5.2

1. Jan 17, 2013
    Soooo many cry babies. It's interesting how many people can't grow up and try something new. I've been a fan of the series since the beginning. Allow us to look at Devil May Cry's history.
    Devil May Cry - Set the standard for action games.
    Devil May Cry 2 - Biggest disapointment in the history of gaming Devil May Cry 3 - One of the best redemption stories we've ever seen in gaming
    Devil May Cry - Set the standard for action games.
    Devil May Cry 2 - Biggest disapointment in the history of gaming
    Devil May Cry 3 - One of the best redemption stories we've ever seen in gaming
    Devil May Cry 4 - Aka MGS2 or Halo 2.

DmC is a very good game. Best story in the series where the story is almost nonexistent. Gameplay is better than Devil May Cry 1,2, and 4. Unfortunately it's the Unreal Engine, but for the Unreal Engine it's actually pretty nice. Dante's look is fine. I was tired of the Sephiroth/Raiden-esqe look that Dante had. New Dante doesn't smoke cigs and unlike the first Dante who doesn't get it in with females or it's assumed, New Dante gets it in before the game started. Awesome. Game is good. Give it a shot. 2nd best game in the series in my opinion. Devil May Cry 3 is definitely number 1. DmC is number two on the list. Stop crying.
  2. Jan 18, 2013
    it just amazing game with considering that change date appearance but still quite beautiful
  3. Jan 19, 2013
    The reboot's target market are mainly girls and probably gays. Boys, calm down. If you don't like it, don't play it. The backstory in this reboot is a loot clearer and has a potential to continue. I've played every DMC and I must say DMC2 was the giant mistake. Capcom have been inconsistent on the series up until now, making it a hit or miss situation. They were all about reinvention. TheyThe reboot's target market are mainly girls and probably gays. Boys, calm down. If you don't like it, don't play it. The backstory in this reboot is a loot clearer and has a potential to continue. I've played every DMC and I must say DMC2 was the giant mistake. Capcom have been inconsistent on the series up until now, making it a hit or miss situation. They were all about reinvention. They were so unsure about adding Nero into the series, so they decided to keep Dante in the game so the fans will outgrow the Nero situation. They handed it over to Ninja Theory instead of being hesitant, they put someone else to take the blame. Ninja Theory decided to reboot the series, make a clearer backstory even if it's corny(Everybody is. Suck it up, people.)

Konami have already done this. Look at Silent Hill, Without KCET(Konami Computer Entertainment Tokyo) & Akira Yamaoka, it will never be Silent Hill again.

Squaresoft/SQUARE-ENX have already done this, too: Final Fantasy, without Hironobu Sakaguchi, Nobuo Uematsu & **** Amano(Yes, did you notice the BG Signature logo of Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII, Final Fantasy: Flying Brigade & Final Fantasy: All The Bravest? **** Amano doesn't want to be a part of it anymore.) Final Fantasy will never be awesome.

Graphics? It's never been about the graphics. If you want it to be about the graphics then wait for the Windows PC version, maximize your settings just to calm down your AA OCD.

I gave it a 10. Why? I love Devil May Cry. Giving it a low score is like giving a middle finger to the entire Devil May Cry franchise. If you feel that this franchise is dying, stop being a hypocrite-- I KNOW YOU'LL PLAY THE NEXT ONE then post something negative about it.
  4. Jan 20, 2013
    Whatever your stance on rebooting the series, DmC is a great game built to respect the core of the original series.

Travel back a few months ago and you
  5. Jan 20, 2013
    I think new DMC has a best fighting mechanics for today's slashers. Controls feels perfect. And if you're fail, you see where you fail.
    But it's a shortest DMC. It feels like 2 times shorter, than previous games. Story is unpolished and not intriguing even a bit, but true British punk Dante vs modern society is a fun concept.
    PS3 version has an annoying graphics issues.
  6. Jan 20, 2013
    I want to say I'm a fan of the entire series, been playing Devil May Cry since game 1, and I love this game. The children who cannot get past that this isn't a continuation of the original game series is simply astounding. The number of people who have not played this game, and the few that have that either have no idea what they are talking about or simply are not giving the game itsI want to say I'm a fan of the entire series, been playing Devil May Cry since game 1, and I love this game. The children who cannot get past that this isn't a continuation of the original game series is simply astounding. The number of people who have not played this game, and the few that have that either have no idea what they are talking about or simply are not giving the game its chance in the lime light is staggering to say the least. This. Game. Is. A. Reboot. The original Dante? STILL THERE. Just not in this game. Why are you basing THIS game with a basis on the past games? and further why are you using it negatively for the purpose of "this isnt the original dmc." Its a Known Fact that its not the original series, that this is a reboot of the game series. Why are you using that as fire power when it has NOTHING to do with this game? The only thing the title should be used for in critiqueing is does it match the same style as previous games? Does it bring something fresh to the series? Is the game Fun to play? is the art good? production values? This is how you rate a game, not all these 0's and garbage 10 second reviews that are claiming it gave the game a chance when they clearly didnt let it breathe. As a fan, I want it clearly known, this is not the original Dante, nor Devil May Cry. Its a reboot, and I absolutely love it. I did NOT like that he was a sex crazed teenager who needs to grow up, but I can handle that, as the rest of the game thoroughly entertains me. The art is simply beautiful, and the stage design and scenery have been fantastic. Just like the PS3 Castlevania was a reboot, and all the children went off complaining about that because it wasnt traditional Belmont vs Dracula as they previously knew, I loved it too, because it was a well done game.

If you aren't a little whiny baby, and want to play an excellent game with Devil May Cry thematic idea? Pick this up, cause its worth it.
  7. Jan 18, 2013
    wow an amazing game, i really didnt expect it to be that great and was blown away. my expectations were really low and ive got to say its great. i loved the originals and havent seen a reason to hate on this one. so what if the character looks different? the new Lara croft looks different...i dont see people hating on that everywhere. I think people just jumped on the band wagon of hatewow an amazing game, i really didnt expect it to be that great and was blown away. my expectations were really low and ive got to say its great. i loved the originals and havent seen a reason to hate on this one. so what if the character looks different? the new Lara croft looks different...i dont see people hating on that everywhere. I think people just jumped on the band wagon of hate for this game without even trying it. Expand
  8. Jan 17, 2013
    This game is a very stylish game, with unique combos, and an amazing combat system. The new DMC is simply better than the rest, because the setting is much more likable, and the graphics are very stylish and likable as well. Three good words that can describe this game is stylish, badass, and sexy.
  9. Jan 22, 2013
    I have no clue how any fan of the DmC series would not love this game. For me, it is by far my favorite and for those who don't like "emo" Dante grow up. He isn't "emo" by any standards and I think his personality is far better than the previous Dante. GAMEPLAY -Two words. Top notch. Switching between the various weapons takes a little getting used to but overall its a great system withI have no clue how any fan of the DmC series would not love this game. For me, it is by far my favorite and for those who don't like "emo" Dante grow up. He isn't "emo" by any standards and I think his personality is far better than the previous Dante. GAMEPLAY -Two words. Top notch. Switching between the various weapons takes a little getting used to but overall its a great system with endless combos. I would say the combat is up to par with the previous entries in the series but I do think that getting high ranking combo's is much easier than I remember. However, getting those "SSS" style combos makes you feel like a bad ass.

