DJ Hero PlayStation 3

7.8

1. stephenH
    Nov 1, 2009
    Although fun single player is very short lived compared to the Guitar Hero franchise simply due to the fact that multiplayer is nowhere near as brilliant and seeing as how multiplayer is usually what keeps these games alive for me, it will simply die off for me.
  2. ChadS
    Oct 30, 2009
    Very fun, well done game.
  3. RobA
    Oct 28, 2009
    I was hesitant to buy this game, but I'm glad I did! I feel that this game, more so than the guitar or drums, allows you to get into the MUSIC, as opposed to worrying so much about just hitting the right note. It's gameplay mechanic is very intuitive and fun even when you don't know what you're doing. Tip: Start the game on Medium. It's not hard, and much more fun I was hesitant to buy this game, but I'm glad I did! I feel that this game, more so than the guitar or drums, allows you to get into the MUSIC, as opposed to worrying so much about just hitting the right note. It's gameplay mechanic is very intuitive and fun even when you don't know what you're doing. Tip: Start the game on Medium. It's not hard, and much more fun to play compared to Easy. Expand
  4. RobertC
    Jan 5, 2010
    This game really did supprise me. Yes its another Hero game, but I really prefer it to Guitar Hero. Great tracks, and gets better every time you play it.
  5. DougChilds
    Nov 10, 2009
    VERY Hesitant at first. Thought it would be some cheezy rap game. Boy was I surprised! I have had more fun playing this game then anything in recent memory. I would recommend to anybody who loved guitar hero as it is a fresh spin (no pun intended) on the genre.
  6. JoelM.
    Oct 27, 2009
    This game is amazing. I was not expecting to like half the stuff in the setlist but I have to say I like nearly all the tracks. The music blows me away and the gameplay is so addictive. I absolutely love it. DJ Hero convert!
  7. MichaelB
    Oct 29, 2009
    I love the music, love the graphics, love how theres many unlocakables, loves the turntable, hates the crossfader.
  8. ZachM
    Oct 31, 2009
    This game is one of the funnest music games I've played in a while- And I think I've played every one except for Pop'N'Music. I'm not sure what I would rate as more fun than this- but there's one downfall of it- The song list. The mixes sound great, but no one's heard of them before, so pulling it out at a party will result in awkward times where This game is one of the funnest music games I've played in a while- And I think I've played every one except for Pop'N'Music. I'm not sure what I would rate as more fun than this- but there's one downfall of it- The song list. The mixes sound great, but no one's heard of them before, so pulling it out at a party will result in awkward times where you're all sitting there trying to decide which mixes might sound good, and those which won't. Expand
  9. MarkB
    Nov 3, 2009
    First things first, I am a guitar hero fanatic and I love this game. This doesn't mean that there isn't any way to improve it. The Good: The set list is good, after a while, some songs start to blend into each other but that is only to be expected with almost 100 mixes made from popular songs (note: not pop songs). Overall there is a large amount of variety of DJ style songs: First things first, I am a guitar hero fanatic and I love this game. This doesn't mean that there isn't any way to improve it. The Good: The set list is good, after a while, some songs start to blend into each other but that is only to be expected with almost 100 mixes made from popular songs (note: not pop songs). Overall there is a large amount of variety of DJ style songs: mixes that focus on the art of scratching simple beats (DJ shadow's set is good for this), famous DJ songs (Daft Punk, etc.), surprising mixes that still work quite well (Marvin Gaye vs Gorillaz) and even down to cleverly mixing lyrics ("We will, we will... Robot Rock ... you"). I was surprised by this aspect of the game and since playing it, I've been listening to a lot of Scratch Perverts, somethings that every hero game should do: Introduce you to music. A lot of the reviewers complained about the difficulty curve and I agree to an extent. Hard is lackluster in that it can go from almost boring to "Holy crap, how the hell can they expect me to do that?". Other than that though, easy is made for people who haven't tapped a button along to music before. Medium is to start to introduce the elements that make the game fun, like crossfading and scratching. Hard starts the directional scratching and crossfade spikes while Expert introduces long scratch sequences that make you feel pretty damn good when you hit them. This actually ties in with one of the negatives of the game but we