their reviews, Guild wars 2 and Skyrim. Both have about 2500 and 5000 reviews respectively.. Most are positive with some negative and mixed reviews tossed in there..

Now look at Diablo 3 (PC version).. Over 8000 reviews and over 6000 of them are negative. The console version is identical to the PC
    version with the exceptions there is no auction house, legendaries drop more often, and their stats are higher (none of which were core problems with PC version).

Close your eyes and think about that for a second; over 6000 negative reviews out of 8000; what does that tell you? Red flags should come up alerting you to steer clear of this game (both PC and console). When there are that many negative reviews on one game, that should tell you something...
  11. Sep 7, 2013
    I've read a few of the reviews on here, both good and bad, and have come to some sort of a conclusion, though it really is more of a question. There are people on here who are claiming the console version of D3 fixed a lot (if not all) the problems the PC version had, do these people even know what the PC problems were?

Lets look at the PC problems more closely

Terrible (Mostly
    useless) Skills NOT fixed in the console version
    Zero Build Diversity NOT fixed in the console version
    Bad Itemization NOT fixed in the console version
    Boring Items & Everything dependent on weapon damage NOT fixed in the console version
    No Randomized maps NOT fixed in the console version
    No Endgame & Forced to play story over and over NOT fixed in the console version

Auction Houses This was taken out of the console version Fixed (thankfully)
    No Offline Mode Biggest most positive Fix in the console version, it's huge

Where they went completely backwards: Monster Density has been reduced

I did not mention amount of loot being dropped because that was never a problem. Loot drops continuously, it was all just garbage.

As you can see, most of the core problems were never addressed. Blizzard never learned their lesson, despite having the players feeding them the problems continuously and how to fix them. Supported continuously and remained on the front page for months, so they were well aware.

So please people, before making such comments, just don't unless you know what your talking about
  12. Sep 7, 2013
    I still get nightmares just thinking about D3 on PC. So RPG horrendous system to push ppl into buying items and spend more time in auction house than in game. The Console version does change that... But it still doesn't change the fact that Blizzard is ready to let part of their player base that is STILL playing on PC suffer the same horrendous system we had before.

There is now ZERO
    excuse for Blizzard to not implement a server now on PC that has the same basic RPG and loot rules as the console one. Are they doing that OFC not... cause then Blizzard will loose money allowing ppl to actually gather items in the PC game instead of going to RMAH.

This is when you know a game developer is no longer worth being called a game developer. And Blizzard has now reached this lowest level of standard possible in the industry. Where core game is suffering to make them money. And we have the console version of D3 to verify that this is the case with once a great company called Blizzard.
  13. Sep 5, 2013
    Raped and abused style and lore, more like a comic than a gothic and realistic theme.
    Terrible PC launch, unbalanced and not polished like they said.
    Totally untested high end difficulty, that showed even more the underneath unbalance.
    The story was a 6 score, but it's not the main feature of and action rpg. But the lack of hardcore (or at least not casual) content, long term
    engagement, poor designed loot in addition to a legalized way of cheating (aka real money action house) killed it on PC.
    It took old blizzard style defects (long release times, terribly long on fixing design issues that makes a game engaging and fun) and new Blizzard defects (money fun and masterpiece games).
    It's fun for a month, not for so long like diablo 2.
    Seriously a PvE environment with no additional content over time, focused on grinding gear from mobs i can already kill for no purpose, not even PvP, just to get a plain +1 main stat and near 100% trash loot? What's the meaning of white common items constantly dropping if even uniques are garbage and maybe you will get a decent drop in half a week of chinese farming?
  14. Sep 5, 2013
    The second they left the skills and items the same with this console port, it was basically a dud right out of the gate. People need to realize the auction house was not and never will be Diablo 3's problem, it's the itemization, lack of diversity, lack of end game, and lack of incentive to play. Auction house or no auction house, the game still sucks because those problems.

Nobody
    can tell you this game is different. The skills are the same, the items are the same, the builds or lack of build diversity is the same which completely put a stake through the heart of what once was a great series. As others have mentioned, the only difference in the console is no auction house and higher numbers on items. More legendaries drop, but there is very little monster density compared to the PC version.

The console version is a dud; at least the PC version can be fixed via patches and what not.
  15. Sep 7, 2013
    People who are rating this game 5 or above need a reality check. Lets look at the facts: The console version and PC version are identical with the except of a couple of things; An offline mode (the single biggest improvement over the PC), loot drops more and is marginally better (higher stats). Negatively, the monster density is drastically less (huge huge problem)

The rest of the
    game is completely identical to the PC version, so go look at the PC reviews; 6000 out of 8000 are negative; 3.8 user score. I own this game, I have the PC version, and my brother picked me up a copy of the console version which I have begrudgingly played. People. there is no difference between either versions. The one thing the PC version has over the console is it's fixable. It can be patched continuously to be made into a good game, the console version cannot. What you see with the console, is what you get.