STORY - By far the best story in the series. I was actually engaged and interested throughout the game. The relationship between Dante and Virgil is a nice change of pace from previous games. The comedic relief and witty remarks are up to par with the series as well. OVERALL - Great game. Don't listen to those reviews of people who don't like the "Emo" Dante or think it's too easy. Have they tried Hell and Hell or Dante Must Die difficulties? Listen to someone who has actually played the game, unlike most of the others on here.
  10. Jan 19, 2013
    I was very skeptical about DmC. Frankly, I was mostly ambivalent about the original titles and I thought the reboot concept was beneath Ninja Theory's taste-level. Rarely am I this happy to have been so wrong. I finally "get" the beauty of the original elements, while Ninja Theory busted their ass to take the existing themes and elevate them to a new level. Let me just say this - giveI was very skeptical about DmC. Frankly, I was mostly ambivalent about the original titles and I thought the reboot concept was beneath Ninja Theory's taste-level. Rarely am I this happy to have been so wrong. I finally "get" the beauty of the original elements, while Ninja Theory busted their ass to take the existing themes and elevate them to a new level. Let me just say this - give this game an hour of your time and it will make you a believer. Give it another hour and it will make you a fan. Oh, and PS - Never before have I seen a game have to endure this level of trolling... criticisms of DmC are glaringly vague and stubbornly tired. Really? All of you bought the game on release day, played it through, and came to the conclusion that it sucked? Why do I find that so suspicious? How about you stop clutching your pearls over all the cosmetic changes and kiss Ninja Theory's ass for fixing your otherwise B Grade franchise. Expand
  11. Jan 22, 2013
    Great game, with a ton of character. The action is fast and frenzied while remaining more accessible than previous games. The reboot of Dante is great with many throwbacks to his old look and an ending that is transforming him into his older self. Overall a must play.
  12. Jan 23, 2013
    The game is awesome, is a different beast from the old DMC and is a good thing, I really enjoined DMC1, 2 and even 4 but I always find Dante quite a lame '80 hair metal dude, this new style is a different kind of lame, with style. Emo Gothic **** a part is a great game with a great story, great combo, awesome different plays style from the newbie to the **** hole hardcore perfectionist.
  13. Jan 22, 2013
    I am another lifer as far as the series goes. As many people I didn't have a lot of love for 2 and unlike many people I got a lot of enjoyment out of 4. I am not sure how many of these reviews are legit, but this game is quite well designed. You may not love it but there is no way it is 4. I personally had a blast with this game even when I expected not to. I am very pleased with whatI am another lifer as far as the series goes. As many people I didn't have a lot of love for 2 and unlike many people I got a lot of enjoyment out of 4. I am not sure how many of these reviews are legit, but this game is quite well designed. You may not love it but there is no way it is 4. I personally had a blast with this game even when I expected not to. I am very pleased with what Ninja Theory has pulled off in this game. The environments and weapon switching during combat are especially enjoyable and polished. Expand
  14. Jan 18, 2013
    So yeah I'm a huge Devil May Cry Fanboi. I've spent countless hours on the originals mastering my skills, just loving the combat and the soundtrack and as a matter of fact it was Devil May Cry that made me buy a PS2 because i thought i was done with consoles after PS1. I consider myself a Professional at DMC. I rank in the Top 10 leaderboards for bloody palace in dmc 4 and i've enteredSo yeah I'm a huge Devil May Cry Fanboi. I've spent countless hours on the originals mastering my skills, just loving the combat and the soundtrack and as a matter of fact it was Devil May Cry that made me buy a PS2 because i thought i was done with consoles after PS1. I consider myself a Professional at DMC. I rank in the Top 10 leaderboards for bloody palace in dmc 4 and i've entered True Style Tournament twice.
    (if you dont know what TST is you are not a hardcore fan) I was curious on Ninja Theory's take on my beloved series and i saw the first artworks of Dante i was shocked and mad at NT for defiling DMC like that but after they changed Dante into what he is now in the actual game he kind of grew on me. Looking back now he actually looks less emo now than he did in dmc3 (where he had this screamo band leadsinger haircut only in white) Regarding his attitude i dont see a real difference, Dante has always been snappy, cracking cheesy 1 liners occasionally, he is just a little more hostile now, feeling lost in this crazy world not knowing why he has super powers, where he belongs or what he really is.
    It fits the character design very well. He evolves during the course of the story and becomes more concious and caring towards the end. Ok now that i've made my point about the design lets talk about the actual game itself.
    First the Level Design is just brilliant. I've never seen anything like it before in any videogames. The levels constantly change and shift as dante goes in and out of limbo, its just pure genius and deserves the uttmost respect for the level designers.
    The soundtrack is also great with combichrist's massive riffs pushing you forward and it also feels like they stayed true to the old games mixing in electronic drumloops and modern cuts (seriously check out Pull the Pin its just awesome), while noisia provide dark and grimey ambient bits that just feel on point wherever they are used.
    The Story of the game is predictable and kinda stolen from They Live but i dont mind too much. It has been a while since i've played a video game with an original story and also the succubus and virility has clearly been ripped from Futurama (Slurm anyone?), but hey the stories of the old dmc games or even the anime just feel stupid compared to this one. It's like preferring Tim Burton's Batman Movies to The Dark Knight Trilogy. The old ones (though being good at the time) just dont hold up anymore.
    The Combat and the Platforming is where this game really shines. As I've said before, i know DMC combat mechanics like the back of my hand but the fluidity and the simplicity of this game's combat are really exceptional. Yes they have been dumbed down in a way but its for the better. It looks great and plays even better. Juggling enemies, jump cancelling and mixing combos to raise the Style meter has never felt this good. From a professional POV I'd say the Skillcap is much lower than in previous entries but the score system transparency makes up for it. I can work on perfect runs in Hell and Hell Mode because honestly Dante Must Die is too easy for me. It will keep me going even now that i have the Platinum bagged. The platforming also gives you room to breathe and time for your fingers to relax it provides a break from the action and allowes you to marvel at the level design and the animations.
    Ninja Theory have done a remarkable job in reviving the dmc series. They created a character that is more grounded in the real world, a soundtrack that keeps you pumped and motivated, a combat system that makes it easier for newcomers to get into while still giving the pros something to practice and perfect. Go play this game, dont listen to the butthurt fanbois who are stuck in the past for all the wrong reasons. They are just copypasting youtube comments and rating this game a "0" because the main character's hair is not white anymore. Seriously sometimes im ashamed to call myself a gamer seeing how immature and stupid some people here are.

I rate this game a 9/10.
  15. Feb 2, 2013
    They made dante a more relatable and cool character. The game also has really good graphics and very fun combat with humorous dialogue. Quite possibly the best devil may cry yet with a cooler dante. Most will bash because they want the white hair bobbie straps back but there just ignorant fan boys
  16. Jan 13, 2014
    I played this game as part of the Instant Game Collection available for free to Playstation Plus members.

This is the best game of its type I have ever played, period. I was completely surprised at how outstanding the quality of the game is and I highly recommend it. The graphics and art style are just fantastic, the sound and soundtrack compliment the gameplay really well, and the controls are just great. It has an engaging plot with twists that kept me interested throughout. I didn't find the gameplay frustrating in the least. I found that even in very highly populated fight scenes, enemies that weren't in camera view wouldn't attack from off screen. To be fair, once I realized this I was able to use it a few times to get through some tough fights by positioning the camera away from the tougher enemies while I widdled down the weaker ones, but the end result was a very fun experience. DMC is very accessible and I loved this game. Developer Ninja Theory's finest.

The only trouble I find is that games in this genre continued to be priced, day one, for 60 dollars. There's a lot of competition these days from games that will keep players interested up to 100 hours and sometimes more. DMC, on the first playthrough, might take maybe about 15 hours. By comparison, Assassin's Creed games usually last about 30 hours for me, and Batman: Arkham City over 100 hours. So, it can be a hard sell - which is why I didn't pick it up when it came out and I suspect is the reason why others may not have. And it's a shame because a lot more people might have given the game a chance if it were priced better. Despite its quality, a game in this genre should not be priced at more than 40 dollars, but that's just my opinion. In any case, Playstaion Plus members can now play it for free. I'm really glad I got to play it and am eagerly looking forward to Ninja Theory's next game.
  17. Feb 2, 2013
    Haters, can seriously just shut up. The fanboys will get extremely pissed about anything whether it be a film series (e.g., Star Wars) or a video game series like Devil May Cry. For god sakes, give it a try. Play through the game and you will see, this is one of the best action games to be released in a while. Heck, its better than most of the games which released in 2012. The new Dante isHaters, can seriously just shut up. The fanboys will get extremely pissed about anything whether it be a film series (e.g., Star Wars) or a video game series like Devil May Cry. For god sakes, give it a try. Play through the game and you will see, this is one of the best action games to be released in a while. Heck, its better than most of the games which released in 2012. The new Dante is absolutely amazing, sure he's more vulgar than the original Dante but that's what DmC is all about...its a REBOOT. Get over it. This game is amazing. Expand
  18. Aug 30, 2013
    Fantastic game with barely any flaws. Anybody who dislikes the game because of the previous games is just sad. They needed this and it worked out perfectly. Amazing graphics, incredible gameplay, awesome story, great music.. I just dont see the "bad" people are talking about.