will get to that. One last thing I will say is that I have personally found the travel to expert difficulty much quicker and easier than it was to get to expert drums; It took me weeks to get good at drums but a few solid play sessions and a music game background of DJ hero and you should have a good feel for it. The controls are really where this game shines. The controller is quality and feels solid, the buttons are firm but responsive and not noisy like on some of the guitars. My only complaint here is that the crossfader is a bit sloppy in the way it works. There is a small, almost unnoticable stopper halfway along and if you are even a little too hard when pushing the crossfader back to the middle, it will flick right over to the other side and drop your combo. You do get used to it, but it gets a bit frustrating when you start out. The Bad: I really only have a few minor complaints about this game. The first of which is the plain exclusion of a few features that have been in guitar hero since early days. We know they work and they wouldn't still be in GH5 if they weren't seen as necessary. They are: Quickplay - You either have to play the predefined sets or make your own set, there is no simple "I want to play this song" option Practice - Play any of the heavy scratch sequence songs and you will wish you just slow it down for a sec just to check that that one arrow that you keep dropping is actually an up arrow and not a down arrow. These aren't huge things but I just don't understand why they got left out. My biggest criticism of the game is that it just doesn't feel like a party game any more. Sure you can pass the controller around and each take turns but the real party experience in guitar hero was with two controllers, facing off to see who could mash those buttons the fastest. This game just doesn't deliver on this front. Guitar vs DJ mode is just a cheesy way to tie in the guitar to the game where 10 of the songs in the game have one of the tracks played by guitar and someone can join in with a guitar controller if they like. DJ vs DJ I played for the first time the other night and it just doesn't give the same feeling of the epic guitar battles that my friends and I used to have. Lastly, tying in to what I was saying about the difficulty, this game is really complicated. Not really something that you can just pick up without it being explained to you. It has excellent tutorials and in the end, the game has more depth to it because of being so complicated but if you are looking for a pick up and play game like guitar hero, you really aren't in luck here. The End: The game just has a good feel to it, the beautiful 3d scenes, the weird art in the menus and loading screens, the nice track list and responsive well made controller, this game has a lot going for it. If it wasn't for the fact that I feel that they are taking a bit of a step back in the accessability and multiplayer of the franchise, then this game would be a perfect 10 as far as music games go. Expand
  10. jayb
    Oct 29, 2009
    Hey, I'm having fun at this, as I thought I would. I never could play guitar Hero (yeah, I suck bad) but this is more my way of fun with a music game. Plus, all the mixes are pretty good to listen to....can't wait to get to the DJ shadow mixes.....His CD should have been included in the RENEGADE pack instead of MC's Jay-Z and Eminem!!
  11. ChristianJ
    Nov 29, 2009
    This game is absolutely brilliant, it manages to make you feel like a DJ, like you are really pumping up the sound and everything! The complaints ive seen of the crossfader are true in a way, but, in my case, I got used to it after a few sitings, believe when i tell you this.. THIS IS ONE OF THE BEST MUSIC GAMES OUT THERE! (its well worth the price tag) Oh and another thing .. I recommend This game is absolutely brilliant, it manages to make you feel like a DJ, like you are really pumping up the sound and everything! The complaints ive seen of the crossfader are true in a way, but, in my case, I got used to it after a few sitings, believe when i tell you this.. THIS IS ONE OF THE BEST MUSIC GAMES OUT THERE! (its well worth the price tag) Oh and another thing .. I recommend you to start on the Hard difficulty because, in my case, I found Medium and Easy to boring. Collapse

1. Games Master UK
    In all it's a great package, and even if you're only vaguely into the kind of music on offer, you'll get weeks of fun out of it. [Dec 2009, p.59]
  2. PSM3 Magazine UK
    Overall polished to near-perfection, this is the next step in music games. [Dec 2009, p.84]
    In an overcrowded genre of music games, DJ Hero resides at the very top with the best of 'em. The original mixes are stunning and scratching the turntable is just as fun as it seems.