Much like the 10+ million who quit PC version because of the rampid core problems and blizzard's neglect to fix them; those who own this game, will follow suit shortly and quit as well. Even looking at the console forums they are practically a ghost town.

The only thing this game has going for it is it's offline mode, graphics, and sound; but all that is just sugar coating garbage. Flashiness on the screen can only go so far before it gets stale. 10+ million people will gladly tell you that.

If you insist on playing Diablo (and are a gambler by nature), grab the PC version instead. At least they may fix it one day, I do emphasize MAY. The console version on the other hand is DoA.
  16. Sep 5, 2013
    What people fail to understand is that the AH/RMAH is not D3's core problem, I repeat it is NOT D3's core problem. Sure these were removed from the console version which is all fine and dandy, but it did not address the core problems that plague D3.

The overall user rating at the moment for D3 on PC is 3.8 and for good reason. There is absolutely no difference between the PC version
    and console version, other than no AH, higher numbers on items, as well as, legendaries drop more often.

My friend picked up the game, I noticed this in the 2.5 hours they played last night, it was absolutely pathetic; Blizzard did nothing to fix the core problems with the game at all.

Everybody is entitled to their opinion, but anyone who is rating this game anymore than a 5 really needs to give their head a shake, especially if you've played the PC version and/or have played the Diablo franchise at all. You know very well why the game is rated so low, it is no secret, and you know full well the reasons it was rated low are still present in the console.

If anyone has any doubts, seriously, just go look at the D3 official forums page, you'll get a laundry list of why this game is a dud. Do yourself a favor and don't buy it.
  17. Sep 5, 2013
    Taking a loot based game and giving it completely boring and uninteresting loot, then just adding higher stats to that loot (like the console version did), doesn't make the game any better. It sucked on PC, and after what I've seen already, it still sucks now. The loot system is so bad in the game, making it drop more often and with higher numbers doesn't make it any better, in some cases, it actually makes it worse. Much better games out there to play.

My brother, who never played the PC version and therefor should have an unbiased view of the console version, picked up the console game yesterday morning. Last night he tells me that he thought Diablo 3 was supposed to be better and an upgrade from Diablo 2. Well buddy.. you are damn right it was supposed to be. It's kind of funny because the start of D3 isn't that bad, it's when you get into the later content you find out that it's beyond repetitive and the items just suck. He's not even out of normal yet and already thinks it's terrible.
  18. Sep 12, 2013
    The game strays to far from what made it legendary. It was clearly not designed by the original developers.

Rest in peace Diablo. We will miss you.
  19. Sep 8, 2013
    Diablo 3 is an app for the Playstation

Last year I played an app on my mobile phone in which I used my index finger to fire projectiles at incoming mobs as they attacked me. After killing mobs, gaining experience and upgrading my weapons and choosing new abilities, I was able to better attack mobs and progress further through the game. As a result, cut scenes were unlocked, better
    weapons and abilities were available, and I progressed further through the story-line.

Diablo 3 for the PS3 is an app for your Playstation. Don't bother.
  20. Sep 10, 2013
    How in the world do critics give this game such high ratings?? Is blizzard slipping them a few bones? Lets be clear I loved the previous Diablo games This hack and slash is so repetitive and boring. No innovation, when you start the game on normal mode it is so pathetically easy my GF played the game for 3 hrs and said.. wow this is so easy.. she's not a gamer!!! So you decide to bump up the difficulty just to realize the mini bosses become more difficult to kill then the actual boss battles stay clear of the game!! Expand
  21. Sep 15, 2013
    Stay awhile and listen to my whining. If you think the game mechanics of the PC version were uberly out of balance the console version proves it can be worse. Either the development team is directly managed by a bunch of share holders or Blizzard has completely lost touch with building quality games.
  22. Jan 9, 2014
    I didn't feel excited or amazed one single time during the campaign. Once finished after ~17 hours, I replayed a few bosses with some kid and had a bit more fun that way. But still, I had seen every element in other games/movies/comics. The last act could have been awesome, but I just saw it as a different background image to the same button-mashing. It loads quickly, and the half dozen cutscenes amazed me a bit. There were zero puzzles, and I didn't get a feeling of mystique or anything really. It tries to be Dark Souls some places, but it didn't immerse me. I don't want to play the game again, and I don't care about it. The voice-acting costs a point since I could hear the actors in the studio rather than characters on an epic quest. The child merchant sounded like a adult, who of course did the voicing. If there had been a couple of puzzles and more epic multiplayer (30 people and insane difficulty etc) and it had made it easier to jump into various online modes, I would have given it a slightly positive review. Expand
  23. Oct 13, 2013
    For polish and mechanics, this game slays Marvel Heroes, its closest competitor. But the the loot sucks and it is a game about loot.