See the thing is, if this game wasnt called "DmC", it would be one of the best games most of these people have ever played. But because they rebooted the DmC franchise, you losers are going crazy. Look at that. 561 dislikes? Thats pathetic. This game deserves the high ratings and the praise. I hate that this game gets looked down on because a bunch of losers cant handle the fact that they rebooted the franchise. Get over it, and heres to hoping you didnt ruin the chance of them making DmC 2 cause i am actually looking forward to playing that masterpiece.
  19. Jan 23, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is actually amazing. I do miss the snarky playful attitude of the old Donte but this reboot is an new origin story that is surprisingly rich and I can see our new protagonist growing into the role of the snarky proud and powerful role that we so loved in the Third game (in time). Spoiler waring. By the end of the game Donte's hair is white and Vergil becomes a nemesis true to form, so stop your **** There is actually alot of potential with this new story and I hope to see more of it in the future. Sure the plot could have used a bit of cheesy, over the top moments that Hideki Kamiya is so known for. However that could be easily remedied in a sequel. Basically what I'm saying is that this reboot is not as much of a betrayal as the raving fanboys claim it is. Story aside, the combat and game play of DMC is at the top of it's form and I personally find it better then even the previous titles. My only real complaint is that the "Human" and "Devil Hunter" difficulty's are too easy. However the game is extremely replayable and with difficulty's like "Son of Sparda", "Dante Must Die" and "Heaven or Hell" there is not reason to worry about it to casuals because there is plenty to offer to even seasoned veterans of the series. This entry into the series is not as memorable as Devil May Cry 3 but it's defiantly more fun then any of the other games in the series. Next to Dark Souls this has to be currently one of my favorite games too play. Expand
  20. Feb 4, 2013
    I love this game! My full review is on the 360 version but I have played this one as well. Don't buy into what people are saying on this site with all the negative. I mean, I can show you a game worth a 1 or 2or 3 or 4, ever play vampire rain? Now that's a bad game. This game is leaps and bounds above anything like that. My two favorite DMC games are now this one and DMC3. Action fansI love this game! My full review is on the 360 version but I have played this one as well. Don't buy into what people are saying on this site with all the negative. I mean, I can show you a game worth a 1 or 2or 3 or 4, ever play vampire rain? Now that's a bad game. This game is leaps and bounds above anything like that. My two favorite DMC games are now this one and DMC3. Action fans should definitely check it out. Expand
  21. Jan 24, 2013
    An awesome reboot for mature audience. All I can say. It's a shame that such a great masterpiece is drowning under fake unfavourable rates and reviews, written by wacko "fanboys", who still cry about "Old anime retarded douchebag with affected pathos", and don't want to accept new, stylish punk. Such "persons" even don't know differences between emo and hipster cultures to start with. AndAn awesome reboot for mature audience. All I can say. It's a shame that such a great masterpiece is drowning under fake unfavourable rates and reviews, written by wacko "fanboys", who still cry about "Old anime retarded douchebag with affected pathos", and don't want to accept new, stylish punk. Such "persons" even don't know differences between emo and hipster cultures to start with. And they cry about things they even don't understand correctly. Expand
  22. Jan 26, 2013
    I'd never before played Devil May Cry in any way, shape or form when I played this. And I loved it. Maybe it was my new eyes to the series, or maybe die hard fans aren't willing to give this a shot for any number of reasons, but I thought this was a great game, and definitely better than a lot of people would have you believe. If you want to play this game, play it, and find out forI'd never before played Devil May Cry in any way, shape or form when I played this. And I loved it. Maybe it was my new eyes to the series, or maybe die hard fans aren't willing to give this a shot for any number of reasons, but I thought this was a great game, and definitely better than a lot of people would have you believe. If you want to play this game, play it, and find out for yourself whether or not it's worthy of the unfavorable user score. My rating: 10 :P Expand
  23. Mar 23, 2014
    I had a lot more fun playing DMC than playing God of war Ascension ! Plateforming sections and control-issues aside, the game offer great movesets and weapons and really cool boss fights.
  24. Jan 25, 2013
    I dont generally understand this DMC hate, even i have played all dmc games before. This game needed a change, it cant be the same like always. And you could say it needed a reboot with more cinematics and explained story. Many fans say this game is horrible but dont explains it why. And if they tell you the reason to hate this game, its ridiculous coz they are not true. You could findI dont generally understand this DMC hate, even i have played all dmc games before. This game needed a change, it cant be the same like always. And you could say it needed a reboot with more cinematics and explained story. Many fans say this game is horrible but dont explains it why. And if they tell you the reason to hate this game, its ridiculous coz they are not true. You could find many more worse games on the market, which deserves 0 grade. You have to open minded in every chapter of game you get your hands on. And more objective to rewiev games. You have to look the big picture here, not your personal feelings with you to review games and shout non-sense **** Ninja Theory did it and they did it with huge respect and good work. Ninja theory focused this time to DMC with more cinematics, more storyline and dialogues. This is hack 'n slash game with more explained dmc story.
    Yes you can find differences with older DMC, but thats not the point here. This is REBOOT. This is ninja theory version of DMC. AND this DMC IS GOOOD! Level design is much better than before: no more running from room to room like before. This time its more jumping from A to B, and hooking yourself to other places. And levels are more creative than before. Gameplay: its kick-ass. You can have 5 weapons to use them to enemies and change them during combos in a fly. Just use your imagination and create your own awesome combos to defeat enemies. Dialogues are very funny and based on characters. Dante talks like Dante, funny sarcastic and cool. Vergil is older brother being more wiser. Kat is a helpful young girl who thinks about others. This is more serious DMC than ever before. The reason why I don't give 10 to this game, is hack 'n slash games especially DMC how its being build, they need more bosses in this game. This has 6 and its fine, but 10 bosses with more challenge, this game would be the game of the year easily.
  25. Feb 9, 2014
    this game deserves atleast 8. 4.9? WTF. i understand that fanboys dont like the new Dante, but for someone like me who never played and doesnt care about DMC franchise, and looks at DMC:Devil May Cry not like a sequel to favorite series, but as a stand alone game: this game is pretty damn sweet. i guess i enjoyed it more than Darksiders. RECOMENDED
  26. Feb 4, 2013
    I really don't understand what you people have against this game other than, the mechanics are much simpler.. which makes it easier to get "SSS" combos. Thats pretty dumb to give the game a 1 along with the fact that dante looks kinda lame and says stupid Yeah i get it. the old dante was much cooler with his smartass one liners and no ****s givin attitude. The gameplay is really fun andI really don't understand what you people have against this game other than, the mechanics are much simpler.. which makes it easier to get "SSS" combos. Thats pretty dumb to give the game a 1 along with the fact that dante looks kinda lame and says stupid Yeah i get it. the old dante was much cooler with his smartass one liners and no ****s givin attitude. The gameplay is really fun and this entry actually has an interesting story. None of you have obviously never played a game that deserved such a low rating.. This game is really good and worth a try. the only reason i didnt give it a 10 is because you get some badass weapons pretty late in the game.. thats my only problem with it.. And it also has a forceful lock on that you cant control but i rarely notice it, its mainly only when I try to run past an enemy on a broken bridge and i cant stop looking at the stupid thing. Expand
  27. Feb 1, 2013
    I was very surprised with the game, mostly since I heard so many people whine about it. There's nothing wrong with the game, it's DMC with the same Dante, just earlier on in his life. Plus you unlock the white haired look when you beat the game once. Difficulty was not a problem, I played it on the 3rd difficulty out of 7 I believe, was mildly challenging. Unlocked the next one and gotI was very surprised with the game, mostly since I heard so many people whine about it. There's nothing wrong with the game, it's DMC with the same Dante, just earlier on in his life. Plus you unlock the white haired look when you beat the game once. Difficulty was not a problem, I played it on the 3rd difficulty out of 7 I believe, was mildly challenging. Unlocked the next one and got destroyed, and I'm a guy who's amongst the top 100 players on several missions on the leaderboard. The language was quite crude at points, but that's pretty much a trade mark of the series. The level design was quite great, I loved the limbo areas. Can't say there's anything bad with the game at all! Maybe that it lacked content, could have had more, I finished it in about 20 hours, but there are more difficulties to play through. Expand
  28. Jan 25, 2013
    Truly a masterpiece when it comes to enraging old fans. I've never seen such an amazing, continuous display of "features" only made to anger. I hope Capcom makes a sequel to see more people popping blood vessels. 10/10.
  29. Jul 30, 2013
    It seems like NT release a new game every 3 years. If you're a fanboy who dismiss this game just because Dante looks different, then quit being little babies because you're missing out. Instead of letting Capcom slap something cheap for DMC5, which fanboys would've called it the best game ever made, they let NT develop the game so that it can appeal to Western gamers.

A lot of companies

A lot of companies like to expand their business and while the change may feel like a middle finger to the hardcore fans at first, they should really give this game a chance because it's really good. It runs on 30 FPS but there's no slowdowns and the action is smooth so it does feel like the game is running on 60 FPS. It's free style combat is over-the-top, stylish and just as engaging as the previous DMC games.

It's ok to compare new Dante to old Dante but in the end, you should judge him for who he is and whether or not you like him. Not just say "oh, this isn't the Dante I know and love", it's called a reboot. A lot of these fanboys can't accept new life in their beloved franchise, even though it did something different, but they bash on other franchises for releasing the same thing, not going to name names.

The graphics, art style and level designs is stunning, it's just so good to look at. The game is also backed up by it's awesome rock/electro soundtrack. As soon as you complete the first mission with the "Never Surrender" soundtrack playing in the background that's been used well for the first level, you'll be instantly hooked into the game.

Change is great, even if it's not as good as the old DMC. NT is great when it comes to story, does Heavenly Sword or Enslaved ring any bells? The story is simple but what lies within the story is a complex theme of corporation and capitalism. The whole idea of Dante fighting demons in Limbo feels a bit like Inception, which is awesome. Puzzles are replaced by platforming bits that were well made, although there is a Spider-Man thing going on when Dante swings from one platform to another.

Dante swears a lot in DmC and he's more of a sexual deviant but the new Dante is just as confident and fearless as the old Dante, so DmC and DMC, while DmC is quite different, does have a few aspects in common that does DmC justice to the original series. One being the character and the other being the fast, energetic and intense action.

While hardcore DMC fans might find the lower levels less challenging than DMC, since it pretty much hands out S ranks, it's a great way to introduce new fans or casual gamers who aren't particularly a fan of the franchise or the genre in general and maybe those who find DMC games, especially 3, too hard.

There are a variety of difficulties so for hardcore DMC fans who didn't find DmC challenging, try Heaven and Hell and then try Hell and Hell but you'll have to unlock it first which shouldn't be a complaint since it's really rewarding. After all, you wouldn't want a game that hands out stuff to you.

Heaven and Hell is not as easy as haters say it is but it's certainly not impossible. The idea of having to constantly switch from Angel Mode to Devil Mode gives both weapon types an advantage and disadvantage instead of just upgrading weapons to make them stronger like most games do.

The game is not without it's flaws though. There's no lock on feature which sucks because it would have been useful, especially while I'm fighting a group of demons both aerial and ground enemies. You can pretty much defeat bosses easily by using the same strategy that you use when fighting common demons, though boss battles, especially Bob Barbas, are creative.

Capcom's retarded sale tactics of releasing a couple of skins as DLC are another issue, because one of which is the classic Dante. There's no taunt but that's not really an issue since Dante already has a bad mouth in the cutscenes.

In the end, DmC pulls off an unlikely reboot that feels fresh while holding on to what makes DMC so good. It's probably the third best game in the franchise. If you want to hold on to old Dante, why don't you just play the previous games. Original and 3 are still the best anyways.

