Disney Infinity PlayStation 3

5.9

1. Sep 15, 2013
    I have a 4 year old and she LOVES the game. Toybox? She loves running around and exploring and just hanging out in the game with her cousin or myself. Play sets? Sure she doesn't get the whole quest thing, but she sure as heck still loves to play it, just to hang out in the settings. In Lone Ranger she even found a little ranch and brings all the horses there and just rides them. So ratherI have a 4 year old and she LOVES the game. Toybox? She loves running around and exploring and just hanging out in the game with her cousin or myself. Play sets? Sure she doesn't get the whole quest thing, but she sure as heck still loves to play it, just to hang out in the settings. In Lone Ranger she even found a little ranch and brings all the horses there and just rides them. So rather than rate the game down and complain that she doesn't get the game, I'll rate it up for keeping her interested and having fun despite not getting the quests.
    My 8 year old niece gets the quests a bit more. She loves playing as the different characters and battling the enemies in both the Toy Box and Play Sets. She understands how to build her own toy box sets, and loves just wandering around finding cool places in the toy box and just killing the randomly spawning bad guys. Both girls love naming off all the characters from the movies as they see them.
    I love the game too. As an avid gamer, I have fun on mostly anything I can climb. I'm building a huge Toy Box climbing and spelunking area to explore with the kids. I also built my daughter a hidden castle that she LOVES. Not having all the pieces to start with limits my creativity a bit, but it also lets me get more familiar with what I do have. Having all the pieces would be a bit overwhelming to start with. This way I build the basics I want and as I unlock more, the whole thing gets more diverse instead of me just using my favorite pieces. It works out well when you get into it. There are also lots of memorable sights, like the matterhorn, the cave of wonder, the sword in the stone and Scrooge's Money Bank.
    The play sets are great too. I've played the Incredibles playset, which has lots of buildings to climb and all that. The quests are a bit bland here, but there's lots of fighting and lots of buildings to climb. There are also cars and lots of challenges to go around here. The area is initially small, but quickly gets bigger as you get into it. The Lone Ranger set is more about adventure and exploring. Slightly less enemies here, but there are cliffs to climb, there's a train and the area gets bigger as you progress. Plus there are horses to ride around on. The other set I've played is the Cars play set. Also, excellent. Obviously lots of places to race around, do jumps and all that. I haven't gotten much into the quests here yet, and there haven't been any creeps to smash.
    We have all the toy pieces to go with the game, but they're largely optional. With just the starter box, you get 3 characters, each with a play set. I would recommend at least the villain or sidekick pack (another $25) just to be able to play two players. The power discs (both shapes) are totally optional. The Circle Discs provide bonuses such as damage up and XP up. The hex discs are for Toy Box only and usually provide cosmetic things, but can also give new items (Mickey's Car, Cinderella's Carriage). The Lone Ranger play set is FAR exceeding my expectations and I have to recommend it because of that. The downside to the Lone Ranger set is there are only 2 characters for it. Other sets have 3-5 for them.
  2. Aug 25, 2013
    It's probably the best video game ever made for kids. I am not a kid, but I have a brother who is a kid and he likes it very much. Especially, he likes Tonto and Jack Sparrow. As I do too!! But I do not play with them. I only like them!!!
  3. Dec 27, 2013
    Its a great, inventive game, Takes a while to unlock things u want. And the prices are silly. I shouldn't need to spend $1,000 for my son to enjoy a game. I probably will though because I love him, NOT because the game deserves it!
  4. Apr 3, 2014
    Infinity is one of those games that could unleash an amazingly fun franchise, it’s one of the few games that I can enjoy alongside with my 7 and 3 yr old. The play sets aren’t nearly as entertaining for me as they are for the 7 yr old, but the ability to create an endless array of maps/ worlds that we can enjoy together is utterly fantastic.

However my biggest complaint about Infinity

However my biggest complaint about Infinity doesn’t have anything to do with the game in it’s current form, it’s how I believe they’ll continue to roll out. In my opinion the best possible solution for growing Infinity isn’t by releasing a new disc every year, the disc is merely the key to access all of the content, it isn’t like Skylanders where the disc is the story based game… With Infinity the disc is the access key to unlocking the content (playset games, add on content, etc…) that could/ should made available as DLC and then accessed by purchasing the appropriate playset piece’s. Currently we do not own all of the characters or even the playsets, even though we’d love to have our own light sabers in game… to purchase it all would be an expense that we have to space out piece by piece. However if we weren’t forced to make the initial $60 investment, we would most certainly own all of the pieces by now.

Focusing on releasing the DLC content and maintaining wave based releases (of the toybox characters (which could be later expanded to playset), playset pieces/ characters, and the power discs) could make for a far more profitable endeavor for Disney and a more enjoyable experience for players of all ages.
  5. Sep 28, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I have a 4 year old and she LOVES the game. Toybox? She loves running around and exploring and just hanging out in the game with her cousin or myself. Play sets? Sure she doesn't get the whole quest thing, but she sure as heck still loves to play it, just to hang out in the settings. In Lone Ranger she even found a little ranch and brings all the horses there and just rides them. So rather than rate the game down and complain that she doesn't get the game, I'll rate it up for keeping her interested and having fun despite not getting the quests.

1. Hyper Magazine
    Oct 3, 2013
    There's something in Infinity for everyone (although there's slightly more for your kids.) [Nov 2013, p.74]
  2. Oct 2, 2013
    Disney is a powerhouse when it comes to licensing their products but even these prices seem a little overboard. If it weren't for the fact the campaigns are fun and suitable for the pre-teen crowd and the Toy Box modes offers a lot options, I'd probably be steering parents away.
  3. Official PlayStation Magazine Benelux
    Sep 27, 2013
    Infinity's Toy Box mode can hardly be called a kids game, which is strange since the Play Sets that come with the game are an absolute walk in park. There is no challenge whatsoever. Missions are limited to fetch quests or small brawls. But there is still some fun to be had, especially for younger players. [September p.64]