Both companies have ulterior motives for starving you of good items.
  24. Oct 20, 2013
    The game is a major let down from is predecessors, which had a great variety in build and RPG mechanics, which was completely streamlined, for the worst. The the loot system itself is completely atrocious, making one single weapon to be more valuable than the rest of the gear combined, which is a poor loot choice. The art style is bland and generic, another major let down compared to the unique aesthetic from the originals. Don't buy this game. Expand
  25. Feb 17, 2014
    Same old garbage blizzard brought us back in the spring of 2012 for the PC. The community for multiplayer is even more nonexistent on console. Blizzard is one of the worst gaming company these days and doesn't listen to fan feedback. D3 has absolutely no relation to the previous titles. With RoS coming, blizzard has yet again revamped the entire d3 experience and it's for the worse, can you believe that? Don't waste your time on Blizzard games. Look for Dark Souls 2 coming out March 11. Expand
  26. Dec 10, 2013
    I bought D3 on the ps3 with the intention of receiving a new and refreshing gameplay experience but unfortunately after putting several hours in, I discovered that the game is super repetitive. D3 involves doing a lot of the same thing without having any real change and doesn't reward exploration due to the maps linear progression... but anyway you can invest in another video game that feels great and doesn't waste your time or moneys. Expand
  27. Oct 21, 2013
    A score of (2) is very generous for this game. If Blizzard spend half the money and time developing this game it would still be an embarrassing finished product. As it stands now it's a case study in what not to do for a sequel. They spent an enormous amount in advertising and that allowed them to make record breaking sales. But 9 out of 10 people that bought this game were majorly disappointed in it.

Read some of the other customer reviews on this site and on the Blizzard forums, they are overwhelmingly negative. Like me, If you enjoyed Diablo 2, you will probably have more fun replaying that game than playing Diablo 3. A major reason why is the AH, when a kid can just buy his way to good gear.
  28. Oct 29, 2013
    12 years on and Blizzard is still only able to take a step in the wrong direction.

Perhaps it could be said Diablo 3 is so bad because Diablo 2 was so good, but it seems so much effort was put into recreating a "new" and easy to play version of Diablo 3, that the developers lost sight of what really matters for video gaming, fun.

The writing and the story are absolutely terrible, the
    loot was poorly designed, the procedural generation has too many static elements for fun variation, the boss fights aren't particularly exciting, and the advancement skill gap at higher levels is stupidly unbalanced and made the actual viable class/skill choices terribly narrow.

The RMAH ended up not working for them at all, except for the reasonable amount of money it made Blizzard with huge fees. Honestly it was decently fun to use and I'm sure some people farmed, or bought all their items. And maybe the RMAH Gold Hall were used more than was intended, but honestly, trading was always a big part of original Diablo because there were actually items worth getting and things worth crafting.

Now even that's going away. Instead of taking the time to remove a feature, maybe take some more time to make an actual game. 12 years obviously wasn't enough.
  29. Oct 1, 2013
    Absolute rubbish. I just played the demo and boy am I glad I didn't part with any money for this crap. It's like something from the early 90's. When you think of how far games have progressed you wonder how anyone could make this sort of thing with a straight face. It has to be a put on, surely.
  30. Oct 27, 2013
    Very boring, even with 2 friends. I love this type of game but this on the ps3 is just boring, pressing the same button over and over having no challenge and everything being repetitive and boring makes this game seem pointless even when playing with friends. Within 10 minutes everyone was bored and wanted to play a different game and we kept playing but it wasn't fun.
  31. Jul 2, 2014
    Really disappointing game , after so much wait and hype even after BETA this is just a mere disappointment , Blizzard really messed this up . Yes I know that the game itself as the previous franchises is a grind but Diablo 3 currently is a **** . Story feels just sucked out of a finger . Except for the 1st Act it was great , what follows up is basically **** and grind . No end game content and if they added some its **** . Expand

1. Dec 12, 2013
    When Diablo III enters the living room some things are worse, but for the most part things are better. Controlling your character with the gamepad is effortless and dungeon raiding with four players in co-op is a an amazing experience. It feels a little odd to say, but Diablo's true home is on your TV.
  2. Oct 11, 2013
    Blizzard has accomplished the unthinkable and made Diablo III on consoles the better game, without server- and connection-issues, without an auction-house and with superior gameplay. It's open season for loot-hunters. Again.
  3. Oct 3, 2013
    Dialo III feels more at home on console than it did on PC, but not in the least bit "dumbed down." [Nov 2013, p.56]