The game may be a commercial failure but that's because fans boycott the game, not because it's bad. Call of Duty breaks world record sales on day one, does that mean it's the best gaming franchise ever made? Recommended for those who aren't a fan of DMC. Recommended for hardcore fans as well but a lot of them are still skeptical so it's best that they rent the game or borrow my copy from a friend.
  30. Jan 22, 2013
    When a game is rebooted, it means that the previous games had a lame plot, or for making new fans. I think previous Devil May Cry games were actually awesome games. I didn't understand the reason of this reboot, but it's done already, so let's face it: the old storyline is over (for now!!).
    I will analyze some points of the game:
    Gameplay: Always engaging, the only flaw is the easiness
    I will analyze some points of the game:
    Gameplay: Always engaging, the only flaw is the easiness of making high rank, but it's compensated by the various difficulty of the game.
    Sound: the idea to mix old rock-metal songs with some dubstep tracks isn't so bad at all. I found them exciting at some point.
    Video: some bad textures and some bad shadows doesn't ruin a game, but they are however flaws.
    Story: that's the most important thing of all the game: how to make a better story if the old story is awesome? Ninja Theory transposed the character of DMC saga in a new, more politically focused story, trying to use some plot device modern, using things like debts, mass media to explain while the demon are ruining the city.
    When I first play this game, I noticed a detail: the new-Dante is like a younger Dante than the DMC3 Dante, more insecure, but always a **** demon slayer. The separation between world and limbo (another dimension parallel to the world where there are demons) is a cool idea,but I always liked the idea of demons among us.
    Eventually I have a advice for all of you: if you never play old DMCs, but you like the hack/slash game, then buy/rent this game (the story is short, but there are a lot of things to do ingame, and 7 difficulties, changing the mobs you will find and the skill sets of this mobs) and play it; if you are a fan of the old DMC, grab this game, because the atmosphere overall will satisfy you, the thing of making like a parallel story (marvel/ultimate marvel style) isn't bad at all, and play it till the end, there is a surpise ;)
  31. Jan 22, 2013
    Yes I'm a DMC fan and I've played all DMC games up to now. I have to admit the first two were okay (though DMC2 was pretty bad), the 4th was so-so but the 3rd rocked solid! This new reboot takes the good additions from DMC4 and brings back good ol' Dante. Yes he's looking different, but the character feels alot more alive that the first ones. Gameplay is really nice on top of that! TheYes I'm a DMC fan and I've played all DMC games up to now. I have to admit the first two were okay (though DMC2 was pretty bad), the 4th was so-so but the 3rd rocked solid! This new reboot takes the good additions from DMC4 and brings back good ol' Dante. Yes he's looking different, but the character feels alot more alive that the first ones. Gameplay is really nice on top of that! The only point I dislike a little is that you have 2 dodge buttons and no lock-on button.. Nevertheless, this game is very worth playing!! Expand
  32. Jan 22, 2013
    whilst not the most original game to come out in a long time, DMC is nothing more or less than what it appears... a glitzy, fun action game. Oh and Dante got really hot with this makeover...
  33. Jan 23, 2013
    Thank you Ninja Theory for building a new foundation for DmC and it's characters to grow. Not only did you bring back the characters we loved but made them deep and gave them growth throughout the story. After beating this game I can only imagine what Ninja Theory could bring for the next DmC games. Please, keep it up. Don't be mislead by the angry user reviews (I honestly don't know whatThank you Ninja Theory for building a new foundation for DmC and it's characters to grow. Not only did you bring back the characters we loved but made them deep and gave them growth throughout the story. After beating this game I can only imagine what Ninja Theory could bring for the next DmC games. Please, keep it up. Don't be mislead by the angry user reviews (I honestly don't know what they are crying about) and play. this. game. DMC fan or not, it's a blast. Expand
  34. Jan 25, 2013
    I been a DMC fan since the first game and this version of DMC was good and interesting about changing the half demon to nephilim. But the only thing that I thought that it was to easy were to fight the bosses including fighting Mundus and Vergil. I think that it should be more difficult than fighting than the previous ones. The music was great , good graphics , interesting stories( aI been a DMC fan since the first game and this version of DMC was good and interesting about changing the half demon to nephilim. But the only thing that I thought that it was to easy were to fight the bosses including fighting Mundus and Vergil. I think that it should be more difficult than fighting than the previous ones. The music was great , good graphics , interesting stories( a little confused with the previous ones but interesting the point of view) , but the combos were a little easy. And Vergil looks like an idiot with that hat . Expand
  35. Jan 25, 2013
    I was very septical when I've heard about the new DMC. First of all, I've enjoyed all previous Devil May Cry (1 to 4). The new DMC is clearly different, but is definitely a masterpiece. I had the opportunity to play the PC version that had a great framerate. I've heard that the console versions had few problems. The story, the gameplay machanics and the graphics are simply amazing. It hasI was very septical when I've heard about the new DMC. First of all, I've enjoyed all previous Devil May Cry (1 to 4). The new DMC is clearly different, but is definitely a masterpiece. I had the opportunity to play the PC version that had a great framerate. I've heard that the console versions had few problems. The story, the gameplay machanics and the graphics are simply amazing. It has slightly less combos than the previous ones and the game difficulty might be too easy when not playing on hard, but I think it's great that way. Veterans can play on Hard... And harder and still have some challenges. The musics are even better than the previous games. I'm giving a 9 out of 10. Expand
  36. Jan 27, 2013
    Don't listen too all the negative reviews because this it not as bad as it is claimed to be. Being a big fan of the 1st and 3rd game, I gotta say that this game is pretty damn good and it has a lot of qualities that make it sometimes better than the main series. My play through of the game was on hard and this will be more of a comparative review to the other games.

GAMEPLAY is good,

GAMEPLAY is good, smooth, solid and the whole 30fps thing doesn't make any difference when playing, it doesn't chug or look terrible in any sense. There is not a lock on mode this time around which may sound like a bad choice but the auto lock is done very well, I had no problems whatsoever targeting those I want to hit even when they are way in the back of a horde of monsters. Devil Trigger isn't that great this time around, before using the DT would enhance your abilities and holding the DT button before activating can give way to some strategic energy blasts for clearing clusters of enemies. Now the DT just blasts the enemies in the air for you go combo crazy for short amount of time and just, for me, serves as nothing more as a 'get off me' button. This game takes some elements from the 4th game where you can grapple enemies to either bring them to you or you to them but thankfully doesn't make it piss easy as Nero makes it in the 4th game with his OP instakills arm abilities. The ranking system is much more forgiving in this one but at the same time isn't as rewarding either which kind of makes it pointless this time around.

WEAPONS are a bit lackluster when compared to the 3rd game as this one only has 3 guns and 5 weapons; 2 Angelic which are quick and good for groups but deal less damage and 2 Demonic which are slow but good for single targets and deal a lot of damage. You don't have to worry about which ones you want to bring each mission as you will always have them on you. Rebellion in default, holding R2 will bring out Demonic weapons and L2 for Angelic weapons which makes having which one you want out a breeze.

LEVEL DESIGN is absolutely awesome this time around, much, MUCH better than the previous games. The designs are beautiful and varied unlike the string lined, claustrophobic and generally dull feel of the originals. There is a little bit more emphasis on exploring the levels as the lost souls, keys, and secret rooms are hidden throughout the levels and sometimes inaccessible until you get later weapons to add a little to the game for the next play though. The mostly takes place in LIMBO where the real world gets ripped up and twisted which give the developers freedom to do just about whatever they can think of making for some awesome experiences.

CHARACTERS and STORY is better overall this time around with the demons in control of everything from behind the scenes through the media and whatnot unlike before where the story boils down to "They are opening the gate to the demon world, we have to stop them!". I thought I was going to hate this version of Dante but they have come through and did a pretty good job. He reminds me a little more of Nero than previous Dante, like Nero being more serious but will occasionally joke and insult here and there. Vergil on the other hand is a bit jarring, basically take Vergil from 3 and turn his character around, I did not like this version at all but is a decent character at best on his own merits.

ENEMIES and BOSSES are pretty good here as well and I overall prefer this roster of enemies more than the previous games, starting off a little too easy but later on offering up quite a challenge without being annoying or feeling cheap and dirty. The bosses in this game, though not very difficult, they felt fresh and were not as annoying, frustrating, or boring like a lot of the other bosses in the previous games. While I still prefer the bosses in 3 I do like the overall designs of DmC's bosses way more than games 1, 2, and 4.

MUSIC surprised me here, I thought it was going to suck. I thought it was going to be the most annoying, stupid euro pop crap I was gonna ever hear based on the old trailers but to my surprise they kept it very similar to the 3rd games style. No complaint here but I do wish they would have had some of those angelic themes and piano themes from the 3rd game but that is just me.

OVERALL I think Ninja Theory did a fantastic job here and in a lot of ways improving what the previous team(s) kept failing to improve. Better than 3? I don't know I am still trying to figure that out but I do like it way more the 1, 2(lol) and 4. Give it a shot.
  37. Jan 28, 2013
    Highly enjoyable. Despite a few audio glitches, this game succeeded in surpassing its predecessors nicely. Great story, voice acting and themes. Ending was a little predictable.
  38. Feb 2, 2013
    This is my first review here and i just registered to defend this game!
    All those haters voting it with a 0,i mean u have to be very immature to rate any game with a 0 and this game doesnt deserve any rating under 7! U may not like the new Dante,or the new style,but even if u dont like how it looks,this game is still fun to play!
    Ninja Theory did an awesome job with the reboot and
    This is my first review here and i just registered to defend this game!
    Ninja Theory did an awesome job with the reboot and brought us one of the best games in the genre. DmC is one of the best games i ever played and yes,i was a huge fan of the "old" DMC too.
    Get ur head out of ur a** and give it a chance,u wont regret it.
  39. Feb 14, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. lol writing this as i'm listening to Combichrist xD Great music.

Okay, so i hear alot of hate about this game, why? DmC is a great game, and if you ask me, better than the previous ones. You see, this game focuses alot on more hack and slash than constant puzzles which in my opinion slowed down gameplay. Levels are also more linear so you don't have to worry about getting lost. Now Dante has changed alot, and he is in my opinion, pretty badass. Yes he swears, but this game also takes place in a more modern time, so deal with it. His hair is rather boring, but after i completed it once, i replayed it on Son of Sparda (which is a kick-ass mode btw) with the white hair (that is slightly longer than the black hair). Many fans claim this game is easy, well then play Son of Sparda you idiots. Level design is amazing, better than anything i have seen before. "HURR 30 FPS" Shut the hell up, it doesn't have any effect on the game itself. Fighting is faster than ever, and with unique and epic enemies that require different strategies, this makes combat awesome. Speaking of strategies, Dante now has an angel and demon mode (blue and red). Angel weapons are faster, demon weapons are stronger (Dante can hold up to 8 weapons). And now it's time for the devil trigger. Honestly it's not a big deal, i like it.

That was basic gameplay, the story is kind of strong i guess? I never care about stories in games, but i could feel it in this one. Voice acting is also okay, well maybe not Dante, he sounds way too hollow. (SPOILER AHEAD) But characters themselves seem very weak, unlike Dante, where you will get info about him the whole game. But Kat and Vergil? NOTHING. First of all there's not a clear back story of Kat, and I never found out why Vergil hates humans so much. Like why the should I fight Vergil at the end? "HUMANS ARE OUR SLAVES, NOW THE BOSS FIGHT BEGINS" c'mon that's just stupid.
    (SPOILER END)

Speaking of bosses *sigh* bosses are easy as Dear Ninja Theory, if the normal enemies are more difficult to kill than the bosses, there's a slight problem. ^^

So generally speaking: Great game, great combat, great atmosphere, great level design, good story, allthough weak characters and easy bosses. "DmC Devil may Cry" gets my solid 8 out of 10
  40. Feb 16, 2013
    DmC is a game that has been getting a lot of negative attention since its reveal a couple of years ago. Fans of the original games have been raging over Dante's physical appearance and how the story and aesthetics have completely changed. Now DmC is finally and its is awesome! Its a dark and more mature story this time around and Dante is not a cheesy character. Level design in the gameDmC is a game that has been getting a lot of negative attention since its reveal a couple of years ago. Fans of the original games have been raging over Dante's physical appearance and how the story and aesthetics have completely changed. Now DmC is finally and its is awesome! Its a dark and more mature story this time around and Dante is not a cheesy character. Level design in the game are some of the best I've ever seen, with environments shifting around and beautiful destruction. This all comes with great graphics and an awesome blend of colors. Combat is a ton fun and its satisfying. I couldn't wait to get to the next horde of the enemies to come attack so I could beat the crap out of the them. My only gripes with the game were it was too short and getting SSS were a breeze. With all that being said, DmC is a blast. If you still haven't pick it up, I highly suggest you check it out soon. Fans of the franchise are giving this game 1's and 0's. This is insulting as I have played game that are that bad and Devil May Cry is not a 1! Do not listen to those babies. Expand
  41. Feb 16, 2013
    Some times the community is a complete This game is AWESOME and a liked it very much Only the cinematics from the game are a stand alone movie... For me just go buy it ..But if you are not sure check out some videos on YouTube :D
  42. Mar 26, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Some other people give this game some very under rated ratings. I give it a 10 out of 10 due to how well it explained how everything started, how Vergil and Dante began to hate each other and how all the demons came into the real world and Vergil became the leader of the Demon World. The combos are still the same and so are most of the weapons and powers. The new weapons are fantastic. Thank you for another great game. Also most people rate this game so low because of how young and different Dante is. Expand
  43. Mar 20, 2014
    Wow, for anyone who hasnt played devilmaycry this is a must play game. The crying fans need to be quiet, if this hadn't been called devilmaycry, it would of score a 9 all over the board for amazing gameplay, graphics and story alone.
  44. Jul 24, 2013
    Devil may cry 4 was a HUGE flop, they MUST reboot the story, and the new style is AMAZING.
    The gameplay is pure fun,
    all the weapons are useful, not like in the others, when you can play ONLY with a sword.
  45. Sep 14, 2013
    Dmc its not bad like everyone think! Open your mind. Dante its back, and has a fantastic gameplay and better than the previous games! I played all the DMC's, and when I beated the game, I realized that Dante will be as it once! Before saying anything about the new Dante, know that Capcom wanted to change his style, and changed for the better in my opinion, because there were many mistakesDmc its not bad like everyone think! Open your mind. Dante its back, and has a fantastic gameplay and better than the previous games! I played all the DMC's, and when I beated the game, I realized that Dante will be as it once! Before saying anything about the new Dante, know that Capcom wanted to change his style, and changed for the better in my opinion, because there were many mistakes in the other games that made Capcom remade the entire franchise! If you play the entire game noticed that it is rather a Devil May Cry, passing the story, Dante demonstrates why his personality changes, thus becoming the Dante we know! The same happens with the story of Vergil, who this game is weaker than Dante, because if you play the DLC Vergil's Downfall notice that the power increases Vergil and leaves to see how will be the continuation! The next game will be much better, and rejoices all fans of the series! I also think that you guys had liked the change at the beginning! No, and now I realize that everything is moving towards better! Gives a chance and wait for the new game! Ninja Theory is very cool, Capcom made ​​a great choice! 8.9 is the note I give! The rest if you ask me, if you can buy the game and play! Will not regret it! It's better than promised! Expand
  46. Sep 3, 2013
    Can I just say, Reboot. I am a fan of the original games and of this one, for all the haters that seem to bash it reread the fifth word a time or two. They did an amazing job with this game. I'm a fan just as much of it as of the original ones. So lay off and think of it as a new light on an amazing set of classics.
  47. Sep 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Heavy spoilers here, so don't read this if you plan on buying this game, or are currently playing and haven't finished it yet.
    So, when the demo was released I played it to death and enjoyed it fully and I bought the full game on release. I thoroughly enjoyed this game right till the very end.
    I'll be reviewing all of the game now.
    The Story: The story was very cliché with major plot points such as: This person predictably got killed, or, the bad guy did something bad and predictable. What I'm getting at is the story is very predictable, even the 'Surprise' final boss that I'll get into when I get into it.
    The Combat: The combat was very fluid and had a lot of crazy combos, the controls were easy to get a hand of in about 30 seconds and it was so easy to switch your weapons. While removing the lock-on system from past DMC games, it is one of the best combat systems I have used, and is almost identical to God of War's, which is incredible.
    Gameplay: Because most of the gameplay is the combat, and you've already read that (hopefully) will not be covered here. The movement isn't too fast, and isn't too slow, but there was quite a lot of unnecessary platforming, which disrupts the flow of the game.
    The Bosses: The bosses were (mostly) fun to fight, SO. Bob Barbas is one of the best bosses in any DMC game, he is a dick to you throughout the game and then you get to fight him about 1/3 through the game and then you fight him IN THE NEWS (how awesome?), this boss is so well designed during the battle, you have to smash these red spots on the floor to bring down a shield and then attack him, and you feel the need to kill him because in the middle of the fight, Bob reports that The Order is being raided by SWAT teams, who are targeting Vergil and Kat. This only angers Dante, while Bob taunts him that they cannot hope to defeat Mundus, which drives you to kill him At the end of the battle, Dante shoots Bob Barbas' human form, killing him. Saying 'Breaking news Bob, you're fired!'
    Mundus, the person you've been wanting to fight since the beginning, is a Re-skin of a boss from one of the first levels, who was hard because you didn't have all the awesome upgrades and weapons at the start, is now re-skinned and easier than ever.
    And then you fight Virgil, who has been the bad guy in previous Devil May Cry titles, This fight brings no skills you have learnt throughout the game and is straight up fighting, and is BORING.
    But with all its flaws, it still is an awesome game and I highly reccommend buying it. 8/10
  48. Oct 12, 2013
    DMC is a great hack and slash game, the art style is amazing and it kind of has a dubstep feel to it. The voice acting is great, the soundtrack is amazing, boss fights are really good. From having all those good things DMC also has its downfalls such as Ninja Theory changing Dantes and Vergils character models. DMC also focuses too much at talking and forcing you into Limbo. During someDMC is a great hack and slash game, the art style is amazing and it kind of has a dubstep feel to it. The voice acting is great, the soundtrack is amazing, boss fights are really good. From having all those good things DMC also has its downfalls such as Ninja Theory changing Dantes and Vergils character models. DMC also focuses too much at talking and forcing you into Limbo. During some parts in the game it almost feels like Ninja theory is trying to disrespect the first four games, it just seems like Ninja theory dosint give a crap about the Devil May Cry fanbase. The reason i call the new Devil May Cry DMC is because this is not a Devil May Cry game to me, its just a great knockoff. Th ending is pretty unexpected, although i should've expected what Virgil does. I think Capcom is trying to disrespect Devil May Cry just like they did to Mega Man. Expand
  49. Sep 28, 2013
    No se enojen conmigo por una opinión personal pero... Para mí "DmC" es un juego fenomenal y divertido. Se notan cambios menores, pero el juego de Ninja Theory es, para mi gusto la tercera mejor entrega de Devil May Cry y, además me agradó revivir la experiencia que lo empezó todo desde la primera y mejor entrega.
  50. Oct 11, 2013
    An excellent, well-rounded game with superb graphics, epic gameplay and an intriguing story. For a reboot, they paid homage to old traditions in DMC, while bringing so many new and fresh things to appeal to the modern and current generation of gamers. This game is great for new fans, and old fans alike who are willing to actually play it with and give it a try. This reboot brings new lifeAn excellent, well-rounded game with superb graphics, epic gameplay and an intriguing story. For a reboot, they paid homage to old traditions in DMC, while bringing so many new and fresh things to appeal to the modern and current generation of gamers. This game is great for new fans, and old fans alike who are willing to actually play it with and give it a try. This reboot brings new life and fresh blood into the franchise, and I look forward to the prospect of a sequel. Expand
  51. Jan 3, 2014
    For the record, I played DMC1 and DMC3 and enjoyed them very much
    I had low expectations of this game given the shown trailers, but found it a very enjoyable experience.
    The story, very much in line with the series, is again completely non-sensical, even if it tries to take itself seriously. The fighting, which is the core of every DMC game, is actually better than in other DMC
    For the record, I played DMC1 and DMC3 and enjoyed them very much

The fighting, which is the core of every DMC game, is actually better than in other DMC games. The customisation has been tuned down a bit, but there were very few people who could master 8+ different weapons and their combo's anyway (as in DMC3). So it's a good thing they simplified it.
    Combo's have been streamlined in between weapons, which makes them a lot more logical to execute.
    There are at times also tips given on how to deal with certain times of ennemies, but very gradually which is a welcome change.

The characters: The main antagonist is actually pretty well crafted and believable, but you can't say the same of Dante. For the main character, he's incredibly childish and non-believable.
    There are however a few pretty good jokes hidden in the game, but there's also a lot of 14 year old chatter.

Graphics are OK, but design quality varies greatily in between levels. There are a few masterpieces of design in the game, but there are also a few questionable (albeit original designed) and tasteless decision choices on two bosses (in my opinion), which was a bit offsetting.

But all in all, a good experience.
  52. Nov 12, 2013
    I dont know why everyone is hating. I am an fan f the old games, played them all, loved them and their classical style. Ninja theory tried something new, and it was awesome. Sure Dante is more edgy but thats the whole point of making a younger dante. The combat is perfect, I actually use the other weapons, you have too on some enemies!! Before in other games, I felt i had to go out of myI dont know why everyone is hating. I am an fan f the old games, played them all, loved them and their classical style. Ninja theory tried something new, and it was awesome. Sure Dante is more edgy but thats the whole point of making a younger dante. The combat is perfect, I actually use the other weapons, you have too on some enemies!! Before in other games, I felt i had to go out of my way to use the another weapon just for the sake of changing it up a bit. Before, rebllion proved so strong, that it was pointless to use other weapons for dante. The firearms on the other and were not that great for this DmC, i have to admit. the charge shot wasnt really selling it for me at least. As for devil trigger, i like how colors and surrounds sort of change, but the way demons just rise up is annoying, by the time i bring them down, DT is half gone, and your only using it on one enemy. the slow m when killing the last enemy is really nice touch, and love the grapple hooks addition to the game. The story is pretty simple, building up to the last boss fight, but at least you are not thrown into fighting demos in the previous games without knowing who is what and whats your goal in the game. Its a bit of a cliche making the brothers enemies in the end, we all knew a fight was coming, but dont make it the last and final. It just ruins the story. Plus the dlc, I didnt buy that vergil just went evil after spending all his life fighting demons and searching for his brother. Dante may have sightly betrayed him, but only to ensure humans have true freedom from demons. they shouldve went with dante vs. vergil fight on mission 19, and later mundus fight as the final boss. I dont why everyone is hating on vergil too, hes still badass here and actually has a goal and some character development, in dmc3, you have no idea why you are fighting vergil, just because he wants more power, please... all in all, it was an amazing game, superbly made, in support of unreal engine. The plot does need a little more mystery, characters, and a satisfying twist. Expand
  53. Jan 22, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Ok, have to clear this up. this game deserves much more than a 4.9, which is the current user score.

(spoilers)

I'm a veteran of the devil may cry franchise, been playing since the 1st one. While I'm very attached to the old dante (as attached as you can be to a character you know so little about), as a video game (and DMC) enthusiast, I can't let that get in my way.

This game is technologically and critically head and shoulders above previous installments in the franchise. While I think it may have happened a little bit too soon, I really hope to see a sequel to this game.

I never felt attached to old Dante. He was always just some badass in a red coat with a sword. and that was awesome. I've always felt that the DMC story line was obscure to mask a lack of coherence. With the Reboot, we're able to know the characters so much more. You get to watch this young, lost badass become the **** talking demon hunter we know and love. You get to watch him build a bond with his lost brother and then see this bond torn away, wo witness the borth and growth of characters and relationships like previous DMC games never even thought about doing.. old DMC never made me feel anything, except "that was awesome". With Neo-Dante, it's so much more awesome, and also emotional. great story, great fastpaced and open ended frantic action gameplay leave most people behind. it's too "hardcore" for some people. and with better story telling and game play.

This game is great. anything below a seven is unwarranted, submitted by an uneducated and/or stubborn and/or ignorant and/or narrow minded fanboy
  54. Mar 6, 2014
    O.K for the sake of being honest I have played very little of the other DMC games mainly watching my brother playing it. So as a newcomer I liked this game I found the others to hard and would generally would not play this kind of game, it was the main guy Dante who pulled me in and there lies the controversy of this game.

Die hards of the game will hate the new look and new attitude of

Die hards of the game will hate the new look and new attitude of Dante but as a newcomer it does not bother me to much. The game is a lot easier than previous entries in the series but if you still want the challenge there are plenty of difficulty's to choose from including the Dante must die mode and heaven and hell or if you are really hardcore hell and hell.

But this is a GOOD game and if you have not played a DMC game before and if you are not a fan of fighting games (normally I hate them) I would still recommend it.

The Good- Excellent level design the world feels like it wants and actively tries to kill you
    The Bad- Negative scores given by fanboys unfairly scoring this game 0's 1's 2's
    The Ugly- Oh Ninja Theory why would you do that with the wig hair joke you really thought that was a good idea?

Final Verdict: 8/10 A Dam Good Game
    Have a look at it even if you generally don't play fighter games like me.
  55. Jan 3, 2014
    First things first: I'm a very big DMC series fan. And I was a fan who no longer give much importance to the series. Now thanks to this game: Dante is back and in shape! GoodBye Nero (was that the name?). DmC is a very cool action game!! I really loving this game! I'm writing this review in half of my progression in the game and I want to play a second time.. maybe third.

The Gameplay

The Gameplay (10/10): super smooth, very fast and very rewarding! super mega big combos with lots of weapons in the air in the gound where ever you want! I think is the most rewarding dmc game in gameplay! Big smile in my face when I hear "SADISTIC" in a hollow voice lol. very cool. Really, this game makes me laugh of pleasure. To the fans they should play in nephilim mode, is more difficult and it's not very easy to reach the SSS rank (only once in my playtrough). Man the weapons are a delight!!! Nice addiction the training mode, very useful!!

The Graphics (9/10): put this simple Limbo is a very beautiful place.. shame is full of demons the producers gave much love to this city very colorful and is always changing top down bottom up! cool the city changes when we walk on it! seriously often stopped just to rotate the camera and see the scenery. so much happens in those landscapes that we can not see due to the frantic combat.

The Sound (9/10): in my opinion the best in the series. period. i remember playing dmc3 and was boring always the same music. Now yes this is a soundtrack. Heavy metal with electronic music. cool stuf with many different tunes that give perfect balance to what we see on screen. The music is dynamic to, depending on your performance in combat and style. The voice acting is great!! great job!!

Conclusion: Ninja Theory respects DMC and is fans: as we play the game we understand it. Thanks to their imagination the series will not die because it seemed to be the destiny of Dante. The world of gaming has changed a lot and DMC needed to change to. I dont understand that low scores!! why?!!! Dont want the newcomers to play this amazing action game?! Now make yourself a favour go play this game and have a hell of a good time (hell man!!) with style!!

Dante is back!! with lots of style! never thought I'd say this again!

Almost forgot: Dante! very nice kid. super style and bad ass!! always mocking! I was tired of that kind of japanese super hero/manga/anime from past games. this dante is more human. much more human. very well designed with great attention to detail. and is story is simple but fun and better than past games. And Vergil is very cool to. For me better than dmc3.

Cons: I can not give a 10 I wish I could because this game got it all, but I cant because is a little to short. Some missions are way to small (like make a few jumps and kill a few demons) but on the other hand this game screams repeatability all the way. I just finish and I must play two or more times to finish everything I left behind. And it's fun to play so it will not be boring. Another thing: where's the taunt button (this one is personnel)?!

PS.: that Devil Trigger is cool stuff.. again the "cool" word!!
  56. Jan 8, 2014
    To all who hated the DmC: Devil May Cry game listen this game is a remake of the old Devil May Cry and as a loyal fan I think it really, but Dante's character could had been better written instead of him being a or "Emo". Although DmC: Devil May Cry has a few issue like gameplay, easily getting a triple S (SSS) ranking, the no aiming system, and a few other things but if you guys haveTo all who hated the DmC: Devil May Cry game listen this game is a remake of the old Devil May Cry and as a loyal fan I think it really, but Dante's character could had been better written instead of him being a or "Emo". Although DmC: Devil May Cry has a few issue like gameplay, easily getting a triple S (SSS) ranking, the no aiming system, and a few other things but if you guys have face issue please comment them. This game is really amazing and Ninja Theory please as a fan to the series all of us DmC: Devil May Cry fans and Devil May Cry fans we want to see more and oh my god if we get to play with either DmC: Devil May Cry with Dante's father, Trish, Lady, and even Nero and guys side note here the chick from the second Devil May Cry isn't memorable as Lady and Trish. Ninja Theory we can't wait to see what you can do for this next generation of gameplay hell it would be amazing to see including a Devil trigger a Angel Trigger oh my god that would awesome or even other new gameplay features we never got in the old Devil May Cry. Expand
  57. Jan 9, 2014
    This is the first time I've posted how I've felt about a game online b/c it's the first time I thought I really needed to, I feel this way because the game had really great reviews from critcs but sold a million copys under what capcom was expecting and for some reason people who played the game didn't like it no idea y though, all these reasons make me fear the are not going to continueThis is the first time I've posted how I've felt about a game online b/c it's the first time I thought I really needed to, I feel this way because the game had really great reviews from critcs but sold a million copys under what capcom was expecting and for some reason people who played the game didn't like it no idea y though, all these reasons make me fear the are not going to continue the reboot and make a DmC 2, now onto how i feel about the game, the games been great so far decent graphics coupled by excellent gameplay and the story was pretty dam good, the old dmc for me was mediocre excludingg 4 wich was prty good I didn't really enjoy Dante as a charecter in the old. One but I liked him in this one ( I did this on an iPad so I apoligise in advance if it's hardto read. Expand
  58. Jan 29, 2014
    This game has everything you want from the devil may cry series and more. The third installment in the series left me a bit stale but after playing this game I loved it. The weapon system, style system, item system, further content afterwards. EVERYTHING about this game was done right. Keep up the great work.
  59. Mar 2, 2014
    I loved the old games, and this one certainly did not disappoint me. A reboot is not supposed be about making the exact same thing over again, like Halo 1. Let the masterpiece be before you mess with what is perfect. If you don't like it just don't play. They did a great job with a new story and some very well developed characters. The game is still wide open to take alot of the same roadsI loved the old games, and this one certainly did not disappoint me. A reboot is not supposed be about making the exact same thing over again, like Halo 1. Let the masterpiece be before you mess with what is perfect. If you don't like it just don't play. They did a great job with a new story and some very well developed characters. The game is still wide open to take alot of the same roads as the last one. I am looking forward to the sequel and stealing the hair cut! Expand
  60. Apr 1, 2014
    I don't undestand all the bad/evil critics...**** awesome game..Varieted gameplay, lots of weapons and cool combos to use. Just don't get a 10 because I didn't liked the end.
  61. Mar 25, 2014
    great game. Combat system is very addictive but kind of repetive, storyline is not very satisfying ( not what i bought the game for though), soundtrack is amazing, and the weapon unlocks, and special moves are pretty cool too.
  62. Jul 15, 2014
    Few games manage to make difficulty a genuine selling point, but the Devil May Cry games are an example of just that done well. DmC is not just a difficult combat driven game though; by re-envisioning the game series from a more western perspective, the game has been more grounded in western culture and as such this iteration has a far more engaging story compared to previous games in theFew games manage to make difficulty a genuine selling point, but the Devil May Cry games are an example of just that done well. DmC is not just a difficult combat driven game though; by re-envisioning the game series from a more western perspective, the game has been more grounded in western culture and as such this iteration has a far more engaging story compared to previous games in the series,

Gameplay wise, this is as you'd expect. There's a multitude of weapons, various different styles of combat and movement, and all of this is mapped to the controller in such a way that you'll need the use of every button. It's masterfully crafted, and while some changes are made, such as the guns being far less powerful in this incarnation of the series, it's all still very skill focused. There are less moves in this game compared to Devil May Cry 4, but what is here is plentiful and true mastery of these combat mechanics would take years. Any DMC fan wanting the challenge of previous games will not be disappointed, particularly with the additional difficulties unlocked after the first playthrough. Level design is very well set up, with storyline reasons behind the otherworldliness of the levels. Platforming sections break up the action well and fit nicely with the controls. Lastly there's the boss battles all of which fit the theme, require specific tactics and mastery of the controls; actually change their patters and tactics on different difficulty levels; and are genuinely inventive in design.

Storyline wise, whilst nothing groundbreaking in fiction, the story is a good example of an anti-corporate story in which a disenfranchised anarchic man-child learns to put his abilities to use to take down the corrupt corporate world powers who are, in this case literally, demonic evil. It's very reminiscent of They Live and has elements of George Orwell's 1984. Derivative sure, but well written, well paced, and an interesting attempt to tell an engaging story with a franchise that had previously never attempted to be more than a cheesy over-the-top animé.

All in all this is one of the best action games made in years and barring a few textures issues, slight screen tearing during cutscenes oddly though thankfully not during gameplay; this game has no real notable flaws. It's sad really that this site will be filled with pathetic squawking fanboys rating it unreasonably low because the developers changed Dante's hair colour (something they actually did for a story purpose that as a fan of the series I quite appreciated actually). If you see this game get it, the easy difficulty is accessible but still challenging for new players, while the extended difficulty modes will keep veteran fans going for years; couple that with a decent and well told story and you can't go wrong. An easy recommendation.
  63. Mar 13, 2013
    Although the fighting is way too easy compared to Devil May Cry 3 (the only other DMC I've played) I thought this game was really good.
    People are saying that the characters suck, but IMO, they're not bad. Dante's young and carefree, kind of a douche but a very lovable one whose promiscuity and occasional abrasiveness are explained by his troubled past, and his personality suits the whole "we don't take ourselves too seriously" feel in the two DMC games that I've played. Maybe this is just me being a stupid fangirl but I found his character to be adorable in BOTH games.
    *SPOILER ALERT* To the people saying otherwise, Dante isn't an evil because the "baby" Virgil shot wasn't exactly a baby, and teasing Mundus, the guy who literally ripped his mother's heart out in front of his eyes was just a way to save humanity.
    Kat's nice, and Vergil was great with his pimp hat and psycho take over the world god complex at the end *SAFE TO READ*

To sum it up, the graphics weren't great but weren't bad, the story and characters were fun, not too believable, but that's on purpose. The boss fights were quite disappointing but the fights are pretty fun in the difficulties you unlock. I think all the bad reviews are from people who are so in love with the old franchise, and whose hopes were so high that they can't see how good this new game is.
  64. Mar 29, 2013
    DmC Devil May Cry is a great reboot that deserves more credit. I was skeptical of Dante's new appearance while reading previews and watching gameplay, but Dante's new look has zero effect on the amazing gameplay! I still thoroughly enjoyed this game and will play through it again. The story and cinematics were fantastic and enjoyable to watch and I felt engrossed in the story and wasDmC Devil May Cry is a great reboot that deserves more credit. I was skeptical of Dante's new appearance while reading previews and watching gameplay, but Dante's new look has zero effect on the amazing gameplay! I still thoroughly enjoyed this game and will play through it again. The story and cinematics were fantastic and enjoyable to watch and I felt engrossed in the story and was impressed how the developers brought everything together. The combat and weapons are insanely fun and made the game one of the better Devil May Cry titles to date. I do feel the game starts to drag towards the end and the pacing is slightly off, but overall it's still plays like a DmC title should. Expand
  65. May 14, 2013
    Devil May Cry is a Reboot/ remake to bring the series up to date as such it will and does not appeal to everyone for fans of the series most do not like it because gone are the puzzles of old and endless backtracking or grinding. Replaced with a faster more action orientated story based hack and slash hybrid shooter.

The same production team who brought us Heavenly sword which was one

The same production team who brought us Heavenly sword which was one of the best early ps3 releases. Ninja Theory in my opinion have done an overall great job in creating a credible new version of the game Dmc. The new combat system works well for the most part but sometimes seems to suffer a missing animation frame and response time is different than previous titles. Although you soon get used too how the new version plays.

Overall with sound trax from noisa, and Combi christ the music fits the game well and is great if youre a fan combi christ or noisa. the graphics are great and the game play switches smoothly from combat to cut scene and back again. The level design is high quality through out and you can see a lot of time has been spent on level design as now the levels are the puzzles as well. Most modern action games have a night club level in and the night club level in Dmc is about the best ive seen. since the nightclub in mass effect 3. Enemies are varied and many the boss battles are still great with all bosses having multiple health bars. there are 5 difficulties casual to very hard with more unlockable after that there are secret missions that you can use to farm gems to buy things in the main campaign too. there are online leader boards for each chapter and a bonus Bloody Palace which is hordes of enemies survive as many rounds as you can. Completion time 12 to 14hours on nephilim difficulty or above. So there is plenty of content and replayability. Over all a Great REboot and a game to try if you are new to the series or a fan of dante who likes the new style too
  66. Mar 20, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. There are lots of people that had preconceived notions with this game before playing it, and honestly I was one of them. I was a huge fan of the Devil May Cry Universe and the fact they could reboot a franchise that was sill very relevant made me angry. First of all I am not a fan of Dante or Virgile's new look. I also think the original Dante is one of the most bad ass heroes in gaming. However after playing DMC it won me over. As much as I loved the original Devil May Cry's the one thing they failed to do was tell a coherent story. Yes, each game had a clear objective but when you look at the 4 games before this one there are tons of plot holes that were never answered. Examples? Whatever happened to Dante after DMC2? Who exactly is NERO? Is it virgules' son or there youngest brother, or Virgil reincarnated? How did Dante and Virgil hate each other and why are there demons on earth? The good thing about the reboot if you give it a chance they actually do a good job at explaining some of these things. The only real difference from the original series was that Dante and Virgil are known as Nephlim which is half angels and half demons rather then half human/half demon. Other then that the rest of the story fits well into the DMC cannon. You see why Dante and Virgil come at odds, and if you hate Dante's new look don't worry it shows you how he gets his white hair. It also shows how Virgil goes from being a computer hacking demon hunter to a raging powerful bad ass. Is the combat a little slower then the other games? Yes, but it can still be challenging at times and its still very fun if you like these types of games. So if you are an old fan of the Devil May Cry series you may try to give this game a chance it's not as bad as you think. Expand
  67. May 19, 2013
    Don't feed the trolls!
    If you liked the previous DMC games, you will like this one.
    I think this is one of the best so far.
    I like this version better. It shows you what happened before he was a demon hunter.
  68. Apr 15, 2013
    I am a big fan of the devil may cry series on the PlayStation 2 and I do not care that the new Dante does not act like old Dante. Does anyone realize this is a reboot and not part of the original series! The story this time around is basically a retread of the first Devil May Cry, but instead of an island and a castle this time it is a city. The story actually makes you care about DanteI am a big fan of the devil may cry series on the PlayStation 2 and I do not care that the new Dante does not act like old Dante. Does anyone realize this is a reboot and not part of the original series! The story this time around is basically a retread of the first Devil May Cry, but instead of an island and a castle this time it is a city. The story actually makes you care about Dante and his brother Virgil, as it becomes a more of a personal tale. The gameplay might be easier, but that does not mean it is not fun. With the multiple weapons and combos there are limitless option for dealing damage to your enemies. The SSS ranking has become really easy to get, but bump the difficultly up and then try to achieve it. There are not enough boss fights in my opinion, but one stands out. I will not spoil it, but it's about half way through the game and is probably the most unique battle in the game. The graphics are not really impressive but are cool in their own right. The soundtrack is not my type of music but if your into heavy rock/metal you will enjoy it. This new Devil May Cry is just plain and simply "cool" and it makes you want to come back and chase the leader boards for a higher score. Expand
  69. Apr 21, 2013
    Ok, first off, to hell with anyone who gave this game below a five. Most of you guys wrote the review on the day of release. my thoughts? they all are a preemptive assault to try to slander what is a GREAT game. so please, you are a coherent human being, avoid the hooting dick-holes. and to said hooting dick-holes; grow up and off.

REVIEW TIME: this is an AWESOME game. over the top

REVIEW TIME: this is an AWESOME game. over the top action and furious style are dealt in spades here. absolutely stunning level design and combo chaining the likes of which the DMC 3 and 4 have trouble contending. if you're a fan of the series, give it a go. the aesthetic ma be different but the game is all DMC all the time.
  70. Apr 3, 2013
    It's a great game. I've been a fan of Devil May Cry since it demo'd long ago with another Capcom game. But I feel like they lost direction after the original. Devil May Cry 2 was great to play, I like Dantes look and the art but the story was That's when I started losing interest. I still bought and played all 4 games, but didn't care for it as much as I did when playing the original.It's a great game. I've been a fan of Devil May Cry since it demo'd long ago with another Capcom game. But I feel like they lost direction after the original. Devil May Cry 2 was great to play, I like Dantes look and the art but the story was That's when I started losing interest. I still bought and played all 4 games, but didn't care for it as much as I did when playing the original. Although I like Devil May Cry, I actually thoroughly enjoy the reinvented DMC: Devil May Cry. The story is great, characters are fantastic, the acting and reactions, the gameplay, the art and feel, the amazing soundtrack fits very well in my opinion. It's annoying when fanboy/fangirls don't give this game a real chance. Stop that it's not just like the older Devil May Cry games. It's not a remake, it's a reimagining! I will admit I liked the idea when I first read about DMC. Then after awhile I was starting to worry. Thinking it might be mediocre like 2, 3 and 4. Well 3 was decent. But DMC caught my eye and I thought they did an amazing job. It's great, A new, fresh beginning and I feel it will get even better with the sequel. Expand
  71. Apr 6, 2013
    Great combat. The different weapons flow very well together and makes juggling fun. Fast paced with nice puzzles. Ive been a dmc fan from the start and this didn't disappoint. Music fits very well and the story is just amazing. My only gripe is it felt like a true prequel rather then a reboot. Either way i hope to see more.
  72. Apr 4, 2014
    This is a low 8/10. I didn't complete nearly half the content the game has to offer. For the simple reason that this type of game really doesn't appeal to me. Now why would I give a game that doesn't appeal to me an 8/10? Well first off this is my first entry into the devil may cry franchise. And for what it is, they did a really good job with this origin story (as far as origin storiesThis is a low 8/10. I didn't complete nearly half the content the game has to offer. For the simple reason that this type of game really doesn't appeal to me. Now why would I give a game that doesn't appeal to me an 8/10? Well first off this is my first entry into the devil may cry franchise. And for what it is, they did a really good job with this origin story (as far as origin stories go). I couldn't get into doing the secret areas. I couldn't really get into the environments. I didn't really like alot of the characters. The game is hampered by it's low resolution of 720p...which is a real pity.

Why the 8? The game is absolutely beautiful...even with it's 720p handicap. The enemies the weapons....Dante's movements....the physics...everything is top knotch. The acting is even pretty good (alot better than resident evil). Like I said I didn't feel the need to learn all the combo's or complete the higher difficulties or do the secret areas. It just didn't appeal to me. I played to advance the story while marveling at how cool the fighting in the game was. That said, you can pull off some really brutally satisfying combo's in this game. Combat is fun in this game, period. There are a ton of weapons and it's satisfying to vary your attacks. Also the slow motion final blow to the enemies in the area is just awesome every time. It's fun.

My major gripes with the game were that I felt (when not in combat) like I was on rails most of the time. I didn't feel any connection or understanding toward the environment I was fighting in. So it was hard to feel anything toward the universe past the individual characters in the story. The boss battles were all very satisfying. The music was superb.
    1 problem was the ranged weapons, mainly ebony and ivory the iconic dual pistols of dante. They are terrible WEAK in this game. Their special powers ad combo's do next to no damage they are there to look badass and increase style points (the point system). I get what they were trying to do though. Being able to kill everyone with your pistols would detract from the game. SO their only real use is to look badass and to keep the style meter going (which is important).
    I really really enjoyed the final boss fight in this game. It was just so well done and so satisfying to play. It really made me want to go out and buy the sequel on the offchance I might get to experience another boss battle like that. The game didn't appeal to me, but I can appreciate a good game when I see one. 8/10.
  73. Jun 17, 2013
    The Game has solid overall gameplay but the characters are far too different from the original characters, The original games are much better but this game is very good but should have gone with a different title because it is too different from the original games
  74. Jul 2, 2013
    DMC does nearly everything right. Cool graphics, very fast and motivating gameplay and great characters. I can't understand, why the old school- fans are crying about the new dante. Furthermore, the overall style of the game is just great. Did you even play it? Just do it. you will get some of the (graphically) best designed levels ever.
  75. Nov 19, 2013
    Fantastic game! I really didn't expect to have this much fun when I started playing. It's making me want to take it slow and enjoy the awesome world depicted in the game for fear of finishing it too fast and not finding something else as good. I created an account on metacritic just now to write this review for one great game. One of the best of this generation.

If you notice all the

If you notice all the 'Negative' reviews on here are for fans of the PS2 games dissing it for no good reason. The game improves upon the older games in every aspect. Yes, I have played the older games and I like this one a lot better.
  76. Jan 24, 2014
    DmC is my biggest surprise of the year, and it is a shame that short-sighted fans have condemned the reboot simply based on Dante's character design.

To start, I have played all the Devil May Cry's and DmC is my favorite. DmC is more fun, more clever and more stylized that all the DMCs before it. Switching between weapons mid-combo is a blast. You never know what to expect in limbo, and it is awesome to watch levels transform as you make your way through them.

The most important thing to note though, is that the new Dante is so much more relatable than the old Dante. The first time a ridiculous demon appears and the level transforms, and Dante says, "What the **** **** You will be right there with him.
  77. Apr 6, 2014
    I played because it in PS plus, and woah! I really like it. Full action packed game, challenging combats that makes you think how to beat enemies that have weak and strong points. I also found characters more charismatic than in the former games.
  78. Apr 30, 2014
    I myself like the game entirely. Graphic wise it was a piece of art. The game style and the play remind me a bit of infamous so I could jump in right away. Also its a new story so any one could jump in and understand a bit what is going on.
    Overall I give this game a ten since even after you play it over and over its still pretty good and the hardest difficulty is really amazing, a good experience.
  79. May 4, 2014
    An absolutely fantastic and true addition to the DMC universe. Being a dedicated fan od the original series that has played through all versions multiple times (especially 4), I can honestly say that this game fits in almost perfectly, and I dont say this in a negative way. Everything from the combat, environments, soundtracks and storytelling fell DMC, but they refreshingly are not justAn absolutely fantastic and true addition to the DMC universe. Being a dedicated fan od the original series that has played through all versions multiple times (especially 4), I can honestly say that this game fits in almost perfectly, and I dont say this in a negative way. Everything from the combat, environments, soundtracks and storytelling fell DMC, but they refreshingly are not just more of the same. The combat fundamentals I suppose are easier to master, however the endless possibilities for strategies and of course combos are what sets this version apart. Being able to switch weapons instantly mid combo is such a leap above having to pause the game there isnt much argument here. The wide open level design with floaty platforms are such a pleasure to float through with the angel lift, and the atmospheric soundtracks really add to the sense of flying. The story pays so much to the original lore a true fan cannot helped to be moved by it. I m quite upset that I, like many others, passed this title up originally just on the character redesign (which actually plays so nicely into this prequel). I can only imagine how incredible a sequel would be from NT, heres hoping capcom gives them the opportunity. Expand
  80. Jun 30, 2014
    Finished the game & the Vergil's Downfall DLC. I must say, i'm impressed. Haven't play any of the DmC game before, so this is my first experience with the series. This game is awesome. Story of Dante & Vergil, the son of Eve & Sparda, Angel & Demon. Makes them a being called Nephilim. The only race that could defeat the demon king, Mundus. The story is quite simple though, just Dante,Finished the game & the Vergil's Downfall DLC. I must say, i'm impressed. Haven't play any of the DmC game before, so this is my first experience with the series. This game is awesome. Story of Dante & Vergil, the son of Eve & Sparda, Angel & Demon. Makes them a being called Nephilim. The only race that could defeat the demon king, Mundus. The story is quite simple though, just Dante, seeking revenge for killing his mother, while Vergil is trying to find "Freedom".

Plus point:
    - The new Dante is super badass! Like the coolest action hero for 2013. He is totally a memorable character.
    - A great battle system. Combo, combo, & combo. You can make your own combination and make an endless combo.
    - Well weapon style that can be upgraded, brings the battle to a whole new level. Maxed out all of your weapon level and you will have a superb Dante.

Minus point:
    - While the story is okay, the DLC's story was just crap. I mean it's cool that we get to play as Vergil, but the story itself is a total crap.
    - I don't usually play this kind of game. I started with the Demon Hunter difficulty, and it proves to be real hard for me. I guess the game itself is hard enough.

I enjoyed the game, although i'm not a fan of that genre. 8/10 for a great game.
  81. Feb 8, 2015
    Its sad some people opened up a bunch of fake accounts just to bash on this great game, the combat was very fun but not perfect, the story was excellent too... The game did not receive one bad review from the critics, but gamers they love their soap opera stories, and Dantes long hair.
  82. Dec 21, 2014
    This game was fun and beautifully designed. New Dante is fresh, badass, and has attitude. Unlike Capcom, Ninja Theory is actually capable of writing decent dialogue, so there's that as well. The story is somewhat stereotypical with a fairly obvious twist built in, but these games aren't really played for their story. The level design was unique and visually appealing. Here are my mainThis game was fun and beautifully designed. New Dante is fresh, badass, and has attitude. Unlike Capcom, Ninja Theory is actually capable of writing decent dialogue, so there's that as well. The story is somewhat stereotypical with a fairly obvious twist built in, but these games aren't really played for their story. The level design was unique and visually appealing. Here are my main complaints: there is a fair amount of platforming, which in itself isn't bad, but coupled with some awkward controls and poor depth perception it could get frustrating. Dante and Vergil were decent characters, but their female helper was a little over-dramatic. All in all, DmC: Devil May Cry was a really fun game, and if you must compare it to the original series, it was a solid reboot with many good changes. Expand

1. Jul 30, 2013
    If nothing else, DmC is sure to entertain with many hours of button hammering, fizzing combat. However, the experience as whole has hugely benefitted from a reboot and those who are familiar with the series will appreciate the new features and relish the opportunity relive Dante’s origin story. DmC, as a combat driven action title has held together the soul of the franchise, while enhancing all in-game features to create a unique experience for everyone.
  2. Ninja Theory deserves credit for not only delivering smooth combat and telling an entertaining story, but also for crafting detailed character models without lip-synch errors, who show real emotion and wear clothing that moves along with them. This is what a 2013-game should look like. [February 2013, p.72]
  3. Mar 12, 2013
    Ninja Theory are calling the DMC shots now and they're doing it well. The fighting mechanics are a little bit easier to master and perhaps not as deep as before, but on the other hand the storytelling is improved with skillfully crafted cutscenes. Put up with a rather dull introduction and you're in for a great game.